PDA

View Full Version : NHC BBC: Can You Beat the Bookies?

Northernhibee
17-02-2020, 12:09 PM
Really good documentary on BBC iPlayer just now following the bookies - how they advertise, how the professionals bet, those with problems and has Lloyd Griffiths betting with £7.5k trying to double his money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07hjnl6/can-you-beat-the-bookies

Would love to see the Scottish Leagues find an alternative source of revenue other than bookies. Some may be aware that I myself work in the alcohol trade and this is very much my opinion as opposed to anyone elses but where the alcohol trade have largely been respectful of laws and social responsibiity (not all places, but most), the gambling industry have been doing everything they can to normalise betting decent money and the like. When a limit was placed on FOBT's in one particular premises, they flooded the high streets and poorer areas with bookies. Advertising is still everywhere, I've never seen a bookies say to someone "Don't you think you've gambled enough today, probably best you leave". Just put a "If the fun stops" sign up and put a percentage of a per cent to gambling charities and rake it in.

It's an industry failing to take responsibility for the havoc that they're leaving behind and in my opinion, wilfully capitalising and profiting off the end result.

Good documentary.

KDY Hibs
17-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Watched this a while back, interesting stuff! the guy travelling round the tennis matches, betting on who would win the next point seemed to be onto a winner, as the winning point only registered when the umpire pressed the button, some umpires were slow to action this so the bets were placed in between the point being won and the umpire registering the point! Free cash!

hfc rd
17-02-2020, 02:42 PM
Watched this a while back, interesting stuff! the guy travelling round the tennis matches, betting on who would win the next point seemed to be onto a winner, as the winning point only registered when the umpire pressed the button, some umpires were slow to action this so the bets were placed in between the point being won and the umpire registering the point! Free cash!

Yep that was insane!

Pretty Boy
17-02-2020, 02:45 PM
The number of William Hill shops that have closed since the £2 max stake on FOBTs is noticeable. The one on Easter Road is gone, one at the top of Broughton Road, one on Leith Walk, one in Portobello and one on the Bridges. You wonder how many people have been lured to the online operations which have far less restrictions on stakes. The 'bonus buys' which were available online for a while were scary, £1000 stakes were possible. They were banned but a few developers have got round it by simply removing the base game and charging for automatic access to what was the bonus but is now the only game available.

The FOBT max stake is a total misnomer anyway when it comes to slots. They have just replaced the 'hi roller' games with 'fortune spins' or 'premium play' which essentially sees a classic 3 reel slot at £2 a play which has to be a winner to access the aforementioned spins on the base game. I've seen videos of guys online playing through £80 and not getting any access to the base game. It does seem to have added a restriction to roulette which was the really damaging game because of the possibility of losing huge money in a couple of minutes.

BILLYHIBS
17-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Watched this a wee while ago

I am sure I was prompted by a thread on here

The Tennis Guy was a licence to print money IIRC

Hibeesmad
18-02-2020, 01:44 AM
The number of William Hill shops that have closed since the £2 max stake on FOBTs is noticeable. The one on Easter Road is gone, one at the top of Broughton Road, one on Leith Walk, one in Portobello and one on the Bridges. You wonder how many people have been lured to the online operations which have far less restrictions on stakes. The 'bonus buys' which were available online for a while were scary, £1000 stakes were possible. They were banned but a few developers have got round it by simply removing the base game and charging for automatic access to what was the bonus but is now the only game available.

The FOBT max stake is a total misnomer anyway when it comes to slots. They have just replaced the 'hi roller' games with 'fortune spins' or 'premium play' which essentially sees a classic 3 reel slot at £2 a play which has to be a winner to access the aforementioned spins on the base game. I've seen videos of guys online playing through £80 and not getting any access to the base game. It does seem to have added a restriction to roulette which was the really damaging game because of the possibility of losing huge money in a couple of minutes.

Stockbridge and Canonmills also closed which were open for a very long time.

Dmas
18-02-2020, 06:11 AM

Seems to be a few loopholes, bookies are quick to shut them down no matter if you have the bet placed or not got you over a barrel with the online T’s & C’’s.

I follow a guy on twitter who has a right good knowledge of the Scottish lower leagues (Raith fan I believe) he manages quite regularly to pick out mistakes in the pricing when bookies first put out the weeks coupon and bets large stakes, by the time the Friday/Saturday roll round he’s actually making profit on the cash out option before a ball is kicked as the price comes down during the weeks betting, sometimes he cashes out sometimes he lets it run, there have been times when the bookie has suspended his account, taken away the cash out option or just cancelled his account.

It’s all stacked in the bookies favour even if it’s them making errors, suppose its what makes the victories so sweet

HH81
18-02-2020, 06:57 AM

William hill have closed all the local ones down here including some in town centres. Just shows all their money were made from the slots.

When I put a footie bet on in ladbrokes they are always busy now as the william hill shop across the road is shut down.

Gloucester Hibs
18-02-2020, 07:07 AM

Yep. I’ve GamStop’d myself from all online gambling which is a great tool I’d urge anyone who think they might be developing an addiction to use. All sites are now covered by it AFAIK. Only wish it had been available earlier!

calumhibee1
18-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Not a gambler myself but I’d love to see the whole industry be banned. I know some people can enjoy it sensibly but for the damage it causes to others it’s not worth it. Although I know a blanket ban on gambling would bring the inevitable underground issues I suppose.

Greenbeard
18-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Not a gambler myself but I’d love to see the whole industry be banned. I know some people can enjoy it sensibly but for the damage it causes to others it’s not worth it. Although I know a blanket ban on gambling would bring the inevitable underground issues I suppose.
Not before Talkischeap wins the National though please.