PDA

View Full Version : Finishing 3rd

Unseen work
20-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Or 4th is something most fans want at the start of the season us to achieve or certainly be challenging for.

However, having just read an article on Edinburgh Evening News i was surprised to see it’s now 15 years since we finishing 3rd and that was with Tony Mowbray and the golden generation in the 04/05 season. The last time before that was 2000/2001 under McLeish

Since then the following teams have finished 3rd or higher

Aberdeen - 6 times
Hearts - 4 times
Motherwell - 4 times
ICT - once
Kilmarnock - once
St Johnstone - once
Dundee United - once

In the last 15 years we’ve only managed to be in the top 4 twice, under Hughes in 2009/10 and Lennon 2017/18.

To me it shows how poor we’ve been for so long, especially pre relegation. Hopefully now with Ross in charge we can have some consistency in achieving top 3 status and really kick on.

cocteautwin
20-02-2020, 11:07 AM
We’re the 5th best funded side in the league so anything above that would always be a bonus. It’s just a pity we are more regularly below 5th. Painful in fact. 20 years of diverting funds to infrastructure rather than the team must play a big part in our underachieving although one would hope one day the investment will pay off. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH1875
20-02-2020, 11:23 AM
We’re the 5th best funded side in the league so anything above that would always be a bonus. It’s just a pity we are more regularly below 5th. Painful in fact. 20 years of diverting funds to infrastructure rather than the team must play a big part in our underachieving although one would hope one day the investment will pay off. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger than Motherwells, Kilmarnocks, ICTs and Utd though.

Bobby's Cinema
20-02-2020, 11:52 AM
not great stats. But you can also look and say that we've qualified for Europe 9 times during that period and that is ultimately what we start the season aiming for.
Pretty good going

G B Young
20-02-2020, 12:02 PM
Or 4th is something most fans want at the start of the season us to achieve or certainly be challenging for.

However, having just read an article on Edinburgh Evening News i was surprised to see it’s now 15 years since we finishing 3rd and that was with Tony Mowbray and the golden generation in the 04/05 season. The last time before that was 2000/2001 under McLeish

Aberdeen - 6 times
Hearts - 4 times
Motherwell - 4 times
ICT - once
Kilmarnock - once
St Johnstone - once
Dundee United - once

In the last 15 years we’ve only managed to be in the top 4 twice, under Hughes in 2009/10 and Lennon 2017/18.

To me it shows how poor we’ve been for so long, especially pre relegation. Hopefully now with Ross in charge we can have some consistency in achieving top 3 status and really kick on.

Pretty sure we finished fourth in Mowbray's second season, 2005/06. Probably could have been third again but that was the season Romanov started to (supposedly) pump money into Hearts.

We've also had three seasons in the Championship during that time. Not saying our record's great, but add in a couple of cup wins and, as somebody else has pointed out, a number of European qualifications, and it's not altogether bleak.

The Lennon season when we had a shout at second place was the first time since the 70s that I've really had a sense that this club could do so much more in terms of our league performance, and as you say hopefully that sort of mentality is starting to return under Ross.

sean04
20-02-2020, 12:22 PM
Just take 1 game at a time. Tough games against Livingston and Aberdeen. 6 pointers. Next 4 games are massive for us, 4 wins and we’re flying

Sir David Gray
20-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Just take 1 game at a time. Tough games against Livingston and Aberdeen. 6 pointers. Next 4 games are massive for us, 4 wins and we’re flying

I think we'll probably need about 8 or 9 wins to get 3rd.

With just 11 games left I'd say it's unlikely.

basehibby
20-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Hibs have underperformed horrendously in the league for almost my entire football supporting lifetime (since the late 70s). The last 15 years have continued that poor run of form and how anyone can argue the toss over that is beyond me. The period since our cup win HAS seen a bit of an upturn but that's yet to be translated into convincing league finishes. Hopefully now with a good manager in place and all infrastructure bought and paid for we kick on and make those stats more palatable reading.

Unseen work
20-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Pretty sure we finished fourth in Mowbray's second season, 2005/06. Probably could have been third again but that was the season Romanov started to (supposedly) pump money into Hearts.

We've also had three seasons in the Championship during that time. Not saying our record's great, but add in a couple of cup wins and, as somebody else has pointed out, a number of European qualifications, and it's not altogether bleak.

The Lennon season when we had a shout at second place was the first time since the 70s that I've really had a sense that this club could do so much more in terms of our league performance, and as you say hopefully that sort of mentality is starting to return under Ross.

As I say I got it from the EEN and haven’t double checked it myself.

Re the championship, we were awful and were rightly relegated. We can’t just ignore that or take it out of the equation when looking at our success over the past 15 or so years.

ABZHFC
20-02-2020, 01:08 PM
I think we'll probably need about 8 or 9 wins to get 3rd.

With just 11 games left I'd say it's unlikely.

Think you're overestimating the quality of this league outwith the Old Firm, I reckon 6-7 wins would comfortably do it

Sir David Gray
20-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Think you're overestimating the quality of this league outwith the Old Firm, I reckon 6-7 wins would comfortably do it

Kilmarnock had 19 wins last season and they only finished 3rd on goal difference.

Usually around 63-67 points is needed to finish 3rd, considering we're on 36 points just now I'd say we're likely to need more than 6 or 7 wins.

We need two wins just to overtake Aberdeen and three wins to overtake Motherwell if they win their game in hand.

davhibby
20-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Kilmarnock had 19 wins last season and they only finished 3rd on goal difference.

Usually around 63-67 points is needed to finish 3rd, considering we're on 36 points just now I'd say we're likely to need more than 6 or 7 wins.

We need two wins just to overtake Aberdeen and three wins to overtake Motherwell if they win their game in hand.

There was an article in the BBC that said that this season it’s looking like 60 will get 3rd. I think the poster you’re replying to was meaning this season specifically. If we’d been averaging as many points all season as we have since Hecky left we’d be strolling it to 3rd imo

Jack Hackett
20-02-2020, 07:24 PM

Too many numbers in there... I'll just go with blind faith :aok:

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2020, 07:57 PM

Aberdeen - 6 times
Hearts - 4 times
Motherwell - 4 times
ICT - once
Kilmarnock - once
St Johnstone - once
Dundee United - once

One was clueless and spoke funny, the other a bully. Now if we could only get someone with both these qualities, some of the posters on here would explode. :faf: