PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Get European Football Contract

CMurdoch
20-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Rangers unlikely and weird win tonight combined with Celtics draw means Scotland have moved up 2 places to 14th from 16th in the UEFA coefficient and are now sitting firmly in the magic Top 15.

Importantly we have overtaken, by a baw hair, the Czech Republic (who were sitting in 14th) and they have no clubs left in Europe to come back at us.
We have also leap frogged Cyprus who were sitting in 15th and their last club standing, Apoel Nicosia lost 0-3 tonight to Basle so looking like the end of the road for them.
The only other country who could have caught us were Greece and their last team Olympiakos are struggling after losing 0-1 at home tonight to Arsenal.

As a result of all of the above Scotland are looking home and hosed for an extra (5th) European place from season 21/22. This should all but guarantee Hibs a European place every season thereafter (yes I know :wink:) and it is unlikely that Scotland will lose that extra spot again for the forseeable future.

Scottish football clubs and the SPFL are at last back in a respectable place in European football with us 13th best ranked country if Celtic knock out Denmark's Copenhagen next week.

Passports oot to follow the Hibs in Europe from no later than 2021.

Vault Boy
20-02-2020, 10:42 PM
Pretty exciting prospect really. Gives other teams in the league a hell of a lot to play for.

danhibees1875
20-02-2020, 10:48 PM
By that season, if we're still in the top 15, we'll be spread across 3 European competitions. 2 in the CL, 1 in the current Europa League, and 2 in the Europa conference league.

Anything lower and we'll no longer have access to the Europa League - teams would be split between the champions league and the conference.

The 90+2
20-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Is that next season so we get it or the league positions this season? Good work CM, and thanks 👍

CMurdoch
20-02-2020, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=Vault Boy;6090995]Pretty exciting prospect really. Gives other teams in the league a hell of a lot to play for.[/QUOTE

We are 5th best resourced club and financially stable so its looking good for us.
We added good starters in Allan, Doidge and Newell last summer.
If we keep adding at least 3 good starters every summer we should be in very good shape for 2021.
Hope Jack Ross sticks around. His sensible and pragmatic approach is what s required to keep us improving steadily year on year.

CMurdoch
20-02-2020, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=90+2;6090998]Is that next season so we get it or the league positions this season? Good work CM, and thanks ��[/QUOTE

No it's Season 2021/22.
We need to finish 4th this season to get a European place next season or win the cup again :wink:.

20-02-2020, 11:17 PM
By that season, if we're still in the top 15, we'll be spread across 3 European competitions. 2 in the CL, 1 in the current Europa League, and 2 in the Europa conference league.

Anything lower and we'll no longer have access to the Europa League - teams would be split between the champions league and the conference.

So the team that gets the 4th spot will arguably be worse off than the the team that currently gets the 4th spot as they'll be going into what seems like a new Intertoto Cup.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2020, 11:27 PM
We've not got a top 6 contract yet.

But point taken and good info.

Unseen work
20-02-2020, 11:29 PM
Delighted but seems crazy just about half our league will qualify for Europe.

Can only be a good thing however.

CMurdoch
20-02-2020, 11:30 PM
So the team that gets the 4th spot will arguably be worse off than the the team that currently gets the 4th spot as they'll be going into what seems like a new Intertoto Cup.

From 2021/22 season entitlement will be as follows:
Countries between 7th and 15th in the UEFA coefficient will get 2 Champions League places,, 1 Europa League place and 2 UEFA Conference places
Countries 16th to 30th will get 1 Champions League place and 3 UEFA Conference places and zero Europa League places.

hfc rd
20-02-2020, 11:37 PM
How is this new European competition format going to work? Will it be similar to the CL/EL in terms of 1st stage qualifiers, 2nd stage group stages, 3rd stage knockout rounds or something completely different like a league table or just knockout rounds

franck sauzee
21-02-2020, 12:26 AM
How is this new European competition format going to work? Will it be similar to the CL/EL in terms of 1st stage qualifiers, 2nd stage group stages, 3rd stage knockout rounds or something completely different like a league table or just knockout rounds

Can't find information about the number of qualifiers but the groups stages have changed a little bit. Slimmed down from 48 teams to 32 and only the top team progress to the next round. The 8 runners up will play a playoff against the teams that finish 3rd in Champions League groups. The Championship will have that same format.

Sounds like because we are in the top 15 now. One team will be straight into the Champions League group stage, one team will be straight into the Europa League group stage too. Third place will be massive if this is the case

davhibby
21-02-2020, 12:45 AM

Don’t think that’s what it will be like really. It gives us a really good chance of group stage football and there will be teams from all the top leagues in the group stages(how seriously they’ll take it is a different story). Hopefully it will become a good competition where teams from the lesser countries like Scotland will have a chance to play against teams at our level.

davhibby
21-02-2020, 12:47 AM

Same format I believe

FilipinoHibs
21-02-2020, 05:17 AM
Do we have to thank the ugly brothers or have we along with the rest of the league brought their standard up?

Onion
21-02-2020, 05:29 AM
Interesting and a great incentive for Hibs. Only concern going by the way that some clubs are run in Scotland is the usual suspects (and a few nutters) will over-extend themselves to reach the pot of gold.. Sevco will financially dope up to compete in the CL - OF will disappear over the horizon domestically. And Hearts will screw everything and anyone to be there.

wallpaperman
21-02-2020, 06:00 AM
Do we have to thank the ugly brothers or have we along with the rest of the league brought their standard up?

Honest answer, it’s pretty all much down to the uglies.

The co-efficient is based on 5 year rolling results, and I guess our few decent results last season will be a very small positive.

Also, I think that Scottish clubs co-efficient for 5 years ago was really poor (3.00) and this will fall off next season, so reasonable results next season should drag the overall average up - benefitting future years beyond 21/22.

PaulSmith
21-02-2020, 06:15 AM
It will be harder to maintain as you get less points for a win/draw the higher up the coefficient table you go.

wallpaperman
21-02-2020, 06:29 AM
It will be harder to maintain as you get less points for a win/draw the higher up the coefficient table you go.

Kind of. You don’t get less points per win/draw, but the total earned is divided by the number it teams from your country.

So if you add a 5th team and they get pumped out early by a team of Maltese waiters, then you are right, harder to maintain the co-efficient.

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-02-2020, 06:29 AM
Delighted but seems crazy just about half our league will qualify for Europe.

Can only be a good thing however.

Used to be the case. In season 88/89 Hibs finished 5th in a 10 team league and qualified for the UEFA Cup the next season. Going on to beat Videoton and then losing to FC Liege.

danhibees1875
21-02-2020, 07:19 AM

It looks like the conference is going to be significantly larger than the Europa going forward.

The Europa is going to have 2 teams from the top 5 countries, and 1 from the next 10 (20 teams, padded out with CL losers I guess).
Conference is going to have 1 from the top 5, 2 from the next 10, 3 from the next 35 (apart from Liechtenstein for some reason :confused: ), 2 from the next 3, and 1 from lowly San Marino.

Juniper Greens
21-02-2020, 07:24 AM
It looks like the conference is going to be significantly larger than the Europa going forward.

The Europa is going to have 2 teams from the top 5 countries, and 1 from the next 10 (20 teams, padded out with CL losers I guess).
Conference is going to have 1 from the top 5, 2 from the next 10, 3 from the next 35 (apart from Liechtenstein for some reason :confused: ), 2 from the next 3, and 1 from lowly San Marino.

Liechtenstein don't have a national League, as they play in the Swiss system I think. Cup winner (usually FC Vaduz) get in EL. Sure they played Falkirk one season?

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 07:25 AM
Need to qualify for Europe this season. Will boost our budget for next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernian Verse
21-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Liechtenstein don't have a national League, as they play in the Swiss system I think. Cup winner (usually FC Vaduz) get in EL. Sure they played Falkirk one season?

Yep, the only way they could play in the UCL is if they win the Europa League

Greenbeard
21-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Honest answer, it’s pretty all much down to the uglies.

The co-efficient is based on 5 year rolling results, and I guess our few decent results last season will be a very small positive.

Also, I think that Scottish clubs co-efficient for 5 years ago was really poor (3.00) and this will fall off next season, so reasonable results next season should drag the overall average up - benefitting future years beyond 21/22.
Dalai Lama. Support the uglies in Europe so Scotland continue to get a 5th spot. Or delight in them getting pumped by the likes of Progres or yon Gibraltar team. :dunno:

hughio
21-02-2020, 08:54 AM
Dalai Lama. Support the uglies in Europe so Scotland continue to get a 5th spot. Or delight in them getting pumped by the likes of Progres or yon Gibraltar team. :dunno:

It is a Dalai Lama but one I quite enjoy-- I support the uglies in Europe...If they win good for co efficient.

If they lose ha ha.

Win win situation.

:flag:

PH91
21-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Can't find information about the number of qualifiers but the groups stages have changed a little bit. Slimmed down from 48 teams to 32 and only the top team progress to the next round. The 8 runners up will play a playoff against the teams that finish 3rd in Champions League groups. The Championship will have that same format.

Sounds like because we are in the top 15 now. One team will be straight into the Champions League group stage, one team will be straight into the Europa League group stage too. Third place will be massive if this is the case

If true and third goes straight into europa group stage then you are right, that is massive!! A huge incentive. Am I right in saying only the 2 arse cheeks and Hearts have made it to a european group stage before?

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 09:23 AM
If true and third goes straight into europa group stage then you are right, that is massive!! A huge incentive. Am I right in saying only the 2 arse cheeks and Hearts have made it to a european group stage before?

Aberdeen have as well. And they progressed to the knock out round after it as well to play Bayern (I think) under the much maligned Jimmy Calderwood.

Unseen work
21-02-2020, 09:26 AM
If finishing 3rd meant you went straight into group stages how would that work regarding prize money?

Before you would get a certain amount for progressing through each qualifying round, however if everyone is put straight into the group stage would the reward be the same as it is now or would it be significantly cut given you’re going straight into the group stages without the qualifiers?

Hope that makes sense.

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 09:49 AM
If finishing 3rd meant you went straight into group stages how would that work regarding prize money?

Before you would get a certain amount for progressing through each qualifying round, however if everyone is put straight into the group stage would the reward be the same as it is now or would it be significantly cut given you’re going straight into the group stages without the qualifiers?

Hope that makes sense.

The prize money in the group stage is considerably higher. You could maybe make more money by getting there through qualifying but it’s not worth the risk.

SJNB Hibby
21-02-2020, 10:24 AM
This season could be a one off, and our best in donkeys years, but if we could just add 3 more seasons as good as last year, we could end up around 32-33 points, which would have us in the top 10. If we can stop losing to Maltesers, Luxemburgians and Leeks we could easily maintain 5 spots

DH1875
21-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Totally passed me by. What's this new Euro comp all about and is it worth it?

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2020, 10:33 AM
:scarf::scarf:Champions league here we come.:woohoo:

ABZHFC
21-02-2020, 10:39 AM
Have to say, reading about the UEFA Europa Conference League, it makes me excited. If it were to be run this season, we could have been playing teams like Manchester United, Roma, Marseille and Sevilla in the playoff round, but equally you could be playing against very winnable sides. I much prefer it to getting past two sides at best in the Europa League and going no further. We'd have a real chance of seeing group stage football at Easter Road, can only be good for revenues!

ABZHFC
21-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Totally passed me by. What's this new Euro comp all about and is it worth it?

It's basically a means of lessening the number of teams in the Europa League, and ensuring that clubs from smaller nation have a better chance of progressing further in Europe. So the Europa League will go down to 32 teams in the group stage instead of 48, and there will be fewer qualifying rounds for it, meanwhile the vast majority of teams who qualify from the leagues below 15th or so in the coefficient rankings will compete in the UEFA Europa Conference League, but with a sprinkling of quality teams in there still, as below;

6th place from England, Germany, Spain and Italy
5th place from France
3rd and 4th place from Russia, Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, the Netherlands, Greece etc

So think the Europa League, but with more of a chance for Hibs to go further in it

Fergus52
21-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Need to qualify for Europe this season. Will boost our budget for next.

I thought there was absolutely no chance of that happening with the rest of this season being a write off? :na na:

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 11:06 AM
I thought there was absolutely no chance of that happening with the rest of this season being a write off? :na na:

Thankfully I have never written off the season.[emoji6] I have always said we still can turn it around.

HibeeHibernian4
21-02-2020, 11:23 AM
So think the Europa League, but with more of a chance for Hibs to go further in it

Sounds like a glorified Winter-toto Cup.

ABZHFC
21-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a glorified Winter-toto Cup.

A pre-season tournament that had 3 winners? Take the day off, rubbish comparison

dangermouse
21-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Used to be the case. In season 88/89 Hibs finished 5th in a 10 team league and qualified for the UEFA Cup the next season. Going on to beat Videoton and then losing to FC Liege.

Never a penalty in the tie at ER :fuming:

DH1875
21-02-2020, 12:40 PM
6th place from England, Germany, Spain and Italy
5th place from France
3rd and 4th place from Russia, Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, the Netherlands, Greece etc

What's point in that, don't like it. Be better off bringing back the old cup winners cup as opposed to that.

davhibby
21-02-2020, 02:03 PM
3rd place/cup winner wouldn’t even go straight into the europa league groups if we were talking about qualification for next season’s comps. If nothing was changing and we were up to 13th then Celtic would still have 2 qualifying rounds in the CL, 2nd would have 4 and 3rd/cup winners would go into the europa at the 3rd qualifying round. Then the other 2 teams would go in at the 2nd. I’d imagine it will be broadly similar but the last 2 teams go into the qualifiers of the new competition instead. To get direct group stage access to anything you need to be in the top 10

CMurdoch
21-02-2020, 02:30 PM
As we reach towards the end of February Scotland is amazingly the 6th best performing country in European competition this season behind only the wealthy giants of Spain, England, Italy Germany & Portugal. Even more remarkably, Scotland over the last 2 seasons has accumulated more coefficient points with the exception of the previously named 5 plus Holland and France. You are talking about out performing the much lauded Belgians as well as Russia, Austria, Ukraine, Turkey etc.
If Celtic beat Copenhagen next week in Glasgow, Scotland will move into 13th above Denmark and all the other Scandanavian leagues.
Scotland has risen from an embarrassing 26th two seasons ago and we are likely to pass the rapidly falling Ukraine next season to move into 12th from where further progress will be far more difficult.
Lastly, Scotland has moved up 6 places in the ranking this season which is the most iprogress in the top 30 nations where only 2 other countries have moved up more than 2 places.

JeMeSouviens
21-02-2020, 02:48 PM

Nope, this is the access list:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/files/2021-24-uefa-access-list.pdf

As usual with UEFA, it's all about stopping the big clubs breaking away, so the top 4 countries in the rankings will get *4* CL group stage places guaranteed. Rankings 5-6 get 2 places, and 7-10 get 1. There are 6 places for teams coming through the qualifiers (4 for champions, 2 from non-champions) and the previous season's CL & EL winners.

Ronniekirk
21-02-2020, 07:25 PM
Rangers unlikely and weird win tonight combined with Celtics draw means Scotland have moved up 2 places to 14th from 16th in the UEFA coefficient and are now sitting firmly in the magic Top 15.

Importantly we have overtaken, by a baw hair, the Czech Republic (who were sitting in 14th) and they have no clubs left in Europe to come back at us.
We have also leap frogged Cyprus who were sitting in 15th and their last club standing, Apoel Nicosia lost 0-3 tonight to Basle so looking like the end of the road for them.
The only other country who could have caught us were Greece and their last team Olympiakos are struggling after losing 0-1 at home tonight to Arsenal.

As a result of all of the above Scotland are looking home and hosed for an extra (5th) European place from season 21/22. This should all but guarantee Hibs a European place every season thereafter (yes I know :wink:) and it is unlikely that Scotland will lose that extra spot again for the forseeable future.

Scottish football clubs and the SPFL are at last back in a respectable place in European football with us 13th best ranked country if Celtic knock out Denmark's Copenhagen next week.

Passports oot to follow the Hibs in Europe from no later than 2021.

The new American Owner of Dundee United will have set this as a target for them
I think if we recruit well in the summer it should be a given we are aiming for fifth place at worst