PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 22 02 20)

Jonnyboy
22-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Today was yet another wet and windy one with rain and snow swirling around and another ninety minutes where the conditions affected the play and had me celebrating the opening goal in a way I’d rather have avoided, but more of that later.

On the way to the ground it was tweeted that Hibs would go with the same starting eleven that had won last time out. In fact, it was the same bench too but as the players warmed up, Newell left the pitch and was clearly unable to play so Jack Ross drafted Lewis Stevenson into the starting eleven and replaced him on the bench with Melker Hallberg. The manager stuck with the same formation too as his men lined up in a 3-5-2 that matched their opponents who had a familiar face making his debut in Efe Ambrose.

From the off it became apparent that Livi were not just here to defend as they attacked at every opportunity whilst trying to stifle Hibs with a high press when not in possession. The lively Dykes went close with a header and Sibbald fired over from range. At the other end, a fine run by Boyle was thwarted when his attempted cross hit the first defender. Docherty was next to try his luck with a fierce left footed drive from the edge of the box which McCrorie did well to save.

Around the half hour mark, Boyle’s attempted cross struck the outstretched arm of Taylor-Sinclair and referee Alan Newlands promptly pointed to the penalty spot. Up stepped Scott Allan whose effort was low and heading for the corner of the net but McCrorie had guessed the right way and made a fantastic save to push the ball around the post. Minutes later a rocket shot by Sibbald was tipped over the bar by the alert Marciano.

With half time approaching, both sides attacked when given the chance but decision making for the killer pass was not in evidence. Twice in rapid succession both Allan and Boyle chose the wrong option whilst at the other end Lawless was too selfish in taking on a shot when a pass to the unmarked Dykes could have provided a better reward.

During the interval there was more rain/snow and although I sit as far back as row N in the East the flooring around me got pretty wet. Five minutes in to the half I found out just how precarious your footing can get on such a surface as Docherty’s shot was steered home by Christian Doidge. I saw the ball hit the net but lost my footing and tumbled head first over the seats in front of me and ended up flat on my back injuring my right knee and pulling a muscle in my left thigh. I think that in future I’ll just sit and applaud any goals! Doidge was, of course, quite unaware of my swan dive and rightly celebrated his 17th goal of the season.

Unfortunately the Hibs lead was short lived. Five minutes after scoring, Hibs conceded when a ball from midfield caught the defence sleeping as Lawless struck a cross to the far post for the unmarked Taylor-Sinclair to steer a shot past Rocky at his near post.

For a brief period, Hibs struggled to retain possession and Livi might have scored again but Pittman scooped an effort over the bar from close range. That scare seemed to wake Hibs up and for the closing minutes of the game they threw everything at Livi but could not find a way past the impressive McCrorie.

Settling for a point was disappointing, especially considering Aberdeen lost and ten man Motherwell scraped a point. In truth though, we were not at our best today though we did extend our long unbeaten run of games at home.

The players

Marciano – Rocky has been the subject of some criticism of late for his distribution but today I saw a marked improvement and lost count of the number of times he picked out McGinn with a precise pass. Might he have done better at the goal? I’m not sure and would like to see it again.

McGinn – Another solid performance from Paul who just goes about his job with a minimum of fuss. I think he could have done with more support from Boyle at times but the guy just never looks panicked.

Jackson – Big Adam defended well and held his own against the lively Lyndon Dykes.

Hanlon – Apart from one horror pass I thought Paul played well today and I was concerned when he went down injured after a bad challenge by McMillan who was booked for the foul.

Boyle – The sight of Boyle running full pelt at defenders is awesome to see but today things just didn’t go for him at all. On several occasions he simply ran into traffic and lost the ball as a result. He also picked up a yellow for dissent but I can see why he was angry at the award of a foul when the Livi man just ran in to him.

Slivka – Another game in which Viki provided solid play alongside some sloppy stuff. He works hard but lacks real pace and often gets caught on the wrong side of his man. On the plus side, he intercepted two or three dangerous passes that may have proved costly had they reached their target.

Docherty – On a day when nobody really excelled he was the best of the bunch once again. His reading of the game is superb and he is almost always safe in possession. The first half shot referred to earlier was a peach and might have beaten any other keeper but McCrorie was solid throughout. Greg, for the third game running, gets my man of the match award.

Allan – There is no doubt that Scott’s work rate is up there with the best but again today his passing was below par. I thought he struck the penalty well enough but when the keeper guesses right there’s always a chance it will be saved.

Stevenson – Lewis grafted away as usual and contrary to popular belief he can in fact cross a ball which he did well on a number of occasions today.

Doidge – I don’t think I’ve seen Christian beaten so often in the air as he was today. Guthrie certainly had the measure of him aerially but thankfully was nowhere to be seen at the opening goal.

McNulty – One of the things I like about Marc is his ability to be on the shoulder of the last man but today he seemed out of sorts and didn’t have the best of games if truth be told.

Murray – Fraser got a good half hour and was pretty much involved throughout, hitting a cracking left foot drive that was well saved. His crossing is normally very good but his corners were poor although the conditions might have been at play here.

Gullan – I’d like to have seen Jamie on sooner but he got twenty minutes at least and looked busy throughout. We never really got the chance to see his hammer of a shot as Livi defended well around their eighteen yard line.

Horgan – Daryl buzzed about as usual without making any real impact.

Jack Ross – I’ve not heard his interview and wonder if he is as disappointed as I am. Perhaps disappointed is too strong an emotion – more like frustrated is a better choice.

The fans – Despite the attendance figure announced I’d estimate the numbers to be quite a bit less than 15.5k.

Alan Newlands – Was booed off at half time though I’m not entirely sure why as he’d done little to earn it. I’m just glad he didn’t hop into the East to book me for my dive!

hibsbollah
22-02-2020, 06:39 PM
Hope you're feeling better Jonny! Good to read as usual.

hfc rd
22-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Top report again JB. Hope you are feeling alright after your fall. Seems a very sore one!

DaveF
22-02-2020, 06:48 PM
You are a bit old for the stage diving John. I hope the injuries are not too bad.

Largely agree with your assessment. Middle to front we were quite poor. I'd really like to see Allan hit some form soon. He's a frustrating watch (and I assume he is too) as he is working hard but things are just not happening for him.

Mikey
22-02-2020, 06:49 PM
Watch yourself John. Maybe it's time to retire to the west stand :tee hee:

3pm
22-02-2020, 06:52 PM
I liked McGinn's performance today(my mom) but caveat that by saying I'd want to see who was marking the guy who scored.

Seveno
22-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover soon.

Billy Whizz
22-02-2020, 06:59 PM
Great report, but I’m not having that tumble, JB
Should have held onto Willie’s beard

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2020, 06:59 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy as usual

Come and join us oldies over in the West Upper

We stand up for no one!

No chips though

:dunno:

Onceinawhile
22-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Hope you're alright.

I thought docherty was great until he got skudded in the head with the ball. Thought he looked off the pace after that tbh.

I was amazed the ref didn't stop play for it and couldn't believe that rocky didn't put it out, despite half the defence telling him too. Of course about 2 minutes later they equalised.

BoomtownHibees
22-02-2020, 07:14 PM
It was some dive JB. Just about as bad as the Livi player trying for the pen in the first half

Billy Whizz
22-02-2020, 07:24 PM
It was some dive JB. Just about as bad as the Livi player trying for the pen in the first half

And wasn’t even booked
Wonder what Keatings thought of it

Sammy7nil
22-02-2020, 07:33 PM
My friend did a similar dive against AEK I hope you feel better soon.

snedzuk
22-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Your dive sounds slightly worse than Dykes cheating one in the first half

Tyler Durden
22-02-2020, 07:42 PM
Stevenson and Slivka were very poor IMO and really slowed any momentum in the first half. I understand the conditions were tough and players would be a bit cautious. But both of these guys look backwards as their first instinct and it’s not what we need.

The lack of aggression and urgency to defend and stop the cross for Livi’s goal was criminal. Stevenson basically just stood back and let Lawless pick his pass. It’s happened far too much this season and continues to cost us points

matty_f
22-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Hope you're alright after your fall, JB. 👍

Kojock
22-02-2020, 07:48 PM
“Up stepped Scott Allan whose effort was low and heading for the corner of the net but McCrorie had guessed the right way and made a fantastic save to push the ball around the post”

I was in the west stand and thought Allans spot kick was poor and an easy save for their keeper. Scotty never got into the game today. He hit six corners in the first half none of which troubled the Livi defence. Wasn't surprised when he was replaced.

PS. I’m glad you didn’t take a tumble at Killie as you would’ve fell on top of me. Hope you’re ok mate.

Bobby's Cinema
22-02-2020, 07:53 PM
Hope you make a full recovery.

I think it’s a half decent and fair point. Don’t think we created all that much to fully deserve the win, and avoided a killer sucker punch.

Individually, Murray I thought made a good impact when he came on, would like to see more. Boyle at times has a lot on his shoulders to provide the spark, love watching him was unfortunate nothing quiet fell for him today.

Jonnyboy
22-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes folks. Am bruised and sore but I'll live :faf:

Lago
22-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes folks. Am bruised and sore but I'll live :faf:
Look forward to your reports, love their honesty, keep well.

Eyrie
22-02-2020, 09:43 PM
Appreciate these threads so hope you pass your fitness test for Friday's game.

Speedway
22-02-2020, 10:11 PM
On the match day thread there was a lot of praise for our play but for me, we’re not slick, we’re not quick and we’re not hungry.

Ross’ results are fair enough since he came in but I’m not confident about us yet and we have some bang average players.

hhibs
22-02-2020, 10:19 PM
On the match day thread there was a lot of praise for our play but for me, we’re not slick, we’re not quick and we’re not hungry.

Ross’ results are fair enough since he came in but I’m not confident about us yet and we have some bang average players.

:top marks

Deansy
22-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Sorry if already posted but I found highlights on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhgDCLHt5Oo

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2020, 10:28 PM

:agree:

Said to the guy beside me at Half time build up was slow and ponderous they were picking up everything in midfield it was back to watching a Hecky team got to take a gift like a penalty when it is offered to you

Second half once again they were picking up everything in midfield

Docherty took a lot of punishment and was a deserved MOM as he never gave up

wookie70
22-02-2020, 11:29 PM
I thought Docherty was the best player in the first half but wasn't up to much in the last 30 minutes when we really needed him. Rocky again has questions to answer for the goal as I think most keepers come and claim that ball. As it was he anticipated the striker missing it and actually did a good job getting out the way of the ball which was right in the middle of the goal. Stevenson should have made more of an effort stopping the cross and Boyle was terrible tracking back.

The whole performance from start to finis was poor with big players like Allan and McNulty not at the races. Again I thought Jackson was good and Hanlong barring one poor back pass was very good again. We missed Newell in open play but also set pieces which were terrible from Allan and not much better from Murray. The manager had an off day too imo as a 442 was called for much earlier and shouldn't have been abandoned as quickly as it was.

greenlex
23-02-2020, 07:50 AM
I thought Docherty was the best player in the first half but wasn't up to much in the last 30 minutes when we really needed him. Rocky again has questions to answer for the goal as I think most keepers come and claim that ball. As it was he anticipated the striker missing it and actually did a good job getting out the way of the ball which was right in the middle of the goal. Stevenson should have made more of an effort stopping the cross and Boyle was terrible tracking back.

The whole performance from start to finis was poor with big players like Allan and McNulty not at the races. Again I thought Jackson was good and Hanlong barring one poor back pass was very good again. We missed Newell in open play but also set pieces which were terrible from Allan and not much better from Murray. The manager had an off day too imo as a 442 was called for much earlier and shouldn't have been abandoned as quickly as it was.
Thought Murray’s corners were decent.

wookie70
23-02-2020, 08:36 AM
Thought Murray’s corners were decent. He put them in at pace bit most were overhit imo

eastcoasthibby
23-02-2020, 08:59 AM
I liked McGinn's performance today(my mom) but caveat that by saying I'd want to see who was marking the guy who scored.

Think you questioning this is right I think2 off our central defender got pulled to far to the front post and Boyle I suspect should have tracked the scorer but a bit better positioning and maybe McGinn could have challenged the cross better ..though as usual the line hugging Rocky is asked a question ...

PeeJay
23-02-2020, 09:16 AM
Good report as ever - thought Boyle should have done much much better marking their scorer and Horgan played one sublime pass to Stevenson or was it Hanlon? (in the box) which almost resulted in a goal ... watching from the comfort of my home chair I thought the wind spoiled many passes that on another day would have been fine - Overall I thought we lacked composure, organisation and an absolute will to win - draw a fair result, but we really should be doing better than this. Glad your injury didn't prevent you getting in the report - best take more care.. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
23-02-2020, 09:29 AM

You witnessed it then? 😁

BoomtownHibees
23-02-2020, 09:31 AM
You witnessed it then? 😁

Aye 😁

Sit in the row behind you, a few seats along. Hope the pain isn’t too bad today

hibee_girl
23-02-2020, 09:34 AM
Good report as ever - thought Boyle should have done much much better marking their scorer and Horgan played one sublime pass to Stevenson or was it Hanlon? (in the box) which almost resulted in a goal ... watching from the comfort of my home chair I thought the wind spoiled many passes that on another day would have been fine - Overall I thought we lacked composure, organisation and an absolute will to win - draw a fair result, but we really should be doing better than this. Glad your injury didn't prevent you getting in the report - best take more care.. :greengrin

It was Hanlon.

Horgan came on for Stevenson

Jonnyboy
23-02-2020, 09:39 AM
Aye 😁

Sit in the row behind you, a few seats along. Hope the pain isn’t too bad today

Bit bruised and sore but confident of being fit for Friday 😁

hibbyfraelibby
23-02-2020, 09:42 AM
The SFA Compliance Officer is rumoured to be reviewing CCTV footage of your "dive" with a view to citing you for simulation. The panel from the Keatings case is being recalled to deal with any appeal.

Sudds_1
23-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Im in row q j just above you. ...nearly did the same thing! Couldnt feel my feet and almost went over!! Hope your ok....

Sudds_1
23-02-2020, 10:31 AM
The SFA Compliance Officer is rumoured to be reviewing CCTV footage of your "dive" with a view to citing you for simulation. The panel from the Keatings case is being recalled to deal with any appeal.

Ok...lets start the "justice for the row N one" campaign !! 😃

Pilrig_Sauzee
23-02-2020, 10:42 AM
From FF lower, where you get a good look at the corner action, my view is that Murray’s corners were a little over hit and too much loop. Think he was always trying to catch Jackson coming in at the back, but not quite on it. But he’s clearly working on dead balls and reckon this will come good. So keep it up!!

Someone needs to tell him he’s in the team on merit and needs to believe in himself a bit more though. Occasionally he looks a bit lost like he’s waiting for the older guys to tell him what to do. When he goes for it he’s better value..

Overall disappointed to draw, and allthough we lacked spark sometimes, for me credit goes to Livii for being solid organised and clear in their game plan.

skyhibs
23-02-2020, 02:27 PM
Stevenson and Slivka were very poor IMO and really slowed any momentum in the first half. I understand the conditions were tough and players would be a bit cautious. But both of these guys look backwards as their first instinct and it’s not what we need.

The lack of aggression and urgency to defend and stop the cross for Livi’s goal was criminal. Stevenson basically just stood back and let Lawless pick his pass. It’s happened far too much this season and continues to cost us points

Good review of the game I was at.... only three players with pass marks for me.... i thought the effort that was put in today was unacceptable... we need to apply ourselves better or we will be lucky to stay in the top 6. Slivka was absolutely murder and like a man short..

CMurdoch
23-02-2020, 04:32 PM

This post is closest to how I saw the game.
The match turned on the weather, Newells absence for set pieces and the penalty miss,
Re the Livingston goal, Docherty should have gone fully to ground to get the game stopped when he was hit in the face with the ball. He was still struggling with this facial injury a minute later when Allan passed the ball to him in midfield and as a result he was easily dispossessed by Sibbald which led directly to the goal 10 seconds later. This is part of game management.
Biggest mistake at the goal was down to Boyle who had tracked the goalscorer before inexplicably hammering on the brakes just before the vital moment.
Rocky should have come off his line to get to the pitch of the ball and at least block the shot. Not sure if he thought Boyle had the situation in hand but more likely just another case of being araldited to his line.

Johnny,
Boylers show of dissent that got him booked was daft given he had intentionally obstructed the Livi player. This can be clearly seen on the shot taken from behind the Hibs goal.
Get well soon and get a season ticket slightly higher up for next season.

AlbertK86
24-02-2020, 07:33 AM

Saved me a post .... completely agree ...... we loose so many goals from that area of the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertK86
24-02-2020, 07:37 AM
This post is closest to how I saw the game.
The match turned on the weather, Newells absence for set pieces and the penalty miss,
Re the Livingston goal, Docherty should have gone fully to ground to get the game stopped when he was hit in the face with the ball. He was still struggling with this facial injury a minute later when Allan passed the ball to him in midfield and as a result he was easily dispossessed by Sibbald which led directly to the goal 10 seconds later. This is part of game management.
Biggest mistake at the goal was down to Boyle who had tracked the goalscorer before inexplicably hammering on the brakes just before the vital moment.
Rocky should have come off his line to get to the pitch of the ball and at least block the shot. Not sure if he thought Boyle had the situation in hand but more likely just another case of being araldited to his line.

Johnny,
Boylers show of dissent that got him booked was daft given he had intentionally obstructed the Livi player. This can be clearly seen on the shot taken from behind the Hibs goal.
Get well soon and get a season ticket slightly higher up for next season.

To me the biggest mistake at their goal was Neither Slivka or Stevenson getting to the ball and giving the guy freedom to cross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sean04
24-02-2020, 07:45 AM
Missed newells set piece delivery on sat. 11 corners we had

Onceinawhile
24-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Missed newells set piece delivery on sat. 11 corners we had

Big style. Lucky if one of them was decent.

Hibiza
24-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Need two quality full backs.