PDA

View Full Version : Murrayfield for SC Semi-Final

Daydreamer
21-02-2020, 11:05 AM
Just realised that the Scottish Cup Semi-Finals are scheduled for the weekend after the Quarter Finals of the Europa league. If Celtic and The rangers were to get through this round and the next round they would have to play on the Thursday night before the Scottish Cup semi-final dates if they were to get there. Be it they were to avoid each other in the SC semi-final draw (more than likely) and if we get through against ICT bothe semi-finals would have to go ahead on the Sunday. All ifs and buts but this happened with the LC semi-finals when Hearts played Celtic in one the Sunday games at Murrayfield. Would really be great to play one of them there.

scoopyboy
21-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Just realised that the Scottish Cup Semi-Finals are scheduled for the weekend after the Quarter Finals of the Europa league. If Celtic and The rangers were to get through this round and the next round they would have to play on the Thursday night before the Scottish Cup semi-final dates if they were to get there. Be it they were to avoid each other in the SC semi-final draw (more than likely) and if we get through against ICT bothe semi-finals would have to go ahead on the Sunday. All ifs and buts but this happened with the LC semi-finals when Hearts played Celtic in one the Sunday games at Murrayfield. Would really be great to play one of them there.

I would guess that there is very little chance of both of them being in the quarters.

However as the draw will be made next weekend we might find no dates are allocated right away.

Or they might allocate dates and state they are liable to change

Carheenlea
21-02-2020, 11:08 AM
I’ve no appetite for football being played at Murrayfield while Scottish football has its own national stadium, despite its flaws.

Bobby's Cinema
21-02-2020, 11:12 AM
I hope those running the game are thinking as far ahead as you :aok:
Would be interesting to see how many tickets we'd sell for Murrayfield

mcohibs
21-02-2020, 11:54 AM
I’ve no appetite for football being played at Murrayfield while Scottish football has its own national stadium, despite its flaws.

If we were to play Hearts in a cup final you'd be opposed to us playing it in a substantially better venue in our own capital city with an extra 16k in attendance? I think it would be brilliant.

I would understand the tradionalists views on Hampden more if it was some sort of awe-inspiring stadium but the place is a dump. We've had our day there - wouldn't miss it in the slightest if it were to go

danhibees1875
21-02-2020, 11:56 AM

But if both games have to be played on the Sunday what's the other solution? :dunno:

Onceinawhile
21-02-2020, 11:59 AM
If we were to play Hearts in a cup final you'd be opposed to us playing it in a substantially better venue in our own capital city with an extra 16k in attendance? I think it would be brilliant.

I would understand the tradionalists views on Hampden more if it was some sort of awe-inspiring stadium but the place is a dump. We've had our day there - wouldn't miss it in the slightest if it were to go

You're talking about Murrayfield as if it's an awe-inspiring stadium? It has terrible sightlines for football. Talk about being miles away from the action when you're behind the goals at Hampden, it's not too dissimilar at Murrayfield because the pitch is so short compared to a Rugby pitch and one side has a running track down the length of it.

There's every chance if it happens that one of rangers or celtic will play wednesday, saturday rather than Thursday, Sunday. But this will be moot as Rangers are getting papped oot.

hibby rae
21-02-2020, 12:12 PM
You're talking about Murrayfield as if it's an awe-inspiring stadium? It has terrible sightlines for football. Talk about being miles away from the action when you're behind the goals at Hampden, it's not too dissimilar at Murrayfield because the pitch is so short compared to a Rugby pitch and one side has a running track down the length of it.

There's every chance if it happens that one of rangers or celtic will play wednesday, saturday rather than Thursday, Sunday. But this will be moot as Rangers are getting papped oot.

Although Murrayfield is in a better location in comparison to Hampden, providing better opportunities for things to do before the game and it has a far better transport infrastructure too.

mcohibs
21-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Agree that Hampden and Murrayfield are probably even in terms of viewpoint issues for football. However I'm yet to hear an argument where there's more advantages to Hibs supporters at Hampden rather than Murrayfield, were it to be an option.

Easier travel, higher capacity, better facilities and a stadium in our own capital city.

CloudSquall
21-02-2020, 12:35 PM
Murrayfield will always have a Hearts feel about it for me, if a stadium could represent a cardigan wearing, range rover driving, rugby loving, secret Tory voting, union loving, Hearts supporting bank manager Murrayfield would be it.

DH1875
21-02-2020, 12:35 PM
But if both games have to be played on the Sunday what's the other solution? :dunno:

Why would both games be on the Sunday though? Rangers are playing next week in Europe, on a Wednesday night. If they get that far, one of them plays the Wednesday and they then play the Saturday.

Springbank
21-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Agree with all of this.

Went to watch Napoli play Liverpool at Murrayfield in the summer and you are miles from the action at Murrayfield, for both ends behind the goals, and in the big touchline stand (which has a full running track between the fans and the pitch).

Hampden every day of the week for me:aok:

Keith_M
21-02-2020, 12:42 PM
If the Ugly Sisters continue to do well in Europe, there's going to be a lot of games that need to be rescheduled.

There was even discussions of having to move the date for the split, if any of their games were rescheduled due to bad weather.

-----------

As far as the Hampden v Murrayfield debate goes:

My view is that we don't actually have any national stadium that I'm particularly fond of. Hampden was rebuilt on the cheap, and it really shows. Murrayfield is ideal for rugby but wasn't designed for football.

If they ever got round to rebuilding the south side of Celtc Park (including the removal of the pillars), that would be a decent stadium..... but I wouldn't want to see them get yet more money and have the advantage of playing every cup final at their own ground. They already have enough advantages in both regards as it is.

Daydreamer
21-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Why would both games be on the Sunday though? Rangers are playing next week in Europe, on a Wednesday night. If they get that far, one of them plays the Wednesday and they then play the Saturday.

But they would play the second leg on the Thursday after the semi-final!!!

Onceinawhile
21-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Although Murrayfield is in a better location in comparison to Hampden, providing better opportunities for things to do before the game and it has a far better transport infrastructure too.

For us.

One train station nearby + tram stops + buses.

Hampden has two train stations + buses.

As for things to do before the game, genuine question - what is there to do around Murrayfield? Go to the skate park? Sainsbury's?

Daydreamer
21-02-2020, 12:48 PM
The reason Rangers are playing Wednesday next week is because Porto are at home on the Thursday as well and UEFA didnt want a repeat of the trouble that happened in the group stages when Wolves and PSV were in Porto at the same time. Braga is'nt far from Porto.

Diclonius
21-02-2020, 12:49 PM
I've never been to Murrayfield and would be very happy to play one of the OF there (or the other team) in a SF.

Even if they're playing each other, that's still four sets of fans in Glasgow in one day.

DH1875
21-02-2020, 12:53 PM
But they would play the second leg on the Thursday after the semi-final!!!

And, what would that matter? Pretty sure loads of teams have played on a Saturday and then the following Thursday in Europe.

mcohibs
21-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Agree with all of this.

Went to watch Napoli play Liverpool at Murrayfield in the summer and you are miles from the action at Murrayfield, for both ends behind the goals, and in the big touchline stand (which has a full running track between the fans and the pitch).

Hampden every day of the week for me:aok:

Why Hampden every day of the week though? Genuine question, not trying to be obtuse. Hampden and Murrayfield are both even in terms of pitch view but Murrayfield has a bigger capacity and is closer for Hibs fans.

Is it the tradition of Hampden that is appealing?

DH1875
21-02-2020, 12:55 PM
The reason Rangers are playing Wednesday next week is because Porto are at home on the Thursday as well and UEFA didnt want a repeat of the trouble that happened in the group stages when Wolves and PSV were in Porto at the same time. Braga is'nt far from Porto.

And if both rangers and celtic get that far and are drawn at home there's every chance one could be the the Wednesday.

Daydreamer
21-02-2020, 12:59 PM
And, what would that matter? Pretty sure loads of teams have played on a Saturday and then the following Thursday in Europe.

You're missing the point there. It means that they play before and after on the Thursday before their SC semi if they were to get through.

TimeForHeroes16
21-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Murrayfield will always have a Hearts feel about it for me, if a stadium could represent a cardigan wearing, range rover driving, rugby loving, secret Tory voting, union loving, Hearts supporting bank manager Murrayfield would be it.

Can they afford range rovers?

HibeeHibernian4
21-02-2020, 01:00 PM
Why Hampden every day of the week though? Genuine question, not trying to be obtuse. Hampden and Murrayfield are both even in terms of pitch view but Murrayfield has a bigger capacity and is closer for Hibs fans.

Is it the tradition of Hampden that is appealing?

Yes, it is that appealing.

wookie70
21-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Play one of the Euro games on a Wednesday

Keith_M
21-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Yes, it is that appealing.

I completely understand and respect your point of view but it's not shared by everybody.

For me, it's only the tradition of Hampden, what it represents in a historical sense than anything about the actual stadium. There are also obviously the memories of previous visits that add to that.

I would have been happy with the proposal made before it was rebuilt to sell the ground and build a new national stadium to be proud of outside the city.

Keith_M
21-02-2020, 01:10 PM
This was part of the relocation plans, from 1992.

The original idea was to incorporate a running track but I think they came up with an alternative where the seats weren't so far from the pitch

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/2572769.main_image.jpg?strip=all

Daydreamer
21-02-2020, 01:14 PM

UEFA won't change games for domestic fixtures. There are Champion League fixtures on the Tuesday and Wednesday so they would have to kick off at 5 in the Europa fixture. A europa league Celtic or Rangers game if they were at home to kick off at 5 in Glasgow. Nah.

Paisley Hibby
21-02-2020, 01:17 PM

You talk about Murrayfield being terrible for football with awful sightlines and seats miles away from the pitch. I'd say the East Stand and West Stand at Hampden are even worse. And if we were to play Celtic in the semi at Murrayfield, at least we wouldn't be obliged to accept that their fans are entitled to their "traditional end" of the stadium.

Onceinawhile
21-02-2020, 01:21 PM
You talk about Murrayfield being terrible for football with awful sightlines and seats miles away from the pitch. Have you ever been in either the East Stand or West Stand at Hampden?

Yes. That was my point. Someone was saying it was a better option than Hampden - presumably due to the perceived awfulness of the sightline there. I was merely pointing out that they aren't so hot at Murrayfield either.

FWIW, I've sat in every area at Hampden (apart from North Upper) and haven't struggled with the view. My favourite are being the bit behind the corner flags. But that's just me and my eyesight is still pretty good.

Antifa Hibs
21-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Murrayfields never happening. The only ones keep banging on about are deluded lazy Hibs and Hertz fans. Hampden's the national stadium for football and rightly so. Get over it.

PS was working the day of the Six nations v England last week. Gridlock all around the stadium, took 35 minutes to clear Western approach road, tram stop looked closed (red tape all over the stairways) and thousands by-passing the massive ques at Haymarket to get to Waverley instead. Superb infrastructure :rolleyes:

wookie70
21-02-2020, 01:24 PM
UEFA won't change games for domestic fixtures. There are Champion League fixtures on the Tuesday and Wednesday so they would have to kick off at 5 in the Europa fixture. A europa league Celtic or Rangers game if they were at home to kick off at 5 in Glasgow. Nah.would they both be at home in the first leg.

danhibees1875
21-02-2020, 01:25 PM

I didn't realise that was an option - assumed Europa games were always a Thursday.

That makes sense then if possible and agreed with UEFA.

Antifa Hibs
Yes. That was my point. Someone was saying it was a better option than Hampden - presumably due to the perceived awfulness of the sightline there. I was merely pointing out that they aren't so hot at Murrayfield either.

FWIW, I've sat in every area at Hampden (apart from North Upper) and haven't struggled with the view. My favourite are being the bit behind the corner flags. But that's just me and my eyesight is still pretty good.

Likewise. Anywhere in the north and south stand is fine. Seats at the corner flags are fine. The only terrible views are the bottom half of the 3 blocks directly behind the goal.

Paisley Hibby
Murrayfields never happening. The only ones keep banging on about are deluded lazy Hibs and Hertz fans. Hampden's the national stadium for football and rightly so. Get over it.

PS was working the day of the Six nations v England last week. Gridlock all around the stadium, took 35 minutes to clear Western approach road, tram stop looked closed (red tape all over the stairways) and thousands by-passing the massive ques at Haymarket to get to Waverley instead. Superb infrastructure :rolleyes:
They said it wasn't happening last year as well.

Bristolhibby
21-02-2020, 01:29 PM

Haha!

hibby rae
21-02-2020, 01:52 PM
For us.

Hampden has two tram stops + buses.

As for things to do before the game, genuine question - what is there to do around Murrayfield? Go to the skate park? Sainsbury's?

Murrayfield is also closer to the city centre, with good bus routes, and so it is easier to get to on foot.

DH1875
21-02-2020, 01:52 PM
I didn't realise that was an option - assumed Europa games were always a Thursday.

That makes sense then if possible and agreed with UEFA.

Rangers are playing Braga on Wednesday because Porto are at home on the Thursday (and they aren't even from the same city). If both drawn at home, no reason one wouldn't be the Wednesday.
As for early kick offs. I'm pretty sure celtic have been the early kick off before.

davhibby
21-02-2020, 01:58 PM
Rangers are playing Braga on Wednesday because Porto are at home on the Thursday (and they aren't even from the same city). If both drawn at home, no reason one wouldn't be the Wednesday.
As for early kick offs. I'm pretty sure celtic have been the early kick off before.

It’s not to do with being in the same city. There’s a specific radius that Uefa don’t like games being played in on the same night when possible.

DH1875
21-02-2020, 02:26 PM
It’s not to do with being in the same city. There’s a specific radius that Uefa don’t like games being played in on the same night when possible.

So what your saying is; if rangers and celtic get that far and are both drawn at home, there's a chance one of them could play on a Wednesday.

lord bunberry
21-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Totally agree apart from the Range Rover part. Most of them drive the normal Rover, with the bowling club committee members driving the much coveted Rover 75.

mcohibs
21-02-2020, 02:34 PM

I'd suggested it was a better option than Hampden but didn't once mention the sightline as I'm well aware Murrayfield has its flaws in that sense.

My point was that there are more advantages for Hibs fans in Murrayfield being used for cup semis and finals than Hampden. Less travel, more tickets available, drink in same Edinburgh boozers then tram/ bus/ walk to game.

Despite this, many people would rather Hampden was used, the main reason seemingly is 'that's the way its always been'. Interesting that the idea of tradition outweighs a number of Hampden's disadvantages for some people. I personally don't attach that much significance to the stadium's traditions/ history, certainly not enough to prefer it over an option where an all round better matchday experience would be available - which I think its what Murrayfield would give.

Oscar T Grouch
21-02-2020, 02:42 PM
SFA have just spent millions purchasing Hampden, there will never be a national semi final or final at Murrayfield unless Hampden is closed for refurbishment. It's a pipe dream to think otherwise.

davhibby
21-02-2020, 02:43 PM
So what your saying is; if rangers and celtic get that far and are both drawn at home, there's a chance one of them could play on a Wednesday.

Possible but more likely they’d switch one of the ties

Onceinawhile
21-02-2020, 02:46 PM
I'd suggested it was a better option than Hampden but didn't once mention the sightline as I'm well aware Murrayfield has its flaws in that sense.

My point was that there are more advantages for Hibs fans in Murrayfield being used for cup semis and finals than Hampden. Less travel, more tickets available, drink in same Edinburgh boozers then tram/ bus/ walk to game.

Despite this, many people would rather Hampden was used, the main reason seemingly is 'that's the way its always been'. Interesting that the idea of tradition outweighs a number of Hampden's disadvantages for some people. I personally don't attach that much significance to the stadium's traditions/ history, certainly not enough to prefer it over an option where an all round better matchday experience would be available - which I think its what Murrayfield would give.

Fair enough, assuming you live in Edinburgh I can see where you are coming from.

But having the same Boozer available doesn't make much of a difference for me (the hibs club to Murrayfield is a bit of a trek). The travel from Bathgate to Edinburgh/Glasgow isn't too hugely different for me either. Also don't think we would take that many more fans if there was a tie at Murrayfield than Hampden. Couple thousand extra at most imo.

DH1875
21-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Not forgetting a day out to Hampden is exactly that, a day out and is treated as such by a large section of our support. A day trip to murryfield just wouldn't be the same.

Cataplana
21-02-2020, 03:05 PM
If I was John Robertson, I'd be pinning this thread up on the dressing room door (so to speak.) One Scottish Cup in 118 years does not give us the right to be taking anything for granted.

Bristolhibby
21-02-2020, 03:25 PM
If I was John Robertson, I'd be pinning this thread up on the dressing room door (so to speak.) One Scottish Cup in 118 years does not give us the right to be taking anything for granted.

Booo! Inverness who?

J

mcohibs
21-02-2020, 03:37 PM

Can see the Caley players getting interviewed after the game now...

"What do you put that victory down to boys? Embracing the challenge of testing yoursleves against a top flight team? The desire for more silverware after lifting the cup a few years ago?"

"Nah actually, a couple of Hibs fans on an internet forum got excited about the prospect of reaching the next round of the cup. How dare they... the cheek of it. That really gave us an extra spring in our step to go and knock them out."

DavieRoy
21-02-2020, 11:54 PM
They could hold one of the games on a Monday night?

Sounds daft but back in 1995 Hibernian played Celtic at Ibrox on a Friday night in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final.

Between 1999-2001, one of the Semi-Finals was always played at 6.05pm on a Sunday night.

Just because it didn’t happen in the Twitter era, it gets forgotten about. Most things have happened before, it seems we get more outraged today though.

jgl07
22-02-2020, 12:02 AM
For us.

Hampden has two tram stops + buses.

Tram stops at Hampden? Glasgow has no trams.

O'Rourke3
22-02-2020, 12:10 AM
In terms of spectacle, do Rugby fans from all over the rugby playing world complain about Murrayfield? Hampden is poor because the seats are built on the old terrace versus better "stadum" seating. THe view is crap because the height is wrong at the ends. Murrayfield build new terraces where the view is far better. Having recently visited the Bernabau,you are miles from the pitch at the ends and the top deck but becasue it's full,I'm sure the atmosphere is fine. If it were to happen a semi final in Edinburgh against either side of the two cheecks has to be a massive improvement on any semi at Hampden and the 3 hour wait for the polis to let traffic heading to Edinburgh GTFOOD.

jgl07
22-02-2020, 12:28 AM

One match at 12:30 and the other at 16:00?

monktonharp
22-02-2020, 01:49 AM
I like the idea of my auld 4x4 parked in the carpark, back door open, champers and sandwiches before the game. depends on what end we would get at Murrayfield though. the other side, well it has to be tram.

TimeForHeroes16
22-02-2020, 02:04 AM
Certainly wouldn’t be the rangers at Murrayfield, Gerrard would end up at the ice rink on his hole

FilipinoHibs
22-02-2020, 03:00 AM

+Caravan, tank tops, moustaches and Corstorphine bungolow.

Onceinawhile
22-02-2020, 06:58 AM
Tram stops at Hampden? Glasgow has no trams.

Meant to say train stations and have now edited.

Sammy7nil
22-02-2020, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=danhibees1875;6091313]But if both games have to be played on the Sunday what's the solution.

They would play one at Ibrox or Darkhead

danhibees1875
22-02-2020, 08:30 AM
One match at 12:30 and the other at 16:00?

They suggested that once - everyone said they were daft to even consider it. :greengrin

Sounds like it won't be an issue anyway. :aok:

Malthibby
22-02-2020, 11:14 AM

If it's Hampden traditions like the Old firm being guaranteed 'their' own ends or taking 2/3 hours to get home, then nah.
2016 drew a line under the place for me, I'll always love it for that, so I'd be more than happy with Murrayfield, but then I quite like egg-chasing.

Phil MaGlass
23-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Not forgetting a day out to Hampden is exactly that, a day out and is treated as such by a large section of our support. A day trip to murryfield just wouldn't be the same.

I would disagree with that, a dayout at Murrayfield would have a different feeling about it, its in the city but not home. Like goin to Tiny Tiny its a day oot.

chrisski33
23-02-2020, 08:11 AM

All ifs tbh. This situation wont come to head