PDA

View Full Version : 1201 kick off time

JXM73
08-02-2020, 11:51 AM
What pish the sfa trying to encourage this time, all cup games appear to kick off 1 minute later...according to my sky app anyway

Heisenberg
08-02-2020, 11:53 AM
What pish the sfa trying to encourage this time, all cup games appear to kick off 1 minute later...according to my sky app anyway

Guessing it’s the same thing that happened down south. Something to do with a minute for mental health I believe. Not really “pish”.

Antifa Hibs
08-02-2020, 11:54 AM

Mental health awareness > http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10541

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Mental health awareness > http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10541

They aren’t really making people aware that much.

Sir David Gray
08-02-2020, 11:58 AM

1 minute to think about mental health, same as the FA Cup a few weeks ago.

Clarence
08-02-2020, 12:03 PM
A minute to ruminate over all the things we wish we’d done differently with our lives.

danhibees1875
08-02-2020, 12:05 PM
They aren’t really making people aware that much.

There's a thread talking about it now. I think that's kind of what they were aiming for.

Sudds_1
08-02-2020, 12:18 PM
There's a thread talking about it now. I think that's kind of what they were aiming for.

Being a hibs supporter all my life has goosed my mental health anyway!! 😄

Northernhibee
08-02-2020, 12:22 PM
First I knew of a friend’s mental health problems was when he went to make an attempt on his life. We were lucky in we caught him at the right time and talked him out of it and got him help.

Anything at all that might make men think that it’s not a weakness to speak out isn’t “pish”.

Cardinal G
08-02-2020, 12:48 PM
First I knew of a friend’s mental health problems was when he went to make an attempt on his life. We were lucky in we caught him at the right time and talked him out of it and got him help.

Anything at all that might make men think that it’s not a weakness to speak out isn’t “pish”.

Well said. Having suffered myself and seen friends in similair situations it's important the profile is raised to encourage awareness.

Keith_M
08-02-2020, 12:55 PM
I'm struggling to see what actual benefits would come of this in regards to people's mental health.

The argument is that people take the minute to think of mental health issues, so..., what is it exactly that people are supposed to be thinking during that minute, leading up two hours of screaming and shouting, that is genuinely going to make any difference to anybody?

:confused:

Just to clarify: I have seen people struggle with mental health and depression, accept that there is a problem, and I'm happy to support any genuine initiatives where I'm convinced it will make a difference.... I just don't believe this is one of those.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Scottish football fans as open minded as ever I see. Maybe we can keep a comprehensive list of things dubbed 'pish' and 'pointless'. I'll kick off with:

Catholicism
Protestantism
Awareness of homophobia
Awareness of mental health issues
Women's football
Matches selected for TV
Matches not selected for TV

lord bunberry
08-02-2020, 12:59 PM
I'm struggling to see what actual benefits would come of this in regards to people's mental health.

The argument is that people take the minute to think of mental health issues, so..., what is it exactly that people are supposed to be thinking during that minute, leading up two hours of screaming and shouting, that is genuinely going to make any difference to anybody?

Just to clarify: I have seen people struggle with mental health and depression, accept that there is a problem, and I'm happy to support any genuine initiatives where I'm convinced it will make a difference.... I just don't believe this is one of those.
Anything that raises awareness and gets people discussing it is a positive thing.

JohnMcM
08-02-2020, 01:00 PM

As a vet with issues and the father of a vet with issues. Trust me when I tell you that the knowledge that people are starting to understand your troubles, or even thinking of you, it can help at the darkest times my friend.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 01:01 PM
Scottish football fans as open minded as ever I see. Maybe we can keep a comprehensive list of things dubbed 'pish' and 'pointless'. I'll kick off with:

Catholicism
Protestantism
Awareness of homophobia
Women's football
Matches selected for TV

I don’t for one minute think the OP knew it was mental health awareness in fairness.

Keith_M
08-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Catholicism
Protestantism
Awareness of homophobia
Women's football
Matches selected for TV

You're just being overly dramatic.

MikeyS
08-02-2020, 01:02 PM

A minute silence to honour the end of Mikey Stewart's BBC career.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2020, 01:06 PM
I don’t for one minute think the OP knew it was mental health awareness in fairness.

Probably not.

We had the arguments weeks ago when the FA had a similar initative though. And the predictable arguments when the rainbow laces campaign comes around, show racism the red card etc etc.

Same faces, same arguments.

Malthibby
08-02-2020, 01:14 PM
As a vet with issues and the father of a vet with issues. Trust me when I tell you that the knowledge that people are starting to understand your troubles, or even thinking of you, it can help at the darkest times my friend.

Should be adding this to every response on this thread.

TheHarpy76
08-02-2020, 01:21 PM

Well you’re talking about it right now.

CMurdoch
08-02-2020, 01:26 PM
It's another initiative to sustain mental health awareness and normalise it.
This thread and others like it on other fans forums are an obvious positive result.
What's not to like.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Probably not.

We had the arguments weeks ago when the FA had a similar initative though. And the predictable arguments when the rainbow laces campaign comes around, show racism the red card etc etc.

Same faces, same arguments.

👍👍

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 01:29 PM

Very true mate.

Since452
08-02-2020, 01:31 PM
The OP wasn't having a dig at mental health I think that's obvious. FWIW I think it's a brilliant idea. So many people suffering in silence so anything to raise awareness is a good idea

heidtheba
08-02-2020, 01:32 PM

I think it's a very fair point you make, and we need to have this discussion. FWIW, I think targeting a mainly male demographic is crucial, we all know the suicide rates amongst young men and it's appalling. We're seeing on this thread some really great comments, ones which would/will make a difference to people suffering. This forum has already got a really good thread on depression and I can't imagine how many people that has helped. As one poster has said, having an opportunity to be in a place (football stadium or this forum) where people can go 'it's not just you, I've had this too' or 'I know what that suffering is like' is huge. But it's a good thing to have a discussion around it.

Mr Grieves
08-02-2020, 01:44 PM
It's amazing how some folk overreact to initiatives such as this, minute silences, etc. It's one whole minute, get some perspective.

Phil MaGlass
08-02-2020, 01:49 PM

:greengrin calm doon, take a minute

Carheenlea
08-02-2020, 01:58 PM
Did the teams line up as normal at 3pm then wait for 3.01pm to kick off, or was it simply a 3.01 KO?

Not trying to be funny - just curious to what protocol there was, if any, prior to KO.

It`s encouraging that mental health awareness is becoming `normalised`, as another poster above noted, and in a male dominated environment like football, to have such with a subject that was effectively a taboo can only be a positive.

Phil MaGlass
08-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Not only in the mens game, the womens game has the same issues, watched a piece on the EBC yesterday relating to the english womens captain, she tried to commit suicide at 16, horrendous and sad.
The type of people that give players such as Griffiths and managers such as Lennon abuse about their mental health, need tae be called out.

JXM73
08-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Apologies if my pish upset some snowflakes, point then is why wasn't this mentioned at all on match info or tickets...all state 12 noon kick off.

Least this thread got some attention, we've all had to deal with mental health, personally or otherwise...

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-02-2020, 03:48 PM
Sentiment and intention good, it’s low cost but very low impact.

Actually combatting mental health? Not sure.

The recent budget has seen further cuts to the educational psychologist profession which doesn’t really help if ‘raising awareness’ is their only strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lyonhibs
08-02-2020, 08:22 PM
The things people get themselves all het up about on here never ceases to amaze/despair me. It's a symbolic gesture that might not immediately save anyone's life, but with suicide being THE biggest killer of men under (I think) 50, should anything that at least talks about the importance of looking after self and not being ashamed of asking for help if required really be talked about as "pish"?? :confused:

Is It On....
08-02-2020, 08:41 PM
1 minute to think about mental health, same as the FA Cup a few weeks ago.

Wonder if Kris Boyd will be reflecting on his mis guided attack on LG a few weeks ago..

hibbydog
A small delay to raise a subject isn’t a bad thing, but it’s a bit insulting to give it a measly 1 minute.

I have a very similar gripe about the mental health in the workplace stuff. Wee flyers here and there, a presentation by someone, posters in the kitchen, maybe something on the company websites. It’s just a small token effort to make it look like they care.

If they were really committed to solving the problem they would do more. But they won’t because it takes time and money that they don’t have.

Northernhibee
Apologies if my pish upset some snowflakes, point then is why wasn't this mentioned at all on match info or tickets...all state 12 noon kick off.

Least this thread got some attention, we've all had to deal with mental health, personally or otherwise...
“Snowflakes” :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Johnny_Leith
08-02-2020, 09:10 PM
“Snowflakes” :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And yet was infuriated by a 12:01 ko time...

lyonhibs
08-02-2020, 09:28 PM

"snowflakes" :faf::faf::faf: oh the sweet, sweet irony.

tamig
08-02-2020, 09:35 PM
The OP wasn't having a dig at mental health I think that's obvious. FWIW I think it's a brilliant idea. So many people suffering in silence so anything to raise awareness is a good idea

The OP was ignorant in using the term “pish”. Very poor show on his/her part. The character obviously has online access and a quick Google would have revealed all. No case for the defence here.

JimboHibs
08-02-2020, 09:44 PM
A small delay to raise a subject isn’t a bad thing, but it’s a bit insulting to give it a measly 1 minute.

I have a very similar gripe about the mental health in the workplace stuff. Wee flyers here and there, a presentation by someone, posters in the kitchen, maybe something on the company websites. It’s just a small token effort to make it look like they care.

If they were really committed to solving the problem they would do more. But they won’t because it takes time and money that they don’t have.

Yeah agree with all that,does feel very much like a ticking the box exercise,that said atleast this has raised a discussion on the lack of support and services,there is help there but in no way enough.

hibbydog
08-02-2020, 09:51 PM
Yeah agree with all that,does feel very much like a ticking the box exercise,that said atleast this has raised a discussion on the lack of support and services,there is help there but in no way enough.

Won’t stop those good eggs at Hampden giving themselves a pat on the back thinking they’ve done their bit.

08-02-2020, 09:55 PM
Anything to raise even a small bit of awareness on such an important topic is a good thing IMO. Mental health is something we are all affected by one way or another, whether it be you yourself suffering or someone we know suffering. We need to do everything we can to end the stigma and get people to speak up and seek help. With suicide being the biggets killer in men under 45, football is a very good tool to use.

However, I do still feel a lot more needs to be done to tackle mental health. The whole 1 minute thing is good, its highlighted the issue but its only really symbolic. We need to make sure we have the proper help and support structures in place to help those affected.

lord bunberry
08-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Anything to raise even a small bit of awareness on such an important topic is a good thing IMO. Mental health is something we are all affected by one way or another, whether it be you yourself suffering or someone we know suffering. We need to do everything we can to end the stigma and get people to speak up and seek help. With suicide being the biggets killer in men under 45, football is a very good tool to use.

However, I do still feel a lot more needs to be done to tackle mental health. The whole 1 minute thing is good, its highlighted the issue but its only really symbolic. We need to make sure we have the proper help and support structures in place to help those affected.
Well said. There is absolutely no negative aspects to this and I’m struggling to see why anyone is trying to find one.

villahibs
08-02-2020, 10:28 PM

To be fair the first post was just misjudged and lazy.... to continue it like this is a bit strange 🤷*♂️

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2020, 10:31 PM
Great initiative raising awareness of a major killer of our young men.

Stuart93
08-02-2020, 10:42 PM
What a weird OP and a weird reply.

Good initiative good awareness. Nothing more nothing less.

monktonharp
08-02-2020, 11:41 PM
Well said. There is absolutely no negative aspects to this and I’m struggling to see why anyone is trying to find one.
agree with you Lord B. not a subject raised enough. spend a minute, give it a thought at least. there could be someone you know/love is battling with it inwardly?

Vault Boy
09-02-2020, 05:08 AM
"snowflakes" :faf::faf::faf: oh the sweet, sweet irony.

Exactly. I think any apologies to the OP for misunderstanding the 'pish' comment can be retracted. It's exactly this kind of regressive attitude that causes men particularly to bottle up their feelings and not deal with their mental wellbeing. What a horrible attitude to have.

Fortunately the majority of replies are supportive, reasonable and compassionate. It's easy to ignore that when certain individuals try and diminish anything positive, but that's what we should focus on.

Take a minute, think about why a certain friend hasn't reached out in a while. 👏

Allant1981
09-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Take a minute, think about why a certain friend hasn't reached out in a while. 👏

Cause they dont like me!! In all seriousness making more people aware of mental health issues is quite rightly at the forefront just now and if even one person is helped by the clubs doing this then it's a bonus

One Day
09-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Anything that raises awareness and gets people discussing it is a positive thing.

It has got people talking here which is positive

Tarrahib
09-02-2020, 08:55 AM
It has got people talking here which is positive
Completely agree w with this poster.:na na:

One Day
09-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Completely agree w with this poster.:na na:

Thank you

Col L
09-02-2020, 01:12 PM
It’s good to see it’s generated some positive chat about mental health on this forum, but watching the game it didn’t seem to have much impact and came across as a bit tokenistic.

They could have made better use of the minute delay with banners, helpline numbers etc, instead it largely went unnoticed.

I work for a mental health charity and there’s a lot of really good work and initiatives to start conversations and let people know what help is available if or when they need it. I’m not convinced ‘Heads Up’ really hit the spot, but at least we are talking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk