PDA

View Full Version : Game in doubt v2

AugustaHibs
10-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Anyone reckon the game on Wednesday may be in doubt? Could see ross county struggling to get down the road....

green day
10-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Anyone reckon the game on Wednesday may be in doubt? Could see ross county struggling to get down the road....

You are kidding, right?

BegbieHSC
10-02-2020, 03:44 PM
If there's a danger to travelling COunty fans (which there could well be) they'd be within their rights to request a postponement, no?

green day
10-02-2020, 03:50 PM
If there's a danger to travelling COunty fans (which there could well be) they'd be within their rights to request a postponement, no?

I think this bit is right

CMurdoch
10-02-2020, 03:55 PM
All will be well by Wednesday morning.
Tuesday's SPFL game could be off though.

coldingham hibs
10-02-2020, 03:56 PM
Midweek games should be postponed. What is the point in supporters traveling to and from games when there is a risk of very poor weather conditions. Absolutely mental to put us through that.

sambajustice
10-02-2020, 03:58 PM

Ross County have fans???

Lago
10-02-2020, 04:43 PM
Midweek games should be postponed. What is the point in supporters traveling to and from games when there is a risk of very poor weather conditions. Absolutely mental to put us through that.
No one is forced to travel common sense should prevail.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 04:43 PM

The team?

flash
10-02-2020, 04:48 PM

If we were the away team would that be your attitude?

coldingham hibs
10-02-2020, 04:50 PM

Yes, but my group all have season tickets so we lose financially?.

Surely that’s not reasonable.

Lago
10-02-2020, 04:55 PM
If we were the away team would that be your attitude?

Yes that's the rules, but what is more of a concern to me, is that the we have had a winter shut down & immediately followed it with weekend & mid week games crammed in as soon as the clubs are back. Explain the logic of that please, nonsense typical Scottish football.

Carheenlea
10-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Football fans don’t have a lot of common sense when making decisions about travelling to games in poor weather, sometimes it needs taken out of our hands. Will be no problems on Wednesday though - can’t see it being that bad.

flash
10-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Yes that's the rules, but what is more of a concern to me, is that the we have had a winter shut down & immediately followed it with weekend & mid week games crammed in as soon as the clubs are back. Explain the logic of that please, nonsense typical Scottish football.
I agree with you but I reckon if people are being advised not to travel then sport should not be taking place.

Inconsequential
10-02-2020, 05:06 PM
The weather forecast for Wednesday in Dingwall is some sun and a moderate breeze astonishingly the same as for Edinburgh. Of course there may be 30 foot snowdrifts on the A9 to contend with. :wink:

Inconsequential
10-02-2020, 05:11 PM
Ross County have fans??? For a small town and catchment area and close proximity to Inverness Ross County have an great support.

BS44
10-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Are they walking it?

Keith_M
10-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Cancelling a game for 50 or so away fans would be a bit much.

04Sauzee
10-02-2020, 05:37 PM
Cancelling a game for 50 or so away fans would be a bit much.

If its not safe its not safe, never mind if its 50 or thousands. Fair play to the 50 or so that do travel down to support their team.

hibee
10-02-2020, 05:41 PM
This happens every year just so the players can have a wee break in the sun, we miss out on weekend games in January and have to freeze in terrible weather conditions for midweek February games.

zitelli62
10-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Sure I read ross county have the biggest support in Scotland per head of population.

Corstorphine Hibby
10-02-2020, 06:40 PM

They played a Scotland v England womens rugby match at Murrayfield today.

Greenworld
10-02-2020, 06:48 PM
Are they walking it?
Cancelling a game for 50 or so away fans would be a bit much.Exactly it's not happening the team can fly down if they want ..easy stuff it's just a bit slush and nothing lying in edinburgh

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Tarrahib
10-02-2020, 07:08 PM
They played a Scotland v England womens rugby match at Murrayfield today.
Behind closed doors.

Jack Hackett
10-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Bit of wind and rain and the media treat it like the apocalypse.

Life's a risk ffs... from birth to death!

Pretty Boy
10-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Queensferry Crossing closed to southbound traffic, falling ice has damaged the carriageway. Worth remembering someone was killed yesterday in England in an accident related to the weather.

If the weather improves then great but no football match is worth endangering people.

Hermit Crab
10-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Lets not forget the Easter Rd pitch has taken, and will continue to take a battering from the rain and snow over the next few days, it could well be unplayable on Wednesday.

eastterrace
10-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Lets not forget the Easter Rd pitch has taken, and will continue to take a battering from the rain and snow over the next few days, it could well be unplayable on Wednesday.
Eh you really believe that. The pitch will be in perfect condition on Wednesday unless the beast from the east returns.

O'Rourke3
10-02-2020, 08:29 PM
A chunk of ice fell onto my daughters car breaking a windscreen wiper and denting the bonnet, two other cars have been damaged with one having their windscreen smashed.
My daughter phoned to report it to their call centre and they said they send out a form, my daughter said they might want to report it to the bridge control in case more falls, more fell so they closed the bridge.Hope your daughter's OK

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
10-02-2020, 09:17 PM
I live at 200m above Pitlochry, currently 10cm of snow. More expected tomorrow, and the A9 is a lot higher at both the Slochd and Drumochter. I wouldn't want to drive that at night when more snow is going to fall.

Diclonius
10-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Sure I read ross county have the biggest support in Scotland per head of population.

To be fair, a lot of them are old Caledonian/Inverness Thistle fans who switched after the merger.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2020, 10:59 PM
To be fair, a lot of them are old Caledonian/Inverness Thistle fans who switched after the merger.

Evidence welcome.

Greenfly
11-02-2020, 12:38 AM
Forecast looks ok for Wed - cold but not much more than a stiff breeze and very little rain as the day goes on. "Pony up" as someone else once said.

FilipinoHibs
11-02-2020, 04:18 AM
Good to see the weather bed weters out in force. Thanks to all those doing the counselling.

Pretty Boy
11-02-2020, 06:03 AM
Good to see the weather bed weters out in force. Thanks to all those doing the counselling.

Do the bedwetters include the Met Office, Police Scotland and Transport Scotland?

FilipinoHibs
11-02-2020, 06:07 AM
Do the bedwetters include the Met Office, Police Scotland and Transport Scotland?

The same group that set off the bed weters at the weekend. And the forecast for tomorrow is sunny and 4 degrees all the way from the highlands to Edinburgh. I hope that helps people's worries.

AugustaHibs
11-02-2020, 06:56 AM
The same group that set off the bed weters at the weekend. And the forecast for tomorrow is sunny and 4 degrees all the way from the highlands to Edinburgh. I hope that helps people's worries.

So I presume that previous snowfall just disappears then because the current forecast? Really don’t understand people’s attitude on here at times. It’s not about being worried more just wondering if the game is going to be on for **** sake. Hope that helps your worries.

RoYO!
11-02-2020, 07:48 AM
I drove the A9 from inverness to aviemore yesterday- road completely fine, no banks of snow at the sides of the road, a couple of inches max in places, other places still green. Road surface itself completely free of snow. Even at Slochd it was fine.

Inverness itself had seen very little snow with most falling as sleet.

Woke up this morning to find a further thaw- using the patented 'how much snow is there on the balcony railing' test.

Not sure how much more will come but it's currently no bother up here.

Keith_M
11-02-2020, 08:03 AM
If its not safe its not safe, never mind if its 50 or thousands. Fair play to the 50 or so that do travel down to support their team.

Nah, cancelling a match because fifty fans aren't able to attend is a step too far.

Give them a refund on their tickets and £100 compensation and just play the game.

theonlywayisup
11-02-2020, 08:17 AM

Apologies, but that's a load of rubbish.

When the merger took place, those who objected to it vowed to support Clachnacuddin.

Everyone looks at Dingwall and are surprised that Ross County get so many fans. However they forget that you've got people from Tain, Alness and Invergordon to the North, the Black Isle to the South and Wester Ross to West traveling to support Ross County.

04Sauzee
11-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Nah, cancelling a match because fifty fans aren't able to attend is a step too far.

Give them a refund on their tickets and £100 compensation and just play the game.

Ill stand by my comment thanks

lyonhibs
11-02-2020, 11:36 AM
If travelling/road conditions are deemed too dangerous by people rather more qualified than the amateur Michael Fish appreciation society we seem to have a few members of, then a postponement is the right call.

Henderson2Del
11-02-2020, 11:36 AM

Yes. 100%. The weather hasn’t changed that much in recent years but we struggle to function. So many other countries get far harsher weather and cope. We are ill prepared and too soft. Likely worried someone complains or takes legal action.

SquashedFrogg
11-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Yes. 100%. The weather hasn’t changed that much in recent years but we struggle to function. So many other countries get far harsher weather and cope. We are ill prepared and too soft. Likely worried someone complains or takes legal action.

What on earth are you talking about? If the Met Office were worried about legal action they wouldn't give out forecasts in the first place.

As for being too soft. How many Hibs games have been cancelled due to weather in the last 40 years?

Hermit Crab
11-02-2020, 11:44 AM
What on earth are you talking about? If the Met Office were worried about legal action they wouldn't give out forecasts in the first place.

As for being too soft. How many Hibs games have been cancelled due to weather in the last 40 years?

I'd wager quite a few.

Kojock
11-02-2020, 11:47 AM
If travelling/road conditions are deemed too dangerous by people rather more qualified than the amateur Michael Fish appreciation society we seem to have a few members of, then a postponement is the right call.

Where do we draw the line tho, Tom Walker is playing at The Caves Edinburgh tomorrow night to a sold out crowd of 650. Do we cancel this, do we close all theatres, cinemas, concert halls, restaurants etc.

SquashedFrogg
11-02-2020, 11:51 AM
I'd wager quite a few.

In proportion to the games not cancelled? I'd suggest very few.

green day
11-02-2020, 11:54 AM

The UK seems correctly prepared for the usual weather we get here. i.e. relatively warm and wet with little snow outside of the occasional bad winter.

I go to the Alps most years and in mountain areas they are properly prepared / snow tyres / chains / loads of ploughs etc. Outside the mountain areas? Just the same as here - and rightly so, why would you have the country on red alert and everyone destroying winter tyres every year for a couple of days snow here and there???

If I lived in the cairngorms, I might have a 4x4 with snow tyres, but it seems pointless in Edinburgh to be honest.

Back on topic, it will be windy and cold tomorrow night...................armageddon it isnt.

flash
11-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Where do we draw the line tho, Tom Walker is playing at The Caves Edinburgh tomorrow night to a sold out crowd of 650. Do we cancel this, do we close all theatres, cinemas, concert halls, restaurants etc.

Aye because he's murder.

Blurhibee
11-02-2020, 12:33 PM
The one thing I will say I can imagine the pitch will be waterlogged at the moment, because where I work the pitches here are as wet as I’ve seen them and I work at one of the private school pitches on ferry road which isn’t very far away from Easter road.

jgl07
11-02-2020, 12:48 PM
Apologies, but that's a load of rubbish.

When the merger took place, those who objected to it vowed to support Clachnacuddin.

That’s different from what I heard. I spoke to someone from Inverness at the Edinburgh Folk Festival shortly after the merger and he said that a lot of Thistle fans and some from Caledonian switched to Ross County as they were also admitted to the SFL.

The grand merger in Inverness, that was originally supposed to include Clachnacuddin as well, has produced a team with a smaller fan base than Ross County. I suspect that had Caledonian been allowed to go it alone for the SFL place, they would have a higher support than ICT has now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-02-2020, 12:49 PM

Who's Tom Walker? 🤔

KeithTheHibby
11-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Once again they appear to have got the dates for the winter shutdown correct. 🥺🥺🥺

Waxy
11-02-2020, 12:57 PM
All of Scotland still has to travel to work yet shut down football lol.

Wakeyhibee
11-02-2020, 12:59 PM

Strange that they didn't want to support a United Inverness team yet ended up supporting another together.

Tbf I worked with a lad who was a Thistle fan and did migrate to ICT but found it soulless (his words) so him and others switched to Ross County.

CMurdoch
11-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Latest from the BBC weather for match time tomorrow.
Scorchio! .............not.

10 mph winds and 11% chance of rain with a temperature of 1 degree.
So basically cauld. Wrap up well.

P.S. Wind drops to approx 20 mph and chances of rain to 20% from 4am tomorrow morning and does not go back up to the heady heights of the last few days.

Alfred E Newman
11-02-2020, 02:15 PM
I'd wager quite a few.

I would reckon you could count them on one hand.

Diclonius
11-02-2020, 02:40 PM
All of Scotland still has to travel to work yet shut down football lol.

I imagine if your job required you to travel from Dingwall to Edinburgh and back on a Wednesday evening, you probably wouldn't in this weather.

hibbie02
11-02-2020, 03:20 PM
The one thing I will say I can imagine the pitch will be waterlogged at the moment, because where I work the pitches here are as wet as I’ve seen them and I work at one of the private school pitches on ferry road which isn’t very far away from Easter road.

I can assure you the drainage at ER is far superior to the boggy quagmires of Goldenacre, which from personal experience were always horrendous in the winter.

Blurhibee
11-02-2020, 03:59 PM
I can assure you the drainage at ER is far superior to the boggy quagmires of Goldenacre, which from personal experience were always horrendous in the winter.
I don’t work at Goldenacre, believe me the pitch will be very wet tomorrow with the amount of water that has fallen since Saturday afternoon.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2020, 04:05 PM
I don’t work at Goldenacre, believe me the pitch will be very wet tomorrow with the amount of water that has fallen since Saturday afternoon.

It will be soaking and it'll cut up very easily. I imagine it'll resemble a ploughed field at 10pm, but there won't be puddles, and the ball should bounce almost as normal, no?

04Sauzee
11-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Hopefully the Queensferry crossing will be back open tomorrow night or it could put on a fair bit of travelling time for a few Hibees

Since452
11-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Hopefully the Queensferry crossing will be back open tomorrow night or it could put on a fair bit of travelling time for a few Hibees

Fife Hibees pretty much screwed otherwise

04Sauzee
11-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Fife Hibees pretty much screwed otherwise

Can get a train but, times arent great, bus times are worse or you can drive via the Kinkardine bridge at rush hour 😐

Lago
11-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Yip, have to hope the wind stops blowing from the West, temperatures rise & the current slushy rain/snow stops. The excuses sound a bit like leaves on the tracks from Scot rail. 🙄

Nicho87
11-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Coming over from fife hopefully. Will only come over if new bridge is re-open. A lot of faffing about on a school night.

Keith_M
11-02-2020, 07:21 PM
Ill stand by my comment thanks

Good for you.

Keith_M
11-02-2020, 07:24 PM
I imagine if your job required you to travel from Dingwall to Edinburgh and back on a Wednesday evening, you probably wouldn't in this weather.

If my job required that I would laugh my head off at the prospect.

Jones28
11-02-2020, 07:36 PM
Can get a train but, times arent great, bus times are worse or you can drive via the Kinkardine bridge at rush hour 😐

Avoid that at all costs, it’s a nightmare.

Fuzzywuzzy
11-02-2020, 07:39 PM

Did something not happen at this time last year with ross county or ict that a supporters bus was in an accident or something and it held up the team bus. The club weren't happy they were expected to travel with fans in the first place

Pretty Boy
12-02-2020, 06:14 AM
I walked into work this morning and the ice is brutal. Proper black ice. If you're walking or driving anywhere then take care.

Bristolhibby
12-02-2020, 06:21 AM

Get the team down during the day. Stay in a hotel tonight. Back up the road tomorrow.

Jobs a good un.

J

cymscowgate
12-02-2020, 06:25 AM

They would expect us to go up there, despite our current travel problems. If their team can turn up so can they!!

FilipinoHibs
12-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Rising temperatures and sunny with the wind speed dropping over the day.

Carheenlea
12-02-2020, 06:31 AM
Queensferry Crossing hoping to reopen later today with weather forecast. Hoping and actually reopening are two different things, and I’m glad I’m not travelling to game from that side of country.

lyonhibs
12-02-2020, 07:20 AM
They would expect us to go up there, despite our current travel problems. If their team can turn up so can they!!

Would they? Would they glibly ignore police advice etc (if it is indeed forthcoming, hopefully it won't be) and "expect" hundreds of Hibs fans to schlep up the A9 in dubious conditions?

I doubt it somehow. It's somewhat "arrogant Jambo" to think that a game against a team from Dingwall shouldn't be cancelled cos Hibs fans from much, much closer to ER can make it to the game no bother. Whatever advice comes from the relevant authorities should be followed. Fan safety is paramount, whether for 5, 50, 500 or 50,000 fans.

Phil MaGlass
12-02-2020, 07:22 AM
Why is it that trains can run across the bridge but cars cannae go on the other, surely theres hanging ice and falling ice on the train bridge?

Peevemor
12-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Why is it that trains can run across the bridge but cars cannae go on the other, surely theres hanging ice and falling ice on the train bridge?

The ice has been forming at the top of the bridge. The Queensferry Crossing at 207m is more than twice the height of the Forth Bridge (100.6m). The Forth Road Bridge is betweeen the 2 at 156m high.

Hermit Crab
12-02-2020, 08:04 AM
Severe weather outside Inverness this morning. Travel by road could be tricky if that keeps up.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200212/9f160be1e2f27dec9339178fd4e5ba00.jpg

Greenworld
12-02-2020, 08:05 AM
I don’t work at Goldenacre, believe me the pitch will be very wet tomorrow with the amount of water that has fallen since Saturday afternoon.The drainage system at Easter road is superb so I doubt that will be a problem . A wee blast of under soil heating and it will be good to go

Greenworld
12-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Severe weather outside Inverness this morning. Travel by road could be tricky if that keeps up.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200212/9f160be1e2f27dec9339178fd4e5ba00.jpgYou've got to think Hermit that they would have travelled down yesterday and stayed overnight

JimBHibees
12-02-2020, 08:10 AM
You've got to think Hermit that they would have travelled down yesterday and stayed overnight

I think they will travel during the day and likely stay overnight.

Hermit Crab
12-02-2020, 08:11 AM
You've got to think Hermit that they would have travelled down yesterday and stayed overnight

Maybe their budget wouldn't allow for that? Bus, hotel and meals for about 25 folk? Cost a few quid.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 08:51 AM

I very much doubt that. That would cost 2 night's accommodation and meals for, what, 25 people?

They've got all day today to travel.

Billy Whizz
12-02-2020, 08:58 AM
I very much doubt that. That would cost 2 night's accommodation and meals for, what, 25 people?

They've got all day today to travel.

Hibs went up the night before when we played County in December, travelled home after the game

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Hibs went up the night before when we played County in December, travelled home after the game

Really?

I'm surprised and I stand corrected, but that's excellent preparation.

How did we get on? :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2020, 10:10 AM
Snowing up in Sleepy Hollow

greenlex
12-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Snowing very heavily at Lexo towers in Narnia.

CallumLaidlaw
12-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Bridge now open. Snowing heavily at hermiston gait at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
12-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Snowing about half a mile from ER. Doesn't look like it's going to lie though.

EastThomasSTboy
12-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Hope your daughter's OK

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Its A White _out At Fairmilehead Absolute Blizzard right now!!!!:flag::flag:

FilipinoHibs
12-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Forecast sunny from 12😳

Mr Grieves
12-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Snowing about half a mile from ER. Doesn't look like it's going to lie though.

Yep, heavy snow shower in Leith and there was a lot of black ice around this morning. The game will be on but its going to be a cold one.

Carheenlea
12-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Queensferry Bridge reopened

Since452
12-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Queensferry Bridge reopened

Yey

Moulin Yarns
12-02-2020, 01:31 PM
A9 is clear from Pitlochry to Perth. Sunny in the Pit, snow melting.

GreenCastle
12-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Sunny in Edinbugh just now ! No wind just bit cold !

Hibeesmad
12-02-2020, 02:25 PM
How are the folk from Dingwall getting on?

Pretty Boy
12-02-2020, 03:52 PM
A night for wrapping up warm. Official temp will be about 1 degrees at kick off but the feels like will be a good 2 to 4 degrees lower.

Fuzzywuzzy
12-02-2020, 03:54 PM
I had to go to decathlon to get thermals. Cheap as chips. £8 for top and bottoms

Tarrahib
12-02-2020, 04:22 PM
How are the folk from Dingwall getting on?
Were here.

Hibeesmad
12-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Were here.

Glad to hear it. Safe journeys back.

Hibernian Verse
12-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Were here.a9 shut northbound hope you're staying over

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Tarrahib
12-02-2020, 05:11 PM
a9 shut northbound hope you're staying over

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Ah well Killie on Sunday then.

Fuzzywuzzy
12-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Meant to start snowing again in an hour according to accuweather

Tarrahib
12-02-2020, 05:20 PM
Glad to hear it. Safe journeys back.
Thank you .We go stuck in Edinburgh for 3 nights during the beast from the east.Had to come back for the re arranged match.

Hibeesmad
12-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Thank you .We go stuck in Edinburgh for 3 nights during the beast from the east.Had to come back for the re arranged match.

Commitment at it's finest.

Tarrahib
12-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Commitment at it's finest.
Can I have your Hibs Net name?:thumbsup:

Hibby70
12-02-2020, 06:04 PM
In the West and it's not too bad. No wind. Although I did have a chippy earlier.