PDA

View Full Version : Leith Walk becoming one way for traffic..

Pages : 1 [2]

Moulin Yarns
16-11-2022, 02:08 PM
I live very close to where you're staying and getting anywhere right now is a shambles. The number 22 no longer goes down there, many bus routes have changed either temporarily or permanently and some are part route only, so planning any journey that you can't do on foot is a disaster.

The number 35 will surely be your friend when it comes to getting back later though? Goes past the museum, along then down the Royal Mile, along Easter Road and then over to Ocean Terminal that way, missing out most of the nonsense (with the caveat that it all changes so quickly, I have no idea what the current state of play is with this particular service, and I'm not sure how this one is currently negotiating the bottom of Leith Walk).

Aye, either that or the number 7.

Jack
16-11-2022, 02:09 PM
On Monday 5pm ish I was on a 25 then a 16, both went up Leith Walk and I thought all was well with the world.

On the way home, on a 25 going down Easter Road about 8 ish, I saw a 16 going up the way!

As others have said its a bit of a lottery. If you have the Lothian Busses app use it. If you don't then download it and you'll see your options. Maybe!

green day
16-11-2022, 02:21 PM
On Monday 5pm ish I was on a 25 then a 16, both went up Leith Walk and I thought all was well with the world.

On the way home, on a 25 going down Easter Road about 8 ish, I saw a 16 going up the way!

As others have said its a bit of a lottery. If you have the Lothian Busses app use it. If you don't then download it and you'll see your options. Maybe!

Maybe is accurate.

It still says the northbound 5 (after the obvious N Bridge diversion via George St/Princes St) goes down Leith St, in fact it still shows times for that bus stopping outside the St J Quarter this afternoon...............when it of diverts along Waterloo Pl :greengrin

Must be a bit of a struggle for non-locals right enough !!

Smartie
16-11-2022, 02:46 PM

The app is generally great but it does have it's weaknesses.

Main one for me is the "part route" bit - you identify a suitable bus, get to that bus stop and when it arrives it's not going all the way to your destination, and you then have to scurry to another stop to take an alternative route.

It would be fine if it was just one road or stretch of road but we seem to have taken out so many important places at the one time that it's pot luck if you get somewhere on time or not.

You add 15 minutes, then 30 minutes to your journey time and then still struggle with the most basic of routes, ones you think you know.

Cycling and walking are the answer, really.

A walk home, down the hill from town is actually a pleasure most of the time. Some cracking wee paths to take and green areas to walk through in addition to the pavements and main routes.

Bobby's Cinema
16-11-2022, 03:10 PM
The app is generally great but it does have it's weaknesses.

Main one for me is the "part route" bit - you identify a suitable bus, get to that bus stop and when it arrives it's not going all the way to your destination, and you then have to scurry to another stop to take an alternative route.

It would be fine if it was just one road or stretch of road but we seem to have taken out so many important places at the one time that it's pot luck if you get somewhere on time or not.

You add 15 minutes, then 30 minutes to your journey time and then still struggle with the most basic of routes, ones you think you know.

Cycling and walking are the answer, really.

A walk home, down the hill from town is actually a pleasure most of the time. Some cracking wee paths to take and green areas to walk through in addition to the pavements and main routes.
Happened to me in Dalkeith heading up town on Sunday. The bus was shown as due on the map and next minute shown as going through Gilmerton before disappearing. Ended up driving to Newington to jump on a bus signed for Murrayfield which took an unreal diversion along Queensferry Rd > Murrayfield Rd. Got the bus up on Monday AM to pick up the car before 0830 and the same thing happened bus never showed. So walked down the high street to another bus stop thinking they weren't coming that way and the bus drove past me!!

Normally very reliable tbh taking it as a one off. And quite incredible they'd arrange Scotland New Zealand on that particular Sunday.

GreenCastle
16-11-2022, 03:17 PM
Is the London Road / Leith Walk junction back open?

I know it was mentioned on here before but the plan is that no traffic can turn left from Elm Row to London Road but it has to go past Omni and turn right on way back ? Sounds a shambles ?!

Rick Rude
16-11-2022, 03:56 PM
Is the London Road / Leith Walk junction back open?

I know it was mentioned on here before but the plan is that no traffic can turn left from Elm Row to London Road but it has to go past Omni and turn right on way back ? Sounds a shambles ?!

Yeah that's exactly how it's now set up. Think it's cause they've moved the crossing from part way along London road to right at the junction and pedestrians cross whilst the traffic going up Leith walk are on go. Seems to me like its going to end up with a lot of traffic queued back to make the right turn instead.

Ged
19-11-2022, 11:44 AM
Are the roadworks between York Place and Leith Walk still expected to he cleared by the end of this month? I heard that date mentioned a while ago but don't know if it's slipped.

JohnM1875
19-11-2022, 11:47 AM
Are the roadworks between York Place and Leith Walk still expected to he cleared by the end of this month? I heard that date mentioned a while ago but don't know if it's slipped.

Could be what you're after here?

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2022/11/leith-walk-diversions/