PDA

View Full Version : Who’s the next penalty taker?

hfc rd
22-02-2020, 05:24 PM
After Allan’s poor attempt today, who’s the next penalty taker going to be?

I personally want Hanlon. I’m sure he’s got a pretty good record from the spot when called upon in a penalty shootout.

hibee_girl
22-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Docherty.

calumhibee1
22-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Still Allan. He’s scored plenty this season. If it had to be changed then Docherty.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Hanlon always hits a good penalty. Has Doidge had a chance yet?

wookie70
22-02-2020, 05:27 PM

I personally want Hanlon. I’m sure he’s got a pretty good record from the spot when called upon in a penalty shootout.
I'm the same. He looks confident. I never thought Allan would score. He was having a poor game, his corners were terrible and as soon as he does an exaggerated run up I feel he isn't confident. Poor effort as was McNultys.

green with envy
22-02-2020, 05:28 PM

His effort from the spot against Arbroath pre season was really poor. He never stood up against Stirling in the cup a week or 2 later which suggests to me that he's possibly not that comfortable from the spot.

Hibee Mac
22-02-2020, 05:29 PM

Come on, we all know that Doidge would take a terrible penalty. Finishing is not his strong point, he can score goals don't get me wrong but there's a reason he's not stepped up for one and I'd not be confident if he did.

Keith_M
I reckon I could do better than Allan did today, and I'm double his age with a dodgy hip.

danhibees1875
Hanlon hits them well.

I'd imagine docherty would do well too.

I think I heard Doidge used to score a few although I wouldn't have thought that would have been to his strengths.

I wouldn't mind overly if Allan kept taking them either, I'd be more interested in getting him off corners.

J-C
22-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Give it to Boyle or Hanlon.

jacomo
22-02-2020, 05:41 PM

Rocky.

No one - even him - would know where it was headed. Net buster every time.

Aim Here
22-02-2020, 05:45 PM
Rocky.

No one - even him - would know where it was headed. Net buster every time.

With his kicking ability, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he scored an own goal from the opposition's penalty spot.

Argylehibby
22-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Said it before but Paul Hanlon should be taking them. Cool as a cucumber in penalty shootout situations don't think he's ever missed .

cameronw-hfc
22-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Hanlon all day

CloudSquall
22-02-2020, 05:56 PM
I've always liked the idea of a CB taking penalties as they usually put the boot through it and take the net with it.

3pm
22-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Just do it.

Gmack7
22-02-2020, 06:03 PM
i felt at the game we had 2 good shouts for penalties in the 2nd half. i haven't seen any replays though

3pm
22-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Just do it.

Sorry about that admins.

HappyAsHellas
22-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Give it to Boyle or Hanlon.

Never let Boyle take a penalty - remember Tannadice?

The Sundance Kid
22-02-2020, 06:39 PM
Penalty records for Hibs for the current squad:
Paul Hanlon scored 4 out of 4 (100% record)
Tom James scored 2 out of 2 (100% record)
Fraser Murray scored 2 out of 2 (100% record)
Daryl Horgan scored 1 out of 1 (100% record)
Vykintas Slivka scored 1 out of 1 (100% record)
Joe Newell scored 1 out of 1 (100% record)
Lewis Stevenson scored 1 out of 1 (100% record)
Martin Boyle scored 4 out of 5 (80% record)
Stevie Mallan scored 4 out of 5 (80% record)
Scott Allan scored 6 out of 8 (75% record)
Steven Whittaker scored 2 out of 3 (67% record)
Marc McNulty scored 3 out of 5 (60% record)
David Gray scored 0 out of 1 (0% record)

Unseen work
22-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Allan, it doesn’t change after missing one pen.

HibeeHibernian4
22-02-2020, 06:47 PM

It should. He has one technique and that’s a soft side foot. Any keeper who’s done their homework on his style will have a very good chance of saving him.

neil7908
22-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Agreed

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2020, 06:56 PM
Milligan .....Sorry Hanlon! :greengrin

Mikey
22-02-2020, 06:59 PM
I didn't think it was a poor penalty. He hit it well but the keeper went the right way.

1875Sean
22-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Can’t keep changing after one miss, keep on Allan if he is confident

wookie70
22-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Allan has scored 4 and missed 3 penalties. He should be bottom of the list imo

DaveF
22-02-2020, 07:06 PM
I didn't think it was a poor penalty. He hit it well but the keeper went the right way.

Nah, disagree. You see plenty pens where the keeper goes the right way but is beaten for pace. Allan's penalty lacked pace.

BTW, could you drop me a text. I've managed to lose your number. Ta.

Seveno
22-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Hanlon

Sheep_Nae_Mair
22-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Docherty.

Bronson
22-02-2020, 09:14 PM
I always feel a penalty should be hit by your sweetest striker of a ball, which for us would be allan or hanlon.

Surprised so many have said hanlon. I completely agree with you, just thought it was quite a left field shout but clearly not!

Hibeesmad
22-02-2020, 09:15 PM
I'd like Doidge to take them so he can score as many goals as possible.

AFKA5814_Hibs
22-02-2020, 09:22 PM
Tommy McIntyre took a decent penalty for Hibs at Hampden, so I'm not against a defender taking penalties. Given his past record Hanlon wouldn't be a bad shout tbh.

Monts
22-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Bring back Colin Murdock :greengrin

The 90+2
22-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Bring back Colin Murdock :greengrin

Coolest penalty ever that Semi final. Huns needed to miss and did then up stepped Murdoch, I thought fk sake.

Eyrie
22-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Allan takes the next one, but if he misses I'd ask Hanlon to take over.

wookie70
22-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Allan takes the next one, but if he misses I'd ask Hanlon to take over.Allan should be nowhere near set pieces never mind penalties. Missing 3 from 7 is a terrible record. McNulty missed his last two. Don't think any of Doidges goals have been from as far out as 12 yards. Boyle has missed his only pen. My vote would be Hanlon or Newell

The Sundance Kid
22-02-2020, 11:14 PM
Allan should be nowhere near set pieces never mind penalties. Missing 3 from 7 is a terrible record. McNulty missed his last two. Don't think any of Doidges goals have been from as far out as 12 yards. Boyle has missed his only pen. My vote would be Hanlon or Newell

Allan has only missed 2 from 8 and Boyle has actually taken 5 penalties and scored 4 of them

wookie70
22-02-2020, 11:44 PM
Allan has only missed 2 from 8 and Boyle has actually taken 5 penalties and scored 4 of them

I got Allan's record from here - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scott-allan/elfmetertore/spieler/60904 two of the misses were from previous clubs but to me he has taken a relatively small number and missed quite a few. McNulty has taken quite a few more so I restricted what he had done at Hibs.

I take it you numbers include shoot outs. To me that is slightly different. Any link to where you get those stats.

Allan is a confidence player to me and today he was very poor so all those losses of passes from bad decisions may have been in the back of his mind. He looked nervous in the run up and it was a fairly routine save once the keeper guessed right. Similar to McNulty's pen a couple of games ago.

Brooster
22-02-2020, 11:56 PM
Horrendous effort today (yesterday) with all that bouncing around before striking the ball. Paul Hanlon should be taking our penalties.

The Sundance Kid
23-02-2020, 12:22 AM
I was counting their records for Hibs in both shoot outs and normal games. I understand that a player’s overall record for all teams is a better indicator than just looking at their record for Hibs so if Allan and/or Boyle’s records are worse when taking these into account then fair enough.

However, I don’t see how scoring/missing from the spot in a shoot out is any more or less valid than doing so within 90/120 minutes. If anything the pressure is even more on a player taking a penalty in a shoot out as it is then the only difference between winning and losing.

My stats aren’t from any website but just from keeping track myself. To give some background to the penalty stats for the two players mentioned, below are the record for both players in a Hibs jersey:

Allan scored in the penalty shoot out defeat to Dundee United at Easter Road in 2014
Allan scored in the 1-1 draw away to Stirling Albion in the league cup group stage this season
Allan missed in the bonus point penalty shoot out against Stirling Albion in the League Cup group stage this season
Allan scored in the 3-0 win against Arbroath at Easter Road in the group stage this season
Allan scored in the penalty shoot out win away to Kilmarnock in the League Cup this season
Allan scored in the 2-2 draw against Livingston at Easter Road this season
Allan scored in the 4-2 win against Dundee United in the League Cup at Easter Road this season
Allan missed today in today’s draw with Livingston

Boyle scored in the semi final penalty shoot out win against Dundee United when we won the cup
Boyle scored in the penalty shoot out defeat away to Brondby
Boyle missed away to Dundee United in the season we were promoted
Boyle scored in the bonus point penalty shoot out defeat away to Ross County in the League Cup group stage
Boyle scored in the penalty shoot out defeat to Aberdeen at Easter Road in last season’s League Cup

Certainly I would not be ruling either of them out from taking penalties in the future, as they still have positive records from the spot

wookie70
23-02-2020, 12:32 AM
I was counting their records for Hibs in both shoot outs and normal games. I understand that a player’s overall record for all teams is a better indicator than just looking at their record for Hibs so if Allan and/or Boyle’s records are worse when taking these into account then fair enough.

However, I don’t see how scoring/missing from the spot in a shoot out is any more or less valid than doing so within 90/120 minutes. If anything the pressure is even more on a player taking a penalty in a shoot out as it is then the only difference between winning and losing.

My stats aren’t from any website but just from keeping track myself. To give some background to the penalty stats for the two players mentioned, below are the record for both players in a Hibs jersey:

Allan scored in the penalty shoot out defeat to Dundee United at Easter Road in 2014
Allan scored in the 1-1 draw away to Stirling Albion in the league cup group stage this season
Allan missed in the bonus point penalty shoot out against Stirling Albion in the League Cup group stage this season
Allan scored in the 3-0 win against Arbroath at Easter Road in the group stage this season
Allan scored in the penalty shoot out win away to Kilmarnock in the League Cup this season
Allan scored in the 2-2 draw against Livingston at Easter Road this season
Allan scored in the 4-2 win against Dundee United in the League Cup at Easter Road this season
Allan missed today in today’s draw with Livingston

Boyle scored in the semi final penalty shoot out win against Dundee United when we won the cup
Boyle scored in the penalty shoot out defeat away to Brondby
Boyle missed away to Dundee United in the season we were promoted
Boyle scored in the bonus point penalty shoot out defeat away to Ross County in the League Cup group stage
Boyle scored in the penalty shoot out defeat to Aberdeen at Easter Road in last season’s League Cup

Certainly I would not be ruling either of them out from taking penalties in the future, as they still have positive records from the spot

Top stats, to me a positive record from the spot is very rarely missing. I never realised Boyle had scored so many in shoot outs, that is fairly decent but I vividly remember the miss at Tannadice which was poor but Grant Holt takes a share of the blame for his part in it. Maybe Boyler deserves a shot at it as his finishing has been much better this year and he also looks more composed.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 12:32 AM
Anyone but McNulty. Allan or Hanlon should be on them.

J-C
23-02-2020, 08:15 AM
I always feel a penalty should be hit by your sweetest striker of a ball, which for us would be allan or hanlon.

Surprised so many have said hanlon. I completely agree with you, just thought it was quite a left field shout but clearly not!

That would be Mallan then but unfortunately injured.

Diclonius
23-02-2020, 08:34 AM
1. Allan
2. Hanlon
3. ???

Eyrie
23-02-2020, 09:44 AM
That would be Mallan then but unfortunately injured.

And once he's fit he'll be on the bench in most games, not starting for us.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Newell

KingPat4
23-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Hanlon.

Tom Hart RIP
23-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Didn’t Marc McNulty have a phenomenal penalty record with Coventry. Can’t recall the numbers but it was highly impressive

Northernhibee
23-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Scott Allan. Show me a player who has regularly taken penalties and I shall show you a player who has missed penalties.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Scott Allan. Show me a player who has regularly taken penalties and I shall show you a player who has missed penalties.

Matt Le Tissier, Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert, Leighton Bains, Graham Alexander, Eden Hazard.

The best penalty takers very, very rarely miss.

Brightside
23-02-2020, 10:53 AM
Paul Hanlon. Not missed one since he was 10.

Speedy
23-02-2020, 11:17 AM
Matt Le Tissier, Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert, Leighton Bains, Graham Alexander, Eden Hazard.

Great post.

We have a team of professional footballers, none of them being able to consistently score a penalty is a disgrace.

KingPat4
23-02-2020, 11:18 AM
Great post.

We have a team of professional footballers, none of them being able to consistently score a penalty is a disgrace.

Throughout history, the best players in the world have missed penalties.

Even Pele.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Throughout history, the best players in the world have missed penalties.

Even Pele.

Allan is not one of the best players in the world though so he has no right to miss one.😉

JammyDoidger
23-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Never mind penalty's get Allan off the corners. They stupid floated balls are really frustrating!

Hermit Crab
23-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Missed one away to Arbroath in the 3-2 friendly defeat. It was a terrible penalty.

wookie70
23-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Didn’t Marc McNulty have a phenomenal penalty record with Coventry. Can’t recall the numbers but it was highly impressive

Scored 6 and missed one for Coventry and his record is scores 2 and misses one on average(give or take). A good penalty taker must be at least scores 3 misses 1 imo and even then I wouldn't say that was great

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Paul Hanlon. Not missed one since he was 10.Not a daft idea. I remember Tommy McIntyre being our penalty taker despite having the likes of Keith Wright in the team.

Keyser Sauzee
23-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Think Hanlon is a good shout. Penalty takers don’t always have to be forward thinking players, David Unsworth wasn’t the most fashionable left back but he had a fantastic record from the spot.

brog
23-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Coolest penalty ever that Semi final. Huns needed to miss and did then up stepped Murdoch, I thought fk sake.

Talking of centre halfs, IIRC Shaun Dennis scored a beauty at Pittodrie in a pen shoot out.

wookie70
23-02-2020, 06:55 PM

Gary McAllister 32 from 35(bet we all remember one of the misses)
Frank Lampard 60 from 70 (slam bang)
Shearer 63 from 65
Matt Le Tissier 49 from 50 - His quote is what a penalty taker should be doing in my opinion "I stuck it in the corner, and if the keeper went the right way it was hard enough to beat him"

As said the best penalty takers rarely miss and we don't seem to have one

Northernhibee
23-02-2020, 06:58 PM
Gary McAllister 32 from 35(bet we all remember one of the misses)
Frank Lampard 60 from 70 (slam bang)
Shearer 63 from 65
Matt Le Tissier 49 from 50 - His quote is what a penalty taker should be doing in my opinion "I stuck it in the corner, and if the keeper went the right way it was hard enough to beat him"

As said the best penalty takers rarely miss and we don't seem to have one

But as you've seen, even they miss some. Furthermore, they're some of the continents best players who a team like Hibs could never afford.

Just because one of our players has missed a penalty doesn't mean they should be dropped from them, they should be given the arm around the shoulder to step back up, back themselves and do better next time.

The overanalysis and criticism is way OTT on here.

thegaffer12
23-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Newell if he's fit, or Hanlon if not.

wookie70
23-02-2020, 07:38 PM
But as you've seen, even they miss some. Furthermore, they're some of the continents best players who a team like Hibs could never afford.

Just because one of our players has missed a penalty doesn't mean they should be dropped from them, they should be given the arm around the shoulder to step back up, back themselves and do better next time.

They didn't missed many though. Allan has missed 3 and scored 4 in his career. That really isn't good enough imo and a professional should be able to take the goalie out of the equation and aim to hit a shot that can't be saved if they do their job right. I had a look at his previous Hibs pens and he generally strokes it side footed without too much pace into a corner. Looks a good pen when the keeper goes the wrong way but very savable if they guess right. I'd guess his record will continue and he will score slightly more than he misses. It is a thread about who should be the next taker. Short of a gut feeling what other way is there of having an opinion. Pen misses can be very expensive so we need to get it right

Wilson
23-02-2020, 11:46 PM

I think the penalty spot is too far away from goal for Doidge.. :wink:

AlbertK86
24-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Newell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monts
24-02-2020, 12:56 PM
I agree Hanlon takes a good penalty, but I can just imagine the comments and moans from those around me in the stand if Hanlon were to step up to take one.

eastmainsmsh
24-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Boyler

Sudds_1
24-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Never mind penalty's get Allan off the corners. They stupid floated balls are really frustrating!

Until he stops trying to score direct from one they will vontinue to be poor.....

MrRobot
24-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Until he stops trying to score direct from one they will vontinue to be poor.....

this. so annoying him shooting from every corner.

for penalties, hanlon, docherty or stevenson for me.

LaMotta
24-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Agreed.

Messi and Ronaldo on average miss 2 out of every 10 they take.

Messi once went on a run of missing 4 out of 7 pens.

It happens to the best.

Centre Hawf
24-02-2020, 05:18 PM
I'm not one for changing after every miss. If a player feels confident about them and just so happens to have one saved or didn't catch it as cleanly as he usually does then taking him off them isn't going to help for the future imo. If the player misses a couple then starts to feel the pressure then of course take him out and put someone else on them who isn't feeling it.

I feel when you start having a one and done process to penalties everyone just knows that they can't miss or that's them.

ekhibee
24-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Look on the bright side, we still have a way to go before we're as bad at penalties as we are at throw-ins.

WeeRussell
26-02-2020, 11:31 AM

I'd be up for any of them taking them. But Allan will do for me while they're all unavailable. :agree:

HibeeHibernian4
29-02-2020, 12:10 AM
So that’s the Hanlon hype train halted, who next? :greengrin

Hermit Crab
29-02-2020, 12:25 AM
So that’s the Hanlon hype train halted, who next? :greengrin

Docherty.

CloudSquall
29-02-2020, 12:28 AM
At this rate Marciano, just rocket launch it in.

the pie eater
29-02-2020, 12:31 AM
At this rate Marciano, just rocket launch it in.

I'll agree. Just smash it.

JammyDoidger
29-02-2020, 12:46 AM
Mcnulty is the best finisher, confident lad just let him take the penalty's. Pick a designated taker and stick with it. And back him if he misses to score the next one. No one scores them all.

Scott Allan Key
29-02-2020, 03:58 AM
So that’s the Hanlon hype train halted, who next? :greengrinGet players to take 100 penalties each over several training sessions. Whoever scores the most, takes our penalties.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

TimeForHeroes16
29-02-2020, 04:07 AM
Is it just me or do we always have problems with penalty takers. We’ve never had anyone concrete in years always switching and changing. Personally I’d do a couple sessions on pens figure out who is the best and most confident and make it them. We’re going to need to sort it out we could need pens at some point in the competition and half out team wouldn’t be confident.

DetroitHibs
29-02-2020, 04:15 AM
Darren Jackson was the last penalty taker that usually always put them away.

B.H.F.C
29-02-2020, 06:09 AM
Is it just me or do we always have problems with penalty takers. We’ve never had anyone concrete in years always switching and changing. Personally I’d do a couple sessions on pens figure out who is the best and most confident and make it them. We’re going to need to sort it out we could need pens at some point in the competition and half out team wouldn’t be confident.

Allan has been pretty reliable this year. Think he’s scored 5 out of 6?

Even the best players miss from time to time. He should still have been hitting the one last night IMO.

TimeForHeroes16
29-02-2020, 06:17 AM
Allan has been pretty reliable this year. Think he’s scored 5 out of 6?

Even the best players miss from time to time. He should still have been hitting the one last night IMO.
I agree Allan does seem our best pen taker, I think he’s missed 2 this season if memory serves me right. Obviously ever played misses penalty’s Messi has actually missed a lot more than you’d think. Not everyone can be a James Milner and never miss a pen.

I guess what I was originally trying to say was each season we seem to have patch where we don’t who’s best to take a pen or who is our penalty taker.

BILLYHIBS
29-02-2020, 06:19 AM
I was pleased when Hanlon grabbed the ball got the fear when McNulty tried to wrestle the ball off him Hanlon stuck to his guns then took a poor penalty

I felt for a Scottish Cup Quarter Final it is something that should have been sorted beforehand

Jack Ross admitted post match on the radio it wasn’t

Going forward anyone but not Hanlon McNulty or Allan as they have all had their chance and missed

Maybes Boyle as he has a fair shot on him or Doidge to boost his goal tally and as a reward for his hard work

Eyrie
29-02-2020, 09:44 AM
I was pleased when Hanlon grabbed the ball got the fear when McNulty tried to wrestle the ball off him Hanlon stuck to his guns then took a poor penalty

I felt for a Scottish Cup Quarter Final it is something that should have been sorted beforehand

Jack Ross admitted post match on the radio it wasn’t

Going forward anyone but not Hanlon McNulty or Allan as they have all had their chance and missed

Maybes Boyle as he has a fair shot on him or Doidge to boost his goal tally and as a reward for his hard work

We'd have seen Doidge on penalties by now if that was his thing.

Taking penalties is as much mental as technical.

Brightside
29-02-2020, 09:44 AM
Paul Hanlon.

HibeeHibernian4
29-02-2020, 09:49 AM
I just want a penalty taker who blasts the ball, rather than side footing it a saveable height for the keeper. Allan and Hanlon have both failed on that count in the past week.

The best Hibs penalty I can remember in recent times was Boyle’s in the semi final shootout against Dundee United. Hard and high, no chance for the keeper. Then I watched Time For Heroes and it turned out he’d meant to put it bottom corner. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
29-02-2020, 10:01 AM
We'd have seen Doidge on penalties by now if that was his thing.

Taking penalties is as much mental as technical.

Just asking for someone anyone to score the next one not too much to ask

Getting to the business end of the season where we need a reliable and trusted penalty taker or might end up costing us

HibeeJude
29-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Just put Docherty on it and let him smash it

angus hibby
29-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Hope the semi doesn’t go to penalties.....!

Carheenlea
29-02-2020, 10:25 AM
It’s funny how you can sometimes get a gut feeling when penalties are going to be missed. Sensed the feeling round about where I was sat that Hanlon wasn’t going to score and there wasn’t a huge shock or indignation when it was saved.
Other times you just know they’re going in.
It’s a strange old business.

Hermit Crab
29-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Paul Hanlon.

Nope, had his chance. You said the other day he hadn't missed one since he was 10. He has now and it was a shocking penalty. NEXT!!!!

erin go bragh
29-02-2020, 11:51 AM
I think Boyle would score easily with a pen . Yes ,I know he missed a shocker a few seasons ago but he is a different animal now . His confidence now compared to then ,is night and day .

J-C
29-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Nope, had his chance. You said the other day he hadn't missed one since he was 10. He has now and it was a shocking penalty. NEXT!!!!

You really can't hide your distaste for Hanlon can you, so sad.

bigwheel
I’d give it to whoever fancies it ..think we were a bit quick to take Allan off them ...usually
Scores

J-C
I think Boyle would score easily with a pen . Yes ,I know he missed a shocker a few seasons ago but he is a different animal now . His confidence now compared to then ,is night and day .

:agree:

Hermit Crab
29-02-2020, 12:04 PM
You really can't hide your distaste for Hanlon can you, so sad.

Nothing to do with distaste. He grabbed the ball last night and took a terrible penalty that we could all see where it was going so the keeper easily knew which way to dive and he also missed a very easy rebound. Someone else deserves a chance now

DaveF
29-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Nothing to do with distaste. He grabbed the ball last night and took a terrible penalty that we could all see where it was going so the keeper easily knew which way to dive and he also missed a very easy rebound. Someone else deserves a chance now

I didn't know where it was going. Did the Livi keeper know where Allan was going, County and McNulty? No, it's mostly guesswork and good reactions that make saves.

We are just having a poor run on them and I'm pretty sure it will be sorted and a designated taker in place for when we get one on Tuesday 🙂

HibeeHibernian4
29-02-2020, 12:49 PM
I didn't know where it was going. Did the Livi keeper know where Allan was going, County and McNulty? No, it's mostly guesswork and good reactions that make saves.

We are just having a poor run on them and I'm pretty sure it will be sorted and a designated taker in place for when we get one on Tuesday 🙂

If you side foot them softly and at a saveable height you are making it much much easier for the keeper to save them.

Irish_Steve
29-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Anyone with more influence than me got a number for Matt Le Tissier to get him up and coach how to take a penalty. In his career, he took 48 penalties and scored 47 of them!!

hibee-boys
29-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Any player who has the confidence to hit it hard up into either corner should be taking it. Even if the keeper guesses right they've no chance. Those last 3 penalties have been waist high to the side of the keeper, not even into a corner. Has to be one of the most frustrating things to see a professional footballer do. Hard, high into a corner or dont step up!

stoneyburn hibs
29-02-2020, 01:13 PM
It's now Martins turn.

KingPat4
29-02-2020, 01:44 PM
JR was pretty cool about the whole penalty thing last night, but I reckon there is going to be a lot of work put into it.

For me it should be Scott Allan.

H18 SFR
29-02-2020, 01:47 PM
I know who Jack Ross said was on penalties for the second half (Paul McGinn).

Frazerbob
29-02-2020, 01:58 PM
80 penalties awarded in the Premiership so far this season. 24 missed. It’s not just us!

Malthibby
29-02-2020, 02:05 PM
80 penalties awarded in the Premiership so far this season. 24 missed. It’s not just us!

Played (very lower tier) Amateur many decades ago & we lost a cup shoot-out 18/17. Not a single miss until the 36th.
Less pressure when there's just a dug & a lamppost watching of course.
GG

Captain Trips
29-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Whoever it is stay on them regardless until 3 in a row are missed. Changing all time puts more pressure on next person. We are making it difficult for ourselves.

So if we play a team and they scored last penalty and we both get a penalty in same game we are putting a lot more thought and pressure on it now than other team so it's now not the same 12yds for each team.

Sort it.

Speedy
29-02-2020, 02:46 PM
JR was pretty cool about the whole penalty thing last night, but I reckon there is going to be a lot of work put into it.

For me it should be Scott Allan.

My theory is he wasn't wanting to publicly slate the players after a good result.

I reckon Hanlon was on pens, but McNulty wanted to take it having won the pen. I'm sure Ross will have had a word since.

RyeSloan
29-02-2020, 03:53 PM
My theory is he wasn't wanting to publicly slate the players after a good result.

I reckon Hanlon was on pens, but McNulty wanted to take it having won the pen. I'm sure Ross will have had a word since.

He quite clearly said it wasn’t something as a manager he had really bothered about before..the laughed and said that as we had missed 3 in a row it was probably about time he did!

He also said he had no issue with the pen argument and even revealed that it had carried on at half time...but again he said he wasn’t that bothered about that as it simply showed the players cared and wanted to put themselves forward.

After all that though he managed to make it clear (without saying anything!) that he’d sort it for next time...it’s kind of JR’s way, not to make too much out of anything but on the other hand leave you with a strong feeling that he knows exactly what’s needed.

Scouse Hibee
29-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Thought it might have been Whittaker last night, used to take them for Rangers and Norwich if I recall correctly.

Green Reaper
29-02-2020, 07:24 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwikjpGCy_fnAhWKQEEAHSFVAY8QwqsBMAV6BAgJE AQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Maradona missed 5 penalties in a row!
Hope the link works😁

Speedy
29-02-2020, 07:27 PM
He quite clearly said it wasn’t something as a manager he had really bothered about before..the laughed and said that as we had missed 3 in a row it was probably about time he did!

He also said he had no issue with the pen argument and even revealed that it had carried on at half time...but again he said he wasn’t that bothered about that as it simply showed the players cared and wanted to put themselves forward.

After all that though he managed to make it clear (without saying anything!) that he’d sort it for next time...it’s kind of JR’s way, not to make too much out of anything but on the other hand leave you with a strong feeling that he knows exactly what’s needed.

Saw the interview. Just don't think we got the whole story. Agree it'll be sorted for next time though.

CMurdoch
29-02-2020, 07:53 PM
McNulty is the best option.
1 0n 1 with the keeper is his thing.

2nd best option is Mallen.

If we are giving it to another player it's probably Docherty's turn.

Being successful is half psychological and half being able to strike the ball true to where you want to put it. To my mind Allan is a poor choice to take them. Sadly he missed the only one from the last 3 that really really mattered.

Hermit Crab
29-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Cosgrove has scored 10/10

BILLYHIBS
29-02-2020, 09:30 PM
McNulty is the best option.
1 0n 1 with the keeper is his thing.

2nd best option is Mallen.

If we are giving it to another player it's probably Docherty's turn.

Being successful is half psychological and half being able to strike the ball true to where you want to put it. To my mind Allan is a poor choice to take them. Sadly he missed the only one from the last 3 that really really mattered.

McNulty is zero from two

Next!

O'Rourke3
29-02-2020, 09:33 PM
McNulty is zero from two

Next!Is it not sinething like 2 from 4? He's missed two but has scored for us too.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Eyrie
29-02-2020, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't take someone off penalty duty if they missed one, but I would if they missed two in quick succession. McNulty has missed his last two which rules him out for now.

J-C
01-03-2020, 03:16 PM

He was captain and took a captain's decision, Ross said there's no dedicated penalty taker so he had every right to choose, he struck it hard and down the middle and it hit the keepers legs, not the best penalty but not the worst.

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2020, 03:31 PM
He was captain and took a captain's decision, Ross said there's no dedicated penalty taker so he had every right to choose, he struck it hard and down the middle and it hit the keepers legs, not the best penalty but not the worst.

All missed penalties are the same in my eyes, none better than others.

HibeeHibernian4
01-03-2020, 06:04 PM
All missed penalties are the same in my eyes, none better than others.

Cummings one against Dundee United at Hampden? :greengrin

Ozyhibby
01-03-2020, 06:18 PM
Needs sorted before we turn up at Hampden. Might need 5 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
02-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Am I right in thinking Allan has only missed one this season? Or is it 2

In any case I reckon it's something that will be addressed after the ICT game

Gloucester Hibs
02-03-2020, 07:52 AM
Normally I’d say get McNulty back on them but he’s missed his last 2 for us (and did he also miss one for Sunderland this season?) So I’d say Allan gets another chance. Or if, as has been suggested, top corner is the name of the game, get Omeonga on them!

Peevemor
02-03-2020, 08:04 AM
Omeonga - side footed at 250mph like Friday night.

Vault Boy
02-03-2020, 08:17 AM
The poor run of penalties is unfortunate, but it's bound to happen to teams. We aren't the first and won't be the last.

It's important that we don't cycle too heavily through takers to the point where players who are actually capable takers are dropped out of thinking completely just because of statistical inevitabilities. Two players I'd include in that are Allan and Hanlon.

If another player wants to step up next time, that's fine, good on them, but I don't think the solution is as simple as choosing a new player until they miss, rinse and repeat.

Captain Trips
02-03-2020, 09:00 AM
The poor run of penalties is unfortunate, but it's bound to happen to teams. We aren't the first and won't be the last.

It's important that we don't cycle too heavily through takers to the point where players who are actually capable takers are dropped out of thinking completely just because of statistical inevitabilities. Two players I'd include in that are Allan and Hanlon.

If another player wants to step up next time, that's fine, good on them, but I don't think the solution is as simple as choosing a new player until they miss, rinse and repeat.

You are in most right, my concern and I fear it has already happened I think is that if Hearts get a penalty on Tuesday then we get one it for me loses the equilibrium as whoever takes ours is coming off missed penalties and 3 different takers so it will be in the mind of taker as an addition to what would be in Hearts player mind.

This needs nipped in bud now.

McSwanky
02-03-2020, 09:00 AM
Cosgrove has scored 10/10

Nope! Missed one against Hearts earlier in the season.

Vault Boy
02-03-2020, 09:04 AM
You are in most right, my concern and I fear it has already happened I think is that if Hearts get a penalty on Tuesday then we get one it for me loses the equilibrium as whoever takes ours is coming off missed penalties and 3 different takers so it will be in the mind of taker as an addition to what would be in Hearts player mind.

This needs nipped in bud now.

Best way to nip it would certainly be a scored penalty in the derby, that's for sure.

Captain Trips
02-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Best way to nip it would certainly be a scored penalty in the derby, that's for sure.

I know what you are saying but as far as the next penalty goes we have given ourselves more pressure irrespective who takes it. Of course it all changes if scores but be it Hearts, Rangers or whoever our next penalty has a bit more to it than a run of the mill job.

Hermit Crab
02-03-2020, 10:54 PM

Go watch it again. He struck it slightly to the keepers left, good height for the keeper, the keeper saved it easily with his hands not his legs...pish penalty. He even made a shop front of the rebound.

The Sundance Kid
21-11-2020, 06:34 PM
So, with Nisbet missing both his last two penalties do people think a change in designated penalty taker is needed once more?

Penalty record for the current squad is below:
Joe Newell scored 1 out of 1 (100%)
Lewis Stevenson scored 1 out of 1 (100%)
Stevie Mallan scored 5 out of 6 (83%)
Martin Boyle scored 4 out of 5 (80%)
Paul Hanlon scored 4 out of 5 (80%)
Scott Allan scored 6 out of 8 (75%)
Kevin Nisbet scored 2 out of 4 (50%)
David Gray scored 0 out of 1 (0%)

Only player in the squad who hasn't hit one for us that I reckon could be half decent is Murphy

Brightside
21-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Stick with Nes

flash
21-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Mallan for me if he is on the park.

Hiber-nation
21-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Has to be Mallan if he plays. If not Newell. I was screaming for Hanlon to take a pen for ages and of course he went and missed it on the occasion he stepped up!

Speedy
21-11-2020, 06:41 PM
Mallan or Newell

PaulSmith
21-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Mallan or Murphy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

murray26
21-11-2020, 07:01 PM
I think as a matter of urgency we should be practicing them a lot more than we are.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Think mallan is less likely to start

For me, Paul Hanlon (if we change from Nisbet)

B.H.F.C
21-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Mallan if he’s on the pitch. Good record from pens I think. Not missed one for us.

A Hi-Bee
21-11-2020, 07:02 PM
No need to change who takes the pens, the young lad will do just fine.
:flag::flag::flag:

Northernhibee
21-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Kevin Nisbet. He's had two bad ones in a row but he's got absolute balls of steel to a) take the penalty today and b) make amends by scoring five minutes later.

B.H.F.C
21-11-2020, 07:43 PM
Kevin Nisbet. He's had two bad ones in a row but he's got absolute balls of steel to a) take the penalty today and b) make amends by scoring five minutes later.

It won’t be. You don’t get two on the trot. Especially two poor ones.

Brilliant finish for the goal but that was just instinct.

H18 SFR
21-11-2020, 08:01 PM
Mallan get my vote.

Wilson
21-11-2020, 08:05 PM
Stick with Nisbet. If he is confident enough to keep stepping up then support him through the bad patch. He'll come good.

HibeeHibernian4
21-11-2020, 09:20 PM
So, with Nisbet missing both his last two penalties do people think a change in designated penalty taker is needed once more?

Only player in the squad who hasn't hit one for us that I reckon could be half decent is Murphy

Mallan is the pick of the bunch for me.

Not only is 5 out of 6 a good return all things considered, one of them was a high-pressure penalty in the last minute at St Johnstone.

Smashed it down the middle, unstoppable really. Pity he's not a guaranteed start but if he's on the park he should be the first port of call.

B.H.F.C
21-11-2020, 09:40 PM

I didn’t think Mallan had ever missed one for us. Not saying he’s not, just can’t remember it.

hibbysam
21-11-2020, 09:45 PM
I didn’t think Mallan had ever missed one for us. Not saying he’s not, just can’t remember it.

Missed in the shootout against Aberdeen in the league cup quarter final.

oneone73
21-11-2020, 09:48 PM

Saved by Lewis who was about two yards off his line iirc

CMurdoch
21-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Mallan and Nisbet are the only options and in that order

B.H.F.C
21-11-2020, 09:51 PM

Remember it now.

MrRobot
21-11-2020, 09:53 PM
I wouldn’t go changing designated penalty taker every time a couple are missed.

joebakerforever
21-11-2020, 11:11 PM
I wouldn’t go changing designated penalty taker every time a couple are missed.

Agree, and I bet KN will be practising even more at the training ground.

1875Sean
21-11-2020, 11:24 PM
On the subject of pens didn’t anyone think bains 2 feet were off the line when Nisbet hit the ball? I know it doesn’t matter as we scored but if you look back at it Bain moves forward with 2 feet

Greenbeard
22-11-2020, 08:49 AM
On the subject of pens didn’t anyone think bains 2 feet were off the line when Nisbet hit the ball? I know it doesn’t matter as we scored but if you look back at it Bain moves forward with 2 feet
Aye, clear as day a retake had VAR been used. Even without VAR tbh. If you keep your eyes on the goalie, with Nisbet in your peripheral vision, you cannot fail to see Bain move and advance off his line early, even without the benefit of a pause button. Madden even warns Bain ahead of the penalty, pointing to the goal line as he does so. Then both he and the linesman, who is right in line with the goal-line at the junction with the penalty box, let him away with it. At least the linesman definitely does, cos he doesn't flag. I suppose Madden could argue that he was waiting to see what happened with the rebound before blowing, but there is nothing in his demeanour to suggest he was going to favour a re-take. Another black mark against Madden.

lucky
22-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Bain took two steps forward so it should have been a retake, VAR would have given a retake but what’s the linesman doing?

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 09:03 AM
Aye, clear as day a retake had VAR been used. Even without VAR tbh. If you keep your eyes on the goalie, with Nisbet in your peripheral vision, you cannot fail to see Bain move and advance off his line early, even without the benefit of a pause button. Madden even warns Bain ahead of the penalty, pointing to the goal line as he does so. Then both he and the linesman, who is right in line with the goal-line at the junction with the penalty box, let him away with it. At least the linesman definitely does, cos he doesn't flag. I suppose Madden could argue that he was waiting to see what happened with the rebound before blowing, but there is nothing in his demeanour to suggest he was going to favour a re-take. Another black mark against Madden.

The referee can’t give a retake off his own accord. That’s not his job and he isn’t in the best position to give it, it would be like asking him to give an offside decision without a flag going up. The lino should flag, but no linesman in the world is going to order a retake, it just doesn’t happen. In the end it made zero difference as we scored the rebound.

wookie70
22-11-2020, 09:15 AM
Agree, and I bet KN will be practising even more at the training ground.My view is at least 90 percent of a successful penalty is in the head. No amount of training will stop Nisbet having missed the last two. He also changed the way he takes them going high and then a softly hit miss.Second guessing yourself and doubt are what makes you miss. Best Mallan takes them if he is in team. If not then I would go to Murphy.

Eyrie
22-11-2020, 09:50 AM
I'd give Nisbet a compilation of all his successful penalties (not just for Hibs) and finish with the one he missed yesterday to let him study what works for him and what doesn't.

I have confidence in him.

MrRobot
22-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Bain took two steps forward so it should have been a retake, VAR would have given a retake but what’s the linesman doing?

we scored from the rebound so why on earth would you be wanting a retake? :greengrin

Greenbeard
22-11-2020, 11:09 AM
The referee can’t give a retake off his own accord. That’s not his job and he isn’t in the best position to give it, it would be like asking him to give an offside decision without a flag going up. The lino should flag, but no linesman in the world is going to order a retake, it just doesn’t happen. In the end it made zero difference as we scored the rebound.
Is that right that the final say on the goalie being off his line at a penalty lies solely with the linesman and the ref can't make a call of his own accord? He can overrule on other things. Seems anomalous that he can't on that too.

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Is that right that the final say on the goalie being off his line at a penalty lies solely with the linesman and the ref can't make a call of his own accord? He can overrule on other things. Seems anomalous that he can't on that too.

He would be really daft to considering he doesn’t have anywhere near the best view. The ref can’t watch the taker, watch the players encroaching and also keep an eye on the keeper, all at the same time.

Solonleith1
22-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Mallan or Hanlon or tbh stick with nisbet. Hes a confident guy. Missing a couple will not affect him. Think the last few weeks sad events show how strong a character he is

Bishop Hibee
22-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Let Nisbet take it and assume the keeper isn’t allowed to leap a metre off his line before making the save next time.

scoopyboy
22-11-2020, 11:18 AM

Cant remember the opposition but I'm sure he missed one in a Scottish Cup tie at Easter Road against a lower league team.

JammyDoidger
22-11-2020, 11:23 AM
Stick with Nisbet, just needs to get over the hurdle and score the next. Goals will push his value so the more chances he has the better.

The Sundance Kid
22-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Cant remember the opposition but I'm sure he missed one in a Scottish Cup tie at Easter Road against a lower league team.

Maybe thinking of our 4-0 win against Elgin in the Scottish Cup a couple of seasons ago? We got two penalties in the match, Kamberi missed the first one and Mallan took the second and scored

Can only see his miss in the shoot out against Aberdeen for him not hitting the net from 12 yards

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 11:36 AM
I’ve got Nisbet top scorer so keep him on them 😂

scoopyboy
22-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Maybe thinking of our 4-0 win against Elgin in the Scottish Cup a couple of seasons ago? We got two penalties in the match, Kamberi missed the first one and Mallan took the second and scored

Can only see his miss in the shoot out against Aberdeen for him not hitting the net from 12 yards

I doth my cap to you sir, I believe you are correct.

Greenbeard
22-11-2020, 12:20 PM
He would be really daft to considering he doesn’t have anywhere near the best view. The ref can’t watch the taker, watch the players encroaching and also keep an eye on the keeper, all at the same time.
Ah, so you saying the ref "can't give a re-take of his own accord" is just your subjective opinion, not a fact or an actual law of the game. Sorry I misunderstood.
Be interesting to hear from any active or ex refs or linesmen out there re what each of them is trained to focus on at penalties.

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Ah, so you saying the ref "can't give a re-take of his own accord" is just your subjective opinion, not a fact or an actual law of the game. Sorry I misunderstood.
Be interesting to hear from any active or ex refs or linesmen out there re what each of them is trained to focus on at penalties.

Yes, apologies. The reason he puts his linesman on the goal line is to do that job for him, problem is Lino’s are extremely reluctant to flag. Referees need to focus on the edge of the box, as well as the striking of the ball, so it would be impossible for him to be looking in three different directions at the one time.

EI255
22-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Stick with NesAgreed. This lad is a very, very good striker.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
22-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Going by this comment I saw from JR , I don’t expect Nisbet to hit a penalty on Tuesday if we get one.

“Kevin wanted to take it again and I was okay with that. But we might have a wee rethink.”

hibeedonald
22-11-2020, 07:15 PM
I’ve got Nisbet top scorer so keep him on them 😂

Same, got 50 on at 50/1... better stay on them

inglisavhibs
22-11-2020, 10:01 PM
Going by this comment I saw from JR , I don’t expect Nisbet to hit a penalty on Tuesday if we get one.

“Kevin wanted to take it again and I was okay with that. But we might have a wee rethink.”

If he stays on the penalties he needs to get his foot through the ball and get some power in the strike. Alan Shearer was one of the best at penalties and the only way the keeper would save them is if it hit him. I hate penalties that are not struck properly.

Hibee Mac
22-11-2020, 10:13 PM
I'd be very interested to see the conversion rate of penalties for us Vs against us.

It could just be bias but I honestly think our pen conversion rate is a lot worse than that against us. Something we really need to work on.

Just checked and in 4+ years with us Marciano has saved 11% of penalties (4 out of 36). I would bet a fair amount that our conversion rate over that time is significantly worse than 89%.

hibbysam
22-11-2020, 10:19 PM
I'd be very interested to see the conversion rate of penalties for us Vs against us.

It could just be bias but I honestly think our pen conversion rate is a lot worse than that against us. Something we really need to work on.

Just checked and in 4+ years with us Marciano has saved 11% of penalties (4 out of 36). I would bet a fair amount that our conversion rate over that time is significantly worse than 89%.

Think Bogdan saved a penalty for us as well IIRC.

GreenCastle
23-11-2020, 07:58 AM

It does seem we have missed a lot of penalties. Can think of 3 in derbies straight away..

Anyone got a list of out penalties for and against in last few seasons ?

hibee-boys
23-11-2020, 10:49 AM
It was a very poor penalty from Kevin, almost as though he was scared to hit it off target. It should go to anyone who has the confidence to hit it hard up into either side of the net, no danger they are being saved.

Hermit Crab
23-11-2020, 11:28 AM
I'd leave Nesbit on them. If he doesn't feel confident then give them to Newell

superfurryhibby
23-11-2020, 11:59 AM
I'd leave Nesbit on them. If he doesn't feel confident then give them to Newell

Nisbet :aok:

FWIW, I should think he needs a break from penalty taking duties.

Speedy
23-11-2020, 03:13 PM
It does seem we have missed a lot of penalties. Can think of 3 in derbies straight away..

Anyone got a list of out penalties for and against in last few seasons ?

For Hibs
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hibernian-fc/elfmeterschuetzen/verein/903/plus/0?saison_id=2019

https://www.transfermarkt.com/hibernian-fc/elfmeterstatistik/verein/903

Against Marciano
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ofir-marciano/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/112008

Against Bogdan
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-bogdan/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/55247

Not sure of the accuracy but quite a lot of detail there.

I'm pretty critical of Marciano's technique. Maybe a good reason for it but to me it looks like he always dives down to give him a better chance at low ones but gives up a bit at higher pens. I feel he's easy to beat for anyone who has done their homework.

Diclonius
23-11-2020, 03:17 PM
I'd give Hanlon another shot.

JimBHibees
23-11-2020, 03:22 PM
Think I would give Kev another shot if he fancies it however Saturdays effort seemed to lack conviction. If he doesn't fancy it Mallan Murphy or Newell.

wookie70
23-11-2020, 10:14 PM
Huge difference between Ofir and Adam when it comes to Pens. Bogdan isn't that far off saving 1 from 3 and Marciano is 1 from 9

For Hibs
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hibernian-fc/elfmeterschuetzen/verein/903/plus/0?saison_id=2019

Against Marciano

Against Bogdan

I'm pretty critical of Marciano's technique. Maybe a good reason for it but to me it looks like he always dives down to give him a better chance at low ones but gives up a bit at higher pens. I feel he's easy to beat for anyone who has done their homework.

GreenCastle
24-11-2020, 07:35 AM
For Hibs

Against Marciano

Against Bogdan

I’ve noticed this also.

As much as Marciano has improved this season and is a fantastic shot stopper at times.

His technique for saving penalties needs worked on.

I just don’t feel confident he’s going to save them. I think when Scotland played Israel at Hampden they knew this also.

Penalties have been an issue over the years..

Any idea how many shootouts we have won - head to head ?

JimBHibees
24-11-2020, 07:48 AM
I see EEN seemed to be going with a headline saying Mallan would be penalty taker which is fine as long as he is on the pitch of course.

H18 SFR
20-02-2021, 08:04 PM
Who is up next then?

Vault Boy
20-02-2021, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure how Doidge would fair with penalties overall, but he needs a goal so I wouldn't be adverse to him taking one.

I wouldn't hook Boyle off them after one miss though. Confidence is important for penalties, and he's on fire just now.

Magpie
20-02-2021, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure how Doidge would fair with penalties overall, but he needs a goal so I wouldn't be adverse to him taking one.

I wouldn't hook Boyle off them after one miss though. Confidence is important for penalties, and he's on fire just now.

Yeah I think Boyle should take the next one. How many penalties have we had this season, I’d take a guess that we are just behind Rangers for penalties received?

CMurdoch
20-02-2021, 08:50 PM
Boyle, today's miss didn't matter.
On them till he misses a meaningful one then switch back to Nisbet.

Onceinawhile
20-02-2021, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't trust doidge to tap into an empty from 6 yards out, let alone score a penalty.

Boyler gets one more, but if he misses that... who knows.

CentreLine
20-02-2021, 08:55 PM
Big Daz. He’s transformed our fortunes by leading the defence so why not bang them in at the other end 🤗

1875Sean
20-02-2021, 08:55 PM
Don’t think you should change the taker after one miss, if Boyle is still confident he should stay on them

Squealing pig
20-02-2021, 08:56 PM
Agreed on boyle to keep taking them , hes on top form

Lancs Harp
20-02-2021, 08:57 PM
Josh

greenginger
20-02-2021, 09:03 PM
Boyle, today's miss didn't matter.
On them till he misses a meaningful one then switch back to Nisbet.

Iv’e never been convinced with Boyle’s penalties.

They all seem to be a couple of feet off the ground and a yard in from the post . Pretty sure goalies study oppositions penalty takers and today’s goalie guessed the right side.

We need a penalty taker who buries them in the side net. Easier said than done . :greengrin

hibbysam
20-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Give them back to Kev, he’s got a top scorer award to win for me 😂

Peevemor
20-02-2021, 09:15 PM

They all seem to be a couple of feet off the ground and a yard in from the post . Pretty sure goalies study oppositions penalty takers and today’s goalie guessed the right side.

We need a penalty taker who buries them in the side net. Easier said than done . :greengrinI've said pretty much the same on other threads. The penalties that he's scored have all been saveable but the keepers have guessed wrong.

However it wouldn't bother me to see Boyle taking the next one as confidence counts as much as anything else and I reckon he's still full of it.

Lancs Harp
20-02-2021, 09:16 PM
Give them back to Kev, he’s got a top scorer award to win for me 😂

Kev cant take them from the bench.:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
20-02-2021, 09:19 PM
Keep Boyle on them. The only thing I would say is that he has to appreciate that goalkeepers study the oppositions penalty taker if they can. Boyle had taken our last two penalties and had put both in exactly the same place. Before he took the kick I knew if he put it to the keepers right as he had with the last two the keeper would have a chance of saving it and so it proved. It wasn't badly hit, but like the last two it was at a decent height for the keeper, even better for a keeper who had already decided Boyle would go that way.

hibbysam
20-02-2021, 09:20 PM
Kev cant take them from the bench.:wink:

NFL style, rolling subs when we get a penalty! 😀

wookie70
20-02-2021, 09:54 PM
I like penalty takers who place the ball where a keeper is unlikely to save it even if they guess right. Boyle seems to hit it hoping the goalie guesses wrong and for that reason I would change. The problem is the obvious choice isn't starting so I would probably go for Jackson Irvine as he is a guaranteed starter and seems full of confidence. Doidge desperately needs a goal but he would be behind Ofir for me in taking pens.

I do wonder if penalties are practiced as we don't have a brilliant record. Maybe the best way is to have a training competition and let the winner take the pens

G B Young
20-02-2021, 10:01 PM

We need a penalty taker who buries them in the side net. Easier said than done . :greengrin

Haven't seen his miss from today yet but prior to that he was hitting them with a lot of confidence.

I remember him hitting a great one in the semi-final shoot-out v the Arabs in 2016.

Juniper Greens
20-02-2021, 10:04 PM
Haven't seen his miss from today yet but prior to that he was hitting them with a lot of confidence.

I remember him hitting a great one in the semi-final shoot-out v the Arabs in 2016.

I remember him missing one in the league against them the next season.
I'm sure in our cup dvd boyler admits the semi penalty was a miskick?

Northernhibee
20-02-2021, 10:09 PM
I remember him missing one in the league against them the next season.
I'm sure in our cup dvd boyler admits the semi penalty was a miskick?

Yep, he meant to go bottom left :greengrin

Mr. Wonderful
20-02-2021, 11:14 PM
Murphy or Newell

green with envy
20-02-2021, 11:30 PM
Boyle's pens are do predictable, always goes to the keepers right. He missed one away to DUTD a few seasons ago very similar to yesterday's.

HibbyAndy
21-02-2021, 06:48 AM
Paul Hanlon

MartinfaePorty
21-02-2021, 07:37 AM
Did Hanlon not miss one in the Scottish Cup?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
21-02-2021, 07:37 AM
As much as I like Boyle I think he will openly admit penalties aren’t his specialty but if he’s full of confidence...

Though surely Newell, Irvine, Murphy would all be decent shouts ?

I would expect us to get another this season as we drive at the opposition and ask questions - curious to see who is next !

Keith_M
21-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Can I take the next one please?

Surely I can't be any worse than the last lot.

worcesterhibby
21-02-2021, 08:16 AM
I do wonder if penalties are practiced as we don't have a brilliant record. Maybe the best way is to have a training competition and let the winner take the pens

this is the answer for me. I would also have every other member of the team behind the goal giving the taker abuse to up the pressure, to try to re-create the pressure situation of a match. Finish every training session with a PK competition, most consistent scorer takes them for real.

hibee-boys
21-02-2021, 08:30 AM
Anybody who had confidently hit it hard up into either corner, very little chance of these being saved, even if keeper guesses correct. Boyle’s yesterday was at the height that a keeper will always save if they get lucky. Maybe it was a miss kick but it was a poor effort.

G B Young
21-02-2021, 09:39 AM
Yep, he meant to go bottom left :greengrin

Right enough, I remember him saying that now. Oh well, it still looks great!

Onceinawhile
21-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Did Hanlon not miss one in the Scottish Cup?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Certainly missed the last one he took.

G B Young
21-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Anybody who had confidently hit it hard up into either corner, very little chance of these being saved, even if keeper guesses correct. Boyle’s yesterday was at the height that a keeper will always save if they get lucky. Maybe it was a miss kick but it was a poor effort.

As you say, though, aiming for a top corner takes a lot of confidence and there's little margin for error (as Nisbet found out in the cup semi). Anything hit high or chipped is risky (Cummings and Paatelainen spring to mind).

I don't think Boyle did too much wrong yesterday. He hit it hard to one side but the keeper guessed right and made a good save.

My heart used to be in my mouth back in the day when Tommy McIntyre was our penalty taker. Total reliance on the keeper going the other way.

hibeejeebies
21-02-2021, 10:46 AM
Boyle's pens are do predictable, always goes to the keepers right. He missed one away to DUTD a few seasons ago very similar to yesterday's.

Except for when he doesn't.

Unseen work
21-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Any penalty scored is a good pen.

Any penalty saved is a bad pen.

That seems to be the general consensus.

If the keeper dived the other way and Boyle hit it the same way everyone would be saying it’s a great penalty.

It’s about luck.

Go too high like Nisbet against Hearts and people are questioning why you don’t keep it low. Very hard to keep the ball on the ground when you smash it like Boyle did, always going to have a bit of lift.

hibbysam
21-02-2021, 10:56 AM

What about his first one in this run against St Mirren when he went high to the keepers left?

GreenCastle
13-03-2021, 03:58 PM
Goal Boyle...

We seem to have had quite a few penalties this season!!

wookie70
13-03-2021, 06:28 PM
Goal Boyle...

We seem to have had quite a few penalties this season!!

Referees seem to be confused with our yellow strip as we have had more than usual including quite a few that were soft at best. Boyle scored today but he doesn't look the answer for Pens to me. Today's decision was a massive factor in our win and delighted we made full use of it.

GreenCastle
13-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Not sure if he’s hit a penalty the other way yet. I don’t really care if they go in but still not fully confident with Boyle taking them.

kaimendhibs
14-03-2021, 02:10 AM
Martin scored. The End

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk