PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a second team?

LustForLeith
10-02-2020, 03:42 PM
I was wondering this today as I came back from watching the Milan derby. I don’t have a second team as I find it takes up all my concentration supporting Hibs! But I’m quite up for supporting Inter Milan.

But what criteria do you have for selecting another team? There’s a sense of going for a decent team so you can have a bit of success but that makes you a glory hunter.

I used to support Liverpool when I was a kid, probably more than I supported Hibs, due to the fact they were really good and they had loads of Scottish players.

I couldn’t support another Scottish team as my second club as I wouldn’t want them to play Hibs.

Anyway, this is what I was thinking about on the way back from Milan with a stubborn hangover during the middle of turbulence.

SteveHFC
10-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Always like to see Liverpool do well.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 03:52 PM
Not really. Hibs is my addiction.

I've got soft spots for Crystal Palace and Spurs because I watched them both extensively in the late 80s/90s and was at Wembley to see them win the Zenith Data Systems Cup and the FA Cup respectively, both in 1991.

I've always had an interest in Newcastle - I even have a scarf - but any enthusiasm I used to have has pretty much faded. Maybe it'll return. (Glory hunter alert).

I liked Man United when Ferguson was in charge, so I don't mind when they win. I'm actually going to see them in a couple of weeks.

I've now taken an interest in Villa because of SJM, but I can't say I'm a supporter. I am, however, going to watch them on Sunday versus Spurs. It's a hospitality gift I bought for my mate's birthday. Should be a fun weekend.

Vault Boy
10-02-2020, 03:58 PM
I support Scotland, but Hibs are my only club.

I like to see Norwich and West Ham do well, although that doesn't happen all that often. I don't mind Dagenham and Redbridge either. I'm enjoying Klopp's Liverpool a lot, but unless you're a supporter of a rival team, who isn't? Although I haven't been that interested in English football for years to be honest.

Outwith that, St Pauli are pretty bloody cool.

hibby rae
10-02-2020, 04:00 PM
When I was 5 I was given a Liverpool scarf and they became my 'English team'. I'm not upset if they lose or anything though, I enjoy seeing them win but it doesn't have the same effect as Hibs scoring does.

Got into them more again in the last couple years as my old flatmate is from Liverpool so we regularly watch the games at Malones as Auld Reekie Reds are there and it's a good atmosphere. Also went down to Liverpool last May for the final.

Like to see Mönchengladbach do well. Went to one of their games a few years back against Dortmund and their fans were very friendly, went drinking afterwarda with some of them and one of them gave me his scarf.

My grandad was a Caley man so I was pleased for them when they won the cup.

CloudSquall
10-02-2020, 04:01 PM
I have soft spots for certain teams and as I move around a lot I usually take up a soft spot for the local team, but I've never had a "2nd team".

My next entry to the Pet Peeves thread should be any Hibee that says "we" in reference to another team without a strong connection to them (family etc), weapons grade cringe.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 04:04 PM
When I was 5 I was given a Liverpool scarf and they became my 'English team'. I'm not upset if they lose or anything though, I enjoy seeing them win but it doesn't have the same effect as Hibs scoring does.

Got into them more again in the last couple years as my old flatmate is from Liverpool so we regularly watch the games at Malones as Auld Reekie Reds are there and it's a good atmosphere. Also went down to Liverpool last May for the final.

Like to see Mönchengladbach do well. Went to one of their games a few years back against Dortmund and their fans were very friendly, went drinking afterwarda with some of them and one of them gave me his scarf.

My grandad was a Caley man so I was pleased for them when they won the cup.

Mönchengladbach. That's a good team to support in Germany. It would be my favourite too because we used to visit Munich when I was younger.

There was a campsite on a canal which we would swim in. I got lost in the city centre once when I was very young and I remember being distraught and crying my eyes out.

My parents were just looking in a shop window a few metres away. :hilarious

wpj
10-02-2020, 04:07 PM
I tend to go local, I follow Plymouth Argyle, my dad's team. I live in Cambridge now and follow them (easier now Calderwood has gone) when I lived in Germany I supported Dusseldorf and still follow them. Hibs will always be number one for me though. Don't have a Premier league team, don't really care but enjoy a game occasionally.
Oh, Finn Harps, I spend time in Donegal and watch Harps when I'm there

SRHibs
10-02-2020, 04:10 PM
I try to follow Newcastle - purely because I stay here - and I really try to care about their results, but it just feels so unnatural.

BegbieHSC
10-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Bohemians for me. My Dubliner great uncle got me in to them.

I like the Bundesliga and keep an eye on Werder Bremen scores.

Never had an English team.

KingPat4
10-02-2020, 04:11 PM
Huddersfield Town.

Glory Hunter.....,

patch1875
10-02-2020, 04:12 PM
Charlton Athletic

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Manchester United. My uncle was from Salford and worked in the printing industry in Manchester and they were commissioned to make large posters, when the Best boy was emerging in 63 I was smitten by him and that poster stayed on my wall for many years, been a fan ever since.

Newry Hibs
10-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Luton Town

Viva_Palmeiras
10-02-2020, 04:17 PM
Palmeiras due to family but really my only passion is the Hibees.

sauzee=legend
10-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Any team that’s playing hearts rugby club 😉

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 04:19 PM
I support Scotland, but Hibs are my only club.

I like to see Norwich and West Ham do well, although that doesn't happen all that often. I don't mind Dagenham and Redbridge either. I'm enjoying Klopp's Liverpool a lot, but unless you're a supporter of a rival team, who isn't? Although I haven't been that interested in English football for years to be honest.

Outwith that, St Pauli are pretty bloody cool.

St Pauli are on BT Sport 1 tonight at 19.30.

HoboHarry
10-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Kansas City Chiefs :greengrin

DetroitHibs
10-02-2020, 04:25 PM
Juventus. Back in the day with James Richardson and weekends watching Serie A. Baggio and Vialli were two of my favorite players to watch, also thought Perruzi was one of the best goalkeepers around at the time. Not as big a fan now, but still keep an eye out.

murray26
10-02-2020, 04:26 PM
No really but I like to see Arsenal do well attended a few games with my son but not for a white.

Since452
10-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Sampdoria. A small fish punching against some giants in the early 90's. Loved Lombardo and his baldy napper. Football Italia on C4 on a Sunday was a must. Still look out for their results to this day

Golden Bear
10-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Definitely Liverpool in England but as far as Scotland is concerned then the only second team that I favour is my local side in the East of Scotland league.

EI255
10-02-2020, 04:33 PM
Always look out for Bohemians Dublin.

Used to enjoy watching AS Roma too.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
10-02-2020, 04:42 PM
Hibs are my team but I like Union Berlin in Germany.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Peevemor
10-02-2020, 04:45 PM
I'm a bit of a glory hunter when it comes to second teams. Over the years there have been a few that I've gone out of my way to watch - Ipswich with John Wark under Bobby Robson, Milan with the Dutch trio, Man Utd. with Cantona, Giggs, etc.

You get my drift...

Pretty Boy
10-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Newcastle.

Outside Hibs and them I don't really watch much football. I find I can't get into it if I'm not supporting a team.

cabbageandribs1875
10-02-2020, 04:48 PM
Leeds united,i aint no glory hunter :) 50+years of watching for their results,or on Tv/internet) every single game, i had already made them my favourite english team before we played them in 1972/73,UEFA cup, Billy Bremner along with pat stanton=Gods for this excited wee laddie, at that time they had a 33- man squad made up with 17 Scots :) hibs were already an established european entry every season, i also watch rugby league every week and of course my favourites are...... Leeds Rhinos

HendoDelivered
10-02-2020, 04:49 PM
I’d say I’m Liverpool as much as I am Hibs tbh. Been supporting them since I was a bairn and always try catch a game when I can get down there. Been waiting my whole life to see them win the league and it’s finally going to happen :greengrin. Will be heading down for the parade for sure.

Wilson
10-02-2020, 04:53 PM
I don't have a second team. I find myself checking Verona's scores since Hendo played there and even still after he has left. I now check Empoli's scores. I have also looked out for Guald's scores since his first big move. Scored for Farense yesterday.

stantonhibby
10-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Leeds united,i aint no glory hunter :) 50+years of watching for their results,or on Tv/internet) every single game, i had already made them my favourite english team before we played them in 1972/73,UEFA cup, Billy Bremner along with pat stanton=Gods for this excited wee laddie, at that time they had a 33- man squad made up with 17 Scots :) hibs were already an established european entry every season, i also watch rugby league every week and of course my favourites are...... Leeds Rhinos

Same....since the 70's....basically because of the Scots in the team..Bremner, Lorimer, Gray etc

Haymaker
10-02-2020, 05:19 PM
I follow West Ham having grown up around London. I live in New Jersey so I kind of follow NYRB but quite honestly I can't get too excited by them. Just not the same as Hibs.

Keith_M
10-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Fortuna Düsseldorf.

Not exactly sure why, other than they were a big club in Europe when I was a kid, they have a fantastic stadium... and the name sounds quite funny

Iain G
10-02-2020, 05:33 PM
7+ years of living there meant I did adopt the Wellington Phoenix.

hibbyfraelibby
10-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Hibernian Ladies...

10-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Second teams are for fuds

brianmc
10-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Moved into my first home in '96 and quickly had cable TV installed.

I was absolutely blown away by a young Brazilian lad called Ronaldo who seemed to score every week for Bobby Robson's Barcelona.

I've been following them via TV and in person ever since.
The highlight definitely being there at Wembley to see the very best of Pep's Barça absolutely destroy Fergies Man Utd in the Champions League Final.
In fact I'm a member of an official Barcelona supports club - yet I've never been a member of a Hibs one despite being a season ticket for 30 years.

SJNB Hibby
10-02-2020, 05:58 PM
I watch out for a few teams, either because I lived there for a while, or saw them when I was quite young, so Ebbsfleet, QPR, Gillingham and Chesterfield
Lived in Croydon for 8 years, so a big Eagles/Glaziers fan.
Had a semi-distant uncle played for Hibs & Villa, I follow the latter even more now with SJM there
Started supporting Barca 30+ years ago, but its getting a bit nauseous now that theyre in a 2 team league, so find myself not bothered when they lose, unless its to RM

hibbyfraelibby
10-02-2020, 06:07 PM
Kansas City Chiefs :greengrin

I see Marty Schottenheimer farming Sean LaChapelle out to the Claymores has had lasting consequences🏈😁

Malthibby
10-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Hibernian Ladies...

:flag:Yup.

at last 61
10-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Don't follow but look out for results Cambridge United went a few games down there with my dad whilst visiting my auntie and uncle

zitelli62
10-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Aston villa for me was gutted when hibs sold des bremner to then we got joe ward who was useless so took an interest in them since then all my mates were liverpool fans so it was great to be different now with Sjm there I've even more interest.

wpj
10-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Fortuna Düsseldorf.

Not exactly sure why, other than they were a big club in Europe when I was a kid, they have a fantastic stadium... and the name sounds quite funny

👍

LancsHibs
10-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Sea sea Seasiders!

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Scunny.

Clarence
10-02-2020, 06:35 PM
My (Hibs supporting) Grandad always says Hearts are his second team because in every match they play, he wants them to finish second.

Joe6-2
10-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Arsenal 😬
Soft spot for the disaster that is 1860 Munich, since seeing them a few years ago when they played at the Allianz

givescotlandfreedom
10-02-2020, 06:42 PM
1. FC Köln from staying in the Cologne area. That's it.

heretoday
10-02-2020, 06:43 PM
Dundee utd

givescotlandfreedom
10-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Mönchengladbach. That's a good team to support in Germany. It would be my favourite too because we used to visit Munich when I was younger.

There was a campsite on a canal which we would swim in. I got lost in the city centre once when I was very young and I remember being distraught and crying my eyes out.

My parents were just looking in a shop window a few metres away. :hilarious

Mönchengladbach is a long way from München ;)

Jones28
10-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Stenhousemuir, Man United and Grimsby town are the only teams I’ve been to see with no Hibs involvement, and I couldn’t really give a monkeys about either of the English teams. Stenny are my closest team.

Jack Hackett
10-02-2020, 06:54 PM

... Or possibly for people who haven't lived in Edinburgh for over 40 years and would like to take in the occasional live game where they actually do live?

Brighton for me. Enough that I'll take advantage of any of my mates seasons if they're not using them but not enough to get one of my own. I've seen them go from their days at the Goldstone and exile in Gillingham to a council amenity at Withdean, culminating in a superb stadium at the Amex and attendances approaching the 30k mark...

... but I am a Hibby 1st and foremost... and always will be

nickwhibs
10-02-2020, 07:05 PM
Sampdoria (family reasons). Though I shouldn’t say this but I also quite like their city rivals, Genoa as have been to more of their matches. More of a friendly rivalry though.

Carheenlea
10-02-2020, 07:05 PM
I`ve tried to give Galway United a go as I`m over there quite a bit at the in-laws, but the simple fact of playing in maroon has made it very hard to do so. Still go along to the odd game but often take more pleasure in seeing them lose than winning. That wouldn`t be the case if they didn`t play in maroon, which is pretty pathetic really.

celthedd1
10-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Leeds United, Bangor 1876, Hibs, Golf.... In that order 😝

Dazzjw1875
10-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Newcastle for me

weecounty hibby
10-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Alloa for obvious reasons but if they play Hibs it's a Hibs win every time for me. Everton due to Andy King 1977 when all the glory hunters at school were deciding to be Liverpool fans. Being the only Hibby at school it seemed only natural to be the only Everton fan as well. Hibs, Alloa, Everton I am just a big glory hunter!!

lugz
10-02-2020, 07:32 PM
Chelsea are my english team and most my attention goes on the Philadelphia Eagles now a days

StevieC
10-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Newcastle..

.. and I’ve got a season ticket as well, so I think that makes me a supporter 😉

I’ve also got soft spots for lots of other teams as well though (usually based on friendships with “fanatical” supporters).

The pre-season was a tough one (especially trying to explain away the hun fuds that turned up for a day out) but I’m Hibs first and foremost.

MGmick
10-02-2020, 07:34 PM

Yes, and in so many ways too. Bayern Munich - The Rankgers of Germany.

VFL are my second team after spending several years living there in the 80's and the 00's. They always reminded me of Hibs, especially the team of 84 to 87. They were like the Tornado's. Played great football, scored loads of goals but always found a way of coming up just short. Colours green and white helped make the bond too.

Keith_M
10-02-2020, 07:35 PM

That's about a 7 hour drive by my reckoning

:greengrin

sauzeelegod
10-02-2020, 07:36 PM
Everton

Sir David Gray
10-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Anyone who Hearts and Liverpool are playing on any given day.

Dalianwanda
10-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Hibs are the only team for me. Although I watch plenty of English games I don’t have any leanings towards one team or another.

Going to start going to Sligo Rovers home games but only because they do a great job in staying afloat & i want to help support the local team. Certainly doesn’t have the emotional attachment & don’t think it ever will.

AL-Qaholik
10-02-2020, 07:45 PM
West Ham. Mate and I did a mutual team adoption thing years ago - not sure which of us got the worse end of that deal...

Eyrie
10-02-2020, 07:45 PM
I have three - whoever is playing Hearts, Celtc or Rangers.

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Anyone who Hearts and Liverpool are playing on any given day.

No bad answer tbh 👍

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Hibs

Greencore
10-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Nope, used to like Everton and watch out for their scores but just can't get invested in English football.

Jack Hackett
10-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Hibs

... and happy to give you a 2nd home... at least one of your teams will win something this year... hopefully both... not that it matters :greengrin

Keith_M
10-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Anybody that ManUre are playing.

10-02-2020, 08:11 PM
... Or possibly for people who haven't lived in Edinburgh for over 40 years and would like to take in the occasional live game where they actually do live?

Brighton for me. Enough that I'll take advantage of any of my mates seasons if they're not using them but not enough to get one of my own. I've seen them go from their days at the Goldstone and exile in Gillingham to a council amenity at Withdean, culminating in a superb stadium at the Amex and attendances approaching the 30k mark...

... but I am a Hibby 1st and foremost... and always will be

Thanks for this.

hibbie02
10-02-2020, 08:48 PM
I’ve moved around a bit and used to follow the local team. Watched Newcastle in Div 2 in the old Gallowgate end. Watched Brighton at the Goldstone ground and Southampton at The Dell. Been in Essex 20 odd years and watch West Ham a few times at the Boleyn Ground.

Haven’t been to so many games recently. Tried Arsenal a couple of times but it’s always Hibs for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jonnyboy
10-02-2020, 08:50 PM

So what's yours then?

Bristolhibby
10-02-2020, 08:54 PM
Spurs. All my in-laws are Spurs fans.

Don’t really give two hoots and would trade up a Tottenham win for a Hibs win any day of the week. But do like to see them do well. Lots of similarities between us and them.

7Hero
10-02-2020, 08:56 PM
What upsets me is people who have an English team, and a Spanish team, etc.etc.

You can only support 1 team.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2020, 08:59 PM
So what's yours then?

👍😁

FilipinoHibs
10-02-2020, 09:19 PM
Moved to London in 1991 and kids went to a primary school which was all Arsenal. They were told Hibernian was a rugby team. They became Arsenal fans but remained Hibs fans. We went to Arsenal home games with another family so have a soft spot for them. Lucky to have seen the start of the Wenger era.

Father from Santos and mother from Lisbon. So follow Santos and Benfica. Father used to watch the famous 5 who said were almost Brasilian in the way they played.

But I only really hurt when Hibs or Scotland loose. That I think is a measure of if you really support a team.

Chorley Hibee
10-02-2020, 09:54 PM
My hometown side Chorley.

Currently propping up the National League, but officially the highest placed part-time side in England.

OstKurve Hibs
10-02-2020, 10:04 PM
I like Bayern munich, ever since that final in 99 when they lost to man utd, they were very hard done by to lose that and I always looked out for results and watched them on tv after, not so much now tho
They had some great players then aswell, Khan,lizarazu, matthaus, scholl, basler, effenberg, Jeremis and tarnat to name a few

Absolute joy to watch

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 10:05 PM

So it is! :faf:

I've no idea how I confused them with Bayern. Must have been the pain of the childhood memories.

Whit a ridder! :embarrass :greengrin

I guess that means that if I ever need to support a German team, I'm glory hunting again!

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 10:08 PM
So what's yours then?

Boom!

DstN75
10-02-2020, 10:20 PM
Tried to get one when I was down south but after going to games at pretty much all the main London clubs none of them stuck. At the time there was a minor thing with hibs and west ham but I didn't gel with them. At the time the big teams just seemed corporate and the small ones a bit dull, although to be fair I'd moved down at a time when Hibs were really good so watching mid-table mediocrity, which is what most English teams inhabit most of the time, wasn't that interesting.

Nowadays my second teams are in other sports I suppose.

heretoday
10-02-2020, 10:30 PM
Everton

Good call.

The Harp Awakes
10-02-2020, 10:47 PM
Hibs are the only club I care about. Other than that I don't like Man United and detest the huns with a passion, and always want both to lose.

Wouldn't bat an eyelid about any other club's results unless they are playing Hibs.

Greenfly
11-02-2020, 12:45 AM
Queen's Park and Millwall ... I'm obviously just a glory hunter.

cameronw-hfc
11-02-2020, 12:53 AM
Been a pretty passionate villa fan as well as hibs being my first love.

Sma32
11-02-2020, 03:52 AM
Me and my mate went to an Inverness game last season and bumped into a player in the pub afterwards so have a soft spot for them, although not in the next round of the cup

Dmas
11-02-2020, 06:21 AM
Look out for Leeds scores want to see them do well, dad was a Bremner fan, hibs and Leeds subbuteo teams as a kid stuck ever since

Soft spots for few Italian teams thanks to James Richardson also a fan of german football but no specific team

The Leith Dutch
11-02-2020, 06:32 AM
Juventus. Back in the day with James Richardson and weekends watching Serie A. Baggio and Vialli were two of my favorite players to watch, also thought Perruzi was one of the best goalkeepers around at the time. Not as big a fan now, but still keep an eye out.

I have a Fiorentina fetish from a similar time - Batistuta and Costa and a lovely purple top.
Plus Florence is a cracking city.

Loved Football Italia on Channel Four.

JXM73
11-02-2020, 06:36 AM
Brighton,when they were a wee club only other club I've had a season ticket for...can't stand them now, their fans are utter twats.

Will go watch games wherever I'm working..

Delboy*
11-02-2020, 06:46 AM
Sampdoria. A small fish punching against some giants in the early 90's. Loved Lombardo and his baldy napper. Football Italia on C4 on a Sunday was a must. Still look out for their results to this day

I'm the same! Dont specifically follow them now but I still look out for their results. That team back in the 90's were fantastic and it's always kinda stuck with me.
It's funny as now that I think of it, I have a soft spot for a few teams..Napoli for the Maradona connection, Always loved the Fiorentina purple strip, Orlando City as we went to a game over there and it was tremendous and Iv liked Liverpool since I was a kid mostly due to Dalgliesh and the style of play.
I'm a Hibs fan though, no doubts, its the only one that gets my Heart racing on a game day! It can make or break a weekend!!

lugz
11-02-2020, 07:25 AM

Dont necessarily support these teams but I have certain teams I look out for in each league, some closer than others.
England - Chelsea
Italy - Fiorentina
Spain - Valencia
Germany - Dortmund
MLS - Philly Union

Hibbyradge
11-02-2020, 07:38 AM
I take it as read that these are all cover "second teams"?

Like Traynor's Airdrie and Chick Young's St Mirren.

Deep down ...

pogo
11-02-2020, 07:50 AM
I've been living in Ireland now for 20 years, have been to a few Cork City games in recent times with my son, but not really the same. As a consequence though my son has started going quite regularly, so at least he has got an interest in football.(his first games were Hibs games though!)

Begbie79
11-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Been going to watch Union Berlin for about 6 years now. Make it to 4/5 games a season. Booked for the derby v Hertha in March.

Proper football, proper fans, proper stadium.

hibee-boys
11-02-2020, 08:10 AM
No....more a Hibs fan that a football fan. Don't want much other football. I'd rather go and watch my local lowland league side than tune into any EPL games.

The Count
11-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Lags Eleven in the Scorcher when i was young but my favourite player was Billy Boots (cannot remember his team).

blaikie
11-02-2020, 08:25 AM
Al Wasl FC

Even a little Hibs connection with their No. 7 Ali Saleh :greengrin

Bostonhibby
11-02-2020, 08:30 AM
Like Forest as I used to get across to see them in the late 80's, enjoy seeing liverpool do well, used to go to Boston Utd to see some proper football that didn't have much diving about involved, still occasionally go to Lincoln City or Cambridge but there's never the same feeling as when Hibs take to the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-02-2020, 08:50 AM
Used to go to watch The Hammers quite often but, haven't been since they moved to the new stadium. Keep an eye out for Inter's results as I was a big fan of Matthaus in the old days of C4's coverage.

Anthony Soprano
11-02-2020, 09:29 AM
AC Oxgangs #BAROX

Liked Real Madrid when Ronaldo was there and wanted them to do well but lost interest a bit once he left and they began to decline.

Tried supporting various English teams over the years, Liverpool, United, Sunderland and even Norwich I think at one point but couldn't get into it, I just couldn't bring myself to care enough whether they won or lost. Aways found it really strange when Scottish people are so passionate about English football, especially if they don't support a Scottish team, think it's a bit weird tbh.

Hibs are my only true love, I support Scotland as well but have come to expect so little every time they play now I'm not even that bothered when they get beat.

kaimendhibs
11-02-2020, 09:41 AM
Been going to watch Union Berlin for about 6 years now. Make it to 4/5 games a season. Booked for the derby v Hertha in March.

Proper football, proper fans, proper stadium.[emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DunblaneHibby
11-02-2020, 09:51 AM
I go to see local team the binos if I'm not at Easter road

WhileTheChief..
11-02-2020, 10:02 AM
No....more a Hibs fan that a football fan. Don't want much other football. I'd rather go and watch my local lowland league side than tune into any EPL games.

Have you ever actually done that??

I always thought that was just something folk said on the internet to sound edgy!

It would be like watching BSC every week instead of seeing some amazing football by the likes of Liverpool this season.

Since452
11-02-2020, 10:03 AM
I'm the same! Dont specifically follow them now but I still look out for their results. That team back in the 90's were fantastic and it's always kinda stuck with me.
It's funny as now that I think of it, I have a soft spot for a few teams..Napoli for the Maradona connection, Always loved the Fiorentina purple strip, Orlando City as we went to a game over there and it was tremendous and Iv liked Liverpool since I was a kid mostly due to Dalgliesh and the style of play.
I'm a Hibs fan though, no doubts, its the only one that gets my Heart racing on a game day! It can make or break a weekend!!

The checking of the Sampdoria result is usually followed by FFS these days sadly. Always been on the bucket list to go to Genoa and take in one of their games. I'll do it some day! Funny how things that you see when you were a kid stick with you. If it wasn't for Football Italia I wouldn't have known much or anything about them.

Strangely I don't have an English side and never really watched much English football. Just doesn't float my boat.

Begbie79
11-02-2020, 10:05 AM

I always thought that was just something folk said on the internet to sound edgy!

It would be like watching BSC every week instead of seeing some amazing football by the likes of Liverpool this season.

Absolutely, i go and watch Kirkintilloch Rob Roy quite a bit.

Peevemor
11-02-2020, 10:05 AM

During the last 15 years, I've honestly spent more time watching minor league/amateur football in the park than non-Hibs club matches on TV.

The Leith Dutch
11-02-2020, 10:27 AM

Depends on how you define support really.
From a few years on here I doubt you'd get consensus among the denizens of dot net on what supporting Hibs means......

I think it's fairly clear cut that supporting 2 teams - a club and international side - is reasonable.
You could argue that's because they will never play one another so there's no test of loyalty.

I have no problem with folk having teams they follow in different leagues and no problem with people who want to stick to one club.
Seems weird to define it so strictly when it's really personal choice.....

supermcginn
11-02-2020, 10:41 AM

You must get really easily upset! I go to about 10 newcastle games a season and support them as passionately as i do hibs, sorry to upset you :wink:

Pagan Hibernia
11-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Absolutely, i go and watch Kirkintilloch Rob Roy quite a bit.

i actually follow their results just because I like the name!

at home in Ireland, I support Sligo Rovers. If I’m in Dublin, I’ll try and catch a bohemians game.

In England, soft spot for Everton

Begbie79
11-02-2020, 10:53 AM
i actually follow their results just because I like the name!

at home in Ireland, I support Sligo Rovers. If I’m in Dublin, I’ll try and catch a bohemians game.

In England, soft spot for Everton

Actually a really good laugh watching them, they are a bit up in the air just now as they play in Cumbernauld and groundshare with Cumbernauld Colts, The council sold their ground for flats and they are currently campaigning to get back to Kirkintilloch.

They are murder this year though! had a decent season last season and a couple of good cup runs. :aok:

dalkeith stu
11-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Liverpool have been my second team since the late 80's but nowhere near the passion i have for Hibs!! I also have a soft spot for Atletico Madrid and I'm lucky enough to have a ticket for the champions league game next month at Anfield in the away end.

Pagan Hibernia
11-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Actually a really good laugh watching them, they are a bit up in the air just now as they play in Cumbernauld and groundshare with Cumbernauld Colts, The council sold their ground for flats and they are currently campaigning to get back to Kirkintilloch.

They are murder this year though! had a decent season last season and a couple of good cup runs. :aok:

Doesnt their badge have a picture of Rob Roy on it?

Carheenlea
11-02-2020, 11:18 AM
You must get really easily upset! I go to about 10 newcastle games a season and support them as passionately as i do hibs, sorry to upset you :wink:

I’ve been down a couple of times to see Newcastle, and I was genuinely surprised at how many travel down from Edinburgh to watch them. The amount of shirts and scarves on the train would have you thinking it was an official supporters charter.
We left at noon, down in time for a couple of beers pre match, a Chinese meal post match and back in Waverley just after 8.
I’ve never been hooked in to the extent of claiming to support them as such, but for those that do and want to see them regularly it’s a very doable outing.

Begbie79
11-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Doesnt their badge have a picture of Rob Roy on it?

Yes it does.

Keith_M
11-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Used to go to watch The Hammers quite often but, haven't been since they moved to the new stadium. Keep an eye out for Inter's results as I was a big fan of Matthaus in the old days of C4's coverage.

Do you miss Upton Park*?

* Or Boleyn, if you prefer

norhfc
11-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Living in Norway I occassionally go to see the local team, Brann Bergen.
Have to say it just doesnt work for me, feels a bit like having an affair, (whatever that feels like,likes)
...and they have a summer season with Sunday night kick offs, na, its all wrong I tell ye.

Sylar
11-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Newcastle.

Outside Hibs and them I don't really watch much football. I find I can't get into it if I'm not supporting a team.

I could have sworn you were part of the small cohort of Man United fans on here for a while...:confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Do you miss Upton Park*?

* Or Boleyn, if you prefer

Aye, The OS just looks too sanitised and corporate to me. I like my football with a bit of an edge to it.

Hibeesmad
11-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Spurs. Supported them longer than Hibs.

Smartie
11-02-2020, 02:41 PM
Aye, The OS just looks too sanitised and corporate to me. I like my football with a bit of an edge to it.

The Boleyn ground was majestic. It was one of the places that had managed to retain a bit of soul whilst top level football slid into bland corporate garbage territory and is, imo, a tragic loss to English football.

StevieC
11-02-2020, 02:59 PM
I’ve been down a couple of times to see Newcastle, and I was genuinely surprised at how many travel down from Edinburgh to watch them. The amount of shirts and scarves on the train would have you thinking it was an official supporters charter.
We left at noon, down in time for a couple of beers pre match, a Chinese meal post match and back in Waverley just after 8.
I’ve never been hooked in to the extent of claiming to support them as such, but for those that do and want to see them regularly it’s a very doable outing.

Very doable. 1h20min on the train and often less than £20 return (if booked early). Easy walk from the train station passing loads of pubs and restaurants (and Chinatown) and Premiership football (although Newcastle haven’t been too impressive in recent years).
Also matches are very well priced, less than the cost of a derby game for the majority of the home fixtures.

My gran lived next to the stadium most of her life, my mum grew up there, and I spent a lot of school holidays there, so it’s pretty much in my blood.

hibee-boys
11-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Usually make it to 4 or 5 games a season, they play a 5 minute walk from my house and played for them at youth level so emotional attachment is there.....does that still sound edgy!lol

Not denying EPL/Champions league football can very entertaining but like I said i'm more a Hibs than a football fan. I do get more joy from watching our local side, much of which is made up lads from our local area, than trying to fake interest in the over hyped EPL.

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2020, 06:05 PM
I am now in the position that I have actually lived in Edinburgh longer than I lived in Liverpool. Given that I got my first Hibs season ticket in 92 I have also been a Hibs ST holder longer than I was at Liverpool. So my second team Hibs have actually had more real support from me at games than Liverpool have!

They’ll still always remain in the same order though 😁

Crab apple
11-02-2020, 06:09 PM
I go to see local team the binos if I'm not at Easter road

Grew up in BofA and still look out for the Binos result. Much prefered Annfield to Forthbank though.

Glory Lurker
11-02-2020, 06:09 PM
I am now in the position that I have actually lived in Edinburgh longer than I lived in Liverpool. Given that I got my first Hibs season ticket in 92 I have also been a Hibs ST holder longer than I was at Liverpool. So my second team Hibs have actually had more real support from me at games than Liverpool have!

They’ll still always remain in the same order though ��

It can only be a matter of time though surely :wink:? And - no way! - that must mean you’ve lived in Scotland longer than.....

Welcome aboard!!!!! :saltireflag :greengrin

Hibees1973
11-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Real Betis

Keith_M
11-02-2020, 07:12 PM

I can respect that point of view.

fishybeaver
11-02-2020, 07:19 PM
Watch Edinburgh City if there at home and Hibs are away, need my football fix.

MKHIBEE
11-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Followed Lincoln City for years, gave up when they won the National League 3 years ago, too many glory hunters and dickheads jumped on the bandwagon.

Killiehibbie
11-02-2020, 08:24 PM
I like to see a few English teams do well just to make the good guys i've met have a happy weekend. Any Scottish good guys can have another couple of pints to get over it.

Percy Vere
11-02-2020, 10:54 PM
Hibs first
Queen of the South because I was born in Dumfries.
In the 70’s growing up I liked Leeds Utd because of the Scottish players.
Also a soft spot for Liverpool, probably the Scottish input again over the years.

MrRobot
12-02-2020, 09:51 AM
Hibs will always be my team to support, but I do like Man United and follow their results/watch any game that I can, though that has been quite difficult since Fergie left.

KingPat4
12-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Hibernian, obviously.

Also look out for;

Alloa
Arsenal
Huddersfield
Penicuik
Tranmere

SteveHFC
12-02-2020, 12:08 PM
Personally want to see Leeds and Forest back in the premier league next season.

Barman Stanton
12-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Just Hibs. Although I generally want any team playing in green to win. Not that there is many of us!

Hibeesmad
12-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Personally want to see Leeds and Forest back in the premier league next season.

I think Leeds would be a great addition to the Premier League but you can't help but enjoy watching them bottle it all the time.

Jack Hackett
12-02-2020, 06:16 PM
I think Leeds would be a great addition to the Premier League but you can't help but enjoy watching them bottle it all the time.

Leeds have been at the top of my English s*** list since the Fairs Cup/UEFA Cup games of the 60's-70's.

hfc rd
12-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Hibs will always be my team to support, but I do like Man United and follow their results/watch any game that I can, though that has been quite difficult since Fergie left.

Same. Still go down to Old Trafford now and again. Had a season ticket there too in SAF latter years in charge before marriage and my little one arrived

Is It On....
12-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Scunny.

When everyone started getting email in the early 2000s nothing was initially getting through the new S****horpe local services firewall 😂

NB - .net must be using the same firewall as I have just had the name amended as well 😂

Jack Hackett
12-02-2020, 08:05 PM
When everyone started getting email in the early 2000s nothing was initially getting through the new S****horpe local services firewall 😂

NB - .net must be using the same firewall as I have just had the name amended as well 😂

It's not a firewall, it's a swear filter

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-02-2020, 08:29 PM
got a soft spot for Cliftonville, not a supporter as such but look out for their results

Lancs Harp
12-02-2020, 09:14 PM
Blackpool (where im from)

And a bit more left field teams i follow from afar Benfica and Penarol.

I have to admit to being football mad.

therealgavmac
12-02-2020, 09:18 PM
Always has been West Ham for me... was a season ticket holder... South Bank... 1979-1982

And, when they won the cup in 1980, my ticket was £2.50.... two pounds fifty pence!!!!!!

Lancs Harp
12-02-2020, 09:21 PM
Should have added Melchester Rovers 😀

basehibby
12-02-2020, 11:07 PM
I was wondering this today as I came back from watching the Milan derby. I don’t have a second team as I find it takes up all my concentration supporting Hibs! But I’m quite up for supporting Inter Milan.

But what criteria do you have for selecting another team? There’s a sense of going for a decent team so you can have a bit of success but that makes you a glory hunter.

I used to support Liverpool when I was a kid, probably more than I supported Hibs, due to the fact they were really good and they had loads of Scottish players.

I couldn’t support another Scottish team as my second club as I wouldn’t want them to play Hibs.

Anyway, this is what I was thinking about on the way back from Milan with a stubborn hangover during the middle of turbulence.

NO