PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Rip alan lugton.

Liam978
11-02-2020, 01:51 PM
Sadly Alan a true Hibby, Historian via his trilogy on all things Hibernian has passed away. God bless mate x

Iggy Pope
11-02-2020, 01:53 PM
A gifted writer whose work and endeavour opened our rich history up to so many.
God bless Alan and Rest in Peace a proper Hibernian.

CMurdoch
11-02-2020, 01:53 PM
That is very sad for his loved ones and those who loved his books.
RIP Alan. You made a difference.

MartinfaePorty
11-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Very sad news. These 3 books sit pride of place on my shelf and whilst all 3 are a fantastic read, the first one is amongst 1 of my favourite books of all time. RIP

JeMeSouviens
11-02-2020, 02:02 PM
His books are a real labour of love. RIP.

KingPat4
11-02-2020, 02:16 PM
His books are in a prominent place on my bookshelf right now.

Sad news.

RIP Alan.

Bostonhibby
11-02-2020, 02:16 PM
A real loss to the great Hibernian family, his books have been around me for a long time and are a joy to read.

RIP.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
11-02-2020, 02:29 PM
A real loss to the great Hibernian family, his books have been around me for a long time and are a joy to read.

RIP.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

RIP my friend

1 8 7 5
11-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Gutted reading this.

Thoughts to his family.

I'd urge any Hibernian out there, if they haven't already, to read the 1st book in his trilogy.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-02-2020, 02:43 PM
RIP Alan, your books were superb and so informative.

Oscar T Grouch
11-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Gutted reading this.

Thoughts to his family.

I'd urge any Hibernian out there, if they haven't already, to read the 1st book in his trilogy.

This is the only one of the three I managed to find, a really great book and opened my eyes to a lot of Hibs history and influence Hibs had around Scotland from their birth, that I was ignorant of.

Condolences to his friends and family.

The Tubs
11-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Through his books he made a great contribution to our club.

RIP.

hibeerealist
11-02-2020, 03:19 PM
RIP Alan, god bless.

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2020, 03:28 PM
The Making of Hibernian books 1 2 and 3 a lifetime of hard work and research each one a masterpiece a truly remarkable legacy to leave behind for future generations of Hibernian fans to enjoy

From our humble beginnings and the difficulties we had to face starting up and overcome to the many great players that have worn the green jersey and graced the Holy Ground

Not forgetting all of the great Managers and Administrators that made those players’ fantastic achievements possible

All stitched together into the fabric of the history of our great club told in a way easy to understand and appreciate

I cannot recommend these books highly enough

We will forever be in his debt

My thoughts and sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends

RIP

The 90+2
11-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Rip, proper gentleman and true Hibee.

hibsness
11-02-2020, 03:57 PM
A sad day. The three books are essential reading. RIP GGTTH.

Kato
11-02-2020, 04:09 PM
Used to see him in various libraries, always a clutch of interesting Hibernian photocopies on him. I remember one batch was all caricatures of the Famous Five which looked amazing, never seen them reproduced anywhere. Hibs Historical Trust should try and ensure his collection is curated properly.

Lovely guy and the service he gave us re-knowing our history is unmatched.

RIP Alan.

James Stephen
11-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Very sad to hear this news.

I dont think its overstating it to say his books, and the research behind them is one of the greatest contributions to Hibernian FC, and the irish diaspora in Edinburgh ever.

I personally think he is responsible for almost single handedly reviving awareness in, and respect and pride for our unique heritage, without which it would still too often be seen as some hazy part of history to be willfully ignored.

A true inspiration, a Hibernian great and personally i would think a minute's silence at our game tonorrow should be observed by way of respect for him.

Waxy
11-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Very sad. The making of Hibernian is just awesome. If you could only read one Hibs book it would be this

Carheenlea
11-02-2020, 04:24 PM
The Making of Hibernian books 1 2 and 3 a lifetime of hard work and research each one a masterpiece a truly remarkable legacy to leave behind for future generations of Hibernian fans to enjoy and learn about from our humble beginnings and the difficulties we had to face starting up and overcome to the many great players that have worn the green and graced the Holy Ground and not forgetting all of the great Managers and administrators that made those players’ achievements possible all stitched into the fabric of the history of our great club told in a way easy to understand and appreciate

I cannot recommend these books highly enough

We will forever be in his debt

My thoughts and sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends

RIP

At the time of the first volume’s publication, I remember a sense that the subject matter was one that many fans, and even the club itself, would prefer to distance themselves from.
I’d say his trilogy, and the first volume in particular, paved the way for a greater understanding and appreciation of our humble beginnings and we now have a club where that history is embraced, and Hibs supporters in a modern Scotland who come from all backgrounds can look back upon that with pride.

Hi Heid Yin
11-02-2020, 04:26 PM
I feel for his wife whom I used to line manage in the civil service a few years ago.

Alan was indeed a true and good Hibby.

Iggy Pope
11-02-2020, 04:26 PM

I dont think its overstating it to say his books, and the research behind them is one of the greatest contributions to Hibernian FC, and the irish diaspora in Edinburgh ever.

I personally think he is responsible for almost single handedly reviving awareness in, and respect and pride for our unique heritage, without which it would still too often be seen as some hazy part of history to be willfully ignored.

A true inspiration, a Hibernian great and personally i would think a minute's silence at our game tonorrow should be observed by way of respect for him.

Absolutely sir.

Fergos
11-02-2020, 04:29 PM
A talented writer for sure, his 3 volumes on Hibernian are the definitive texts on our great and proud history.

Strength, thoughts and love to his Family and friends.

Glory Glory.

The Harp
11-02-2020, 04:29 PM
A huge loss to the Hibernian family. Alan's trilogy of the Making of Hibernian is the quintessential history of the Club and it's struggle to survive, and was a real labour of love.
He is deserving of a place at the top table of Hibernian supporters.
Rest in peace Alan.
Glory glory.

Fanforlife
11-02-2020, 04:30 PM
R.I.P.Such a great Hibernian,such a loss to all Hibernian minded people.!

Iggy Pope
11-02-2020, 04:30 PM
It would be nice if the club could recognise this tomorrow somehow.

Sudds_1
11-02-2020, 04:35 PM
I was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago....lovely guy who i could have listened to all day. Still remember the puffy eyes when we got round to reminiscing about a certain day in may 2016.

Sleep well my friend. The world is an emptier place without you.

scoopyboy
11-02-2020, 04:56 PM
RIP Alan.

By a strange quirk a mate messaged me yesterday about one of his books.

I've got all three but the first one is paperback and I'm trying to get the hardback.

A couple on ebay just now but the condition is putting me off them.

Just_Jimmy
11-02-2020, 05:23 PM
I've got book one. Never found two or three.

The club should get them republished through the club with any profits going to a charity of his families choice in his honour.

A Hibs legend. RIP

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

CraigHibee
11-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Rip Alan, will make a point of searching for your books on payday, im sure they will be a very good read

Conrad Gray
11-02-2020, 05:34 PM
Used to see him in various libraries, always a clutch of interesting Hibernian photocopies on him. I remember one batch was all caricatures of the Famous Five which looked amazing, never seen them reproduced anywhere. Hibs Historical Trust should try and ensure his collection is curated properly.

RIP Alan.

I spoke with Alan a few years back and he said that his books were heavily condensed by the publisher. He said that had the initial work been published, there was enough for several mir books

Conrad Gray
11-02-2020, 05:38 PM

RIP Alan.

I spoke with Alan a few years back and he said that his books were heavily condensed by the publisher. He said that had the initial work been published, there was enough material for several more books. I would hope that his research/full works are preserved.

The three published books are an amazing insight into our clubs history. RIP Alan

DarlingtonHibee
11-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Rip alan, thoughts with family and friends

Met him a couple of times during the hoh campaign

FilipinoHibs
11-02-2020, 05:41 PM
Very sad. RIP Alan. Had all three books. As a young man got a lift while hitching. Told me he was working on the history when I told him I was a Hibs fan.

leith lynx
11-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Sad to hear of Alan's passing. I am actually re-reading (after a few years), the trilogy at the moment, currently on book three. Would recommend to anybody reading these books to go and have a walk about the old town/St. Patrick's Church area, this enhances the experience of reading Alan's commendable research of the beginnings of Hibernian F.C. Just like the great characters of the Hibernian past, Alan Lugton is a true hero for the 'green jersey'. Rest in Peace Alan.

Roxyhibee
11-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Huge loss to his family and Hibernian. His books are part of our history and Edinburgh / Irish history - what an incredible legacy.

Awful news.

Baader
11-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Alan was at school with my Dad and a family friend. A very funny man and my Dad says the best storyteller he ever heard. Rest well Alan - your work and dedication in telling the history of Hibernian lives forever. 🇳🇬

Eaststand
11-02-2020, 06:45 PM
A great Hibby who made his mark and leaves behind a wonderful history.

RIP

GGTTH

hibby6270
11-02-2020, 07:28 PM
RIP Alan.

Regards and condolences to your family at this sad time.

Your three books are a proud legacy from you as the dedicated Hibby you are, for the club and for the fans.

GGTTH

surreyhibbie
11-02-2020, 09:14 PM
Alan's books taught me a huge amount about the history of our great club, and cemented the love I have for it.

RIP Alan, and thank you.

cabbageandribs1875
11-02-2020, 09:47 PM
RIP Alan, condolences to all family and friends

Swedish hibee
12-02-2020, 01:53 AM
So very sad. Rest in peace.

TomTheHibbyBev
12-02-2020, 02:56 AM
So sad to hear of Alan passing
Great reading the history of our Club
For that Alan I thank you
Rest in Peace

sadtom
12-02-2020, 04:30 AM
To the angels high above.
Thoughts with his family and friends.
R.I.P. Alan

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2020, 05:35 AM

RIP Alan.

Probably by Gilzean his cartoon strip used to appear regularly on a Monday after the game as a wee summary of the match in the EEN

IIRC he used to have a wee shop at the top of Cockburn Street handy for the old Scotsman building

As a youngster I used to anxiously look forward to his caricatures of The Tornadoes usually Alan Gordon leaping like a salmon to head yet another goal

One Day
12-02-2020, 07:08 AM
Sad news indeed. His 3 books are a must read for all Hibs supporters. Reading them makes you even more proud to be a Hibby. R.I.P. Alan

Carheenlea
12-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Alan Lugton in conversation with St Patrick’s Branch , Hibs Club, 2014

https://youtu.be/LsBXLQALWoE

whiskyhibby
12-02-2020, 12:49 PM
So sorry to hear that, I have all of his superb books,RIP Alan

Brizo
12-02-2020, 01:47 PM

At the time of the first volume’s publication, I remember a sense that the subject matter was one that many fans, and even the club itself, would prefer to distance themselves from.
I’d say his trilogy, and the first volume in particular, paved the way for a greater understanding and appreciation of our humble beginnings and we now have a club where that history is embraced, and Hibs supporters in a modern Scotland who come from all backgrounds can look back upon that with pride.

Alan definitely prompted an awakening and renewed sense of pride in our clubs humble origins.

His trilogy as well as being the story of the founding of our football club was also a fascinating social history of the community which founded Hibernian.

RIP Alan

basehibby
12-02-2020, 05:02 PM
RIP Alan Lugton.

The importance of his three books cannot be underestimated - quite apart from being a great read, they bring together the threads of HFC history in a way that had never been attempted before. They are meticulously researched and well written and constitute a great gift to all Hibees. We all owe him for the love and unstinting effort he poured into writing them.

Thanks Alan! If you can be a Hibernian legend for your skills with a pen as opposed to a football then there's no doubt in my mind that you qualify :flag::flag::flag:

brog
12-02-2020, 10:43 PM
Really sad news. I was at primary school with Alan. Its too long to tell here but I was responsible for him not getting capped for Leith schools. His 3 books are works of art & occupy a prominent spot in my house! King Pat is of course Luggy's cousin.

l'ecossais
13-02-2020, 01:29 PM
I've got book one. Never found two or three.

The club should get them republished through the club with any profits going to a charity of his families choice in his honour.

A Hibs legend. RIP

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Try abebooks.co.uk or amazon

i spent many months/years trawling edinburgh booksellers trying to find vol 3 before finding on each of these websites

Jamesie
14-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Try abebooks.co.uk or amazon

i spent many months/years trawling edinburgh booksellers trying to find vol 3 before finding on each of these websites

Try giving Hugh Andrew at Birlinn (https://birlinn.co.uk/)a call - 0131 668 4371

Power
19-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Posted elsewhere.

Minutes Applause 72 Mins.

We have had contact from a close friend of Alans Family who writes....

Alan Lugton, Historian of all things Hibernian FC, including The Making of Hibernian book series - minute applause 72 minutes ** Please share **

As close friends of the Lugton family we were all very sad to hear Alan recently passed away aged 72

To celebrate his life and the contribution he made to our history please join us in a minutes applause on the 72nd minute at the Livingston match this Saturday.
It would also have been Alans birthday on Saturday.

Up in heaven he’ll be singing to the angels high above singing glory to the Hibees they’re the team that we all love

Power
19-02-2020, 11:24 AM
LUGTON Alan (Gilberstoun)

Peacefully, at the Western General Hospital, on February 7, 2020, beloved husband of Molly, much loved dad to Sean and Kelly and daughter-in-law Cheryl, loving grandpa Beardy to Annabelle and Olivia and dearly loved brother to Roy. Alan will be greatly missed by family and friends.

Funeral Mass will be held at St John the Evangelist RC Church, Portobello, on Tuesday, February 25, at 9.45 am, followed by cremation at Warriston Crematorium, Lorimer Chapel, at 11 am, to which all are invited. Family flowers only, please. RIP.

Carheenlea
19-02-2020, 11:32 AM
Watching the video above it was pretty sad when someone from the floor enquired as to whether the books were available in e-form, and Alan Lugton genuinely had no idea what the question was about. He admitted himself he was old school when it came to technology, and did not use the internet and such when researching his volumes.

It’s a shame the books aren’t available on this format and with volumes two and three often hard to find, you need deep pockets to secure them.

1 8 7 5
19-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Sad to hear of Alan's passing. I am actually re-reading (after a few years), the trilogy at the moment, currently on book three. Would recommend to anybody reading these books to go and have a walk about the old town/St. Patrick's Church area, this enhances the experience of reading Alan's commendable research of the beginnings of Hibernian F.C. Just like the great characters of the Hibernian past, Alan Lugton is a true hero for the 'green jersey'. Rest in Peace Alan.

To add to this post, by visiting said church above, you will see a wonderful plaque commemorating the birthplace of our club, put there by St Patricks Branch.

CMurdoch
20-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the 2nd page of updates guys.
Will be on it on Saturday in memory of a great guy.

monktonharp
21-02-2020, 01:15 AM
so sad to hear the passing of Alan Lugton, who is in himself a Legend of Hibernian fc. His trilogy, has given so much informative information to the fans and indeed to the club. Alan will never be forgotten. full praise to the link supplied by St. Patrick's branch giving us a final great tribute to the man.

tamig
21-02-2020, 08:27 PM
Probably by Gilzean his cartoon strip used to appear regularly on a Monday after the game as a wee summary of the match in the EEN

IIRC he used to have a wee shop at the top of Cockburn Street handy for the old Scotsman building

As a youngster I used to anxiously look forward to his caricatures of The Tornadoes usually Alan Gordon leaping like a salmon to head yet another goal
His shop was in Fleshmarket Close. Got quite a few badges from there that featured his brilliant caricatures.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 08:31 PM
His shop was in Fleshmarket Close. Got quite a few badges from there that featured his brilliant caricatures.

:thumbsup:

Seen a couple on here as avatars

The Harp Awakes
21-02-2020, 09:02 PM
LUGTON Alan (Gilberstoun)

Peacefully, at the Western General Hospital, on February 7, 2020, beloved husband of Molly, much loved dad to Sean and Kelly and daughter-in-law Cheryl, loving grandpa Beardy to Annabelle and Olivia and dearly loved brother to Roy. Alan will be greatly missed by family and friends.

Funeral Mass will be held at St John the Evangelist RC Church, Portobello, on Tuesday, February 25, at 9.45 am, followed by cremation at Warriston Crematorium, Lorimer Chapel, at 11 am, to which all are invited. Family flowers only, please. RIP.

Thanks for forwarding Kieran. Would expect Father Jock will be leading the Mass. Hope to get along.

R.I.P Alan