PDA

View Full Version : Gullan

GGTTH07
09-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Good wee cameo from him. Was impressed. With Horgan again not showing much id give him a Chance on Wednesday.

hibsbollah
09-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Clearly eager to prove a point at not being giving a starting role. Guess he was fuming.

bigwheel
Good wee cameo from him. Was impressed. With Horgan again not showing much id give him a Chance on Wednesday.

He plays a completely different role ? Agree he did well though - thought him and Murray made a decent contribution. I think Murray is in line for a start before Jamie....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
Looked good, more involved in the link up play than I'd have expected.

Crab apple
09-02-2020, 02:45 PM
I thought he did well when he came on and I liked his positivity. Had a shot and took people on.

GGTTH07
09-02-2020, 02:48 PM
He plays a completely different role ? Agree he did well though - thought him and Murray made a decent contribution. I think Murray is in line for a start before Jamie....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He plays of the left regularly

where'stheslope
09-02-2020, 03:09 PM
I thought Horgan was particularly good today, coming back and defending, changing from the left to the right trying to get at their defense!
The wind made it a day of lotteries for passing, all our goals were from close range passing movement, have to say though, our defense was caught out to often for my liking, Marciano's save was top drawer, but where was the defense?
Against better opposition we would be conceding a lot more goals!!!!

The 90+2
09-02-2020, 03:10 PM
He was very lively. Bodes well for the future.

ahibby
09-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Sweet left peg

Hibbyradge
09-02-2020, 03:17 PM
Clearly eager to prove a point at not being giving a starting role. Guess he was fuming.

Have you been chewing on the mischief pills again?

hibsbollah
09-02-2020, 04:34 PM
Have you been chewing on the mischief pills again?

I have been imbibing a glass or two of Chateau Windup, yes. A very decent vintage.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2020, 04:48 PM
I have been imbibing a glass or two of Chateau Windup, yes. A very decent vintage.

So I see.

Power to the naughty grape.

Nicho87
09-02-2020, 06:10 PM
Thought he looked more dangerous than Murray who I think continues to look physically not ready for games. Needs to bulk up quite a bit.

Like the look of gullan.

Stuart93
09-02-2020, 06:12 PM
I thought Horgan was particularly good today, coming back and defending, changing from the left to the right trying to get at their defense!
The wind made it a day of lotteries for passing, all our goals were from close range passing movement, have to say though, our defense was caught out to often for my liking, Marciano's save was top drawer, but where was the defense?
Against better opposition we would be conceding a lot more goals!!!!

You thought Horgan was good today!?

Would hate to see how a poor Horgan performance would look then

hibbysam
09-02-2020, 06:34 PM
Thought he looked more dangerous than Murray who I think continues to look physically not ready for games. Needs to bulk up quite a bit.

Like the look of gullan.

Does Boyle need to ‘bulk up’? You don’t need to be huge to compete in Scotland, contrary to the myth. Fraser Murray is quick, has good feet, and is a really good football player. He played well when he came on today, as did Gullan. Totally different types of player and therefore requiring of different attributes and physicality's.

Vault Boy
09-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Does Boyle need to ‘bulk up’? You don’t need to be huge to compete in Scotland, contrary to the myth. Fraser Murray is quick, has good feet, and is a really good football player. He played well when he came on today, as did Gullan. Totally different types of player and therefore requiring of different attributes and physicality's.

Agree with this. Too much muscle on Fraser and he might not have the agility and turn of pace that he seems to possess. More game time to come for both, hopefully. Fraser has really impressed me recently.

greenlex
09-02-2020, 06:51 PM

Game of two halves today. Decent enough in the first and equally poor until hooked in the second.

Sweet Left Peg
09-02-2020, 06:52 PM
Sweet left peg

Yes?

Billy Whizz
09-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Both top prospects and only 20
Nice thing is we’re talking about both of them getting game time, hope they get a lot more before the end of the season

hibbysam
09-02-2020, 06:56 PM
Both top prospects and only 20
Nice thing is we’re talking about both of them getting game time, hope they get a lot more before the end of the season

I think they most certainly will. Unless one of Aberdeen or Motherwell fall to bits then we will be playing for nothing with 6/7 games to go which would allow us to experiment a bit. I’d like to see Murray play a fair bit regardless though as we are really short on the left hand side.

EAZY-ME
09-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Doidge should have been hooked at 60 minutes for gillan....that plastic pitch and weather caused a lot of problems today

Hibbyradge
09-02-2020, 07:18 PM
Yes?

😂

danhibees1875
09-02-2020, 07:22 PM

He didn't set the world alight and he wouldn't make it into my starting 11 on Wednesday... But he was okay today.

He done some good defensive work which he deserves credit for and was usually available going forward although I don't remember him doing much with it.

He wasn't awful, but I would expect more considering the opposition. Although to BSC's credit they done well to stifle a lot of our creative threats as best they could I thought - other than forgetting McNulty was on the park. :greengrin

SquashedFrogg
09-02-2020, 07:22 PM

Like the look of gullan.

Bulk up quite a bit? God knows what you'd have said about Riordan.

NOLA
09-02-2020, 07:43 PM

Get yourself on the Guinness son that will bulk you up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicho87
09-02-2020, 07:48 PM
There’s a right few touchy sods about Murray. I said the same about Shaw too.

Derek Riordan showed early on he was a cut above the rest. Imo Fraser Murray has struggled to show his qualities in most of the opportunities put his way. Hence why he was so close to being put out on loan about 9 days ago.

Waxy
09-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Thought Horgan played well today.

Vault Boy
09-02-2020, 08:26 PM
There’s a right few touchy sods about Murray. I said the same about Shaw too.

Derek Riordan showed early on he was a cut above the rest. Imo Fraser Murray has struggled to show his qualities in most of the opportunities put his way. Hence why he was so close to being put out on loan about 9 days ago.

Touchy sods because they disagreed with your assessment? That's not a reasonable thing to say.

It's not too disagreeable to say that Murray could have made a bigger impact by this stage of his career, but I'd agree with others who have made a good point about why bulking up isn't necessarily the solution.

Thought he did well today and impressed me in his recent cameos too.

J-C
09-02-2020, 08:35 PM

I agree, Murray looked fine when he was on, he got stuck in no problems at all, just needs more game time.

09-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Players in the midfield, where it can get quite physical and you need to be able to handle yourself need to "bulk up" to an extent. Loom at McGinn for instance, he was quite a small, weedy player in his younger days but didn't half bulk, making him a far better player and able to handle the midfield and hold off players. Strikers don't need that as much IMO. Yea if your a Boyd type striker where it's all about out muscling defenders and getting into the right place at the right time then yea but look at your likes of Riordan for example, built like a rake and probably not as strong in the rough and tough of it all but he was tricky, agile and by God could he hit them from just about anywhere!

Jamies not the biggest of guys sure but he has a good shot on him and can be tricky. Deserves a chance IMO and at only 20 hopefully a player we can grow and develop for the future.

Unseen work
09-02-2020, 08:56 PM
I don’t think Murray is pacey at all, rarely see him run away from a player in a 1 v 1 scenario, actually he rarely takes him on at all and goes for the safe infield pass. He also has to learn how to use his body better.

I don’t think Murray is a winger at all but he is composed and technically decent enough on the ball. Good passing, sharp turns and a good touch - He is a number 10 imo but is miles behind Allan and Mallan for that position.

He’s a decent player but doesn’t seem to have progressed since his first involvement several years ago, he’s desperate for a loan stint imo.

Gullan on the other hand has the pace, power and trickery to take boys on and get past them. I think it’s evident he’s been on loan twice and done well. He also has the bit of swagger about him and belief in himself, what was it 1 minute he was on today before he spun the defender and struck a good shot with his weaker foot.

For me Gullan would be ahead of Horgan for the left of the front 3 come Wednesday if that’s the formation we were to go for. With McNulty scoring a hat trick he may feel the need to go two up top and then it’s a question if he fancies/trust Gullan on the left of a 4.

Imo Gullan is similar to the boy James Scott who just left Motherwell for 1.5 million.

Clarence
10-02-2020, 06:06 AM

Swap him for Bobby Mann

Squealing pig
10-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Guy looked sharp and definitely needs more chances with the 1st team.

calumhibee1
10-02-2020, 07:44 AM
Done well. Admittedly it was 20 mins or so against BSC Glasgow but he looked a better option than Shaw imo.

Greenworld
10-02-2020, 07:53 AM
Our managers need to get rid of the fear of giving youth a chance starting with gullan no point in recalling someone from loan and not using them .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
10-02-2020, 08:16 AM
Our managers need to get rid of the fear of giving youth a chance starting with gullan no point in recalling someone from loan and not using them .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

It’s a nice thought but we’ve got some very good attacking players. We can’t just leave them out for the sake of giving Gullan a chance.

jacomo
10-02-2020, 08:22 AM
It’s a nice thought but we’ve got some very good attacking players. We can’t just leave them out for the sake of giving Gullan a chance.

True but there’s a balance to be struck and I’m not convinced we’ve got it right.

Witness Innes Murray, extended contract and sent out on loan aged 21 after zero first team football with us. What is the point?

hibee-boys
10-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Not seen much of Gullan so difficult to pass comment. To me Murray seems to fall into the same bracket as the likes of Stanton, Handling, Booth, Wotherspoon etc....tidy enough footballers but just missing that extra something, whether that be pace/aggression/skill/confidence, that sets them apart from other players of their age. Some of our youth products have been able to forge themselves a career at lower end premier league/championship level and they deserve credit for that. Unfortunately this does little to benefit Hibs, Porteous aside (and he has some maturing to do) we've not produced any youngsters for around 10 years who have been able to stake a claim for a regular starting place.

calumhibee1
10-02-2020, 08:37 AM
True but there’s a balance to be struck and I’m not convinced we’ve got it right.

Witness Innes Murray, extended contract and sent out on loan aged 21 after zero first team football with us. What is the point?

I’d agree to an extent. I do want to see the youngsters like Murray and Gullan get more opportunities. But it can’t be at the expense of players like Doidge, Boyle, Allan, Docherty, Omeonga, McNulty etc. With that in mind, I’m not quite sure how we go about it.

hibee-boys
10-02-2020, 08:47 AM
I’d agree to an extent. I do want to see the youngsters like Murray and Gullan get more opportunities. But it can’t be at the expense of players like Doidge, Boyle, Allan, Docherty, Omeonga, McNulty etc. With that in mind, I’m not quite sure how we go about it.

If there was ever a chance to give the likes of Murray and Gullan a start it was yesterday but Jack Ross obviously did not want to take the risk. No danger he'll be starting any of our youngers players just to 'give them a chance' unless he feels they offer something different/better than what is available, and neither he should. It's his neck on the line and I can't see Hibs fans letting him off the hook if we get beat Wednesday night on the basis that "aw well, at least Gullan and Murray got 90 mins!".

calumhibee1
10-02-2020, 08:50 AM
If there was ever a chance to give the likes of Murray and Gullan a start it was yesterday but Jack Ross obviously did not want to take the risk. No danger he'll be starting any of our youngers players just to 'give them a chance' unless he feels they offer something different/better than what is available, and neither he should. It's his neck on the line and I can't see Hibs fans letting him off the hook if we get beat Wednesday night on the basis that "aw well, at least Gullan and Murray got 90 mins!".

Agree. Although we made hard work of it for 70 mins or so yesterday with our first team out, so it was probably justified going with a strong starting 11 yesterday.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2020, 08:52 AM
Swap him for Bobby Mann

That suggestion came from Inverness although people used it as a stick with which to beat Williamson.

J-C
10-02-2020, 10:57 AM

I'd happily leave out Horgan, very inconsistent and blows out his erse after 30 mins, he's had about 3 good games since he came and if it's true he's one of our higher earners, then I'd be happy to see Gullan getting more game time and Horgan moved on in the summer.

calumhibee1
10-02-2020, 11:02 AM
I'd happily leave out Horgan, very inconsistent and blows out his erse after 30 mins, he's had about 3 good games since he came and if it's true he's one of our higher earners, then I'd be happy to see Gullan getting more game time and Horgan moved on in the summer.

He’s the one I’d leave out if I had to as well. Not done nearly enough in his time here imo.

J-C
10-02-2020, 12:12 PM
He’s the one I’d leave out if I had to as well. Not done nearly enough in his time here imo.

He was the type of player that we tend to look at, between 21 -24 years old with potential, unfortunately a bit like Slivka, he hasn't improved one bit and if anything has gone backwards in his game play.