PDA

View Full Version : Rangers V Livingston, setting a precedent???

where'stheslope
17-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Having postponed the game on Saturday, and it is then scheduled to be played on Sunday?

I know you can be asked to do this in Europe and in cup competitions, but I've never heard of this with league games???

I know that Rangers have a glut of games to be played before the split, but to schedule a game in one day later is unheard of!

The other strange weekend call off was at Motherwell, the TV showed the referee running around the pitch with the ball free running, bouncing it and the ball never stuck?

Then calling off the game, it was weird to say the least, seeing games played all over the country in recent weeks in far worse conditions?

It smacks of the referee has been got at by the teams involved to postpone the game!!!!!

Captain Trips
17-02-2020, 10:21 AM
I think it was very good to play game next day but that can affect who can go etc if no real time to plan.

delbert
17-02-2020, 10:25 AM
I think it was very good to play game next day but that can affect who can go etc if no real time to plan.

Going back a bit but late seventies, Hibs played Motherwell on a Monday night, abandoned 20 mins in due to fog at 1-1, replayed the following night and Hibs won 1-0, I was at both.

Antifa Hibs
17-02-2020, 10:27 AM

Yep. So long as fans who bought tickets, hospitality etc get credited I think its a good idea.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2020, 10:30 AM
To get the fixtures cleared up, this makes sense but the cynic in me says, that had this been an Old Firm game with a 12.00 Saturday KO, and no TV space to show the re-scheduled fixture on Sunday, then there might have been a different call made.

southern hibby
17-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Listening to the radio on Saturday and it was discussed and the presenters said that under UEFA rules this was the way it was supposed to be and the SFA was only implementing those rules.

They then discussed ( I kid you not ) how this would help fans coming from NI as they could get to the game as they could make alternative arrangements to stay over. Now I would have thought folk travelling to a game would have more chance of making the replay if it was pencilled in at a later date as they could make arrangements.

Also say it’s pencilled in for the next day and it’s then cancelled again do we reschedule for the next again night? In no way am I an expert but I get the feeling this rule has been used by the SFA to help The Rangers out of fixture congestion or possibly they are scared that when the split comes Livingston may need this game to confirm being in the top 6 ( though I think the will ) and it will cause mayhem not knowing fixtures or exactly who’s in top/bottom 6.

so can we assume that when we play ICT on the Friday night and if the game is cancelled we are then going to play on the Saturday?

GGTTH

Carheenlea
17-02-2020, 11:11 AM
I was at The Science Centre with the family on Saturday and passed Ibrox late morning where the burger vans and flag sellers were already pitched up and navy suited - brown brogue wearing hospitality guests were entering the main stand. I wondered afterwards when learning of postponement if they would end up getting two dinners out of it?

Peevemor
17-02-2020, 11:17 AM
I remember when Hibs first installed the under soil heating there were a few occasions where away matches were postponed due to bad weather and Hibs took the opportunioty to hastily arrange friendlies at ER - Man Utd. on boxing day, Celtic (Benny hat trick game) and Moscow Dynamo on a Friday night was one too IIRC.

I wondered at the time why we hadn't just reversed the home/away fixtures.

Anyway, if we could organise last minute friendlies, I don't see the problem with last minute rearranged matches. Whatever you do will never suit everyone anyway.

poulton hibs
17-02-2020, 01:14 PM
. I wondered afterwards when learning of postponement if they would end up getting two dinners out of it?

I was in hospitality at ER years ago (late 80's) for a game against Hamilton that got postponed. We had the full meal on the Saturday, tour of the ground etc and then got the meal again when the game was re-arranged. Presume they do the same now otherwise the food would just go to waste.

Keith_M
17-02-2020, 01:16 PM
Apparently the actual attendance at Ibrox was pretty low.

I hope as many of those bigoted, in-bred, soap dodging Zombies were inconvenienced as possible.

Oh and Stevie G was moaning after the game about the Refereeing decisions that went against them, and pretty much called the officials incompetent. I presume he'll be hit with a fine/ban, the same as any manager of a non-OF club

Jones28
17-02-2020, 02:18 PM
To get the fixtures cleared up, this makes sense but the cynic in me says, that had this been an Old Firm game with a 12.00 Saturday KO, and no TV space to show the re-scheduled fixture on Sunday, then there might have been a different call made.

There probably would be in the event of any televised games.

Chorley Hibee
17-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Apparently the actual attendance at Ibrox was pretty low.

I hope as many of those bigoted, in-bred, soap dodging Zombies were inconvenienced as possible.

Oh and Stevie G was moaning after the game about the Refereeing decisions that went against them, and pretty much called the officials incompetent. I presume he'll be hit with a fine/ban, the same as any manager of a non-OF club

Heard him say that too Keith, if Ross said that then he'd be up on a charge.

I won't hold my breath waiting on Gerrard receiving the same.

WhileTheChief..
17-02-2020, 02:26 PM
It smacks of the referee has been got at by the teams involved to postpone the game!!!!!

Smacks of paranoia on your part.

greenlex
17-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Smacks of paranoia on your part.

Yup. The decision was taken as it was playable but conditions were set to deteriorate and it would likely have been abandoned.

greeny
17-02-2020, 03:28 PM
Your memories playing tricks old son. Hibs were leading 1-0 when the Motherwell match was abandoned and it wasn't replayed the next night it was at least a week later.

delbert
17-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Your memories playing tricks old son. Hibs were leading 1-0 when the Motherwell match was abandoned and it wasn't replayed the next night it was at least a week later.

Fair enough, was sure it was 1-1 in the first game, our supporters bus went away and we had to wait nearly an hour and a half in the fog till it returned, everyone was freezing and soaked through, the good old days !

Sammy7nil
17-02-2020, 04:16 PM
I was at The Science Centre with the family on Saturday and passed Ibrox late morning where the burger vans and flag sellers were already pitched up and navy suited - brown brogue wearing hospitality guests were entering the main stand. I wondered afterwards when learning of postponement if they would end up getting two dinners out of it?

Went to hospitality years ago Hibs v Hamilton game called off at 1:00 pm we got food and drink and same again on the Wednesday night rescheduled fixture. Hibs won either 3-1 or 3-2 we voted Super Joe Tortolano MOM happy days.

1959 Hibby
17-02-2020, 04:26 PM

I was at both games too. The replay was definitely not the next night: it was played on a Monday evening followed by another game (against Dumbarton) on the Wednesday. Unusually one programme was produced for the two games.

pollution
17-02-2020, 04:33 PM
Listening to the radio on Saturday and it was discussed and the presenters said that under UEFA rules this was the way it was supposed to be and the SFA was only implementing those rules.

They then discussed ( I kid you not ) how this would help fans coming from NI as they could get to the game as they could make alternative arrangements to stay over. Now I would have thought folk travelling to a game would have more chance of making the replay if it was pencilled in at a later date as they could make arrangements.

Also say it’s pencilled in for the next day and it’s then cancelled again do we reschedule for the next again night? In no way am I an expert but I get the feeling this rule has been used by the SFA to help The Rangers out of fixture congestion or possibly they are scared that when the split comes Livingston may need this game to confirm being in the top 6 ( though I think the will ) and it will cause mayhem not knowing fixtures or exactly who’s in top/bottom 6.

so can we assume that when we play ICT on the Friday night and if the game is cancelled we are then going to play on the Saturday?

GGTTH

There were thousands of empty seats at the game. Not all from N Ireland surely.

Since452
17-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Makes you wonder

where'stheslope
17-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Yup. The decision was taken as it was playable but conditions were set to deteriorate and it would likely have been abandoned.
I bow to your knowledge on the reason for the games postponement, but I question what other referees are thinking in starting games in monsoon rain and gale force winds on the same day?

If one referee can call off a game on what might happen, then why are other referees not being informed by the SPFL of pending conditions, and given the right to postpone other games?

Remember the safety of players, staff and supporters is supposed to be paramount, yet for the last 2 weekends we have had 2 storms reeking havoc, and yet for some explicable reason we have seen games played in conditions that most sane people would not even venture out in!!!!!

southern hibby
17-02-2020, 06:33 PM

Definitely not but but the ones from our country wish they were from NI.

GGTTH

IberianHibernian
17-02-2020, 06:35 PM
Remember travelling to Firrhill for a cup replay in late 70s ( ? ) on a Monday night . Match postponed about half an hour before kick off . Think it was played the next night ( we lost ) . A Saturday friendly at Crystal Palace about the same time was announced the day before the game .