Big money

What did we offer?

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 09:51 PM
What did we offer?

£400k according to reports.

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 09:53 PM
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1130926/exclusive-dundee-united-made-big-money-deadline-day-bid-for-kevin-nisbet/

sauzee=legend
07-02-2020, 09:53 PM
£500,000 we offered on our 4th bid on deadline day.
Source - the person who sent the bid to Dunfermline.

Stuart93
07-02-2020, 09:58 PM

Really? Really big money for us too

Good signs for the summer

DetroitHibs
See what we are made of in the summer. Hope we can snag him.

Stuart93

I reckon come the summer he’ll be out of our reach. Championship team will snap him up is my guess

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 09:59 PM
I reckon come the summer he’ll be out of our reach. Championship team will snap him up is my guess

I agree. Or one of the uglies.

The 90+2
07-02-2020, 09:59 PM

Why not bid now?

The 90+2
07-02-2020, 10:00 PM

Again there’s nothing stopping us bid now. Gamble on Donkey Kong being sold.

DetroitHibs
07-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Why not bid now?

Totally agree, not sure we can or not. To be fair we should have struck a deal well before deadline day. Even if it meant him staying at the Pars until the end of the season, or giving them Shaw.

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 10:04 PM
Why not bid now?

Even if that's allowed, and I'm not sure it is, what would be the point?

We can't sign anyone until the summer so another club could bid more.

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2020, 10:06 PM

And that person is happy for you to out them on .net?

Smartie
07-02-2020, 10:09 PM
There's absolutely no chance we'll get him in the summer, that ship has sailed.

Best we can hope for there is that he turns out pish, he's had his hot streak and we've dodged a bullet.

United will be up, will probably have a few quid in their pocket from flogging Shankland and will have the clout and desire to blow us out the water.

The spotlight will really be on our recruitment team to succeed where they have failed miserably over the past couple of summers.

At risk of this all sounding hopelessly negative, I do think a good few of our problems are down to unease between the managers (Lennon and Heckingbottom) and the recruitment team. Hunch just tells me that Ross is more likely to be on the same page as them, so I do actually hold out a bit of hope that we'll have a fair idea of what we need going into the summer and will recruit appropriately and accordingly.

I do think we're going to have to contemplate some pretty uncomfortable departures though - good goalkeepers, legendary defenders, hot and cold midfielders and possibly a high-scoring striker amongst our summer activity out the way.

sauzee=legend
07-02-2020, 10:11 PM
Wouldn’t have a clue.
Was in hospitality last weekend and had the chance to speak to important members of staff at the club and the subject of Nesbit, Hunberi and transfer window came up.
They advised how high they went but Dunfermline kept saying no.

Zazu62
07-02-2020, 10:13 PM
Why did we leave it so late?

Andy74
07-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Best we can hope for there is that he turns out pish, he's had his hot streak and we've dodged a bullet.

United will be up, will probably have a few quid in their pocket from flogging Shankland and will have the clout and desire to blow us out the water.

The spotlight will really be on our recruitment team to succeed where they have failed miserably over the past couple of summers.

At risk of this all sounding hopelessly negative, I do think a good few of our problems are down to unease between the managers (Lennon and Heckingbottom) and the recruitment team. Hunch just tells me that Ross is more likely to be on the same page as them, so I do actually hold out a bit of hope that we'll have a fair idea of what we need going into the summer and will recruit appropriately and accordingly.

I do think we're going to have to contemplate some pretty uncomfortable departures though - good goalkeepers, legendary defenders, hot and cold midfielders and possibly a high-scoring striker amongst our summer activity out the way.

What a miserable load of nonsense.

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 10:18 PM
Why did we leave it so late?

So we didn't alert other clubs and to put Dunfermline under pressure to accept our bid.

Had we made an offer on, say 15 January, it would certainly have been rejected at that stage. Details of the bid would have been leaked to the press and we would have found ourselves in an even bigger bidding war.

Zazu62
07-02-2020, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;6076259]So we didn't alert other clubs and to put Dunfermline under pressure to accept our bid.

Had we made an offer on, say 15 January, it would certainly have been rejected at that stage. Details of the bid would have been leaked to the press and we would have found ourselves in an even bigger bidding war.[/QUO
TE]

But nisbet could have put a transfer request in? Could have worked in our favour if we bid early as well

Smartie
07-02-2020, 10:20 PM
What a miserable load of nonsense.

Did you read the second last paragraph?

And of the - admittedly - miserable other bits, do you fancy arguing with any of it?

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2020, 10:22 PM
Wouldn’t have a clue.
Was in hospitality last weekend and had the chance to speak to important members of staff at the club and the subject of Nesbit, Hunberi and transfer window came up.
They advised how high they went but Dunfermline kept saying no.

Your first post said the source was the the person who sent the bid to Dunfermline implying it was one person.
Your response says spoke to important members of staff and they advised?
That implies to me that your opening statement of wouldn’t have a clue is probably the most accurate thing you have said.

The 90+2
07-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Even if that's allowed, and I'm not sure it is, what would be the point?

We can't sign anyone until the summer so another club could bid more.

We can sign him now if we wanted. Like Celtic did with Scott Brown.

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;6076259]So we didn't alert other clubs and to put Dunfermline under pressure to accept our bid.

Had we made an offer on, say 15 January, it would certainly have been rejected at that stage. Details of the bid would have been leaked to the press and we would have found ourselves in an even bigger bidding war.[/QUO
TE]

But nisbet could have put a transfer request in? Could have worked in our favour if we bid early as well

He didn't though. He could have done that anytime before the deadline.

Early bids are really only any use if you're either the only club interested, if the team is desperate to sell, or if you're offering silly money.

Dunfermline didn't want to sell regardless of when we put our bid in.

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 10:25 PM
We can sign him now if we wanted. Like Celtic did with Scott Brown.

No we can't.

Brightside
07-02-2020, 10:27 PM
No we can't.

Exactly.

SquashedFrogg
07-02-2020, 10:30 PM

Correct. Hopelessly negative.

Michael
07-02-2020, 11:30 PM
No we can't.

Technically we can sign a player at any time. We can't get his registration transferred until the window opens though.

O'Rourke3
07-02-2020, 11:36 PM
So, 7 days after the transfer deadline there's a story about a failed bid?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2020, 12:13 AM
How long’s he got left on his contract? Why would English championship and the old firm suddenly be interested in a guy that’s only had 1 1/2 good season in the 2nd and 3rd tier?

£500k is pushing the limit for him - we’d only be buying him with the aim on selling him on at a profit in 2 or 3 years, the more we pay the less potential profit.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 12:16 AM
No we can't.

How did Celtic sign Brown then? There’s been zero rule change since then.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 12:19 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/6661737.stm

calumhibee1
08-02-2020, 03:36 AM
Technically we can sign a player at any time. We can't get his registration transferred until the window opens though.

:agree:

We can “sign” whoever we want right now. As in we can get them to sign and commit to being a Hibs player. Even if that means paying a fee. We just can’t technically make them a Hibs player until the summer.

Heisenberg
08-02-2020, 05:02 AM
United will pay massive money for him if they get a good offer for Shankland. Won’t be easy for us in the summer.

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2020, 06:12 AM
United will pay massive money for him if they get a good offer for Shankland. Won’t be easy for us in the summer.

Not so sure. Must be running at a loss to get promoted given their squad. Would use some of the Shankland money if they sell him to clear their debt.

MWHIBBIES
08-02-2020, 06:52 AM
We absolutely can bid for and sign him now. He just couldn't be registered until summer. Amazing that people still don't know this. It happens all the time all over the world.

bigwheel
08-02-2020, 07:08 AM
We absolutely can bid for and sign him now. He just couldn't be registered until summer. Amazing that people still don't know this. It happens all the time all over the world.

True, but the fee would have to be so motivating that it triggered Dunfermline to accept. We don’t have that type of buying power. They will get at least the same in summer...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Allant1981
08-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Happens all the time, not sure why people are saying it cant happen, do people think that players are actually only bought during the transfer window. They are registered then, man city had bought Bernardo silva about 3 or 4 months before the transfer window opened for example

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Does he not have 18 months left on his contract? :confused:

If so, how can we sign him now and register him in the summer? :confused:

DTS
08-02-2020, 07:22 AM

In a similar sense to a pre contract, we can bid Dunfermline can accept and will go through “officially” the day the window opens

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2020, 07:25 AM
In a similar sense to a pre contract, we can bid Dunfermline can accept and will go through “officially” the day the window opens

So we cant just sign him and register him in the summer.

Iggy Pope
08-02-2020, 07:42 AM

He’s not out of contract though regardless of transfer windows. He wouldn’t be able to register for any other club next window until all parties have agreed on the deal, especially Dunfermline.

Heisenberg
08-02-2020, 07:48 AM
Not so sure. Must be running at a loss to get promoted given their squad. Would use some of the Shankland money if they sell him to clear their debt.

If they were willing to bid 500k in January with Shankland still in the squad then I’m fairly sure they’d spend to a similar or higher level in the summer to replace him.

He’d probably go to United and be first choice if Shankland goes, not sure he’d get that at Hibs with Doidge here and on form.

Chuck Rhoades
08-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Did you read the second last paragraph?

And of the - admittedly - miserable other bits, do you fancy arguing with any of it?

I stopped reading after your “at the risk of sounding hopelessly negative”.

Wasn’t a risk, felt that way after your first sentence. Load of dross.

eastcoasthibby
08-02-2020, 08:06 AM
I think 500k for Nisbet is that max to go to in all seriousness if our recruitment are doing there jobs properly we can spend the money elsewhere if it seems like it's going to need more than that to sign him ..can people honestly see us spending in excess of that from our budget on player like that ...Dundee utd will be speculating again by reinvesting in part of what they will get for Shankland so no money to find ..so they can afford it ...!! But don't want us to put all our eggs in one basket ...we have a massive rebuilding job needing done in the summer anyway !!

Heisenberg
08-02-2020, 08:22 AM
I think 500k for Nisbet is that max to go to in all seriousness if our recruitment are doing there jobs properly we can spend the money elsewhere if it seems like it's going to need more than that to sign him ..can people honestly see us spending in excess of that from our budget on player like that ...Dundee utd will be speculating again by reinvesting in part of what they will get for Shankland so no money to find ..so they can afford it ...!! But don't want us to put all our eggs in one basket ...we have a massive rebuilding job needing done in the summer anyway !!

This is where I’m at aswell. Unless Ron is ploughing silly cash in we’ve got other priorities. Nisbet might make the step up but it’s a risk, especially when we’ve got a striker scoring goals regularly already. Rather it was spent on refreshing out back four.

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2020, 08:33 AM
If they were willing to bid 500k in January with Shankland still in the squad then I’m fairly sure they’d spend to a similar or higher level in the summer to replace him.

He’d probably go to United and be first choice if Shankland goes, not sure he’d get that at Hibs with Doidge here and on form.

If the Nisbet bid was accepted they would have accepted one of the bids for Shankland who is worth more now than in the summer - more of his contract left to run. They are virtually assured promotion and could have bedded Nisbett in. In the summer they are likely to cash in on Shankland before securing a replacement. Clubs that they tare biding for players from will know what they got for Shankland and will inflate prices. Why they were so keen to get Nisbett this window.

Ozyhibby
08-02-2020, 08:38 AM
Sad state of affairs that we can’t get this quality of player to Hibs anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 08:39 AM
How did Celtic sign Brown then? There’s been zero rule change since then.

Nisbet still has 18 months on his Dunfermline contact, we can't just sign him.

Celtic offered us £4.4m for Brown.

They didn't just nip in and sign him.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 08:40 AM

Dunfermline have him under contract and didn't want to lose him.

It wasn't just Hibs who couldn't get him.

G B Young
08-02-2020, 08:42 AM
See dundee Utd put a bid in for him after we’d submitted ours

£500k.

Big money

I'm guessing United had a few big bids on the table for Shankland and decided to test the water at the 11th hour to see if they could hook Nisbet as a replacement.

Jones28
08-02-2020, 08:43 AM

We would probably do the same to the old firm if they came in making similar offers for one of our youngsters.

B.H.F.C
08-02-2020, 08:44 AM

Anymore? Is it anything new Hibs not paying that type of fee?

I get that he’s playing in the championship but you’d be talking about paying something close to a club record fee.

Smartie
08-02-2020, 08:53 AM
I stopped reading after your “at the risk of sounding hopelessly negative”.

Wasn’t a risk, felt that way after your first sentence. Load of dross.

If you had, you’d have noticed that I actually expressed a bit of confidence in our ability to do the work required of us this summer.

That work extends beyond securing a marquee signing. Sadly I reckon we’ve slipped to at best the 6th most capable Scottish club of making such a signing and it is a bit sad accepting Championship strikers are out of our reach.

Ozyhibby
08-02-2020, 08:56 AM
The reason Dunfermline can put such a price on him is because they know there are clubs in the championship and League 1 in England who can pay it. That we can no longer compete with these clubs is sad in my opinion. We used to be able to compete with these clubs, now we can’t. Who knows where our decline will stop? Will we start to struggle to compete with league 2 teams? That’s why I think it’s sad.

Ozyhibby
08-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Anymore? Is it anything new Hibs not paying that type of fee?

I get that he’s playing in the championship but you’d be talking about paying something close to a club record fee.

When was that record set?

MWHIBBIES
08-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Because he would continue to play for Dunfermline until he gets registered to play for Hibs. He would sign a Hibs contract to begin 1/7/2020

You can sign players any time you like. 365 days a year. Always have been able to.

Recent example

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50849473

Since452
08-02-2020, 09:00 AM
This is the main reason I don't want them up. The are paying big money on wages. Next season in the premiership they'll be paying more and possibly taking our targets

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Because he would continue to play for Dunfermline until he gets registered to play for Hibs. He would sign a Hibs contract to begin 1/7/2020

You can sign players any time you like. 365 days a year. Always have been able to.

Recent example

Of course you can sign players 365 days a year, but you need to agree a fee first if they have 18 months left as is the case here, if not then you wont sign him and move on to another target.

green day
08-02-2020, 09:12 AM
This is the main reason I don't want them up. The are paying big money on wages. Next season in the premiership they'll be paying more and possibly taking our targets

Only if their owner continues to subsidise them and we have all seen how that particular game can end.

They were desperate to get up as another season in the seaside leagues was going to ruin them. I think they will be spending sensibly in the top league.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Recent example

Liverpool are paying a fee.

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2020, 09:33 AM

Exactly, and both clubs have agreed the fee. Neither Hibs or it appears Dundee United could agree a fee, so neither can sign him just now.

MWHIBBIES
08-02-2020, 09:36 AM

Well yes, if we agreed a fee we could sign him

We're not seriously arguing that are we? Good lord. Obviously thats how it works :faf:

h1bs4life
08-02-2020, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6076420]The reason Dunfermline can put such a price on him is because they know there are clubs in the championship and League 1 in England who can pay it. That we can no longer compete with these clubs is sad in my opinion. We used to be able to compete with these clubs, now we can’t. Who knows where our decline will stop? Will we start to struggle to compete with league 2 teams? That’s why I think it’s sad.

Agreed but money talks, the days of us signing players from Barcelona , Borrusia Dortmund and Englands top flight have long gone.Its not just our decline English lower league can blow most of the teams in our league out of the water with wages. Wouldn't be surprised if all Heckinbottom's signings are all on decent wages
According to a few on here we had a good go at trying to getting Nisbet but couldn't get it done. Dunfermline know a english team will come in for him and pay what we would and the laddie would at least quadruple his wages. Developing your own players which recently we have not been very good at or scouting lower league players and getting them before others notice ( very difficult) is the way for us.

Ozyhibby
08-02-2020, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6076420]The reason Dunfermline can put such a price on him is because they know there are clubs in the championship and League 1 in England who can pay it. That we can no longer compete with these clubs is sad in my opinion. We used to be able to compete with these clubs, now we can’t. Who knows where our decline will stop? Will we start to struggle to compete with league 2 teams? That’s why I think it’s sad.

Agreed but money talks, the days of us signing players from Barcelona , Borrusia Dortmund and Englands top flight have long gone.Its not just our decline English lower league can blow most of the teams in our league out of the water with wages. Wouldn't be surprised if all Heckinbottom's signings are all on decent wages
According to a few on here we had a good go at trying to getting Nisbet but couldn't get it done. Dunfermline know a english team will come in for him and pay what we would and the laddie would at least quadruple his wages. Developing your own players which recently we have not been very good at or scouting lower league players and getting them before others notice ( very difficult) is the way for us.

Managed decline? Doesn’t sound very appealing.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 09:43 AM
Well yes, if we agreed a fee we could sign him

We're not seriously arguing that are we? Good lord. Obviously thats how it works :faf:

The previous poster said we could just sign him.

What's laughable is the idea that Dunfermline would agree a fee that we'd offer for a player with 18 months left on his contract.

Eyrie
08-02-2020, 09:59 AM
I said to a Dundee United supporting mate that they should take any £3m offer for Shankland because they'd already almost guaranteed promotion, and that they could look at Nisbet as a replacement (admittedly before transfer deadline day saw bids of £500k).

He didn't think that was a good idea and actually believes that they should hold onto Shankland for next season, despite needing a good fee to clear debt and strengthen their squad.

B.H.F.C
08-02-2020, 10:12 AM
When was that record set?

About 20 years ago. And it was paid at a time when we nearly got ourselves in to serious trouble with the money we were paying.

You said it was a sad state of affairs when we can’t get this player to Hibs anymore. I don’t think we’ve ever shelled out that type of money for a player at that level though.

chrisski33
08-02-2020, 10:22 AM
500k is good fee for nisbet but wouldnt pay nore tbh. Nothing to say we wouldnt get him in the summer. Hows his form been in the last month?

Unseen work
08-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Nisbet would make the step up to this league no problem at all, don’t worry about that.

Really hope we get him in the summer.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Nisbet would make the step up to this league no problem at all, don’t worry about that.

Really hope we get him in the summer.

It’s easy to say that but the facts say he’s had a cracking season in league one and a really good start to his half season in the championship. He’s 23 soon and the sum of it is he’s done well for 18 months.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 11:57 AM
Nisbet still has 18 months on his Dunfermline contact, we can't just sign him.

Celtic offered us £4.4m for Brown.

They didn't just nip in and sign him.

If we offer them an acceptable bid then we can sign him now. I think that’s the point.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 11:58 AM
500k is good fee for nisbet but wouldnt pay nore tbh. Nothing to say we wouldnt get him in the summer. Hows his form been in the last month?

Scored a peach against dunfy last week.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2020, 12:00 PM
It’s easy to say that but the facts say he’s had a cracking season in league one and a really good start to his half season in the championship. He’s 23 soon and the sum of it is he’s done well for 18 months.

Absolutely this.

No one can be certain of anything when it comes to football, it's all just guesswork. Historically there are plenty of good goal scorers at lower levels have failed to cut it in the top flight.

The size of fee mentioned and the wages, which would have made Nisbet one of the best paid players at the club. A big, big gamble .

oneone73
08-02-2020, 12:01 PM

Was it an OG?

Alex Trager
08-02-2020, 12:12 PM

You sure amigo? ;-)

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 12:25 PM
You sure amigo? ;-)

Aye I meant for them against Dundee 😂😂😂😂

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 12:27 PM
The previous poster said we could just sign him.

What's laughable is the idea that Dunfermline would agree a fee that we'd offer for a player with 18 months left on his contract.

Who said we could just sign him?

We could bid for him right now, have the bid accepted and agree terms with him to sign him in the summer in the next five minutes if we wanted.

Why is it laughable that Dunfermline would agree a fee with us for the player? We did with Celtic with Brown.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Was it an OG?

Aye was a peach 😃

Jones28
08-02-2020, 12:43 PM
I said to a Dundee United supporting mate that they should take any £3m offer for Shankland because they'd already almost guaranteed promotion, and that they could look at Nisbet as a replacement (admittedly before transfer deadline day saw bids of £500k).

He didn't think that was a good idea and actually believes that they should hold onto Shankland for next season, despite needing a good fee to clear debt and strengthen their squad.

They’d bonkers not to take the money that will be offered for Shankland come the summer. Wipe their debts, strengthen their squad and put them on the kind of level we are on with regards to affording signings. That is, until RG announces his 5 year mega investment plan at the AGM.

CMurdoch
08-02-2020, 12:48 PM
We all saw over 2 games recently that Dundee Utd are a poor team other than Shankland and their keeper.
Accordingly they will require to recruit a number of better players in the summer to avoid tumbling back into the championship.

The only way to pay for improved recruits is to sell Shankland.
I don't expect them to get more than £1 million for him.
They have taken a big risk by not selling him in January given a bad injury before the summer could scupper their carefully laid plans. Dunfermline are taking a similar risk with Nisbet with the additional one that his 18 month run of form could dry up.

IMO Dundee United should have sold Shankland in January (if they actually received a decent offer, think they would have snapped the arm of anyone offering £2 million). They are home and hosed and could have removed the sale risk from the equation as well as saving themselves £5k a week. £1 million and £5k a week is too rich for Hibs so can't see him being an option.

As for Nisbet i haven't seen enough of him to form a valid opinion but the size of Hibs offer would suggest he has something.
Turning the offers down shows Dunfermline are also confident that he has something and can get at least £500k for him in the summer given they have little chance of promotion this season. Hibs along with lots of other teams will be keeping a close watch on him between now and the end of the season and Hibs could certainly afford £500k. What is for certain is Hibs will be needing a quality foil for Doidge given Kamberi will be sold and McNulty will go back to his big wages at Reading. However, if Nisbet is exceptional someone with deeper pockets will jump in ahead of us.

P.S. Doidge looking a steal at £250k

Keith_M
08-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Could somebody explain to me how it is that we could sign him now?

If he was a free-agent in the summer we could get him on a pre-contract... but he's not.

If we wanted to make a deal with Dunfermline just now and register him as a Hibs player in June, the Pars would only agree to this if they were: a) desperate for the cash immediately; b) didn't think they had any chance of getting a better deal in the summer.... I doubt either of those apply

MikeyS
08-02-2020, 01:00 PM

I will be amazed if they get even half that amount for someone scoring goals in the Scottish 1st Division.

Lago
08-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Your first post said the source was the the person who sent the bid to Dunfermline implying it was one person.
Your response says spoke to important members of staff and they advised?
That implies to me that your opening statement of wouldn’t have a clue is probably the most accurate thing you have said.
In the greater scheme of things does it really matter, it's all history now. 🙄

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 01:57 PM
If we offer them an acceptable bid then we can sign him now. I think that’s the point.

That's not what you said, but unless we offered a stupid amount of money, Dunfermline will say no.

If it was as simple as you suggested, it would be happening frequently. Teams don't want to pay over the odds and that's what it would take to sign a player outwith the transfer window.

we are hibs
08-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Dont know where this myth has come from that Dunfermline have little chance of promotion. Theyre in a play off spot.

Speedway
08-02-2020, 02:02 PM
£3m plus Doidge and Boyle will secure Nisbet in the summer.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 02:22 PM
That's not what you said, but unless we offered a stupid amount of money, Dunfermline will say no.

If it was as simple as you suggested, it would be happening frequently. Teams don't want to pay over the odds and that's what it would take to sign a player outwith the transfer window.

My first post on this thread said “why don’t we bid for him”. My second post made a comparison of Celtic signing Brown when I’m contract. You assumed incorrectly.

We bid a suitable price for the club, player, agent then if they turned it down you have an unhappy player and a agent wanting more money for his contract, there’s also the danger of a player getting injured.

I don’t know why we would have to pay over the odds now but not in the summer? We have a better chance of signing the player for next year now than we do if he has a stormer until the summer.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Who said we could just sign him?

We could bid for him right now, have the bid accepted and agree terms with him to sign him in the summer in the next five minutes if we wanted.

Why is it laughable that Dunfermline would agree a fee with us for the player? We did with Celtic with Brown.

Why do you think it doesn't happen more often?

Here's a clue: Celtic offered Hibs a Scottish record transfer fee.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 02:36 PM
My first post on this thread said “why don’t we bid for him”. My second post made a comparison of Celtic signing Brown when I’m contract. You assumed incorrectly.

We bid a suitable price for the club, player, agent then if they turned it down you have an unhappy player and a agent wanting more money for his contract, there’s also the danger of a player getting injured.

I don’t know why we would have to pay over the odds now but not in the summer? We have a better chance of signing the player for next year now than we do if he has a stormer until the summer.

Ok. Great idea. You're a visionary.

Probably best you drop the club an email about it.

Let us know how it goes.

matty_f
08-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Could somebody explain to me how it is that we could sign him now?

If he was a free-agent in the summer we could get him on a pre-contract... but he's not.

If we wanted to make a deal with Dunfermline just now and register him as a Hibs player in June, the Pars would only agree to this if they were: a) desperate for the cash immediately; b) didn't think they had any chance of getting a better deal in the summer.... I doubt either of those apply

Basically we could agree a fee with Dunfermline and terms with the player to join in June, that's how we could do it.

Whether or not Dunfermline would be agreeable to that is another matter, but it can be done.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 02:42 PM

Does it matter if it happens regularly or not?

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Does it matter if it happens regularly or not?

The reason it doesn't happen more regularly matters.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Ok. Great idea. You're a visionary.

Probably best you drop the club an email about it.

Let us know how it goes.

Yesterday you weren’t sure we could bid for him right now so I hope they are more clued up than you are. This is going to go round and round now you’re acting the smartarse even though you got it wrong. Best just leave it as it is.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 02:58 PM
The reason it doesn't happen more regularly matters.

Okay 👍

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Basically we could agree a fee with Dunfermline and terms with the player to join in June, that's how we could do it.

Whether or not Dunfermline would be agreeable to that is another matter, but it can be done.

What? We can sign him now for the summer? Hold the fort 💪

danhibees1875
08-02-2020, 03:04 PM

:agree:

Presumably a gamble for either party as he could have a great second half of the season or a terrible one.

Is this what happened with the Ross county player who then changed his mind? I think St Johnstone may have been involved.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Yesterday you weren’t sure we could bid for him right now so I hope they are more clued up than you are. This is going to go round and round now you’re acting the smartarse even though you got it wrong. Best just leave it as it is.

:faf:

jgl07
08-02-2020, 03:07 PM

It’s a good job that Hibs didn’t accept the offer from Rangers of £1.5 million for Brown and Thomson?

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 03:12 PM
It’s a good job that Hibs didn’t accept the offer from Rangers of £1.5 million for Brown and Thomson?

Indeed.

We eventually received £6.4m for the pair and that was despite massive pressure from the media and from the agents involved.

Petrie never got the credit he deserved for that.

Keith_M
08-02-2020, 04:47 PM

Cheers Matty... but that's my point, I can't see any reason why the Pars would feel they would have to agree.

Maybe calling for the club to make a bid is fair enough, but some people are saying they see no reason why we don't just sign him.

Smartie
08-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Cheers Matty... but that's my point, I can't see any reason why the Pars would feel they would have to agree.

Maybe calling for the club to make a bid is fair enough, but some people are saying they see no reason why we don't just sign him.

Maybe they would be happy knowing in advance how much they were getting and when they were getting it, making their own preparation for next season a bit easier?

lucky
08-02-2020, 06:04 PM
I’d be surprised that the Pars could afford to knock £500k for any player

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Who is saying that? Nobody has.

Some have said he will never be affordable in the summer, it’s countered by bid for him and sign him now. Nothing is guaranteed for Dunfermline in the summer and plenty can happen between now and then, cold hard cash to them and a friendly in the summer is a lot for a club not great financially.

Keith_M
08-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Who is saying that? Nobody has.

Some have said he will never be affordable in the summer, it’s countered by bid for him and sign him now. Nothing is guaranteed for Dunfermline in the summer and plenty can happen between now and then, cold hard cash to them and a friendly in the summer is a lot for a club not great financially.

Posts like "we can sign him now if we want to", seemed to be suggesting that.

If that's not what the comment meant, then I'll take that on board... but you can surely see how it sounds like the poster is suggesting it's a lot more straightforward than it actually is.

Smartie
08-02-2020, 06:29 PM
I’d be surprised that the Pars could afford to knock £500k for any player

I’m quite chuffed for them if they can, given what they’ve been through over the past decade.

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Posts like "we can sign him now if we want to", seemed to be suggesting that.

If that's not what the comment meant, then I'll take that on board... but you can surely see how it sounds like the poster is suggesting it's a lot more straightforward than it actually is.

We can sign him now if we have a bid accepted for him though? And cool. Respect your view and makes sense 👍

Iggy Pope
08-02-2020, 07:04 PM
I’ve read maybe six of the most slavering, sparryheided posts of my .net puff right here here on this thread. Lucky for me I can’t see those I’m ignoring.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 07:25 PM
I’ve read maybe six of the most slavering, sparryheided posts of my .net puff right here here on this thread. Lucky for me I can’t see those I’m ignoring.

:tee hee:

The 90+2
08-02-2020, 07:33 PM
:tee hee:

I’m shocked with your reply 😂😂😂

Hibbyradge
08-02-2020, 08:01 PM
I’m shocked with your reply 😂😂😂

You are a strange boy, Rocky.

lyonhibs
08-02-2020, 08:16 PM

You are nothing if not wonderfully consistent. Didn't even have to look at the username, knew it was your fine self from the first 2 sentences :faf::faf:

Smartie
08-02-2020, 08:56 PM
You are nothing if not wonderfully consistent. Didn't even have to look at the username, knew it was your fine self from the first 2 sentences :faf::faf:

Once more, may I refer you to the second last paragraph.

I’m down on Hibs at the moment because I think we’ve been a shambles for 18 months or so and I’m not happy we’ve regressed so far from what should have been a very strong position.

In my opinion we should have been signing Shankland and after the success of that move subsequently signing Nisbet. Everything about about these players smacked of the success of the signings we made whilst in the Championship.

The damage has been done and I think it is sheer fantasy to think we’ll manage to get this player in the summer. His stock is too high for us now.

I did say that I have a bit more confidence in the ability our new manager and recruitment team to work together to start building again, and we need a big rebuild but that we will need to see some higher earners leave to fund any changes.

Like everyone, I know nothing about our new owner or his plans but I’m just a wee bit wary.

HibbySpurs
09-02-2020, 09:15 AM

So now we have less financial clout than the mighty Dundee Utd 🙄

Really?

Since452
09-02-2020, 09:18 AM

Really?

Not much between the teams as it stands. Shankland on 5/6k per week

MWHIBBIES
09-02-2020, 09:34 AM
Not much between the teams as it stands. Shankland on 5/6k per week

There is definitely loads between them. Do we need to sell Doidge in the summer to afford new players? No. They apparently need to sell Shankland. That's a huge difference.

They are spending crazy money to get promoted.

Smartie
09-02-2020, 09:37 AM

Really?

They were signing Shankland whilst we started the season with no midfielders who could tackle and 2 senior strikers (one of whom we ended up loaning to Sevco in January to help address deficiencies elsewhere).

I don't know how much of it is clout and how much of it is incompetence but after 3 years in the Championship I'd suggest their direction of travel is positive whereas ours is debatable at best.

Heisenberg
09-02-2020, 09:42 AM
They were signing Shankland whilst we started the season with no midfielders who could tackle and 2 senior strikers (one of whom we ended up loaning to Sevco in January to help address deficiencies elsewhere).

I don't know how much of it is clout and how much of it is incompetence but after 3 years in the Championship I'd suggest their direction of travel is positive whereas ours is debatable at best.

Every other premiership team also didn’t sign Shankland, not sure you can really blame Hibs for not taking the chance on him at 5k a week. Our main striker signing has scored a good number of goals, probably the best striker we’ve signed in ages actually.

I do agree that the recruitment team have had two shocking summer transfer windows in a row though. Massive improvements needed this time around.

Smartie
09-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Every other premiership team also didn’t sign Shankland, not sure you can really blame Hibs for not taking the chance on him at 5k a week. Our main striker signing has scored a good number of goals, probably the best striker we’ve signed in ages actually.

I do agree that the recruitment team have had two shocking summer transfer windows in a row though. Massive improvements needed this time around.

In fairness, the Doidge point is a good one - his form and goals have undoubtedly been a high point and probably the recruitment team's greatest achievement in recent years.

And I accept your point re other teams and Shankland but don't you think the fact that United signed him, he's continued to do the business and in all likelihood they'll get a decent wedge of cash in the summer for him confirms that with hindsight we should have gone for him? And especially given that cash probably puts them in the driving seat to sign Nisbet who at this stage looks likely to be the next in line to put in that sort of performance?

All transfers carry risk and there are no guarantees but I struggle to accept that these are not players Hibs should be signing. They are "investment" types and we seem to have an over-reliance on short-term patch up jobs. That was the trademark of the Fenlon era (not down to Pat himself per se but the fact that his predecessor was dire and these moves were necessary) and what we successfully managed to get away from under Stubbs.

Jim44
09-02-2020, 01:37 PM
There’ll be a lot more competition for Nisbet’s signature than us and DUtd. in summer.

Danderhall Hibs
09-02-2020, 04:59 PM
There’ll be a lot more competition for Nisbet’s signature than us and DUtd. in summer.

Why? Are we increasing the hype by making a bid?

Keith_M
09-02-2020, 05:14 PM
We can sign him now if we have a bid accepted for him though? And cool. Respect your view and makes sense 👍

Cheers Bud, didn't mean to start an argument and I probably misunderstood the comment.

:aok:

Jim44
09-02-2020, 05:17 PM
Why? Are we increasing the hype by making a bid?

No, but I think Nisbet, himself, will increase the hype over the next few months.

JohnM1875
09-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Who's spending more than 500k on a player who plays in the second tier of Scottish football?

The 90+2
09-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Cheers Bud, didn't mean to start an argument and I probably misunderstood the comment.

:aok:

No bother at all mate :aok:

LustForLeith
09-02-2020, 05:38 PM
I backed him to be top scorer in the Championship at the start so I’m chuffed he’s staying at the Pars