PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: RONALD GORDON | GREENEST CLUB IN SCOTLAND

RSS Bot
20-02-2020, 04:50 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10557)

H18 SFR
20-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Is this the 'plan'. 😂 couldn't resist!

Vault Boy
20-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Well done Ron. Great initiative and a point of pride for our wonderful club.

20-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Sets of pedals that slide out from under our seats, hooked up to dynamos to power the floodlights. We get fitter as a byproduct.

Bishop Hibee
20-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Excellent. A progressive 21st century club on and off the field.

SquashedFrogg
20-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Sets of pedals that slide out from under our seats, hooked up to dynamos to power the floodlights. We get fitter as a byproduct.

And we can stop peddling whenever the opposing team is on the attack.

Since452
20-02-2020, 05:44 PM
That's great but where's the pre game interviews?

SquashedFrogg
20-02-2020, 05:46 PM

I think we're now saving electricity 😀

20-02-2020, 05:49 PM

Will probably be tomorrow afternoon when they are put up on Hibs TV.

JimBHibees
20-02-2020, 06:00 PM
Fantastic the club are showing leadership in this area. Well done to all involved.

Pretty Boy
20-02-2020, 06:04 PM
This is something we should all be proud of.

I know the other thread went off on a tangent but whatever your views on climate change surely any attempt to be less wasteful and more resourceful is to be welcomed? Add to that catering for an ever growing market of veggies/vegans/plant based eaters and so on. Coming at it from another angle it's an area that can see us create revenue streams.

If global players like Man Utd are taking strides in areas like this then it is to be welcomed that we are ahead of the game in Scotland. If nothing else it is simply laudable because it's the right thing to do.

MyJo
20-02-2020, 06:07 PM
I did notice in the announcement that they mentioned building in renewable energy sources to future development projects. Is this referring to the indoor pitch at east mains or potential stadium upgrades I wonder

flash
20-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Great initiative. Hopefully copied from John O'Groats all the way down to the borderlands.

CapitalGreen
20-02-2020, 06:19 PM
I did notice in the announcement that they mentioned building in renewable energy sources to future development projects. Is this referring to the indoor pitch at east mains or potential stadium upgrades I wonder

Probably space for a big wind farm down at East Mains.

Since452
20-02-2020, 06:20 PM

It's certainly windy enough down there!

green day
20-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Excellent initiative, and probably makes financial sense as well as being environmentally the right thing to do.

Been out and just caught up on that other thread, some "interesting" comments just before it was closed :greengrin

Jack Hackett
20-02-2020, 06:23 PM

It's certainly windy enough down there!

If it's wind you're after, look no further than .net :wink:

Hibee87
20-02-2020, 06:36 PM

Stick one in a corner and power the stadium haha
Joking aside, I imagine the catering use a lot of plastic waste, probably see things change there

Hibs4185
20-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Rightly we should be proud of this. Now for stage 2 of Ron’s plan to make us the greenest club in the country 💵

Keith_M
20-02-2020, 06:59 PM
I just had a look at the other thread... Dearie me, that ended badly.

Eyrie
20-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Another reason to be proud of being a Hibs fan.

Also good to know just how much we're already doing and how highly we're ranked in making an effort to do the right thing.

Foritza
20-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Will all this wind help us on the pitch ?

Jones28
20-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Borderlands will be along in a minute to tell us Ron Gordon is a holographic projection being controlled by extinction rebellion.

Eyrie
20-02-2020, 07:24 PM
Borderlands will be along in a minute to tell us Ron Gordon is a holographic projection being controlled by extinction rebellion.

He's probably busy with other things, like trying to stop the tin foil hat falling over his eyes when he thinks he's near the edge of the flat earth.

Loopz
20-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Great progressive thinking by the club. I’m always asking people to turn lights, heaters and computers off at work. Never tire telling supporters of the darker sides it’s good to make the work environment a greener place to be.

Hibee Mac
20-02-2020, 07:40 PM
I'm all for this, well done Hibs. Keen to see what we do next

I_Love_Latapy
20-02-2020, 07:49 PM
This is really smart...1) genuinely think its a good thing to do, b) is a good way of linking into the community and c) makes us different which will be great for commercial support

gaz1875
20-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Bee keeping would be interesting, "Hi-Bees Honey" can see the jars now :thumbsup:

Liberal Hibby
20-02-2020, 08:32 PM
Good stuff. Let's see what the words mean in terms of actions - but a quick hit would be to remove the car parking at the ground and encourage all fans to use public transport.

Helensburghhibs
20-02-2020, 08:56 PM
Good stuff. Let's see what the words mean in terms of actions - but a quick hit would be to remove the car parking at the ground and encourage all fans to use public transport.

🙈 Luckily hibs don't own any land where supporters can park cars therefore can't dictate who drives and who doesn't.

Moulin Yarns
20-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Great initiative. Hopefully copied from John O'Groats all the way down to the borderlands.

👍😁

TimeForHeroes16
20-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Probably get a hybrid pitch now as well that I’m no in favour of just give the grounds man electrical lawnmowers

davhibby
20-02-2020, 09:03 PM
🙈 Luckily hibs don't own any land where supporters can park cars therefore can't dictate who drives and who doesn't.

The roadworks on Leith Walk for the next 18 months however will do more than Hibs could ever do to stop folk driving

NorthNorfolkHFC
20-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Bee keeping would be interesting, "Hi-Bees Honey" can see the jars now :thumbsup:

Are they actually doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gaz1875
20-02-2020, 09:14 PM
Are they actually doing this?

Evening news mentioned bee keeping.

NorthNorfolkHFC
20-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Evening news mentioned bee keeping.

Nice.

Anyone know who to contact regarding this initiative? My wife works at a school in Leith and is keen to work in line with Hibs, or certainly collaborate with some of their ideas. Certainly bee keeping.

neil7908
20-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Fantastic Hibs, great to see us taking the lead in a hugely important area.

GreenCastle
21-02-2020, 07:33 AM
Few things off the top of my head.

Could the club add some cycle racks around the stadium for safe and secure parking.

Are pizzas still sold on material which can’t be recycled ?

I would still make the bins at ER more fun - large green bins and signage about please don’t drop litter (as this can blow into local streets and make the community more messy).

LED lights are a decent shout too.

East Mains definitely has potential for wind farm and bee hives / community allotments etc.

Any other sensible suggestions ?

Pagan Hibernia
21-02-2020, 07:57 AM

:greengrin

This post was under appreciated, love it!

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2020, 09:04 AM
East Mains definitely has potential for wind farm and bee hives / community allotments etc.

What's going on here???

East Mains is our training centre but you want folk planting veg and keeping bees there??

Mental.

hibsbollah
21-02-2020, 09:07 AM
What's going on here???

East Mains is our training centre but you want folk planting veg and keeping bees there??

Mental.

It would create a buzz around the place, there's absolutely hoe doubt about it.

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 09:08 AM
What's going on here???

Mental.

Worlds gone mad!!!

neil7908
21-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Few things off the top of my head.

Could the club add some cycle racks around the stadium for safe and secure parking.

Are pizzas still sold on material which can’t be recycled ?

I would still make the bins at ER more fun - large green bins and signage about please don’t drop litter (as this can blow into local streets and make the community more messy).

LED lights are a decent shout too.

Electric vehicle charge points.

green day
21-02-2020, 09:10 AM
What's going on here???

Mental.

Punishment for turning up late to training, dig the ground over and plant a few tatties, whats not to like?

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:11 AM

That is in the plans, both at East Mains and Easter Road. Also Electric vehicles.

Hiber-nation
21-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Worlds gone mad!!!

Aye it's full of conspiracy theorists and climate change deniers.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Worlds gone mad!!!

Exactly, which is why Hibs are trying to do their bit to help change it, for the better.

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 09:13 AM
That is in the plans, both at East Mains and Easter Road. Also Electric vehicles.

Why? How much through traffic is there at EM and a closed car park at Easter Road.

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 09:13 AM
Punishment for turning up late to training, dig the ground over and plant a few tatties, whats not to like?

No wonder Efe left.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
21-02-2020, 09:15 AM
Why? How much through traffic is there at EM and a closed car park at Easter Road.

Presumably for staff / players?

What would stop ECP somewhere outside the FF stand, thats not a closed car park?

green day
21-02-2020, 09:15 AM
No wonder Efe left.[emoji6]

:thumbsup:He is exactly the player I had in mind.

GreenCastle
21-02-2020, 09:16 AM
What's going on here???

Mental.

Plenty of land not being used.

The club will announce plans soon about community work at East Mains so not sure it’s a massive surprise Hibs plan to do more there. Ok the bee and allotments was a bit far fetched !

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Plenty of land not being used.

The club will announce plans soon about community work at East Mains so not sure it’s a massive surprise Hibs plan to do more there. Ok the bee and allotments was a bit far fetched !

We should be selling the spare land to a house builder, there firing up house down east Lothian good style.
Re-invest this in the training ground,keep the running costs low for a few years and more to spend on the park.
Win-win

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:24 AM

People really need to read the proposals before jumping in with remarks like these

Electrifying the current club fleet to electric vehicles will save around 3% of the club’s current CO2 output.We are aligned to the integrated travel plan launched by Edinburgh City Council and aim to reduce the current 48% of attendees who travel by car to matches through travel partners.Electric charging points to be installed around Easter Road Stadium and HTC.
The whole thing is here

http://greenestclubinscotland.co.uk/

Hibs4185
21-02-2020, 09:25 AM
All the players to become vegan and drive electric cars?

Ronaldoidge is vegan and he’s up for the Ballon D’oidge

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:25 AM
We should be selling the spare land to a house builder, there firing up house down east Lothian good style.
Re-invest this in the training ground,keep the running costs low for a few years and more to spend on the park.
Win-win

I have not looked back, but I'm sure there are ground issues that would restrict that amount of building on the site. And the word is THEY'RE :rolleyes:

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 09:28 AM
People really need to read the proposals before jumping in with remarks like these

Electrifying the current club fleet to electric vehicles will save around 3% of the club’s current CO2 output.We are aligned to the integrated travel plan launched by Edinburgh City Council and aim to reduce the current 48% of attendees who travel by car to matches through travel partners.Electric charging points to be installed around Easter Road Stadium and HTC.
The whole thing is here

Realistically it'll be about 6 points for six cars, hardly gonna keep Greta happy is it, lip service, we should concentrate on being a football club, it's what we are after all.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Moulin Yarns;6091137]People really need to read the proposals before jumping in with remarks like these

Realistically it'll be about 6 points for six cars, hardly gonna keep Greta happy is it, lip service, we should concentrate on being a football club, it's what we are after all.

You have inside knowledge of this? How many cars do Hibs have? And BTW a single charging point can charge more than one car at the same time.

Jones28
21-02-2020, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=Moulin Yarns;6091137]People really need to read the proposals before jumping in with remarks like these

FAO of FishyBeaver

So should we do away with the community foundation too, seeing as we’re just a football club?

Football clubs are so much more than on the football pitch. If you can’t see that there’s no hope for you.

Jones28
21-02-2020, 09:36 AM
I wonder if they’ll do something with Lothian busses, eg match ticket gets you discounted travel to the game?

I’m sure in Germany if you’ve got a match ticket public transport is free?

neil7908
21-02-2020, 09:37 AM
Win-win

How do you know anyone wants to buy the land? How much would we get for it?

It's highly unlikely to be enough space to build a housing estate.

Col2
21-02-2020, 09:37 AM
Is this where the John McGinn money has gone 🤡🤡

neil7908
21-02-2020, 09:41 AM
Hibs are being very smart here. All these proposals will cost very little and sound generally simple and easy to do.

For younger generations environmental considerations are massive. I'm not saying this will gain us thousands of news fans but it raises our profile and gets us some positive news coverage.

I guarantee that within a few years or less every top flight club in Scotland will be doing this stuff.

Kato
21-02-2020, 09:42 AM
What's going on here???

Mental.

Snowflake.

Hibs own a large amount of land at East Mains that isn't used. Plenty room for these initiatives.

Jack
21-02-2020, 09:43 AM
Nice.

Anyone know who to contact regarding this initiative? My wife works at a school in Leith and is keen to work in line with Hibs, or certainly collaborate with some of their ideas. Certainly bee keeping.

Not Hibs related but did you know there are bee hives down at Leith Links in that community garden thing? I think the woman might be open to a bit of educational stuff with kids if her Facebook page is anything to go by, or at least it was when I looked it up a while ago.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:44 AM
So should we go away with the community foundation too, seeing as we’re just a football club?

Football clubs are so much more than on the football pitch. If you can’t see that there’s no hope for you.

Can you make it clear that you are replying to Fishybeaver and not me. I agree with you.

Unseen work
21-02-2020, 09:46 AM
I mean it sounds great and all but what will it actually change for us as a club?

Maybe they just purely see it as a way to get more income

Saving money through going green
New sponsorship opportunities
Hosting events

How much money it will generate I don’t know/save I don’t know.

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 09:47 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200221/2ae573c8465840bcf5b918b8893dc061.jpg

This is what makes Hibs.net so special.[emoji23]

Mantis Toboggan
21-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Hibs are being very smart here. All these proposals will cost very little and sound generally simple and easy to do.

For younger generations environmental considerations are massive. I'm not saying this will gain us thousands of news fans but it raises our profile and gets us some positive news coverage.

I guarantee that within a few years or less every top flight club in Scotland will be doing this stuff.

Agree with this. Not surprised to see additional garbage from half wits being posted on this thread as well after the complete farce the other one turned into.

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 09:56 AM

As well as being a football club, Hibs are also an employer with 60+(?) staff, company vehicles, staff dining rooms, maintenance of pitches and buildings.

Businesses/employers have to take responsibility for the effect of their operations on the environment. Apart from anything else theres a lot of stuff which result in direct savings - using less water, LED lamps using less electricity, reducing the amount of rubbish/refuse produced, tax breaks for cleaner vehicles, etc.

Sadly there will always be people who 1. don't think there's a problem and 2. aren't willing to question their own ideas/habits and try to improve things, but fortunately there are many more (myself included) who recognise we can't continue as we've been doing and have started making an effort to change the trend.

Jones28
21-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Can you make it clear that you are replying to Fishybeaver and not me. I agree with you.

Done ✅

Peevemor
I mean it sounds great and all but what will it actually change for us as a club?

Maybe they just purely see it as a way to get more income

Saving money through going green
New sponsorship opportunities
Hosting events

How much money it will generate I don’t know/save I don’t know.

Some things are more important than football.

hibsbollah
All the players to become vegan and drive electric cars?

Yes. It's all part of George Soros' masterplan.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Done ✅

:aok:

Jack
21-02-2020, 10:04 AM

The whole thing is here

It would be good if LRT came on board.

I know in some European countries clubs have a deal with the local public transport providers allowing 'free travel' to and from the match if you have a match ticket. Would supporters, with those from out of town using the park and rides, be encouraged by such a scheme?

There's a difficulty at the moment for people wanting to use public transport so it's neither wonder folk prefer to take their cars.

LRT could put on extra buses to take folk from the game. Two or three 1s and 35s sitting at the foot of Easter Road moving off at the final whistle would make more sense than just now were both scream up Easter Road just before the whistle trying to avoid the rush of supporters! Similar could be tried at London Road and Leith Walk.

One Day Soon
21-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Agree with this. Not surprised to see additional garbage from half wits being posted on this thread as well after the complete farce the other one turned into.

Which other thread is the one that became farcical?

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Which other thread is the one that became farcical?
Enjoy :greengrin

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?345208-Greenest-Club-in-Scotland

GreenCastle
21-02-2020, 10:28 AM

I know in some European countries clubs have a deal with the local public transport providers allowing 'free travel' to and from the match if you have a match ticket. Would supporters, with those from out of town using the park and rides, be encouraged by such a scheme?

There's a difficulty at the moment for people wanting to use public transport so it's neither wonder folk prefer to take their cars.

LRT could put on extra buses to take folk from the game. Two or three 1s and 35s sitting at the foot of Easter Road moving off at the final whistle would make more sense than just now were both scream up Easter Road just before the whistle trying to avoid the rush of supporters! Similar could be tried at London Road and Leith Walk.

Shuttle buses are a good idea with drop offs around the city. They do it at major tournaments and it works well.

Also the club should be looking at match day tram deals.

But like swelling tickets and merchandise in the festival - good ideas but will the club actually have the ambition and think outside the box.

Coco Bryce
21-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Do we have solar panels on the roof of the stands? If not, why not?

Green Reaper
21-02-2020, 10:47 AM

I asked this a while back and someone said that we had looked at this but it was not cost effective

neil7908
21-02-2020, 11:08 AM
I asked this a while back and someone said that we had looked at this but it was not cost effective

Generally they are only installed on angled roofs that are South facing so unlikely to see enough sunlight to make it worthwhile.

Since452
21-02-2020, 11:10 AM

Would be a pretty metal initial expense I'd have thought

SquashedFrogg
21-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Would be a pretty metal initial expense I'd have thought

I'm guessing if it was viable they'd have done it. Although with all the sunshine on Leith it does seem odd.

I'd stick wind turbines up facing the South stand. Blow all the empty crisp bags and rubbish over visiting fans.

One Day Soon
21-02-2020, 11:17 AM
Enjoy :greengrin

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?345208-Greenest-Club-in-Scotland

It is indeed an absolute belter and a great pity that it was rather needlessly closed. It could have been found a perfectly nice home on the Holy Ground, although that is a dark place...

I have two questions. Has the club or Ron published/announced the new business plan yet? Does anyone know what percentage of global carbon emissions are currently contributed by Scotland?

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 11:24 AM
Generally they are only installed on angled roofs that are South facing so unlikely to see enough sunlight to make it worthwhile.

https://images.app.goo.gl/yrPaxkRD6RkypF9V9

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 11:26 AM
I'm guessing if it was viable they'd have done it. Although with all the sunshine on Leith it does seem odd.

I'd stick wind turbines up facing the South stand. Blow all the empty crisp bags and rubbish over visiting fans.

The bulk of the stadium is used only 2-3 times per month on average (less in the summer). To be useful the electricity/energy gained from the solar panls would have to be either stocked (batteries) or sold back to the grid. The deal/contract with the energy providers to sell the excess power is what would determine the viability of solar panels, and these things change all the time.

neil7908
21-02-2020, 11:32 AM
The bulk of the stadium is used only 2-3 times per month on average (less in the summer). To be useful the electricity/energy gained from the solar panls would have to be either stocked (batteries) or sold back to the grid. The deal/contract with the energy providers to sell the excess power is what would determine the viability of solar panels, and these things change all the time.

Ajax have solar and battery storage system.

neil7908
21-02-2020, 11:33 AM
https://images.app.goo.gl/yrPaxkRD6RkypF9V9

Good point! Although I know the panels can be quite heavy - I wonder if the stand roofs could support much extra weight?

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Let’s copy their youth development system first and then worry about solar panels.

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 11:41 AM

You need something to store the energy harvested - either batteries or hot water tanks.

For large installations, unless you're going to use the power yourself (which Hibs wouldn't), viability will always come down to the buy-back deals on offer at the time.

Good point! Although I know the panels can be quite heavy - I wonder if the stand roofs could support much extra weight?

It's not just an issue of weight (solar panels aren't that heavy compared to the wind and snow loadings which are built into the calculations), but safe access for regular maintenance (mostly cleaning).

neil7908
21-02-2020, 11:44 AM
Let’s copy their youth development system first and then worry about solar panels.

Can we only do 1 thing at the same time?

BTW I'm not actually saying the club should get solar, I trust they have looked into this and the economics behind it.

I was just making a point that other clubs, many bigger than ourselves, have taken steps in this direction. What Hibs are doing is not that out of the ordinary.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2020, 12:12 PM
It is indeed an absolute belter and a great pity that it was rather needlessly closed. It could have been found a perfectly nice home on the Holy Ground, although that is a dark place...

I have two questions. Has the club or Ron published/announced the new business plan yet? Does anyone know what percentage of global carbon emissions are currently contributed by Scotland?

The UK contributes less than 2% of global emissions so Scotland's share, and then Edinburgh's share is so tiny it's inconsequential on a global scale!!

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 12:13 PM
The UK contributes less than 2% of global emissions so Scotland's share, and then Edinburgh's share is so tiny it's inconsequential on a global scale!!

True, though that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort.

Ozyhibby
21-02-2020, 12:16 PM
The clubs electricity is already carbon free. Solar would not enhance our green credentials in any way. Getting rid of the gas heating system might.

Coco Bryce
21-02-2020, 12:19 PM

We have 80 solar panels on our roof at work. It's just a standard fabricated roof and hasn't been strengthened at any time.

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 12:26 PM
All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars..can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees? How many off the pro group actually drive electric cars?
Have we ticked a box for a fashionable subject...yes

Nothing more!!

hibsbollah
21-02-2020, 12:28 PM

It is possible to type nonsense and eat a sandwich at the same time. Other people take a dump while reading a newspaper. It's called multitasking.

flash
21-02-2020, 12:29 PM
All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars.. o, can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees?

Nothing more!!
Would hardly call global warming fashionable.

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 12:40 PM
Would hardly call global warming fashionable.

I would, it's the latest "cool" thing to be attached to.
I am all for keeping the seas clean etc, but the global warming fear is open for questioning big time.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 12:40 PM
All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars..can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees? How many off the pro group actually drive electric cars?

Nothing more!!

Again read the proposal. Hibs will electrify the pool of cars, so no members of the staff will be buying them, it's a business lease agreement, which we already have.

Your assumption that paying for any of the capital costs incurred will impact the player budget will be addressed at the AGM, and proved to be unfounded.

Is climate change and environmental issues fashionable? No. They are global issues. Climate change is driving the current fires in Australia, storms in the UK, drought in Africa and Asia. Not very fashionable.

Vault Boy
21-02-2020, 12:41 PM
The other thread was closed because the OP was about the new initiative launched by Hibs outlining our green policy, but the content devolved into 'debating' the integrity of climate change evidence.

It wasn't moved to the Holy Ground because it doesn't belong there, it was about Hibs. If you want to start a thread about global warming on the Holy Ground, go right ahead.

I'll just ask that we please keep this one on topic regarding the announcement from Hibs, it would be a shame to have to close both.

Thanks folks.

hibsbollah
21-02-2020, 12:45 PM
I would, it's the latest "cool" thing to be attached to.
I am all for keeping the seas clean etc, but the global warming fear is open for questioning big time.

This is tremendous. A climate change denier :faf:

danhibees1875
21-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Nothing more!!

I understand where you're coming from with wanting Hibs to focus purely on their football; maximising revenues to spend more on players and ultimately do better on the pitch.

But I think as a society we've went passed that point, businesses of any nature could claim that as well as individuals. We're probably guilty of doing that for too long and that's what has gotten us further into this mess. I think it's time everyday businesses started to do more and focus on the triple bottom line - the club are starting off down the right path here. :aok:

One Day Soon
21-02-2020, 12:50 PM
It would appear that Scotland was contributing roughly 0.12% of total global emissions as of 2017.

More than Switzerland at 0.11%, the same as Bulgaria at 0.12% and less than Ireland at 0.13%.

Unless China 27.51%, the US 14.75%, EU 9.33%, India 6.43%, Russia 4.86%, Japan 2.99% and Brazil 2.25% get their acts together we'll be screwed anyway. As they constitute just under 70% of total global emissions collectively our 0.12% is literally a fly on the elephant's backside.

If at this stage you're still denying climate change you have a lot of catch up reading to do. Are Hibs going to fix it? No. Is it a clever marginal initiative from the Club? Yes. Would I have preferred to see this now near mythical business plan published first? Yes.

hibee316
21-02-2020, 12:53 PM
This is tremendous. A climate change denier :faf:

It's mental that they still exist.

One Day Soon
21-02-2020, 12:56 PM
I understand where you're coming from with wanting Hibs to focus purely on their football; maximising revenues to spend more on players and ultimately do better on the pitch.

But I think as a society we've went passed that point, businesses of any nature could claim that as well as individuals. We're probably guilty of doing that for too long and that's what has gotten us further into this mess. I think it's time everyday businesses started to do more and focus on the triple bottom line - the club are starting off down the right path here. :aok:

Is there any reason why we can't prioritise the football interests of the club while also saving the planet? It is possible to walk and chew bum at the same time (sic), unless you're Gerald Ford.

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Nothing more!!

Wow! You just keep your head buried in the sand and leave everyone else to try to sort out the mess we've got ourselves into.

Wilson
21-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Is there any reason why we can't prioritise the football interests of the club while also saving the planet? It is possible to walk and chew bum at the same time (sic), unless you're Gerald Ford.

Sounds okay to me but I like to see where I'm going.

danhibees1875
21-02-2020, 12:59 PM

I think that's exactly what is happening, yes. :aok:

One Day Soon
21-02-2020, 01:00 PM
Sounds okay to me but I like to see where I'm going.

You just lack ambition. And sonar.

green day
21-02-2020, 01:01 PM
The other thread was closed because the OP was about the new initiative launched by Hibs outlining our green policy, but the content devolved into 'debating' the integrity of climate change evidence.

It wasn't moved to the Holy Ground because it doesn't belong there, it was about Hibs. If you want to start a thread about global warming on the Holy Ground, go right ahead.

I'll just ask that we please keep this one on topic regarding the announcement from Hibs, it would be a shame to have to close both.

Thanks folks.

Good shout.......although the other thread was tremendous entertainment :greengrin

Back on topic for a moment, this is a very sensible move by Hibs. If we can do good - even if it perceived to be in a small way - then that is a positive thing.

It may also get us some very decent publicity and awareness among younger people, which again is no bad thing.

I was talking to my IFA yesterday and he was telling me about one of the Investment Fund Managers in Edinburgh who are on a mission to ensure all their funds are invested in both ethical and environmentally friendly companies by the end of 2021.
On the face of it, it sounds like a gimmick, but if previously hard nosed, only interested in the bottom line Investment houses see that this is the way the wind is blowing - then it not only makes sense, but not to acknowledge it or do something about it is just silly.

matty_f
21-02-2020, 01:20 PM

Nothing more!!

Quite a lot wrong with this post.

Commercially, it's a great move for the club - makes us immediately more marketable and will be a big factor in attracting more lucrative sponsorship.

Forest Green Rovers are a case in point, I had barely heard of them previously but even before we signed Doidge I was aware of their green credentials.

Businesses need to have social responsibility, Hibs are no different.

This is an excellent initiative that will add to, not detract from, our potential for success.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2020, 01:36 PM
It's mental that they still exist.

It's not so much denying climate change exists, it's pretty much accepted as fact now.

There is however an awful lot to be discussed around the causes and what we can do about it, if anything.

The answer put forward by most people seems to be to consume less or pay more for what we do consume. If that is the case then, yeah, we're as well not giving a damn.

I'm all for putting litter in the bin or turning the lights off when I'm not in the room but lets not pretend we're saving the planet.

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 01:46 PM
It's not so much denying climate change exists, it's pretty much accepted as fact now.

There is however an awful lot to be discussed around the causes and what we can do about it, if anything.

The answer put forward by most people seems to be to consume less or pay more for what we do consume. If that is the case then, yeah, we're as well not giving a damn.

I'm all for putting litter in the bin or turning the lights off when I'm not in the room but lets not pretend we're saving the planet.

The voice off reason.

Kato
21-02-2020, 01:50 PM

I'm all for putting litter in the bin or turning the lights off when I'm not in the room but lets not pretend we're saving the planet.Who on here is pretending we are saving the planet. If every business had your attitude then nothing would get done. Nothing at all.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 01:54 PM

I'm all for putting litter in the bin or turning the lights off when I'm not in the room but lets not pretend we're saving the planet.Although there's so much more that we can all try to do, and without too much effort, you think it's not worth bothering then?

HiBremian
21-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Werder Bremen.

True that the contract with energy providers will determine viability, but there's another way here in Bremen - citizens' solar power. Basically citizens (or fans) invest from €500 in the panels and get a return each year, usually 4-6% here. All the owners of the roofs do is rent them out for a tidy sum each year. Win-win-win (club-punters-environment). A chunk of my pension now comes from exactly this model.

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 01:55 PM
The voice off reason.Luckily there are people, like Hibs now, who make the effort to show us that this isn't the case.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Who on here is pretending we are saving the planet. If every business had your attitude then nothing would get done. Nothing at all.

Ah, Kato, everytime I post anything, about anything, you're there, waiting to pounce....

Read through the thread and you'll see a few posts mentioning 'saving the planet'.

Besides, I'm not talking specifically about Hibs fans here, I'm talking about the whole green movement. Everywhere go you'll see something talking about 'saving the planet'.

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Werder Bremen.

True that the contract with energy providers will determine viability, but there's another way here in Bremen - citizens' solar power. Basically citizens (or fans) invest from €500 in the panels and get a return each year, usually 4-6% here. All the owners of the roofs do is rent them out for a tidy sum each year. Win-win-win (club-punters-environment). A chunk of my pension now comes from exactly this model.Good stuff.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Although there's so much more that we can all try to do, and without too much effort, you think it's not worth bothering then?

I think that when you take a look at cities such as Rio, Mexico City, Delhi, Beijing etc you realise that if even if Britain ceased to exist, the reduction in emission from there being no UK would have zero impact on a global scale.

Yet we are being asked to give up using or pay more to continue to use. I don't think that's the way forward at all.

I jokingly said a few years ago that they would soon start to stop us eating meat. It's now happening. Give it a few more years and eating beef will be seen like smoking or drink driving.

The answer to gobal warming will be in technological advances. The countries doing most in this area will be USA, UK and European and yet somehow we're seen as the bad guys.

SquashedFrogg
21-02-2020, 02:06 PM

Thanks for this info. My post was very much tongue in cheek though. Well, except for blowing empty crisp packets at visiting supporters 😀

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 02:20 PM
I think that when you take a look at cities such as Rio, Mexico City, Delhi, Beijing etc you realise that if even if Britain ceased to exist, the reduction in emission from there being no UK would have zero impact on a global scale.

Yet we are being asked to give up using or pay more to continue to use. I don't think that's the way forward at all.

I jokingly said a few years ago that they would soon start to stop us eating meat. It's now happening. Give it a few more years and eating beef will be seen like smoking or drink driving.

The answer to gobal warming will be in technological advances. The countries doing most in this area will be USA, UK and European and yet somehow we're seen as the bad guys.

There are probably people in Mexico City, Delhi etc saying that there is no point in changing to an electric vehicle because the UK are still pumping CO2 into the atmosphere. Hibs are being forward looking and innovative while nae sayers are pointing to them and saying why bother, we're stuffed anyway.

Hibs were the first with undersoil heating, now all top clubs have it. This is the start of a movement where businesses take the initiative for the future of the planet.

Ignore climate change at our peril.

I won't be around to see if we have managed to make the difference but I sure hope we can.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2020, 02:35 PM
There are probably people in Mexico City, Delhi etc saying that there is no point in changing to an electric vehicle because the UK are still pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

In a lot of countries their priorities are getting clean water and feeding themselves, not how to reduce CO2 emissions.

They need massive amounts of infrastructure built just to get up to basic human living standards that we all take for granted. That will take zillions of tonnes of concrete and steel etc which are some of the worst contributors to CO2 emissions.

Sergio sledge
21-02-2020, 02:41 PM

Nothing more!!

What if having solar panels at East Mains reduced the running costs by an amount which allowed us to sign an extra player or offer an existing player a better contract so we could hold onto them a bit longer or maximise their transfer fee?

Having worked in low carbon consultancy advising businesses on their energy, sustainability and carbon footprint I know that very few businesses will implement schemes like this unless there is a clear business case for it, which would take into account PR/publicity benefits, employee wellbeing, costs, savings, etc.

Whilst they may cost us capital in the short term (which will no doubt be taken from the infrastructure budget and not the playing budget) there will be clearly laid out benefits long term, particularly when the likes of solar power is effectively free energy, reducing running costs and freeing up money which we can use to boost the playing squad.

Similarly, widening the range of foods on offer at the stadium, catering for different dietary choices and requirements should increase catering revenue and improve the fans experience at the game making it a more attractive place to attend. It's only a small thing and may not be something which is noticeable to most fans, but little things like this and the family fun zone they have been running helps make the club a better place for fans and should hopefully help attendances at games.

East Mains would be the place where solar panels would make the most sense, its always better to use the energy yourself and East Mains is used most days of the week, so the energy generated would get used more there.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Maybe, but I doubt it.

In a lot of countries their priorities are getting clean water and feeding themselves, not how to reduce CO2 emissions.

They need massive amounts of infrastructure built just to get up to basic human living standards that we all take for granted. That will take zillions of tonnes of concrete and steel etc which are some of the worst contributors to CO2 emissions.

Mexico City, World leaders in climate mitigation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_Mexico

Delhi suffers major air pollution

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_issues_in_Delhi

Kato
21-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Ah, Kato, everytime I post anything, about anything, you're there, waiting to pounce....

Read through the thread and you'll see a few posts mentioning 'saving the planet'.

Besides, I'm not talking specifically about Hibs fans here, I'm talking about the whole green movement. Everywhere go you'll see something talking about 'saving the planet'.First comment is pure hype, petal, and nowhere near accurate. Look back on your posts if like and you'll see it's pure nonsense.

If words or figures of speech annoy you so much maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you.

If people saying the words "saving the planet" annoys you maybe stay away from discussions surrounding green issues, especially if your sole contribution is to say "why bother" and grump and groan about people who think its worthwhile.

Jonnyboy
21-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Nothing more!!

As a matter of interest, do you recycle at home?

Jones28
21-02-2020, 03:09 PM

If everyone had that attitude we’d be humped.

Let’s not pretend that as individuals our efforts are going to make a huge difference compared to what needs to happen, but Hibs are a reasonably big organisation that play host to probably 25 games per calendar year, give or take. Even if you took a very conservative average of 10,000 per game that means they’re hosting a quarter of a million people at Easter road per year. If you try to tell me that making an effort to influence all those journeys to the ground, consumption of material whilst there and then journeys home again then I could not disagree more.

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 03:43 PM
As a matter of interest, do you recycle at home?

I use the green bin as required and the grey as required, I am not against recycling, and as stated keeping the seas clean etc. But I feel that global warming is a bandwagon being jumped on and is now being used as an additional tax. Ionline shopping has greatly increased the traffic / packaging / waste element but I've yet to see any political movement to support the high street and reduce the online shopping market. Why is that not targeted for example?

green day
21-02-2020, 03:55 PM
I use the green bin as required and the grey as required, I am not against recycling, and as stated keeping the seas clean etc. But I feel that global warming is a bandwagon being jumped on and is now being used as an additional tax. Ionline shopping has greatly increased the traffic / packaging / waste element but I've yet to see any political movement to support the high street and reduce the online shopping market. Why is that not targeted for example?

You actually think online increases road traffic???? Dont you think it might reduce the number of cars driving round shopping centres?

I dont actually know the answer to the question about online v high street and the carbon footprint of both.............but I will bet you a tenner its not as simple as you seem to think.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2020, 04:28 PM
First comment is pure hype, petal, and nowhere near accurate. Look back on your posts if like and you'll see it's pure nonsense.

If words or figures of speech annoy you so much maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you.

If people saying the words "saving the planet" annoys you maybe stay away from discussions surrounding green issues, especially if your sole contribution is to say "why bother" and grump and groan about people who think its worthwhile.

Not annoyed in the slightest, just taking part in the conversation.

You seem to have a right bee in your bonnet about me for some reason though.

Anyways, no hard feelings on my part, petal:na na:

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 04:29 PM
You actually think online increases road traffic???? Dont you think it might reduce the number of cars driving round shopping centres?

I dont actually know the answer to the question about online v high street and the carbon footprint of both.............but I will bet you a tenner its not as simple as you seem to think.

Agree it's not as simple as that, but working in the transport industry I can confirm that there are way more vehicles travelling with drops around peoples houses than there ever was, and that large one vehicle deliveries to the likes off Debenhams etc on princess street has decreased.
You buy three items when on foot in princess street that have been delivered in bulk that you take home under your arm, buy 3 online from different retailers and that's 3 vehicles that's delivered to your door.
More folk get fast food delivered than walking to the chippy is another simple example, the list is endless, but current trends appear to have moved on from plastic straws and turtle's.

One Day Soon
21-02-2020, 04:41 PM

Let’s not pretend that as individuals our efforts are going to make a huge difference compared to what needs to happen, but Hibs are a reasonably big organisation that play host to probably 25 games per calendar year, give or take. Even if you took a very conservative average of 10,000 per game that means they’re hosting a quarter of a million people at Easter road per year. If you try to tell me that making an effort to influence all those journeys to the ground, consumption of material whilst there and then journeys home again then I could not disagree more.

As the whole of Scotland is responsible for just 0.12% of global carbon emissions, even looking at this at club rather than individual level will still be next to negligible in impact.

There are only two ways to tackle this. One is that the countries which are the biggest current offenders make the biggest changes because that will have the biggest impact. The other is that consumers - both individuals and organisations - exercise collective consumer power and stop buying where possible from those countries who are the biggest offenders precisely because their production chains which bring us their products to buy are among the the highest carbon emitters.

The Hibernian announcement is excellent PR but not a lot else other than making us and potential sponsors feel good about ourselves. It would almost be the dreaded virtue signalling were it not for that fact that it is presumably intended to bring a net commercial benefit to the club one way or another.

Jack Hackett
21-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Agree it's not as simple as that, but working in the transport industry I can confirm that there are way more vehicles travelling with drops around peoples houses than there ever was, and that large one vehicle deliveries to the likes off Debenhams etc on princess street has decreased.
You buy three items when on foot in princess street that have been delivered in bulk that you take home under your arm, buy 3 online from different retailers and that's 3 vehicles that's delivered to your door.
More folk get fast food delivered than walking to the chippy is another simple example, the list is endless, but current trends appear to have moved on from plastic straws and turtle's.

Completely ignoring the fact that these delivery vehicles are multi-drop. 50 deliveries in a van on a round? That's 50 cars not making return journeys

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Completely ignoring the fact that these delivery vehicles are multi-drop. 50 deliveries in a van on a round? That's 50 cars not making return journeys

And ignoring that fact that all this could have been done on foot and with public transport. So that's 50 cars and numerous Van's not making any journey's

Jack Hackett
21-02-2020, 05:21 PM
And ignoring that fact that all this could have been done on foot and with public transport. So that's 50 cars and numerous Van's not making any journey's

That's a really, really ignorant response. So, everything that gets delivered to my house, I could have picked up myself... on foot or by bus? How does that work if the item(s) are hundreds of miles away? How does that work if I'm looking after 3 kids and don't relish the prospect of dragging them down to the supermarket... and then struggling home with them and a weeks worth of food... on a packed bus?

Your response is laughable... so I will

:faf::faf::faf:

A Hi-Bee
21-02-2020, 05:22 PM
Well we are the original Greens so why no try and be even greener.

A Hi-Bee
21-02-2020, 05:26 PM

Extra buses have you tried to get a bus up Easter Rd after a game.............LRT are all jambos

A Hi-Bee
21-02-2020, 05:31 PM
What's going on here???

Mental.

Tincastle is already at the tattie growing stage, with every bit of spare land planted

A Hi-Bee
21-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Just imagine all that methane gas...phew

Kato
21-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Not annoyed in the slightest, just taking part in the conversation.

You seem to have a right bee in your bonnet about me for some reason though.

Anyways, no hard feelings on my part, petal:na na:Not quite sure what you mean, look back on your posts and your "every time" comment on my replys to you makes you look paranoid. Anyway your not a problem, just your dafty, lazy opinions. All the best[emoji106]

Brightside
21-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Hope we aren’t wasting any money from the men’s team doing this. (Am I doing this right Andy?)

Jones28
21-02-2020, 06:06 PM
As the whole of Scotland is responsible for just 0.12% of global carbon emissions, even looking at this at club rather than individual level will still be next to negligible in impact.

There are only two ways to tackle this. One is that the countries which are the biggest current offenders make the biggest changes because that will have the biggest impact. The other is that consumers - both individuals and organisations - exercise collective consumer power and stop buying where possible from those countries who are the biggest offenders precisely because their production chains which bring us their products to buy are among the the highest carbon emitters.

The Hibernian announcement is excellent PR but not a lot else other than making us and potential sponsors feel good about ourselves. It would almost be the dreaded virtue signalling were it not for that fact that it is presumably intended to bring a net commercial benefit to the club one way or another.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but I think comparing the efforts of a football club to global requirements is a massive leap and they should be applauded for their efforts.

So what if it brings income to the club commercially? If it makes us more attractive to potential sponsers AND more environmentally friendly then great, two birds with one stone.

If you call out everyone who makes an effort to change the way they as individual behave as virtue signallers then you’re doing more harm than good.

Keith_M
21-02-2020, 06:06 PM
This place seems to have become a forum purely for squabbling.

Jones28
21-02-2020, 06:07 PM
Just imagine all that methane gas...phew

Can’t be any more harmful than the gas spouted on here.

Lago
21-02-2020, 06:13 PM
This place seems to have become a forum purely for squabbling.

Or virtue signaling

green day
21-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Or virtue signaling

Perhaps its my age but I dont understand what this means.

Does that make me a snowflake? Or just woke?

Jones28
21-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Perhaps its my age but I dont understand what this means.

Does that make me a snowflake? Or just woke?

It’s telling everyone how morally superior you are by doing certain things that are in reality pointless or require no effort.

It’s also a phrase people use when they’ve run out of things to say to people who are actually trying to make a difference.

hibee316
21-02-2020, 06:37 PM
It would almost be the dreaded virtue signalling...

Is virtue signalling not a phrase coined by angry young men who can't get a girlfriend?
Like the term snow flake I think!

CapitalGreen
21-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Is virtue signalling not a phrase coined by angry young men who can't get a girlfriend?

Yup, it’s another word from the lexicon of those wee guys who are angry with the world because they can’t get their hole.

Lendo
21-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Yes, that and blaming everything on “Millennials”

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 06:58 PM
That's a really, really ignorant response. So, everything that gets delivered to my house, I could have picked up myself... on foot or by bus? How does that work if the item(s) are hundreds of miles away? How does that work if I'm looking after 3 kids and don't relish the prospect of dragging them down to the supermarket... and then struggling home with them and a weeks worth of food... on a packed bus?

Your response is laughable... so I will

:faf::faf::faf:

If you truly believed in it all then it's a small sacrifice to make...as for hundred of miles away, what do you struggle to find in Edinburgh? Or is the thought of making an effort and saving a few quid better than your contribution to saving the world?

Pretty Boy
21-02-2020, 06:58 PM
People who deny climate change would probably have disputed that smoking caused lung cancer or argued putting lead in petrol was a really good idea had they been of a different generation. There were scientists who 'debunked myths' around those things.

Climate change is happening and human activity is influencing and accelerating it. It's too easy to wait for someone else to do something about it. A few simple changes when it comes to attending football that will have minimal negative impact on anyone's 'match day experience' is as good a place to start as any.

Vault Boy
21-02-2020, 07:08 PM
People who deny climate change would probably have disputed that smoking caused lung cancer or argued putting lead in petrol was a really good idea had they been of a different generation. There were scientists who 'debunked myths' around those things.

Climate change is happening and human activity is influencing and accelerating it. It's too easy to wait for someone else to do something about it. A few simple changes when it comes to attending football that will have minimal negative impact on anyone's 'match day experience' is as good a place to start as any.

👏

Lago
21-02-2020, 07:09 PM
Yup, it’s another word from the lexicon of those wee guys who are angry with the world because they can’t get their hole.

Really you seem well versed in it, you one of said wee guys 😅

CapitalGreen
21-02-2020, 07:30 PM
Really you seem well versed in it, you one of said wee guys 😅

Apologies if I struck a nerve.

Lago
21-02-2020, 07:34 PM
Don't think so I'm 6ft & well past the young guy stage, having grandchildren tells you I had no problem in that respect, but yes I do think millennial are pain in the backside. 👍

Jones28
21-02-2020, 08:37 PM

You struck a nerve.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:05 PM

Yeah, I'll go to b&q and get a bulk bag of sand for the paving I'm doing and take it home on the bus, there's 2 changes of bus each way and the nearest bus stop is a mile away.

Thanks for the pearl of wisdom.

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:10 PM
If you truly believed in it all then it's a small sacrifice to make...as for hundred of miles away, what do you struggle to find in Edinburgh? Or is the thought of making an effort and saving a few quid better than your contribution to saving the world?

Not everyone on here lives in Edinburgh, or even a town. My nearest shop is 2 miles away. That's any shop. And it sells wooly jumpers and shortbread.

Lago
21-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I'll go to b&q and get a bulk bag of sand for the paving I'm doing and take it home on the bus, there's 2 changes of bus each way and the nearest bus stop is a mile away.

There are one or two lacking in any kind of wisdom, pearl or otherwise. 🙄

Iain G
21-02-2020, 09:21 PM

I changed my electricity provider to one who uses 100% renewable sources and it costs me less a month than the previous one who had a mix of sources, the majority non renewables. So making the changes to help the planet can actually benefit you, if you can be bothered to invest a wee bit of time.

Iain G
21-02-2020, 09:25 PM

Isn't that because people don't shop at Debenhams, which is why it is heamoraging money!!

Moulin Yarns
21-02-2020, 09:27 PM
I changed my electricity provider to one who uses 100% renewable sources and it costs me less a month than the previous one who had a mix of sources, the majority non renewables. So making the changes to help the planet can actually benefit you, if you can be bothered to invest a wee bit of time.

Me too. A light bulb moment, you might say.

Apologies to the admins, no matter how hard you try it still comes back to climate change arguments.

Iain G
21-02-2020, 09:31 PM
Me too. A light bulb moment, you might say.

Apologies to the admins, no matter how hard you try it still comes back to climate change arguments.

Certainly a bulb moment! And with online compare sites for your electricity provider who even do the switch for you there are no excuses to not at least investigating a renewables provider.

Oh and, ummm, is Jackson fit for the weekend? (Keeping this relevant and off the holy ground!)

Jones28
21-02-2020, 09:47 PM

Once again PB, you get it spot on.

fishybeaver
21-02-2020, 10:05 PM

Do you buy bags of sand more often than you buy something which you could easily manage to carry online?
Do you walk to the take away to save nasty cars having to deliver to your house?
Would you pay more for items which come from countries less polluting than other?
I suspect there is massive double standards!!

hibee-boys
22-02-2020, 06:38 AM
All for playing our part and leading by example on the 'greener' approach.....but, I'm hoping he's just keeping his powder dry on the big plans! Not sure the introduction of veggie pies and paper straws will have the swithering season ticket holders rushing to renew come April🤔

hibsbollah
22-02-2020, 06:39 AM
There's two recent threads on here, both 100% Hibs content, about a player signing for the women's team and an environmental project the club is promoting. Both unequivocally good things.

But they've both degenerated into multipage slanging matches, driven by the usual suspects who seem to have a political angle in disliking both initiatives. It's trolling, its becoming commonplace on here and is making this forum a less interesting place to spend time.

green day
22-02-2020, 07:06 AM
There's two recent threads on here, both 100% Hibs content, about a player signing for the women's team and an environmental project the club is promoting. Both unequivocally good things.

But they've both degenerated into multipage slanging matches, driven by the usual suspects who seem to have a political angle in disliking both initiatives. It's trolling, its becoming commonplace on here and is making this forum a less interesting place to spend time.

Correct.

It is important that - when we get these major plans announced via the AGM - that they are not derailed by uninformed rubbish being repeated as fact by people who "seem" to hate everything that comes out of our board, CEO etc.

Lets not have a repeat of the lies that were spread when HSL was in its infancy - it never recovered from that.

hibee-boys
22-02-2020, 07:14 AM
You only have to look at the shift towards better enviromental/social policy and governance standards in the corporate world as evidence of the recognised 'bottom line' value of this approach in todays world.

Am I excited by us taking a greener approach or interested in our ladies team.....not really. However, I am aware that many of our supporters are, or will be, along with future prospective supporters/investors/sponsors and that is what 'could' ultimately benefit our club/brand....football team.

WhileTheChief..
22-02-2020, 07:44 AM

Erm, no.

Some folk are discussing the points. You don’t get to decide if the topics being discussed are good or bad things, that’s up to the individual posters on this site.

You say slanging match, I say discussion.

Usual suspects? why not just take it up with them? You know, discuss their point?

Some could argue that your post here is trolling!

danhibees1875
22-02-2020, 07:51 AM
We're making a conscious effort to consume cleaner energy, have less single use plastics stuck in the environmental cycle, less litter around our communities, and more varied and healthy options for food at the football.

There's no ensuing hardship here, it's just making things better.

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Do you buy bags of sand more often than you buy something which you could easily manage to carry online?
Do you walk to the take away to save nasty cars having to deliver to your house?
Would you pay more for items which come from countries less polluting than other?

Does your post have anything to do with Hibs?

No.

If you want to discuss climate change, or recycling why don't you start a new thread on the Holy Ground.

Does the Hibs green initiative affect you that much that you feel so strongly that you have to argue with everyone that thinks it is a worth while move?

You are so obtuse I can't figure out what you're angle is.

hibsbollah
22-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Erm, no.

Some folk are discussing the points. You don’t get to decide if the topics being discussed are good or bad things, that’s up to the individual posters on this site.

You say slanging match, I say discussion.

Usual suspects? why not just take it up with them? You know, discuss their point?

Some could argue that your post here is trolling!

Some could argue that, yes.
It doesn't make it any less stupid.

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 08:49 AM
Some could argue that, yes.
It doesn't make it any less stupid.

For troll read bot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51595285

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51595285)

hibsbollah
22-02-2020, 08:56 AM
For troll read bot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51595285

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51595285)

Are you saying 'While the Chief' is a bot?
Do bots come on and deny they are bots?
We are about to find out :agree:

jacomo
22-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Not everyone on here lives in Edinburgh, or even a town. My nearest shop is 2 miles away. That's any shop. And it sells wooly jumpers and shortbread.

My local authority where I live is currently trying to reduce car use and increase things like walking and cycling.

And - without fail - there is always some tool who says the whole thing can’t work because they personally have to take their wheelchair bound 90 year old granny with them on every single trip.

I have lost patience with these people.

Jones28
22-02-2020, 09:28 AM

Of course there are double standards, you still have to go to a shop, travel, live. The individual makes what effort they can but still has to buy food and use their car. You can drive economically and do fewer miles where you can but if you live in the sticks you have to drive.

This should be moved to the HG

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 09:31 AM
My local authority where I live is currently trying to reduce car use and increase things like walking and cycling.

And - without fail - there is always some tool who says the whole thing can’t work because they personally have to take their wheelchair bound 90 year old granny with them on every single trip.

I have lost patience with these people.

I would like to use my bike more, unfortunately the topography combined with my advancing years makes it difficult. That 2 miles to the woolly jumper shop is all downhill, meaning the return journey is all uphill.

I've calculated it as a gradient of 7.7%

Eyrie
22-02-2020, 09:48 AM
We're making a conscious effort to consume cleaner energy, have less single use plastics stuck in the environmental cycle, less litter around our communities, and more varied and healthy options for food at the football.

There's no ensuing hardship here, it's just making things better.

Thank you.

I was looking for that last night and couldn't find it.

Keith_M
22-02-2020, 09:55 AM
When RG was thinking up this PR exercise, he didn't exactly have to put a lot of thought into it.

"OK, y'all. What're we gonna do to pretend to care about the environment and such. Any thoughts?".

"Well, Mr G, we're called the Hi-bees, so something that takes our nickname into account. Oh and some people think you're Paddington Bear, and he loves honey, so......"

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ7DIepb1OXwnef9GOW-ia3DBZbm1z-MO6AlQc2oyWdP690yASU

Eyrie
22-02-2020, 09:57 AM

Think on it this way (football content) -

If you starting singing in support of the team this afternoon, it will have no impact so why bother? However if everyone took that view then there would be no backing for the team.

But if a large number of fans are singing, then the collective singing is a boost to the team. To achieve that takes each individual fan to make a personal decision to join in. And of course each one that does sets a positive example to everyone else.

It's the same with carbon emissions. A small country like ours doing something will have negligible impact at a global level, but if a number of small countries like Scotland take steps then the cumulative effect is beneficial and it enables us to ask the bigger polluters to get their act together.

neil7908
22-02-2020, 10:00 AM
I would like to use my bike more, unfortunately the topography combined with my advancing years makes it difficult. That 2 miles to the woolly jumper shop is all downhill, meaning the return journey is all uphill.

Have a look at an ebike. They are great for this kind of journey and not too expensive.

green day
22-02-2020, 10:00 AM

Based on your name, I have cycled to your local from the bottom several times while touring about the area - I can confirm that its a mare of a hill, and one I couldnt do now :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 10:21 AM
When RG was thinking up this PR exercise, he didn't exactly have to put a lot of thought into it.

"OK, y'all. What're we gonna do to pretend to care about the environment and such. Any thoughts?".

"Well, Mr G, we're called the Hi-bees, so something that takes our nickname into account. Oh and some people think you're Paddington Bear, and he loves honey, so......"

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ7DIepb1OXwnef9GOW-ia3DBZbm1z-MO6AlQc2oyWdP690yASU
You were doing well until Paddington. He liked marmalade. You then have an image of pooh who is a fan of hunny.

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Based on your name, I have cycled to your local from the bottom several times while touring about the area - I can confirm that its a mare of a hill, and one I couldnt do now :greengrin

Well, my local is about the half way point of my journey. 🤔😊

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Think on it this way (football content) -

If you starting singing in support of the team this afternoon, it will have no impact so why bother? However if everyone took that view then there would be no backing for the team.

But if a large number of fans are singing, then the collective singing is a boost to the team. To achieve that takes each individual fan to make a personal decision to join in. And of course each one that does sets a positive example to everyone else.

It's the same with carbon emissions. A small country like ours doing something will have negligible impact at a global level, but if a number of small countries like Scotland take steps then the cumulative effect is beneficial and it enables us to ask the bigger polluters to get their act together.

👍. Brilliant

Keith_M
22-02-2020, 10:25 AM
You were doing well until Paddington. He liked marmalade. You then have an image of pooh who is a fan of hunny.

Och it's a Bear, stop being fussy

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Of course there are double standards, you still have to go to a shop, travel, live. The individual makes what effort they can but still has to buy food and use their car. You can drive economically and do fewer miles where you can but if you live in the sticks you have to drive.

This should be moved to the HG

I'm just back from the supermarket, 2 miles each way. Weight of shopping is 7.85kg. Yes I took the car, my arms would have dropped off otherwise. At least I was able to freewheel down the road. 😉

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Och it's a Bear, stop being fussy

🐻👍😁

green day
22-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Well, my local is about the half way point of my journey. 🤔😊

Ah, didnt realise you were further up - Edradour way presumably?

Lovely part of the world, and - as mentioned before, I have cycled it a lot.

You need good legs though !!!

Not So Young
22-02-2020, 12:20 PM

This is where I am

Anything to help tackle climate change is worthwhile however alot of initiatives are not much more than PR exercises.

If the Club want to produce good PR stories and do some good I would rather they became an accredited Living Wage Employer.

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2020, 12:33 PM
This is where I am

Anything to help tackle climate change is worthwhile however alot of initiatives are not much more than PR exercises.

If the Club want to produce good PR stories and do some good I would rather they became an accredited Living Wage Employer.

https://news.stv.tv/east-central/1344342-football-boss-criticises-councillor-for-online-petition?top

(https://news.stv.tv/east-central/1344342-football-boss-criticises-councillor-for-online-petition?top)

green day
22-02-2020, 12:42 PM
https://news.stv.tv/east-central/1344342-football-boss-criticises-councillor-for-online-petition?top

(https://news.stv.tv/east-central/1344342-football-boss-criticises-councillor-for-online-petition?top)

I had forgotten about that tweet :greengrin

This was a councillor starting a mini campaign on the back of Hearts (as usual) trumpeting how they are so good and doing something amazing..........which it turns out we also do.

He was completely owned by LD though:thumbsup:

Lago
22-02-2020, 12:48 PM
:aok:
This is where I am

Not So Young
23-02-2020, 01:52 PM

Good. I stand corrected

I don't understand the decision not to be accredited though

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Good. I stand corrected

I don't understand the decision not to be accredited though
From what was said there hasn't been a decision to not be accredited, just that they haven't done it yet.

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 02:09 PM
This is where I am

If the Club want to produce good PR stories and do some good I would rather they became an accredited Living Wage Employer.Somewhere around 300k people visit Easter Road annually. If the products that are sold, how they are packaged and how waste is disposed of is part of this initiative then surely it's not just a PR exercise?

If Hibs try to change attitudes among the fan base and local community by leading by example then what's to criticise?

Why not be supportive of this initiative instead of being cynical?

Jones28
23-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Somewhere around 300k people visit Easter Road annually. If the products that are sold, how they are packaged and how waste is disposed of is part of this initiative then surely it's not just a PR exercise?

If Hibs try to change attitudes among the fan base and local community by leading by example then what's to criticise?

Why not be supportive of this initiative instead of being cynical?

I made a similar point earlier in the thread, I don’t get why people start at cynicism and have to be convinced things are good.

Bishop Hibee
23-02-2020, 02:33 PM
To improve our green credentials let’s get rid of the plastic sachets of sauce and replace them with refillable containers. Also start using vegware or similar for the hot drinks. Give a discount for anyone bringing their own reusable drinks cup. Small steps but all the small steps add up and they matter..

Moulin Yarns
23-02-2020, 02:42 PM
To improve our green credentials let’s get rid of the plastic sachets of sauce and replace them with refillable containers. Also start using vegware or similar for the hot drinks. Give a discount for anyone bringing their own reusable drinks cup. Small steps but all the small steps add up and they matter..

Oh look!!!

Page 4

Peevemor
25-02-2020, 11:34 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/alison-johnstone-you-dont-have-be-hibs-fan-support-green-issues-1889551

You don’t have to be a Hibs fan to support green issues

People often ask me what is the one thing they should do to save the planet. There is a feeling of helplessness, that if you already cycle and recycle and you don’t take internal flights, then there is nothing to stop the climate crisis that is becoming more and more obvious to us all.

The truth is that this is not simply about lifestyle choices, it is about leadership, especially when the empirical scientific evidence tells us we have ten years to turn this around.

The climate emergency has not been caused by ordinary people. It is governments and corporations that need to act. In fact, just 100 companies have been the source of more than 70 per cent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions since 1988.

They need to shift investment from the things that are causing the most damage to our planet and towards the things that make up the solution.

That is why I was *absolutely thrilled when Hibs announced that the club was stepping up its ambition to be the greenest football club in Scotland.

In its statement the club says it takes seriously its leadership role for citizens of Leith, citizens of Edinburgh, citizens of Scotland and citizens of the world.

I hadn’t previously been aware that Hibs are third in the UK for *environmental action, after *Forest Green Rovers and Manchester United. It’s fantastic that they want to shout that from the rooftops, because it shows the kind of impressive leadership we need.

This means Hibs already use renewable electricity and take a lead on recycling, but they have pledged to go further. They will be removing all single use plastics from the stadium’s catering kiosks, switching their car fleet to electric vehicles and introducing vegan food to its matchday kiosks.

They are looking at harvesting rainwater, beekeeping and opening community gardens at the training facilities in East Lothian.

The club will also work in partnership with other organisations including small local businesses to lead change, and make low carbon choices easier for supporters. As I said, this is about leadership, not individual lifestyle choices.

Football clubs are in the *physical and metaphorical hearts of our communities. Some, like Hibs, have a global following. I remember the incredible scenes as 250,000 people took to the streets to celebrate their cup win.

Hibs chairman Ronald Gordon and chief executive Leanne Dempster should be congratulated for using that platform to spread understanding that we need to go further if we are to provide an emergency response to the climate crisis.

If Edinburgh is going to reach the aim of becoming carbon neutral by 2030, then other institutions in the city must take note of what Hibs are doing and match their *ambition. Furthermore, I hope other football clubs across the country can take inspiration from them, even those who don’t wear green.

Because when it comes to the climate emergency, we’re all on the same side. It is not helpful to think about individual sacrifices that ordinary people have to make, when strong leadership can build a better Scotland for all of us, whatever team you support.

Alison Johnstone is a Green MSP for Lothian.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2020, 04:53 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/alison-johnstone-you-dont-have-be-hibs-fan-support-green-issues-1889551

That's quite an inspirational read.