PDA

View Full Version : Leith Walk becoming one way for traffic..

Pages : [1] 2

GreenCastle
22-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Heads up if you haven’t heard that Leith Walk is going 1 way from 28th March for 18 months !

So that means you can only travel from the bottom (Great Junction Street) to the top Elm Row.

Bus routes / diversions will be in as the tram works take place.

Cataplana
22-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Park and ride is the most sensible answer. Even if it means leaving the car somewhere else and getting a bus for the last leg of the journey.

Edinburgh City Clowncil have allowed road works on so many strategic routes that traffic is backing up all over the city.

BroxburnHibee
22-02-2020, 10:01 AM
You'll be hard pushed to find a main road in the city without some form of roadworks or temp lights nowadays.

That added to this weather causing countless potholes is creating chaos.

tamig
22-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Heads up if you haven’t heard that Leith Walk is going 1 way from 28th March for 18 months !

So that means you can only travel from the bottom (Great Junction Street) to the top Elm Row.

Bus routes / diversions will be in as the tram works take place.

Any idea what the diversion route will be from the top to the foot of the walk? Bonnington and ER are the only obvious ones I can think of. Doesn’t sound like a comfortable prospect.

green day
22-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Any idea what the diversion route will be from the top to the foot of the walk? Bonnington and ER are the only obvious ones I can think of. Doesn’t sound like a comfortable prospect.

Suspect you are 100% right on those T.

It will take some time to settle down, a bit like the bus diversion when Leith St was closed. First couple of weeks will be "interesting".

GreenCastle
22-02-2020, 10:23 AM

Yup think buses going down Easter Road.

Still quite a way from Leith Walk if you need to access that area. Businesses will surely suffer again which is sad as many just recovering.

As others have said the city is getting worse daily - narrow roads / poorly designed cycle lanes and pot holes galore.

The only positive is once complete it my help fans on Leith walk depart the area as eases everyone trying to get onto buses.

Cataplana
22-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Still quite a way from Leith Walk if you need to access that area. Businesses will surely suffer again which is sad as many just recovering.

As others have said the city is getting worse daily - narrow roads / poorly designed cycle lanes and pot holes galore.

The only positive is once complete it my help fans on Leith walk depart the area as eases everyone trying to get onto buses.

It will be good for property prices too. Lots to be thankful for even though it is bankrupting the city and meeting a fraction of its transport needs. 😒

Jack
22-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Yup that's it.

The 10 and 11 are being diverted via Annandale Street and Bonnington. The 12 bus will no longer serve Leith and terminates it's route at St Andrews Square.

The other busses are diverted along London Road and down Easter Road. Expect one route I think it's either the 34 or 45 which will be going along Regent Road.

There's no change around Easter Road for the 1 and 35 although the 1 route has been extended to the old Eastern General Hospital area.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2020/02/service-change-to-take-effect-from-sunday-29-march-2020/

hibbymac
22-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Yup that's it.

The 10, 11 and 16 are being diverted via Annandale Street and Bonnington. The 12 bus will no longer serve Leith and terminates it's route at St Andrews Square.

The other busses are diverted along London Road and down Easter Road. Expect one route I think it's either the 34 or 45 which will be going along Regent Road.

There's no change around Easter Road for the 1 and 35 although the 1 route has been extended to the old Eastern General Hospital area.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2020/02/service-change-to-take-effect-from-sunday-29-march-2020/

I'm sure the 16 is going london road and easter road. :aok:

One Day Soon
22-02-2020, 01:30 PM

I don't think there is even a pretence now that the city isn't actively running an anti-car agenda.

Jack
22-02-2020, 01:34 PM
I'm sure the 16 is going london road and easter road. :aok:

Well spotted, I've edited it.

Tomsk
22-02-2020, 02:01 PM
I don't think there is even a pretence now that the city isn't actively running an anti-car agenda.

There is no pretence. It's stated public policy to give priority to pedestrians and cyclists over motorists.

The 90+2
22-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Yup that's it.

The 10 and 11 are being diverted via Annandale Street and Bonnington. The 12 bus will no longer serve Leith and terminates it's route at St Andrews Square.

22 7,14 & 49?

TimeForHeroes16
22-02-2020, 02:24 PM

Easter Road is certainly not “ quiet away “ from leith walk mate that a bit of a dramatic statement

Joe6-2
22-02-2020, 03:22 PM
You'll be hard pushed to find a main road in the city without some form of roadworks or temp lights nowadays.

That added to this weather causing countless potholes is creating chaos.

All horrendous at the moment

Joe6-2
22-02-2020, 03:23 PM
Easter Road is certainly not “ quiet away “ from leith walk mate that a bit of a dramatic statement

It is for older and infirm

Cataplana
22-02-2020, 05:46 PM
It is for older and infirm

Something the people in the council can't seem to get their head round.

darwenhibby
22-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Are the trams finally being extended?

Jack
22-02-2020, 10:11 PM
22 7,14 & 49?

They're the 'other busses' along with the 16.

.Sean.
23-02-2020, 03:35 AM
It took me 45 mins on the 10 this afternoon to get from Newhaven to Leith Walk opposite the harp. I’d have been quicker walking!

hibby6270
23-02-2020, 10:12 PM
Yup that's it.

34 is going along Regent Road. :thumbsup:

You’re right about the number 1 bus as well but should add that it will change route at the foot of Easter Road. Won’t go down Duncan Place, John’s Place, Links Gardens but will instead turn right on to Hermitage Place and go straight along the main road with Leith Links to the left and terminate at Seafield Street (old EGH entrance), then come back same way and back to normal route at foot of Easter Road.

Here’s a helpful(?) diagram.

davhibby
24-02-2020, 12:01 AM
I’d guess it won’t be great traffic wise normally but when we’ve got a game it will be a disaster. Best bet will be to leave the car at home/somewhere outside of the centre and take the bus or tram

Frankhfc
24-02-2020, 01:59 AM

Yep. Pack the herds onto their publicly funded buses and trams while they the elite happily swan around in their big cars and fly around the world as often as they can. We've heard it all before. One rule for the elite and another for the plebs.

Stonewall
24-02-2020, 05:50 AM
Yep. Pack the herds onto their publicly funded buses and trams while they the elite happily swan around in their big cars and fly around the world as often as they can. We've heard it all before. One rule for the elite and another for the plebs.

So what would you do to ease the traffic situation in the city?

Jack
24-02-2020, 08:47 AM

For decades London has had a computerised system to regulate the traffic flow along busy corridors. Edinburgh could do with adopting a similar system.

You wouldn't dare park, even for a minute, on these London roads. In Edinburgh folk in cars, vans, lorries just park up where they fancy, Lothian Road, Costorphine Road being great examples, and congestion racks up almost immediately. Get the traffic wardens patrolling these streets particularly during busy periods instead of catching motorists that have overstayed by a couple of minutes in an out of the way parking bay.

There's lots the council have chosen not to do.

McSwanky
24-02-2020, 10:29 AM
For decades London has had a computerised system to regulate the traffic flow along busy corridors. Edinburgh could do with adopting a similar system.

You wouldn't dare park, even for a minute, on these London roads. In Edinburgh folk in cars, vans, lorries just park up where they fancy, Lothian Road, Costorphine Road being great examples, and congestion racks up almost immediately. Get the traffic wardens patrolling these streets particularly during busy periods instead of catching motorists that have overstayed by a couple of minutes in an out of the way parking bay.

There's lots the council have chosen not to do.

Jack for Lord Provost! The council seems devoid of any common sense when it comes to traffic management, initiatives like this would help immensely.

lord bunberry
24-02-2020, 10:30 AM
I’d do nothing, it’s a big city that has rush hour congestion like any other city. People don’t want to use buses or trams.

danhibees1875
24-02-2020, 10:35 AM
I’d do nothing, it’s a big city that has rush hour congestion like any other city. People don’t want to use buses or trams.

People don't want to use buses or trams?

How do you figure that?

lord bunberry
24-02-2020, 10:55 AM
People don't want to use buses or trams?

How do you figure that?
Because they continue drive their cars.

danhibees1875
24-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Because they continue drive their cars.

Okay, that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation then?

The bus service around in Edinburgh seems to be very well used.

lord bunberry
24-02-2020, 11:19 AM
Okay, that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation then?

The bus service around in Edinburgh seems to be very well used.
Yes what I meant was lots of people don’t want to use public transport.

danhibees1875
24-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Yes what I meant was lots of people don’t want to use public transport.

That makes more sense. :aok:

In which case, I think they should be looking at why that is. There might be some issues which can never be resolved, but public transport around Edinburgh is great, and if there's areas which can be improved on to make it of more use to more people then that's all the better too.

Public transport fulfills my requirements to the point where I just can't see the point in owning a car - never have in my 10 years since passing my test.

Stonewall
24-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Fair enough, but Edinburgh is a growing city so it will continue to get worse until people are forced onto public transport at which point it has to be a viable alternative. Council missed a huge opportunity to set up and finance a viable mass transport system when they shat out of introducing congestion charging a few years ago.

i think we’re not far away from that now for many people. I used to drive in but switched to the train for that reason but they were all cancelled due to the weather on Saturday. Elected to drive in: big mistake.

Jack
24-02-2020, 01:26 PM
Fair enough, but Edinburgh is a growing city so it will continue to get worse until people are forced onto public transport at which point it has to be a viable alternative. Council missed a huge opportunity to set up and finance a viable mass transport system when they shat out of introducing congestion charging a few years ago.

i think we’re not far away from that now for many people. I used to drive in but switched to the train for that reason but they were all cancelled due to the weather on Saturday. Elected to drive in: big mistake.

Why should Edinburgh continue to get worse just because it's getting bigger?

There's lots of cities around the world bigger than Edinburgh that manage.

Edinburgh is only the 9th largest city in the UK yet has the worst congestion according to some satnav company recently. Only 1 has a congestion charge that I'm aware of. Maybe the council could learn some lessons from them.

The City of Edinburgh Council just don't appear want to learn.

green day
24-02-2020, 02:49 PM
Why should Edinburgh continue to get worse just because it's getting bigger?

There's lots of cities around the world bigger than Edinburgh that manage.

Edinburgh is only the 9th largest city in the UK yet has the worst congestion according to some satnav company recently. Only 1 has a congestion charge that I'm aware of. Maybe the council could learn some lessons from them.

The City of Edinburgh Council just don't appear want to learn.

There are multiple reasons for this. One of the largest is because we have (West approach road aside, and that used to be a train track) resisted the temptation to drive dual carriageways or motorways through the city centre...........which imo is a good thing although some would disagree.

I agree with Bunberry above, traffic is what it is - I have to get round town going job to job and (rush hour aside) its not that bad.

I also use the bus when I can and its a brilliant service, if not bus then taxis - if I still worked in St Andrew Sq I wouldnt even think about the car.

n.b. I appreciate these sat nav stats are probably based on facts but how they are presented can be skewed - I used to travel down south for work a lot and anyone thinking that Edinburgh is the most congested part of the UK has never sat on the M25 at rush hour :greengrin

Billy Whizz
26-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Drove down Leith Walk for the 1st time in 3 months, this week. Was shocked at the road works for the trams
Can only drive down part of the way
God knows what it would have been like, if we’d all be going to the game on Saturday
Looks like I’ll need to find a new way to get to ER when this is all over

ianwalker1875
26-07-2020, 05:34 PM
Given the almost two years of disruption the businesses in Leith Walk put up with a few years ago for tram work preparation can someone please explain what they are doing now?

green day
26-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Given the almost two years of disruption the businesses in Leith Walk put up with a few years ago for tram work preparation can someone please explain what they are doing now?

Laying the tram tracks

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2020, 05:39 PM

Moving any services first that would be under the tracks then preparing for laying the tracks. And narrowing pavements at certain points. Apparently since the last prep some services had still been installed in the way of the tracks.

Billy Whizz
26-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Laying the tram tracks

How long is this going to take

Joe6-2
26-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Moving any services first that would be under the tracks then preparing for laying the tracks.

What the f*** did they do last time, throw everything back in the hole!!

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2020, 05:43 PM
What the f*** did they do last time, throw everything back in the hole!!

I said the same thing at a meeting with the council as a rep for the Vittoria Group, unbelievably they couldn’t guarantee nothing new had been installed so done exploratory digs at certain sections and narrowed pavements at certain points.

Kato
26-07-2020, 05:48 PM
I said the same thing at a meeting with the council as a rep for the Vittoria Group, unbelievably they couldn’t guarantee nothing new had been installed so done exploratory digs at certain sections and narrowed pavements at certain points.+4000 holes dug on Leith Walk for the last tram prep. A total con trick.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

greenlad
26-07-2020, 05:51 PM

Road closures about 18 months

GlesgaeHibby
26-07-2020, 05:51 PM

Yonks.

Constitution street was originally fully shut for a year to do the works (will no doubt be longer now due to Covid-19 delays). I still can't get my head round how, with a road fully shut for a year it will take that long to do the works. Couple of weeks to dig a hole, couple of months to divert services, couple of months to backfill, tar and lay tracks. I'm all for extending the tram route, but the pace at which works are due to progress is shockingly slow.

Mon Dieu4
26-07-2020, 05:56 PM
I said the same thing at a meeting with the council as a rep for the Vittoria Group, unbelievably they couldn’t guarantee nothing new had been installed so done exploratory digs at certain sections and narrowed pavements at certain points.

Yep, I live in Leith and asked them about it, they said that they couldn't guarantee that the last two times it had been dug up that it had been done correctly so for liability purposes they had to dig it up again and make sure everything was as it should be etc:rolleyes:

Billy Whizz
26-07-2020, 05:57 PM

Are they getting rates relief, although the business will need more than that

Scouse Hibee
26-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Are they getting rates relief, although the business will need more than that

Yes but it hit the businesses massively last time around so with tram works and Covid restrictions it will be very tough. One of the factors in La Favorita deciding to discard their entire fleet of Fiat 500’s.

lord bunberry
26-07-2020, 06:16 PM
It’s unbelievable to me that all the work on leith walk the last time has basically been a waste of time. Loads of businesses went bust due to the tram works a few years ago and to hear that they didn’t even do what they were supposed to do is a disgrace. What the **** were they doing for two years down there.

BroxburnHibee
26-07-2020, 07:15 PM
It’s unbelievable to me that all the work on leith walk the last time has basically been a waste of time. Loads of businesses went bust due to the tram works a few years ago and to hear that they didn’t even do what they were supposed to do is a disgrace. What the **** were they doing for two years down there.

A question the inquiry has yet to answer.

Jack
26-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Road closures about 18 months

I was told 2 years by one of the guys in the 'help' office containers things near Nobles.

greenlad
26-07-2020, 07:58 PM
I was told 2 years by one of the guys in the 'help' office containers things near Nobles.

18 months is the "official" time as per this https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/tramstonewhaven/construction-information/proposed-timelines?documentId=4&categoryId=8

but if the first stage is anything to by, it'll slip to 5 years!

Kato
26-07-2020, 07:59 PM
i wonder how many people connected through family or friends to the council own companies who dig up roads? One of the cons on the compulsory roof repairs scams was that councilors/council workers had "friends" who rented out the scaffold used. Too good a scam to miss out on with digging up roads, which they didn't miss out on the last time.

Newhaven
26-07-2020, 08:19 PM
My heart goes out to every resident and business owner in the leith area.

These works and obsession with the trams would break even the hardened leither. I drove along from porty to granton at the weekend and even the traffic on Lindsay road was one way :confused:

davhibby
26-07-2020, 08:39 PM

It was supposed to start in April and finish before the festival next year but who knows when it will be done now. Avoiding this is about the only positive I can think of not being able to see us play at ER for the foreseeable. Easter Road will be a car park when there’s 15k people trying to get to the games

tamig
26-07-2020, 08:41 PM
Drove down Leith Walk for the 1st time in 3 months, this week. Was shocked at the road works for the trams
Can only drive down part of the way
God knows what it would have been like, if we’d all be going to the game on Saturday
Looks like I’ll need to find a new way to get to ER when this is all over
Its been one way for a while now. Pain in the arse.

Logie Green
26-07-2020, 09:37 PM

If the ‘workers’ take as long as they did laying the tracks on Princes Street there’s no chance it’ll be finished in whatever timescale the council halfwits have set.

I used to pass the ‘workers’ on Princes Street; often the scene was one bloke in a hole with a shovel in his hand, a few pals looking into the hole and some others standing about chatting on their mobiles. Chancers.

HendoDelivered
26-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Be like that for about 2 years. My mate is working on it atm.

anon1875
26-07-2020, 10:08 PM
I used to work for a major travel company owned by the Scottish Government and have seen first hand how utterly incompetent they are. If you keep voting for this Government, things will only get worse.

Kato
26-07-2020, 10:12 PM
I used to work for a major travel company owned by the Scottish Government and have seen first hand how utterly incompetent they are. If you keep voting for this Government, things will only get worse.Is it the Scottish Govt overseeing the Trams?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

jgl07
26-07-2020, 10:44 PM

I would take, with a pinch of salt, the idea that lots of businesses went down the pan because of the tram works. Many would have gone down regardless because of the recession from 2008. Also the disruption on Leith Walk was not that bad with two-way traffic pretty well maintained throughout. Failing businesses are always likely to try and blame someone else.

Having said that, a lot of questions remain about the project, We were told circa 2009 that the service diversions were 99% complete. A year later with two contractors - Carillion and Clancy Docwra - having worked continually diverting services, we were told that it was still 99% complete. It appears that it was nowhere 99% complete ten years or more on.

I suffered as much as anyone from the road works over the 2007-2009 period.

superfurryhibby
26-07-2020, 11:02 PM
Wait till the council tax has massive increases to cover the shortfall caused by Covid and gauge the support for the tram extension then.

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2021, 05:58 PM
just a heads-up the Leith walk end of Pilrig Street is now closed for 9 months for tram works

Billy Whizz
08-08-2021, 06:05 PM
just a heads-up the Leith walk end of Pilrig Street is now closed for 9 months for tram works

It was just gridlock getting up to York place, and that’s with a small crowd
I’ll need to think about how to get to ER, from the west of the city

Iggy Pope
08-08-2021, 06:15 PM

Do the correct thing and move east.

Hibs Class
08-08-2021, 06:16 PM
I ended up parking at far end of pilrig street... after the pain of the last two euro ties trying to get across leith walk gave up today and just took the pain of a 1.5m walk to the game

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2021, 06:24 PM
before Lockdown i was parking down at Rosebank cemetery anyway not through choice but by necessity, spent a couple of decades living in Pilrig Street and the traffic/parking over the last several years is just horrible, even the park side is hopeless nowayears

i'm not back at ER for at least a few months anyway, hopefully the traffic will have eased by then :faf:

MrSmith
08-08-2021, 06:55 PM

If you are driving, come round via Arthur Seat to Meadowbank. Can use the Georgie to Morningside/Bruntfield to Newington back roads to get there.

Just Alf
08-08-2021, 07:01 PM
I’ll need to think about how to get to ER, from the west of the cityGet to a tram stop, take tram to York Place then walk over..... assuming you're able, .... I do it a lot for work as I work on Easter Road.

Big_Franck
08-08-2021, 07:06 PM
Get to a tram stop, take tram to York Place then walk over..... assuming you're able, .... I do it a lot for work as I work on Easter Road.

For anyone that isn't able to walk (and for lazy gits like me) from york place there's a bus stop on york place directly opposite the tram stop. There's a number of buses from there that go down Easter road now that they can't go down Leith Walk.

Just Alf
08-08-2021, 07:16 PM
For anyone that isn't able to walk (and for lazy gits like me) from york place there's a bus stop on york place directly opposite the tram stop. There's a number of buses from there that go down Easter road now that they can't go down Leith Walk.Funnily enough, I sometimes do exactly that :agree: (well, at the time it was to the top, literally round corner and up a wee bit from work)

Billy Whizz
08-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ll give it some thought for Sunday

jgl07
08-08-2021, 08:12 PM
I got caught out for the Arsenal match and ended up with a long walk after the bus went down McDonald Road. In subsequent matches I have got off at York Place and walked through. No problems in the way home as (most of) the buses run along Leith Walk as normal into town.

PatHead
08-08-2021, 08:15 PM
If you are driving, come round via Arthur Seat to Meadowbank. Can use the Georgie to Morningside/Bruntfield to Newington back roads to get there.

Park is closed on a Saturday and Sunday.

Iggy Pope
08-08-2021, 08:19 PM

It’s been shut on a Sunday since the first lot of trams were dug up! :greengrin

MrSmith
08-08-2021, 09:36 PM

Ah, that’s a problem and therefore, down to the Pleasance and onto Holyrood Road.

Eyrie
08-08-2021, 09:49 PM
Get to a tram stop, take tram to York Place then walk over..... assuming you're able, .... I do it a lot for work as I work on Easter Road.

The main problem with that suggestion is that it only works for a very small percentage of Edinburgh residents. My "nearest" tram stop would be York Place.

Instead of wasting all that money, it should have been invested in the latest generation of environmentally friendly buses for the benefit of all of us.

JimBHibees
08-08-2021, 09:53 PM

Thought shut only on sundays

H18 SFR
08-08-2021, 10:44 PM
Thought shut only on sundays

Saturday and Sunday now and considering closing it on a Thursday and Friday as well. I think it’s safe to say that it will eventually be closed permanently.

JimBHibees
08-08-2021, 11:06 PM
Saturday and Sunday now and considering closing it on a Thursday and Friday as well. I think it’s safe to say that it will eventually be closed permanently.

Nightmare that is the way I usually drive in to ER

Viva_Palmeiras
08-08-2021, 11:06 PM

hope not slowly but surely the routes through from east to west are being whittled down to a couple of arteries - you block one and there’s no alternative. CEC have made it excruciating painful to drive and I do hate them for that but maybe we need a reality check esp with climate change but trams do not reach out east and with more and more houses built in green belt buses jammed.

They just don’t think through the impact and plan ahead in terms of infrastructure. So they can do one! They allow flats to be built at the old Dryborough Brewery where’s that traffic gonna go? It’s choke up Duddingston road south in both directions if they shut the park prob will regardless.

isit going to be reintroducing the suburban railways?

Just Alf
08-08-2021, 11:16 PM
The main problem with that suggestion is that it only works for a very small percentage of Edinburgh residents. My "nearest" tram stop would be York Place.

Instead of wasting all that money, it should have been invested in the latest generation of environmentally friendly buses for the benefit of all of us.Oh I know, highly modernised buses would have been my first choice back in the day.

We are where we are though and the OP is talking about driving from the west side of Edinburgh, so on that basis a wee drive to a tram stop is saving the drive across town.

davhibby
09-08-2021, 12:02 AM

That’s what we’ve done coming through from Glasgow so far, dump the car at Murrayfield and hop on a tram. Slightly longer than it used to take us driving the whole way but I’d imagine it’ll be quicker than attempting to drive anywhere near ER when we’re back to full crowds

GreenCastle
09-08-2021, 06:43 AM
Low emissions zone next in the centre of town which will be trialled till 2022 when it will become permanent.

Having been to games in Germany etc I got the tram / train to games as the infrastructure was there. Edinburgh and Easter Road is more difficult to do that. They will have new tram stop at McDonald Road and Balfour Street so maybe more fans will use that and walk. Who knows..

Hibs being the greenest club should be finding / suggesting ways for fans to get to the stadium as safely and as eco as possible. Summer isn’t a major issue as lighter and more warm it’s winter when the weather is cold and gets dark earlier.

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2021, 07:41 AM
I would take, with a pinch of salt, the idea that lots of businesses went down the pan because of the tram works. Many would have gone down regardless because of the recession from 2008. Also the disruption on Leith Walk was not that bad with two-way traffic pretty well maintained throughout. Failing businesses are always likely to try and blame someone else.

Having said that, a lot of questions remain about the project, We were told circa 2009 that the service diversions were 99% complete. A year later with two contractors - Carillion and Clancy Docwra - having worked continually diverting services, we were told that it was still 99% complete. It appears that it was nowhere 99% complete ten years or more on.

I suffered as much as anyone from the road works over the 2007-2009 period.

Great post. Many people just moan about trams as they are a visible sign disruption in lives that are perceived to be spinning out of control. They allow us to vent our anger and existential despair on the irreconcilability of a narcissistic, individualistic culture with the inevitability of mortality, and the decline of an economic and social system that has, for all its flaws, sustained us for generations, and the threat of almost immediate species extinction through climate change and global pandemics. And also, of course, the baffling tendency for Jack Ross’s teams to be outfought by inferior opposition at big Hampden cup games.

It’s not really about the trams.

AltheHibby
09-08-2021, 07:56 AM
Oh I know, highly modernised buses would have been my first choice back in the day.

We are where we are though and the OP is talking about driving from the west side of Edinburgh, so on that basis a wee drive to a tram stop is saving the drive across town.

I had a conversation with a senior(ish) manager at Lothian Buses a few years back. He correctly pointed out that for a fraction of the cost of the trams that LB could have replaced their entire fleet of 600+ buses with the latest buses available at the time.

And, as the buses are proving with their diverted routes, buses are flexible in a way trams can never be.

marinello59
09-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Great post. Many people just moan about trams as they are a visible sign disruption in lives that are perceived to be spinning out of control. They allow us to vent our anger and existential despair on the irreconcilability of a narcissistic, individualistic culture with the inevitability of mortality, and the decline of an economic and social system that has, for all its flaws, sustained us for generations, and the threat of almost immediate species extinction through climate change and global pandemics. And also, of course, the baffling tendency for Jack Ross’s teams to be outfought by inferior opposition at big Hampden cup games.

It’s not really about the trams.

I’m just annoyed that I have to walk an extra ten yards from the Pilrig Street junction to cross the road.

overdrive
09-08-2021, 08:31 AM
I’ve just moved to the west of the city (boo hiss). I’m fortunate enough to live round the corner from a bus stop with buses that will take me down Easter Road (at the moment - usually Leith Walk), 5-10 minutes walk to a train station and about a 10 minute walk to a tram stop.

I think normally my fastest route into a match will be a train (if the times suit) and either walk or bus down from Waverley. However, there’s no trains on a Sunday due to a strike and I just missed the bus so yesterday I got a tram in. I was surprised at how quick it was to get into town. It was also really busy. A nice walk along London Road. I got the bus to York Place after the match due to the rain. I think I’ll keep getting the tram to the matches.

Just Alf
09-08-2021, 08:45 AM
I had a conversation with a senior(ish) manager at Lothian Buses a few years back. He correctly pointed out that for a fraction of the cost of the trams that LB could have replaced their entire fleet of 600+ buses with the latest buses available at the time.

And, as the buses are proving with their diverted routes, buses are flexible in a way trams can never be.I used to think that at least the Trams were future proof as they were 100% electric, I see now that there's fully electric buses on the go as well though.

davym7062
09-08-2021, 08:54 AM
For anyone that isn't able to walk (and for lazy gits like me) from york place there's a bus stop on york place directly opposite the tram stop. There's a number of buses from there that go down Easter road now that they can't go down Leith Walk.

walk round to leith st where u can get the 7 14 22 49 all go down ER

Oscar T Grouch
09-08-2021, 09:08 AM
This is a pain for me, literally. My bus used to go along Pilrig Street which was perfect to get to my work in Bonnington, the bus is now back onto it's McDonald Road route and I have an extra 10 minute walk before and after work. Good for me but my ankle is bust the now and it hurts like buggery to walk. At least the tram works are progressing, I pass them every day and they never look like they are advancing at any decent rate.

Billy Whizz
09-08-2021, 11:04 AM
This is a pain for me, literally. My bus used to go along Pilrig Street which was perfect to get to my work in Bonnington, the bus is now back onto it's McDonald Road route and I have an extra 10 minute walk before and after work. Good for me but my ankle is bust the now and it hurts like buggery to walk. At least the tram works are progressing, I pass them every day and they never look like they are advancing at any decent rate.

When are they due to be completed

Oscar T Grouch
09-08-2021, 12:33 PM
When are they due to be completed

They are scheduled to finish the whole project in early 2023 and they say they are still on schedule to do so despite Covid, there is however little information as to when Leith Walk works will be done, they said 2 years so working that from the March 2020 start date you'd assume Leith Walk will be done by March 2022, it certainly doesn't look like that is the case. The trams will be needed in the North of the city as lots of housing has been and is scheduled to be built in this area over the next 10 years. The current inner city infrastructure would not cope with the extra people without the trams.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2021, 10:58 PM
Perhaps one for the club but maybe someone on here might know and I thought this may be a relevant thread to ask this question so here goes.

Does anyone know when St Clair Street will be reserved for blue badge holders only again?

I've noticed that it's not been reserved for blue badge holders on the two occasions I've been to Easter Road so far this season.

Thinking that this would be a council issue rather than a Hibs one, I contacted the council to ask if St Clair Street would once again be used for disabled parking on matchdays at Easter Road, as it has been for many years. I was told that it would be but the question of when this would resume was something for Hibs to answer as "they had applied for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) which can be implemented during the relevant fixture on the detailed dates and times depending on crowd numbers."

Can anyone shed any more light on this and whether this TTRO will be lifted any time soon?

Radium
29-08-2021, 08:31 PM
https://www.broughtonspurtle.org.uk/news/full-circle-boundary

Not helpful but sort of interesting, maybe [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgl07
30-08-2021, 09:28 AM

And, as the buses are proving with their diverted routes, buses are flexible in a way trams can never be.
So a senior manager with Lothian Buses thinks that all money should have been spent on new buses. I would never have guessed that one. I spent many years travelling along Leith Walk and Princes Street on buses travelling in to work when I stayed in Leith or going to Easter Road subsequently. It was always a pain with the buses stopping at every lamp post and then taking an eternity with passengers getting on and off. Even
With cars being progressively squeezed off parts of the route, it was still painfully slow. Sometimes there would be two or three buses queuing at a stop on Princes Street. You can put the most modern buses on the route and it would still be slow.

By contrast a tram loads in seconds and is on its way. With much of its path separated from other road users, a tram is less affected by traffic congestion.

O'Rourke3
30-08-2021, 10:59 AM
So a senior manager with Lothian Buses thinks that all money should have been spent on new buses. I would never have guessed that one. I spent many years travelling along Leith Walk and Princes Street on buses travelling in to work when I stayed in Leith or going to Easter Road subsequently. It was always a pain with the buses stopping at every lamp post and then taking an eternity with passengers getting on and off. Even
With cars being progressively squeezed off parts of the route, it was still painfully slow. Sometimes there would be two or three buses queuing at a stop on Princes Street. You can put the most modern buses on the route and it would still be slow.

By contrast a tram loads in seconds and is on its way. With much of its path separated from other road users, a tram is less affected by traffic congestion.Most of the time yes. Ive sat in the tram at Haymarket and waited 20 mins to move on(East) more than one occasion. Generally slow from there in also will get off next stop and walk. Still miles quicker than the buses..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2021, 12:46 PM

By contrast a tram loads in seconds and is on its way. With much of its path separated from other road users, a tram is less affected by traffic congestion.

Generally agree with you however on many occasions the whole tram system has come to a standstill because of one incident on the tram route.

wallpaperman
17-05-2022, 08:12 PM
Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who lives/drives in the Dalmeny Street area.

A couple of weeks ago, much to my surprise, I was able to drive along Dalmeny Street towards Leith Walk, take a left into Leith Walk, and then turn into Pilrig Street.

Does anyone know if that’s still the case?

Have to get to Wardie tomorrow for daughter’s primary school football tourney for 4.30 with not a lot of spare time, and coming from the Craigentinny side trying to work out the quickest route.

beensaidbefore
17-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Both were open today. I pass there in the morning so can check and give an update.

Dashing Bob S
17-05-2022, 08:23 PM
Ron Gordon will never improve the club as long as such horrendous infrastructure issues abound in the neighborhood

LunasBoots
17-05-2022, 08:25 PM
Traffics been hell round the bottom of Leith walk past few days, Duke Street apparently getting closed aswell.

Islington Hibs
17-05-2022, 08:28 PM
I don’t know where to start so mad and devoid of common sense is the councils transport policy.

Edinburgh used to be a joy to get round. No problem at all. Now they have dug up every road for no good purpose.

The tram system has cost well over £1bn or over £8000 for every family in the town and runs half empty with no prospect of ever even covering a fraction of its costs. The busses did the job perfectly well and cheaply. Business has been massively disrupted and as an example Leith Walk has been decimated.

Next these fools put up cycle lanes all over the place which are dangerous, look unsightly and are barely used. They cause massive congestion and twice as
much pollution given the slow pace of travel.

They are ruining this city with crazy vanity projects.

wallpaperman
17-05-2022, 08:33 PM
Both were open today. I pass there in the morning so can check and give an update.

Thanks very much for confirming, if there was any change to that tomorrow and you had the chance to post on this thread, would be hugely appreciated. :thumbsup:

beensaidbefore
17-05-2022, 10:00 PM
Thanks very much for confirming, if there was any change to that tomorrow and you had the chance to post on this thread, would be hugely appreciated. :thumbsup:

Will do :aok:

BroxburnHibee
18-05-2022, 12:26 AM
Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who lives/drives in the Dalmeny Street area.

A couple of weeks ago, much to my surprise, I was able to drive along Dalmeny Street towards Leith Walk, take a left into Leith Walk, and then turn into Pilrig Street.

Does anyone know if that’s still the case?

Have to get to Wardie tomorrow for daughter’s primary school football tourney for 4.30 with not a lot of spare time, and coming from the Craigentinny side trying to work out the quickest route.

It's fine to use that route just now. Albert Iona and Lorne all closed off. Duke St is changing soon all transport diverted onto Manderston apparently. That'll be fun.....

offshorehibby
18-05-2022, 05:18 AM
It's fine to use that route just now. Albert Iona and Lorne all closed off. Duke St is changing soon all transport diverted onto Manderston apparently. That'll be fun.....

I think Duke St will still be open but there will be no left turn going onto Leith Walk, that traffic will go via
Gordon/Manderston St.

easty
18-05-2022, 05:49 AM
I don’t know where to start so mad and devoid of common sense is the councils transport policy.

Edinburgh used to be a joy to get round. No problem at all. Now they have dug up every road for no good purpose.

The tram system has cost well over £1bn or over £8000 for every family in the town and runs half empty with no prospect of ever even covering a fraction of its costs. The busses did the job perfectly well and cheaply. Business has been massively disrupted and as an example Leith Walk has been decimated.

Next these fools put up cycle lanes all over the place which are dangerous, look unsightly and are barely used. They cause massive congestion and twice as

When was Edinburgh a joy to get around? Back when there were 50% fewer cars?

green day
18-05-2022, 06:30 AM

Clueless drivel.

beensaidbefore
18-05-2022, 08:25 AM

Both Dalmeny at Pilrig open for cars this morning :aok:

GreenCastle
18-05-2022, 08:30 AM
Leith Walk tram works have definitely affected many trying to attend games and the hassle it’s caused.

Think once it’s all sorted hopefully it will improve fans journeys to the stadium.

When’s it all due to be done ? Next summer ?

The extra traffic at the top of the walk and bottom of the walk has been bad throughout and I can’t imagine what it’s been like for the businesses who were trying to recover after the last digging up several years ago.

When it’s all done leith walk should be so much better but will take a while for it to recover.

.Sean.
18-05-2022, 08:51 AM
I think Duke St will still be open but there will be no left turn going onto Leith Walk, that traffic will go via
Gordon/Manderston St.
I drive home from work about half 5 along Seafield through salamander street and on past the shore and it’s been taking me half an hour to get from about the shell garage at seafield and through the temporary lights at Pierinos. I’ll be glad when it’s done whenever that is

overdrive
18-05-2022, 09:16 AM

Are you looking at the trams and seeing them half empty at off peak times like buses are?

I live near a tram stop and use it a fair bit. I can rarely get a seat.

greenpaper55
18-05-2022, 09:23 AM
Are you looking at the trams and seeing them half empty at off peak times like buses are?

I live near a tram stop and use it a fair bit. I can rarely get a seat.

Aye, trams to Asda at Newhaven ! That will pack them in for sure !

offshorehibby
18-05-2022, 12:30 PM
🚶*♀️The Dalmeny Street crossing point will relocate approximately 20meters southbound on Leith Walk from Thursday 19 May 2022.

This is to accommodate further works in the area.

Mantis Toboggan
18-05-2022, 01:03 PM

Via Leith walk, the most densely populated place in Scotland.

wallpaperman
18-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Both Dalmeny at Pilrig open for cars this morning :aok:

Thanks mate, I saw your message earlier didn’t get the chance to reply.

Got from Craigentinny to Wardie in 25 minutes around 4 o’clock going that way, absolute breeze. Came back about 7.15 via Junction Street and Duke Street, was still a mess heading towards Leith, we were fine heading east though.

beensaidbefore
18-05-2022, 08:52 PM
Thanks mate, I saw your message earlier didn’t get the chance to reply.

Got from Craigentinny to Wardie in 25 minutes around 4 o’clock going that way, absolute breeze. Came back about 7.15 via Junction Street and Duke Street, was still a mess heading towards Leith, we were fine heading east though.

Happy to help. Glad you made it! :aok:

Diclonius
19-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Will the trams down Leith Walk be done in time for the new season? I'll be changing my journey from 100% car to stopping at Ingliston if so.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2022, 01:22 PM
Will the trams down Leith Walk be done in time for the new season? I'll be changing my journey from 100% car to stopping at Ingliston if so.

Next spring

Diclonius
19-05-2022, 04:37 PM
Next spring

Hermiston it is.

chippy
19-05-2022, 05:44 PM

Maybe not Asda, but the Shore, Ocean Terminal and Newhaven are pretty popular destinations

GreenCastle
03-10-2022, 12:30 PM
Just an update for any fans attending on Saturday...just been driving in Edinburgh and it's the usual mess near Omni.

Currently you can't go down Leith Walk opposite the Playhouse as they are digging up the road.

Brunswick Road - seems for the next 3 weeks you can't go across that junction to McDonald Road.

Are parts of Albert Street also closed ?

Basically getting across Leith Walk is very hard and some of these road works are here for next 3 weeks!

seanshow
03-10-2022, 02:11 PM
Yip they are doing there best to make it impossible to reach from the west,
now it's going to have to be along ferry road,stockbridge.
Approach via holyrood or right round the bypass and in that way.

GreenCastle
03-10-2022, 02:46 PM
The good news is they seem to think the tram construction work will be finished by Xmas.

With the line operating with testing from January and opening to public in Spring 2023.

Back Lounge
03-10-2022, 02:52 PM
Albert Street is shut until 31 July 2023 !

Can travel from Leith Walk along Brunswick Road towards Easter Road.

Everyday is an adventure at the moment.

Pretty Boy
03-10-2022, 02:55 PM
Just an update for any fans attending on Saturday...just been driving in Edinburgh and it's the usual mess near Omni.

Currently you can't go down Leith Walk opposite the Playhouse as they are digging up the road.

Brunswick Road - seems for the next 3 weeks you can't go across that junction to McDonald Road.

Basically getting across Leith Walk is very hard and some of these road works are here for next 3 weeks!

It's an absolute **** show.

I left the house at 6.55 this morning, at that time it's usually a 10-15 minute drive to work. Got to my desk at 7.50. Just about to finish up and dreading the drive home. Thank God I walk the other 4 days (which tbf is probably the goal of making driving in the city so difficult).

greenlex
03-10-2022, 03:05 PM

Last game I parked in the park and ride at Ingliston. Took the tram. (First time on the tram.)Wasn’t quicker but far less stressful. I’m done with driving in town. Can’t wait for the extension to be up and running. £3.40 return it’s probably cheaper.

PatHead
03-10-2022, 03:45 PM
Probably worth mentioning that there is a pro-independence march on Saturday from Johnston Terrace through Lawn Market (https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in-edinburgh/controversial-edinburgh-royal-mile-courtyard-23530122), High Street, Canon Gate and Horse Wynd to the Scottish Parliament at the bottom of the Royal Mile on Saturday from 12.30pm. May add to the disruption.

green day
03-10-2022, 03:59 PM

As someone who was in the car on York place heading toward London Rd earlier, I disagree..............its far worse than the usual :greengrin

I eventually managed to pull a U turn at the road leading up to the bus station, but I moved (genuinely) about 20 feet in 20 minutes before that.

Christ knows what it will be like around now.

I was going to my mums at Craigentinny, so ended up going through St Andrew Sq, Princes St and Waterloo Pl - all of which were empty !!

Leithwalk
03-10-2022, 04:01 PM

Brunswick Road is now one-way. No entry from Leith Walk. Brunswick Street closed while they sort out the mess they made of tge junction

Hibs4185
03-10-2022, 04:05 PM
As someone who was in the car on York place heading toward London Rd earlier, I disagree..............its far worse than the usual :greengrin

I eventually managed to pull a U turn at the road leading up to the bus station, but I moved (genuinely) about 20 feet in 20 minutes before that.

Christ knows what it will be like around now.

I was going to my mums at Craigentinny, so ended up going through St Andrew Sq, Princes St and Waterloo Pl - all of which were empty !!

I thought it was a no turn left from st Andrew sq into princes street nowadays?

GreenCastle
03-10-2022, 04:06 PM
Brunswick Road is now one-way. No entry from Leith Walk. Brunswick Street closed while they sort out the mess they made of tge junction

Today they had signs up saying no entry to Brunswick Road - so you weren’t able to head towards Leith Walk.

All traffic was going to London Road but was backed up for ages as lights slow and volume of traffic.

offshorehibby
03-10-2022, 04:08 PM
Probably worth mentioning that there is a pro-independence march on Saturday from Johnston Terrace through Lawn Market (https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in-edinburgh/controversial-edinburgh-royal-mile-courtyard-23530122), High Street, Canon Gate and Horse Wynd to the Scottish Parliament at the bottom of the Royal Mile on Saturday from 12.30pm. May add to the disruption.

Was that not Saturday past.

GreenCastle
03-10-2022, 04:08 PM

Why is Albert Street closed for so long ?

Seems the only place to cross Leith walk was the top near Omni - now you can’t do this ? Or the bottom - great junction street..which is constantly backed up with traffic.

Any other options ?

GreenCastle
03-10-2022, 04:15 PM

Seems the only place to cross Leith walk was the top near Omni - now you can’t do this ? Or the bottom - great junction street..which is constantly backed up with traffic.

Any other options ?

stuart-farquhar
03-10-2022, 04:22 PM
First off took 53 mins from Queensferry st to loop around at the Omni(shambles).

As far as I knew there was no road closure. No signs that I could see and if they exist - well inadequate is the most polite thing I can say.

Plus of course the road markings are useless. A straight ahead arrow in one lane that 10 yards later is a turn only!! Really! Just a total failure to provide road management at the most basic level.

60yearahibby
03-10-2022, 04:32 PM

Any other options ?
Scottish Water are currently upgrading the sewers/drains in Albert Street.
Once the trams works are finished near Elm Row there will be NO LEFT TURN from Leith Walk into London Road for southbound traffic (currently there is including temp traffic lights). If you miss the left turn at Albert St, once it is open again, then apart from a pedestrian priority turn at Brunswick St the only alternative will be to continue on and go round the new 'roundabout' at Picardy Place. Just to add to the confusion there will be no right turn from London Road into Leith Walk. Think Jambos must be in charge of road planning in Edinburgh and are trying to prevent folk getting to Easter Rd Stadium!

green day
03-10-2022, 04:48 PM
I thought it was a no turn left from st Andrew sq into princes street nowadays?

Aye, but you can come off York Pl drive up N St David St, skirt St A Sq and turn left onto Princes St from S St David St:aok:

HendoDelivered
03-10-2022, 04:51 PM
Place is an absolute **** show

Smartie
03-10-2022, 04:57 PM
First off took 53 mins from Queensferry st to loop around at the Omni(shambles).

As far as I knew there was no road closure. No signs that I could see and if they exist - well inadequate is the most polite thing I can say.

Plus of course the road markings are useless. A straight ahead arrow in one lane that 10 yards later is a turn only!! Really! Just a total failure to provide road management at the most basic level.

I got caught on this yesterday. I was an hour and a bit to get along Queen Street eastwards. There's no left turn onto Broughton Street, but I went for the "f it" option and turned that way as I reckon I'd have been another hour and a bit to get down towards London Road / top of Leith Walk.

There was no traffic elsewhere either so it wasn't a busy day.

Just disastrous planning and appalling signage going East from the West End.

I could see it being absolute carnage on Saturday and tbh they should be shouting from the rooftops to get people to avoid the area for the next 3 weeks.

GreenCastle
03-10-2022, 05:09 PM
New Street off Calton Road shut too and they have 2 sets of temp lights that way.

Would avoid York Place going towards Omni - traffic hardly moves.

Best bet is to park and walk Saturday as trying to get close will just mean sitting in traffic after if anywhere near Leith.

Big_Franck
03-10-2022, 05:12 PM
Scottish Water are currently upgrading the sewers/drains in Albert Street.
Once the trams works are finished near Elm Row there will be NO LEFT TURN from Leith Walk into London Road for southbound traffic (currently there is including temp traffic lights). If you miss the left turn at Albert St, once it is open again, then apart from a pedestrian priority turn at Brunswick St the only alternative will be to continue on and go round the new 'roundabout' at Picardy Place. Just to add to the confusion there will be no right turn from London Road into Leith Walk. Think Jambos must be in charge of road planning in Edinburgh and are trying to prevent folk getting to Easter Rd Stadium!

That's farcical. No left turn from Leith Walk/Elm Row onto London Road doesn't make any sense at all, and is just going to cause unnecessary additional traffic at the new Picardy place roundabout.

No right turn from London Road onto Leith Walk is equally confusing.

gbhibby
03-10-2022, 05:12 PM
Have tried going Stockbridge Broughton Road,Bonnington Road Great Junction Street ok most of the time but have had delays getting onto Gt Junction Street from Bonnington Road.

hibee_girl
03-10-2022, 05:50 PM
The traffic going down Easter road has been mental the last week or so. Same with Lochend and Restalrig.

You can now come from McDonald Road onto Brunswick Road. I hadn’t realised it had changed but it was a pleasant surprise on my way back from swimming tonight!

bingo70
03-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Have tried going Stockbridge Broughton Road,Bonnington Road Great Junction Street ok most of the time but have had delays getting onto Gt Junction Street from Bonnington Road.

Great junction street is torture to get along just now too in case anybody going that way as an alternative.

gbhibby
03-10-2022, 06:08 PM
Great junction street is torture to get along just now too in case anybody going that way as an alternative.
Made worse at rush hour due to the bus lane. The councils incompetence with regards to Transport is beyond belief.

SteveHFC
03-10-2022, 06:54 PM
my dad now refuses to do any deliveries/collections in leith walk he says its not worth the stress and cant see it getting any better even when completed:greengrin

Winston Ingram
03-10-2022, 07:11 PM
The whole City is an absolute mess.

I live in the the West of the City and i’ve got family in Mountcastle. I don’t now as the traffic is a disaster. I used to go and see them once a week. It’s now not far off a 2 hour round trip. It would be nearly double that if I wasn’t to take the car and get the bus.

Frazerbob
03-10-2022, 07:16 PM

That was last weekend

RIP
04-10-2022, 06:18 AM
The whole City is an absolute mess.

I live in the the West of the City and i’ve got family in Mountcastle. I don’t now as the traffic is a disaster. I used to go and see them once a week. It’s now not far off a 2 hour round trip. It would be nearly double that if I wasn’t to take the car and get the bus.

I travel via the Meadows Cameron Toll Duddingston to get to Porty from the Cramond Brig

bigwheel
04-10-2022, 06:48 AM
I travel via the Meadows Cameron Toll Duddingston to get to Porty from the Cramond Brig

go via Granton , Newhaven , seafield Road……surely would be much quicker ???

RIP
04-10-2022, 10:14 AM
go via Granton , Newhaven , seafield Road……surely would be much quicker ???

My wife has an office off Salamander Street. You can lose 30 minutes travelling from Granton to the Cat and Dog Home due to tram works around the Harbours.

40 minutes from the Brig Barnton Queensferry Road off at Stewart’s Melville then Shandwick Place Tollcross Grange Cameron Toll Duddingston to Porty. Admittedly I use side streets but the main goal at the moment is to avoid the team works and long waits at traffic lights in Leith.

snedzuk
04-10-2022, 10:29 AM
I was in a meeting with the tram team before the Leith extension started and the project manager told me that they hoped to do the works with a programme of extensive closures in Leith Walk.

'Have you spoken to Hibernian?' I asked

'Why would we do that' was the reply.

PatHead
04-10-2022, 11:05 AM
That was last weekend
Thanks for the update. Would have looked really stupid standing there on my own!!!!!

gbhibby
04-10-2022, 11:54 AM
Read that they expect the Leith Tram to be operational spring 2023 so it will be 2025 then.

hibee_girl
05-10-2022, 06:10 PM
Not sure it’s common knowledge yet but Queen Charlotte Street is finally open again 🥳

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-10-2022, 09:14 AM
Not sure it’s common knowledge yet but Queen Charlotte Street is finally open again 🥳

That certainly helped my journey into work this morning and will greatly assist me getting out of Leith in the evening. :thumbsup:

Diclonius
06-10-2022, 09:26 AM
How far do the trams go just now?

greenginger
06-10-2022, 09:38 AM
At the very least the Holyrood Park roads, Holyrood to Meadowbank , and Commonwealth pool to Duddingston , should stay open on Saturdays until these other road closures works are completed.

Billy Whizz
06-10-2022, 09:50 AM

St Andrews Square

Mon Dieu4
06-10-2022, 10:00 AM

St Andrews Sq to the airport

green day
06-10-2022, 10:38 AM

York Place, top of Broughton St

Mantis Toboggan
06-10-2022, 10:42 AM
York Place, top of Broughton St

No stop there now. It's st Andrews square as per earlier posts.

Billy Whizz
06-10-2022, 10:52 AM

I was a tram last week. The York Place stop will be no more. After St Andrews Square when the line to Newhaven opens, these are the stops
St Andrews Square
Picardy Place
McDonald Rd
Balfour St
Foot of the Walk
The Shore
Port of Leith
Ocean Terminal
Newhaven

green day
06-10-2022, 10:53 AM

Ta - I was in York place the other day and the trams going to York Place - but presumably that was just so they could flip round to the westbound track :aok:

green day
06-10-2022, 10:54 AM
I was a tram last week. The York Place stop will be no more. After St Andrews Square when the line to Newhaven opens, these are the stops
St Andrews Square
Picardy Place
McDonald Rd
Balfour St
Foot of the Walk
The Shore
Port of Leith
Ocean Terminal
Newhaven

Ta, that makes sense as the Picardy stop is in prime "John Lewis, Omni, Playhouse" territory

Lendo
06-10-2022, 11:13 AM
At the very least the Holyrood Park roads, Holyrood to Meadowbank , and Commonwealth pool to Duddingston , should stay open on Saturdays until these other road closures works are completed.

Problem is that keeping the park roads open isn’t something the council have any control over.

Mcbizz1998
06-10-2022, 12:29 PM
Read that they expect the Leith Tram to be operational spring 2023 so it will be 2025 then.

Nah, they are doing the final concrete pour this week and then electrifying the line. Got to give them their due, it’s been done on budget and on time.

The disruption has been a nightmare though.

Billy Whizz
06-10-2022, 12:44 PM
When they say Spring, do they mean March, April or May😀

Jack
06-10-2022, 01:05 PM

Yes.

Logie Green
06-10-2022, 01:22 PM

A report in the Evening News a while back revealed that the council definition of Spring in relation to the trams was July. 🤦*♂️

ancient hibee
06-10-2022, 01:39 PM
Problem is that keeping the park roads open isn’t something the council have any control over.

That used to be the case but I think in reality the Council controls the administration. The Pool to Duddingston road has been closed this week.

green day
06-10-2022, 01:59 PM
That used to be the case but I think in reality the Council controls the administration. The Pool to Duddingston road has been closed this week.

That road has had a load of issues with rock falls in the last 12 / 18 months.

Historic Scotland have been doing remedial work there for ages, resulting in periodic closures.

gbhibby
06-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Nah, they are doing the final concrete pour this week and then electrifying the line. Got to give them their due, it’s been done on budget and on time.

The disruption has been a nightmare though.
We will have to wait to see if its on budget,considering the budget for the works has been amended upwards on more than one occasion.

sadtom
06-10-2022, 03:00 PM
That road has had a load of issues with rock falls in the last 12 / 18 months.

Historic Scotland have been doing remedial work there for ages, resulting in periodic closures.

Surely that means the road should be closed permanently until it’s resolved. The rocks don’t know to only fall on a Saturday.

While all the other closures are going on especially North Bridge, Holyrood park should be open 24/7.
Once everything is back up and running then perhaps they can revert to being closed on a Sunday only (not really that pleased about that either).
Is the reason that it used to be closed on a Sunday something to do with the gene puddle Windsors?

green day
06-10-2022, 03:15 PM
Surely that means the road should be closed permanently until it’s resolved. The rocks don’t know to only fall on a Saturday.

While all the other closures are going on especially North Bridge, Holyrood park should be open 24/7.
Once everything is back up and running then perhaps they can revert to being closed on a Sunday only (not really that pleased about that either).
Is the reason that it used to be closed on a Sunday something to do with the gene puddle Windsors?

I think you have missed the point - he was talking about the road that goes from the commie to duddingston village being closed this week, not the general weekend closure within the entire park that affects the main road from the commie to meadowbank.

And, yes when the low road is suffering from rock falls, it is closed permanently......................

sadtom
06-10-2022, 03:24 PM
I think you have missed the point - he was talking about the road that goes from the commie to duddingston village being closed this week, not the general weekend closure within the entire park that affects the main road from the commie to meadowbank.

And, yes when the low road is suffering from rock falls, it is closed permanently......................

Ah, gotcha. Cheers.
I thought the road closed from commie to Duddingston was because the residents in Duddinston village had complained about the volume of traffic.

Still don’t know why they have, in last year or so, closed the main drag on the Saturday as well as the Sunday. Especially given all the other road closures and diversions.

GreenCastle
06-10-2022, 03:29 PM
Ah, gotcha. Cheers.
I thought the road closed from commie to Duddingston was because the residents in Duddinston village had complained about the volume of traffic.

Still don’t know why they have, in last year or so, closed the main drag on the Saturday as well as the Sunday. Especially given all the other road closures and diversions.

It’s to allow people visiting the park a safer and quieter environment from cars.

During covid etc people walking / cycling etc.

The annoying thing is there are very few options to get across town and seems many of them are shut currently or full of roadworks.

BS44
06-10-2022, 04:12 PM
Ah, gotcha. Cheers.

Cos it's a park.

hibee_girl
06-10-2022, 04:36 PM
To avoid the traffic on Easter road you could do what I saw someone do this afternoon and just drive down the wrong side of the road 🤪

Billy Whizz
06-10-2022, 04:46 PM
As someone who should have read this thread a bit more throughly!
Picked up a relative today at the airport to go to Malmaison in Leith. Thought I go my way of late, along Queen St, York Place, and turn right past the Playhouse, then through the houses to Easter Rd
I don’t recall seeing any diversion boards on Queen st
Road closed at the playhouse and you are diverted down to canonmills, turn right, then right McDonald Rd
Thank goodness I use the tram to go to ER

sadtom
06-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Cos it's a park.

With a road…that only recently became closed on a Saturday.
A road that could quite easily be used to reduce the traffic problems caused by the other road closures.
The local council and Scottish govt claim that they are trying to encourage public transport, yet on a Saturday all the cars that could have used that ‘artery’ through the city are being pushed onto the other main drag at Surgeons hall, snarling up the (already) diverted and busy streets, where many of the buses are nose to tail.
I don’t drive and use the buses regularly. My journey to ER used to take about 40 mins, nowadays it’s pretty much double that.
I would be more than happy for cars to go through the park and try to clear the other roads for those using public transport who are already facing much longer journeys.

If I didn’t know better i might come to the conclusion that those in charge are happy for the ‘plebs’ to be assisted during the week while we are heading to work…however when it’s our own leisure time this consideration vanishes.

Lets not forget, at the height of road closures at top of Leith (trams, St James development, Broughton St being dug up 3 times in 5 months) they thought it was a great idea (for their own vanity/egos) to close Leith St/Waterloo Place to accommodate some $4it Hollywood movie…The Fast and the Furious!?
They should have tried my journey too and from work. The Dead Slow and Bloody Livid!

hibeg
06-10-2022, 06:00 PM
I live in Liberton and have seen at first hand the tail backs etc caused by closing the park, driving through Niddrie etc
Just open the park on a Saturday and close it on a Sunday.
It used to be that way !
I can’t remember many complaints

tamig
06-10-2022, 09:54 PM

Jeez I never knew that. Is that just this week? And is it open both ways? Queen Charlotte Street being open both ways opens a whole load of opportunities getting to ER from the west - so long as that forced entry on to Bernard Street is also gone as part of the reopening.

hibee_girl
06-10-2022, 10:09 PM
Jeez I never knew that. Is that just this week? And is it open both ways? Queen Charlotte Street being open both ways opens a whole load of opportunities getting to ER from the west - so long as that forced entry on to Bernard Street is also gone as part of the reopening.

Yeah, I noticed on Tuesday night when I was driving past but waited until I was going that way on Wednesday morning to confirm.

It’s open both ways, there are still temp lights for folk crossing but it’s been pretty smooth every time I’ve used it since.

tamig
06-10-2022, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I noticed on Tuesday night when I was driving past but waited until I was going that way on Wednesday morning to confirm.

It’s open both ways, there are still temp lights for folk crossing but it’s been pretty smooth every time I’ve used it since.

Excellent news. Cheers 👍

GreenCastle
07-10-2022, 01:21 PM
Traffic this afternoon tailback from Asda newhaven to the shore!!

Broughton Road to McDonald Road then straight across Leith walk into Brunswick Road was very quiet!

Reminder though you can’t come via Brunswick Road to McDonald Road - they have reversed it temporarily.

Links Gardens is open but was busy from Queen Charlotte Street to Water Street.

Good luck everyone tomorrow !

gbhibby
07-10-2022, 01:39 PM
Traffic this afternoon tailback from Asda newhaven to the shore!!

Broughton Road to McDonald Road then straight across Leith walk into Brunswick Road was very quiet!

Reminder though you can’t come via Brunswick Road to McDonald Road - they have reversed it temporarily.

Links Gardens is open but was busy from Queen Charlotte Street to Water Street.

Good luck everyone tomorrow !
Just leaving now for the game backpack full of supplies.

Since452
07-10-2022, 01:59 PM
Sounds like travel from Fife is going to be a nightmare tomorrow

gbhibby
07-10-2022, 03:11 PM
Just leaving now for the game backpack full of supplies.
Base camp still to be reached sun has just broken through the clouds,been offered a sherpa but decided to carry my own backpack.

bingo70
07-10-2022, 03:14 PM

Probably better getting the train?

Since452
07-10-2022, 03:27 PM
Probably better getting the train?

I would but strikes have obliterated the service

RIP
07-10-2022, 03:29 PM

I travel regularly from Perth but never park near the ground as to do so would entail getting caught up on the way home.

I come in via Queensferry Road, New Town, East Claremont St, Bonnington, Commercial St, then park in the new housing scheme off Salamander St. About an hour from my hoose.

Walk across the Links, up ER, St Clair. Home in reverse.

GreenGray
07-10-2022, 03:29 PM

Ingilston tram park and ride I would say

Since452
07-10-2022, 03:30 PM
I travel regularly from Perth but never park near the ground as to do so would entail getting caught up on the way home.

I come in via Queensferry Road, New Town, East Claremont St, Bonnington, Commercial St, then park in the new housing scheme off Salamander St. About an hour from my hoose.

Decent shout mate I'll give it a go

GreenCastle
07-10-2022, 03:50 PM

You would save time and petrol money parking closer to East Claremont Street / Bellevue Road and walking. Also quicker to get away after as you go past Inverleith / east Fettes avenue and get back to Queensferry Road quicker.

RIP
07-10-2022, 09:01 PM
You would save time and petrol money parking closer to East Claremont Street / Bellevue Road and walking. Also quicker to get away after as you go past Inverleith / east Fettes avenue and get back to Queensferry Road quicker.

Cheers for that. All suggestions gratefully received. I have a soft spot for the Links with 4 generations of my family having lived in Leith. My wife’s business is in Mitchell Street.

But I’ll certainly save time doing as you suggest

tamig
07-10-2022, 09:34 PM

You could save yourself a chunk of time by avoiding Commercial Street by using Queen Charlotte Street now its reopened.

CentreLine
08-10-2022, 12:21 PM
When I was on my way in to the game the buses were being diverted away from Thw Mound. No idea what was going on or fir how long but buses coming in from the
Southside were being diverted through the meadows and Lothian road. The 35 was still doing the High Street.

Musselbound
08-10-2022, 12:51 PM
The Mound was closed due to a fire at the Wash Bar. I don't know if that's still the case.

Victor
08-10-2022, 01:11 PM
The Mound was closed due to a fire at the Wash Bar. I don't know if that's still the case.

Mound is now open, but massive congestion in the Park at Holyrood roundabout, in both directions. Will affect anyone travelling from the south to Easter Road.

green day
08-10-2022, 01:23 PM
Mound is now open, but massive congestion in the Park at Holyrood roundabout, in both directions. Will affect anyone travelling from the south to Easter Road.

Pleasance is shut around St Leonard's, so the main rd in Newington is the diversion.

It's rammed.......

Victor
08-10-2022, 01:29 PM
Pleasance is shut around St Leonard's, so the main rd in Newington is the diversion.

It's rammed.......

Any idea why it is shut and if it will reopen soon? As usual nothing appearing on the traffic Scotland site.

Jones28
08-10-2022, 02:00 PM
I know it’s not much use to anyone now but Ingleston park and ride is somewhere I’ve used for getting in to the town. I know it’s still a fair walk from st Andrew square but it’s better for your physical and mental health than sitting in traffic.

green day
08-10-2022, 05:03 PM
Any idea why it is shut and if it will reopen soon? As usual nothing appearing on the traffic Scotland site.

Might have been an accident, looks open now.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2022, 09:07 AM
Bumping this for Saturday.

There is currently temporary traffic lights on Sir Harry Lauder Road that are in place for the next 3 weeks. They don't seem to have been set correctly as they were only allowing about 3 or 4 cars through on each green light. They are only 2 way so really shouldn't cause too much disruption but the traffic this morning was farcical. I left home (Newcraighall) at 7.10 and arrived at work (Broughton Road) at 9.15. My mate who stays at Wallyford left home at 8.30 and still isn't in yet, he's reckoning he'll be about 3 hours by the time he makes it. The congestion was causing issues elsewhere as people were trying to avoid it. Willowbrae, Duddingston, Mountcastle, Northfield, Craigentinny, Moira Terrace, Inchview Terrace etc were all (according to my colleagues at any rate) heavy traffic as well if not quite as bad as the main problem. Remember Leith Walk is closed to traffic for large section again, particularly at the top.

I'd be leaving plenty time on Saturday if you have to go nearby any of these routes.

Victor
26-10-2022, 10:40 AM

There is currently temporary traffic lights on Sir Harry Lauder Road that are in place for the next 3 weeks. They don't seem to have been set correctly as they were only allowing about 3 or 4 cars through on each green light. They are only 2 way so really shouldn't cause too much disruption but the traffic this morning was farcical. I left home (Newcraighall) at 7.10 and arrived at work (Broughton Road) at 9.15. My mate who stays at Wallyford left home at 8.30 and still isn't in yet, he's reckoning he'll be about 3 hours by the time he makes it. The congestion was causing issues elsewhere as people were trying to avoid it. Willowbrae, Duddingston, Mountcastle, Northfield, Craigentinny, Moira Terrace, Inchview Terrace etc were all (according to my colleagues at any rate) heavy traffic as well if not quite as bad as the main problem. Remember Leith Walk is closed to traffic for large section again, particularly at the top.

I'd be leaving plenty time on Saturday if you have to go nearby any of these routes.

Thanks for the warning. Seems to be the norm in Edinburgh to place temporary lights on main arterial routes without any thought about the chaos it brings. Recently we had them on Gilmerton Road, now they are on Old Dalkeith Road. I appreciate that some emergencies require such procedures, but there never appears to be any urgency in resolving the problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
26-10-2022, 10:48 AM
Edinburgh is an absolute shambles just now. I never thought it could possibly get any worse but our council have surpassed themselves.

evy
26-10-2022, 10:53 AM
Just saw a post on Facebook that the council have said that Sir Harry Lauder Road will be re-opening today due to vast number of complaints and chaos caused.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Just saw a post on Facebook that the council have said that Sir Harry Lauder Road will be re-opening today due to vast number of complaints and chaos caused.

Hopefully that's accurate.

I think there is a bit of cumulative effect at play as well. Mountcastle Drive is closed one way for resurfacing and there's ongoing roadworks at Northfield Broadway as well so combine that with temp lights at HLR and you just have a nightmare scenario at that end of town.

KWJ
26-10-2022, 11:03 AM
Not sure what's happening at Leith Street but I'm happy the buses (well, the 25) are going round Calton Hill again. Makes it much quicker to get to Easter Road from Princes St and West.

bingo70
26-10-2022, 11:05 AM
Not sure what's happening at Leith Street but I'm happy the buses (well, the 25) are going round Calton Hill again. Makes it much quicker to get to Easter Road from Princes St and West.

I think leith street and Elm Row is closed for a while again now and busses are being diverted to Easter road. I don’t use peasant wagons myself so not sure if that’s accurate or not but if it is then things could be a bit untidy for anyone driving that way.

GreenCastle
26-10-2022, 11:12 AM
You can’t get onto London Road now from Leith Walk or London Road to the playhouse to Omni as they have shut the junction!

Not sure how long this closure is planned but the diversion takes you to Waterloo place and down past St James Quarter.

Diclonius
26-10-2022, 11:50 AM
What's the timeline on the trams moving past St Andrew Square?

60yearahibby
26-10-2022, 11:52 AM
What's the timeline on the trams moving past St Andrew Square?

Some time between April and May 2023.

stuart-farquhar
26-10-2022, 11:57 AM
Some time between April and May 2023.

January. But for testing only till Spring.

hibeg
26-10-2022, 12:15 PM
Did Harry Lauder Road reopen ??

ACLeith
26-10-2022, 01:30 PM

My son has told me the lights are still there but more cars being allowed through each time. Time will tell if it makes much difference.

In a separate area there are lights along the front of Leith Links. Been in place for 48 hours and no work started yet. Also, plenty room for most traffic to still get passed side by side

HendoDelivered
26-10-2022, 01:35 PM
Edinburgh is an absolute shambles just now. I never thought it could possibly get any worse but our council have surpassed themselves.

Surely has to be one of the worst places to drive in the UK atm.

Since90+2
26-10-2022, 01:49 PM
Surely has to be one of the worst places to drive in the UK atm.

Has been for years.

hibee_girl
26-10-2022, 01:51 PM
Traffic was really bad on St Clair Street this morning, backed up all the way from Tamsons to half way up St Clair Street. Was expecting Easter Road to be a nightmare but sailed down it no problem.

It’ll be a different story tomorrow no doubt :greengrin

Rumble de Thump
26-10-2022, 02:04 PM
I can't keep track of all this. Trams on Leith Walk and now sailing on Easter Road. Chaos.

.Sean.
26-10-2022, 02:11 PM

I'd be leaving plenty time on Saturday if you have to go nearby any of these routes.I left work at Haddington yesterday and got back home to my fiat at Newhaven at the back of 7. Snailed along past the jewel bit for about half hour and got to the crossroads at the range and I literally never moved in 20 mins. Had no idea where the lights were so took a left and went Milton Road - Duddingston xroads- London Road - Easter Road - Great Junction St. It was an absolute nightmare on Milton Road but probably not any slower than had I started and went Seafield by the looks of Twitter.

This morning on my way to work I missed it all as was going the opposite way to the traffic, bar sitting at the temp lights for a few minutes. The traffic heading up to Harry Lauder junction was however tailed back to the junction at the range, and barely moving. This was at half six! Think I’m going to work on a bit tonight as I’d rather than that sit in traffic for hours

Green Badger
26-10-2022, 02:51 PM

Scottish Power say it is in unlikely lights will be away until tomorrow, so expect it to be busy again tonight.

Antifa Hibs
26-10-2022, 02:55 PM
When moaning about traffic a good way of dealing about it is a change in mindset. Instead of moaning about traffic quickly remind yourself that your car, like those behind you or in front of you, is the traffic. And take public transport if it's an option. Some of the "beat the traffic brigade" might be shocked to find out a game of football usually lasts around 94 minutes and not infact 81 minutes ;)

Regarding the council, I'm not there biggest fan but not sure what they can do with regards to how much more cars are on the roads these days in a growing dense compact city like Edinburgh.

They along with the Holyrood should be working with Hibs, Hearts and SRU offering free transport for all ticket holders for those in the Lothians. Aberdeen FC and First offer this for buses so surely we could. However I won't home my breathe.

Since90+2
26-10-2022, 07:21 PM
When moaning about traffic a good way of dealing about it is a change in mindset. Instead of moaning about traffic quickly remind yourself that your car, like those behind you or in front of you, is the traffic. And take public transport if it's an option. Some of the "beat the traffic brigade" might be shocked to find out a game of football usually lasts around 94 minutes and not infact 81 minutes ;)

Regarding the council, I'm not there biggest fan but not sure what they can do with regards to how much more cars are on the roads these days in a growing dense compact city like Edinburgh.

They along with the Holyrood should be working with Hibs, Hearts and SRU offering free transport for all ticket holders for those in the Lothians. Aberdeen FC and First offer this for buses so surely we could. However I won't home my breathe.

Edinburgh isn't actually that densely populated, not by UK standards anyway, it's not even in the top 10 towns or cities in the UK by population density.

Posh Swanny
26-10-2022, 07:55 PM
I left work at Haddington yesterday and got back home to my fiat at Newhaven at the back of 7. Snailed along past the jewel bit for about half hour and got to the crossroads at the range and I literally never moved in 20 mins. Had no idea where the lights were so took a left and went Milton Road - Duddingston xroads- London Road - Easter Road - Great Junction St. It was an absolute nightmare on Milton Road but probably not any slower than had I started and went Seafield by the looks of Twitter.

This morning on my way to work I missed it all as was going the opposite way to the traffic, bar sitting at the temp lights for a few minutes. The traffic heading up to Harry Lauder junction was however tailed back to the junction at the range, and barely moving. This was at half six! Think I’m going to work on a bit tonight as I’d rather than that sit in traffic for hours

Took me about 80 minutes from Pencaitland to Lothian Road, leaving at 7.30 this morning. A1 traffic was back to Newcraighall at that time and it was absolutely rammed going through Niddrie as well.

Looks like the lights are being removed for now because of the chaos but could be back in time for Saturday's game. Add in the train strikes and it should be a fun afternoon on the roads out east!

Jamesie
27-10-2022, 06:26 AM
Edinburgh isn't actually that densely populated, not by UK standards anyway, it's not even in the top 10 towns or cities in the UK by population density.

I know that the Leith Walk area has, historically, been the most densely populated area in Scotland - a statistic I was quite surprised by to be honest.

Fuzzywuzzy
27-10-2022, 06:31 AM
After spending a bit of time going round and circles (extremely enraged much to the laughter of my kid) I ended up having to go back up Leith walk after doing a U-turn on pilrig street and up going back to McDonald road and along Brunswick. Bonus was I got parked right outside the ff

Since90+2
27-10-2022, 06:36 AM
I know that the Leith Walk area has, historically, been the most densely populated area in Scotland - a statistic I was quite surprised by to be honest.

It is indeed. The city as a whole though, not so much.

Jack
27-10-2022, 06:47 AM
Anyone planning on getting a bus this weekend and probably the next game too should read this.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/live-travel-info/service-update/?alert_id=3a8eb3b24da1ceb9eb8c7adbcea2915c

Greenbeard
27-10-2022, 08:47 AM

Nether me. The hole mess is a thing. Seemed like the traffic in the Edinburgh of whole in direction any was crawling last night.

.Sean.
27-10-2022, 08:51 AM
Last night was a wee bit better - was home about half an hour later than usual, and the lights weren’t there this morning, so no traffic coming in to the city.

macca70
27-10-2022, 11:42 AM

Saw that but also read that they may have only been removed temporarily due to complaints with plans to reintroduce them for the weekend.

Would be absolute madness to bring them back this saturday.

There's a rail strike so no trains, Hibs at home and Murrayfield a sell out for Scotland v Australia at 5.30pm. With noone able to get trains, traffic across the city is bad enough on a Saturday afternoon, it's going to be absolute chaos this Saturday.

BS44
27-10-2022, 04:55 PM
You travel in a growing, architecturally-significant city that has zero capacity for new tramac and has been starved of proper transport infrastructure investment.

In future your car journey times are only ever going to go in one direction I'm afraid. The best way to mitigation isn't rat runs - it's a good yoga book.

Posh Swanny
29-10-2022, 09:57 AM
Anyone been down Sir Harry Lauder Road yet today? Just wondered if the temporary lights are back in place? Hoping they wait till tonight/tomorrow!

Eaststand
29-10-2022, 10:08 AM
Anyone been down Sir Harry Lauder Road yet today? Just wondered if the temporary lights are back in place? Hoping they wait till tonight/tomorrow!

I just passed there about 20 mins ago and traffic was moving fine, no temp lights 👍

GGTTH

Posh Swanny
29-10-2022, 10:12 AM
I just passed there about 20 mins ago and traffic was moving fine, no temp lights 👍

GGTTH

Perfect, thanks!

chippy
29-10-2022, 10:28 AM
You travel in a growing, architecturally-significant city that has zero capacity for new tramac and has been starved of proper transport infrastructure investment.

In future your car journey times are only ever going to go in one direction I'm afraid. The best way to mitigation isn't rat runs - it's a good yoga book.

Yet we have several old or under used railway tracks that could be used for tram/ trains/ cycle ways for travel across the city. Porty- ER- dunno where it ends. Porty- Morningside- Haymarket, Corstorphine - Haymarket , Newhaven- Haymarket ( tbf this last one is in the plans for the tram)

SteveHFC
29-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Everyone going today should avoid Sheriffhall. Traffic is a nightmare.

Pretty Boy
29-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Everyone going today should avoid Sheriffhall. Traffic is a nightmare.

Really heavy up around Fort Kinnaird, always the same on payday weekend and the temp lights at The Wisp won't be helping.

Doesn't help when erseholes ignore yellow boxes on the road and clog up junctions to save 3 seconds.

silverhibee
29-10-2022, 01:25 PM
Really heavy up around Fort Kinnaird, always the same on payday weekend and the temp lights at The Wisp won't be helping.

Doesn't help when erseholes ignore yellow boxes on the road and clog up junctions to save 3 seconds.

You also have rugby fans coming into the city as well which won’t help, I’m 2 minutes away from Murrayfield and the streets are jam packed already.

Tambo
29-10-2022, 06:45 PM
Wow what a mess that looks.

My number 43 bus running very late but back at south queensferry.

Moulin Yarns
16-11-2022, 02:29 PM
Arrived at the Holiday Inn express at ocean Terminal and got the 16 bus up town. Then walked up north Bridge. Is there any part of the city that isn't being dug up?

How do the buses go back down Leith walk?

Queen's Hall to the hotel is going to be fun!

tamig
16-11-2022, 02:31 PM
Arrived at the Holiday Inn express at ocean Terminal and got the 16 bus up town. Then walked up north Bridge. Is there any part of the city that isn't being dug up?

Most are going down ER.

Mon Dieu4
16-11-2022, 02:33 PM

Depends what bus you get, some are going down McDonald Road then down Bonnington and others are going down Easter Road, pretty much changes by the day at the moment, think the plan is to have Leith Walk open in both directions from the foot of the walk to Elm Row next week sometime, can't come quick enough

gbhibby
16-11-2022, 02:45 PM
Depends what bus you get, some are going down McDonald Road then down Bonnington and others are going down Easter Road, pretty much changes by the day at the moment, think the plan is to have Leith Walk open in both directions from the foot of the walk to Elm Row next week sometime, can't come quick enough
It will open then get closed again if previous experience us anything to go by.

Smartie
16-11-2022, 02:53 PM

I live very close to where you're staying and getting anywhere right now is a shambles. The number 22 no longer goes down there, many bus routes have changed either temporarily or permanently and some are part route only, so planning any journey that you can't do on foot is a disaster.

The number 35 will surely be your friend when it comes to getting back later though? Goes past the museum, along then down the Royal Mile, along Easter Road and then over to Ocean Terminal that way, missing out most of the nonsense (with the caveat that it all changes so quickly, I have no idea what the current state of play is with this particular service, and I'm not sure how this one is currently negotiating the bottom of Leith Walk).

hibsbollah
16-11-2022, 03:04 PM
I drove through town for the first time in about a year this morning and I didn’t know what the **** was going on, no access to North Edinburgh through the bridges, so pleasant enough diversion under the crags, thick traffic round Abbeyhill and then back over Calton hill with a hard right down past St James Quarter. Took about 40 minutes to do a trip I have been doing in half the time on my bike.