PDA

View Full Version : Flying wingers: Nijinsky or starman?

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2020, 12:50 PM
Bit of a quiet day today had me thinking who is the fastest winger ever to wear the green jersey?

Was it a young Arthur Duncan freshly out of his shower hair dripping wet flying down the slope full turbo on ?

Is it the Rocket Man Martin Boyle in the mood fully fit and flying?

Is it the Ibrox hatrick hero Ivan Sproule?

Or is it Ivan Sproule on a motorbike the enigma that was Alan OBrien?
( Who can forget his jet propelled debut at Stirling Albion that turned into a damp squib)

My early memories are of Alex Scott burning up the grass down the right wing but I suppose his better days were behind him by the time he joined our great club

Eric Stevenson ( The Rebel )?

Probably between Nijinsky and Starman

Any other candidates I might have missed out?

PercyHibs
14-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Didier Agathe was rapido

Keith_M
14-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Sproule would be my choice.

Head down, scoot up the wing... sometimes had to pay at the Turnstyle to get back into the ground.

What a guy!

EDIT: Just found THIS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GySIAOO8PZE&list=PL390B8CD5B4457E8D&index=11&t=0s) tribute on YouTube

surreyhibbie
14-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Arthur Duncan for me, he was lightning fast.

:agree:

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2020, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=PercyHibs;6084181]Didier Agathe was rapido[/QUOTE

ancient hibee
14-02-2020, 01:03 PM
Any other candidates? I realise that they were before your time but I think our two all-time highest scoring wingers deserve a shout:greengrin.

For pace you can’t compare different eras but Arthur was the most consistently good over a long period and was still pretty quick when he moved to full-back.

Bostonhibby
14-02-2020, 01:05 PM
Arthur Duncan by some distance, pace, trickery, entertainment and goals, a very effective player who was a nightmare to play against as he didn't know what he was going to do himself sometimes.

I loved Sproule and am a huge fan of Boyle as well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

gramskiwood
14-02-2020, 01:07 PM
I remember Arthur Duncan running so fast down the right wing, he couldn't stop and went over the wall.

Fanforlife
14-02-2020, 01:13 PM
George McNeill by far the fastest to ever play for Hibs!

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2020, 01:14 PM
Any other candidates? I realise that they were before your time but I think our two all-time highest scoring wingers deserve a shout:greengrin.

For pace you can’t compare different eras but Arthur was the most consistently good over a long period and was still pretty quick when he moved to full-back.

I must admit never saw Baker Smith Reilly Ormond and I heard that the original Ally Macleod was no slouch either

I watch Boyle closely at games but I still keep going back to Arthur for sheer speed pretty sure he entered himself in the Powderhall Sprint on New Years Day :greengrin

Wait one cotton picking minute I think I have just answered my own question:

George McNeill

Viva_Palmeiras
14-02-2020, 01:17 PM
We need a Bryan Jacks Superstar challenge at the beginning of the season.
60 yard dash
800 metres
Cycling
Swimming
Squats
Chin ups
Bench presses

Gloucester Hibs
14-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Can only really comment on 'fast' players I've actually seen so from around 1989-ish. Sproule is the fastest of the lot IMO. One player (along with SJM and SDG) I really wish had managed a goal v Hearts, he'd have loved that. Had a great finish on him too but maybe lacking the awareness, passing, and close control of Martin Boyle. O'Brien was a complete dud and was playing at several levels higher than he ever should have been; amazing he was pretty much a guaranteed starter for 2 successive seasons. One assist and zero goals his total contribution IIRC. Notable mentions also to Agathe and Rougier.

Bobo
14-02-2020, 01:26 PM
I remember Arthur Duncan running so fast down the right wing, he couldn't stop and went over the wall.

I remember that .... I'm sure they thought about leaving one of the gates open for him 🤣😉

Jack
14-02-2020, 01:26 PM
There was a point on Wednesday when the Squirrel ran down the wing and the move didn't quite come off I turned to my old school friend of 50 or so years and said "Open the gates" we laughed.

If it had been almost 50 years ago and we were in our usual place on the terrace of the East instead of sitting in the West I would have probably shouted it!

The 90+2
14-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Alan O’Brien.

Anthony Soprano
14-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Sproule, no question.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-02-2020, 01:52 PM
We need a Bryan Jacks Superstar challenge at the beginning of the season.
60 yard dash
800 metres
Cycling
Swimming
Squats
Chin ups
Bench presses

Surely there is some legs in this?

The Hibs media should be creating some retro content here, it’d be great to see the players facing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vault Boy
14-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Michael Nelson.

Boyle from my memory but I didn't see as much of Sproule in his first spell for us, so it's bound to be a close one. Both great to watch, but Boyler is the better player IMO.

franck sauzee
14-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Between Sproule and Agathe for the players I've seen for Hibs. With Agathe it maybe wasn't until he went to Celtic that I realised just how ridiculously quick he was. The game against Juventus it seemed like the never knew who he was. Constantly bombing down their right. There was a point where the left winger. Presume it was Nedved and their left back doubled up on him so he just knocked it way past both and ran onto it.

The Spaceman
14-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Ivan Sproule one of the fastest players I have ever seen full stop, never mind for us. Loved it when he used to get his head down and have a go.

.Sean.
14-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Sproule for me no question

mjhibby
14-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Those of a certain age will know Duncan was by far the quickest seen at er. His turn of pace from a standing start was unrivalled. Boyler second and Ivan just behind

Col L
14-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Good Friday debate, I like it!

If you speak to anyone who trained or played with Arthur Duncan (and that includes one-time Hibs signing George McNeill - the world's fastest man for a while) they will say his speed was unbelievable. He would routinely win the 100 metre sprints Eddie Turnbull was so fond of and could basically burn off anyone else he played against.

I only saw Arthur in his twilight Hibs years myself, so in my own experience, I would say Sproule, Agathe and Boyle are among the quickest I've seen in a Hibs shirt. Durie was also really pacy in his Hibs days. Alan O'Brien was fast - just a shame he was sh*te the moment you put a ball at his feet!

Does anyone remember Mark Caughey, who we signed around 85/86 at the same time as Beastie McCluskey? He was meant to be a flying machine, but when he arrived he was as fast as a fortnight.

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Good Friday debate, I like it!

If you speak to anyone who trained or played with Arthur Duncan (and that includes one-time Hibs signing George McNeill - the world's fastest man for a while) they will say his speed was unbelievable. He would routinely win the 100 metre sprints Eddie Turnbull was so fond of and could basically burn off anyone else he played against.

I only saw Arthur in his twilight Hibs years myself, so in my own experience, I would say Sproule, Agathe and Boyle are among the quickest I've seen in a Hibs shirt. Durie was also really pacy in his Hibs days. Alan O'Brien was fast - just a shame he was sh*te the moment you put a ball at his feet!

Does anyone remember Mark Caughey, who we signed around 85/86 at the same time as Beastie McCluskey? He was meant to be a flying machine, but when he arrived he was as fast as a fortnight.
Juke Box was electric

I remember we got him a Sprint Coach shortly after we signed him from East Fife worked on his upper body strength and he was dynamite over 20 yards

Hibby Bairn
14-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Sproule was quicker than Boyle imo.

Greenbeard
14-02-2020, 02:42 PM
Those of a certain age will know Duncan was by far the quickest seen at er. His turn of pace from a standing start was unrivalled. Boyler second and Ivan just behind
Seconded, with George McNeill discounted as not a first team regular. However I remember Duncan being more of a boot-it-past-the-defender-then-outsprint-him sort of player. The way Boyle has improved I think he can beat a man better with a combo of speed'n'jink. Duncan was "nae-jinksy".
Didn't see enough of Sproule to judge in comparison.

HendoDelivered
14-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Sproule for me as well.

Cat Stanton
14-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Didier Agathe was rapido

He was only there for three weeks - doesn't count.

Diclonius
14-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Alan O'Brien.

Sadly, running was the only thing he could do.

HibsGW
14-02-2020, 03:00 PM
If we’re all serious and take nostalgia/current favourite player aside its absolutely Sproule. Guy was a bang average footballer who was one of our most dangerous players cos he had world class level pace

hibby rae
14-02-2020, 03:00 PM
I don't doubt players like Duncan were quick. But there is no way they'll be faster than their counterparts like Boyle or Sproule in the modern era. Better training, footwear, playing surfaces, diet etc will see to that.

Compare sprinters times from the 60s and 70s to now, they are slower. Also even in as short a space of time as 40 or 50 years, humans physical attributes will have changed e.g. keepers are on average far taller than they were then.

O'Rourke3
14-02-2020, 03:18 PM
Nijinski. Arthur was fast when it was still legal to tackle at waist height. Scotland cap when it was difficult to get caps and in my playground comparison a Scotland caps outranks an Australian one. Sure Ivan managed an NI Cap. Loved him and Boyle but both have a long way to go to match Mr Duncan.

Baader
14-02-2020, 03:29 PM
Sproule's the fastest I've seen. Remember seeing Arthur play a bit at the end of his career so obviously can't compare him to Ivan on that. Arthur I remember scoring seconds after kick off in one game at ER in the early 80s.

superfurryhibby
14-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Hard to say who i/ was the fastest, but Arthur Duncan’ had by far the best Hibs career. His goals scoring ratio was fantastic and he’s made more appearances for Hibs than any other player.

MagicSwirlingShip
14-02-2020, 03:36 PM
If we’re all serious and take nostalgia/current favourite player aside its absolutely Sproule. Guy was a bang average footballer who was one of our most dangerous players cos he had world class level pace

Mind his half volley against the Huns into the Away end from the edge of the box? Superb strike.

There was a period he was unplayable.

darwenhibby
14-02-2020, 03:39 PM
Seem to remember Gareth Evans was no slouch
Arthur Duncan my first favourite Hibs player

tamig
14-02-2020, 03:39 PM
Boyle has a long way to go before he can be compared to Arthur Duncan.

CloudSquall
14-02-2020, 03:56 PM
For some reason thinking about Sproule brought back memories of Michael Hart, Aberdeen would regularly put him up against Sproule to nullify his speed as Hart had some pace, just our luck that when he signed for us his legs were well and truly gone.

heidtheba
14-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Not the fastest, but I loved watching Crunchie, O'Neill and Harper in action. Weir wasn't at his best when I started going and I feel I missed out.

Sammy7nil
14-02-2020, 04:07 PM

Correct but he never really got a game.

Duncan for me

Sammy7nil
14-02-2020, 04:10 PM
I don't doubt players like Duncan were quick. But there is no way they'll be faster than their counterparts like Boyle or Sproule in the modern era. Better training, footwear, playing surfaces, diet etc will see to that.

Compare sprinters times from the 60s and 70s to now, they are slower. Also even in as short a space of time as 40 or 50 years, humans physical attributes will have changed e.g. keepers are on average far taller than they were then.

Your argument does not really hold up as where are all the Scottish sprinters that are faster than Allan Wells of forty years ago.:confused:

Ray_
14-02-2020, 04:43 PM
I must admit never saw Baker Smith Reilly Ormond and I heard that the original Ally Macleod was no slouch either

I watch Boyle closely at games but I still keep going back to Arthur for sheer speed pretty sure he entered himself in the Powderhall Sprint on New Years Day :greengrin

Wait one cotton picking minute I think I have just answered my own question:

George McNeill

Peter Marinello was no slouch either, ran clear through the middle for those two goals at Ibrox October 69, which put us top [all too briefly].

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Peter Marinello was no slouch either, ran clear through the middle for those two goals at Ibrox October 69, which put us top [all too briefly].

Remember it well Ray

” Punchinello Rocks The Gers!” :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Arthur Duncan for me was the fastest winger i've seen, especially with the ball at his feet. Boyle has become a lot quicker with the ball, much quicker than Sproule ever was.

I'd say Sproule might have been quicker than Boyle in a race though, but put a ball in there and Boyle beats him hands down.

Topographic Hibby
14-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Its Arthur for me. Loved watching him play (1979 SCF replay excepted!!).

Then its a tie between Boyle & Sproule. Maybe Ivan just ahead with the Ibrox hattrick. But not a lot to choose between them.

Hi Heid Yin
14-02-2020, 05:19 PM
For me, absolutely no question it's Arthur Duncan....He was a whippet as he whooshed down that left wing.... and he could score goals too.
Another poster said that modern players like Sproule, with better training etc were faster, but this is a nonsense, because we have to assume that Arthur Duncan, with improved training etc would be an even faster player than he was.

Ray_
14-02-2020, 08:37 PM
For me, absolutely no question it's Arthur Duncan....He was a whippet as he whooshed down that left wing.... and he could score goals too.
Another poster said that modern players like Sproule, with better training etc were faster, but this is a nonsense, because we have to assume that Arthur Duncan, with improved training etc would be an even faster player than he was.

The quality of the pitches today would also be a major contributory factor.

Tambo
14-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Little mention for Chris Humphrey.

Robinho08
14-02-2020, 09:00 PM
Alan O'Brien looked rapid, but surely has to be Sproule during his first spell.

CLASS OF 72 -73
14-02-2020, 10:07 PM
If Erich Schaedler was a wing back would still be running!

hibby rae
14-02-2020, 11:59 PM
Your argument does not really hold up as where are all the Scottish sprinters that are faster than Allan Wells of forty years ago.:confused:

That probably says Scottish athletics hasn't kept up with other nations as they have progressed. Compare Olympic spinter times from then and now, and the conclusion is sprinters run faster.

hibby rae
15-02-2020, 12:03 AM

Yeah, that was me. But it's not nonsense, it's just stating a fact. Footballers are fitter now etc. So they will be better. That's not saying anying about their born abilities. But the original question on this thread was who was/is faster. And if a player from the 70s ,in their prime back in the day, went against a modern player, the modern player would probably win.

Sometimes on threads like this you get a lot of rose tinted spectacles. Were the Tornadoes a better team than todays? In the context of the day, yes. But if these teams played each other I would expect the current team to win. In the same way I'd expect an Andy Murray to defeat Fred Perry.

BILLYHIBS
15-02-2020, 03:10 AM
Maybe it’s a generational thing

My father used to tell me the Famous Five were better than The Tornadoes

The Tornadoes would definitely wipe the floor with the current lot :greengrin

Better organised better footballers every player a master of their position a better team imho

The Tornadoes were all different shapes and sizes not like today’s Adonis’s

Interesting too that all us oldies are instantly saying Arthur

There are plenty books and testimonials referring to Arthur’s speed and as others have said especially with the ball at his feet

scotiaf
15-02-2020, 03:28 AM
Ivan was the fastest I have seen in the flesh, however I believe defenders now have better pace than in his time. We don’t seem to have had many pacey players. Motherwell seem to have a new 1 every season

Paisley Hibby
15-02-2020, 07:45 AM

Indeed. Did he not become world professional sprint champion?

calumhibee1
15-02-2020, 08:35 AM
If all were talking about is pace then in my time it’s sproule by a mile.

calumhibee1
15-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Yeah, that was me. But it's not nonsense, it's just stating a fact. Footballers are fitter now etc. So they will be better. That's not saying anying about their born abilities. But the original question on this thread was who was/is faster. And if a player from the 70s ,in their prime back in the day, went against a modern player, the modern player would probably win.

Sometimes on threads like this you get a lot of rose tinted spectacles. Were the Tornadoes a better team than todays? In the context of the day, yes. But if these teams played each other I would expect the current team to win. In the same way I'd expect an Andy Murray to defeat Fred Perry.

Older guys with today’s facilities, sports science, nutrition etc is a different story. But if it’s just purely an “as they were/are” scenario then teams now would be athletically miles ahead.

Bobo
15-02-2020, 09:34 AM

Today's game is awash with soft centred, mamby pamby wannabes who feign injury and roll about at the slightest touch and who wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes playing in the 60's and 70's.

They're more interested in their hair styles and prancing about in coloured boots thinking they're superstars when the majority of them aren't worth a fraction of what they get paid.

Football used to be a mans game, it's not any more, and there are very few now who would survive playing back then and many more who would have had very short careers.

hibby rae
15-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Today's game is awash with soft centred, mamby pamby wannabes who feign injury and roll about at the slightest touch and who wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes playing in the 60's and 70's.

They're more interested in their hair styles and prancing about in coloured boots thinking they're superstars when the majority of them aren't worth a fraction of what they get paid.

Football used to be a mans game, it's not any more, and there are very few now who would survive playing back then and many more who would have had very short careers.

You don't think the Tornadoes cared about their hair? A look at them tells me they did 😂

When you talk about it being a 'man's game', then yeah that is one thing that has changed. Think of the numbers of players back then who could have played for longer were it not for disgraceful tackles being allowed.

Do players receive a lot more protection these days? Yes. Is that a good thing? Overall, yes. Thank god it's no longer a man's game.

Considering the challenges going in on Boyle mid-week. If this was back then he would probably be targetted every week and, given his current injury history, likely would have to retire early.

Bobo
15-02-2020, 10:09 AM
You don't think the Tornadoes cared about their hair? A look at them tells me they did 😂

When you talk about it being a 'man's game', then yeah that is one thing that has changed. Think of the numbers of players back then who could have played for longer were it not for disgraceful tackles being allowed.

Do players receive a lot more protection these days? Yes. Is that a good thing? Overall, yes. Thank god it's no longer a man's game.

Considering the challenges going in on Boyle mid-week. If this was back then he would probably be targetted every week and, given his current injury history, likely would have to retire early.

The Tornadoes may well have but wouldn't have to the extent of half the posers who prance about the pitch nowadays 🤣

I agree about the more protection being given nowadays and think there are a lot of so called superstars now who would have had very short careers had they played back then.

h1bs4life
15-02-2020, 10:10 AM
Arthur Duncan for me charging down the wing. Shouts of open the gates as it looked like he was'nt going to stop. Unfortunate to score the winning goal for the Huns with a diving header in 79 final , we should had a penalty in the 1st game but that's another story. Went onto Meadowbank ,think he is now in Australia

Phil MaGlass
15-02-2020, 10:20 AM
Arthur Duncan, even in his last games for Hibs he was uncatchable.

hibby rae
15-02-2020, 10:34 AM
The Tornadoes may well have but wouldn't have to the extent of half the posers who prance about the pitch nowadays 🤣

I agree about the more protection being given nowadays and think there are a lot of so called superstars now who would have had very short careers had they played back then.

You also forgot about Joe Baker's white boots 😉

Bobo
15-02-2020, 10:42 AM
You also forgot about Joe Baker's white boots 😉

Nah, he was a player and was worthy of wearing them as he was a standout already.

The majority of players wear fancy coloured boots now despite the fact that most of them are less than average on the pitch.

hibby rae
15-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Nah, he was a player and was worthy of wearing them as he was a standout already.

The majority of players wear fancy coloured boots now despite the fact that most of them are less than average on the pitch.

Tbf you don't get many all-black boots these days. And the better boots are in different colours.

ancient hibee
15-02-2020, 11:32 AM
Because of improved fitness you can’t compare different eras.What you can do is put teams and players in the context of the time they played.Therefore the famous five team was our best ever,the tornadoes were great entertainers but should have won more and Duncan was probably the fastest player in Scotland.

heretoday
15-02-2020, 11:36 AM

Older guys with today’s facilities, sports science, nutrition etc is a different story. But if it’s just purely an “as they were/are” scenario then teams now would be athletically miles ahead.

You can't compare different eras. One thing is true though - refs were far more lenient. As a result you didn't get so much play-acting which turns me right off today's game.

erin go bragh
15-02-2020, 11:44 AM
Ivan first time round was explosively fast . Probably the fastest I’ve seen playing for us .

Malthibby
15-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Wonderful player & fast as a very fast thing but stopping was a regular problem from memory. He just needed a longer pitch.
GG

Alfiembra
15-02-2020, 02:42 PM

I can confirm this fact as it was me that he landed on top of think I was about 15 at the time, I was up against the wall to the left of the cow shed when Arthur and I think the defender he’d just beaten ended up in the crowd. :greengrin

Weegreenman
15-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Alan O’Brien.

Not with the ball at his feet though. Terrible excuse for a footballer.

Clarence
15-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Kevin Harper was pretty rapid

KWJ
15-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Just on pace?

Kevin McAllister was a great watch.

A Hi-Bee
15-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Arthur Duncan for me with the ball, George McNeil without the ball was World Champion over 110yards, faster than Alan Wells. Shades could shift as well, perhaps faster than Duncan over longer distance, both great players for the club.

Weegreenman
15-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Just on pace?

Kevin McAllister was a great watch.

Loved watching Crunchie, don’t make them like him anymore.

Hi Heid Yin
15-02-2020, 05:19 PM
The quality of the pitches today would also be a major contributory factor.

:agree::aok:

Hi Heid Yin
15-02-2020, 05:20 PM

:wink: Opinions eh!

TRC
15-02-2020, 05:41 PM
Certain players are quick once up to speed, it's that explosive first yard of acceleration that sorts the fast from the lightning fast. For that in my memory it has to be sproule, Scott Brown before his first knee injury was fast aswell.

whiskyhibby
15-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Duncan no question 446 appearances and 73 goals, and a key component of the Tornadoes

ancient hibee
15-02-2020, 07:45 PM
Duncan no question 446 appearances and 73 goals, and a key component of the Tornadoes

That’s only league games.He played nearly 200 more games and scored over 100 goals in total.

Kato
15-02-2020, 07:56 PM
A couple of memories re-Arthur.

We used to skip school to watch Hibs train at Hunter's Hall and watching the training sprints was unreal. He'd give everyone a 15-20 yard start and effortlessly glide past them all.

Standing down at the front at ER at one game we noticed an injured sparrow on the pitch and shouted to Arthur who picked it up and gently put it on the trackside, Tam McNiven came and picked it up afterwards.

Also saw him chase a "wish" (dandelion seed) when the ball was down the other end - he caught it, shut his eyes, obviously making a his wish, and let it go.

Apart from being a great player he was strange cat.

Players are overall fitter today and if Arthur had had the benefit of those fine margins he'd be the fastest player around today. Even without them I still think he's the fastest I've ever seen. That day he hit the post at Wembley turned the match in England's favour, had it gone in I doubt the result would have so disastrous.

BILLYHIBS
15-02-2020, 08:11 PM
Arthur used to get the ball approach the defender slowly then kick the ball past him and burn him off with his pace

Goals that illustrate this tactic are fifth in the 5-3 Dryburgh Cup Final versus Celtic and the winner versus Hearts in the Scottish Cup at Tiny 1970 2–1

As others have said Erich Schaedler had some pace about him his wee legs going like drumsticks crashing into tackles

Arthur Duncan 114: 626
Most played as a fullback

Fanforlife
15-02-2020, 09:37 PM
Indeed. Did he not become world professional sprint champion?He did m8,now a cracking after dinner speaker,well he was last time i seen him🤣

JAY-ESS GREEN
16-02-2020, 02:05 AM
Remember the powderhall sprint ?

eezyrider
16-02-2020, 11:14 AM

In 1974- when Arthur Duncan was at his peak, the 100m world record was set at 9.9 seconds by Steve Williams. Usain Bolt's PB is 9.58 so the improvement in the in the intervening time is not that vast. Of course in Olympic terms, where every fraction of a second counts, it's massive.

EZ

cmcd
16-02-2020, 12:08 PM
In 1974- when Arthur Duncan was at his peak, the 100m world record was set at 9.9 seconds by Steve Williams. Usain Bolt's PB is 9.58 so the improvement in the in the intervening time is not that vast. Of course in Olympic terms, where every fraction of a second counts, it's massive.

EZ
Eric Stevenson was fast AND skillful Arthur Duncan was Fast but not as skillful. Two great wingers . Marinello could have been the best but left Hibs too soon and had his head turned down South

hibby rae
16-02-2020, 12:26 PM

EZ

Sprinting was just one example. Another would be marathon times, we now have a sub-2 hour record. It applies to all sports, football included. It could be argued as well that there have been far more improvements in football since then which would increase player performance.

BILLYHIBS
16-02-2020, 08:11 PM
Many thanks for your feedback folks

Having witnessed all three at their height and at the relevant stages of their careers and taking into account the relevant periods in time I am starting to think:

1) Duncan

2) Sproule

3) Boyle

I put this to my partner in crime a fellow Hibby of similar vintage before today’s game and he said “naw fastest definitely Sproule “????

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 09:56 AM
Things are quiet folks a wee tribute appeared on YouTube to Arthur Duncan courtesy of John Sparky

Rare footage of Dryburgh Cup Final 5-3 and Airdrieonians 2 v 6 HIBS

https://youtu.be/J80OWhK5gL0

The Spaceman
20-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Ivan Sproule.

Boyle the better footballer by a decent amount I'd say, but it didn't matter for Sproule as he was that fast. Only player I have seen where if there was a good amount of space, every single person would be on their feet. Boyle has that to an extent, but Sproule was far more deadly on a straight-line sprint.

hughio
20-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Eric Stevenson was fast AND skillful Arthur Duncan was Fast but not as skillful. Two great wingers . Marinello could have been the best but left Hibs too soon and had his head turned down South

This for me is true.

brog
20-03-2020, 11:10 AM

Of course IIRC Arthur effectively replaced Peter M. What a signing that was, a vast (for those days) profit & we signed a legend. We used to do that a lot, sell a star & buy a replacement almost simultaneously. Joe Davis for John Parke is another that springs to mind. Great days & a great thread.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Remember bring devastated when Colin Stein left but all was forgotten when we signed Joe McBride

Not sure about Boyler being more skilful than Arthur Duncan though

Arthur was quite skilful as has already been mentioned his favourite trick was slowing down with the ball then booting it past the full back as per the final goal on the video in the 5-3 Celtic game

Stevenson and Marinello were also very skilful and tricky Stevenson always had the full back in his back pocket and Nellos double at Ibrox in a 3-1 win spring to mind

I like Boyle as well he has improved immensely since joining us and is the player that most reminds me of Arthur but I tend to think of Arthur as being more prolific when he was played upfront

brog
20-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Things are quiet folks a wee tribute appeared on YouTube to Arthur Duncan courtesy of John Sparky

Rare footage of Dryburgh Cup Final 5-3 and Airdrieonians 2 v 6 HIBS

https://youtu.be/J80OWhK5gL0

What a great video, thx Billy! The wonder header by Alan Gordon on about 2+ mins in was the 3rd & winning goal against Aberdeen on 30 Dec 1972. I have never seen that goal since until now!! 2 days later the exact same 11 players popped over to Tiny & banged in 7!
Re the Drybrough Cup Final, my Dad was at the game with Tommy Younger & Tom Hart. When Arthur got the ball wide on the left TY's commentary went - - - " Can't believe Arthur's showing sense & taking the ball for a walk, for God's sake Arthur what are you doing, Gooooooal!" Arthur all over, you never knew what to expect!

Kato
20-03-2020, 11:34 AM
winning goal against Aberdeen on 30 Dec 1972. I have never seen that goal since until now!! 2 days later the exact same 11 players popped over to Tiny & banged in 7!

A few days before the Aberdeen game we scored 8 against a none-too-shabby Ayr Utd and few days before that we had beaten one of the best Celtc teams ever 2-1 in a national cup final. Heady days or what? I thought it was always like that tbh and took it for granted.

weecounty hibby
20-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Great video. Can folk post more of these types of link. I'm currently in bed with what the Dr has said is likely coronavirus so am not only isolated from the outside world but from the rest of the house as well so don't even have a TV to watch. Ta

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Great video. Can folk post more of these types of link. I'm currently in bed with what the Dr has said is likely coronavirus so am not only isolated from the outside world but from the rest of the house as well so don't even have a TV to watch. Ta

Nae bother!

Here is another dedicated to you and Brog

No need for introduction everyone knows his name

https://youtu.be/cK2MBVjZa50

Thanks once again to John Sparky

brog
20-03-2020, 01:51 PM

Get well soon buddy!

brog
20-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Nae bother!

Here is another dedicated to you and Brog

No need for introduction everyone knows his name

https://youtu.be/cK2MBVjZa50

Thanks once again to John Sparky

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

weecounty hibby
20-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Get well soon buddy!

Cheers

weecounty hibby
20-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Are there any vids of the great man Ally McLeod. Total hero of mine when I really got into Hibs and can actually remember games. He definitely wasn't as fast as Ivan, Arthur or Boyler but had all the ability in the world

Kato
20-03-2020, 02:16 PM
He definitely wasn't as fast as Ivan, Arthur or Boyler

Understatement of the millennium.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Are there any vids of the great man Ally McLeod. Total hero of mine when I really got into Hibs and can actually remember games. He definitely wasn't as fast as Ivan, Arthur or Boyler but had all the ability in the world
Ally Macleod was deceptive he was slower than he looked but agree some player very intelligent and skilful

https://youtu.be/8azbuFR_0Zg

Kato
20-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Ally Macleod was deceptive he was slower than he looked but agree some player very intelligent and skilful

https://youtu.be/8azbuFR_0ZgJust a smidgen of the fighting and pitch invasion from that day. Outside was a nightmare.

Sore losers (even if it was draw).

IWasThere2016
20-03-2020, 02:54 PM
Seconded, with George McNeill discounted as not a first team regular. However I remember Duncan being more of a boot-it-past-the-defender-then-outsprint-him sort of player. The way Boyle has improved I think he can beat a man better with a combo of speed'n'jink. Duncan was "nae-jinksy".
Didn't see enough of Sproule to judge in comparison.

George McNeill is the funniest - hilarious stories. Not sure he has enough game time to count.

In other news -

1) Duncan
2) Sproule
3) Boyle

GTMRossaK3
20-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Arthur Duncan for me charging down the wing. Shouts of open the gates as it looked like he was'nt going to stop. Unfortunate to score the winning goal for the Huns with a diving header in 79 final , we should had a penalty in the 1st game but that's another story. Went onto Meadowbank ,think he is now in Australia

I'm pretty certain Arthur was a chiropodist and worked alongside a good friend of mine on Henderson Row. I remember her telling me, knowing I was a Hibs supporter, that Arthur was leaving his job there and emigrating to Australia.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 07:18 PM
George McNeill is the funniest - hilarious stories. Not sure he has enough game time to count.

In other news -

1) Duncan
2) Sproule
3) Boyle

👍🏾

May21/05/16
20-03-2020, 07:57 PM
The fffasets players I seen play for hibs was
1 duncan
2 sproule
3 Boyle

The best
1 stanton
2 baker
3 sauzee

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

May21/05/16
20-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Fastest

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Biggie
20-03-2020, 08:00 PM
Having seen all 3, only one winner, Arthur Duncan

Biggie
20-03-2020, 08:02 PM
I'm pretty certain Arthur was a chiropodist and worked alongside a good friend of mine on Henderson Row. I remember her telling me, knowing I was a Hibs supporter, that Arthur was leaving his job there and emigrating to Australia.

100% we should have had a penalty, colin Campbell going round McCoy only to be hauled down.....refs haven't improved over the years

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 08:11 PM
Duncan was most prolific scoring 22 in 1972/73 from the left wing and 114 in total

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 08:15 PM
100% we should have had a penalty, colin Campbell going round McCoy only to be hauled down.....refs haven't improved over the years

Last five minutes in a Scottish Cup Final at 0-0 versus The Hun?

Are you having a laugh ? 😂

Kato
20-03-2020, 08:16 PM
100% we should have had a penalty, colin Campbell going round McCoy only to be hauled down.....refs haven't improved over the yearsThe ref very much did the job asked of him that day.

Since452
20-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Sproule fastest in my lifetime watch watching Hibs. Headless chicken but fast. That chance against Dnipro still gets to me.

MGmick
20-03-2020, 09:01 PM
Boyle has a long way to go before he can be compared to Arthur Duncan.

Purely based on his legend, because I never saw him play, but I'd think only Gordon Smith looks down on Arthur Duncan.
Ivan I loved at a time when I was really struggling to find a Hibs player to love. And honourable mention to Eric Stevenson from my singe figure childhood years.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Used to love watching Eric Stevenson play he used to hug the touchline tanner ba player beat his man then beat him again hit the byeline get tripped up and land in the box penalty to HIBS aw sideburns and class Defenders couldnae live with him Jock Wallace nailed it when he said his heid wis full of nonsense and he shudda been playing for Scotland

ozhibs
20-03-2020, 09:39 PM
A few days before the Aberdeen game we scored 8 against a none-too-shabby Ayr Utd and few days before that we had beaten one of the best Celtc teams ever 2-1 in a national cup final. Heady days or what? I thought it was always like that tbh and took it for granted.

Unfortunately your not the only one
GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
20-03-2020, 10:01 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned .... but until Boyler has scored the winner in a Scottish cup final like Arthur Duncan has he will never be comparable :duck:

Tom Hart RIP
21-03-2020, 08:20 AM
Arthur for me. Thanks to whoever put the videos on. Fantastic, brought back many happy memories watching the Tornadoes.
Look at the state of the pitches yet they still played beautiful football.
I started going to games in 1967 and went to every derby, home and away and think I only saw us lose twice to Hearts in the next 15 years.
Rangers won the European Cup Winners Cup but we were much better than them and regularly beat them.
Celtic were our main rivals but unfortunately they had their best ever team at the same time.

Tom Hart RIP
21-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Arthur for me. Thanks to whoever put the videos on. Fantastic, brought back many happy memories watching the Tornadoes.
Look at the state of the pitches yet they still played beautiful football.
I started going to games in 1967 and went to every derby, home and away and think I only saw us lose twice to Hearts in the next 15 years.
Rangers won the European Cup Winners Cup but we were much better than them and regularly beat them.
Celtic were our main rivals but unfortunately they had their best ever team at the same time.

Loved Eric Stevenson as well. Eric would have 100 caps if he played today

BILLYHIBS
22-03-2020, 05:19 PM
Nothing to do with flying wingers but I found this film of the 1972 Scottish Cup Final which makes an interesting and fascinating social study and a piece of nostalgia during the enforced shutdown

Both sets of fans just crammed in together you peed where you stood and drunk your carryout and tried to avoid getting lifted a totally different bygone world changed for the better

It ranks as one of the biggest disappointments to a young Billyhibs who was convinced we had the better team

Lesson learned :greengrin

Eddie Turnbull promised we would be back

Anyone spot Jimmy Reid?

https://youtu.be/PcqvOBs0V8o