PDA

View Full Version : RIP Harry Gregg

AltheHibby
17-02-2020, 08:46 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51530864

Not only a great player, but a real life hero.

RIP

Lago
17-02-2020, 09:05 PM
He was a pretty decent keeper in an age when protection for goal keepers was non existent watch Nat Lofthouse put him & the ball into the net. His bravery at Munich was outstanding.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Such a humble man as well.

ACLeith
17-02-2020, 09:38 PM
I was 9 when Munich happened. A few months later all 4 home nations were at the World Cup, Harry Gregg was voted the best goalkeeper in the tournament. When we played in the park with jackets for goals I always wanted to be the keeper and he was the one I pretended to be. Him or Tommy Younger of course!

As I grew up I learnt he was more than just one of the best keepers

hfc rd
17-02-2020, 11:28 PM
R.I.P. Harry Gregg

Gregg will always be a legend and an absolute hero for what he done. His bravery virtually helped save a number of folk including Sir Bobby Charlton from the wreckage.

Pagan Hibernia
17-02-2020, 11:48 PM
The word hero is flippantly thrown about these days.... but that man was an absolute hero

noone knows how they’d react in that situation, but I doubt very much if I’d be clambering back inside the twisted burning wreckage of an aircraft if I’d survived the initial impact. And I’d probably be in the majority there.

this was one very special man, as mortified as he would have been by that description.

oh yeah, and a pretty decent keeper to boot.

CMurdoch
17-02-2020, 11:51 PM
Harry Gregg was a great, modest and unassuming person.
A man in every positive sense of the word.
His selfless courage made a real difference.