PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup Heroes

Irish_Steve
13-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Was good to see Liam Fontaine last night, any member of the Cup winning team will always receive a warm welcome from me before and after their game no matter if they score against us/boot our players about/or generally act the maggot for the game!

However, it got me thinking. Who do you class as a Cup winning hero. Is it the ones who played in the final or anyone who played a part in the cup run from start to end.

There are some doozie players in the second category - Dan Carmichael anyone.

Also an un-used sub who then came on for Dundee Utd in the semi!

Northernhibee
13-02-2020, 07:05 PM
Anyone who played their part. It’s a team game.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2020, 07:05 PM
Anthony Stokes

The 90+2
13-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Special shout out to King Dom.

Anyone who played an important roll in us getting to the Semi and every player who played in the Semi or Final is a hero.

The 90+2
Special shout out to King Dom.

Anyone who played an important roll in us getting to the Semi and every player who played in the Semi or Final is a hero.

In my opinion.

The 90+2
Anthony Stokes

He falls into the God category.

heidtheba
13-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Didn't KT play a blinder in the 2-2 Hearts game?

Irish_Steve
13-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Thommo was excellent in that game!

Sir David Gray
13-02-2020, 07:13 PM
Was good to see Liam Fontaine last night, any member of the Cup winning team will always receive a warm welcome from me before and after their game no matter if they score against us/boot our players about/or generally act the maggot for the game!

However, it got me thinking. Who do you class as a Cup winning hero. Is it the ones who played in the final or anyone who played a part in the cup run from start to end.

Henri Anier.

The 90+2
13-02-2020, 07:13 PM
Came on for Dylan before half time as some hammer thrower crippled him and played a blinder. Was Thommos first game back too.

Irish_Steve
13-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Yep, Anier is correct - I`ve a feeling a may have known that at the time but the older I get, the more quickly I seem to forget things

I mean, I totally forgot Farid El Alagui came on with 10 mins of the semi remaining to go off about five mins into extra time!

Onion
13-02-2020, 07:18 PM

Agreed. Anyone who played a part and understands what is was to be (and takes pride in being) a part of that great achievement should be welcomed back to Easter Road with open arms for years to come. Liam Fontaine = Hibernian Hero and Legend.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2020, 07:19 PM
He falls into the God category.

No Cup win without him imho

Been to every final since 1969 and was always let down apart from 1972, 1991, 2007 and 2016

He was the difference

Outstanding performance

He could easily have had a hatrick

The rest of the squad are all legends in my eyes

Smartie
13-02-2020, 07:22 PM
Thomson was also excellent against Hearts at Easter Road in the replay.

We really needed a grafter with a bit of composure in the midfield that night and he was the man we needed.

Onion
13-02-2020, 07:29 PM

Been to every final since 1969 and was always let down apart from 1972, 1991, 2007 and 2016

He was the difference

Outstanding performance

:thumbsup: Stokes contribution was earthshaking that day. Still remember the first goal thinking hey this is not how Scottish Cup Finals are meant to be. There's definitely something new going on here. Stokes gave us and the other players belief that losing was NOT inevitable. The rest as they say....

ano hibby
13-02-2020, 07:37 PM
Otso Virtanen.

Whose unsteady cameo in Inverness ensured Stubbs brought in the Polar Bear...and the rest is history!

Glory Lurker
13-02-2020, 07:38 PM
I'd love a copy of the squad/management/backroom photo you see being taken on the DVD. Every one a hero(ine). Plus Dom and anyone else who contributed but is not in the photo!

The 90+2
13-02-2020, 07:44 PM

He was the difference

Outstanding performance

Totally agree. Every last one of them.

His performance that day was gladiator like. He should have had more than a Hattrick 😂

Onceinawhile
13-02-2020, 07:46 PM
Totally agree. Every last one of them.

His performance that day was gladiator like. He should have had more than a Hattrick 😂

I think he had something like 10 shots on target compared to 8 for rangers (roughly anyway) could easily have had 5 or 6. Still can't believe the one that hit the inside of the post didnt go in.

lucky
13-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Many contributed to the cup run but the hero’s are the starting 11 and subs that played

erin go bragh
13-02-2020, 08:21 PM
Didn't KT play a blinder in the 2-2 Hearts game?
Replaced McGeough and did well .

CloudSquall
13-02-2020, 08:33 PM
Special cameo for Robbie Neilson, without his assistance in securing the money spinning replay we wouldn't be where we are today.

The 90+2
13-02-2020, 08:41 PM
I think he had something like 10 shots on target compared to 8 for rangers (roughly anyway) could easily have had 5 or 6. Still can't believe the one that hit the inside of the post didnt go in.

Me too mate. Although I can’t believe Kennys hit the bar which would have been a so typical type of goal to lose as were all over them.

Wheat Hound
13-02-2020, 08:50 PM
Have we played a competitive fixture since 21st May where none of the starters or subs from that day have started?

SteveHFC
13-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Chris Dagnall played his part in our run.

Hibeesmad
13-02-2020, 09:12 PM
I look forward to the day in about 25 years that we welcome them all back long living those amazing memories.

Topographic Hibby
13-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Didn't KT play a blinder in the 2-2 Hearts game?Always worth posting certain pictures for no good reason than 2016 and all that.

Tommo certainly enjoyed himself at Tynecastle that year

zitelli62
13-02-2020, 09:20 PM
I'd love a copy of the squad/management/backroom photo you see being taken on the DVD. Every one a hero(ine). Plus Dom and anyone else who contributed but is not in the photo!

Would also love that photo.

Craig_HFC
13-02-2020, 09:31 PM
Mark Oxley’s contact lens.

Hibee Mac
13-02-2020, 09:32 PM
That shot from Stokes that fires off the inside of the post gets me every time, what an unbelievable hit. The guy truly was on fire that day.

Irish_Steve
13-02-2020, 10:09 PM

That was one in the eye for him..........

Kato
14-02-2020, 12:29 AM
Always worth posting certain pictures for no good reason than 2016 and all that.

Man, that photo is as raw as football gets. Hibernian were magnificent that day.

mjhibby
14-02-2020, 04:47 AM
Anybody involved should be lauded. Thommo at tynecastle was unbelievable driving the team on. Logan in the semi,stokes unplayable at times but it just seemed destiny that we would do it. There's not much I believe in but I do believe we were fated to win it.

mjhibby
14-02-2020, 04:48 AM
Always worth posting certain pictures for no good reason than 2016 and all that.

Look at the sheer joy and will to win in that picture. It is what's makes me happiest being a hibby.

Paisley Hibby
14-02-2020, 05:05 AM
We're going to have another group of Scottish Cup heroes at the end of this season. Just a feeling I've got.

Since452
14-02-2020, 05:35 AM
Everyone from Malonga who left but scored at Raith Rovers to SDG who won it is a legend to me. I'd even shake Dagnall's hand

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2020, 06:33 AM

Aye !

The perfect answer for those on here that think Tommo is a Hun :greengrin

Wallpaper material for the iPhone

Brilliant!

SouthMoroccoStu
14-02-2020, 07:10 AM
Everyone from Malonga who left but scored at Raith Rovers to SDG who won it is a legend to me. I'd even shake Dagnall's hand

Well said

It’s wasn’t just down to the 94 minutes on 21st May

It’s that squad and the preparation and training they did all season

But we should do a list of most to least important 😉 lol

Irish_Steve
14-02-2020, 08:18 AM
There was couple I had to look up as I had no re-collection of them. One being Sean Brennan who was the substitute goalie for the game against Raith Rovers!

Lancs Harp
14-02-2020, 08:23 AM
There was couple I had to look up as I had no re-collection of them. One being Sean Brennan who was the substitute goalie for the game against Raith Rovers!

Did Sean go to Berwick Rangers?

Irish_Steve
14-02-2020, 08:32 AM
Yeah, he did, not quite sure if he`s still there - left Hibs in June 2016

Barman Stanton
14-02-2020, 08:36 AM
Anyone that played their part for me.

Although there are Hibs fans who don’t class Stokes as a Hibs legend. Crazy. No cup win without him. He was incredible that day.

Irish_Steve
14-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Although there are Hibs fans who don’t class Stokes as a Hibs legend. Crazy. No cup win without him. He was incredible that day.

Surely that can`t be true!

And probably the most loved is Conrad and he only played 8 games for us!

14-02-2020, 08:49 AM

Stokes is a legend only surpassed by SDG

Beefster
14-02-2020, 08:53 AM
I'll be forever grateful to the likes of Dagnall and Carmichael but those guys are not legends. You don't get legend status because you sat on the bench for a legendary cup run/win. Legends from 2016 are the likes of Fontaine, McGregor, Gray, Hanlon, McGinn, Stokes, McGeouch, Stevenson etc.

SouthMoroccoStu
14-02-2020, 08:56 AM

Stokes was amazing that day MOTM and Rangers defence was terrified

But whoever got the winner was always going to be the ultimate hero

Sir Chris Dagnal for the toe poke from 2 yards out - Names on shirts and Tattoos of him all over Leith

The 90+2
14-02-2020, 08:57 AM

Stokesy is level with Sir David for me.

tamig
14-02-2020, 09:26 AM
I'll be forever grateful to the likes of Dagnall and Carmichael but those guys are not legends. You don't get legend status because you sat on the bench for a legendary cup run/win. Legends from 2016 are the likes of Fontaine, McGregor, Gray, Hanlon, McGinn, Stokes, McGeouch, Stevenson etc.

Did Dagnall not make his debut for us in that first game at Raith? He did his bit.

overdrive
14-02-2020, 09:36 AM
Have we played a competitive fixture since 21st May where none of the starters or subs from that day have started?

I was wondering that at the game the other night. We only had Hanlon on Wednesday who played in the final. Boyle too if you count unused subs.

Barman Stanton
14-02-2020, 09:57 AM

Irish_Steve
14-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Yeah, that was my thinking hence the original post - don`t think Dagnall even scored for us - (althought he did get one for his team last Saturday!)

Beefster
14-02-2020, 11:49 AM
Did Dagnall not make his debut for us in that first game at Raith? He did his bit.

Yup, he started. I didn’t claim that he/they didn’t contribute. Still doesn’t make him a Hibs legend. Or are we saying that Chris Dagnall is worth of being mentioned in the same breath as the Famous Five?

Since452
14-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Yup, he started. I didn’t claim that he/they didn’t contribute. Still doesn’t make him a Hibs legend. Or are we saying that Chris Dagnall is worth of being mentioned in the same breath as the Famous Five?

Imagine Dagnall didn't play and was in the stand which reset the space time continuum altering the course of future events. We might have beaten Raith but in doing so Paul Hanlon got injured because he slipped on a bar of soap in the Starks Park showers that Dagnall would have slipped on had he been playing meaning that the equaliser and subsequent money spinning replay and progression against Hearts never took place. Scary thought.

Fanforlife
14-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Did Sean go to Berwick Rangers?
Still there m8!

Gloucester Hibs
14-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Beat me to it! The butterfly effect and aw that.

Anthony Soprano
14-02-2020, 02:06 PM

This.

If that contact lens hadn't come out and Oxley never got suspended, Logan never would of played in the semi and we probably would have lost in normal time.

Anthony Soprano
14-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Stokes is the final is the best individual performance I have seen of anyone in a Hibs top, he played like a man possessed.

His name will go down in history, our grandchildren's grandchildren will speak in awe of the man who did what the Famous Five and Turnbull's Tornadoes couldn't.

I know he's a celtic man, but I've got no doubt that he holds that day close to his heart.

Yet to meet a fan who doesn't class him as a legend tbf, but I don't think it's really up for debate anyway, he 100% is and always will be.

Onion
14-02-2020, 03:53 PM

Wow. SDG was a gift from Heaven.... but without Stokes we'd be at 118 years and Hearts would still have their songbook. Stokes was the best player on the park by a distance and gave other Hibs players belief to blow the hoodoo apart.

SaulGoodman
14-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Imagine Dagnall didn't play and was in the stand which reset the space time continuum altering the course of future events. We might have beaten Raith but in doing so Paul Hanlon got injured because he slipped on a bar of soap in the Starks Park showers that Dagnall would have slipped on had he been playing meaning that the equaliser and subsequent money spinning replay and progression against Hearts never took place. Scary thought.

Aw gee, Doc. That’s heavy.

heidtheba
14-02-2020, 03:59 PM

My memory might be playing tricks on me but I was happiest most for Fonts and SDG. SDG for the Falkirk second game (wasn't he dispossessed before the killer goal?) and Fonts because I kinda saw the LC final as all about him and he looked crushed at the end. That's the thing about the SC that year (and bear in mind that I'm not a game attendee), those players didn't 'just' win a cup like so many teams have done before. They had to get past opponents with bigger budgets, up a division, not just beat Hearts but come back from being dead and buried AND do it all with our 'hoodoo' and 'Hibsed it' AND did it with all that even more pronounced after the LC game and then the Falkirk games. That resilience? Damn. And for the fans too, to go through that lot...jeezo.

Sorry, I know you all know this better than me but sometimes it's just worth saying. I haven't been to a game since Hibs v Celtic back in 2000, but if I'm ever down, watching the YouTube highlights with that roar when the header goes in just lifts me.

h1bs4life
15-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Anybody connected to Hibs that season is cup winning hero management team , coaching staff , backroom staff although some stick out. Malonga for goal away at Kikcaldy. Hanlon for goal against Hearts , Kevin Thomson for same game header of the line last minute. Cummings in the replay. The whole team at Inverness away after losing League Cup Final especially Stokes with 2 goals , terrific support that night quite a few up there that might have gave it a miss but went up to support team after defeat. Conrad Logan for performance in semi final including penalty saves and all penalty takers. The whole cup final team especially Anthony Stokes for overall performance and obviously Sir David for captain's performance and that goal. Sir David lifting the cup , the look on Stevenson and Hanlon's face when they lifted the cup you could see the pain they had been through in the past disappearing along with the thousands who had been through loads of bad times. Any Hibs supporter who has been at a Hibs scottish cup game is a hero. Might seem sentimental rubbish just glad auld man and father in law in there 80's got to see it , I was seriously thinking I would never see it. You youngsters do not know how lucky you are not having to go through the pain we have had to go through :wink: