PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Stones song

Hiber-nation
09-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Well it's been talked about on the Beatles thread so why not.

For me Honky Tonk Women will always be top but honourable mentions for a few ballads, Angie, Moonlight Mile, Wild Horses and Memory Motel.

Wilson
09-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Well it's been talked about on the Beatles thread so why not.

For me Honky Tonk Women will always be top but honourable mentions for a few ballads, Angie, Moonlight Mile, Wild Horses and Memory Motel.

Paint it black

The Modfather
09-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Not the biggest Stones fan but do like them. Preferred their early R&B sound and got the albums from Decembers Children - Between The Buttons.

As for their best song, got to be either Gimme Shelter, Paint It Black or Sympathy For The Devil. Although I like the simplicity and pop-iness of something like Connection or Under My Thumb.

patch1875
09-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Sympathy For The Devil
Get Off Of My Cloud
Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Waiting On A Friend

BroxburnHibee
09-02-2020, 03:34 PM
Gimme Shelter

Tyler Durden
09-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Big fan of Out of Time although also like the Chris Farlowe version.

I was recently given a box of vinyl that had been gathering dust in a friends parents attic. Most of it was rubbish 50s stuff tbh but there was a mint copy of “Let it Bleed”. Virtually perfect condition and probably worth about £200, not that I’d sell it. That kinda got me back into the Stones and been listening to that and Sticky Fingers from time to time.

PeeJay
09-02-2020, 03:56 PM
Not bad band - Tumbling Dice for me ...

Northernhibee
09-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Slightly off topic - only a casual fan and was taken along to the Murrayfield gig in 2018. What a fantastic live band, even in their seventies. Would have loved to have seen them when they would have been at their peak.

Jim44
09-02-2020, 06:00 PM
I really liked their early stuff like Oh Carol, Route 66 and I’m a King Bee.

Mibbes Aye
09-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Not bad band - Tumbling Dice for me ...

Glad to see my suggestion of a Stones thread was taken up, I think that makes me an ‘influencer’ but to be honest I’m not really sure what that actually means :greengrin. But if I can monetise it then I’m not complaining........

Once again, I agree with you on music. Great song and great album. The Stones do a couple of standard types of song. There is the laconic tune, sometimes slow, sometimes quicker, and ‘Tumbling Dice’ fits into that category perfectly.

They are also the masters of the up-tempo, driven track and for me ‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’ is the epitome, loaded up with a catchy hook. I heard a show on Radio 3 the other day about ‘popular’ music explaining the appeal of a backing chorus and how we are almost tuned to respond to it. One of the examples they used was the backing chorus in ‘California Dreamin’’ by the Mamas and the Papas, everyone sings along to the backing chorus not to the lead vocal. ‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’ is similar, where one feels obliged to sing the ‘Bada-bada-ba-ba-bah-ba-ba’ rather than Jagger’s vocals.

I agree with shouts for ‘Gimme Shelter’, Surely one of the most iconic intros in the history of rock.

Final shout would be for ‘Wild Horses’, it just stumbles its way along in this beautiful, elegiac fashion. More than the sum of its parts.

Killiehibbie
09-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Too many great songs, we decided years ago that it has to be a best album for The Stones.

If pushed for a single Gimme Shelter today a different answer tomorrow.

Smartie
09-02-2020, 07:08 PM
I'm not actually a massive Stones fan, but Gimme Shelter is up there with the best songs of all time imo. That intro, the backing vocals....

I'm assuming most folk on here will have seen 20 feet from stardom but I just love the bit where the backing singer talks about how her part in this song comes about. The look of pride on her face, Jagger's wee smile.

A masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/ChONufP0FEs

Jones28
09-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Beast of Burden

JeMeSouviens
09-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Jumpin’ Jack Flash, top Keith riffing.

Bostonhibby
09-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Most of the above but also like It's the Singer Not the Song.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

easty
09-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Sympathy for the Devil for me

PeeJay
10-02-2020, 05:08 AM
Once again, I agree with you on music. Great song and great album. The Stones do a couple of standard types of song. There is the laconic tune, sometimes slow, sometimes quicker, and ‘Tumbling Dice’ fits into that category perfectly.

I read somewhere that Jagger wanted the song speeded up as he felt it was too slow, but Keef stuck to his guns and forced through the "laid-back groove" I think they got it spot on - Wyman wasn't on bass, strangely, Taylor did the duties for some reason ... for me, it was their last great album? A wee while ago now ...

Sudds_1
10-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Another hige catalogue to choose from. My fav justnow is you got me rockung...live @ copacabana in 2006

MagicSwirlingShip
10-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Some Girls is probably my favourite Stones LP.

Miss you, Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Beast of Burden. All brilliant tracks

Just_Jimmy
10-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Wild horses is epic.

Sympathy for the devil is superb.

Brown sugar

There's too many they are just amazing

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
10-02-2020, 08:47 PM
It’s hard to pick one, but I’ll go for time on my side. There was a film that used that song all the way through, but I can’t remember what it was called.

Mibbes Aye
10-02-2020, 10:21 PM
It’s hard to pick one, but I’ll go for time on my side. There was a film that used that song all the way through, but I can’t remember what it was called.

If it’s the one about the serial killer who is executed but then there are copycat murders, and Denzel Washington plays the cop who had arrested him, it was called ‘Fallen’.

lord bunberry
11-02-2020, 07:11 AM
If it’s the one about the serial killer who is executed but then there are copycat murders, and Denzel Washington plays the cop who had arrested him, it was called ‘Fallen’.
That’s the one, I loved that film. Every time he moves to another body he either sings or whistles that song.

Northernhibee
11-02-2020, 04:47 PM
Under My Thumb, Gimme Shelter, She's A Rainbow are all belters. Sympathy For The Devil is near perfection.

Even think Doom & Gloom is a spectacular song for a band who had been around for so long at the time.

Jonnyboy
11-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Slightly off topic - only a casual fan and was taken along to the Murrayfield gig in 2018. What a fantastic live band, even in their seventies. Would have loved to have seen them when they would have been at their peak.

I saw them at the Usher Hall when they were in their prime. Emphasis in the word "saw" as you couldn't hear them for the screaming :greengrin (… and no, I wasn't screaming)

Not entirely sure why but I really liked the song Ruby Tuesday"

heretoday
12-02-2020, 09:02 AM
All Down The Line.
I thought the Mick Taylor years were their best musically. They became a hard-edged rock band and started filling stadiums.

speedy_gonzales
12-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Sitting here in the sunshine (of Lanzarote) listening to a lot of these "classic" Stones tracks after reading this thread, I love the pop hits but really lose myself in the earlier R&B tracks that Jagger & Richards curated together.

Anyways, as modern tech would have it, I'm listening to the tracks on Deezer and my Google assistant pops up and lets me know the Stones will be performing in Florida when I'm over there for my summer hols,,,,5 minutes later I've got myself 3 tickets for the boys in Tampa on the 5th of July, so thanks to Hiber-nation and the rest of you contributing,,,,

MagicSwirlingShip
12-02-2020, 03:57 PM
Sitting here in the sunshine (of Lanzarote) listening to a lot of these "classic" Stones tracks after reading this thread, I love the pop hits but really lose myself in the earlier R&B tracks that Jagger & Richards curated together.

Anyways, as modern tech would have it, I'm listening to the tracks on Deezer and my Google assistant pops up and lets me know the Stones will be performing in Florida when I'm over there for my summer hols,,,,5 minutes later I've got myself 3 tickets for the boys in Tampa on the 5th of July, so thanks to Hiber-nation and the rest of you contributing,,,,

Awesome! Seen them at Hampden as part of the Bigger Bang tour. Unbelievable show & spectacle. Some spot to see them too!

Killiehibbie
12-02-2020, 04:01 PM

Sounds like a great place to see them. Don't go to Busch Gardens on the 4th as some clown did a few years ago, fast pass sold out and park filled to capacity.

Hibee87
12-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Paint it black

Agreed.

Lancs Harp
12-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Yep another one for Paint it black

WeeRussell
14-02-2020, 12:11 PM
Undoubtedly my favourite band of all time and reading through some of the great songs already posted nearly brought a smile on an otherwise boring typical work day :greengrin

I always think with the Stones, it's funny how many people "love" them but aren't very aware of their albums and the sheer size of their backlog. I think most wouldn't have heard of the majority of my favourites... so when you meet and talk to another Stones-obsessed person, it really strikes a chord (pardon the pun). And indeed I started the same way, greatest hit style albums to get into them... and then delving into all their album work as I just couldn't get enough!

Anyway enough slavering. To answer the question:

Let it Loose. My favourite song ever. Period.

After that, I'm like others in that I would struggle to pick an order. Some honourable mentions however (at this moment in time) for:

Sway
Loving Cup
Tumblin' Dice
Can't you hear me knocking (THIS is the intro for me)
Far away eyes
Just my imagination
Dead Flowers
Memo from turner
Shine a light
Sweet virginia
Monkey man
Tops
Worried about you
Rocks off

Ok I'll stop. What a band. Won't ever be beaten.

Hiber-nation
14-02-2020, 12:19 PM
Far away eyes

One of the few songs that will turn me into a blubbering wreck. Struggle to listen to it. :not worth:boo hoo::not worth

WeeRussell
14-02-2020, 12:35 PM
One of the few songs that will turn me into a blubbering wreck. Struggle to listen to it. :not worth:boo hoo::not worth

Should be a country all time great... from a rock n roll band :agree:

MagicSwirlingShip
14-02-2020, 03:49 PM
Ace post WeeRussell, gonna do a deep dive into some of these I’ve never heard before on Monday on a walk with the hound.t

WeeRussell
14-02-2020, 05:34 PM
Ace post WeeRussell, gonna do a deep dive into some of these I’ve never heard before on Monday on a walk with the hound.t

Enjoy 👍 and give me a shout if you want any more. I could haver about stones songs all day.

WeeRussell
14-02-2020, 05:38 PM
All Down The Line.
I thought the Mick Taylor years were their best musically. They became a hard-edged rock band and started filling stadiums.

There’s a rare wee demo/bootleg of this kicking about. Hard to be sure from memory but may be on “unreleased decca” or something like that.

Over the years I’ve enjoyed listening to it more than the released final version!

In general I like that. When you already like a song and get hold of an alternative or demo/acoustic version

Cataplana
20-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Sympathy for the Devil.

After that anything from Exile on Mainsteet. The Mick Taylor years were their finest IMO.

wpj
20-02-2020, 07:41 PM
So many, I have always loved No Expections from Beggars Banquet.
Rolled Gold is a great collection amongst many greatest hits collections

MagicSwirlingShip
14-05-2020, 06:00 PM
Undoubtedly my favourite band of all time and reading through some of the great songs already posted nearly brought a smile on an otherwise boring typical work day :greengrin

I always think with the Stones, it's funny how many people "love" them but aren't very aware of their albums and the sheer size of their backlog. I think most wouldn't have heard of the majority of my favourites... so when you meet and talk to another Stones-obsessed person, it really strikes a chord (pardon the pun). And indeed I started the same way, greatest hit style albums to get into them... and then delving into all their album work as I just couldn't get enough!

Anyway enough slavering. To answer the question:

Let it Loose. My favourite song ever. Period.

After that, I'm like others in that I would struggle to pick an order. Some honourable mentions however (at this moment in time) for:

Sway
Loving Cup
Tumblin' Dice
Can't you hear me knocking (THIS is the intro for me)
Far away eyes
Just my imagination
Dead Flowers
Memo from turner
Shine a light
Sweet virginia
Monkey man
Tops
Worried about you
Rocks off

Ok I'll stop. What a band. Won't ever be beaten.

Just had a magic afternoon walking into Arthurs Seat, flickering between a playlist of these and others, and Keith Richards autobiography on Audiobook. Superb day :agree:

O'Rourke3
14-05-2020, 10:52 PM
I have a penchant for As tears go by. But like The Beatles, too many to choose from.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hibby70
20-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Not a stones fan but Gimme Shelter is outstanding.