PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

yerauldda
12-02-2020, 08:50 PM
What a player. Asked to play another different position tonight and he was excellent. He’s as good defensively as he is going forward. An integral part of this team.

calumhibee1
12-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Excellent tonight. Rarely going to beat a man but he strolled it tonight.

Vault Boy
12-02-2020, 08:55 PM
It was a different challenge for him but he did well to meet it. Good to know we'd have an emergency cover at left back if pushed for it.

Steve88
12-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Don't get carried away with Joe Newell on the wing. As the man said himself and as his performances under PH illustrated he is NOT a winger.

Against better opposition he would get found out in that position.

Fantastic footballer in the middle of the park though! Really like the guy

Pretty Boy
12-02-2020, 09:14 PM
I said after his performance at Ibrox in the 6-1 defeat that he was hiding and a coward. It's probably a lesson in both not making snap judgments and being willing to admit you are wrong.

Guy has been asked to play a variety of roles this season and has stepped up to the plate in each of them. It's obvious what his best position is but he gives 100% wherever he is asked to play. Looking forward to really see him kicking on next season with a bit more of a settled team around him.

J-C
12-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Did a job tonight but wasted out wide, there's a clever player there.

Fratelli
12-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Superb corners resulting in 2 goals and other near misses.

Integral part of the team now.

hibee_girl
12-02-2020, 09:26 PM
His corners are fantastic. He played really well tonight too

Vault Boy
12-02-2020, 09:31 PM
Don't get carried away with Joe Newell on the wing. As the man said himself and as his performances under PH illustrated he is NOT a winger.

Against better opposition he would get found out in that position.

Fantastic footballer in the middle of the park though! Really like the guy

Agree with this, although I think playing at LWB rather than as a proper winger really helped him. He's become a surprisingly effective defensive force for us recently. Playing in the wingback role gave him more room to run into (therefore not obviously exploiting his weakness of playing out wide) and it allowed him to display his defensive attributes, whilst remaining composed on the ball.

He is very clearly a central midfielder though.

Fritz
12-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Was asked to do a job for the team and did it well. Never a winger in a million years, there were a couple of occasions tonight when he had it down the left and it broke down. Not a criticism of him, just highlights how badly Heckingbottom used him. Great delivery from corners too.

Northernhibee
12-02-2020, 09:53 PM
A very skilful player.

B.H.F.C
12-02-2020, 09:53 PM
No sure it’s his long term position but liked the fact that he always wanted to pass the ball forward.

hfc rd
12-02-2020, 10:23 PM
Yet again another brilliant performance tonight.

Personally find it crazy! From being branded various names earlier in the season like coward, imposter etc to now putting in yet again another very good performance as a LWB and pretty much has cemented himself as one of the first names on the team sheet.

It’s crazy how he’s turned his Hibs career around and most of all, I don’t think we’ve seen the absolute best of him.

calumhibee1
12-02-2020, 10:24 PM

Personally find it crazy! From being branded various names earlier in the season like coward, imposter etc to now putting in yet again another very good performance as a LWB and pretty much has cemented himself as one of the first names on the team sheet.

It’s crazy how he’s turned his Hibs career around and most of all, I don’t think we’ve seen the absolute best of him.

Strangest thing is that I don’t think you could blame people for thinking that of him. He looked like he didn’t want to make a tackle, run, show for the ball, absolutely nothing. Now he’s looking an excellent player.

Carheenlea
12-02-2020, 10:29 PM
It’s not the position to get the best from him, and lacks the pace to play wing back for me. A more than decent stop-gap though in what was a forced team reshape due to personnel available.

1875Sean
12-02-2020, 10:30 PM
He must be on a few assists now from those corners

hibsboy69
12-02-2020, 10:31 PM
Joe Newell.........sexy b&stard

Get him on the Pens by the way

Baller

Shrekko
12-02-2020, 10:38 PM
A lovely footballer .... Hibs should always have players like him.

12-02-2020, 11:41 PM

Baller

Anyone else old enough to think he bears a striking resemblance facially to Gordon Smith?

HoboHarry
12-02-2020, 11:44 PM
My hearing isn't the best and when the Hibs TV guy said Joe Newell I thought he said John O'Neil. Thought I was in a ferking time warp.......

sean04
13-02-2020, 05:37 AM
Lovely 1st touch, good footballing brain and does the dirty work well. Going to be an important player for us now

Borderhibbie76
13-02-2020, 07:41 AM

The transformation in Joe, Jackson and Doidge post Hecky is incredible. Just shows the difference a manager who actually has a clue can make

sean04
13-02-2020, 07:49 AM
How many assists he got now?
2 last night, sure he had a couple against Dundee Utd. Making a big impact

Hibernian Verse
13-02-2020, 08:45 AM
How many assists he got now?
2 last night, sure he had a couple against Dundee Utd. Making a big impact

6 I think

Blurhibee
13-02-2020, 08:57 AM

Baller
Aye our joe is a handsome man, got a bit man crush lol

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Amazing how the likes of Doidge, Jackson and Newell have kicked on since PH left. No coincidence.

Northernhibee
13-02-2020, 09:28 AM
Heckingbottom has a notably better eye for a player than his predecessor. Just a shame he didn't know how to coach or play them that well.

HoboHarry
13-02-2020, 10:18 AM
The transformation in Joe, Jackson and Doidge post Hecky is incredible. Just shows the difference a manager who actually has a clue can make
The past manager had enough of a clue to buy them. Give him a little bit of credit....

FilipinoHibs
13-02-2020, 10:27 AM
He looks assertive and confident. Good man management from Jack and Potts.

Phil MaGlass
13-02-2020, 11:50 AM
His corners are fantastic. He played really well tonight too

Now we just need players that can take throw ins woohoo:greengrin

MrRobot
13-02-2020, 11:59 AM
Fast becoming my favourite Hibs player. His delivery from set plays is excellent :flag:

Diclonius
13-02-2020, 12:01 PM
When was the last time a Hibs player had such a massive shift in negative to positive fan opinion since Newell and Doidge?

Hibernian Verse
13-02-2020, 12:02 PM
When was the last time a Hibs player had such a massive shift in negative to positive fan opinion since Newell and Doidge?

Scott Allan when he came back?

Peevemor
13-02-2020, 12:08 PM

This illustrates why you should always form your own opinion based on what you see instead of adopting those of others.

Tom James has also been written off by many, but I still think he can do a job for us.

Sudds_1
13-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Its a long long time ago but i remember erich schaedler being pilloried as a no hoper in his first few games....the rest is, as they say, history.😁

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Heckingbottom has a notably better eye for a player than his predecessor. Just a shame he didn't know how to coach or play them that well.

That's right, second bottom had us in Europe with his buys, and gave us our best points total since I was a boy.

Hibby Kay-Yay
13-02-2020, 12:38 PM
The past manager had enough of a clue to buy them. Give him a little bit of credit....

Or was it the recruitment team :cb

Humo
13-02-2020, 12:39 PM
This illustrates why you should always form your own opinion based on what you see instead of adopting those of others.

Tom James has also been written off by many, but I still think he can do a job for us.Personally think James and Vela are lost causes.

Doidge, Newell and Jackson have had an incredible transformation though and long may their form continue!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Peevemor
13-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Personally think James and Vela are lost causes.

Doidge, Newell and Jackson have had an incredible transformation though and long may their form continue!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Vela definitely is. :wink:

Northernhibee
13-02-2020, 01:01 PM
FWIW I think Vela could well have come good. Clear pedigree there and great feedback before he signed.

calumhibee1
13-02-2020, 01:01 PM
Or was it the recruitment team :cb

The recruitment team were the good players. PH was the ***** players like Doidge, Newell, Jacks... wait a minute...

Peevemor
13-02-2020, 01:11 PM
FWIW I think Vela could well have come good. Clear pedigree there and great feedback before he signed.

I was hoping so too - he could have been the pick of the bunch according to some reports - unfortunately it didn't happen for him at Hibs and obviously JR didn't fancy him at all as he never got a sniff.

Hillsidehibby
13-02-2020, 01:28 PM

Is she really going out with him?

HoboHarry
13-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Yes and since it's Valentines Day tomorrow they'll be Steppin' Out......

Peevemor
13-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Thankfully we've now used up all the Joe Jackson hits.

Inconsequential
13-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately not as it will be in the Sunday Papers.

Peevemor
13-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Unfortunately not as it will be in the Sunday Papers.

You wikied him, didn't you?

Spike Mandela
13-02-2020, 04:08 PM

...or maybe shows that fans need a bit of patience when allowing players to come good at a new club.

HoboHarry
13-02-2020, 04:09 PM
...or maybe shows that fans need a bit of patience when allowing players to come good at a new club.
That'll never catch on mate.....:wink:

Inconsequential
13-02-2020, 05:29 PM
You wikied him, didn't you? How dare you! I was a fan and have a few of his LPs. For younger readers a LP is a black vinyl disc 12" in diameter which sound far superior to digital.

SideBurns
13-02-2020, 05:44 PM
How close is he to having a "Joe, Joe, Super Joe..." song, as befits a classy left footer of the Joseph variety?

Eyrie
13-02-2020, 08:32 PM
I should be keeping my head down on a thread like this given how critical I was of Newall earlier in the season but it's only fair to give him credit for turning things round and becoming an important player for us.

Thankfully we've now used up all the Joe Jackson hits.

You mean that you've not Got The Time* for more.

*Disclaimer - I've only heard of it because of the Anthrax cover.

Is It On....
13-02-2020, 08:57 PM

They have certainly been Stepping Out of the Heckingbottom shadows..

jacomo
13-02-2020, 09:00 PM

Indeed we should, but so much was wrong early in the season that it’s easy to explain why fans were jumpy.

weecounty hibby
13-02-2020, 09:24 PM

How much time did you give Brian Hamilton?? Never off his back. Hypocrite! Luckily I always saw the player that was in there😀😀

Nicho87
13-02-2020, 09:37 PM
Shirked 50/50s early. Last night he went in for two straight on the bounce. What a difference. Complete baller and looks very comfortable in a midfield two central. Don’t think he’s a left winger. Centrally though he has been a revelation.

All three, doidge, Newell and now Jackson have really turned it around.

Up until Porteous got injured Jackson was pretty much a done deal to Bolton if you believe the press. Now looks a very strong centre half option.

jgl07
13-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Rather like Alex Miller?