PDA

View Full Version : Efe to Livingston

Off the bar
18-02-2020, 01:03 PM
Just seen this on Twitter. Some signing for them.

Off the bar
18-02-2020, 01:04 PM
https://twitter.com/stvraman/status/1229767592614690818?s=21

Tully
18-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Never played for months

Northernhibee
18-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Hasn't played in a year. Loved him when at the club but not gutted that we've not signed him considering.

Smartie
18-02-2020, 01:10 PM
What is this guy all about?

Was playing his best stuff for us, arguably at his peak, then takes a year out before returning with Livingston.

He should be playing several levels above this one, at least he's back and playing for someone.

HendoDelivered
18-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Wonder if Barts played a part in getting him there?

Sir David Gray
18-02-2020, 01:15 PM
Great signing for them if he's anywhere near the level he was at when he played for us.

He could be the difference between them getting Europe or not.

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2020, 01:18 PM
great signing for livi, no idea how they've managed it but well done them

Stuart93
18-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Great signing for them if he's anywhere near the level he was at when he played for us.

I canny see them getting Europe regardless

Bostonhibby
18-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Guy is a footballer , he will do a job for them. Hopefully not against us.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

tonyrougier123
18-02-2020, 01:21 PM
This thread will be all about legs,

In the beginning it will be no played for ages legs gone.

In a month it will be still got the legs to get up and down the park and strolling it.

We have missed a trick here letting a small club like livvy nip in for efe, and already afforded them an asset in marv.

Hope we have decent plans for the defence in the summer.
Still too much hare um scare um desperate defending at the back.

I feel we have missed the big guy in there since he left.

lyonhibs
18-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Would've loved us to sign him but not going to be falling into a pit of rage/despair that we haven't.

calumhibee1
18-02-2020, 01:25 PM
What a signing for them.

hughio

Was playing his best stuff for us, arguably at his peak, then takes a year out before returning with Livingston.

He should be playing several levels above this one, at least he's back and playing for someone.

Agree with you Smartie...I just don't get it either.

He was my favourite for a while..lit up the place.

Always assumed he was on an upward trajectory.

Must be Marvin's work that he's back there.

hfc rd
Blimey, that’s an excellent signing for them

Stuart93
Yeay. Another stick for the club to be beaten with.

Good signing for livi. Not going to lose sleep.

Hiber-nation
18-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Jackson and Hanlon will do me fine on current form thanks.

Brightside
18-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Good player but not the kind of player we need in the camp right now.

pacoluna
18-02-2020, 01:35 PM
He should be back in a hibs top, can't get my head around this.

WhileTheChief..
18-02-2020, 01:38 PM
^^Agreed.

Can't work out why we weren't interested in him. Loved the big guy.

Heisenberg
18-02-2020, 01:40 PM

I can. He jumped ship when it suited him with not a second thought about the club or his teammates. Now been out of the game for a year as a result and basically does what he wants on a daily basis, Lennon let him away with all sorts. Players regularly commented that he turned up for training at whatever time he wanted if he turned up at all.

He’s a class player on his day but I can’t say I’m overly upset that he’s not back. The emergence of Adam Jackson has helped us out massively.

sean04
18-02-2020, 01:42 PM
What a signing for them, will prob be there best ever player

erin go bragh
18-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Nah , but could be the difference from them staying in the top six .

Onceinawhile
18-02-2020, 01:43 PM
^^Agreed.

Can't work out why we weren't interested in him. Loved the big guy.

Maybe to do with his much publicised lax attitude towards training?

Someone going in and acting billy big baws at livi might just be the exact opposite of what they need.

weecounty hibby
18-02-2020, 01:50 PM
It's like the Dylan chat, and Malonga, and the many and varied players that have improved when they leave Hibs. Dylan was struggling for a game with Sunderland who were **** at the time, he has been dropped by the sheep and early reports are that he hasn't been playing well. Dom went to Italian 3rd? division.......Efe was great for us and I loved watching him play for Hibs. He couldn't break into the Derby side and I don't think he even made the bench in any games, he hasn't played for over a year. We'll see how he goes but honestly it is not a stick to beat the club up with. I'd Jack Ross didn't want him who are we on here to disagree.

Onion
18-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Pre-Jan would have been upset at this, but Jackson and Hanlon have come onto a game and McGinn has settled well. If they can just do sensible defending we'll by ok.

green day
18-02-2020, 01:56 PM
It's like the Dylan chat, and Malonga, and the many and varied players that have improved when they leave Hibs. Dylan was struggling for a game with Sunderland who were **** at the time, he has been dropped by the sheep and early reports are that he hasn't been playing well. Dom went to Italian 3rd? division.......Efe was great for us and I loved watching him play for Hibs. He couldn't break into the Derby side and I don't think he even made the bench in any games, he hasn't played for over a year. We'll see how he goes but honestly it is not a stick to beat the club up with. I'd Jack Ross didn't want him who are we on here to disagree.

Kinda where I am too - I loved the big guy and a few months ago I would have bitten your hand off........but we seem to have found a system that works reasonably well with the players we have.

While I wish him all the best, if we had signed him (not played for 14 months) instead of McGinn as RB cover, I suspect that we would have had less points than now, simply because for the first few matches he wouldnt be quite up to speed.

Brightside
18-02-2020, 01:57 PM
I can. He jumped ship when it suited him with not a second thought about the club or his teammates. Now been out of the game for a year as a result and basically does what he wants on a daily basis, Lennon let him away with all sorts. Players regularly commented that he turned up for training at whatever time he wanted if he turned up at all.

He’s a class player on his day but I can’t say I’m overly upset that he’s not back. The emergence of Adam Jackson has helped us out massively.

100% spot on.

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Guillermo Amor👍

Pretty Boy
18-02-2020, 02:05 PM
On the face of it a cracking signing for them. Efe was outstanding for us and I'd have liked to have seen him back. It wasn't to be though and the emergence of Jackson in the last few weeks certainly makes it far less of a big deal than it might have been.

Zazu62
18-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Marvin Bartley

Hiber-nation
18-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Guillermo Amor👍

Not when he was at Livi!

scoopyboy
18-02-2020, 02:10 PM
I wonder how many weeks it will take him to get up to speed.

Not the slightest bit concerned about him signing for them.

Can't possibly be match fit.

Loved him whilst he was here but happy with what we've got.

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Great now we can stop talking about signing an ex player until the inevitable next one becomes available.

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 02:13 PM
Not when he was at Livi!

While true on paper it’s their best ever signing.

Dorrans,Snodgrass, Lambert, Griffiths, Douglas, Hoolahan, Kachloul all played for the too.

green day
Great now we can stop talking about signing an ex player until the inevitable next one becomes available.

Dylan in the summer when he realises that McInnes lied to him about how they would play :greengrin

The 90+2

Or until he rips it up for Livingston.

JammyDoidger
18-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Fantastic signing for Livi. Can't believe we weren't interested in bringing him back with our defensive frailties, and with money sitting there. Even till the end of the season it was a no brainer. This is a man that just last year was in the form of his life. Mental.

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 02:14 PM
I wonder how many weeks it will take him to get up to speed.

Not the slightest bit concerned about him signing for them.

Can't possibly be match fit.

Loved him whilst he was here but happy with what we've got.

They’ve 18 months to get him fit though. They are safe this year and having a good season and will be brilliant for them next season when up to speed.

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Efe is history

Great while it lasted

Onwards and upwards

green day
18-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Fantastic signing for Livi. Can't believe we weren't interested in bringing him back with our defensive frailties, and with money sitting there. Even till the end of the season it was a no brainer. This is a man that just last year was in the form of his life. Mental.

Not that I want to be pedantic (aye, I do :greengrin) but "just last year" has been 100% inactive for Efe - he has not played for about 14 months................

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2020, 02:18 PM

David Fernandez

scoopyboy
18-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Didn't kick a ball in earnest in 2019 so don't see how you can say that.

EI255
18-02-2020, 02:19 PM

He should be playing several levels above this one, at least he's back and playing for someone.It is very strange behaviour from a footballer.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

flash
18-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Might be good might not. Will definitely turn up for training and before matches when he feels like it and take the piss.

scoopyboy
18-02-2020, 02:21 PM
They’ve 18 months to get him fit though. They are safe this year and having a good season and will be brilliant for them next season when up to speed.

Aye so if he's fit after 17 months its job done:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

I think he will be a good signing for them if he applies himself.

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Aye so if he's fit after 17 months its job done:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

I think he will be a good signing for them if he applies himself.

😁

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2020, 02:29 PM
Or until he rips it up for Livingston.

Which is by no means guaranteed.

J-C
18-02-2020, 02:32 PM
He had a 4 month period with us when he was excellent, deemed a bombscare at Celtic and had his moments here too, Lennon let him away with being late for training regularly and not turning up at club events with the fans, it didn't help the dressing room atmosphere. He decided to use his weird January release clause and buggered off for nowt and hasn't kicked a ball in earnest for over a year, he's maybe keeping fit but playing fitness is a different matter, there's a reason we haven't approached him.

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Which is by no means guaranteed.

Of course not but I don’t think Livi will be paying massive wages so if not sure how much of a risk percentage it would have been to bring him back.

jacomo
18-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Good player but not the kind of player we need in the camp right now.

I think you’ve put your finger on it.

Centre Hawf
18-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Some people will point out the legs factor and that's perfectly fine. But for me we have absolutely missed a trick here and I'm gutted he's not back at us.

Stevie Reid
18-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Dunno how much Efe will enjoy playing for Livi, time will tell.

Loved him when he was here, but he made his choice.

superfurryhibby
18-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Some people will point out the legs factor and that's perfectly fine. But for me we have absolutely missed a trick here and I'm gutted he's not back at us.

Not having a dig, but have you read any of the posts that mention his shoddy attitudes to timekeeping, turning up for training etc? Not really about the legs, more about team morale and togetherness.

Hibeesmad
18-02-2020, 03:00 PM
Quality signing.

hibbyfraelibby
18-02-2020, 03:01 PM
If he plays on Saturday we should target him because his sharpness and fitness will be a bit lacking.

If he then comes on to a game...say against a relegation candidate whats not to like.

greenpaper55
18-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Quality signing.

Must be a different player to the bomb scare i used to watch !

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2020, 03:05 PM
We went back to him with an increased offer to stay and he still decided to go

Maybes he knew Lenny wouldn’t be hanging about

The grass is not always greener

Loved the big man but it is what it is

Bobby's Cinema
18-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Loved watching him.

Livi making a lot of clever signings these days, it will be a battle to finish above them.

Hope another group of fans at least get to see he’s not the bombscare still made out to be in the media.

Peevemor
18-02-2020, 03:09 PM
I wonder if Livi are paying him what he would have asked from us?

Oscar T Grouch
18-02-2020, 03:10 PM
I’m happy with our current crop of centre backs. Efe will be a good signing for Livvy but he will take a good few weeks/couple of months to get his match sharpness back, he’s not played for over a year. His natural talent will get him through that period. It’s good to have him back in the league and I wish him all the best but I don’t want him back with Hibs. I hope it takes him a while to get up to speed though, cause I want us to finish well above Livvy come the end of season.

Hakim Sar
18-02-2020, 03:18 PM
Good luck to Efe. Can only say nice things about him.

We have moved on. So has he.

greenlex
18-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Terrific player but he basically walked out on Hibs and did very little. Probably best without him. What message would it send to the other players if he just waltzed back in?

Since452
18-02-2020, 03:28 PM
Leaving Hibs worked out well

1 8 7 5
18-02-2020, 03:33 PM
Quality signing for them. Would have welcomed him with open arms if he had signed for the Cabbage. He was, on the whole, very good for Hibernian.

...but not too fussed really. Mon the cabbage.

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2020, 03:35 PM

I can he walked out on us at the drop of a hat, went AWOL when he felt like it and hasn't kicked a ball in anger in over a year. No thanks from me

CapitalGreen
18-02-2020, 03:47 PM
Legend. All the best Efe!

HappyAsHellas
18-02-2020, 03:48 PM
I'm sure Mr Ross will have debated with the recruitment section and others concerning a well known international player available on a free. It could well be that he didn't fancy someone who turns up late (if at all) for training and hasn't kicked a ball in anger for a year. I doubt very much if he'll be the same standard of player we were lucky enough to see at ER. Career wise I think he is quite firmly on the slippery slope and not what we want or need.

flash
18-02-2020, 03:49 PM

Legend? Must have missed him in the Cup Final team.

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2020, 03:52 PM

A prime example of misuse of the word Legend.

JammyDoidger
18-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Not that I want to be pedantic (aye, I do :greengrin) but "just last year" has been 100% inactive for Efe - he has not played for about 14 months................

Well 14 months ago then, just before he left for derby. He was in great form..feel it was worth getting him back in even short term at least to help us out. His attitude must have been really bad for us to swerve him.

RossScott1991
18-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Good luck to Efe, however I am more than happy at the way Paul McGinn is quietly going about his business and has made us more solid.

special mention for Jackson too who has fought his way back.

WhileTheChief..
18-02-2020, 04:03 PM
Maybe to do with his much publicised lax attitude towards training?

Someone going in and acting billy big baws at livi might just be the exact opposite of what they need.

Billy big baws?? Where's that come from?

He was hugely popular around ER and there were never any complaints about his attitude.

DH1875
18-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Something not right about the whole thing to me. No harm to livi but why livi and why now? Also, surprised at an 18 month deal. Pretty sure he could make more else where.

Jim44
18-02-2020, 04:05 PM
Well 14 months ago then, just before he left for derby. He was in great form..feel it was worth getting him back in even short term at least to help us out. His attitude must have been really bad for us to swerve him.

I’ve gone well past the point where I thought he could come in and improve us but I’m now into the ‘meh’ state of mind. Good luck to him. I enjoyed when he was with us but his ship has sailed.

Unseen work
18-02-2020, 04:10 PM
He’s 31 not 50, his legs haven’t gone.

Fitness has never seemed an issue for him and I’m sure will be up to speed soon.

A very good player who will be a very good addition for Livingston and imo we should have signed him.

Him on the right of the back 3 would be very good.

HappyAsHellas
18-02-2020, 04:11 PM
Billy big baws?? Where's that come from?

He was hugely popular around ER and there were never any complaints about his attitude.

He regularly turned up late for training and sometimes not at all, hence the billy big baws I suppose.

Blackfordhibby
18-02-2020, 04:15 PM

This! In a nutshell.

CapitalGreen
18-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Legend? Must have missed him in the Cup Final team.

A prime example of misuse of the word Legend.

Didn’t realise there was a finite number of legends.

lucky
18-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Not fussed about him signing for them but the guy is a quality player on his day but he chose to leave Hibs to play at a higher level and has now signed for one of the smallest clubs in the top two flights of Scottish football. He’ll be lucky if he’s on £1500 a week there but maybe he’s had a rest and just want to play again

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2020, 04:22 PM

There isn’t, I never said there was?

Sir David Gray
18-02-2020, 04:31 PM
I canny see them getting Europe regardless

A team that's 4 points off third at this stage in the season can't be discounted.

Sir David Gray
18-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Nah , but could be the difference from them staying in the top six .

They'll easily be top 6, they hardly lose any home games.

The Modfather
18-02-2020, 04:32 PM
A good signing. Would have been happy to have him back but hope we’re squirrelling away whatever wage we could have given him towards making our best offer for Docherty.

chrisski33
18-02-2020, 04:35 PM
Good for livi. His ship at Hibs has sailed so wish him well and time to move on.

flash

There isn't but you would be well into the hundreds before you got to him.

Centre Hawf
Not having a dig, but have you read any of the posts that mention his shoddy attitudes to timekeeping, turning up for training etc? Not really about the legs, more about team morale and togetherness.

I have and I take no real notice of them because I don't know really know if Efe effected team morale, I also don't know how often he was late beyond that time he was actually late for pre season. What I do know is he was a fantastic player for us and one of the best defenders in the league while at us and for that reason I'd have liked to have seen him back.

Northernhibee
18-02-2020, 04:42 PM
I really liked him at Hibs. However I don't like the way he left and whereas someone like a McGinn who gave everything for the club and left on good terms deserves being done the favour of the benefit of the doubt, I wouldn't extend that to Efe.

There's every chance that Efe will sit on the bench at Livingston if his match sharpness is way off.

I trust those at the club who worked with him for two and a half years to be doing the right thing in deciding against offering him a route back at the club as they'll know far better.

neil7908
18-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Great signing for them. Would definitely have him back at ER.

I don't think Efe is the kind of player where match fitness will matter too much.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2020, 05:09 PM
No disrespect to Livingston, but they won't be paying him money that we couldn't find. If the boss says that we don't need him, then we don't need him. As much as I rate Ambrose, it's a great boost to our current defenders that Ross thinks Ambrose couldn't shift them.

Carheenlea
18-02-2020, 05:15 PM
A cult hero more so than a club legend.

Find the whole signing for Livingston thing very odd. As one poster pointed out earlier he was playing the best football of his career at Hibs then suddenly departed to what we assumed would be pastures new and perhaps a step back up to a bigger club, but he seemed to just disappear for over a year and now he’s signed with Livingston. Can’t see them offering a bumper salary to entice him, and plastic wasn’t always his best surface to play on.

Loved watching him at Hibs but not so keen on watching him play against us. Richard Gordon and co on Sportsound will be preparing to laugh up their sleeves every week in anticipation of an Efe gaffe, which was in actual fact a rarity.

Hibs4185
18-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Gutted he is not back at hibs. Hopefully a short deal at Livingston to get his fitness back and then back to us.

Efe, porteous and Jackson/Hanlon would be a great back 3

pacoluna
18-02-2020, 05:20 PM
No disrespect to Livingston, but they won't be paying him money that we couldn't find. If the boss says that we don't need him, then we don't need him. As much as I rate Ambrose, it's a great boost to our current defenders that Ross thinks Ambrose couldn't shift them.

Ambrose is a better player than all our current back 4

pacoluna
18-02-2020, 05:22 PM
I can he walked out on us at the drop of a hat, went AWOL when he felt like it and hasn't kicked a ball in anger in over a year. No thanks from me

He walked out on us at the drop of a hat? He went to Derby for probably about ten times more money and under lampard.. even though he didn't play Ambrose could have picked any half decent club after Celtic, he chose us.

Since452
18-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Been said before but I don't think any other manager would let Efe away with what Lennon did. He cut him lots of slack, which got the best out of him but that wasn't fair on he rest of the group. I'd be very surprised if he did well at Livi. I thought he was terrific but I'm happier with the way we are going now.

flash
18-02-2020, 05:28 PM
He walked out on us at the drop of a hat? He went to Derby for probably about ten times more money and under lampard.. even though he didn't play Ambrose could have picked any half decent club after Celtic, he chose us.

Except he didn't. He signed for Derby a fair bit after he left us.

Albanian Hibs
18-02-2020, 05:39 PM
How can they afford him?

Centre Hawf
18-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Except he didn't. He signed for Derby a fair bit after he left us.

We don't know the ins and outs of his clause, perhaps he had a timescale to invoke it in? First week of the January window for example.

He would have had his agent sounding out offers and potential clubs in the build up to that window and known Derby were interested before he signed.

18-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Good luck to him. Glad he didn't end up at Hearts.

oldbutdim
18-02-2020, 06:01 PM
A cult hero more so than a club legend.

Find the whole signing for Livingston thing very odd. As one poster pointed out earlier he was playing the best football of his career at Hibs then suddenly departed to what we assumed would be pastures new and perhaps a step back up to a bigger club, but he seemed to just disappear for over a year and now he’s signed with Livingston. Can’t see them offering a bumper salary to entice him, and plastic wasn’t always his best surface to play on.

Loved watching him at Hibs but not so keen on watching him play against us. Richard Gordon and co on Sportsound will be preparing to laugh up their sleeves every week in anticipation of an Efe gaffe, which was in actual fact a rarity.

He was always better on grass.

Sometimes he played on it as if he was on it.
:wink:

penihibs
18-02-2020, 06:07 PM
How can they afford him?

They have history of this big wages small crowds.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Perhaps. Doesn't look like clubs were battering down his door to sign him up though?

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Perhaps. Doesn't look like clubs were battering down his door to sign him up though?

Such boring logic. No one wanted half our team before they joined us. He is class, no doubting that.

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2020, 06:16 PM

A bold statement considering he hasn’t kicked a ball for over a year. He will need to put in a hell of a lot of good performances to prove it.

18-02-2020, 06:20 PM
A bold statement considering he hasn’t kicked a ball for over a year. He will need to put in a hell of a lot of good performances to prove it.

It was his friendship with Bartley that has taken him there.

Jim44
18-02-2020, 06:27 PM
If, as one or two have suggested, Ambrose will be on a smaller wage than he might have got from us, I am sure that Jack Ross was the major voice in saying ‘no thanks’. I think Ross is a very good judge of what we need and if he thinks Ambrose is not a good move, that’s fine with me.

Tyler Durden
18-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Seems like lots of people on here are experts on all the misbehaviour that Lennon let Ambrose away with.

flash
18-02-2020, 06:42 PM
Seems like lots of people on here are experts on all the misbehaviour that Lennon let Ambrose away with.

Common knowledge.

Andy74
18-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Common knowledge.

Fair play then because he was excellent for us and was a hugely popular with other players.

However he was managed, it worked.

J-C
18-02-2020, 06:48 PM
Fair play then because he was excellent for us and was a hugely popular with other players.

Don't think his personality was a problem with other players, just his lack of discipline training wise peeved off a few, plus no shows at club events.

Weegreenman
18-02-2020, 06:51 PM
If Efe was half as good as “the fitba folk” on .net say he is, he wouldn’t be signing for Livi, i can tell you that much.

DH1875
18-02-2020, 07:01 PM

Why though? That's my question. Should have been loads of clubs in for him over the last year. Something not quite right about the whole thing.

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2020, 07:41 PM
He is not a legend sorry...he walked out on us. Was a decent player but never in a million years a legend

Iggy Pope
18-02-2020, 07:49 PM
He is not a legend sorry...he walked out on us. Was a decent player but never in a million years a legend

Buying a Kebab on Easter Road in a shop full of Hibs after pumping Hertz is as legendary as a million years will make it. Legend.

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2020, 07:56 PM
If Efe was half as good as “the fitba folk” on .net say he is, he wouldn’t be signing for Livi, i can tell you that much.

Klopp is gutted he missed out on him.

flash
18-02-2020, 07:59 PM

A lot of the players were pretty fed up with the special treatment he got.
Not something that matters now but still the case.

scoopyboy
18-02-2020, 08:01 PM

Maybe Ambrose WAS a better player than our current back 4 but IS?????

Nah, lets just wait and see how he gets on at Livi.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2020, 08:06 PM
Such boring logic. No one wanted half our team before they joined us. He is class, no doubting that.

Thank you for putting me straight. The boss went and got a right back who was under contract at St Mirren, rather than signing Ambrose.

SMAXXA
18-02-2020, 08:15 PM
No even going to read 4 pages of what’s probably pish. Good luck to Efe, do we need him no I don’t think we do was he class for us he’s and I will always have great memories of him but I won’t lose any sleep over him going to Livi

CapitalGreen
18-02-2020, 08:57 PM
Thank you for putting me straight. The boss went and got a right back who was under contract at St Mirren, rather than signing Ambrose.

Ambrose isn’t a right-back

CapitalGreen
18-02-2020, 08:58 PM

I’ll decide who I consider a legend thanks

h1bs4life
18-02-2020, 09:14 PM
Efe was a very good player for us , didn't agree he was a bomb scare.
He always tried to play football but got the feeling he thought he was doing us a favour coming from Celtic to play for us , think he needed to play in UK for another 6 months for some sort of residency / visa.
According to others he was getting away with lots under Lennon , not sure how much was in that but him coming back late from holiday was public knowledge . Not sure if that's what Jack Ross would want in the squad when trying to build up team spirit.

Good player but don't think he was that bothered about playing for us. Article below in one of the rags probably confirms that and by the sounds of it there wasn't much interest in him , friendship with Bartley played in part in him going to livi.

Former Celtic hero Efe Ambrose has 'no regrets' over Hibernian exit as he lifts lid on Livingston move

The former Parkhead centre-back is hungry to get back into competitive football after six months without a club.
Former Celtic defender Efe Ambrose has said he has 'no regrets' over swapping Hibs for Derby County a year ago.
Ambrose invoked a clause in his contract with the Edinburgh side to join Frank Lampard's side last February but failed to make a competitive appearance.
He was let go in the summer and initially failed to find another club, but will make his SPFL return after signing an 18-month deal with Livingston on Tuesday.
Now he could face Hibs on Saturday more than a year after his last competitive game came in an Edinburgh derby against Hearts on December 29, 2018.
In his time out 31-year-old had kept in touch with former Easter Road team-mate Bartley - currently starring for the Lions - who played a big part in securing the move.
Ambrose said: "Marvin told me it was a great club and a great move for him and he said so many nice things about the club that I was really interested.
"I watched the Scottish league a lot back in Africa and I told Marvin I wanted to move back to Scotland and could he help out. He spoke to the coaches and said they were interested.
"I never thought they would be interested because I hadn't played for six months.
"I have been training morning and evening back at home with my local team and they trusted me with that. I am not coming in for a pre-season, I am ready to go
Unfortunately I could not come in January because of paperwork. My agent tried to do everything possible but they couldn't get it done and I thought I had missed out when they signed another centre-back.
"I thought it was another door shut and I was frustrated. I kept calling Marvin and he told me not to worry and I kept believing and praying. Last week everything turned round.
"Even a day without football is not OK. I have the passion and drive to play football. I have been playing in Africa but I want to be playing in a competitive league.
"I had another couple of offers but nothing concrete. So it was difficult, just hoping.
"Then Livingston came in. I have watched them play and have seen the ambition of the club.
This is an opportunity for me to come back to the league and see what I can do to help Livingston do what they want to achieve this season - which is the top six and after that fight for the European spots.
"Nothing is impossible in football. I always believe you can achieve anything you put your mind to, and I believe this club has that mindset too.
He went on to say his move to Derby over a year ago wasn't a disappointment despite the lack of football - and says he has 'no regrets' about leaving Hibs at the time.
"It wasn't a disappointment because it was just three months," he said. "It's difficult in that position to break in because the team was doing well.
"But what I got from there - the players, the coaching staff, the training - was massive and I enjoyed my time there. I never regretted the move

Lago
18-02-2020, 09:17 PM
18 month contract, I wonder if it has the same get out clause in it that he had with his Hibs contract.

Captain Trips
18-02-2020, 09:19 PM

David Fellenger must be in with a shout then :greengrin

Brightside
18-02-2020, 09:36 PM

He wasn’t hugely popular. Didn’t mix with the players away from training.

JimBHibees
18-02-2020, 09:40 PM
I wonder if Livi are paying him what he would have asked from us?

Wondering how they are getting that sort of cash. Maybe they are going for a hat trick of administrations.

CapitalGreen
18-02-2020, 09:47 PM
He wasn’t hugely popular. Didn’t mix with the players away from training.

There’s plenty players who don’t socialise with teammates away from training. Marvin obviously liked him enough to help him sign for Livi.

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 09:56 PM
David Fellenger must be in with a shout then :greengrin

Fellie is the biggest radge I’ve ever met. I would call him a legend too for other reasons :greengrin

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 09:57 PM
Wondering how they are getting that sort of cash. Maybe they are going for a hat trick of administrations.

I don’t think he will be on much at all. More about being back in the UK/Scotland

tonyrougier123
18-02-2020, 09:59 PM
Efe was head and shoulders above any defender in the side.
The fact its been desperate stuff at the back since he left kind of justifies that.
As for not applying himself??I find that hard to believe,most accomplished athlete in the side who could get up and down the park with ease,both attacking and defending to a very good standard.
I do wonder why we never tried to get him back.
Also big marv clearly thinks alot of the big guy,and that will do for me.

FilipinoHibs
18-02-2020, 10:19 PM
Efe was a very good player for us , didn't agree he was a bomb scare.
He always tried to play football but got the feeling he thought he was doing us a favour coming from Celtic to play for us , think he needed to play in UK for another 6 months for some sort of residency / visa.
According to others he was getting away with lots under Lennon , not sure how much was in that but him coming back late from holiday was public knowledge . Not sure if that's what Jack Ross would want in the squad when trying to build up team spirit.

Good player but don't think he was that bothered about playing for us. Article below in one of the rags probably confirms that and by the sounds of it there wasn't much interest in him , friendship with Bartley played in part in him going to livi.

Former Celtic hero Efe Ambrose has 'no regrets' over Hibernian exit as he lifts lid on Livingston move

The former Parkhead centre-back is hungry to get back into competitive football after six months without a club.
Former Celtic defender Efe Ambrose has said he has 'no regrets' over swapping Hibs for Derby County a year ago.
Ambrose invoked a clause in his contract with the Edinburgh side to join Frank Lampard's side last February but failed to make a competitive appearance.
He was let go in the summer and initially failed to find another club, but will make his SPFL return after signing an 18-month deal with Livingston on Tuesday.
Now he could face Hibs on Saturday more than a year after his last competitive game came in an Edinburgh derby against Hearts on December 29, 2018.
In his time out 31-year-old had kept in touch with former Easter Road team-mate Bartley - currently starring for the Lions - who played a big part in securing the move.
Ambrose said: "Marvin told me it was a great club and a great move for him and he said so many nice things about the club that I was really interested.
"I watched the Scottish league a lot back in Africa and I told Marvin I wanted to move back to Scotland and could he help out. He spoke to the coaches and said they were interested.
"I never thought they would be interested because I hadn't played for six months.
"I have been training morning and evening back at home with my local team and they trusted me with that. I am not coming in for a pre-season, I am ready to go
Unfortunately I could not come in January because of paperwork. My agent tried to do everything possible but they couldn't get it done and I thought I had missed out when they signed another centre-back.
"I thought it was another door shut and I was frustrated. I kept calling Marvin and he told me not to worry and I kept believing and praying. Last week everything turned round.
"Even a day without football is not OK. I have the passion and drive to play football. I have been playing in Africa but I want to be playing in a competitive league.
"I had another couple of offers but nothing concrete. So it was difficult, just hoping.
"Then Livingston came in. I have watched them play and have seen the ambition of the club.
This is an opportunity for me to come back to the league and see what I can do to help Livingston do what they want to achieve this season - which is the top six and after that fight for the European spots.
"Nothing is impossible in football. I always believe you can achieve anything you put your mind to, and I believe this club has that mindset too.
He went on to say his move to Derby over a year ago wasn't a disappointment despite the lack of football - and says he has 'no regrets' about leaving Hibs at the time.
"It wasn't a disappointment because it was just three months," he said. "It's difficult in that position to break in because the team was doing well.
"But what I got from there - the players, the coaching staff, the training - was massive and I enjoyed my time there. I never regretted the move

Well he's made the big time now playing on a plastic pitch with about 2,000 fans playing in a robust style.

pacoluna
18-02-2020, 10:43 PM

The same logic could be used for Scott alan with us...some players just suit certain clubs. Ambrose was head shoulders above many of our players.

California-Hibs
18-02-2020, 11:32 PM
Nah, I'm actually raging with this one. We are in need of a centre half and at the age of 31 even with a year out, a 70% of what he was Efe would have still been a fantastic signing.

Again, raging we've clearly not persued him.

The 90+2
19-02-2020, 12:03 AM
Well he's made the big time now playing on a plastic pitch with about 2,000 fans playing in a robust style.

Maybe he’s just happy in life having played and won league titles and playing in the champions league as well as his country? He took a gamble when he probably knew Lennon was leaving Hibs it didn’t pay off, he was still unexpectedly fantastic for the team.

FilipinoHibs
19-02-2020, 12:44 AM
Maybe he’s just happy in life having played and won league titles and playing in the champions league as well as his country? He took a gamble when he probably knew Lennon was leaving Hibs it didn’t pay off, he was still unexpectedly fantastic for the team.

Maybe left because he knew Lennon was not going to be there to protect him. Sure JR would have asked the players what he was like. Would not want a bad apple in the basket.

JimBHibees
19-02-2020, 05:36 AM
There’s plenty players who don’t socialise with teammates away from training. Marvin obviously liked him enough to help him sign for Livi.

indeed

Since452
19-02-2020, 05:39 AM
This sounds like the Marv and McGeouch situation. People want the same Marv back who constantly slowed play down and was only effective against a handful of teams and Dylan who was dropped by Sunderland and now Aberdeen and people wondering why we didn't sign him. Efe hasn't played in over a year and disappeared without a trace after leaving us. I wonder what state the team would be in if fans got to decide signings.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2020, 05:54 AM
Dreadful logic.

Ambrose is class, anyone who actually watched him here knew that. If he finds his form of his time here he is easily the best player outside the OF

BILLYHIBS
19-02-2020, 06:18 AM
Cannae see it but hope he starts Saturday

Good player though he was you cannae just go from doing nothing to Premier League standard after 14 months out without having the odd bomb scare moment :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
19-02-2020, 06:25 AM
This sounds like the Marv and McGeouch situation. People want the same Marv back who constantly slowed play down and was only effective against a handful of teams and Dylan who was dropped by Sunderland and now Aberdeen and people wondering why we didn't sign him. Efe hasn't played in over a year and disappeared without a trace after leaving us. I wonder what state the team would be in if fans got to decide signings.

Did JR get right taking Doherty or the Dylan we are seeing or not seeing at Aberdeen ? Paul McGinn an up to speed solid SPL defender or should he have taken EFE who has not played for 14 months?

scoopyboy
19-02-2020, 06:33 AM
Dreadful logic.

Ambrose is class, anyone who actually watched him here knew that. If he finds his form of his time here he is easily the best player outside the OF

He was superb for us in my opinion as well.

But if he is the best player potentially outwith the old firm why has no Scottish clubs or English Championship, Division One and Division Two teams taken a chance on him?

I wish him well but happy enough we didn't try to get him.

scoopyboy
19-02-2020, 06:35 AM
Nah, I'm actually raging with this one. We are in need of a centre half and at the age of 31 even with a year out, a 70% of what he was Efe would have still been a fantastic signing.

Again, raging we've clearly not persued him.

If you're raging that much I suggest you phone Jack Ross and have it out with him, explaining clearly to him he is an incompetent manager because he never pursued Efe Ambrose.

Since90+2
19-02-2020, 06:39 AM
Jack Ross has done enough to suggest he knows what he is doing with his signings , and I'd suggest he knows a great deal more than random punters on here.

Peevemor
19-02-2020, 06:42 AM
Did Efe become Roberto Carlos when we weren't looking?

I liked him at Hibs but I'm happy to trust JR on this one.

BILLYHIBS
19-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Jack Ross has probably been told to work with what he has but saying that he was allowed to bring in McGinn McNulty and Docherty

We also offered the pars 500k for Nisbet ( allegedly) which was rejected

I would say we are in a very good place

Still waiting on Wee Ron’s big announcement which will probably come round about the AGM

The futures bright the futures green and white

Borderhibbie76
19-02-2020, 07:03 AM
Jack Ross has done enough to suggest he knows what he is doing with his signings , and I'd suggest he knows a great deal more than random punters on here.

Spot on well said...this ex player infatuation on here is getting dull tbh. Look how poor Dylan has been for Aberdeen compared to Docherty for us

Speedway
19-02-2020, 07:06 AM
Does any club’s supporters have an ex-player/ex-manager fixation the equal of ours?

mjhibby
19-02-2020, 07:07 AM
While I would never dis Dylan as I loved watching him play for us but he has made a mistake joining the dons. We clearly have a stronger midfield now and better strike force. He hasn't got Scotty beside him so the onus is on him to create and he's struggling. I doubt he's fully match fit so I'll wait until he's had a long run in the dons team before fully judging him.

greenpaper55
19-02-2020, 07:39 AM
I wonder what constitutes a legend ? Stanton, the famous five and their likes, Efe ! give us a break. If you think he is a legend then you know nothing about football.

SquashedFrogg
19-02-2020, 07:39 AM
Dreadful logic.

With respect I'd say this isn't very logical. Why has he ended up at Livingston if this is the case?

Surely bigger clubs would've been queuing up to sign him a long time ago?

Loved his time at us, but that was then, and this is now.

Good luck to the guy though.

green day
19-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Jesus, can we just close this "aye he is" "no he isnae" nonsense off til about 5pm Saturday???

Peevemor
19-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Jesus, can we just close this "aye he is" "no he isnae" nonsense off til about 5pm Saturday???

Might as well shut down .net while you're at it in that case.

Since452
19-02-2020, 07:46 AM
I wonder what constitutes a legend ? Stanton, the famous five and their likes, Efe ! give us a break. If you think he is a legend then you know nothing about football.

Cult hero yes. legend no. I'd file Efe along side Malonga, Chic Charnley and Marc Libbra. Super talented players that got you excited on their day but definitely not legends.

Anthony Soprano
19-02-2020, 07:54 AM
A decent player but not as good as some folk make out, if a player doesn't want to be here then i don't want him

lyonhibs
19-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Does any club’s supporters have an ex-player/ex-manager fixation the equal of ours?

I really don't think so, but then again I pay next to no attention to any other fan base tbf. Some folk would be delighted if every transfer window just consisted of resigning players who'd left 2-3 years previously

Captain Trips
19-02-2020, 08:17 AM
The only players that I will bother about joining another club are ones we have fully went for and tried to sign.

lucky
19-02-2020, 09:06 AM
I’m surprised that anyone considers Effe as a Hibs legend. He played well for us then buggered off. That hardly constitutes legendary status

Lago
19-02-2020, 10:04 AM
I’m surprised that anyone considers Effe as a Hibs legend. He played well for us then buggered off. That hardly constitutes legendary status
Correct

Anthony Soprano
19-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Sol Bamba is more of a Hibs legend than Efe

Jim44
19-02-2020, 10:40 AM
While I would never dis Dylan as I loved watching him play for us but he has made a mistake joining the dons. We clearly have a stronger midfield now and better strike force. He hasn't got Scotty beside him so the onus is on him to create and he's struggling. I doubt he's fully match fit so I'll wait until he's had a long run in the dons team before fully judging him.

I think you’re in for a long wait.

CapitalGreen
19-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Sol Bamba is more of a Hibs legend than Efe

Both are legends.

flash
19-02-2020, 12:09 PM
Both are legends.

This hall of fame dinners gonna need a bigger venue!

Diclonius
19-02-2020, 12:13 PM
The best centre back I've ever seen at Hibs.

19-02-2020, 12:18 PM
The best centre back I've ever seen at Hibs.

You didn't see Sauzee?

Peevemor
19-02-2020, 12:27 PM
This hall of fame dinners gonna need a bigger venue!

Exactly.

Will Marc Libbra and Ulises de la Cruz get their own tables?

Diclonius
19-02-2020, 01:21 PM
You didn't see Sauzee?

Nope.

The 90+2
19-02-2020, 01:23 PM
With respect I'd say this isn't very logical. Why has he ended up at Livingston if this is the case?

Surely bigger clubs would've been queuing up to sign him a long time ago?

Loved his time at us, but that was then, and this is now.

Good luck to the guy though.

Perhaps teams have spent their budget now? He said in an interview paperwork was holding up him signing during the window.

The 90+2
19-02-2020, 01:24 PM
You didn't see Sauzee?

Sauzee was more of a sweeper behind smith and fenwick (I think)

scoopyboy
19-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Both are legends.

Would love to see your full list of legends :greengrin

The 90+2
19-02-2020, 03:20 PM
Would love to see your full list of legends :greengrin

Gary Smith, world player of the year 2000/2001.

Can anyone remember him hitting the bar against Rangers?

murray26
19-02-2020, 03:27 PM
I think we’ll be just fine without him.

SquashedFrogg
19-02-2020, 03:42 PM
Perhaps teams have spent their budget now? He said in an interview paperwork was holding up him signing during the window.

Possibly. Although any team really keen on him woukd perhaps have waited?

Maybe the paperwork issue is code for 'ran out of Rizla'? 😀

The 90+2
19-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Possibly. Although any team really keen on him woukd perhaps have waited?

Maybe the paperwork issue is code for 'ran out of Rizla'? 😀

😁😁

Brightside
19-02-2020, 03:50 PM
The other team in for him were St Mirren?

HibbySpurs
19-02-2020, 10:13 PM
I think we’ll be just fine without him.

I’m sure we will be...

Just like I’m sure the club’s management team were fully aware he was available to sign and decided he would not bring sufficient value to the playing squad to merit pursuing his re-signing for Hibs.

FilipinoHibs
19-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Would love to see your full list of legends :greengrinThere is a limit to post sizes so not possible.

FilipinoHibs
19-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Our goal or theirs?

The 90+2
19-02-2020, 11:10 PM
Our goal or theirs?

Theirs.

Can’t see anything but I’m almost positive it was the game zitelli scored the winner for us shortly before 6-2.

Gypsy King
20-02-2020, 09:40 AM

Totally agree here - Its ones own prerogative whom he considers to be a legend.

I will always remember Efe's time fondly at Hibs and he goes down as a legend for me.

Brightside
20-02-2020, 10:36 AM

He lives a couple of doors away. I'll let him know he's a legend. :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
20-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Totally agree here - Its ones own prerogative whom he considers to be a legend.

I will always remember Efe's time fondly at Hibs and he goes down as a legend for me.

How about a Hibs Net poll for legends of the last 50 years? People can nominate candidates and you are allowed 10 votes each.

Lago
20-02-2020, 11:00 AM
It seems awfully easy to become a legend at Hibs these days, play a few months & low & behold a few excellent performances, equals legend, the same player roundly described as "bomb scare" on his initial recruitment. Oh well, opinions eh?

JXM73
20-02-2020, 11:21 AM
He's *****, cant wait for boyle to skip past him over and over...

CapitalGreen
20-02-2020, 11:22 AM
It seems awfully easy to become a legend at Hibs these days, play a few months & low & behold a few excellent performances, equals legend, the same player roundly described as "bomb scare" on his initial recruitment. Oh well, opinions eh?

It’s almost as if the idea of a legend is entirely subjective and people can be legends or not to different people.

The 90+2
20-02-2020, 12:11 PM
He lives a couple of doors away. I'll let him know he's a legend. :greengrin

Appreciated 😁 that still down Porty/Joppa way?

allezsauzee
20-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Most of our defence is getting on a bit so I think we should be looking at younger players than Efe.

Brightside
20-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Appreciated 😁 that still down Porty/Joppa way?

Yep.

The 90+2
20-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Yep.

👍

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2020, 09:46 PM
I thought Efe did OK today looked a wee bit heavier and slower almost got caught in a classic Efe moment in the first few moments but sold a HIBS player a dummy and got away with it

I thought we might have tried to exploit his lack of game time more but fair play to him

Looks like a signing that will only get better with more minutes

calumhibee1
22-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Strolled it today.

McKenzie
22-02-2020, 09:56 PM
I thought Efe did OK today looked a wee bit heavier and slower almost got caught in a classic Efe moment in the first few moments but sold a HIBS player a dummy and got away with it

I thought we might have tried to exploit his lack of game time more but fair play to him

That was the “classic efe”. Scottish football fans/media will have him as a bomb scare but his composure adds to a teams ability to build from defence. Would rather watch that than defenders shell it long all day.

The 90+2
22-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Makes it even more baffling we didn’t bring him back. He’s almost completely match fit.

calumhibee1
22-02-2020, 10:12 PM
Makes it even more baffling we didn’t bring him back. He’s almost completely match fit.

He was always going to be. Guy was always fit as a fiddle.

BILLYHIBS
22-02-2020, 10:20 PM

:agree:

Strolled it today

He will sleep tonight though :greengrin

Cat Stanton
22-02-2020, 10:27 PM
Thought he was class today. As he always is.

Cat Stanton
22-02-2020, 10:28 PM

Well, OK, as he nearly (99%) almost is. Before someone else says it...

The 90+2
22-02-2020, 10:47 PM

Yep.

Winston Ingram
23-02-2020, 08:53 AM

Thought he was bang average

CapitalGreen
23-02-2020, 09:18 AM
Best defender on the pitch yesterday, would still walk into the starting XI of any team out with the Old Firm.

Eyrie
23-02-2020, 09:52 AM
I kept an eye on Ambrose yesterday and to be honest he didn't look any better than any other defender on the pitch.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2020, 09:53 AM
I kept an eye on Ambrose yesterday and to be honest he didn't look any better than any other defender on the pitch.

I agree, he wasn't better than Hanlon. He probably will be in a month though.