PDA

View Full Version : Sfa

greenlex
22-02-2020, 07:26 PM
They really are making it hard for themselves.
Arbroath v Ayr abandoned at 1-1. Abandoned because of the wind. Apparently a wind that was no worse when they abandoned it than at the start. Arbroath play with the wind first half and can’t get an advantage . Ayr play well and go into the break even. They then don’t get the wind advantage as it’s abandoned. Something not right there IMO.

PaulSmith
22-02-2020, 07:42 PM
The game was a farce, Ayr Utd manager accepted the decision but did say he was frustrated.

What do you think the motive for the referee abandoning the game was, do you think it was preconceived and an easy one to make?

Box 17
22-02-2020, 07:45 PM
Probably the decision to abandon was taken by the match referee and not the SFA.

Sammy7nil
22-02-2020, 07:46 PM
The game was a farce, Ayr Utd manager accepted the decision but did say he was frustrated.

What do you think the motive for the referee abandoning the game was, do you think it was preconceived and an easy one to make?

I agree with the original poster if the weather had not got worse why abandon the game :rolleyes::confused: if I had battled the conditions i would be looking forward to them being in my favour.

greenlex
22-02-2020, 07:48 PM

I think Dick Campbell was in his ear. If Arbroath has been 2 or 3 up he wouldn’t have been. Mark Kerr just seemed to go with the flow. He said having asked for the ref to call it off during the first half he would have been hypocritical to appeal the decision to abandon in the second in similar circumstances although felt somewhat aggrieved his team wasn’t afforded the advantage Arbroath had been given.

greenlex
22-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Probably the decision to abandon was taken by the match referee and not the SFA.

The ref is the SFA representative.

PaulSmith
22-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Seemed a logical and sensible decision to make, the games a farce and it’s a draw at HT. Come back and do it again on a better day.

I’m fairly certain that what Dick did or didn’t say wouldn’t make any odds to the decision.

mcohibs
22-02-2020, 08:02 PM
I agree with the original poster if the weather had not got worse why abandon the game :rolleyes::confused: if I had battled the conditions i would be looking forward to them being in my favour.

I suppose you wouldn't properly gauge how the wind was affecting a game of football until you actually started the game. Strange it took until half time to realise it shouldn't be played. Maybe the wind did get worse though? Wouldn't know without being there

greenlex
22-02-2020, 08:23 PM
I suppose you wouldn't properly gauge how the wind was affecting a game of football until you actually started the game. Strange it took until half time to realise it shouldn't be played. Maybe the wind did get worse though? Wouldn't know without being there

Fans that were there were saying that was the case.

Ryan91
22-02-2020, 08:24 PM

I seem to recall Arbroath having a game abandoned previously due to high winds, though in this case it was fairly obvious why it was abandoned as the keeper took a free kick into the wind from inside the box and ended up catching the ball from said kick.

mcohibs
22-02-2020, 08:30 PM
Fans that were there were saying that was the case.

Fair enough. You'd think ref would realise after a few minutes that game was unplayable. Strange one

oneone73
22-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Fair enough. You'd think ref would realise after a few minutes that game was unplayable. Strange one

Am I right in thinking: no refunds if it gets to halftime?

greenlex
22-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Am I right in thinking: no refunds if it gets to halftime?

I think Arbroath to their credit gave fans a voucher when they went in to gain entry to a rearranged fixture if it was abandoned anytime. As has been previously said there’s previous.

lord bunberry
22-02-2020, 09:41 PM
It’s absolutely farcical. To call the game off at half time when they deemed the conditions appropriate to start the game is a joke. Reading the comments from the fans that were there only confirms that.

Hibeesmad
22-02-2020, 09:41 PM
Embarrassing.

AFKA5814_Hibs
22-02-2020, 09:51 PM
Gayfield at Arbroath has a reputation for having most games called off cause of the wind. Anybody who's been to Arbroath will be quite aware of this. Should have been called off before the game today.

calumhibee1
22-02-2020, 09:55 PM
Gayfield at Arbroath has a reputation for having most games called off cause of the wind. Anybody who's been to Arbroath will be quite aware of this. Should have been called off before the game today.

Is Arbroath the one with the hedge down the side of the pitch?

StevieT
22-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Is Arbroath the one with the hedge down the side of the pitch?

No. That is Brechin. Arbroath backs on to the sea though

JimBHibees
23-02-2020, 06:51 AM

Yes think it is the windiest pitch on the planet.

delbert
23-02-2020, 07:32 AM
The ref is the SFA representative.

Going by that logic, so are both clubs !

greenlex
23-02-2020, 07:41 AM
Going by that logic, so are both clubs !
Aye that’s right enough. The clubs can call it off if they feel they don’t think it’s playable.