PDA

View Full Version : Paul McGinn

RossScott1991
06-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Not sure if discussed elsewhere but just wanted to point out how impressed I was with him last night. Kept Kent quiet throughout (who is vastly overrated) and put on a solid display.. Judging by comments I have seen from St Mirren fans since he left we may have a new Mr Reliable / Consistency at us. Nothing flashy just committed and knows how to defend. Should be first choice RB going forward. Potentially in certain games be interested to see how he would do in a CDM role.

Smartie
06-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Not sure if discussed elsewhere but just wanted to point out how impressed I was with him last night. Kept Kent quiet throughout (who is vastly overrated) and put on a solid display.. Judging by comments I have seen from St Mirren fans since he left we may have a new Mr Reliable / Consistency at us. Nothing flashy just committed and knows how to defend.

Kent is a bit inconsistent but on his day he is a brilliant player.

It is to McGinn’s great credit that he had a quiet evening.

Hermit Crab
06-02-2020, 12:35 PM
Not sure if discussed elsewhere but just wanted to point out how impressed I was with him last night. Kept Kent quiet throughout (who is vastly overrated) and put on a solid display.. Judging by comments I have seen from St Mirren fans since he left we may have a new Mr Reliable / Consistency at us. Nothing flashy just committed and knows how to defend. Should be first choice RB going forward. Potentially in certain games be interested to see how he would do in a CDM role.

He was excellent, a stand out actually and to think some on here we disgusted with that "type" of signing and wanted him nowhere near the club..... Captain material imo.

Brightside
06-02-2020, 12:41 PM
He is exactly what we needed strong and steady. Does the basics very well.

drumatic44
06-02-2020, 12:42 PM
How about ?
we've got McGinn, super Paul McGinn
I just don't think you understand,
his brother John has gone, so we've had to change the song.
we've got super Paul McGinn. !!

Vault Boy
06-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Looking good. Strong and important acquisition in an area we were struggling in with Naismith's unfortunate injury.

Oscar T Grouch
06-02-2020, 12:43 PM
How about ?

Aye that is pretty brilliant :greengrin

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Theresa May type signing. He’s got a great attitude and done well last night though.

Diclonius
06-02-2020, 12:46 PM
How about ?

Yes

Vault Boy
06-02-2020, 12:47 PM
How about ?
his brother John has gone, we've had to change the song.

Taking out the 'so' just so it fits better, but I really like that. :greengrin

1van Sprou7e
06-02-2020, 12:47 PM
How about ?

That is pretty good, but as good as a defender I'm sure he will turn out to be for us I don't think the song fits a players like that

Since452
06-02-2020, 12:49 PM
He'll be our signing of the season. Mr consistent

Barman Stanton
06-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Been really impressed with him so far. Not sure about using Johns song for him though. That should be retired and a new one made for Paul.

Unseen work
06-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Was a lot more composed on the ball and quicker than I expected.

Done a brilliant overlap in the first half and looked rapid.

MrRobot
06-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Theresa May type signing. He’s got a great attitude and done well last night though.

What in the hell is a Theresa May type signing? :greengrin

Diclonius
06-02-2020, 01:23 PM
What in the hell is a Theresa May type signing? :greengrin

I'm guessing it's a reference to "strong and stable".

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 01:25 PM

👍

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Arguably our best player last night.

Barring injury, he’ll be our right back for the rest of the season.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 01:28 PM
How about ?

It's a good effort.

I'm not sure we should be singing songs about us singing/making songs though.

MrRobot
06-02-2020, 01:29 PM

Hoping hes a bit stronger and more stable than her :greengrin

Is It On....
06-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Nice to have a thread with the name "McGinn" in it.

neil7908
06-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Must admit I was sceptical when he was linked with us but great to hear that he's impressing.

1van Sprou7e
06-02-2020, 03:59 PM
He'll be our signing of the season. Mr consistent

He'll do well to surpass doidge tbh

GreenPJ
06-02-2020, 04:20 PM
He'll do well to surpass doidge tbh

McGinn on the right, put in a cheeky bid for Taylor for left back to challenge Lewis and we are looking good.

Peevemor
06-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Was a lot more composed on the ball and quicker than I expected.

Done a brilliant overlap in the first half and looked rapid.He said a couple of times in his Hibs TV interview that he was pretty fast and faster than he looks.

Captain Trips
06-02-2020, 05:08 PM
Looks like a very astute bit of business.

jacomo
06-02-2020, 05:16 PM
He was excellent, a stand out actually and to think some on here we disgusted with that "type" of signing and wanted him nowhere near the club..... Captain material imo.

“Not the player to take us where Hibs want to go” is one of my favourite bits of nonsense.

I will settle for signing players that improve us. Seems like PM fits the bill. And if we always sign players that improve us, then we are in for good times ahead.

JohnM1875
06-02-2020, 05:18 PM
McGinn on the right, put in a cheeky bid for Taylor for left back to challenge Lewis and we are looking good.

Agree!

RB: McGinn/Naismith if we sign him
CB: Hanlon/Daz
CB: Jackosn/Porto
LB: Lewie/Taylor

Would be great. Ideally sign another CB as cover/starter and SDG to throw in when fully fit and match sharp and that is more than decent.

Smartie
06-02-2020, 05:21 PM
Who is Taylor?

Surely not the guy at Celtic?

Carheenlea
06-02-2020, 05:24 PM
It actually highlights how poor we have been defensively when a player who is simply a decent and dependable pro steps in and immediately looks a stand out.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 05:30 PM
It actually highlights how poor we have been defensively when a player who is simply a decent and dependable pro steps in and immediately looks a stand out.

See where you’re coming from but we are about starting from scratch really. Getting to a point where we are solid and dependable defensively would be a huge improvement.

Take Stevenson as an example. Solid and dependable is probably how a lot of people would describe him but he’s been anything but this season IMO.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 05:43 PM

He did well, but he's getting such a lot of praise partly because people were paying attention to him without prejudging him. They also want him to do well.

Unlike what happens with Lewis, who also had a good game last night, but people look for anything he might do that he can be criticised for. Some people actively want him to do badly.

To make myself clear, I'm very pleased that we signed Paul and have been since the story came out.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 05:53 PM
He did well, but he's getting such a lot of praise partly because people were paying attention to him without prejudging him. They also want him to do well.

Unlike what happens with Lewis, who also had a good game last night, but people look for anything he might do that he can be criticised for. Some people actively want him to do badly.

To make myself clear, I'm very pleased that we signed Paul and have been since they story came out.

Lewis didn’t have a good game last night. Gave the ball away constantly.

McGinn is getting praise because he did well, so much so the took Kent off when looking for a winner.

No proper Hibs supporter wants him to play badly. Utter nonsense. Some folk just refuse to accept when he does play badly.

Captain Trips
06-02-2020, 06:04 PM
“Not the player to take us where Hibs want to go” is one of my favourite bits of nonsense.

I will settle for signing players that improve us. Seems like PM fits the bill. And if we always sign players that improve us, then we are in for good times ahead.

That is nonsense, a defender who doesn't make many mistakes will take us exactly were we need to go. PM may prove to be more than decent I think he will be and it is other areas that will decide our fate not the RB.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 06:09 PM

McGinn is getting praise because he did well, so much so the took Kent off when looking for a winner.

No proper Hibs supporter wants him to play badly. Utter nonsense. Some folk just refuse to accept when he does play badly.

I paid particular attention to Lewis last night because I knew people would be criticising him on here today and I wanted to see whether I was being overly protective of him.

However, he was very good and did some exceptional things to protect our goal.

If you've got Hibs TV I would recommend that you watch the game again. Not with an eye to proving me wrong/ you right, but with an objective, neutral eye.

Lewis saved us time and time again.

Edit: And there really are folk who want him to fail, unfortunately.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 06:10 PM
That is nonsense, a defender who doesn't make many mistakes will take us exactly were we need to go. PM may prove to be more than decent I think he will be and it is other areas that will decide our fate not the RB.

That's what he said! :hilarious

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 06:12 PM
I paid particular attention to Lewis last night because I knew people would be criticising him on here today and I wanted to see whether I was being overly protective of him.

However, he was very good and did some exceptional things to protect our goal.

If you've got Hibs TV I would recommend that you watch the game again. Not with an eye to proving me wrong/ you right, but with an objective, neutral eye.

Lewis saved us time and time again.

I don’t need to watch it again. I was there and saw it all with my own eyes.

Our biggest problem was keeping the ball and he was the worst culprit for just kicking it away in the general direction he was facing.

If he was good I’d say. If he’s bad I’ll say. Last night he was not good. Nothing to do with wanting him to be bad.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 06:26 PM
I don’t need to watch it again. I was there and saw it all with my own eyes.

Our biggest problem was keeping the ball and he was the worst culprit for just kicking it away in the general direction he was facing.

If he was good I’d say. If he’s bad I’ll say. Last night he was not good. Nothing to do with wanting him to be bad.

I wasn't refering to you re wanting him to be bad.

Did you notice all the excellent things he did?

A second look might give you a new perspective.

But I realise you won't so we'll just have to disagree.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 06:31 PM
I wasn't refering to you re wanting him to be bad.

Did you notice all the excellent things he did?

A second look might give you a new perspective.

But I realise you won't so we'll just have to disagree.

I didn’t think there were many excellent things, to be honest. What were they?

He dug in like he always does. Probably made a number of blocks. But his overall performance was poor for me. As it has been most of the time lately.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 06:33 PM
I didn’t think there were many excellent things, to be honest. What were they?

He dug in like he always does. Probably made a number of blocks. But his overall performance was poor for me. As it has been most of the time lately.

Loads of great blocks, chasing back and harrying, good tackles, making himself available.

Let's just leave it there because we're just going to go round in circles.

I'm 109% certain in what I have said. You feel the same.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Loads of great blocks, chasing back and harrying, good tackles, making himself available.

And that constitutes excellent? That’s the least I’d expect and thought the actual quality of what he did, particularly with the ball, was poor throughout.

tamig
06-02-2020, 06:46 PM

An “embarrassment” I recall some hysterical folk saying when we were initially linked with him.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 06:59 PM
An “embarrassment” I recall some hysterical folk saying when we were initially linked with him.

That's right!

It was embarrassing because we didn't pay a shed load of cash for him. :faf:

Since452
06-02-2020, 07:03 PM

Probably because Hearts had signed Boyce on big money and McGinn was seen as unfashionable. Said at the time McGinn will be an excellent signing. Think he'll absolutely flourish at Hibs

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2020, 07:16 PM

Going by what you say, then nobody had a good game last night as they all gave the ball away all night, in fact we struggled to make 2 or 3 passes together all night?

What we did as a team though,was work hard press and put them under pressure whenever they had the ball, everyone.

Billy Whizz
06-02-2020, 07:22 PM
Must be a few other gems like Paul McGinn in the Scottish leagues

Think he also gives us the opportunity to go 352

06-02-2020, 07:35 PM
How about ?

Taking out the 'so' just so it fits better, but I really like that. :greengrin

Just what I thought when I read it. Drop the "so" and it's perfect.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Going by what you say, then nobody had a good game last night as they all gave the ball away all night, in fact we struggled to make 2 or 3 passes together all night?

What we did as a team though,was work hard press and put them under pressure whenever they had the ball, everyone.

We did work hard as a team, we did that side of the game well. Still thought he was more guilty than anybody of giving the ball away cheaply, often not under pressure.

Chuck in the fact he was lucky to avoid a red card. I just didn’t think he was good.

Since452
06-02-2020, 07:45 PM
Must be a few other gems like Paul McGinn in the Scottish leagues

Think he also gives us the opportunity to go 352

Stephen McGinn 😉

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2020, 08:09 PM
We did work hard as a team, we did that side of the game well. Still thought he was more guilty than anybody of giving the ball away cheaply, often not under pressure.

Chuck in the fact he was lucky to avoid a red card. I just didn’t think he was good.

Nah, no more guilty than anyone else at giving the ball away. No idea what not getting sent off means towards him playing well or badly?

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 08:27 PM
Nah, no more guilty than anyone else at giving the ball away. No idea what not getting sent off means towards him playing well or badly?

It was just an example of him being rash. Wasn’t just him at that point of the game, we did a better job of seeing the game out for them, than they did, by giving away stupid needless fouls.

Won’t change my mind on it, from my seat I thought he was particularly guilty of giving the ball away consistently.

Others obviously disagree, but I thought he was one of our poorer performers last night.

greenlex
06-02-2020, 08:40 PM
Probably the best I have ever seen on .net

I bloody like it too.👏👏👏👏

Hermit Crab
06-02-2020, 08:40 PM

It was his pish free kick that led to the free kick for Rangers equaliser, we had a free kick inside the rangers half on the touchline with a minute to half time, he just kicked it out for a bye kick, rangers took it quickly and got it forward and LS was then out of position meaning Hanlon had to come across and cover giving away the foul on Morelos.

sadtom
06-02-2020, 08:41 PM

Or maybe he was wearing '$h@g me' boots?

Jonnyboy
06-02-2020, 09:19 PM
It was his pish free kick that led to the free kick for Rangers equaliser, we had a free kick inside the rangers half on the touchline with a minute to half time, he just kicked it out for a bye kick, rangers took it quickly and got it forward and LS was then out of position meaning Hanlon had to come across and cover giving away the foul on Morelos.

So the ball travelled the full length of the park and then Paul stupidly fouled Morelos? Nah, it was Stevenson's fault :faf:

Unseen work
06-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Invest in the Scottish leagues! It works

Pre contract
Alex Gogic
Mickel Miller
Gary Dicker
Andy Halliday
Tom Grivosti

Fee required
Jason Kerr
Alistair McCann
Kevin Nisbet
Greg Docherty
Ross Stewart

AlbertK86
06-02-2020, 09:31 PM
How about ?

Brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
06-02-2020, 09:34 PM
So the ball travelled the full length of the park and then Paul stupidly fouled Morelos? Nah, it was Stevenson's fault :faf:

It was PH's fault that the free kick they scored from was awarded but if LS hadn't launched our FK out for a goal kick we would have never been in the position of defending a dangerous free kick 30 seconds from HT.

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2020, 09:43 PM

Looks the part. Great Signing.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 09:52 PM
It was PH's fault that the free kick they scored from was awarded but if LS hadn't launched our FK out for a goal kick we would have never been in the position of defending a dangerous free kick 30 seconds from HT.

That's pathetic.

Lewis didn't just launch it out of the park. He played the ball forward for Newell to chase, but the Rangers' defender beat him to it and ushered it out of the park.

If Newell hadn't turned his back on the keeper, he might have been able to stop the quick free kick. Had that been Stevenson, you'd be all over him for not paying attention or something inane like that.

Eyrie
06-02-2020, 09:53 PM

By that logic Morelos gets an assist for fouling Stevenson to concede the free kick to set up their goal kick to create the situation where Morelos was able to be fouled to allow them to put the ball into our box.

A cunning plan.

JammyDoidger
07-02-2020, 01:51 AM

Pre contract
Alex Gogic
Mickel Miller
Gary Dicker
Andy Halliday
Tom Grivosti

Fee required
Jason Kerr
Alistair McCann
Kevin Nisbet
Greg Docherty
Ross Stewart

if we signed all them we would probably get relegated. Docherty is about the only one that would be a guaranteed starter and he's already at us.

Perd Hapley
07-02-2020, 02:38 AM

Pre contract
Alex Gogic
Mickel Miller
Gary Dicker
Andy Halliday
Tom Grivosti

Fee required
Jason Kerr
Alistair McCann
Kevin Nisbet
Greg Docherty
Ross Stewart

Good one man, but the pleasure of singing the Halliday song at games completely unrelated to rangers and the 21st of May far outweighs anything the guy could ever give us as a signing imho

danhibees1875
07-02-2020, 06:45 AM
By that logic Morelos gets an assist for fouling Stevenson to concede the free kick to set up their goal kick to create the situation where Morelos was able to be fouled to allow them to put the ball into our box.

A cunning plan.

Stevenson shouldn't have allowed himself to be fouled so easily.

Jones28
07-02-2020, 06:59 AM
Who is Taylor?

Surely not the guy at Celtic?

Yeah, total fantasy stuff.

Hibbyradge
07-02-2020, 08:40 AM

:hilarious

:top marks

Bronson
07-02-2020, 04:53 PM
I’ll eat humble pie on this one. Said it was a shan signing when it was announced as it felt underwhelming and unimaginative but he really impressed me at ibrox.

More of the same please Paul.

Eyrie
07-02-2020, 07:23 PM

:grr:

PS: :not worth