PDA

View Full Version : Left back

Pages : [1] 2

AugustaHibs
10-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Who would people like to see us bring in, in summer? Clearly a position that doesn’t have any competition and I also don’t think stevenson is good enough. I’d probably take Motherwell left back if we could afford him

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2020, 12:53 PM
St Mirren had a good young left back under Stubbs Harry Coulson on loan from Middlesbrough

I notice he is now a regular at Middlesbrough might well be worth putting in the notebook in case he falls out of favour

Reminded me of a young Lewis 😁

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 01:15 PM
St Mirren had a good young left back under Stubbs Harry Coulson on loan from Middlesbrough

Were people shouting "Coulson, you're sheite" at him? :wink:

Stuart93
10-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Not sure who to bring in but it’s a shame this has became a problem area this season as Lewis hasn’t been his consistent self.

Definitely needs addressed as does CH.

Hermit Crab
10-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Who would people like to see us bring in, in summer? Clearly a position that doesn’t have any competition and I also don’t think stevenson is good enough. I’d probably take Motherwell left back if we could afford him

Treading on dodgy ground posting that on here mate. Get yer tin hat on. :greengrin :duck:

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 01:28 PM

I can't remember which left backs we've had to cover for Lewis. Was the boy Eskilson or whatever from hearts a left back?

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Were people shouting "Coulson, you're sheite" at him? :wink:

Maybe so but doubtful if we can afford him now

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Lee Wallace?

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Didn’t Ryan McGivern keep Lewis out the team? He definitely “played” left back.

Onceinawhile
10-02-2020, 01:48 PM
I can't remember which left backs we've had to cover for Lewis. Was the boy Eskilson or whatever from hearts a left back?

Eckersley. Think he was, but think he was injured the whole time.

Miquel Nelom as well, now playing for Willem II.

speedy_gonzales
10-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Was that not when Lewis has his spell on the right?

Is It On....
10-02-2020, 02:02 PM

I notice he is now a regular at Middlesbrough might well be worth putting in the notebook in case he falls out of favour

I remember the last "left back" we got from Middlesbrough was a young lad called David Murphy - he was quite "decent" 🙂

MB62
10-02-2020, 02:07 PM

The whole defence needs replaced, not just left back.

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Was that not when Lewis has his spell on the right?

Can remember tbh I try to blank that period out. I just remember him and his floated throw ins and chips down the left and being roasted off Kevin McHatrie in a derby.

hibee-boys
I suspect this will be Lewis's last season as first choice left back. Hell of a run and a great hibs career but we need an upgrade.

BILLYHIBS
I remember the last "left back" we got from Middlesbrough was a young lad called David Murphy - he was quite "decent" 🙂

My thoughts exactly a wand of a left peg

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 02:11 PM
The whole defence needs replaced, not just left back.

Left back should be priority but yes they all need replaced apart from Porteous. McGinn should be good cover.

drumatic44
10-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Left back should be priority but yes they all need replaced apart from Porteous. McGinn should be good cover.

Was Sean Mackie not supposed to be the long term solution ? Mixed reports from his time at Dundee, and now injured, so maybe not . !!

Centre Hawf
10-02-2020, 02:51 PM

Around that time Lewis wasn't really being utilised as an actual left back and had been POTY at a CM previously, and as someone said he played RB for a while and even LM ahead of McGivern, he moved back into LB when McPake and Hanlons injuries meant McGivern moved into LCB and he's been there ever since.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 02:53 PM

:agree:

One of my favourite players.

He was left back in the Cup final with Lewis in front of him,biirc.

Lewis was man of the match.

hibIBZ
10-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Stevenson has been a great servant for the club and his consistency has been fantastic. But I agree that it is coming to a time were a long term replacement is needed while Stevenson is still able to play at a good standard, albeit perhaps not every week

DTS
10-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Lewis like rest of the back 4 that started against St Mirren have done very well to fight off competition previously, that being said most players have only been brought in to “provide competition”. It is now time we sign new players to overtake them. I hope we sign a starting LB and CB in the summer with Hanlon and Stevenson dropping to the bench and then Naismith perm to compete with McGinn for RB to all play alongside porteous

heretoday
10-02-2020, 03:10 PM

One of my favourite players.

He was left back in the Cup final with Lewis in front of him,biirc.

Lewis was man of the match.

I've always thought that he'd be worth trying in a sort of number 10 role. He didn't start out playing leftback.

It's probably too late now.

Centre Hawf
10-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Lewis like rest of the back 4 that started against St Mirren have done very well to fight off competition previously, that being said most players have only been brought in to “provide competition”. It is now time we sign new players to overtake them. I hope we sign a starting LB and CB in the summer with Hanlon and Stevenson dropping to the bench and then Naismith perm to compete with McGinn for RB to all play alongside porteous

I have to agree. I think unfortunately, and people won't like me for saying this, for me Davie Gray's time is up. His injuries are just too much of a concern for me going forward and the 4 year deal was a huge mistake on the clubs part.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 03:25 PM

Hanlon having a better season than Porteous.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 03:37 PM
I have to agree. I think unfortunately, and people won't like me for saying this, for me Davie Gray's time is up. His injuries are just too much of a concern for me going forward and the 4 year deal was a huge mistake on the clubs part.

I'm not sure about the contract length, but I agree it's not looking good for his longevity as a player.

I'm inclined to temper that, however, with the knowledge that he's not played much since his injury and he's nowhere near match fit.

I hope there's a bit left in his tank yet.

danhibees1875
10-02-2020, 03:49 PM
Depends if we we're wanting to play 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 the sort of left back we'd go for I guess.

Experience tells me they'd end up playing second fiddle to LS regardless as he retains his starting position.

angus hibby
10-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Maybe just me, but I think Lewis will be our LB for another couple of seasons at least. And I’m more than happy at that.

The Modfather
10-02-2020, 05:17 PM
Hanlon having a better season than Porteous.

Maybe so, but Porteous is someone we should be doing all we can to help fulfil his potential. It feels like his progression has stalled but he is our future. Hanlon has been a good servant, and can still contribute, but I think the 17/18 season was his peak and unlikely to reach those levels again.

hibee_girl
10-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Maybe just me, but I think Lewis will be our LB for another couple of seasons at least. And I’m more than happy at that.

Agreed :agree:

Northernhibee
10-02-2020, 05:20 PM

The reason that no player has “overtaken” Stevenson and Hanlon is because they have been excellent for us. We would never sign a player to “just” be competition, we look for the best players in our price range.

Hanlon and Stevenson will be a lot, lot harder to replace than people realise.

B.H.F.C
10-02-2020, 05:24 PM

A lot of talk about Hanlon and Stevenson being replaced. As it stands, I think it’s more likely to be Stevenson not in the team next season.

Part of a struggling defence and offering next to nothing in an attacking sense at the moment.

I think we’ll sign a left back in the summer.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Maybe so, but Porteous is someone we should be doing all we can to help fulfil his potential. It feels like his progression has stalled but he is our future. Hanlon has been a good servant, and can still contribute, but I think the 17/18 season was his peak and unlikely to reach those levels again.

Playing next to Hanlon will only help Porteous. Hanlon rarely dives in, Ryan does it far too often. They would probably make a good partnership if they can both stay fit.

Hanlon has been a lot more than a good servent. He is a huge club legend and still has plenty to contribute.

Clarence
10-02-2020, 05:55 PM
We’ve not had many great left backs in the last 30 years. Murphy, Laursen and Stevenson for his contribution over the years. Can’t think of many others that I’d hold in high regard.

h1bs4life
10-02-2020, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure about the contract length, but I agree it's not looking good for his longevity as a player.

I'm inclined to temper that, however, with the knowledge that he's not played much since his injury and he's nowhere near match fit.

I hope there's a bit left in his tank yet.

Hoping the same with Sir David that he will be back playing and leading the team but unfortunately it looks like injuries have caught up with him. In my 50 odd years supporting Hibs hes right up with the great captains like Sir Paddy and probably the most important , iconic figure in my lifetime. Hopefully he will get all his coaching badges and will be in the dugout as part of a management team. Hanlon and Stevenson will rightly be known as CUP winning legends but when it comes to the league not for me. How many top 4 finishes have we had with them as mainstays in the defence? There's a reason why they have been here for over 10 years.

DTS
10-02-2020, 06:21 PM
The reason that no player has “overtaken” Stevenson and Hanlon is because they have been excellent for us. We would never sign a player to “just” be competition, we look for the best players in our price range.

I do not disagree with any of that, but Stevenson has been poor this season especially compared to his usual high levels he passes the ball straight out of play at least once a game. Both excellent servants and legends and will be hard to replace but it’s high time we actually looked for the best in the LCB and LB department, a quick think back at our left backs since the cup final that we’ve brought in, rherras nelom eckersley you think they’re the best we can do in they positions? We haven’t done anything more than squad gap/back up in that position for years to the testament of Stevenson but the time has come to look to the future, age catches everyone. Further to that when did we last sign a left footed centre back? Someone who could be conceivably formed a long term partnership with for example Mcgregor? I can’t recall one, ambrose Jackson Mclean etc all play as the RCB, again testament to Hanlon but it’s time to move on. I think replacing Hanlon is less pressing than Stevenson and Gray but a CB is key as I now think even the Odd game here and there when he plays McGregor costs us as he needed a run of games to get fully to speed at the best of times. Hopefully as I mentioned in the first post we can sign 1 LB 1 RB and 1 CB. Gray and McGregor in and around the squad but purely for bench cover. Right now for me our strongest back 4 if everyone is fit would be.

Stevenson Jackson porteous Naismith

PISTOL1875
10-02-2020, 06:22 PM
If Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon are going to be starting for us next season then we are going to be in serious trouble...

tamig
10-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Not sure who to bring in but it’s a shame this has became a problem area this season as Lewis hasn’t been his consistent self.

Definitely needs addressed as does CH.

Folk seem to forget that Lewis had no pre-season and the previous manager threw him back in at the earliest opportunity. He was way below his usual standards and I don’t think he’s ever recovered. In saying that, with a proper pre-season in the summer, he might just bounce back. I certainly wouldn’t be writing him off just yet.

Stuart93
10-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Folk seem to forget that Lewis had no pre-season and the previous manager threw him back in at the earliest opportunity. He was way below his usual standards and I don’t think he’s ever recovered. In saying that, with a proper pre-season in the summer, he might just bounce back. I certainly wouldn’t be writing him off just yet.

What do you do though? Let the summer pass without bringing in a left back in the hope Stevenson will be back to his best next season?

I’d rather we brought in a left back better than Stevenson which I realise isn’t the easiest thing to do and I’m by no means slating LS’s ability.

The only way we get better is by replacing players playing for us with better players either signing them or bringing them through the youths. Like people have said there’s no room in football for sentiment unfortunately.

Onceinawhile
10-02-2020, 06:37 PM
We’ve not had many great left backs in the last 30 years. Murphy, Laursen and Stevenson for his contribution over the years. Can’t think of many others that I’d hold in high regard.

Graeme Mitchell.

Clarence
10-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Graeme Mitchell.

Cup winner no less

tamig
10-02-2020, 06:45 PM
What do you do though? Let the summer pass without bringing in a left back in the hope Stevenson will be back to his best next season?

I’d rather we brought in a left back better than Stevenson which I realise isn’t the easiest thing to do and I’m by no means slating LS’s ability.

The only way we get better is by replacing players playing for us with better players either signing them or bringing them through the youths. Like people have said there’s no room in football for sentiment unfortunately.
No I wasn’t suggesting we take that risk. We need to have another left back who’s capable of starting games and holding down the position. I’ve never thought Mackie was that guy. I was just saying that a fit Lewis would be more than capable of being our number one left back. If he can get back to his previous levels.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 06:47 PM
If Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon are going to be starting for us next season then we are going to be in serious trouble...

Oh shut up with that exaggeration. We will not be in serious trouble. Bury are in serious trouble mate, not Hibs. They're starting now and we'll finish the season top 6 and with 2 semi finals. You haven't been watching Hibs long if this is serious trouble.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 06:50 PM
It does seem that we need to have a player (s) to blame or to vent our collective spleen upon.

A few weeks ago people were slating Steven Whittaker. Legs gone, man short, finished, worse than useless etc etc.

Recently he's been excellent and I've read posters saying he should be fine for next season.

Once again, Lewis is fulfilling that role with Paul Hanlon close behind although there are regularly worse performers in the side than them.

Some players seem to be able to do no wrong with people ignoring mistakes and concentrating on the positive things they do.

That's the way it should be for all our players if we really want to support them, but with Lewis and Paul, it's the exact opposite.

FWIW, I think that both of them will continue to be good and important players for us during the rest of this season and next.

Smartie
10-02-2020, 06:54 PM
I've always thought that he'd be worth trying in a sort of number 10 role. He didn't start out playing leftback.

It's probably too late now.

I always liked him as a central midfielder and he has all the attributes our midfield was lacking earlier this season.

We didn’t have anyone else to play LB though...

supermcginn
10-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Bounce back to what though? He's always been an average full back and at his age he's only going to get slower and poorer. Hanlon is the same, average player and good servant but we need better if we want to progress.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 07:03 PM
Bounce back to what though? He's always been an average full back and at his age he's only going to get slower and poorer. Hanlon is the same, average player and good servant but we need better if we want to progress.

What can Hibs progress to that those ''average'' players haven't already achieved?

Both players miles better than average at their best.

The Modfather
10-02-2020, 07:10 PM
It does seem that we need to have a player (s) to blame or to vent our collective spleen upon.

A few weeks ago people were slating Steven Whittaker. Legs gone, man short, finished, worse than useless etc etc.

Recently he's been excellent and I've read posters saying he should be fine for next season.

Once again, Lewis is fulfilling that role with Paul Hanlon close behind although there are regularly worse performers in the side than them.

Some players seem to be able to do no wrong with people ignoring mistakes and concentrating on the positive things they do.

That's the way it should be for all our players if we really want to support them, but with Lewis and Paul, it's the exact opposite.

FWIW, I think that both of them will continue to be good and important players for us during the rest of this season and next.

While all you say is true. There is also a general tendency from some, not necessarily on this thread, to stifle any real debate about the individual components of our defence. The general consensus seems to be that collectively our defence isn’t good enough for anything more than finishing top 6. Yet some posters don’t want to entertain the notion that difficult decisions need made if we are to improve.

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Anyone remember Tom Smith from the Millennium Derby team?

I thought he looked decent but seemed to disappear

I think he must have picked up a bad injury

Smartie
10-02-2020, 07:13 PM
What can Hibs progress to that those ''average'' players haven't already achieved?

It’s a bit of a cliche, but those 2 players will only truly be appreciated by some people once they’re no longer playing for us.

They’re both good players who have played some excellent football for us in some excellent teams.

jakedance
10-02-2020, 07:13 PM
I’ve always felt that with Lewis he’s a great pro and very dependable but rarely better or worse than a 7/10. He’d always have a place in my squad but the benchmark for a starting left back at Hibs is David Murphy or Ulrik Laursen.

At the moment we’re an average team that is well placed at sixth in the league. I’d be up for strengthening every position but defence is a priority.

tamig
10-02-2020, 07:18 PM
Anyone remember Tom Smith from the Millennium Derby team?

I thought he looked decent but seemed to disappear

I think he must have picked up a bad injury
He was an excellent full back. His career ended way too early through injury.

PISTOL1875
10-02-2020, 07:18 PM
Oh shut up with that exaggeration. We will not be in serious trouble. Bury are in serious trouble mate, not Hibs. They're starting now and we'll finish the season top 6 and with 2 semi finals. You haven't been watching Hibs long if this is serious trouble.

These two are getting worse by the week. Stevenson contributes very little and Hanlon is powderpuff in the middle He was battered about by the BSC forward yesterday on more than one occasion..

They simply aren't gonna get any better and persisting with them is going to be a grave error...............

hibbysam
10-02-2020, 07:21 PM
These two are getting worse by the week. Stevenson contributes very little and Hanlon is powderpuff in the middle He was battered about by the BSC forward yesterday on more than one occasion..

They simply aren't gonna get any better and persisting with them is going to be a grave error...............

Hanlon was in a one man defence yesterday for 60 minutes against 2 big centre forwards, in howling winds, and still won the majority of his aerial duals. Don’t care who you play against, you cannot play one centre half and two wing backs as makeshift centre backs (with them bombing forward) and expect to be solid, against anybody.

Folk can make wild claims all they want, stats prove the fact that Hanlon has been good, and especially so when his centre half partner has changed literally every single week.

tamig
10-02-2020, 07:21 PM

He’s not just been average. He had some excellent seasons not so long ago under both Stubbs and Lennon. Like I said earlier, he’s never been fit this season.

supermcginn
10-02-2020, 07:22 PM

Finish top 3 in the league. If they were better than average they would have moved on to bigger things years ago. We are a shambles at the back it's incredible people don't want us to improve.

B.H.F.C
10-02-2020, 07:26 PM
He’s not just been average. He had some excellent seasons not so long ago under both Stubbs and Lennon. Like I said earlier, he’s never been fit this season.

I’m not sure I’d agree Lewis never been fit this season. Certainly a valid reason for taking some time to get up to speed.

However, he’s played every game since coming back, trained and even had winter break and training camp.

I think it’s stretching to say fitness has been an issue all season.

cmcd
10-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Bounce back to what though? He's always been an average full back and at his age he's only going to get slower and poorer. Hanlon is the same, average player and good servant but we need better if we want to progress. Has always been average???

h1bs4life
10-02-2020, 07:29 PM

P

No idea where venting there splean comes from, been season ticket holder in famous five upper since it opened so have probably seen every home game as well as well a quite away games , cup ties both have played in. Never heard any personal abuse or booing of either, plenty of collective groans and for f### sakes when they have made a mistake but no different from any other player. Some people are over protective or very sensitive to certain players being criticised or people not rating them. Not sure if it because they know them personally. Have already stated both are rightly CUP winning legends but not when it comes to the league , how many 4th place finshes have we had with them being part of the defence and why do you think they have both been here for 10 years.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 07:33 PM
While all you say is true. There is also a general tendency from some, not necessarily on this thread, to stifle any real debate about the individual components of our defence. The general consensus seems to be that collectively our defence isn’t good enough for anything more than finishing top 6. Yet some posters don’t want to entertain the notion that difficult decisions need made if we are to improve.

I'm usually quick to seize upon posts about Lewis, in particular, and Paul which I think are unfair or imbalanced. Unfortunately there are far too many of them.

I believe that we need additions to the squad because we're not going to see much more if Darren McGregor other than when we're badly stretched by injury or suspension, and David Gray's days also look numbered.

Ironically however, those players, whilst not delivering even close to the standards we require, are not subjected to the same level of criticism which is often close to vitriol, that seems to accompany Lewis and Paul's every performance.

The fact that Paul scored for us against The Rangers didn't even register on this site. Instead people blamed Lewis for a pass which went out of play, and Paul for a foul on Morelos.

The way they're treated by too many on here is unfair and fairness is one of my values so I respond.

supermcginn
10-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Has always been average???

At best.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 07:38 PM
No idea where venting there splean comes from, been season ticket holder in famous five upper since it opened so have probably seen every home game as well as well a quite away games , cup ties both have played in. Never heard any personal abuse or booing of either, plenty of collective groans and for f### sakes when they have made a mistake but no different from any other player. Some people are over protective or very sensitive to certain players being criticised or people not rating them. Not sure if it because they know them personally. Have already stated both are rightly CUP winning legends but not when it comes to the league , how many 4th place finshes have we had with them being part of the defence and why do you think they have both been here for 10 years.

Venting the spleen was maybe the wrong expression, but it does seem that we need someone to criticise. It's been like that since Benny Brazil's days. Even in our fine side with Sauzee, Latapy and co, I remember hearing people screaming at Stuart Lovell for being "pish" etc. He was good for us.

JimBHibees
10-02-2020, 07:39 PM

Totally agree with that. Still excellent servants to the team. So many decent managers we have had seem to rate them much more than some fans do for some reason.

MWHIBBIES

:faf:

How am I supposed to compete when you just make things up. Give me a chance.

Paul Hanlon certainly isn't getting worse by the week, I suggest actually watching him. One of our best since the break.

tamig
I’m not sure I’d agree Lewis never been fit this season. Certainly a valid reason for taking some time to get up to speed.

However, he’s played every game since coming back, trained and even had winter break and training camp.

I think it’s stretching to say fitness has been an issue all season.
I honestly think he’s never looked 100% this season and I’m convinced it’s down to him having been rushed back in from injury.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 07:40 PM
At best.

No. At best he is a Scottish and league cup winner. Fact.

Since452
10-02-2020, 07:42 PM
Stevenson has always been a 6/7 out of 10 every week player. So consistent and injury free over the years it's been hard for anyone to shift him. He's on a natural decline now though along with Gray and McGregor so we need to be looking at replacing them. Happy enough with Porteous and Jackson but the LB position needs addressed. Hanlon is fine for me.

PISTOL1875
10-02-2020, 07:47 PM

Paul Hanlon certainly isn't getting worse by the week, I suggest actually watching him. One of our best since the break.

i do watch him , and when the ball goes anywhere near him , I get the actual fear..........

PH91
10-02-2020, 07:47 PM

It's a strange point you make, you note that they haven't done it "when it comes to the league". You also note that gray is up there with pat stanton but surely the same applies to him.

Football is a team game and the reason hanlon and stevenson havent had many 4th place finishes is because the team wasnt good enough. Granted they were part of that, however, the first season back in the prem under lennon showed that, with good players around them, both are more than capable of playing in a top 4 team. In fact, out of hanlon, stevenson and gray, gray was the one who couldnt get into the starting 11.

The above is not to say that their time isnt coming to an end, more so stevenson than hanlon imo, and that Hibs shouldnt be succession planning. But both still have plenty to offer.

Hibs90
10-02-2020, 07:48 PM

He's not making it up though, he was comfortably out muscled on a few occasions. It tends to happen at least a couple of times every game.

I have alot of admiration and time for Lewis and Paul, I think could probably get another season from Hanlon as a starter but Lewis has not hit the levels he can in terms of performance. Can never fault his effort or dedication to the cause but we need someone to take over either gradually or from the start. I thought that would have been Mackie but appears not.

Both are legends and always will be, and will always have a role at the club and the respect of the fans but the time is right, certainly in Lewis case.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 07:52 PM
He's not making it up though, he was comfortably out muscled on a few occasions. It tends to happen at least a couple of times every game.

I have alot of admiration and time for Lewis and Paul, I think could probably get another season from Hanlon as a starter but Lewis has not hit the levels he can in terms of performance. Can never fault his effort or dedication to the cause but we need someone to take over either gradually or from the start. I thought that would have been Mackie but appears not.

Both are legends and always will be, and will always have a role at the club and the respect of the fans but the time is right, certainly in Lewis case.

He was our only centre back, up against tall, strong strikers, in a mental gale. He was fighting a lone battle so he was always going to lose s few battles.

There isn't a centre half in the world who would have coped flawlessly in those circumstances.

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Stevenson can’t get a total free pass at a season because he was injured pre-season. He’s been average to rubbish all season and a massive part of a shambolic defence. In fact you could argue Hanlon and Lewis are the consistent part of the shambolic defence. Porto gets ripped for a lot less and people don’t want Efe back because he’s not match fit yet it’s okay for Stevenson to be poor all season because he didn’t have a full pre-season?

Maybe it’s time to accept both are no better than average for a team about 5th to 9th in the league bar the odd exception. If we want to move forward and be higher in the league we need better.

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 08:00 PM
I honestly think he’s never looked 100% this season and I’m convinced it’s down to him having been rushed back in from injury.

Should be dropped for James in that case. Unless he’s that pish he can’t play a few games including a match against a lowland team that we can’t afford to? If Stevenson was unfit why risk him in a match like yesterday and not rest him? It’s not as if for any reason we really needed him to play.

King Cosell
10-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Don't write off Sean Mackie.

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 08:01 PM
He was our only centre back, up against tall, strong strikers, in a mental gale. He was fighting a lone battle so he was always going to lose s few battles.

There isn't a centre half in the world who would have coped flawlessly in those circumstances.

To be fair to Lewis, he saved Hanlon two or three times when he got ripped off one of their players.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 08:03 PM
i do watch him , and when the ball goes anywhere near him , I get the actual fear..........

Do you really? Or is that made up as well? He probably touches the ball more than any player so you must go through plenty underpants at games.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 08:04 PM

Was he? He comfortably made the guy look like the part timer he was for 90 minutes. Strolled it.

brog
10-02-2020, 08:04 PM
I'm usually quick to seize upon posts about Lewis, in particular, and Paul which I think are unfair or imbalanced. Unfortunately there are far too many of them.

I believe that we need additions to the squad because we're not going to see much more if Darren McGregor other than when we're badly stretched by injury or suspension, and David Gray's days also look numbered.

Ironically however, those players, whilst not delivering even close to the standards we require, are not subjected to the same level of criticism which is often close to vitriol, that seems to accompany Lewis and Paul's every performance.

The fact that Paul scored for us against The Rangers didn't even register on this site. Instead people blamed Lewis for a pass which went out of play, and Paul for a foul on Morelos.

The way they're treated by too many on here is unfair and fairness is one of my values so I respond..

Great post & fwiw I didnt think PH's challenge on Morelos was a foul. If however PH hadn't shown such strength he would have been pilloried on here for being soft. He can't win. I do think Lewis is struggling this season but i put most of that down to a loss of confidence. Hopefully he doesn't come on here!

h1bs4life
10-02-2020, 08:05 PM
It's a strange point you make, you note that they haven't done it "when it comes to the league". You also note that gray is up there with pat stanton but surely the same applies to him.

Football is a team game and the reason hanlon and stevenson havent had many 4th place finishes is because the team wasnt good enough. Granted they were part of that, however, the first season back in the prem under lennon showed that, with good players around them, both are more than capable of playing in a top 4 team. In fact, out of hanlon, stevenson and gray, gray was the one who couldnt get into the starting 11.

The above is not to say that their time isnt coming to an end, more so stevenson than hanlon imo, and that Hibs shouldnt be succession planning. But both still have plenty to offer.

Not sure what the strange point is . Gray is up with Stanton as he was a tremendous Captain and leader who lead us to the Scottish Cup . He also signed for us when we were in the Championship. Hanlon and Stevenson were part of the team that got relegated although apparently it wasn't there fault it was the players around them. Its the same when the once we got 4th it was the great players they are with good players around them. Can you tell me what top 4 teams who would have them ? Can you tell me all the good managers who rated them who were not sacked cause the team was crap although not there fault obviously. I can only think of Stubbs, Collins left when we were in a downward spiral sure he played Stevenson centre half. Lennon was the same 1 4th place finish then lowlyleague position before he was mutually consented .

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 08:06 PM
Was he? He comfortably made the guy look like the part timer he was for 90 minutes. Strolled it.

He didn’t though, he got done by their forward three times and Lewis had to cover. We lost a poor goal, they had two other great chances. I admire your defence of Hanlon but he didn’t stroll it or wasn’t magnificent in Dundee.

PISTOL1875
10-02-2020, 08:09 PM
Do you really? Or is that made up as well? He probably touches the ball more than any player so you must go through plenty underpants at games.

No , I certainly don't make any of this up..

Hermit Crab
10-02-2020, 08:10 PM
He didn’t though, he got done by their forward three times and Lewis had to cover. We lost a poor goal, they had two other great chances. I admire your defence of Hanlon but he didn’t stroll it or wasn’t magnificent in Dundee.

The goal was Stevensons fault beaten far too easily, Hanlon was shakey when put under pressure, Stevenson also had a horrendous back pass that nearly cost us an equaliser as well. Can't blame that on the weather imo.

Torto7
10-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Lewis is still good for a while I'd say. I think we're struggling down the left side for any consistency in general. Horgan has been poor out there. Newell is wasted on the wing etc. Lewis hasn't really had much in front of him.

If we do get the chance we should upgrade the position though.

Harvie from Ayr seemed to be getting talked up earlier in the season. Can anyone name any other potential new LBs?

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 08:12 PM
The goal was Stevensons fault beaten far too easily, Hanlon was shakey when put under pressure, Stevenson also had a horrendous back pass that nearly cost us an equaliser as well. Can't blame that on the weather imo.

I don’t think we should have set up in a way Lewis is marking someone he would never reach. I agree with the rest though.

PH91
10-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Not sure what the strange point is . Gray is up with Stanton as he was a tremendous Captain and leader who lead us to the Scottish Cup . He also signed for us when we were in the Championship. Hanlon and Stevenson were part of the team that got relegated although apparently it wasn't there fault it was the players around them. Its the same when the once we got 4th it was the great players they are with good players around them. Can you tell me what top 4 teams who would have them ? Can you tell me all the good managers who rated them who were not sacked cause the team was crap although not there fault obviously. I can only think of Stubbs, Collins left when we were in a downward spiral sure he played Stevenson centre half. Lennon was the same 1 4th place finish then lowlyleague position before he was mutually consented .

You make a point about them not doing it in the league and i simply point out that neither has gray, although you hold him in much higher regard, even though both hanlon and stevenson played as much a part in the cup run.

B.H.F.C
10-02-2020, 08:14 PM

Think it’s harsh to blame Stevenson for the goal yesterday. Him picking up a 6ft plus centre half wasn’t exactly a fair fight.

Plenty valid reasons to have a moan about his performances. Don’t think that’s one.

greenpaper55
10-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Pick any left back from the SPL and they are better than we have at the moment.

Jack Hackett
10-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Don't write off Sean Mackie.

Just done a Wiki on Sean, and was surprised to find he's only had 16 appearances for the 1st team. I know his latest loan spell ended in injury, but does anyone have any updates on likely return?

He's 21 now. Time to start getting a return on our investment in him? I've been impressed with the little I've seen.

Hermit Crab
10-02-2020, 08:17 PM
Think it’s harsh to blame Stevenson for the goal yesterday. Him picking up a 6ft plus centre half wasn’t exactly a fair fight.

Plenty valid reasons to have a moan about his performances. Don’t think that’s one.

Agree, can't understand why that was the case, complete mismatch.

Torto7
10-02-2020, 08:22 PM
Just done a Wiki on Sean, and was surprised to find he's only had 16 appearances for the 1st team. I know his latest loan spell ended in injury, but does anyone have any updates on likely return?

He's 21 now. Time to start getting a return on our investment in him? I've been impressed with the little I've seen.

I've not. I'll be shocked if he makes it at Hibs. I hope I'm wrong but he looks ordinary to me, never a left back. Callum Booth was more talented and he's ended up at championship level.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 08:24 PM

Well the goal was nothing to do with Paul so that's not relevant. Defender had to cover another defender? I'd hate to hear what you think of Gray and McGregor, even in their primes, if another defender having to occasionally cover is such a huge issue.

Hanlon strolled it in horrendous conditions to play centre back. He's back in good form and is our best central defender.

h1bs4life
10-02-2020, 08:25 PM
Agree, can't understand why that was the case, complete mismatch.

Stevenson is an experienced player , at any level of football the defence talks amongst themselves and try to pass on / mark players similar height.

Gmack7
10-02-2020, 08:27 PM
Pick any left back from the SPL and they are better than we have at the moment.

no chance

brog
10-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Well the goal was nothing to do with Paul so that's not relevant. Defender had to cover another defender? I'd hate to hear what you think of Gray and McGregor, even in their primes, if another defender having to occasionally cover is such a huge issue.

Hanlon strolled it in horrendous conditions to play centre back. He's back in good form and is our best central defender.

There's also no mention of the 2 magnificent Cropleyesque, crossfield balls PH hit in horrendous conditions yesterday. One to Boyle in 1st half & the 2nd to Murray resulted in Gullan's shot on goal.

matty_f
10-02-2020, 08:38 PM

I would have loved to have been as average as Lewis Stevenson.

A Scottish Cup, a League Cup, Scotland cap and however many hundred appearances for a football club I love dearly.

**** knows what he'd have achieved if he was good.

Tyler Durden
10-02-2020, 08:44 PM
Hibs need a new left back. It’s probably been 6 or 7 years since we signed genuine quality (at our level) in a summer window to compete properly with Lewis. If we sign quality and Lewis keeps them out the team, that’s great. The current situation is unsustainable.

Maybe people could comment around possible LB targets rather than regurgitate the same tired debates about Hanlon and Stevenson

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 08:44 PM

The goal was a collective defensive shambles against part timers.
If you think losing his man on the ground three times in a game against part timers is strolling it fair enough. He also lost his man for their goal on Saturday.

supermcginn
10-02-2020, 08:54 PM

A Scottish Cup, a League Cup, Scotland cap and however many hundred appearances for a football club I love dearly.

He would have got a move to a bigger club like all our past quality players did.

PISTOL1875
10-02-2020, 08:55 PM

He would've played at a higher level for a kick off. He wouldn't have kicked about playing dross like Dumbarton and Alloa for 3 seasons... He would've maybe earned more than one Scotland call up perhaps ?

Lets be honest , winning 1 Scottish Cup , 1 league Cup and many a hundred game for Hibs isn't exactly anything to shout about in the big wide world of football is it ?? If he was any good , he would've been long gone many a year ago............

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2020, 09:01 PM
He would've played at a higher level for a kick off. He wouldn't have kicked about playing dross like Dumbarton and Alloa for 3 seasons... He would've maybe earned more than one Scotland call up perhaps ?

Lets be honest , winning 1 Scottish Cup , 1 league Cup and many a hundred game for Hibs isn't exactly anything to shout about in the big wide world of football is it ?? If he was any good , he would've been long gone many a year ago............
He was and is good. That's why he has won those major honours. Winning those things is everything to shout about. Ridiculous thing to say if you're actually a Hibs fan. I mean seriously.

He is a legend at a big Scottish football club, adored by thousands. Strange you seem so desperate to crush his legacy. You never will.

Jones28
10-02-2020, 09:09 PM

2 major honours for a team outside of Glasgow ain’t exactly as ***** as you’re suggesting.

Nor is outlasting numerous managers - the only one who tried to bin him for someone else got us relegated.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting LS is a world beater, but your deriding a guy who has given his all for the club.

FWIW I think we will see someone else come in next season to add competition to the role and our back 4 will look very different (McGinn/Jackson/Porteous/A N OTHER would be my guess) because we need something else. Our loss of goals has been chronic - how many clean sheets have we had this season? - and has basically scuppered any hope of European football.

Northernhibee
10-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Christ, this utterly pish argument again.

Considering that the likes of Pat Stanton and Eddie Turnbull made more appearances and failed to win both cups, are they pish too?

PISTOL1875
10-02-2020, 09:10 PM
He was and is good. That's why he has won those major honours. Winning those things is everything to shout about. Ridiculous thing to say if you're actually a Hibs fan. I mean seriously.

He is a legend at a big Scottish football club, adored by thousands. Strange you seem so desperate to crush his legacy. You never will.

In any job , don't you want to improve and work your way up the ladder and in footballing terms , bigger clubs ??????

PISTOL1875
10-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Christ, this utterly pish argument again.

Considering that the likes of Pat Stanton and Eddie Turnbull made more appearances and failed to win both cups, are they pish too?

Eddie Turnball won 3 leagues as a player with Hibs a far better achievement to what Stevenson has won.. ...

The 90+2
10-02-2020, 09:16 PM

I would call it a ****ing great career for any laddie in Scotland wanting to be a professional footballer. There’s some exceptional players that go higher of course but for a player growing up in fife to win two cups and make a living out the game you are being well harsh.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2020, 09:25 PM

Oooooh ya cow!

Iggy Pope
10-02-2020, 09:29 PM

You’re not shouting in the big world of football though are you? ****s sake are you wanting man?

hibee-boys
10-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Any up and coming young left backs at other clubs worth going after?

PH91
10-02-2020, 09:35 PM
Any up and coming young left backs at other clubs worth going after?

Hickey

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 09:41 PM
Stevenson is an experienced player , at any level of football the defence talks amongst themselves and try to pass on / mark players similar height.

There weren't any.

The wind blew the ball over and on top of Stevenson who had to run backwards as a result while the taller opponent was running forward.

Can you imagine running backwards and trying to jump to challenge an onrushing player even the same height as you?

Potty78
10-02-2020, 09:44 PM

Second half? Sure it was McGinn as it came from the right fullback position.

MacGruber
10-02-2020, 09:55 PM
Second half? Sure it was McGinn as it came from the right fullback position.

If it is the one I'm thinking of it was a slack back pass by Stevenson to Hanlon followed by another from Hanlon to Rocky which held up and Rocy got charged down it went wide. Sum total is the conditions were terrible on that plastic pitch but we won the game so dosen't really matter

CMurdoch
10-02-2020, 10:38 PM
The irrefutable fact about Stevenson is that despite his shortcomings he has put all comers for his position to the sword with Sean Mackie the latest victim. Season after season, manager after manager and he is still the left back of choice. This has not come about through sentiment. He has simply been in the opinions of the professionals in charge of him the best man for the job.

He found his level at Hibs and has fought hammer and nail to stay here.
He has made himself the best version of himself that he can be. You can't do better than that.

Personally I think he is a very good defender that is very limited going forward. He has played as well and as averagely as ever this season. I think he has another season as number one and that will bring him nicely to the end of his contract.
He has been massive value for the cash spent on his wages.

DstN75
10-02-2020, 10:42 PM

Have you really stopped to consider the implications of the notion that the only good players to play for hibs are the ones that leave us?

Iggy Pope
10-02-2020, 10:50 PM
The irrefutable fact about Stevenson is that despite his shortcomings he has put all comers for his position to the sword with Sean Mackie the latest victim. Season after season, manager after manager and he is still the left back of choice. This has not come about through sentiment. He has simply been in the opinions of the professionals in charge of him the best man for the job.

He found his level at Hibs and has fought hammer and nail to stay here.
He has made himself the best version of himself that he can be. You can't do better than that.

Personally I think he is a very good defender that is very limited going forward. He has played as well and as averagely as ever this season. I think he has another season as number one and that will bring him nicely to the end of his contract.
He has been massive value for the cash spent on his wages.

There was a bit of interest a few years back mind you. Maybe Stewart McCall at the Huns or Motherwell? Can’t recall. Lucky for us, he chose to stick at it with a club he clearly loves, he kept punching above his weight and became part of the embodiment of the side, a great side. Two ****ing cup winning sides with Brasso and that. Unlike soulless crap like Willie Miller, Darren Dods and those that jumped our sinking ship of the times to take the shiny shilling elsewhere. If we cannot name a stand after him then time we start thinking about naming staircases, entrances, or pie stands after the wee man. I ****ing adore him.

DstN75
10-02-2020, 10:53 PM
There was a bit of interest a few years back mind you. Maybe Stewart McCall at the Huns or Motherwell? Can’t recall. Lucky for us, he chose to stick at it with a club he clearly loves, he kept punching above his weight and became part of the embodiment of the side, a great side. Two ****ing cup winning sides with Brasso and that. Unlike soulless crap like Willie Miller, Darren Dods and those that jumped our sinking ship of the times to take the shiny shilling elsewhere. If we cannot name a stand after him then time we start thinking about naming staircases, entrances, or pie stands after the wee man. I ****ing adore him.

Preach.

If every hibs player conducted themselves as he does then we'd be challenging for top three every year.

EAZY-ME
10-02-2020, 11:11 PM
When Lewis does go this site will be littered with threads claiming we need a left back in the Lewis Stevenson mould

Unseen work
10-02-2020, 11:28 PM
Stephen Kingsley and Luke Leahy both out of contract in the summer, both would be very good additions.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2020, 11:32 PM
Stephen Kingsley and Luke Leahy both out of contract in the summer, both would be very good additions.

I’m not hipster on this, but why would either be any good, what’ve they done. Just a wee bit insight?

Unseen work
10-02-2020, 11:39 PM
I’m not hipster on this, but why would either be any good, what’ve they done. Just a wee bit insight?

Just imo mate from what iv seen of both of them.

Kingsley might be a bit out of our price range but has suffered quite a bit with injuries so you never know. Scottish lad who is comfy on the ball and solid defensively.

Leahy always really impressed me when he was playing for Falkirk at the same time we were in the championship. Very attacking with a terrific left foot and someone I could see our fans taking to straight away.

Baader
10-02-2020, 11:42 PM

Any other Hibs greats you want to get the boots stuck into? Do you prefer guys like Didier Agathe who use Hibs as a stepping stone because they're pretty good. Stevenson has won more than many a Hibs legend and never let this club down. Show some respect.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2020, 11:48 PM
Just imo mate from what iv seen of both of them.

Kingsley might be a bit out of our price range but has suffered quite a bit with injuries so you never know. Scottish lad who is comfy on the ball and solid defensively.

Leahy always really impressed me when he was playing for Falkirk at the same time we were in the championship. Very attacking with a terrific left foot and someone I could see our fans taking to straight away.

Was Leahy the fellah that got the equaliser in the play off game? I think he has a lucky left foot if it’s him. Where is he playing now? Kingsley I’ve never heard of.

Stantons Angel
11-02-2020, 01:02 AM
Well arent there a whole lot of new critics suddenly appearing on this board.

Are you all vying for Micheal Stewarts position on Sportscene?

everyone is entitled to their own opinion including me. Whilst i have to admit this has not been Lewis's best season he still wears a green and white jersey with pride and never loses his passion for the team or the club.

You can reel off as many players who have been going to "take the jersey" from him and he has seen them all off. It just shows that some on here cannot remember who had the jersey before him. If it was David Murphy then that was a long time ago and good on Lewis he has done enough to keep it his.

Some of you think he is not good enough for the team we support yet all the previous managers have played him in that position and have spoken highly of him.Whether they have been sacked or not has nothing to do with it at all!

Sunday's game was horrendous and yes the weather did play its part, but again you can say that it is then an equal game for both teams.

Lewis was left with the towering player to mark at that corner and was bundled over by him on the goal line. Where were our taller players that left this guy unmarked for Lewis to attend to. Surely they too could see the total mismatch in height and weight.

He skidded the ball across field and it was held up in the wind causing a panic in the defence as well as in the supporters. Twice he was put in trouble with a bad pass from defence with no assistance from anyone in front of him. Hanlon too felt the pressure with the weather and that awful plastic pitch. When have Hibs ever played well on one? NEVER!

Yes its is a team game and over the last 4 or 5 games Allan has consistently lost the ball by hanging on to it instead of finding a player free. Or passing straight to an opposing player quite a few times in a game. Where are the pages of complaints about his work rate combined with this? i havent seen much said by you experts about him. everyone knows he has great ability and vision but the last few games he too has been below par. Even Rocky has been guilty of fumbling crosses when coming out for the ball

Our defence may be getting on in years some have already reached pension age. There will come a time when they too must make way for younger better players but they are still to show themselves?

Mackie had a chance to show what he could do when Lewis was out injured at the start of the season but didnt exactly set the heather on fire. Then an injury put paid to his chances again.

whilst im sure the new siginings will settle in quite quickly and with the wee fellow in the middle we should be ok to see off a few of the teams around us.

What i have been trying to point out is that there are other members of our team playing below their best at the moment. I hate picking on one player for all our failings. This is why i have tried to show some of you, that being a team game, others in the team are also having difficulty performing to their best.

This is an important part of the season and the team and club needs our support throughout !

Doidge came in for a lot when he wasnt scoring but now he is a "player" as is Newall who has been taken off and had to take the flack for a few bad showings.

Stantons Angel
11-02-2020, 01:03 AM

everyone is entitled to their own opinion including me. Whilst i have to admit this has not been Lewis's best season he still wears a green and white jersey with pride and never loses his passion for the team or the club.

You can reel off as many players who have been going to "take the jersey" from him and he has seen them all off. It just shows that some on here cannot remember who had the jersey before him. If it was David Murphy then that was a long time ago and good on Lewis he has done enough to keep it his.

Some of you think he is not good enough for the team we support yet all the previous managers have played him in that position and have spoken highly of him.Whether they have been sacked or not has nothing to do with it at all!

Sunday's game was horrendous and yes the weather did play its part, but again you can say that it is then an equal game for both teams.

Lewis was left with the towering player to mark at that corner and was bundled over by him on the goal line. Where were our taller players that left this guy unmarked for Lewis to attend to. Surely they too could see the total mismatch in height and weight.

He skidded the ball across field and it was held up in the wind causing a panic in the defence as well as in the supporters. Twice he was put in trouble with a bad pass from defence with no assistance from anyone in front of him. Hanlon too felt the pressure with the weather and that awful plastic pitch. When have Hibs ever played well on one? NEVER!

Yes its is a team game and over the last 4 or 5 games Allan has consistently lost the ball by hanging on to it instead of finding a player free. Or passing straight to an opposing player quite a few times in a game. Where are the pages of complaints about his work rate combined with this? i havent seen much said by you experts about him. everyone knows he has great ability and vision but the last few games he too has been below par. Even Rocky has been guilty of fumbling crosses when coming out for the ball

Our defence may be getting on in years some have already reached pension age. There will come a time when they too must make way for younger better players but they are still to show themselves?

Mackie had a chance to show what he could do when Lewis was out injured at the start of the season but didnt exactly set the heather on fire. Then an injury put paid to his chances again.

whilst im sure the new siginings will settle in quite quickly and with the wee fellow in the middle we should be ok to see off a few of the teams around us.

What i have been trying to point out is that there are other members of our team playing below their best at the moment. I hate picking on one player for all our failings. This is why i have tried to show some of you, that being a team game, others in the team are also having difficulty performing to their best.

This is an important part of the season and the team and club needs our support throughout !

cameronw-hfc
11-02-2020, 01:55 AM
I love lewis and whilst I agree we need a new left back, i also see lewis upping his game and keeping whoever we bring in out the team

Forza Fred
11-02-2020, 03:18 AM
Eckersley. Think he was, but think he was injured the whole time.

Miquel Nelom as well, now playing for Willem II.

Eckersley remains the most questionable signing in my memory.

He was injured when we signed him, and he remained injured until his contract expired after 6 months.

Surely, our medical staff could have picked up on his condition...assuming he had a medical that is.

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2020, 04:16 AM
Eckersley remains the most questionable signing in my memory.

He was injured when we signed him, and he remained injured until his contract expired after 6 months.

Surely, our medical staff could have picked up on his condition...assuming he had a medical that is.

They did, he was not injured the whole time. He made the bench a couple times and definitely wasn't here for 6 months. More like 3 months.

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2020, 05:08 AM

Cannae argue with any of that!

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2020, 05:09 AM
Paul Lovering tenacious aggressive always gave 100%

Aldo
11-02-2020, 07:42 AM

I think you are being totally disrespectful to Lewis here. He may have fallen below his usually standards on occasion however you must surely recognise the contribution he has given to this club?

1 Scottish Cup and 1 League Cup and played Just shy of 500 games for 1 team yet you dis it.

Hundreds maybe even thousands of players would be more than delighted with that.

Poor post imho

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 08:00 AM
Eddie Turnball won 3 leagues as a player with Hibs a far better achievement to what Stevenson has won.. ...

Well if he was that good he would have gone to a bigger club. He must be pish.

By the way, that’s entirely your logic, not mine.

hibee-boys
11-02-2020, 08:18 AM
Yeah....left back in the changing room hopefully. Sorry, old one's are the best🙈

Barman Stanton
11-02-2020, 08:18 AM

For a team that has only won 6 cups in our whole history, you would think Lewis would at least get shown a bit of respect for winning 2 of them.

Damn this thread is depressing. Most miserable and hard to please support in Scotland!

SquashedFrogg
11-02-2020, 08:24 AM
Yeah....left back in the changing room hopefully. Sorry, old one's are the best🙈

That's nothing. Ross pulled SDG off at half-time during the St Mirren game... I think they'd call it getting Jack'd off in the states.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2020, 08:34 AM

Brilliant sentiments.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2020, 08:34 AM
When Lewis does go this site will be littered with threads claiming we need a left back in the Lewis Stevenson mould

Without a doubt.

angus hibby
11-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Can't believe the criticism Hanlon & Stevenson get. I'm glad they both play for us and are likely to for another few seasons at least. Both are very good players and reliable. Outwith Celtic and Rangers, is there really a better LB in the league? Every time we play Celtic, how much of an impact does Forrest have?

Barman Stanton
11-02-2020, 08:42 AM
Can't believe the criticism Hanlon & Stevenson get. I'm glad they both play for us and are likely to for another few seasons at least. Both are very good players and reliable. Outwith Celtic and Rangers, is there really a better LB in the league? Every time we play Celtic, how much of an impact does Forrest have?

Apparently every single team in the league has a better left back than us. I get some people like to be critical but this thread is a real eye opener into the mentality of some of our support.

Ray_
11-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Sunday hasn't been the first time recently that a tall powerful player has pinned the left back, Lewis is getting targeted during games and the Hibs players and coaching staff should be doing far more during game time to stop this happening, in this respect we are made to look woefully naive. It happens so regular that by now we should already have taken steps before getting on the pitch.

Brooster
11-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Sunday hasn't been the first time recently that a tall powerful player has pinned the left back, Lewis is getting targeted during games and the Hibs players and coaching staff should be doing far more during game time to stop this happening, in this respect we are made to look woefully naive. It happens so regular that by now we should already have taken steps before getting on the pitch.

Spot on. We are so weak at LB now that teams are targeting that area (with great success). New LB needed now. I'm happy with Hanlon's game at the moment.

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2020, 09:18 AM
Spot on. We are so weak at LB now that teams are targeting that area (with great success). New LB needed now. I'm happy with Hanlon's game at the moment.

Are they actually targeting with the great success? St Mirren certainly didn't. Dundee United didn't. Motherwell didn't.

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 09:20 AM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if they do not agree with you they are vying for Micheal Stewarts position on Sportscene and are an expert
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure in the logic of whether manager has been sacked or not its nothing to do with it all.
They were part of the defence that got a manager sacked for his team being crap or probably according to you it was everyone else's fault.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stevenson is now supposed to be an experienced defender , even at Amateur level , the defence / captain / rest of the people back shout and talk amongst themselves to sort it out , pass men on .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who mentioned not supporting the team ? Including supporting Hanlon / Stevenson , can't see anywhere someone mentioning booing
them . One poster mentioned Stevenson achievements which I certainly do not agree with. Both players are living legends and will deservedly go down in history as part of the cup winning team. Both came across as decent guys on the cup winning DVD.

I take it you know them personally ?
Are you related to either of them ?
Everytime there is a thread about either player you come on with a big long post of how good they are and it is never there fault its other players fault, other players have not been performing as well to , your like a protective parent.
People have a different opinion than you and think if we are serious about finishing 3rd / 4th they should be replaced as they have been part of a poor defence over several years.

Brooster
Are they actually targeting with the great success? St Mirren certainly didn't. Dundee United didn't. Motherwell didn't.

Take a day off. Are you seriously saying Lewis Stevenson's performances this season have been anything more than very poor?

The Modfather

The current version of Stevenson is nowhere near the best in his position outwith the Old Firm in the league. I’d find it hard to make a case for any player being in that bracket based on this season. That’s as over the top as some of the criticism on this thread IMO.

Collectively, there isn’t a top 4 defence that can be made from any combination of Stevenson, Hanlon, McGregor, Jackson, Porteous, Gray & McGinn IMO. Stevenson & Hanlon have been the only real constants in our defensive struggles the last two seasons. They clearly aren’t the root cause, but by the same token I see them as part of the problem as much as anyone else.

Paisley Hibby
11-02-2020, 09:23 AM

I'm guessing you crave attention and have discovered that posting rubbish like that will get you lots of it. Have a word with yourself.

Brightside
11-02-2020, 09:36 AM
Take a day off. Are you seriously saying Lewis Stevenson's performances this season have been anything more than very poor?

I am. Very Poor? Seriously? He a constant, steady LB. Better in defence than attack these days but still a first pick and still managers arent busting a gut to get new LBs in. I think those coaches know more than the posters on here. :wink:

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 09:46 AM

We have tried to replace them over the last eleven or twelve years. Not one player has been able to dislodge them. If it was that easy to do so then players like Nelom - who has experience in the Dutch top flight - didn’t get a sniff of establishing a first team place. If it was that easy any number of those either drafted in or from our youth setup would have replaced them by now. We don’t sign players in the hope they won’t be as good as what we have, we sign players as they are the best option available and not once have we found someone better suited to the team than Hanlon or Stevenson.

It’s the same every game now - we get caught out in the attack and leave our back four without protection and the same suspects come on and whine about Stevenson and Hanlon irrelevant of how little they were to blame for the imbalances in our squad. It’s tiresome and those on the board who know what’s going on are rightfully protecting two of the greatest ever servants to our club from the pitchforks and twitter brigade.

JimboHibs
11-02-2020, 09:57 AM
We have tried to replace them over the last eleven or twelve years. Not one player has been able to dislodge them. If it was that easy to do so then players like Nelom - who has experience in the Dutch top flight - didn’t get a sniff of establishing a first team place. If it was that easy any number of those either drafted in or from our youth setup would have replaced them by now. We don’t sign players in the hope they won’t be as good as what we have, we sign players as they are the best option available and not once have we found someone better suited to the team than Hanlon or Stevenson.

It’s the same every game now - we get caught out in the attack and leave our back four without protection and the same suspects come on and whine about Stevenson and Hanlon irrelevant of how little they were to blame for the imbalances in our squad. It’s tiresome and those on the board who know what’s going on are rightfully protecting two of the greatest ever servants to our club from the pitchforks and twitter brigade.

Those on the board who know whats going on ?

What does that mean ? If you dont know whats going on your thoughts or opinions are irrelevant.

Brightside
11-02-2020, 10:00 AM

What does that mean ? If you dont know whats going on your thoughts or opinions are irrelevant.

Yes. :greengrin

JimboHibs
11-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Yes. :greengrin

😃💚

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 10:06 AM

There is an ever growing amount of posters on here that could only be described as “the twitter brigade” who apparently don’t know much and aren’t shy on being vocal about it. I don’t subscribe to the opinion that one opinion is worth what the next is worth - if you were to put a climate expert and a flat earther together then ones opinion is clearly more valuable than the other.

The “if Stevenson was good he would have moved on by now” brigade can never answer the key flaw in their argument - if he’s not up to our standard then why have successive managers and the club seen fit to renew his co tract time after time - and until they can I don’t put any value in the point they make.

Happy to trust both Lewis and the manager as to when he’s no longer to play at top flight level.

Tyler Durden
11-02-2020, 10:15 AM

I get your wider point but the part re protection for the back 4 hasn’t been so relevant post the break. Recently we’ve lost goals from set pieces (Hanlon culpable for several) and also from the full back areas where nobody has really been covering themselves in glory.

Lewis simply isn’t playing to his usual solid standards this season.

Motherwell signed a LB from Cambridge this year who looks the part. Aberdeen have done well in the loan market in recent years for LBs. St Mirren currently have a boy on loan from Killie who looks a prospect. Hibs need to go invest in a quality LB this summer.

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 10:22 AM
I get your wider point but the part re protection for the back 4 hasn’t been so relevant post the break. Recently we’ve lost goals from set pieces (Hanlon culpable for several) and also from the full back areas where nobody has really been covering themselves in glory.

Lewis simply isn’t playing to his usual solid standards this season.

Motherwell signed a LB from Cambridge this year who looks the part. Aberdeen have done well in the loan market in recent years for LBs. St Mirren currently have a boy on loan from Killie who looks a prospect. Hibs need to go invest in a quality LB this summer.

Truly I think that we need a more dynamic left midfielder/winger. Boyle is far better at tracking back and has indeed played RWB on a few occasions which gives him that positional ability. It also allows our RB to overlap knowing Boyle can cover.

Horgan doesn’t have the same athletic ability which has hampered Lewis’ ability to get forward and supply a good option for a pass like he traditionally has done.

The Modfather
11-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Truly I think that we need a more dynamic left midfielder/winger. Boyle is far better at tracking back and has indeed played RWB on a few occasions which gives him that positional ability. It also allows our RB to overlap knowing Boyle can cover.

Horgan doesn’t have the same athletic ability which has hampered Lewis’ ability to get forward and supply a good option for a pass like he traditionally has done.

It’s a fair point about Stevenson having Horgan in front of him. However if we are to acknowledge the lack of protection he gets their is a flip side to that. Other than as a willing off the ball runner, Stevenson offers very little in terms of attacking quality in the final 3rd. It’s never been the strongest part of his game, but I think he has really regressed in an attacking sense the last 12 months or so IMO.

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 10:35 AM

Who is this pitchfork and twitter brigade .
Its the same suspects that come on and defend Hanlon and Stevenson no matter what.
One poster saying Docherty was crap but Hanlon strolled the game on Sunday.
There goal wasn't Stevenson's fault cos a big bad centre half decided to position himself beside him.
Your last paragraph not there fault because of an imbalance in the squad.
Previous poster at least coaches know what they are doing. Can you tell me all the coaches they have played under that have never been sacked or mutually consented because there teams have been crap and when the coaches have went on to better things they have tried to sign either.
How many top 4 finishes have we had since they became stalwarts in defence.
They could walk in to most teams in the league? If they are that good how many Scotland caps do they have between them ?
How many teams have tried to sign either in the time they have been here and why do you think they have been here so long.
Have already acknowledged they will be deservedly known as Scottish Cup winning legends. My own thoughts and probably some other posters think they should have been replaced few years ago.
Be interested to here your reply's without getting personal and going off on one , its not personal with Stevenson and Hanlon just think they have been here to long and have been part of the defensive problems that we have had over the years.

supermcginn
11-02-2020, 10:38 AM
Its the same suspects that come on and defend Hanlon and Stevenson no matter what.
There goal wasn't Stevenson's fault cos a big bad centre half decided to position himself beside him.
Previous poster at least coaches know what they are doing. Can you tell me all the coaches they have played under that have never been sacked or mutually consented because there teams have been crap and when the coaches have went on to better things they have tried to sign either.
They could walk in to most teams in the league? If they are that good how many Scotland caps do they have between them ?
How many teams have tried to sign either in the time they have been here and why do you think they have been here so long.
Have already acknowledged they will be deservedly known as Scottish Cup winning legends. My own thoughts and probably some other posters think they should have been replaced few years ago.
Be interested to here your reply's without getting personal and going off on one , its not personal with Stevenson and Hanlon just think they have been here to long and have been part of the defensive problems that we have had over the years.
Great post :aok:

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 10:42 AM

How many cups and leagues have we won since they became stalwarts in our defence?

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2020, 10:43 AM
When Stevenson first came in, he was a young boy and looked decent. We all wanted him to be a success, but for me after a good start he was average for a number of years.

He drifted in and out of the team then made left back his position. He was in my opinion still very average in that position, but he improved beyond what i thought he could, so much so he became one of my favorite ever players.

He's always suffered when going forward, he's best as a full back who defends first, but the game has changed and we need more from full backs, and maybe age is catching up now as even though he still has the game sometimes to defend really well against a Forrest of celtic or someone the huns play wide right.

In the normal run of the mill games, i think he's starting to struggle with defending and having to do more as an offensive option too.

Still a legend, but maybe the end of a legend at the club as a regular?

JeMeSouviens
11-02-2020, 10:46 AM
I think Lewis Stevenson is *exactly* our level. Consistently good enough to get into our team, consistently not good enough to get a move to a higher paying club.

Fwiw, I think Paul McGinn might prove to be the same.

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 10:49 AM
It’s a fair point about Stevenson having Horgan in front of him. However if we are to acknowledge the lack of protection he gets their is a flip side to that. Other than as a willing off the ball runner, Stevenson offers very little in terms of attacking quality in the final 3rd. It’s never been the strongest part of his game, but I think he has really regressed in an attacking sense the last 12 months or so IMO.

There is definitely a hesitancy in Lewis in an attacking sense but it’s a bit chicken and egg. It also doesn’t help that we lost both Bartley and Milligan who could drop in between our two CBs during an attack and allow our full backs to push forward more. Even Naismith, Gray, James and McGinn have not stolen the spotlight as such but they at least have a more dynamic right winger to assist them.

He’s not been as good as in recent seasons but not nearly as bad as the twitter mob would have you believe. We need to sort out the wide attacking areas

B.H.F.C
11-02-2020, 10:57 AM
When Stevenson first came in, he was a young boy and looked decent. We all wanted him to be a success, but for me after a good start he was average for a number of years.

He drifted in and out of the team then made left back his position. He was in my opinion still very average in that position, but he improved beyond what i thought he could, so much so he became one of my favorite ever players.

He's always suffered when going forward, he's best as a full back who defends first, but the game has changed and we need more from full backs, and maybe age is catching up now as even though he still has the game sometimes to defend really well against a Forrest of celtic or someone the huns play wide right.

In the normal run of the mill games, i think he's starting to struggle with defending and having to do more as an offensive option too.

A fair post which on Stevenson which makes a change. It’s usually one end of the scale or the other.

In the second half of the 17-18 season he played to a level he never did before and I doubt he will again. I know he was playing wing back as opposed to full back but his all round game was the best it’s ever been.

It’s quite a simplistic way of looking at it but for most of this season he has been a mainstay in a struggling defence whilst he’s contributing little to nothing in an attacking sense. As a first name on the team sheet, his days have to be numbered IMO.

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 11:05 AM
How many cups and leagues have we won since they became stalwarts in our defence?

1 Scottish Cup which I will be forever grateful to both them for there contribution , it gave me one of the best days of my life and to be there with my dad and father-in-law both in eighties who never thought they would see was unbeliveable. I was getting to the stage where I thought
I thought I would never see it.
Its not personal I would have gladly gave anything just to pull the green jersey on once sadly all I managed was to take part in the Evening News halftime penalty shout , running out the tunnel and kicking the ball into an empty net in front off an empty Dunbar End.

1 Scottish League Cup for Stevenson.

You can count the Championship as a league I don't count them as our club should never be there

You want to answer all my questions ?

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 11:18 AM
You want to answer all my questions ?

Not really as I have better things to do, they’re largely non-sensical and we will just come to the agreement at the end that you’ll stick to your opinion and I’ll stick to the facts.

How can you use international caps as a measure when Scotland had arguably the best LB in the world and also another who plays for Arsenal? Do you know how selective and weak an argument that sounds?

J-C
11-02-2020, 11:43 AM
A fair post which on Stevenson which makes a change. It’s usually one end of the scale or the other.

In the second half of the 17-18 season he played to a level he never did before and I doubt he will again. I know he was playing wing back as opposed to full back but his all round game was the best it’s ever been.

It’s quite a simplistic way of looking at it but for most of this season he has been a mainstay in a struggling defence whilst he’s contributing little to nothing in an attacking sense. As a first name on the team sheet, his days have to be numbered IMO.

His upturn in form at wingback was due to Lennon finding a wee magic formula with 3 at the back and also having McGinn play on the left of that midfield, it took a lot of pressure off him defensively as Hanlon played on the left of the back 3, so in essence we were very strong down the left hand side of the team, similarly we had Efe and Boyle(wingback), so the balance in the team was very good.

Basically if you ask Stevenson to defend he will, ask to attack he will but he does struggle to do both, maybe a return to a back 3 may help him and us a team, I've noticed Celtic have gone to this formation just to get the 2 strikers on and keep the 3 in the middle.

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Did my facts get to you a bit there? You're the one needing to take a day off. Or a fortnight.

JeMeSouviens
11-02-2020, 12:01 PM
His upturn in form at wingback was due to Lennon finding a wee magic formula with 3 at the back and also having McGinn play on the left of that midfield, it took a lot of pressure off him defensively as Hanlon played on the left of the back 3, so in essence we were very strong down the left hand side of the team, similarly we had Efe and Boyle(wingback), so the balance in the team was very good.

Basically if you ask Stevenson to defend he will, ask to attack he will but he does struggle to do both, maybe a return to a back 3 may help him and us a team, I've noticed Celtic have gone to this formation just to get the 2 strikers on and keep the 3 in the middle.

o/t - it will be interesting to see if Sevco can deal with this. They've had a lot of joy basically by getting an extra body in the midfield.

greenpaper55
11-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Agree with everything you have said. There was a manager who stated "you get rid of players after so many years or they get rid of you " and i think this is true, players stagnate and often fans see them as irreplaceable when in fact it is best for both parties when they move on.

The 90+2
11-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Not really as I have better things to do, they’re largely non-sensical and we will just come to the agreement at the end that you’ll stick to your opinion and I’ll stick to the facts.

How can you use international caps as a measure when Scotland had arguably the best LB in the world and also another who plays for Arsenal? Do you know how selective and weak an argument that sounds?

:faf::faf:

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2020, 12:49 PM

Alan Stubbs won the Scottish Cup utilising his 3-5-2 Masterclass using
SDG and Lewis as wing backs

Worked a treat ��

https://youtu.be/8Fc9ned9b6Q

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Worked a treat ��

The versatility of our squad also helped us that day as we changed from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield and we had players talented enough to change their roles at the drop of a hat.

B.H.F.C
11-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Worked a treat ��

No really. We were losing 2-1, switched to the diamond and won 3-2!

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2020, 01:13 PM
No really. We were losing 2-1, switched to the diamond and won 3-2!

I get that but he does not mention that in his Masterclass video

The formation on his wee blackboard remains at 3-5-2

At the time I was conscious of the formation changing when we brought on Keatings and Hendo and we were more on the front foot and The Rangers were praying for the final whistle

Stubbsy puts it more down to our rehearsed set up at set pieces

Brooster
11-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Did my facts get to you a bit there? You're the one needing to take a day off. Or a fortnight.

Serious question....do you think Lewis Stevenson is having a good season?

Stantons Angel
11-02-2020, 03:14 PM

so you can draw a line with wee dots?

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if they do not agree with you they are vying for Micheal Stewarts position on Sportscene and are an expert"

Its not the fact that they are not agreeing with me at all, there just seemed to be so many on Lewis's back it looked as if they themselves considered themseles experts.

You wont get everyone agreeing with what you post. thats what this board is for to get opinions out there. Some though think they know it all though.Yo

"Not sure in the logic of whether manager has been sacked or not its nothing to do with it all.
They were part of the defence that got a manager sacked for his team being crap or probably according to you it was everyone else's fault"

It was mentioned that all the managers who played Lewis had got sacked with him playing in the team. I never ever said that it was ever everyone else's fault either.

To explain again, i was trying to point out that Lewis once again was being made a scapegoat but nothing was being said about the other under performers in the team.
Take it from me there are a few of them at the moment too
You have to remember too that we started the season without the best midfield in Scottish football the the previous season before. Our midfield the first half of this season was awful.
The cover they afforded the defence previously had all but disappeared along with the supply of the ball to the forward line and collectively we were languishing down the bottom of the league with Hearts.

"Who mentioned not supporting the team ? Including supporting Hanlon / Stevenson , can't see anywhere someone mentioning booing
them . One poster mentioned Stevenson achievements which I certainly do not agree with. Both players are living legends and will deservedly go down in history as part of the cup winning team. Both came across as decent guys on the cup winning DVD."

Eh, i think it was you who is mentioning supporting the team not me. I added a closing sentence that we had a big game tomorrow and to keep supporting the team as they needed it. How can you be supporting Hanlon and Stevenson if they are being continually criticised and believe me they were booed when passes went astray or crosses did not reach their intended destination.

im sorry but i dont know what achievement Lewis has gained you dont agree with, or is it the comment of the other poster you are not agreeing with?
Both players have been great servants to the club and no one can deny that or take it away from them. I agree they will be written in history for their loyalty to the club.

" take it you know them personally ?
Everytime there is a thread about either player you come on with a big long post of how good they are and it is never there fault its other players fault, other players have not been performing as well to , your like a protective parent.
People have a different opinion than you and think if we are serious about finishing 3rd / 4th they should be replaced as they have been part of a poor defence over several years."

This made me laugh, do i know the personally? Other than watching them play in that green and white shirt everyweek, home and away i dont know them personally.
I hope you note that i post when i feel the critics on here are being unfair with their blame on one player when i and others i bet can see others in the team playing under par too. I use so many words to try and explain my points but they dont seem to reach some readers.
As ive said before its my opinion i post and if others dont agree then i just get on with life.

If you knew me you would know i am very protective of the younger players in our team. WHY? you cant take back words when they hurt a young person. Especially when i think those writing them are just looking for somewhere to vent their anger and to blame for the frustrations they feel at a game.

I hope i have given you the answers to the points you made and ggtth!

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Serious question....do you think Lewis Stevenson is having a good season?

You can reply to me calling you out for the "teams have been targeting him" pish first.

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Great answer, how many Scotland caps have Hanlon and Stevenson got between them ? How long has arguably the best left back in the world been part of the Scotland set up ? 10 years ? . Stevenson's only cap came when Scotland have arguably the best left back in the world and another that plays for Arsenal.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Great answer, how many Scotland caps have Hanlon and Stevenson got between them ? How long has arguably the best left back in the world been part of the Scotland set up ? 10 years ? . Stevenson's only cap came when Scotland have arguably the best left back in the world and another that plays for Arsenal.

I read this and I have no idea what it means.

However, John Brownlie was one of the best right backs I've ever seen. He played at ER for 9 years and went on to play over 100 times for Newcastle.

He got 7 caps.

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 04:55 PM
so you can draw a line with wee dots?

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if they do not agree with you they are vying for Micheal Stewarts position on Sportscene and are an expert"

Its not the fact that they are not agreeing with me at all, there just seemed to be so many on Lewis's back it looked as if they themselves considered themseles experts.

You wont get everyone agreeing with what you post. thats what this board is for to get opinions out there. Some though think they know it all though.Yo

"Not sure in the logic of whether manager has been sacked or not its nothing to do with it all.
They were part of the defence that got a manager sacked for his team being crap or probably according to you it was everyone else's fault"

It was mentioned that all the managers who played Lewis had got sacked with him playing in the team. I never ever said that it was ever everyone else's fault either.

To explain again, i was trying to point out that Lewis once again was being made a scapegoat but nothing was being said about the other under performers in the team.
Take it from me there are a few of them at the moment too
You have to remember too that we started the season without the best midfield in Scottish football the the previous season before. Our midfield the first half of this season was awful.
The cover they afforded the defence previously had all but disappeared along with the supply of the ball to the forward line and collectively we were languishing down the bottom of the league with Hearts.

"Who mentioned not supporting the team ? Including supporting Hanlon / Stevenson , can't see anywhere someone mentioning booing
them . One poster mentioned Stevenson achievements which I certainly do not agree with. Both players are living legends and will deservedly go down in history as part of the cup winning team. Both came across as decent guys on the cup winning DVD."

Eh, i think it was you who is mentioning supporting the team not me. I added a closing sentence that we had a big game tomorrow and to keep supporting the team as they needed it. How can you be supporting Hanlon and Stevenson if they are being continually criticised and believe me they were booed when passes went astray or crosses did not reach their intended destination.

im sorry but i dont know what achievement Lewis has gained you dont agree with, or is it the comment of the other poster you are not agreeing with?
Both players have been great servants to the club and no one can deny that or take it away from them. I agree they will be written in history for their loyalty to the club.

" take it you know them personally ?
People have a different opinion than you and think if we are serious about finishing 3rd / 4th they should be replaced as they have been part of a poor defence over several years."

This made me laugh, do i know the personally? Other than watching them play in that green and white shirt everyweek, home and away i dont know them personally.
I hope you note that i post when i feel the critics on here are being unfair with their blame on one player when i and others i bet can see others in the team playing under par too. I use so many words to try and explain my points but they dont seem to reach some readers.
As ive said before its my opinion i post and if others dont agree then i just get on with life.

If you knew me you would know i am very protective of the younger players in our team. WHY? you cant take back words when they hurt a young person. Especially when i think those writing them are just looking for somewhere to vent their anger and to blame for the frustrations they feel at a game.

I hope i have given you the answers to the points you made and ggtth!

Yes I can post with dots can you? Can you show me how to post the same thing twice in a row , is that for effect ?
Don't know you just like I don't know Stevenson or Hanlon. Didn't agree with poster who tried to belittle Stevenson's achievements.
Can you tell me all the young players you protect , surely can't be Stevenson at 32 and Hanlon at 30 . Where one of these young players not at fault for not picking up Stevenson's man at the goal last Sunday . I will be in my usual seat tomorrow in the famous five upper hoping that Stevenson and Hanlon along with every other Hibs player has a great game and we get a comfortable win. Will not be booing anybody , abusing players , if a mistake is made there will probably be a few expletives. Where do you sit so I can look out for the masses booing and abusing Stevenson and Hanlon. GGTTH.

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 04:59 PM

Final chance; footballers are on fixed term contracts, i.e. after a designated time (two to three years) the contract runs out and they cease to be a member of that squad unless the club conclude negotiations to keep them a part of the team. If someone is at a squad for a very long period of time, e.g. 12-13 years then successive managers have seen fit to keep them a part of the squad. It's not possible for them to half-arse their way through the working environment and do just enough to remain a part of the team as they will be sold or released.

Do you have any advance on "the managers weren't very good" as to why successive managers and professional coaches who see these players week in and week out, or indeed those higher up at Hibernian Football Club decided to keep Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon as part of the coaching staff?

You see "some of those managers were sacked or mutual consented" isn't a very strong argument as most are still in the professional game so their judgment is clearly valued by many also within the profession.

(FWIW, no, neither Paul or Lewis have had the best season, but the same goes for the entire back line. Considering the back line really hasn't changed that much since recent seasons where we've done well, that suggests to me that something else has changed for the worse, but then again that's just logical joined up thinking).

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Final chance; footballers are on fixed term contracts, i.e. after a designated time (two to three years) the contract runs out and they cease to be a member of that squad unless the club conclude negotiations to keep them a part of the team. If someone is at a squad for a very long period of time, e.g. 12-13 years then successive managers have seen fit to keep them a part of the squad. It's not possible for them to half-arse their way through the working environment and do just enough to remain a part of the team as they will be sold or released.

Do you have any advance on "the managers weren't very good" as to why successive managers and professional coaches who see these players week in and week out, or indeed those higher up at Hibernian Football Club decided to keep Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon as part of the coaching staff?

You see "some of those managers were sacked or mutual consented" isn't a very strong argument as most are still in the professional game so their judgment is clearly valued by many also within the profession.

(FWIW, no, neither Paul or Lewis have had the best season, but the same goes for the entire back line. Considering the back line really hasn't changed that much since recent seasons where we've done well, that suggests to me that something else has changed for the worse, but then again that's just logical joined up thinking).

No idea what you are going on about with 1st part. Just looking at your posts on this thread your oponion according to you is the only 1 that counts. Both have been here under contract over 10 years. Paul Hanlon was given a 5 year contract on the back of the golden generation as he was the next big thing and we had tied him down so when all the big bids started flooding in we would get the same price we got for Brown , Thomson etc. Unfortunately it didn't work out . Both have been part of teams that have got mangers sacked . That doesn't matter according to you. In all the time they have been here there have been no bids for them , I would have been delighted for both them if they got big money moves continuing us developing youngsters.
Can you tell me where you are sitting tomorrow night so I can keep an eye out, its been a long time since I have seen Hibs fans with pitchforks hunting down players. I hope these fans are aware of our new CCTV system and there is every chance they will be identified. GGTH

erin go bragh
11-02-2020, 07:22 PM

Very close to spot on . Lewi is a Hibernian Legend but apart when James plays . Weekest link in our team . We need a fast attacking left back imo .

Humo
11-02-2020, 07:41 PM
I would like to see us bring in a new left back for next season.
I just don't think Stevenson has been performing as well this season especially in attack.
Been an very good player for the club though and still has a part to play.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Gaffer1875
11-02-2020, 07:49 PM
Calvin Miller is out of contract in the summer from Celtic, not a bad player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacGruber
11-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Aaron Hickey from Hearts - offer him a route back to the top division next season

Brooster
11-02-2020, 08:18 PM
You can reply to me calling you out for the "teams have been targeting him" pish first.

It's obvious team target him. Obvious if you watch every week. It's also obvious that he is having a very poor season. To say otherwise is just pure stubbornness.

04Sauzee
11-02-2020, 08:40 PM
Calvin Miller is out of contract in the summer from Celtic, not a bad player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transfermarket says he is a left back and can play left wing or Centre Forward?

Vault Boy
11-02-2020, 08:54 PM
Transfermarket says he is a left back and can play left wing or Centre Forward?

LB/LWB but not good enough IMO. Wasn't particularly impressive for Dundee and is currently at Ayr Utd on loan.

Maybe he'll end up a decent player, but I don't think there's any danger we'll be after him.

angus hibby
11-02-2020, 09:01 PM
The current version of Stevenson is nowhere near the best in his position outwith the Old Firm in the league. I’d find it hard to make a case for any player being in that bracket based on this season. That’s as over the top as some of the criticism on this thread IMO.

Collectively, there isn’t a top 4 defence that can be made from any combination of Stevenson, Hanlon, McGregor, Jackson, Porteous, Gray & McGinn IMO. Stevenson & Hanlon have been the only real constants in our defensive struggles the last two seasons. They clearly aren’t the root cause, but by the same token I see them as part of the problem as much as anyone else.

Which LB playing in league at moment would you rather have? (outwith old firm)

04Sauzee
11-02-2020, 09:11 PM
LB/LWB but not good enough IMO. Wasn't particularly impressive for Dundee and is currently at Ayr Utd on loan.

Maybe he'll end up a decent player, but I don't think there's any danger we'll be after him.

I can't recall seeing him play tbh

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2020, 09:40 PM
It's obvious team target him. Obvious if you watch every week. It's also obvious that he is having a very poor season. To say otherwise is just pure stubbornness.

So obvious you don't give an example. I do watch every week. Utter myth that teams target him. Even on his worse days he doesn't give up much defensively. Nothing like Gray did Vs St Mirren for example. It's offensively that Lewis is an issue. Often slows the play down or turns back.

The 90+2
11-02-2020, 09:54 PM
Which LB playing in league at moment would you rather have? (outwith old firm)

Greg Leigh, Paulo Maldini Hickey, Taylor-Sinclair, Charles Dunne, Hanmalinen.

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 10:02 PM
So obvious you don't give an example. I do watch every week. Utter myth that teams target him. Even on his worse days he doesn't give up much defensively. Nothing like Gray did Vs St Mirren for example. It's offensively that Lewis is an issue. Often slows the play down or turns back.

BSC Glasgow targeted him hence the reason centre half positioned himself against him resulting in there goal.
They were like other teams quite happy for him to have the ball as you have just said he slows the play down or turns back.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2020, 10:29 PM
BSC Glasgow targeted him hence the reason centre half positioned himself against him resulting in there goal.
They were like other teams quite happy for him to have the ball as you have just said he slows the play down or turns back.

You've posted that to win an argument you've found yourself in. What you've said just isn't true.

The wind targeted him at the goal. It blew the ball over the defence and over Lewis's head so he was running backwards.

We only had one centre back on the pitch and all the BSC forwards were tall.

They closed Lewis down as quickly as they closed every other player down. However, he lost the ball a lot less often than several of our players.

You don't rate him. That's fair enough, but don't make things up because you can't bring yourself to give him any benefit of the doubt, please.

h1bs4life
11-02-2020, 11:07 PM
You've posted that to win an argument you've found yourself in. What you've said just isn't true.

The wind targeted him at the goal. It blew the ball over the defence and over Lewis's head so he was running backwards.

We only had one centre back on the pitch and all the BSC forwards were tall.

They closed Lewis down as quickly as they closed every other player down. However, he lost the ball a lot less often than several of our players.

You don't rate him. That's fair enough, but don't make things up because you can't bring yourself to give him any benefit of the doubt, please.

Thats a new one on me , just made it up but it isn't true. In all my years watching and playing I have never seen the wind target players is this a new thing ? BSC targeted Stevenson , hes an experienced player he should be shouting and at least trying to pass him on . If you go to Easter Road tomorrow night you will probably see Ross County players trying to do the same. If it was the other way about I would expect our players to do the same. Not sure about not given him the benefit of the doubt everyone seems to be making excuses for him with latest being the wind targeted him. Stevenson being the type of the person he is probably aware that he could have done better at the goal.

Centre Hawf
11-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Lewis is a Hibernian legend. The biggest compliment I can give to him while also being realistic is that if I had the choice I'd replace him with a younger version of himself right now. If we find a left back with half the commitment to this club as he has had over the last 12+ years then we'll be lucky.

chippy
12-02-2020, 03:14 AM
Lewis is a Hibernian legend. The biggest compliment I can give to him while also being realistic is that if I had the choice I'd replace him with a younger version of himself right now. If we find a left back with half the commitment to this club as he has had over the last 12+ years then we'll be lucky.

Josh Doig on loan to QUeens Park in SPFL team of week as CB but think he’s also a left back. Are we waiting for him ?

MWHIBBIES
12-02-2020, 04:33 AM

They targeted him from a free kick :faf:

Come on mate. Roberto Carlos would've conceded that goal too, because the **** was a foot taller than him as well.

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2020, 05:21 AM
Love Lewis to bits but the biggest thing for me as others have said is offensively he spends a lot of time going backwards rather than forwards but saying that he often doesn’t have a lot of choice as there ain’t not a lot happening in front of him movement wise

I have also noticed in the last couple of home games when he does get space on the left and bursts clear he seems to get “brain freeze” runs out of ideas and loses possession?

Defensively? Just ask James Forrest

Legend!

greenpaper55
12-02-2020, 07:38 AM

Come on mate. Roberto Carlos would've conceded that goal too, because the **** was a foot taller than him as well.

If you were at the St Mirren game you would have seen them doing the same thing to him, a few times they shoved a tall player against him at free kicks for the knock down which is a perfectly valid move to make i would have thought.

Brooster
12-02-2020, 08:10 AM

You dont really get it do you. I'll leave you to it.

Smartie
12-02-2020, 08:10 AM
If you were at the St Mirren game you would have seen them doing the same thing to him, a few times they shoved a tall player against him at free kicks for the knock down which is a perfectly valid move to make i would have thought.

Loads of teams tried it in the championship.

Few have had that much joy from it, albeit it led to a goal on Sunday.

Barman Stanton
12-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Its amazing how many people have lost their sh*t because we lost a goal to a semi pro team. Not just on here but on social media I have seen people say its a disgrace etc.

The wind made set pieces a bit of a lottery. And its no huge surprise that a short fullback would get out muscled and jumped by a big powerful player. I really dont think the guy was targeting Lewis. Although if he was, and was able to hit a pin-point cross in that wind then perhaps BSC are better than people think.

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2020, 08:24 AM
Its amazing how many people have lost their sh*t because we lost a goal to a semi pro team. Not just on here but on social media I have seen people say its a disgrace etc.

The wind made set pieces a bit of a lottery. And its no huge surprise that a short fullback would get out muscled and jumped by a big powerful player. I really dont think the guy was targeting Lewis. Although if he was, and was able to hit a pin-point cross in that wind then perhaps BSC are better than people think.

Freak goal!

Move on

Ross Co tonight

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 08:24 AM
Thats a new one on me , just made it up but it isn't true. In all my years watching and playing I have never seen the wind target players is this a new thing ? BSC targeted Stevenson , hes an experienced player he should be shouting and at least trying to pass him on . If you go to Easter Road tomorrow night you will probably see Ross County players trying to do the same. If it was the other way about I would expect our players to do the same. Not sure about not given him the benefit of the doubt everyone seems to be making excuses for him with latest being the wind targeted him. Stevenson being the type of the person he is probably aware that he could have done better at the goal.

I thought you would have understood what I meant when I said the wind targeted him. Maybe you're too literal so I apologise for my poor choice of words.

The wind changed the flight of the ball and that's what screwed Lewis, as I explained later in my post.

I'll be watching for the deliberate targeting tonight, not just of Lewis, but of John McGinn too.

I doubt there will be any discernable difference.

jacomo
12-02-2020, 08:43 AM

I hope that Hibs.net can rise above the utter garbage posted on social media, but Sunday’s matchday thread had the usual hysteria alongside more sensible contributions.

Much better teams than Hibs have struggled against a non-league team in wintry conditions who are playing as if their lives depend on it.

Lewis got beaten for the goal but also took the out ball from defence so many times, disrupting BSC and preventing them from building any real momentum against us. He did ok.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 08:44 AM

Keeping the ball away from our centre halves is a valid tactic, but it doesn't mean they were specifically targeting Lewis.

It would have nothing to do with his ability as a left back.

Russell Latapy was the same height as Lewis. If he'd been defending corners, opponents would have used the same tactic.

Would folk have said he was rubbish and used his height as a stick to beat him with?

J-C
12-02-2020, 08:54 AM
Keeping the ball away from our centre halves is a valid tactic, but it doesn't mean they were specifically targeting Lewis.

It would have nothing to do with his ability as a left back.

Russell Latapy was the same height as Lewis. If he'd been defending corners, opponents would have used the same tactic.

Would folk have used his height as a stick to beat him with?

TBF it's probably Lewis's only real fault, although he's a strong wee guy and will win every 50/50 his lack of height has always been a problem in the box at corners/free kicks. There's really not a lot he can do about it but generally makes up in lack of height with added strength and rarely gets out muscled, yes he's getting older and there are signs age is slowly catching up but he's still good enough for where we are.

Our biggest problems this season has been the midfield and the lack of protection from them foe the defence, especially on the left hand side. Since Boyle has come back, his pace and energy on the right means that side has decent protection but we've never replaced McGinn with a suitable left sided strong midfielder, Horgan is generally a waste of space when defending is concerned, hopefully with the added energy of Omeonga and Docherty, the midfield will hold onto the ball longer and also win it back more, which then prevents the defence being exposed.

Barman Stanton
12-02-2020, 08:56 AM
I hope that Hibs.net can rise above the utter garbage posted on social media, but Sunday’s matchday thread had the usual hysteria alongside more sensible contributions.

Much better teams than Hibs have struggled against a non-league team in wintry conditions who are playing as if their lives depend on it.

Lewis got beaten for the goal but also took the out ball from defence so many times, disrupting BSC and preventing them from building any real momentum against us. He did ok.

The negativity on social media (and I do include here) seems to be getting worse. We seem to have a large element of our support who are constantly angry / miserable. Toys get thrown out the pram incredibly quickly if things don't go their way.

re Lewis, admittedly he has not had the best of seasons so far. But some of the criticism / lack of respect on here is way over the top.

B.H.F.C
12-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Regarding the targeting of Lewis, why wouldn’t you if you were an opposing team? In the air, anybody with a bit of height has a distinct advantage. On the ground, he doesn’t stop crosses (I’m sure someone posted on here recently that, statistically, he was one of the poorest full backs in the league for doing so). If that’s wrong, I’ll take it back, but it’s definitely something we don’t do very well as a team.

blackpoolhibs
12-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Regarding the targeting of Lewis, why wouldn’t you if you were an opposing team? In the air, anybody with a bit of height has a distinct advantage. On the ground, he doesn’t stop crosses (I’m sure someone posted on here recently that, statistically, he was one of the poorest full backs in the league for doing so). If that’s wrong, I’ll take it back, but it’s definitely something we don’t do very well as a team.

Not seen any stats on him stopping crosses going in, but when he's just concentrating on defending, he's one of the best we've had in my lifetime.

Although in saying that, he is now letting more people past him and not stopping as many balls into the box.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:11 AM

His height wasn't even an issue a few months ago.

Folk are now grabbing on it to justify their general opinion that Lewis is rubbish because every other argument hits stoney ground.

Everyone knows that players don't go on for ever, but there have been people unfairly after Lewis Stevenson, and Paul Hanlon, for years, and that's why folk like me dig their heels in.

Someone actually said that every left back in the SPFL is better than Lewis. Someone said that Lewis's cap for Scotland didn't mean anything because the best and second best left backs were injured. At least I think that's what was meant.

Personally, if Lewis gets picked because number 1 + 2 are injured, that makes him number 3, but maybe my arithmetic isn't as competent as I thought it was.

I've said it before and it's correct. There are vocal people on here who look at Lewis waiting for anything they can criticise. That's not being a supporter in my book.

Since452
12-02-2020, 09:14 AM
The ammount of goals we concede from set pieces is scandalous it really is and it needs addressed properly in the summer window. Both teams to score is almost a certainty in our games. Think there needs to be changes in the summer including our keeper, left back and possibly center back too

LancsHibs
12-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Our creaking ageing defence requires a complete overhaul in the summer. Priority No.1 in my book

Barman Stanton

Folk are now grabbing on it to justify their general opinion that Lewis is rubbish because every other argument hits stoney ground.

Everyone knows that players don't go on for ever, but there have been people unfairly after Lewis Stevenson, and Paul Hanlon, for years, and that's why folk like me dig their heels in.

Someone actually said that every left back in the SPFL is better than Lewis. Someone said that Lewis's cap for Scotland didn't mean anything because the best and second best left backs were injured. At least I think that's what was meant.

Personally, if Lewis gets picked because number 1 + 2 are injured, that makes him number 3, but maybe my arithmetic isn't as competent as I thought it was.

I've said it before and it's correct. There are vocal people on here who look at Lewis waiting for anything they can criticise. That's not being a supporter in my book.

We have also had someone say... "winning 1 Scottish Cup , 1 league Cup and many a hundred game for Hibs isn't exactly anything to shout about". How can you even begin to reason with someone with that outlook.

B.H.F.C
Not seen any stats on him stopping crosses going in, but when he's just concentrating on defending, he's one of the best we've had in my lifetime.

Although in saying that, he is now letting more people past him and not stopping as many balls into the box.

I agree, in previous seasons. This season, though, I don’t thinking he’s been then solid 7 out of 10 performer he has been previously.

Smartie
12-02-2020, 09:23 AM
I agree, in previous seasons. This season, though, I don’t thinking he’s been then solid 7 out of 10 performer he has been previously.

He’s probably having his poorest season for us - he’s slipped from a very steady 7 out of 10 to a 6 out of 10 every week, and there have been mitigating factors.

I don’t think anyone can argue he’s having one of his best seasons but he’s been nowhere near as bad as some people are making out, and he’s not where I’d be starting a rebuild.

Borderhibbie76
12-02-2020, 09:24 AM
I agree with the general consensus that Lewis needs competition for next season and shouldn't be an automatic 1st pick anymore BUT some of the disrespectful nonsense on here about both him and Hanlon is just shocking tbh.

Both legends who have given us great service over the years. It seems now Whitty has improved his form these 2 are the new targets and it's not great patter from Hibs fans at all...both on here and Social Media.

So much for Hibs class right enough...

h1bs4life
12-02-2020, 09:25 AM

Of course they targeted him from a free-kick its not like put someone the size of Lionel Messi was up against him. They made sure one of the tallest players were up against him and Stevenson , the defence , the whole team never got it sorted.

Is that another to add the list .
Its no his fault because the other players was to big.
The wind targeted him.
Someone else should have picked him up.
There were Hibs fan booing and abusing him some even had pitch forks.

For the record I have tremendous respect for both Hanlon and Stevenson and if I was to meet them in a pub I would shake their hand , hug them , thank them for winning the Scottish Cup and buy them a drink.
My original opinion was that they needed to be replaced if we wanted to finish 4th we need better , some agreed , some disagreed.
Comments you made were people were talking pish your oponion was the only that mattered , smart arse remarks.
I will be there tonight hoping that the 2 of them have great games and we have a comfortable win will you be there ? if you are if someone comments about Hanlon or Stevenson will you tell them to there face they are talking pish or is that just on football message boards
GGTTH

B.H.F.C
12-02-2020, 09:28 AM
He’s probably having his poorest season for us - he’s slipped from a very steady 7 out of 10 to a 6 out of 10 every week, and there have been mitigating factors.

I don’t think anyone can argue he’s having one of his best seasons but he’s been nowhere near as bad as some people are making our, and he’s not where I’d be starting a rebuild.

Honestly, I think he’s been really poor. The most experienced head in a really poor defence and not doing anything in an attacking sense, which we need from our full backs.

That’s not me trying to have a pop, I just don’t think any aspect of his play has been up to scratch this year.

Northernhibee
12-02-2020, 09:28 AM
I agree with the general consensus that Lewis needs competition for next season and shouldn't be an automatic 1st pick anymore BUT some of the disrespectful nonsense on here about both him and Hanlon is just shocking tbh..

This, 100%. I can't pretend that Lewis and Paul haven't had their best season but they've not been the worst either.

One minute we're laughing at how Hearts treated Cristoph Error and then a minority of our support are happy to replicate that.

I think that's why people are leaping to their defence as there is no doubt that they're not as young as they used to be (FWIW I think Lewis has 2-3 seasons left in the tank yet and Paul more than that) but when the time does come for them to be phased out and then gone they absolutely deserve for it to be done with the utmost dignity and appreciation for what they've done.

Testimonial players and one club players (I'll count Paul in this as he was only on a loan) come around barely once in a generation. Enjoy them whilst they are still here as we'll miss them when they're no longer in the team.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:35 AM

I've mainly been watching on TV, but I've been happy with his performances. I've seen fine defending from him and I've seen occasional errors. When I come on here, all I read about it the slack pass or the failure to stop a cross, never the last gasp tackle or block.

People won't look again at matches with an open mind, but if they did, I'm certain they'd get a different picture of the game.

Look at Omeonga's contribution on Sunday. For large parts of the game he was running around chasing shadows, unable to find a Hibs player or make a tackle.

I think I was the only person who remarked upon it. Loads of players make more mistakes than Lewis, some players either hide or don't contribute much at all (Boyle on Sunday) but little is ever said.

Anyway, we've all stated our positions publicly so we've no option but to defend and justify them for eternity.

supermcginn
12-02-2020, 09:36 AM

The 6 first choice left backs were injured or pulled out the trip where stevenson got his cap fyi.

B.H.F.C
12-02-2020, 09:38 AM
I've mainly been watching on TV, but I've been happy with his performances. I've seen fine defending from him and I've seen occasional errors. When I come on here, all I read about it the slack pass or the failure to stop a cross, never the last gasp tackle or block.

People won't look again at matches with an open mind, but if they did, I'm certain they'd get a different picture of the game.

Look at Omeonga's contribution on Sunday. For large parts of the game he was running around chasing shadows, unable to find a Hibs player or make a tackle.

I think I was the only person who remarked upon it. Loads of players make more mistakes than Lewis, some players either hide or don't contribute much at all (Boyle on Sunday) but little is ever said.

Anyway, we've all stated our positions publicly so we've no option but to defend and justify them for eternity.

Maybe it’s you that needs to look again at a match with an open mind?

Barman Stanton
12-02-2020, 09:44 AM
The 6 first choice left backs were injured or pulled out the trip where stevenson got his cap fyi.

I dont think many Hibs fans think that Stevenson is international class. But you would think that most would be pleased that he got a cap, instead of belittling it.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:47 AM

Thanks. The conversation I read mentioned 2.

Ok, Lewis is the 7th best Scottish left back. I'm delighted we've got him.

I noticed someone, who I think was criticising Lewis, mentioned Eric Shaedler as a hero of theirs.

I loved Eric too. A big hearted, fully committed left back, adored by the fans.

I don't remember him posing a huge threat going forward, but the years may have dulled my memory.

However, he only ever won a single Scotland cap too. Lewis is in good company.

It's so sad that people use a lack of caps to have a go at a brilliant, record breaking servant to the club.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:48 AM
I dont think many Hibs fans think that Stevenson is international class. But you would think that most would be pleased that he got a cap, instead of belittling it.

Exactly. That's much simpler and better than my attempt.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Maybe it’s you that needs to look again at a match with an open mind?

I have.

supermcginn
12-02-2020, 09:49 AM
I'm not belittling anything, just stating facts which the poster I replied to seems to like doing.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:50 AM
I'm not belittling anything, just stating facts which the poster I replied to seems to like doing.

Any need for the dig at me because I have a different opinion?

supermcginn
12-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Any need for the dig at me because I have a different opinion?
not a dig at all, just stating facts like you have told everyone you have been doing in this thread. Dont be so touchy!

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:54 AM
not a dig at all, just stating facts like you have told everyone you have been doing in this thread. Dont be so touchy!

I'll be as touchy as I want.

What are you talking about anyway? What facts?

Barman Stanton

Certainly read that way. Since you like facts do you have a link for a quote about the 6 injured Left backs?

Vault Boy
I love Lewis Stevenson more than any person should love someone that they don't personally know.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 09:56 AM
I love Lewis Stevenson more than any person should love someone that they don't personally know.

Charlize Theron?

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Margot Robbie

supermcginn
12-02-2020, 09:59 AM
I'll be as touchy as I want.

What are you talking about anyway? What facts?
Calm down dear :dummytit:

Northernhibee
12-02-2020, 09:59 AM

I don't think it's just how he's achieved so much with us, it's how he's represented himself and Hibs as well. Never held out for more money, never started murmuring signs of discontent if he's been asked to play out of position (and he's played LB, LWB, CB, RB, RWB, CM, LM, LW, IIRC RM once as well near the end of a game), he gets his head down and gets on with it.

supermcginn
12-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Certainly read that way. Since you like facts do you have a link for a quote about the 6 injured Left backs?
I might actually be wrong it might just be 5, robertson, tierney, barry douglas, lee wallace and ikechi anya all pulled out.

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2020, 10:03 AM
I might actually be wrong it might just be 5, robertson, tierney, barry douglas, lee wallace and ikechi anya all pulled out.

Soapy Soutar 😁

Vault Boy
12-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Charlize Theron?

Margot Robbie

Alright, calm down you pair :greengrin

Vault Boy
12-02-2020, 10:05 AM
I don't think it's just how he's achieved so much with us, it's how he's represented himself and Hibs as well. Never held out for more money, never started murmuring signs of discontent if he's been asked to play out of position (and he's played LB, LWB, CB, RB, RWB, CM, LM, LW, IIRC RM once as well near the end of a game), he gets his head down and gets on with it.

Exactly. Everything about the man encapsulates the essence of professionalism, determination and dedication. It's absolutely no accident that one of the hardest working players to ever play for Hibs has ended up with two trophies.

Northernhibee
12-02-2020, 10:07 AM
Exactly. Everything about the man encapsulates the essence of professionalism, determination and dedication. It's absolutely no accident that one of the hardest working players to ever play for Hibs has ended up with two trophies.

But what if every manager and assistant manager and coach and member at Hibernian FC are actually wrong and just a bit crap and a couple of people on a message board know more about them? What then, sherlock? :cb:greengrin

hibee_girl
12-02-2020, 10:07 AM
I can’t wait for Lewis to have the game of his life tonight :smug:

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 10:10 AM
Calm down dear :dummytit:

Good lad.

Resorting to childish replies in the face of questions you can't answer.

It's a tried and tested strategy used by many whose arguments have been easily dismantled by simple questioning.

Hard to find fault.

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Alright, calm down you pair :greengrin

Not you as well??? :wink:

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 10:12 AM
I can’t wait for Lewis to have the game of his life tonight :smug:

I can't wait for his first mistake. :grr:

Barman Stanton
12-02-2020, 10:12 AM

Some pretty good players listed there, one even possibly the best in the world. No disgrace in being behind them.

Personally Im just delighted that Stevenson got a cap. One of the games good guys. He says himself that he has limited ability but gives nothing other than 100% for this club. I find it so strange that some people seem to have issues with Hibs fans sticking up for one of their own players.

End of the day, he will retire as an absolute Hibs legend. Scottish Cup, League Cup, Scottish Cap, Championship, various runners up medals. And the moaners will likely just pick on someone else.

Vault Boy
12-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Not you as well??? :wink:

Aye maybe, but can you blame me?! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
12-02-2020, 10:20 AM
I can't wait for his first mistake. :grr:

The very sad truth of the matter is that, although I'm joking, there will be people waiting eagerly for Lewis to make a mistake so they can rush on here and say "I told you do. I'm right and you're wrong".

Other players won't be subject to the same scrutiny and may make more mistakes or try less hard, but they won't be criticised.

I know the criticism, and often insults, have hurt and confused Lewis. I'm just glad that he's got the mental strength to push through them and give his all twice a week, every week.

Edit: I just noticed I quoted myself instead of editing, before some dafty takes the piss. :greengrin

Smartie
12-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Honestly, I think he’s been really poor. The most experienced head in a really poor defence and not doing anything in an attacking sense, which we need from our full backs.

That’s not me trying to have a pop, I just don’t think any aspect of his play has been up to scratch this year.

You’re entitled to your opinion and you are far from alone.

I disagree, that’s all.

It’s not like our support to be split on the subject of Lewis Stevenson though, is it?