PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Gauld

brog
17-02-2020, 10:09 AM
I spent an enjoyable evening yesterday watching Ryan play for Farense. He was quiet in 1st half though had a part assist for their goal. 2nd half he was immense, best player on park by a mile. Laid on chance after chance which the Ucheesque strikers mostly contrived to miss. He had one assist, hit the post & really ran the game, which Farense won 3 1. My only criticism is that even for a left footed player he's very 1 footed. I was pleased to see he was wearing #23 in green lettering. He's on 1st year of a 2 year contract & he's certainly capable of stepping up if Farense don't get promoted. Another highlight was bottles of heinie on sale in ground for £1. Unfortunately the lowlight was 1 toilet with a whole 2 urinals to dispose of the heinie!

DaveF
17-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Not happy at you getting a beer in the ground. We went to see Portimao last year and they only sold alcohol free which was a real downer.

Must be a top league thing.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2020, 10:18 AM
I had a bottle of Heineken at the Villa game yesterday.

£4 but I just thought I should.

Sudds_1
17-02-2020, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately the lowlight was 1 toilet with a whole 2 urinals to dispose of the heinie!

My lowlight happened at murrayfield a few years ago. Half time...off for a pee. 3 queues so took the shortest one. Q1 was to the urinals...q2 to the traps.

And my queue was to a big black dustbin wi a poly bag inside. So high i couldnt even getmy tadge over the edge.🤣🤣🤣

brog
17-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Not happy at you getting a beer in the ground. We went to see Portimao last year and they only sold alcohol free which was a real downer.

Must be a top league thing.

I meant to go & see Portimonense last year also but didn't happen unfortunately. At moment Farense are more likely to be in top league than Portimao next season. Would be good to have 2 Algarve teams in top flight.

neil7908
17-02-2020, 12:36 PM
I was really excited when he joined on loan but didn't work out for whatever reason.

What was the standard like? How would it be compare to Scottish football?

Gmack7
17-02-2020, 01:12 PM
I had a bottle of Heineken at the Villa game yesterday.

£4 but I just thought I should.

i had a bottle of Budvar at the playhouse on Saturday £6.50, i wish i hadn't. nice to hear Ryan had a good game👍

brog
17-02-2020, 01:31 PM
I was really excited when he joined on loan but didn't work out for whatever reason.

What was the standard like? How would it be compare to Scottish football?

Good question. Quite hard to compare & even on day it was like 2 different games. 1st half think Dumbarton vs Forfar, 2nd, Dundee Utd v Hamilton. What was really surprising was lack of technical ability. Farense are a big team, very athletic but technically poor, took an age to accept a pass & move it on. The officials were however well up to Scottish standards, the players basically ignored them! Think the ref booked 10 & there was only one bad, professional foul, that was a certain card.

EI255
17-02-2020, 06:09 PM

What was the standard like? How would it be compare to Scottish football?Certainly wouldnt want him back at Hibs.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

brog
17-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Certainly wouldnt want him back at Hibs.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

You would if you had seen him yesterday.

Fuzzywuzzy
17-02-2020, 07:06 PM
I spent an enjoyable evening yesterday watching Ryan play for Farense. He was quiet in 1st half though had a part assist for their goal. 2nd half he was immense, best player on park by a mile. Laid on chance after chance which the Ucheesque strikers mostly contrived to miss. He had one assist, hit the post & really ran the game, which Farense won 3 1. My only criticism is that even for a left footed player he's very 1 footed. I was pleased to see he was wearing #23 in green lettering. He's on 1st year of a 2 year contract & he's certainly capable of stepping up if Farense don't get promoted. Another highlight was bottles of heinie on sale in ground for £1. Unfortunately the lowlight was 1 toilet with a whole 2 urinals to dispose of the heinie!

Is the ground easy enough to get to from Olhos de agua (as if you're likely to know🤣🤣).

brog
17-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Is the ground easy enough to get to from Olhos de agua (as if you're likely to know🤣🤣).

😊 I went by car but easy enough by bus. Just a few euros.

Fuzzywuzzy
17-02-2020, 07:48 PM
😊 I went by car but easy enough by bus. Just a few euros.

Cheers for this!!

Speedway
18-02-2020, 12:03 PM
You would iy you had seen him yesterday.

We saw what he could do for Hibs. The answer was get injured and then get fit and then get kicked off the ball.

hibbydad
18-02-2020, 12:06 PM
I really don't think he is suited to scottish football not strong enough

Coco Bryce
18-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Far too powder puff for the Scottish game.

CapitalGreen
18-02-2020, 12:20 PM
You would if you had seen him yesterday.

Is that in the match you described as “1st half think Dumbarton vs Forfar, 2nd, Dundee Utd v Hamilton”. I think I’ll pass.

brog
18-02-2020, 12:24 PM
I really don't think he is suited to scottish football not strong enough

He & the #8 from the away team were the smallest, but best players on the park. The average player in the game I saw was bigger & more physical than in Scotland, there were 10 bookings! Ryan seems to have bulked up a bit, I'm sure he could prosper in Scotland. !'m not advocating a return, just sharing info.

brog
18-02-2020, 12:25 PM
Is that in the match you described as “1st half think Dumbarton vs Forfar, 2nd, Dundee Utd v Hamilton”. I think I’ll pass.

The Dundee Utd & Hamilton we drew with this season?

CapitalGreen
18-02-2020, 12:29 PM
The Dundee Utd & Hamilton we drew with this season?

I aspire to greater than that, maybe Dundee Utd will take him with their Shankland windfall.

brog
18-02-2020, 02:25 PM
I aspire to greater than that, maybe Dundee Utd will take him with their Shankland windfall.

There's plenty of top players who've been with poor clubs, Leigh G & Jackie Mac when with us as an example. I don't think RG will be going anywhere soon. He's contracted to Farense until summer 2021 & if they get promoted this season he'll be playing against likes of Benfica & Porto with chance of a big pay day if he does well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Looks like a player suited to warmer weather and less physical football. Playing in the Portuguese First Division, if his current team get there, isn't a bad way to spend your career.

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2020, 03:27 PM
There's plenty of top players who've been with poor clubs, Leigh G & Jackie Mac when with us as an example. I don't think RG will be going anywhere soon. He's contracted to Farense until summer 2021 & if they get promoted this season he'll be playing against likes of Benfica & Porto with chance of a big pay day if he does well.

Steady!

Leigh G and Jackie Mac both loved our club

Starting to wonder about Sparky kissing the badge though

Might have turned native on us 😁

brog
23-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Ryan scored 2 on Friday as Farense won 3 0 away. They remain 2nd, 2 points back but are now 5 points clear of 3rd team.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2020, 06:19 PM
Thought it worth mentioning that ex loanee Ryan Gauld has helped Farense gain promotion to the Portuguese Primera Liga and that he has been named as 2019/20 LigaPro Player Of The Year as voted for by Managers and Club Captains beating off fierce competition for this award

It will be interesting to see how he gets on in the new season in the top league

Well done Ryan and good luck!

(Apologies if posted elsewhere)

The Modfather
01-09-2020, 06:33 PM
Thought it worth mentioning that ex loanee Ryan Gauld has helped Farense gain promotion to the Portuguese Primera Liga and that he has been named as 2019/20 LigaPro Player Of The Year as voted for by Managers and Club Captains beating off fierce competition for this award

It will be interesting to see how he gets on in the new season in the top league

Always good to hear Scottish guys doing well abroad. He’ll probably not ever live up to his early hype but could still have a good career and as one of a few from his generation to play abroad (Bates, Henderson etc) hopefully makes it more normal for the generations following on to give serious thoughts to playing abroad.

marinello59
01-09-2020, 06:40 PM

I’ve never been more gutted at a signing not working out at Hibs than I was with Ryan Gauld. Delighted he is doing well , guess we weren’t a good fit for him but injury didn’t help. I still remember watching him for the Arabs against us and being blown away at just how talented he was.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2020, 06:43 PM
I’ve never been more gutted at a signing not working out at Hibs than I was with Ryan Gauld. Delighted he is doing well , guess we weren’t a good fit for him but injury didn’t help. I still remember watching him for the Arabs against us and being blown away at just how talented he was.
Looked too lightweight to me with lots of nice touches but like everyone on here I am HIBS daft and was praying for him to do well but as you say his time here was blighted by injury...frustrating as....

Good luck to him!

neil7908
01-09-2020, 07:20 PM
I was delighted when we signed him. Still wonder if he could be a cracking player in Scotland with the right system and guys around him.