PDA

View Full Version : Will anything ever top that win in 2016?

Hibeesmad
16-02-2020, 10:12 PM
How about winning the Scottish Cup and Hearts getting relegated in the same season?

Jones28
16-02-2020, 10:15 PM
That would be beautiful.

Eyrie
16-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Nope.

We waited 114 years for 2016 so winning it after a four year gap won't have anything like the same impact.

And unlike Hearts we don't define ourselves by our local rivals. We judge Hibs by our standards and laugh at Hearts separately.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-02-2020, 10:18 PM
No.

wookie70
16-02-2020, 10:19 PM
No but I'd love to be wrong

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2020, 10:20 PM
No,nothing in football has ever made me feel like I did that day and I doubt anything ever will.

Carheenlea
16-02-2020, 10:20 PM
For anything to top 2016 it’s going to have to be a couple of generations away.

matty_f
16-02-2020, 10:21 PM
No,nothing in football has ever made me feel like I did that day and I doubt anything ever will.

Same here. I honestly think that was the pinnacle of watching football. We might get lucky and get something similar but I hugely doubt it.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2020, 10:22 PM
No.

Even winning the league wouldn't come close.

Young Hibbies will feel differently, but that cup win meant everything to me. It won't be surpassed.

calumhibee1
16-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Na. We could win the treble, we could even win the Champions League, but it wouldn’t be like that.

The 90+2
16-02-2020, 10:25 PM
Not a chance. That weekend was the greatest weekend of my life and it will never be passed (son being born 13 days later made it the best 2 weeks there’s ever been).

ABZHFC
16-02-2020, 10:26 PM
The only thing I could even see nearing it would be if we qualified for Europe, and then somehow won the whole thing (whilst not changing our club's identity, or spending stupid amounts of money).

Apart from that, no chance will anything ever come close to it. The best Hibs memory of my life was made on that day, and it will never be topped, I'm confident in saying that

B.H.F.C
16-02-2020, 10:27 PM
Na. But winning it again and doubling it up with a Hearts relegation would be a pretty decent second.

penihibs
No, 61 years old I'll never have a feeling like that again in my life.

The 90+2
Na. We could win the treble, we could even win the Champions League, but it wouldn’t be like that.

The feeling when the ball hit the net and when the ref gave that foul against them is something that can’t ever be bettered ever. For all the bickering that goes on and snide comments on here we all shared that moment either at the game or afar. It was the day we never ever thought would happen and it was won in the best way there could ever be imaginable.

The 90+2
16-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Na. But winning it again and doubling it up with a Hearts relegation would be a pretty decent second.

It would be job done when it comes to supporting Hibernian tbh :greengrin

hfc rd
16-02-2020, 10:33 PM
For anything to top 2016 it’s going to have to be a couple of generations away.

This

Sir David Gray
16-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Nope.

It actually makes me quite sad to think and realise that at 31 years old, I've experienced the highest point in my football supporting life.

Nothing will top what happened that day. Nothing at all.

HendoDelivered
16-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Nope.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2020, 10:40 PM
Pinnacle reached one of the peaks of Hibstory. It could not have been scripted any better. Other teams would likely say that about some of their wins but we had it throughout the run.

I’ll never tire of this work of genius. It sums it up (time for hero’s dvd aside)

You’re welcome ;)

For the sheer weight of history and the famous team and players that tried and failed, for the numerous hopes of multiple generations that came and went without anything but disappointment. But. Jambos -this magical moment happened on your watch... the one think like death and taxes you came to count on. Everything changed in that moment.

https://vimeo.com/168483051

GreenCastle
16-02-2020, 10:40 PM
No - no other football fans will ever have that feeling even if they win a cup.

What a story - what a day - what a game - what a time to be alive to be have been there ! You couldn’t script it. The replay - Conrad Logan..the semi..Stokes..the comeback..David Gray..the pitch invasion.

Champions League win or a Scottish League would be incredible but very unrealistic - Scottish Cup was possible it was just so hard for us to actually do - but when everything fell into place and all the stories along the way.

Best game ever aneed don’t forget we should have done the double that season!!

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Better to have lived and loved than to never have loved at all.

The 90+2
16-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Pinnacle reached one of the peaks of Hibstory. It could not have been scripted any better. Other teams would likely say that about some of their wins but we had it throughout the run.

I’ll never tire of this work of genius. It sums it up (time for hero’s dvd aside)

You’re welcome ;)

For the sheer weight of history and the famous team and players that tried and failed, for the numerous hopes of multiple generations that came and went without anything but disappointment. But. Jambos -this magical moment happened on your watch... the one think like death and taxes you came to count on. Everything changed in that moment.

Fs tears again. Anthony Stokes deserves a statue and I’m no even kidding.

Northernhibee
16-02-2020, 10:55 PM
Nope.

It actually makes me quite sad to think and realise that at 31 years old, I've experienced the highest point in my football supporting life.

I’m just grateful for an experience most people will never have in their lifetimes. That wasn’t even a once in a lifetime feeling that. I’ve said it before on here, my dad nearly died two or so weeks before and it was one of the toughest moments in my life, having a conversation with him on how he wanted me to look after my mum and find the right person to spend my life with if what was wrong turned out to be terminal. Thankfully it wasn’t and we still go to games.

It wasn’t and even thinking of those few hours of SDG’s goal, the lifting of the cup, SoL, getting the first train back to my parents straight after grabbing fish suppers and champagne heading up the road, hugging him at home and watching the highlights together that night - it’s not something I can say to people in person if they ask me what the win meant to me as it’s still enough to bring a tear to my eye.

From one of the darkest days in that hospital ward to the happiest in the space of two weeks and sharing it with 23,000 other Hibbys. I’ll always be grateful for that and don’t feel sad that it can’t be replicated, I just feel insanely lucky that it happened.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2020, 11:03 PM
I’m just grateful for an experience most people will never have in their lifetimes. That wasn’t even a once in a lifetime feeling that. I’ve said it before on here, my dad nearly died two or so weeks before and it was one of the toughest moments in my life, having a conversation with him on how he wanted me to look after my mum and find the right person to spend my life with if what was wrong turned out to be terminal. Thankfully it wasn’t and we still go to games.

It wasn’t and even thinking of those few hours of SDG’s goal, the lifting of the cup, SoL, getting the first train back to my parents straight after grabbing fish suppers and champagne heading up the road, hugging him at home and watching the highlights together that night - it’s not something I can say to people in person if they ask me what the win meant to me as it’s still enough to bring a tear to my eye.

From one of the darkest days in that hospital ward to the happiest in the space of two weeks and sharing it with 23,000 other Hibbys. I’ll always be grateful for that and don’t feel sad that it can’t be replicated, I just feel insanely lucky that it happened.

Thanks for sharing life has a funny way sometimes and thank god for that!

monktonharp
16-02-2020, 11:12 PM
No - no other football fans will ever have that feeling even if they win a cup.

What a story - what a day - what a game - what a time to be alive to be have been there ! You couldn’t script it. The replay - Conrad Logan..the semi..Stokes..the comeback..David Gray..the pitch invasion.

Champions League win or a Scottish League would be incredible but very unrealistic - Scottish Cup was possible it was just so hard for us to actually do - but when everything fell into place and all the stories along the way.

Best game ever aneed don’t forget we should have done the double that season!!as said. I never ever thought I would manage to see it . but, to be there and right next to my son, ( actually had a ticket for his older brother, that would not come up from Wales) was so so special. I cried when the final whistle went, and probably thousands like me did the same. that moment, that day, that oh so special memory will never be surpassed.

Hibs4185
16-02-2020, 11:18 PM
My wife gets annoyed when I rank that day as my number 1, over wedding day etc.

No competition

monktonharp
16-02-2020, 11:18 PM

From one of the darkest days in that hospital ward to the happiest in the space of two weeks and sharing it with 23,000 other Hibbys. I’ll always be grateful for that and don’t feel sad that it can’t be replicated, I just feel insanely lucky that it happened.Respect young man! the day that wont be forgotten, for you and your family.

FilipinoHibs
16-02-2020, 11:33 PM
No after the 114 year wait, losing the LC cup final and missing out on promotion nothing can top it.

The way it was won too. Coming back from 2 nil down away at our biggest rivals. Then 2-1 down against the hated SEVCO. Equalising late on then the injury time winner. Nothing will ever beat it.

NAE NOOKIE
16-02-2020, 11:38 PM
Not a chance ..... It took over a century to build up the mystique that cup held for us, if we were to win it again, or even by some miracle the league, the raw emotion generated that day could never be replicated.

That is not to say that I wouldn't get the same amount of joy from winning it again or winning the league .... It's just that it would be a different kind of joy, more along the lines of what any fan gets seeing their team win a trophy, which aint to be sniffed at.

As Hibs fans we are lucky ..... very very few fitba fans ever get to experience the emotion we did that day, no matter how many trophies they have seen their club win :aok:

Baader
16-02-2020, 11:40 PM
Usually I'm in a Yes camp...

But No!

southern hibby
16-02-2020, 11:41 PM
That day will always be special. I never ever thought I’d see it and always thought it would pass me by, like it did to thousands upon thousands of fans who were not lucky enough to be blessed like we were that day.

Can it ever be topped? Possibly but it would have to be the Euro millions and about a hundred week rollover to even come close.

GGTTH

AK86
16-02-2020, 11:49 PM
8-0 would be nice.

Haymaker
16-02-2020, 11:51 PM
Nope.

basehibby
16-02-2020, 11:53 PM
I doubt if anything will ever come close to the sheer outpouring of relief, disbelief and joy of winning the cup after 114 years of disappointment - and to do it in such rip roaring Roy of the Rovers style was unsurpassable!

By the way - for me having a giggle at our neighbours misfortune while fun doesn't really register on the Richter scale of Hibee joy - I couldn't really give a **** what they do as long as we do better. While I doubt 2016 will ever be surpassed, I still have plenty room for happiness in my heart - more Cup wins to add to the tally and many more derby victories will do fine thanks :thumbsup:

monktonharp
17-02-2020, 12:20 AM
I forgot to add, my prediction was.....and mentioned on here a while back, Hibs to win the SC cup within 5 years after 2016. It's coming home:greengrin

The 90+2
17-02-2020, 12:23 AM

Amazing story mate. Delighted it was a happy ending.

I could say similar and my brothers post here too but I would never want to jinx things 💚💚

HoboHarry
17-02-2020, 12:29 AM
A night with Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence would do it but I doubt that's happening any time soon so nope from me........

The 90+2
17-02-2020, 12:32 AM
A night with Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence would do it but I doubt that's happening any time soon so nope from me........

The climax wouldn’t be better. Nothing beats the ball hitting the back of the net. It’s on par for me with hearing my babies when being delivered safely into this world.

cocteautwin
17-02-2020, 12:35 AM
No. It’s probably not possible to recreate the situation that existed at the time in any sport never mind at our own Hibs. Even if HMFC got relegated, fluked their way to this year’s final and we beat them 5-1, it still wouldn’t be able to recreate the emotional condition of May 2016.

One of my earliest memories of Hibs in the Scottish Cup was the disappointment of being a primary school kid during the 1979 finals which culminated in me knocking on Colin Campbell’s door on Morton Street, asking to see his losers medal and being told to f* - *ck off by his housemate. I’d never have thought nearly 40 years later that I’d still be waiting to see Hibs win it.

Maybe Chicago Cubs win of 2016 after a 108 year wait might come close?

zitelli62
17-02-2020, 01:17 AM
Could win it for the next 10 years still wouldn't top 2016 for pure raw emotion once in a lifetime result.

Hibeesmad
17-02-2020, 01:46 AM
Majority of the responses are exactly how I feel. That weekend was the greatest of my life. All the **** we went through for generations was worth the wait. I have previously talked down Stubbs's record on here as a manager but what he did for this club, I would always welcome him back. After a few drinks tonight, I actually want him back.

Chorley Hibee
17-02-2020, 01:58 AM
My wife gets annoyed when I rank that day as my number 1, over wedding day etc.

No competition

I was married in 2017, and my best woman started her speech that day by thanking me for inviting her to the second best day of my life.

She wasn't wrong either!

Haymaker
17-02-2020, 05:18 AM

While that would be amazing.... it still wouldn't top That Day In May.

SingaporeHibs
17-02-2020, 05:26 AM
Nothing will ever come close to that day. Winning the league would come close but unless we scored the league winning goal right at the death of the final game having been 1-2 down with 10 to play then I just don’t see how the emotion could be replicated. Getting full body goosebumps thinking about it again

Since452
17-02-2020, 05:38 AM
A Champions League win wouldn't even feel as good

DaveF
17-02-2020, 05:58 AM
Losing the League cup final, getting beat from Falkirk and feeling as low as can be to then get the ultimate high is just what supporting Hibs is all about.

Will never be topped. Ever.

JimBHibees
17-02-2020, 06:13 AM

You’re welcome ;)

That video is epic and sums it up beautifully.

Superfurry72
17-02-2020, 06:18 AM
Not a chance. That weekend was the greatest weekend of my life and it will never be passed (son being born 13 days later made it the best 2 weeks there’s ever been).

I know how you feel - I got married two weeks later and my daughter was born later that year. A hat-trick impossible to surpass!

Robinho08
17-02-2020, 06:22 AM
I can't see anything topping that to be honest. What a day. 🇳🇬 🏆

Winning it this season and Herts going down would come a close second though. 🤔

Superfurry72
17-02-2020, 06:23 AM
It certainly wouldn’t better it, but beating Hearts by more than 5-1 in a final in the future would be funny.

flash
17-02-2020, 06:29 AM
It certainly wouldn’t better it, but beating Hearts by more than 5-1 in a final in the future would be funny,

That would comfortably better it particularly if people kept off the ******g pitch at the end.

bingo70
17-02-2020, 06:30 AM
I’d love us to win the cup watching it with my boy. He’s probably a bit too young to really appreciate it just now but if we were to win it in 2 or 3 years with him in the stands with me I reckon that’d top the 2016 win.

As a club I don’t think we could top that cup win, from a selfish point of view I think that’d top it for me.

Superfurry72
17-02-2020, 06:33 AM
That would comfortably better it particularly if people kept off the ******g pitch at the end.

I think 7-0 has a nice ring to it 😀

Diclonius
17-02-2020, 06:50 AM
The only thing that would come close would be beating Hearts in the Scottish Cup final.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2020, 06:52 AM
No.

Even winning the league wouldn't come close.

Young Hibbies will feel differently, but that cup win meant everything to me. It won't be surpassed.

:agree:

CL0762
17-02-2020, 07:09 AM
Nah, absolutely nothing will top that.

My most treasured possession is a photo of me, my grandad and my son all with our hands on the cup, on my birthday no less.

I’m so happy I got to see it, but knowing that he did before he passed away means the absolute world to me.

Sudds_1
17-02-2020, 07:22 AM
No. Best day of my life...surpasses even the 0 7. Cant watch even now without greetin!! 🤒🤒😃

BILLYHIBS
17-02-2020, 07:28 AM
Touch wood but getting a good vibe about this year but we need things to fall our way

Hearts knocking out The Rangers and someone knocking out Celtic would be just dandy :greengrin

:cb

Ronniekirk
17-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Maybe Beating Hearts 7 0 in a Scottish Cup Final would , but that was the Zenith All the circumstances contrived to climax in the the biggest outpouring of Overexbuerance thete has ever been at a Scottish Cup Final
Don’t think that will ever be surpassed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inglisavhibs
17-02-2020, 07:32 AM
How about winning the Scottish Cup and Hearts getting relegated in the same season?

Simple No

Since452
17-02-2020, 07:36 AM
I'm just so so thankful I was there to witness it. Think of all the tens of thousands of battle hardend Hibbys that have passed (god rest their souls) and generations yet to come that didn't get to see 21/5/16. I hope for them they'll see many more Scottish cup wins than us but nothing will ever top that day in May for this club. It was a pressure cooker ready to blow that casued us anxiety and stress year after year after year. Nothing will ever top the moment Henderson started to run with arms aloft. Nothing.

Every time I wach YouTube videos of fans in far away lands watching it in tears it hits me like a tonne of bricks. Not going to lie, it's up there with the birth of my daughter and my wedding day as the best days of my life.

Killiehibbie
17-02-2020, 07:39 AM
Not a chance.

McSwanky
17-02-2020, 07:42 AM
I wasn't even there,and I had to watch it on delay, but no. Nothing can beat that fateful day for me.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Nope.

I wouldn't swap it for anything but, in a strange way it's taken away a bit of enjoyment about going to games, I find myself sitting there thinking nothing is going to better that day.

HibeeHibernian4
17-02-2020, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't swap it for anything but, in a strange way it's taken away a bit of enjoyment about going to games, I find myself sitting there thinking nothing is going to better that day.

It’s massively improved mine. Defeats and draws bother me half as much as they used to. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve walked away from Easter Road properly angry since 2016.

.Sean.
17-02-2020, 08:48 AM
We could beat Hearts 8-0 in the final or win the league and personally it wouldn’t come close. 21/05/16 was the best day of my life by some distance and nothing football related will ever ever top it, and that doesn’t bother me.

We’ll have many more amazing days watching Hibs, but for all of us who endured the years of misery prior to the cup win and then were there to witness it, it’ll never be surpassed.

Generations down the line will have their own similar memories when we win it again but ours will always be the best :greengrin

Keith_M
17-02-2020, 08:52 AM
Yes.

Hearts getting relegated and me finally getting a date with Wolke Hegenbarth.

Preferably on the same day 😉

jacomo
17-02-2020, 08:52 AM

That’s a pretty incredible and memorable fortnight, tbf!

Hibby Gav
17-02-2020, 09:14 AM
impossible

ggtth

hibbyfraelibby
17-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Nothing can top 2016 but winning the Europa League in 2021 might come close😉

Just_Jimmy
17-02-2020, 10:10 AM
No,nothing in football has ever made me feel like I did that day and I doubt anything ever will.Even Liverpool winning the European cup or league?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Since452
17-02-2020, 10:15 AM
I can watch a clip of SDG scoring or hear the piano version of Glory Glory and instantly well up four years on. Says everything really.

Just_Jimmy
17-02-2020, 10:26 AM
In football terms I don't think so. Maybe in 20 years or so once the memory fades slightly but truthfully, I found it really difficult for the first few months after the final to care about football.

I'd hyped it up so much, anyone who didn't support Hibs could ever know what it meant and after it there was nothing to compare. I therefore felt it was a bit pointless after.

It's taken a few years to get back to REALLY caring but like others have said, I no longer get really angry about Hibs anymore. Even cup draws don't bother me, before I'd watch hoping to avoid Celtic away etc, now whatever happens happens and if we're going to win it, we will. If not who cares, I've seen it.

erin go bragh
17-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Winning the league after Hearts going 31 game’s undefeated and only needing a point at Dens . We win 5-0 at Ibrox to pip them on goal difference.
🤔😃😃

PeeJay
17-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Of course - winning the league! Would actually mean a lot more to me ...

half.time.draw.
17-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Nothing can touch that.
No way, we got a massive monkey off our backs.
Special day, when we were 2-1 down, I put my head in my hands and said give us a chance big man.
Perfect win.

Robbo6-2
17-02-2020, 02:57 PM
Another Scottish cup win could easily equal it.

Maybe this time no pitch invasion and the players and fans can enjoy a lap of honour

Vini1875
17-02-2020, 02:57 PM
I get what people are saying, but winning the league would top the Scottish Cup, because that seems so unlikely.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Even Liverpool winning the European cup or league?

Yes, grew up watching Liverpool winning everything so seen it all before. Hibs cup win just blew me away.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2020, 03:38 PM

Maybe this time no pitch invasion and the players and fans can enjoy a lap of honour

Not for me.

Obviously I want us to win, but 2016 will never be equalled never mind surpassed.

Just_Jimmy
17-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Yes, grew up watching Liverpool winning everything so seen it all before. Hibs cup win just blew me away.Fair play. I reckon you'll come pretty close when you finally clinch it this year though.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-02-2020, 04:01 PM
As Irvine Welsh wrote “Take the best O you’ve ever had, multiply it by a million, and you’re still nowhere near it,”

Viva_Palmeiras
17-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Yes, grew up watching Liverpool winning everything so seen it all before. Hibs cup win just blew me away.

Wow - even coming back from the dead to win against AC Milan? Massive praise indeed.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-02-2020, 04:06 PM
I get what people are saying, but winning the league would top the Scottish Cup, because that seems so unlikely.

Could winning the league be done in such dramatic fashion?
Everything was right there on the pitch unfolding in front of us. Amazeballs :)

Onion
17-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Nothing will ever top that day, as many of us had given up even dreaming of winning that Cup. In fact, would go as far to say that few if any other fans will experience what we went through.

itslegaltender
17-02-2020, 04:16 PM
my father and my son were with me at the 2012 cup final. As it went to 5-1 I argued with him that we should leave and he reluctantly agreed. He had been diagnosed with cancer the year before and was in the midst of fighting it.

The following year, he was tool ill to attend as my son and I sat there watching us beat again. My father died in the July of that year.

I bitterly regret to this day dragging him out of Hampden at the 2012 game before the final whistle.

On that glorious day in 2016, my son and I were there again. Im not ashamed to say I balled my eyes out during most of SOL thinking of my father and my Grandad from my mums side who had been a diehard Hibee for 80 years.

I well up every time I see clips of that game and to be honest SOL still gets me teary. I will never have that moment again in the same intense way I experienced it, but that makes it all the more special.

Northernhibee
17-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Fair play. I reckon you'll come pretty close when you finally clinch it this year though.

The manner of the victory is part of it too though. Everyone has known for months that Liverpool has won the league.

As little as twelve minutes before the final whistle it looked like another loss for Hibs. At the 90th minute there was every chance it would go into extra time and Sevco would get that one decision against us.

Liberal Hibby
17-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Not for me.

Obviously I want us to win, but 2016 will never be equalled never mind surpassed.

Yup still remember the entire weekend almost frame by frame. It makes all the years of hurt and mediocrity fall into nothing. Just the perfect day, real Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Since452
17-02-2020, 04:26 PM
The manner of the victory is part of it too though. Everyone has known for months that Liverpool has won the league.

As little as twelve minutes before the final whistle it looked like another loss for Hibs. At the 90th minute there was every chance it would go into extra time and Sevco would get that one decision against us.

I still thought we'd somehow contrive to lose after SDG scored

shetlandhibee
17-02-2020, 04:56 PM
if hibs win the league next season then the champions league the following season it still wouldnt be as good as that day!! so its a no from me:agree::thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
17-02-2020, 05:02 PM
As Irvine Welsh wrote “Take the best O you’ve ever had, multiply it by a million, and you’re still nowhere near it,”

H.

I really should try it ...

jax67
17-02-2020, 05:06 PM
No. Lost my old man to cancer 26/5/16.
He got to see us lift the Scottish cup.
Said it was the best day of his life.
GGTTH!!

Radium
17-02-2020, 05:14 PM

It also came at a point where we had lost one final, been knocked out of the play-offs and the narrative in the media was of a resurgent TRFC.

Real backs against the wall win, would take a league or european victory to top it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisski33
17-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Winning the league tbh for me

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2020, 05:28 PM
No, as has been said, winning the champions league wouldn't come close to topping it.

And we actually have Los Yambolinos with their 1902 guff and their 'special relationship' with the cup nonsense to thank for amping it up for us down the years.

Them, and the dull hacks with all this 'Buffalo Bill was still arrive' tired, cliche-ridden rubbish they used to spout.

Thanks, you dim muppets.

H18S NX
17-02-2020, 05:31 PM
NO!

Seveno
17-02-2020, 05:39 PM

You’re welcome ;)

Says it all for me. I have had so many disappointments in over 50 years of watching Hibs and nothing in football will ever touch the emotion of the day.

Winning 5-0 to beat Barcelona in the Champions League Final would be wonderful but still not quite near the final whistle blowing at Hampden on that day.

The 90+2
17-02-2020, 05:42 PM
I know how you feel - I got married two weeks later and my daughter was born later that year. A hat-trick impossible to surpass!

Congratulations 👍

Since452
17-02-2020, 05:44 PM
He lifted the cup properly too none of this one arm pish

The 90+2
That’s a pretty incredible and memorable fortnight, tbf!

Thanks mate 👍

Hi Heid Yin
The sheer drama of that Scottish Cup Final in 2016 made it the greatest day of my Hibby life.
We led.....they levelled....we fell behind and thought "here we go again!"....and those last 15 minutes were the stuff of footballing dreams...the finger-biting tension...then Stokes' leveller...followed in injury time by what felt like a miracle and an answer to those of us who literally were praying for a winner.....Gray's bulleted header to put us 3-2 up...minutes later the whistle blew and Sheer delirium erupted..Men wept openly...Nothing but nothing could trump the unbridled joy, the satisfaction and the relief we collectively felt as Hibbies that day.

The 90+2
17-02-2020, 06:01 PM
my father and my son were with me at the 2012 cup final. As it went to 5-1 I argued with him that we should leave and he reluctantly agreed. He had been diagnosed with cancer the year before and was in the midst of fighting it.

The following year, he was tool ill to attend as my son and I sat there watching us beat again. My father died in the July of that year.

I bitterly regret to this day dragging him out of Hampden at the 2012 game before the final whistle.

On that glorious day in 2016, my son and I were there again. Im not ashamed to say I balled my eyes out during most of SOL thinking of my father and my Grandad from my mums side who had been a diehard Hibee for 80 years.

I well up every time I see clips of that game and to be honest SOL still gets me teary. I will never have that moment again in the same intense way I experienced it, but that makes it all the more special.

Mate, sorry for your loss. Your post made me teary! We all have our background stories which made it all more special. It truly was the greatest game in history.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2020, 06:15 PM
Fair play. I reckon you'll come pretty close when you finally clinch it this year though.

Nah, clinching a league title that has looked likely for months doesn’t come close to the spontaneous excitement of Hibs clinching a cup final winner in the manner that they did. Also without sounding smug winning the Premiership is more of an event for the folk that think shouting about Liverpool not winning the title for thirty years is some sort of stick to beat LFC with. It’s just another league title that folk my age have seen plenty of previously. Younger LFC fans and other folk that think football only started with SKY TV or the premiership will regard it differently.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Wow - even coming back from the dead to win against AC Milan? Massive praise indeed.

Truthfully yes even better than Istanbul, hard to believe I know but never felt anything like it on that day in May. Probably the occasion of seeing fellow fans of a certain age breaking down as they finally witnessed something their fathers hadn’t been able to, contributed to my feelings also.

The Spaceman
17-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Winning the league would be special and winning e.g. the Europa League would be absolutely mental. Either of those things would be the greatest achievement in our club's history ever by a long, long way.

The Scottish Cup falls into a different bracket entirely - it was a source of huge embarrassment and torment for our club. This tortured us for all of our hibs supporting lives and the relief, ecstasy and drama under which our victory happened is a mixture none of us will ever experience again. Winning the Scottish Cup is a major honour for any club (including the OF), but can you imagine us being crowned as League Champions or even European?!

Keith_M
17-02-2020, 06:25 PM

That would be nice.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2020, 06:27 PM
Truthfully w we yes even better than Istanbul, hard to believe I know but never felt anything like it on that day in May. Probably the occasion of seeing fellow fans of a certain age breaking down as they finally witnessed something their fathers hadn’t been able to, contributed to my feelings also.

I do understand that, but reading you say it just emphasises how special the cup win was.

I remember being in the Corstorphine Inn watching Liverpool winning that game and it was really incredible. I was so energised about the come back that I was babbling on to my wife about it until I realised that the glazed look in her eyes wasn't excitement. :hilarious

For a Liverpool fan to think that 21/5/16 was more special says a lot. You won't be surprised to learn that I agree.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2020, 06:36 PM
I do understand that, but reading you say it just emphasises how special the cup win was.

I remember being in the Corstorphine Inn watching Liverpool winning that game and it was really incredible. I was so energised about the come back that I was babbling on to my wife about it until I realised that the glazed look in her eyes wasn't excitement. :hilarious

For a Liverpool fan to think that 21/5/16 was more special says a lot. You won't be surprised to learn that I agree.

You also have to bear in mind that I have lived in Edinburgh since 92 and started to watch Hibs in 1990 so it’s not just like it was a day trip from Liverpool to watch the final. Hibs have definitely grown on me 😁

Speedway
17-02-2020, 06:36 PM
I took some heat on here for suggesting some hibbies were much more prepared to accept mediocrity since we won the cup. Many seemed to lose any ambition overnight. The pinnacle of following Hibs was achieved for them.

For me, a decade of domestic dominance in all competitions, however unlikely, would top that day as it would equal far more progress for us as a club.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2020, 06:50 PM
I took some heat on here for suggesting some hibbies were much more prepared to accept mediocrity since we won the cup. Many seemed to lose any ambition overnight. The pinnacle of following Hibs was achieved for them.

For me, a decade of domestic dominance in all competitions, however unlikely, would top that day as it would equal far more progress for us as a club.

Success over a decade is hardly a comparison against an occasion like the cup for final though is it. Many including me are describing the pure elation of the moment not the actual trophy success or how it would progress the club.

Sir David Gray
17-02-2020, 06:53 PM

That's kind of what I was getting at. We could win the Champions League and Premiership Double and whilst it would be amazing, I just don't think it would come close to the raw emotion and elation that I felt that afternoon.

Even as I type this and I think back to that day, I feel quite emotional and my spine tingles.

I honestly don't think any other game will make me feel that way again and although I'm delighted it happened, I do feel quite sad that for the rest of my life, no other football match will give me such a high again.

scuttle
17-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Maybe a big win on the lottery but little else in all honesty

Speedway
17-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Success over a decade is hardly a comparison against an occasion like the cup for final though is it. Many including me are describing the pure elation of the moment not the actual trophy success or how it would progress the club.

But the question is ‘would anything top that?’ And my post described what would top it for me.

Cardinal G
17-02-2020, 07:02 PM
Not for me.

Same here, nothing will capture those moments when it dawned on us that we were finally breaking our duck after 114 years.

Weegreenman
17-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Winning the league 👌🏿

Cardinal G
17-02-2020, 07:08 PM

Teary myself reading that and I can feel your pain.
My mam died day of semifinal so was numb that day, come final day I thought back to my dad taking me in 1979 and I lost him some 20 years ago but I stood on virtual same spot as in 79 and felt him standing alongside me on 21st May.
Nothing will ever come close to the emotion and its release on that day.

G B Young
17-02-2020, 07:09 PM
If I had been told after that day that I could never attend another Hibs match I would probably have accepted that because I personally don't believe it will ever be topped for sheer, all-consuming emotion.

Such was its impact that I can honestly say I am a little less fervent about Hibs these days. By that I don't mean I love them any less, I just seem to be able to put football in perspective a bit more and adopt a slightly calmer, more rational approach to it now that such a weight has been lifted.

Onceinawhile
17-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Absolutely not. The sheer release of 114 years of pent up disappointment with an almost last minute winner having been behind will never be beat.

Winning it at any point would still be massive, but not the same.

weecounty hibby
17-02-2020, 09:01 PM
It was just the whole build up to it as well. 114 years, Hibsing it, losing in the play offs, losing the LC final, 10 previous losing finals in a row, 1-2 down with 15 to go, winner in injury time, Leith on the Sunday, the hurt from the Tarts and the huns. The most special day in my life and I have been married twice and have three kids!! I'd like to win the league though to see if it would come close!

CentreLine
17-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Right! Cut it out with these happy happy recollections and regular threads remembering that glorious day and subsequent celebrations. Spare a thought for people that missed the final because they booked a holiday over a year earlier. It was great watching on an iPhone on a cruise ship in Alaska but it was 8 in the morning and not another soul on the ship was interested. Asking on behalf of a friend you understand 😢

Pretty Boy
17-02-2020, 09:19 PM
Winning the league would be a bigger achievement. Given the duopoly, now monopoly, that has existed in Scottish football for so long for a team to better that pair over an entire season would be impossible to rival in the Scottish context.

However even winning the league wouldn't top the absolute outpourint of emotion of May 2016. A last minute winner, against Rangers, scored by the captain, after losing one final and a play off a few days earlier. That moment and everything that followed was just amazing. That Saturday night I was totally drained and never really celebrated, I managed 2 pints before I went home and just crashed. The next few weeks and months I genuinely felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders; in the grand scheme of things football isn't that important but that day made me feel like I was walking on air and the feel good factor carried on and on and on.

For a short answer to the OP the answer is no. In my opinion nothing in football will ever top that day regardless of what we go on to do in the years to come.

heretoday
17-02-2020, 09:24 PM
I very much hope something does come along to top it.
It'd have to be a big win over Hearts in the cup final. I can't see us winning the league in my lifetime.

IWasThere2016
17-02-2020, 09:30 PM
No, and in all honesty I've struggled to muster as much enthusiasm about Scottish fitbaw since. It was such a high.

It was a day I never thought I'd see and I was only 49 at the time and nothing will come remotely close.

Greencore
17-02-2020, 10:47 PM
If we went unbeaten for a season or got taken over by the man City owners, then maybe.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2020, 11:00 PM
You also have to bear in mind that I have lived in Edinburgh since 92 and started to watch Hibs in 1990 so it’s not just like it was a day trip from Liverpool to watch the final. Hibs have definitely grown on me 😁

Whippersnapper! :wink:

HoboHarry
17-02-2020, 11:48 PM
Right! Cut it out with these happy happy recollections and regular threads remembering that glorious day and subsequent celebrations. Spare a thought for people that missed the final because they booked a holiday over a year earlier. It was great watching on an iPhone on a cruise ship in Alaska but it was 8 in the morning and not another soul on the ship was interested. Asking on behalf of a friend you understand 😢
One .netter was in the back of a removal truck in Cleveland Ohio when SDG scored and was getting told to keep the noise down by his wife and son......

The 90+2
18-02-2020, 12:25 AM

Gutted for anyone that wasn’t there. It would personally haunt me for the rest of my life. I always thought I would miss it too.

Clarence
18-02-2020, 12:37 AM
Doing a Leicester and winning the league would be pretty amazing. I get my people are saying nothing could top it but winning the league would surely be right up there.

Haymaker
18-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Doing a Leicester and winning the league would be pretty amazing. I get my people are saying nothing could top it but winning the league would surely be right up there.

Difference between the two for me is if we were to win the league, we'd know we had a chance for weeks/months in advance. While it would be utterly amazing the pure outburst of emotion that resulted from Hendersons corner was just unbelievable.

Unless of course... we were needing a goal in the 90+2 minute of the last game of the season. Kinda like Aguero for City.

CentreLine
18-02-2020, 05:36 AM
One .netter was in the back of a removal truck in Cleveland Ohio when SDG scored and was getting told to keep the noise down by his wife and son......

Empathy empathy 😕
And then this shower lucky buggers keep going on about It without a thought for those that missed it. Thoughtless bunch of wonderful Hibbies that they are 🤗