PDA

View Full Version : Michael Stewart and the BBC

Jim44
18-02-2020, 05:11 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/future-michael-stewart-bbc-hangs-balance-broadcaster-reveals-ongoing-talks-1848257

Looks like MS has been given the bum’s rush from the BBC. Appalling, but understandable because they are distraught that they have to appear to keep up their boycott of Rangers or lose face. Given that Stewart is a far superior worker for the Beeb, in comparison to Gollum ( the culprit according to Rangers) I can’t understand why they don’t sack Gollum and kiss and make up with Rangers.

Sir David Gray
18-02-2020, 05:15 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/future-michael-stewart-bbc-hangs-balance-broadcaster-reveals-ongoing-talks-1848257

Looks like MS has been given the bum’s rush from the BBC. Appalling, but understandable because they are distraught that they have to appear to keep up their boycott of Rangers or lose face. Given that Stewart is a far superior worker for the Beeb, in comparison to Gollum ( the culprit according to Rangers) I can’t understand why they don’t sack Gollum and kiss and make up with Rangers.

Meanwhile they're happy to employ Malky Mackay on Sunday night.

Iggy Pope
18-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Keeping up their boycott would surely thrive on Stewart staying put. Who the **** is Gollum?

Kato
18-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Sportsound "editorial guidelines" = "dinny slate Ranjurs or anybody employed by Ranjurs".

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
18-02-2020, 05:19 PM

You couldn’t make it up.

Since452
18-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Thought the same. Absolute hypocrites.

Jim44
18-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Keeping up their boycott would surely thrive on Stewart staying put. Who the **** is Gollum?

Keep up. Gollum is the Rangers name for Chris McLaughlin, who is at the centre of the BBC/Rangers conflict. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Yeah who IS Gollum?

Kudos to Michael Stewart for calling out the Hun Bully

Still waiting on Sportscene to acknowledge Michael Stewart is missing and why?

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2020, 05:24 PM
[/B]
Keep up. Gollum is the Rangers name for Chris McLaughlin, who is at the centre of the BBC/Rangers conflict. :greengrin

Precious!

Cataplana
I suspect a guarantee that he will not defame anybody on air in future will suffice. I also suspect it won't be forthcoming.

Dalianwanda

So the guidelines are "dont upset The Rangers"....another reason not to pay a license fee

Carheenlea
18-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Yeah who IS Gollum?

Both presenters on “Off the Ball” have thrown in jokes of the situation - they’ll probably be getting a reminder of their expected conduct when broadcasting on the BBC as well.

KingPat4
18-02-2020, 05:32 PM

He reminds me of Jack in Still Game.

GordonHFC
18-02-2020, 05:41 PM
Someone should ask the BBC why he was allowed to rip the pish out of Levein on numerous occasions but when it comes to anything 'The Rangers' it becomes off topic?

Keith_M
18-02-2020, 05:55 PM
He reminds me of Jack in Still Game.

How dare you!

Jack would never stoop as low as Mad Malky. Tam, mibbe, but no Jack.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Wonder if folks would take (non-virtual) action in support of MS? Or is it just virtual bumping of gums signifying nothing?

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Yeah who IS Gollum?

They have tonight.

Billy Whizz
18-02-2020, 06:05 PM
They have tonight.

What did they say

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 06:07 PM
What did they say

A BBC spokesperson said: "Our editorial guidelines were not adhered to on Sportsound and we’re still in discussions to ensure there’s no repeat of that in future.

"While those discussions continue, Michael Stewart will not appear on any of our sports programmes."

KingPat4
18-02-2020, 06:09 PM
How dare you!

Jack would never stoop as low as Mad Malky. Tam, mibbe, but no Jack.

He wid! Mind he barred Victor from his ain pub!

Ozyhibby
18-02-2020, 06:13 PM
When the Tories start to shut down the BBC by getting rid of the license fee I doubt I’m going to do much more than shrug my shoulders. Their approach to the Rangers scandal and the 2014 referendum means I don’t really care what happens to it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Badger
18-02-2020, 06:13 PM
A BBC spokesperson said: "Our editorial guidelines were not adhered to on Sportsound and we’re still in discussions to ensure there’s no repeat of that in future.

"While those discussions continue, Michael Stewart will not appear on any of our sports programmes."

so they are trying to get Michael Stewart to agree never to say anything bad about The Rangers or Traynor again, and he’s refusing to do so?? Bit of an impasse.

Carheenlea
18-02-2020, 06:15 PM

When you hear that it doesn’t sound like Michael Stewart will be returning to the BBC, and unlikely he would wish to either after a public dressing down.

Beefster
18-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Someone should ask the BBC why he was allowed to rip the pish out of Levein on numerous occasions but when it comes to anything 'The Rangers' it becomes off topic?

Did he ever state that Levein was a 'dangerous character' and a 'bully'? I like Stewart as a pundit and dislike Traynor a lot. A lot of what Stewart said was fair enough but there's no doubt that he went too far a couple of times.

I don't quite get why everyone is getting so exercised about this tbh. Stewart opened the BBC up to legal action and the BBC have clamped down on the risk of it happening again. I'm inclined to think that anyone saying the same words on the BBC about another person without the right of reply would get in deep ****.

Ozyhibby
18-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Did he ever state that Levein was a 'dangerous character' and a 'bully'? I like Stewart as a pundit and dislike Traynor a lot. A lot of what Stewart said was fair enough but there's no doubt that he went too far a couple of times.

I don't quite get why everyone is getting so exercised about this tbh. Stewart opened the BBC up to legal action and the BBC have clamped down on the risk of it happening again. I'm inclined to think that anyone saying the same words on the BBC about another person without the right of reply would get in deep ****.

Has there been legal action? I don’t think he did leave them open to it because Traynor could not afford to go to court. The discovery would hurt him and Sevco.

KingPat4
18-02-2020, 06:22 PM
When the Tories start to shut down the BBC by getting rid of the license fee I doubt I’m going to do much more than shrug my shoulders. Their approach to the Rangers scandal and the 2014 referendum means I don’t really care what happens to it now.

I wouldn't want to lose all of the BBC, because I think of BBC Scotland as being a seperate entity up here. And a bloody awful one at that. I only started listening to Sportsound again after the MS debacle, but switched off pretty quickly as normal service was resumed.

The bosses in London and Manchester obviously don't care what goes on up here and that's reflected in the poor and amateurish quality of it's output, across all categories, not just sport.

Bobby's Cinema
18-02-2020, 06:29 PM
I’m not surprised talks aren’t ongoing.

Quotes there like they are talking to a naughty school boy, if I was him I’d be telling them to **** it aswell

Beefster
18-02-2020, 06:30 PM
Has there been legal action? I don’t think he did leave them open to it because Traynor could not afford to go to court. The discovery would hurt him and Sevco.

No idea. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a threat of legal action, hence the profuse public apology. The BBC is unlikely to make a judgement on whether they can afford to defame someone or not, based on whether some dodgy stuff might be revealed in court. FWIW there's also Ofcom so it needn't necessarily end up in court.

Since452
18-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Stewart is the only thing that makes that RanTic highlights show worth watching

Ozyhibby
18-02-2020, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't want to lose all of the BBC, because I think of BBC Scotland as being a seperate entity up here. And a bloody awful one at that. I only started listening to Sportsound again after the MS debacle, but switched off pretty quickly as normal service was resumed.

The bosses in London and Manchester obviously don't care what goes on up here and that's reflected in the poor and amateurish quality of it's output, across all categories, not just sport.

The BBC only spends a small fraction of the money it raises in Scotland locally. Most of the money stays in London.

Joe6-2
18-02-2020, 06:39 PM
Yeah who IS Gollum?

Don’t hold your breath

Edit: just read post on acknowledgement

Green Badger
18-02-2020, 06:47 PM
The BBC only spends a small fraction of the money it raises in Scotland locally. Most of the money stays in London.

Not sure that’s true. Think the majority is spent here, albeit lower in percentage terms than Wales or NI.

Beefster
18-02-2020, 06:49 PM

It's somewhere in the region of 70-80%. Should be more but hardly a 'small fraction'.

Radium
18-02-2020, 06:52 PM

BBC issued an apology the following night and stated that people had been reminded of the standards.

Since then they have made the choice not to use MS.

Whoever conceived the program the night that MS accused JT of manipulating the stories and being a dangerous character needs to look at themselves. Maybe they didn’t think anyone was clued up enough suggest that JT was manipulating the narrative around the Morellos stories but they should have been.

You’re right, it went too far but the apology covered that.

What is happening now is so similar to what was done to Jim Spence for referring to TRFC as the club that died. No doubt, similarly to JS, TRFC fans will have inundated the BBC with complaints.

Meanwhile the program is poorer: unless you want to listen to Derek Ferguson insinuate that LG is a nasty piece of work because he kicked his laddie in a game earlier in the season and did it again at Hamilton.

MS often provides a fans view, not always easy listening when it is your team, but more often than not pretty close to the mark. We now have Chick Young back

Next few weeks will be interesting. Business end of the season brings out the worst in many fans ... but it will only ever be a minority of fans that indulge in racist/ sectarian chants.

Iggy Pope
18-02-2020, 06:53 PM
[/B]

Call him by his name then. Better effect.

Iggy Pope
18-02-2020, 06:56 PM
BBC issued an apology the following night and stated that people had been reminded of the standards.

Since then they have made the choice not to use MS.

Whoever conceived the program the night that MS accused JT of manipulating the stories and being a dangerous character needs to look at themselves. Maybe they didn’t think anyone was clued up enough suggest that JT was manipulating the narrative around the Morellos stories but they should have been.

You’re right, it went too far but the apology covered that.

What is happening now is so similar to what was done to Jim Spence for referring to TRFC as the club that died. No doubt, similarly to JS, TRFC fans will have inundated the BBC with complaints.

Meanwhile the program is poorer: unless you want to listen to Derek Ferguson insinuate that LG is a nasty piece of work because he kicked his laddie in a game earlier in the season and did it again at Hamilton.

MS often provides a fans view, not always easy listening when it is your team, but more often than not pretty close to the mark. We now have Chick Young back

Next few weeks will be interesting. Business end of the season brings out the worst in many fans ... but it will only ever be a minority of fans that indulge in racist/ sectarian chants.

That makes it all sound a bit Bill Grundy. Dirty ****ing rotter.

givescotlandfreedom
19-02-2020, 03:10 AM
Traynor used to rip into people all the time on his phone in.

mjhibby
19-02-2020, 04:04 AM

My Jambo pals are apoplectic about this. Most agree ms is the best around and just see it as and extension of the gfa.Sportscene is becoming unwatchable. Highlights online now for me. Can't take anymore of the bigot bros love in.

Phil MaGlass
19-02-2020, 05:04 AM
Hopefully another broadcaster gets MS, FT EBC

JimBHibees
19-02-2020, 05:42 AM

Absolutely did wonder what has changed.

GibbytheHibby2
19-02-2020, 05:54 AM
I complained to the BBC after a sporstsound in which MS called out the bigotry at The Huns. Derek Ferguson then became an apology sound piece for them calling out all the “good work” they were doing to remove the bigotry and not once acknowledging there is a problem.

The response was that it was DFs personal opinion, not the BBCs so nothing to see here, move on.

So how come the same doesn’t apply to MS? They even stated that it was not necessarily BBCs views on air at the time of MS comments.

Sir David Gray
19-02-2020, 06:29 AM
I complained to the BBC after a sporstsound in which MS called out the bigotry at The Huns. Derek Ferguson then became an apology sound piece for them calling out all the “good work” they were doing to remove the bigotry and not once acknowledging there is a problem.

The response was that it was DFs personal opinion, not the BBCs so nothing to see here, move on.

So how come the same doesn’t apply to MS? They even stated that it was not necessarily BBCs views on air at the time of MS comments.

I think the difference is that you were complaining about something that Derek Ferguson didn't say, whereas this is about something that Michael Stewart did say and which could be considered slanderous.

green day
19-02-2020, 07:39 AM
I think the difference is that you were complaining about something that Derek Ferguson didn't say, whereas this is about something that Michael Stewart did say and which could be considered slanderous.

Tam Cowan said on Saturday that he didnt believe a word of what Craig Whyte had said in their interview, and "why would anyone believe what that man said"............i.e. inferring he is a liar.

Thats apparently ok, but saying a man is dangerous isnt and breaks BBC guidelines?????

jacomo
19-02-2020, 08:22 AM

Seem to remember him saying all sorts of things about Hibs/Petrie when trying to force through the transfer of Brown and Thomson to Rangers.

No right of reply for us.

Of course that was ok...

Ronniekirk
19-02-2020, 08:22 AM

He was hopeless

Lago
19-02-2020, 10:08 AM
He was hopeless

Wasn't he just, in conjunction with Steven Thomson the program was boredom central. 😴

Cataplana
19-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Michael Stewart said something defamatory on air, and the BBC's lawyers accepted an apology was required. Until Michael demonstrates that he knows where the legal boundaries are, it won't be possible to have him back on the show.

Whether or not Traynor is a toley, or Derek Ferguson made a fool of himself is neither here nor there. Michael got it wrong, until he shows he won't do it again the BBC are not going to risk being taken to court.

Hibbyradge
19-02-2020, 11:31 AM
Michael Stewart said something defamatory on air, and the BBC's lawyers accepted an apology was required. Until Michael demonstrates that he knows where the legal boundaries are, it won't be possible to have him back on the show.

Whether or not Traynor is a toley, or Derek Ferguson made a fool of himself is neither here nor there. Michael got it wrong, until he shows he won't do it again the BBC are not going to risk being taken to court.

Correct.

It's not like Have I got news for you where they record everything so that the lawyers can approve or delete the panelists comments before they're aired.

It's a live show so the contributors need to be careful when making allegations about individuals even if we think they're odious.

The ball is firmly in Michael's court and it looks like a solution is there if he wants to take it.

Alex Trager
19-02-2020, 11:33 AM
[/B]

I’ve been told by a rangers mate that he was writing ‘fake news’ about them so they revoked his pass. He could pay for his pass should he like to continue to attend.
But the BBC have stood by him and the rest of the reporters don’t attend.

Something like that

Jones28
19-02-2020, 11:46 AM
I turned off when I saw that McKay was given a role, it’s ridiculous enough that this guy has such high office within the SFA, but to have him pumped into the living rooms of the population is beyond the pale.

BBC Scotland’s sports department is becoming a parody of itself.

Centre Hawf
19-02-2020, 11:50 AM
I like Mikey Stewart and I think he's the best pundit in the country probably at this point. But while I don't think he's wrong in what he said I think he needs to learn to be cuter about how he goes about it.

JeMeSouviens
19-02-2020, 11:53 AM
I’ve been told by a rangers mate that he was writing ‘fake news’ about them so they revoked his pass. He could pay for his pass should he like to continue to attend.
But the BBC have stood by him and the rest of the reporters don’t attend.

Something like that

Fake news my arse. He reported arrests for sectarian chants when the cuddly Sevconians were at ER and beat us 6-2 in the Petrofac cup. They banned Spiers for reporting on sectarianism as well.

Rumble de Thump
19-02-2020, 11:57 AM

There were numerous defences for what Michael Stewart said and the BBC lawyers would have been able to deal with it easily. Sevco would rather have control over the BBC's output than attempt legal action that would likely fail, and the BBC would rather meekly issue an apology and sideline a commentator than irritate Sevco and its supporters.

JeMeSouviens
19-02-2020, 11:58 AM
This is the report that kicked it off:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33665555

loanheadhibby
19-02-2020, 12:02 PM
I am currently undertaking a 1 man boycott of Sportsound. I kind of like Mickey Stewart. Don't agree with everything he says but he is worth listening too.

I started having my doubts about Sportsound when I heard a debate between MS, Derek Ferguson and Billiy Dodds. If I recollect, MS was saying there were connotations to Sevco fans wearing orange colours to games but DF/BD (without any hint of shame or irony) where saying it was because they had a couple of dutch players in their team. Whilst it was a heated debate, I did feel there was an undertone against MS.

KeithTheHibby
19-02-2020, 12:08 PM
Michael Stewart is destined for bigger than BBC Scotland.

This 'ban' will probably help his career rather than hinder it.

Hibbyradge
19-02-2020, 12:11 PM
There were numerous defences for what Michael Stewart said and the BBC lawyers would have been able to deal with it easily. Sevco would rather have control over the BBC's output than attempt legal action that would likely fail, and the BBC would rather meekly issue an apology and sideline a commentator than irritate Sevco and its supporters.

The BBC can't allow people to be defamed on their shows.

Saying that the BBCs lawyers could deal with it easily is a guess. It's as likely that it was their lawyers who advised that an apology was required. We don't know.

We also don't know what evidence Michael Stewart has that Traynor deliberately "stokes division and sets fires" so he can benefit financially from resolving those issues, but that's a serious allegation.

If it wasn't Traynor who leaked the Morelos brakes story, and that's entirely possible, then the BBCs lawyers would be goosed. Traynor would undoubtedly argue that he wasn't responsible in any case.

degenerated
19-02-2020, 12:21 PM
It's somewhere in the region of 70-80%. Should be more but hardly a 'small fraction'.

The last i saw it was 55% in Scotland compared to 95% in Wales and 75% in N. Ireland

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15105515.scottish-bbc-licence-fee-money-should-be-spent-in-scotland-say-screen-experts/

The way they calculate it is also disingenuous as well, for instance Question Time is counted as BBC Scotland spend regardless of where it is broadcast from.

Rumble de Thump
19-02-2020, 12:22 PM
The BBC can't allow people to be defamed on their shows.

Saying that the BBCs lawyers could deal with it easily is a guess. It's as likely that it was their lawyers who advised that an apology was required. We don't know.

We also don't know what evidence Michael Stewart has that Traynor deliberately "stokes division and sets fires" so he can benefit financially from resolving those issues, but that's a serious allegation.

If it wasn't Traynor who leaked the Morelos brakes story, and that's entirely possible, then the BBCs lawyers would be goosed. Traynor would undoubtedly argue that he wasn't responsible in any case.

It's not a guess. The legal defences are clear.

Hibbyradge
19-02-2020, 12:30 PM
It's not a guess. The legal defences are clear.

Please explain those defences.

Beefster
19-02-2020, 12:33 PM
The last i saw it was 55% in Scotland compared to 95% in Wales and 75% in N. Ireland

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15105515.scottish-bbc-licence-fee-money-should-be-spent-in-scotland-say-screen-experts/

The way they calculate it is also disingenuous as well, for instance Question Time is counted as BBC Scotland spend regardless of where it is broadcast from.

IIRC, the target is 80% next year. It was something like 69% in 2018. Even at 55%, it's not a 'small fraction' as was claimed.

I don't know the ins and out of Question Time but presumably it's made by a production company based in Scotland.

Betty Boop
19-02-2020, 12:37 PM
Michael Stewart constantly spoke over the top of people on Sportsound. He comes across as very arrogant, as if only his opinion counts.

Cataplana
19-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Michael Stewart constantly spoke over the top of people on Sportsound. He comes across as very arrogant, as if only his opinion counts.

Not necessarily a bad thing, Hansen was much the same on MOTD. It seems to me though that Michael is not too good at admitting mistakes.

Ozyhibby
19-02-2020, 02:08 PM
IIRC, the target is 80% next year. It was something like 69% in 2018. Even at 55%, it's not a 'small fraction' as was claimed.

I don't know the ins and out of Question Time but presumably it's made by a production company based in Scotland.

I remember reading an article about a BBC production that was made in Wales. The content was a drama set in England and all the staff and crew were English or Welsh but because the director was born in Scotland but had not lived here since childhood, the BBC counted as a Scottish production. They got their knuckles wrapped for that one I believe but it shows the lengths they will go to to make out Scotland is getting its fair share.

Beefster
19-02-2020, 05:10 PM
I remember reading an article about a BBC production that was made in Wales. The content was a drama set in England and all the staff and crew were English or Welsh but because the director was born in Scotland but had not lived here since childhood, the BBC counted as a Scottish production. They got their knuckles wrapped for that one I believe but it shows the lengths they will go to to make out Scotland is getting its fair share.

Got a link?

Is It On....
19-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Or Billy Dodds who shamelessly admitted live on air to singing sectarian songs in the 80s

Is It On....
19-02-2020, 05:20 PM
That makes it all sound a bit Bill Grundy. Dirty ****ing rotter.

That kicked off because he propositioned Siouxsie Soux. Brilliant TV. We just need Traynor to proposition Queen Anne 😂

Cataplana
19-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Or Billy Dodds who shamelessly admitted live on air to singing sectarian songs in the 80s

I'm going to admit it here, and I even did it in the 70s. I am neither ashamed or unashamed.

That kicked off because he propositioned Siouxsie Soux. Brilliant TV. We just need Traynor to proposition Queen Anne ��

I'd love to call him a dirty old pervert, I really would.

Ozyhibby
19-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Got a link?

Nope it was ages ago and it’s really difficult to search for anything with BBC in the search because it just throws up millions of links to BBC articles. It def wasn’t a BBC article I read it in.

Radium
19-02-2020, 08:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, what does MS need to do to demonstrate that he knows where the legal boundaries are?

Been on air with a rival broadcaster since and kept up his social media output without slandering/ libelling anyone.

I have a lot of time for BBC Scotland and it is my default listening in the car/ house. The one thing that they have struggled with in the last decade is sports journalism/ punditry. Match coverage is normally good but give them a discussion around rules of the game/ how clubs are run and they show how little they research anything. Look at tonight, trying to discuss the ICT farce and Willie Miller asks about how the process works. Nobody had an answer but I am sure they all have contact in the SFA but don’t ask. MS at least seemed to take an interest in checking things out before turning up ( per my previous post, he was wrong in what he said, just seems to be getting strung out by someone at the BBC)

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2020, 08:46 PM

That’ll be the same Billy Dodds that said he hadn’t received an EBT when asked the question directly.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-02-2020, 02:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, what does MS need to do to demonstrate that he knows where the legal boundaries are?

Been on air with a rival broadcaster since and kept up his social media output without slandering/ libelling anyone.

I have a lot of time for BBC Scotland and it is my default listening in the car/ house. The one thing that they have struggled with in the last decade is sports journalism/ punditry. Match coverage is normally good but give them a discussion around rules of the game/ how clubs are run and they show how little they research anything. Look at tonight, trying to discuss the ICT farce and Willie Miller asks about how the process works. Nobody had an answer but I am sure they all have contact in the SFA but don’t ask. MS at least seemed to take an interest in checking things out before turning up ( per my previous post, he was wrong in what he said, just seems to be getting strung out by someone at the BBC)

If can only imagine the marked change in editorial stance over the years - blatant repeated focus on controversy, noising up fans (continued stance on Doige for example) has been with a view to the end of the license fee focus on “engagement “ listeners / viewed as they move to a commercial model.

Cataplana
20-02-2020, 05:28 AM

I agree that Stewart is good, but he made a monkey of himself on this one.

If he has held his hands up and explains that he won't call people crooks on air again he might have a chance of getting back

It was such a naive and arrogant outburst that he left Jabba with no option but to ask for an apology.

Beefster
20-02-2020, 05:40 AM
Nope it was ages ago and it’s really difficult to search for anything with BBC in the search because it just throws up millions of links to BBC articles. It def wasn’t a BBC article I read it in.

Fair enough. I not sure I believe the story tbh. Either way, my objection was to you claiming that a majority is equal to a small fraction.

Winston Ingram
20-02-2020, 05:50 AM

Everyone speaks over everyone else on Sportsound. Stewart’s opinion is usually the only one worth listening to.

degenerated
20-02-2020, 06:33 AM
Fair enough. I not sure I believe the story tbh. Either way, my objection was to you claiming that a majority is equal to a small fraction.Not the same case, but heres one where indoor bowling in Norfolk counted as Scottish spend.

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/national/18220713.bowling-norfolk-counts-bbc-quota-scottish-programmes/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Beefster
20-02-2020, 11:18 AM
Not the same case, but heres one where indoor bowling in Norfolk counted as Scottish spend.

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/national/18220713.bowling-norfolk-counts-bbc-quota-scottish-programmes/

Thanks for that. Seems a bit off but if a Scottish production company made it then I suppose it must fit the guidelines.

overdrive
20-02-2020, 12:04 PM
Thanks for that. Seems a bit off but if a Scottish production company made it then I suppose it must fit the guidelines.

I think the issue appears to be that they aren’t really. It’s just shell companies being set up and registered to a Scottish address to meet the requirements whilst the bulk of the work is undertaken elsewhere.

I’m not one of those who think the BBC are anti-Scotland (and I’m definitely no nationalist) but it does seem wrong that they are allowed to do this to meet their Scottish quota.

The 90+2
20-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Chic Young is an utter tosspot - listening to the sportsound cup final broadcast again, every time he interviews anyone he's trying to get the players/stubbsy to say the fans spoiled it, asked if it makes up for promotion and went on to ask stokes about a message to the new celtic manager. He sounds like he absolutely despises us, pure bitterness gritting through his teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZA1ZYnHa8

Kato
20-02-2020, 02:31 PM
Chic Young is an utter tosspot - listening to the sportsound cup final broadcast again, every time he interviews anyone he's trying to get the players/stubbsy to say the fans spoiled it, asked if it makes up for promotion and went on to ask stokes about a message to the new celtic manager. He sounds like he absolutely despises us, pure bitterness gritting through his teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZA1ZYnHa8Brilliant isn't it.

Eyrie
20-02-2020, 07:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZA1ZYnHa8

Young was just bitter that his team lost.

20-02-2020, 07:17 PM
This is the report that kicked it off:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33665555

First time I've read the actual article. Most of it is just quoting the police and their statement. Presume Rangers claim McLaughlin fabricated the whole thing. Unbelievable.

Ozyhibby
20-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Not the same case, but heres one where indoor bowling in Norfolk counted as Scottish spend.

That’s a good example of the fudging of the figures that is happening. They are def not acting in good faith when this sort of nonsense is happening.

degenerated
20-02-2020, 08:37 PM
That’s a good example of the fudging of the figures that is happening. They are def not acting in good faith when this sort of nonsense is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThey're definitely at it. The production companies are just brass platers.

tonyrougier123
20-02-2020, 09:29 PM
Mikey stewart telling it how it is should be applauded.
The institutions in scottish football is what holds it back from progress and bbc sportsound along with people like traynor hold it back,not move it forward,constantly harking for a west of scotland dominance.
No changes of a positive nature come from those in charge at the sfa either so they are culpable too.get mikey stewart in at the sfa never mind punditry!!

The 90+2
20-02-2020, 11:55 PM
Brilliant isn't it.

Well and truly 😁 off the ball is even better with Cosgrove telling like it is.

Best part of the whole thing is the commentator going “theres even a beach ball on the pitch 😂😂😂😂😂😂”. Aye scrap everything else mate ****in beach ball. Chic young reminding people how much he was there At Wembley when the bar was swung on but it’s a national disgrace because the huns lost. Beach ball, cracks me up every time. Best game ever last win winner pitch invasions horses fighting “there’s even a beach ball on the pitch” 😂😂😂😂

green day
21-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Well and truly 😁 off the ball is even better with Cosgrove telling like it is.

I drove to the 2016 cup final, as my dad was unable to walk far. That meant I was completely sober for the match and we heard all the tear stained nonsense from Tam Cowan in the aftermath.

I have the utmost respect for Stuart Cosgrove telling Tam to pipe down, asking him exactly what they expected Hibs fans to do after all the hurt of 114 years?

Cosgrove questioned what the Huns were doing on the pitch at the time.......as any sensible person would, Cowan blamed it all on our fans.

I have zero time for Cowan after that, the bitter pseudo Jambo / Hun prick that he is.

norhfc
21-02-2020, 07:50 AM
Gary Lineker gets more in wages than the whole of Scottish football gets for coverage by the BBC.
Bottom line.

The Count
21-02-2020, 07:52 AM
I drove to the 2016 cup final, as my dad was unable to walk far. That meant I was completely sober for the match and we heard all the tear stained nonsense from Tam Cowan in the aftermath.

I have the utmost respect for Stuart Cosgrove telling Tam to pipe down, asking him exactly what they expected Hibs fans to do after all the hurt of 114 years?

Cosgrove questioned what the Huns were doing on the pitch at the time.......as any sensible person would, Cowan blamed it all on our fans.

I have zero time for Cowan after that, the bitter pseudo Jambo / Hun prick that he is.

There is one common denominator in all major football violence involving scottish clubs and it aint Hibs.

Jones28
21-02-2020, 07:56 AM

SC is the only person in the Scottish media that I’ve heard asking the right question and that is what were rangers fans doing even hanging around and responding to the provocation?

green day
21-02-2020, 08:59 AM
SC is the only person in the Scottish media that I’ve heard asking the right question and that is what were rangers fans doing even hanging around and responding to the provocation?

Which is exactly the question my old man asked when the bother started on the pitch.

Pitch invasions are part and parcel of joyous football occasions, none more so than ours, they dont need to turn into paggers.

As The Count says above, the Huns seem unable to accept that fact.

Cataplana
21-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Which is exactly the question my old man asked when the bother started on the pitch.

Pitch invasions are part and parcel of joyous football occasions, none more so than ours, they dont need to turn into paggers.

We showed restraint when they invaded the pitch at ER after unexpectedly winning the league. Why wouldn't we.

I remember one of their guys got way carried away with himself, and ran up to the east giving it the GIRFUY. Who wouldn't in those circumstances?

It's their entire holier than thou attitude, backed up by the cringeworthy Chic Young, who was in full pants wetting mode that stuck in my craw. How could anyone come out with the statement they made on that night, without sounding like it was all sour grapes?

Apparently Hibs had not been in touch to apologise. Anybody that knows anything about football would realise that there would not be a single person at Easter Road that could hold a telephone the right way up, that night, let alone apologise.

O'Rourke3
21-02-2020, 11:27 PM

I have zero time for Cowan after that, the bitter pseudo Jambo / Hun prick that he is.This has been done. Both Cosgrove and Cowan confirmed they'd played the contrary card as it was a BBC editorial position. It could just have easily been the other way about with SC arguing and TC defending the Cabbage. Both have admitted this and confirmed that us winning the cup was something appreciated as their own "wee clubs" had done the same. What is broadcast is not necessarily what the broadcaster believes

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
22-02-2020, 05:09 AM
This has been done. Both Cosgrove and Cowan confirmed they'd played the contrary card as it was a BBC editorial position. It could just have easily been the other way about with SC arguing and TC defending the Cabbage. Both have admitted this and confirmed that us winning the cup was something appreciated as their own "wee clubs" had done the same. What is broadcast is not necessarily what the broadcaster believes

You mean the presenters :) we all know what the broadcaster (BBC/editorial team believes )

In all seriousness I did not know that- thanks for sharing.

Sammy7nil
22-02-2020, 07:27 AM

They shouldn't be the pitch is for the players these invasions spoil the good times for thousands. Stay in the stand and take a selfie FFS.

This has been done. Both Cosgrove and Cowan confirmed they'd played the contrary card as it was a BBC editorial position. It could just have easily been the other way about with SC arguing and TC defending the Cabbage. Both have admitted this and confirmed that us winning the cup was something appreciated as their own "wee clubs" had done the same. What is broadcast is not necessarily what the broadcaster believes

I listened to that and don't believe they took opposing views due to BBC editorial rules. Off the ball are petty and I'll informed that is why they get away with a lot of their nonsense. I don't hold it against Tam but don't believe his excuse either.

Cataplana
22-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Reporting Scotland last night bemoaned the fact that the SFA would not provide anyone to comment on Henry McLeish's criticism that they had ignored his report

They had expected Malky MacKay, SFA performance director to comment. He didn't, but still gets a place on Sportscene, where he comments on the game.

They are all up to their necks in it. Glasgow is actually a very small town, at the end of the day.

Ronniekirk
23-02-2020, 04:13 PM
Reporting Scotland last night bemoaned the fact that the SFA would not provide anyone to comment on Henry McLeish's criticism that they had ignored his report

They had expected Malky MacKay, SFA performance director to comment. He didn't, but still gets a place on Sportscene, where he comments on the game.

They are all up to their necks in it. Glasgow is actually a very small town, at the end of the day.

Agree McKay should of been made to account for lack of progress or someone else should of
Speaks volumes they think that’s acceptable
But no one seems able to hold them to account

Ozyhibby
25-02-2020, 04:10 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200225/298b2edb0818a6a969ad38ed2609f3b4.jpg

Well done Michael Stewart for not giving them the apology they were desperate for.

JeMeSouviens
25-02-2020, 04:16 PM

Well done Michael Stewart for not giving them the apology they were desperate for.

I imagine they'll have been waiting for viewer feedback on how dull Malky Mackay and Neil McCann were (very btw) before asking him back.

J-C
25-02-2020, 04:23 PM
No apology but probably been made clear to him to stick to actual facts and not hearsay.

Hibbyradge
25-02-2020, 04:29 PM

Were they after an apology?

I read that they just wanted an undertaking that MS would adhere to their broadcasting guidelines and that's what they've got.

Ozyhibby
25-02-2020, 04:33 PM
Were they after an apology?

I read that they just wanted an undertaking that MS would adhere to their broadcasting guidelines and that's what they've got.

Michael agreed pundits should be forthright and fair? Hardly a climb down by Stewart.

Rumble de Thump
25-02-2020, 04:41 PM
The people running the BBC are very selective with how and when they apply these guidelines of fairness and accuracy.

JohnMcM
25-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Welcome back Michael Stewart, the voice of reason, truth and straight-talking that Scottish Football lacks dreadfully.

Carheenlea
25-02-2020, 04:48 PM
Surprised he is prepared to go back after a public dressing down, but maybe it’s a good earner getting a few slots on Sportsound each week and the weekly Sportscene slot.

Tam Cowan was suspended for a similar length of time after his jokes aimed at women’s football, but he came back and it was soon forgotten about. Be interesting to see how they go about skirting round the next Hun statement with Michael Stewart when it arrives.

Since452
25-02-2020, 05:00 PM
From his interview with Si Ferry, Mickey Stewart sound like he wants to be close to home. Not really surprised he's back working on BBC Scotland. Good wee earner on his doorstep. Delighted he's back. Only thing that makes it worth listening to or watching.

Hibbyradge
25-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Michael agreed pundits should be forthright and fair? Hardly a climb down by Stewart.

I didn't say anything about a climb down.

foxy
26-02-2020, 09:58 AM
A prominent Rangers supporters' group has issued a strongly-worded statement in response to BBC Scotland's decision to reinstate Michael Stewart.

Club 1872 has claimed comments made by the pundit about Ibrox PR chief Jim Traynor "were, in our opinion, a factor in the physical assault on him" adding: "There is a pattern of behaviour with Michael Stewart on any Rangers-related topic and his motivation is abundantly clear to anyone who pays attention.

"Quite simply, Michael Stewart should have been sacked on the spot.

"The decision to reinstate Mr Stewart, and the attempted justification for that reinstatement, makes it clear that under its current leadership BBC Scotland has no intention of ever properly discharging its duty to a significant section of licence fee payers in Scotland.

The former Hearts and Hibs midfielder, who regularly appears as a pundit on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme and on the televised Sportscene, was suspended following comments he made about Traynor on February 3, with Sportsound host Kenny McIntyre reading out an apology during the following day's programming.

The BBC claimed it was discussing the issue with Stewart to ensure "editorial guidelines" were adhered to in future and a statement earlier this week read: "Following Sportsound on Monday February 3 we have clearly explained the BBC editorial guidelines around fairness and accuracy to Michael Stewart.

"We expect our pundits to be forthright, but fair. Michael agrees with this. On that basis Michael is now available for selection for Sportscene and Sportsound.

'Defies belief'

Rangers issued a statement last night to the Scottish Sun newspaper, slamming the lack of "remorse or apology", adding: "It is important to remember that [Michael Stewart] was dismissive of any racist behaviour towards Alfredo Morelos during the last Old Firm match."That the BBC is now happy to allow this contributor a return to their platforms even though he has shown no remorse or offered an apology to Rangers, Alfredo Morelos, or James Traynor, who has been attacked online and also physically, defies belief.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the BBC.

'Ongoing biased coverage'

And now Rangers fans' group Club 1872 has waded into the showdown, hitting out at Stewart's reinstatement and attacking BBC Scotland's "ongoing biased coverage" of the club.The statement continues: "Rangers supporters are correct to mistrust BBC Scotland and it is clear that the organisation is deeply flawed at an institutional level. There is no accountability, no integrity and no responsibility – from senior management all the way down to Mr Stewart’s level.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the BBC."

Hibiza
26-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Keep up the good work Michael.

DaveF
26-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Rangers - just **** off will you. Everyone hates you, so just bugger off back to the 17th century where you belong.

Jones28
26-02-2020, 10:08 AM
A prominent Rangers supporters' group has issued a strongly-worded statement in response to BBC Scotland's decision to reinstate Michael Stewart.

Club 1872 has claimed comments made by the pundit about Ibrox PR chief Jim Traynor "were, in our opinion, a factor in the physical assault on him" adding: "There is a pattern of behaviour with Michael Stewart on any Rangers-related topic and his motivation is abundantly clear to anyone who pays attention.

"The decision to reinstate Mr Stewart, and the attempted justification for that reinstatement, makes it clear that under its current leadership BBC Scotland has no intention of ever properly discharging its duty to a significant section of licence fee payers in Scotland.

The former Hearts and Hibs midfielder, who regularly appears as a pundit on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme and on the televised Sportscene, was suspended following comments he made about Traynor on February 3, with Sportsound host Kenny McIntyre reading out an apology during the following day's programming.

The BBC claimed it was discussing the issue with Stewart to ensure "editorial guidelines" were adhered to in future and a statement earlier this week read: "Following Sportsound on Monday February 3 we have clearly explained the BBC editorial guidelines around fairness and accuracy to Michael Stewart.

"We expect our pundits to be forthright, but fair. Michael agrees with this. On that basis Michael is now available for selection for Sportscene and Sportsound.

'Defies belief'

Rangers issued a statement last night to the Scottish Sun newspaper, slamming the lack of "remorse or apology", adding: "It is important to remember that [Michael Stewart] was dismissive of any racist behaviour towards Alfredo Morelos during the last Old Firm match."That the BBC is now happy to allow this contributor a return to their platforms even though he has shown no remorse or offered an apology to Rangers, Alfredo Morelos, or James Traynor, who has been attacked online and also physically, defies belief.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the BBC.

And now Rangers fans' group Club 1872 has waded into the showdown, hitting out at Stewart's reinstatement and attacking BBC Scotland's "ongoing biased coverage" of the club.The statement continues: "Rangers supporters are correct to mistrust BBC Scotland and it is clear that the organisation is deeply flawed at an institutional level. There is no accountability, no integrity and no responsibility – from senior management all the way down to Mr Stewart’s level.

"In light of this Rangers will not now resume discussions on resolving those issues with the BBC."

Oh will you please just go away you paranoid, sanctimonious fuds.

Itsnoteasy
26-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Rangers - just **** off will you. Everyone hates you, so just bugger off back to the 17th century where you belong.

Your statement is inaccurate Mr Farmer. You missed THE at beginning of sentence.

JeMeSouviens
26-02-2020, 10:11 AM
https://philmacgiollabhain.ie/2020/02/26/mikey-stewart-and-the-bbc/#more-15713

Cataplana
26-02-2020, 10:42 AM
Oh will you please just go away you paranoid, sanctimonious fuds.

You couldn't make these arrogant, yet thin skinned, people up.

Jones28
26-02-2020, 10:47 AM
You couldn't make these arrogant, yet thin skinned, people up.

They genuinely think the place will fall apart without them, it really really won’t.

“Oh no, they’ve withdrawn from discussions with the BBC about shoehorning more coverage of the old firm on to the airwaves”, what a ****ing shame.

In the real world, the BBC do everything they can to appease rangers like some sort of jilted lover, so they can piss of as well.

Saint Hibee
26-02-2020, 10:51 AM
https://philmacgiollabhain.ie/2020/02/26/mikey-stewart-and-the-bbc/#more-15713

I know he’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but this is pretty good.

Cataplana
26-02-2020, 10:53 AM
They genuinely think the place will fall apart without them, it really really won’t.

“Oh no, they’ve withdrawn from discussions with the BBC about shoehorning more coverage of the old firm on to the airwaves”, what a ****ing shame.

In the real world, the BBC do everything they can to appease rangers like some sort of jilted lover, so they can piss of as well.

I heard a good word for this on the radio this morning - fandamentalism. They were talking about Man City fans not accepting their club had done anything wrong, but said it applies to fans of most clubs.

Come to think of it, it doesn't go far enough for the Bears. They are in a league of their own and would probably see being described as fandamentalists as a compliment.

KingPat4
26-02-2020, 11:23 AM
How is the assault on Traynor thing progressing. Any eye witnesses come forward? Anything from the police?

If there has, then I've missed it.

Now Traynor would never have made the whole thing up, would he?

Rumble de Thump
26-02-2020, 11:55 AM
Nobody at Sevco wanting to issue a strong statement about the made up racism comments on Sky?

Sir David Gray
26-02-2020, 12:13 PM

'Defies belief'

Is that not the same group of lunatics who wanted Lennon reported to the police a couple of years ago for cupping his ears at Ibrox?

The Harp Awakes
26-02-2020, 12:19 PM

'Defies belief'

F@nnys

Ozyhibby
26-02-2020, 12:33 PM
I heard a good word for this on the radio this morning - fandamentalism. They were talking about Man City fans not accepting their club had done anything wrong, but said it applies to fans of most clubs.

Come to think of it, it doesn't go far enough for the Bears. They are in a league of their own and would probably see being described as fandamentalists as a compliment.

It happens with all fans. It happens on here at times when things are going terribly there will be people on here saying that we are just unlucky and whatever player you say is not good enough will have his defenders. Right up until they day he’s dropped or sold and then it is universally accepted they were hopeless. Oxley and Chris Maxwell are two recent examples but there are many more.

Cataplana
26-02-2020, 12:36 PM
It happens with all fans. It happens on here at times when things are going terribly there will be people on here saying that we are just unlucky and whatever player you say is not good enough will have his defenders. Right up until they day he’s dropped or sold and then it is universally accepted they were hopeless. Oxley and Chris Maxwell are two recent examples but there are many more.

It does, but rarely do the fans come out with such claptrap, and dress it up as a semi official statement.

These guys seem to be tasked with saying what Jabba is really thinking, but doesn't want to admit it.

Jones28
26-02-2020, 12:41 PM

That’s not even on the same planet as those zoomers.

Jones28
26-02-2020, 12:43 PM

They would, they’d take it as a good thing to be so blind that every word/statement released by anyone around rangers is gospel, and anything against it to be slander.

There is a serious disconnect with these groups.

ehf
26-02-2020, 12:55 PM

Just when you think you couldn't possibly detest them more, they plunge to odious new depths. Really hope they get pumped by Braga tonight.

basehibby
26-02-2020, 12:56 PM
They shouldn't be the pitch is for the players these invasions spoil the good times for thousands. Stay in the stand and take a selfie FFS.

I listened to that and don't believe they took opposing views due to BBC editorial rules. Off the ball are petty and I'll informed that is why they get away with a lot of their nonsense. I don't hold it against Tam but don't believe his excuse either.

Miserable sod - it was the best pitch invasion ever! I would not change a thing about that day (and I wasn't even on the pitch).

basehibby
26-02-2020, 01:02 PM

'Defies belief'

:faf::faf::faf: - Comedy gold from the pompous arse trumpets of Ibrox

"James Traynor, who has been attacked online and also physically" :take that:clapper::clapper::clapper::not worth

hibbyfraelibby
26-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Please explain those defences.

The main defence is the well know "fair comment" defence widely used to great success.

Kavinho
26-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Beggars belief.

Oops.... wrong statement
Can't keep up

hibbydog
26-02-2020, 04:48 PM
We are Rangers
We are Rangers
No one likes us
And it appears that we have not anticipated the long term ramifications of this ...

Hibbyradge
26-02-2020, 10:46 PM
The main defence is the well know "fair comment" defence widely used to great success.

Simples.

Except it's not "fair comment" to say that an individual is manipulating the press in order that his own personal company can make money from sorting out the mess he's caused his employer.

You need proof. Or several previous examples. He might have been right, but if MS didn't have the evidence, he shouldn't have said it.

tamig
26-02-2020, 11:23 PM
What happened to fat Jabba? I wasn’t aware he was attacked?

That Club 72 mob are a bunch of sanctimonious and hypocritical tubes.

No one likes us, we don’t....

Laughable.

26-02-2020, 11:38 PM

Laughable.

Police are hunting a couple of imaginary bigots that threw an imaginary rock at him while he was walking his imaginary dog and it is Michael Stewart's fault....though I might have imagined it.

Carheenlea
27-02-2020, 08:02 AM

Laughable.

Couple of guys threw a stone at him and called him some sectarian names.

Not very nice, but blown out of proportion to suit their narrative.

Paisley Hibby
27-02-2020, 08:13 AM

'Defies belief'

If you ever need an example to show what pompous windbaggery looks like you won't better this. Rangers fans have always taken themselves far too seriously and are permanently angry that nobody else does (or even cares). A bit like Northern Ireland unionist politicians.

Brizo
27-02-2020, 08:29 AM

'Defies belief'

its not a proper The Rangers statement unless it contains the phrase "defies belief"

This is up there with their bestest ever statements. Well done Club 1872 :top marks :not worth:greengrin

Carheenlea
02-03-2020, 06:21 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/MKM5NhHC/01-DB61-BA-0-F34-487-D-8-A10-F20-E86606-A88.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Stewart not invited into Sportsound tonight for some reason. Monday was his usual berth.

02-03-2020, 06:26 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/MKM5NhHC/01-DB61-BA-0-F34-487-D-8-A10-F20-E86606-A88.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Stewart not invited into Sportsound tonight for some reason. Monday was his usual berth.

Most of it was about Morelos being dropped so the BBC are probably bottling it by steering clear of MS when heavily featuring Rangers. We'll maybe get MS about once a month.

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2020, 06:27 PM
Thought it was strange he was not on the Scottish Cup Quarter Final Sportscene round up show

Lago
02-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Thought it was strange he was not on the Scottish Cup Quarter Final Sportscene round up show
Think the good old Beeb are trying to edge him out without creating too many waves. 🤔

Danderhall Hibs
02-03-2020, 06:34 PM

He was on Saturdays show.

Can’t be a good relationship just now - I wouldn’t be surprised if Sky get him for their promised improved coverage next season.

Sammy7nil
02-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Miserable sod - it was the best pitch invasion ever! I would not change a thing about that day (and I wasn't even on the pitch).

Glad YOU enjoyed the best pitch invasion ever :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

Radium
02-03-2020, 07:31 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200302/355e3d8ed7cc13b00ffaba8ad3dd9bcd.jpg

Given that the show revolved around TRFC screwing up with Tom English/ Darryl Broadfoot highlighting the shortcomings he would have had little time to discuss the weekend football

Joe6-2
02-03-2020, 08:38 PM

'Defies belief'

Just saw this,

What an absolute crock of sh*t

hibbyfraelibby
02-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Simples.

Except it's not "fair comment" to say that an individual is manipulating the press in order that his own personal company can make money from sorting out the mess he's caused his employer.

You need proof. Or several previous examples. He might have been right, but if MS didn't have the evidence, he shouldn't have said it.

Sorry but you do not need "proof" in this aspect of civil law. Believe me been there got the t shirt and he got the the legal bill