PDA

View Full Version : Are you confident we'll finish in the top six?

G B Young
06-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Personally I've been impressed enough by the changes Jack Ross has made to be pretty confident we'll remain in the top six.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 09:19 AM
The next four games will define this. 3 at home (Ross County, Livi, Hearts) and away to Killie.

We have to be looking at a good points total from those games. If we get it we’ll be comfortably top six with the chance to make a late push on the places above us. Ultimately, it’ll be fifth or sixth at best but it would be good to at least think about the places above.

The Modfather
06-02-2020, 09:21 AM
I think we’ll be relatively comfortable in the end for the top 6 but, cup aside, I’m just waiting on the season ending.

Carheenlea
06-02-2020, 09:25 AM
I think we will do so comfortably. Not concerned about those behind us, and expect Livingston to fall back, but Motherwell and Aberdeen are looking out of sight.

I think we look good to finish 5th, but while on paper that wouldn’t look too bad, it would only be reasonable if we were closer points wise to Aberdeen and Motherwell.

Smartie
06-02-2020, 09:30 AM
No.

By that I mean I’m not confident rather than we won’t finish top 6.

We’re too hot and cold to be confident of anything. There are a few positive signs at the moment (form of Boyle, emergence of Newell, some decent new signings, Doidge’s goals) but there are also a few negatives (silly goals being lost, lack of a DM, starting games badly, questionable tactical decisions).

We might only be a decent draw away from having another good cup run and I could see us being a dangerous cup team.

Re the league though - next season can’t come quickly enough really.

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 09:34 AM
I think the teams above and below us will want and need the wins more. I’ve a feeling we play rangers in the cup final again though.

Heisenberg
06-02-2020, 09:50 AM
I think it’ll be tight. Can’t say I care all that much (unless we somehow get dragged into a relegation fight). Bottom six means another Derby. Top six means bit more cash and that’s about it.

Keith_M
06-02-2020, 09:51 AM
I'm not 100% confident but think we will.

We had enough quality to have fantastic wins against Aberdeen and Motherwell shortly before the break and need to start showing that on a regular basis.

We might even have a trip to Hampden (depending on the draw) to look forward to.

Hibeesmad
06-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Aye I'm pretty confident.

DH1875
06-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Don't care, 6th or 7th, both P to me. This top 6 split just adds to the myth that finishing 6th is good when it's not.
Reckon we've a good chance of getting to Hampden though.

norhfc
06-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Yes, pleased with McGinn, Docherty and McNulty, think they are enough to get us over the line into 6th.
Need a rebuild in the summer tho, our expectations must be europe and long cup runs.

Pretty Boy
06-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Not confident but I think we'll just about scrape in.

PeeJay
06-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Not confident at all, but if do we make it, we will probably finish bottom of the top 6 - this season is not going well either way

KingPat4
06-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Yes. 100%

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Without doubt. Hopefully worth it financially because id probably prefer 5 easy games Vs the bottom 6 than 5 losses Vs the top 6 to finish the season.

Northernhibee
06-02-2020, 10:21 AM
I’m looking at St Johnstone. 3pts begins with a game in hand.

wookie70
06-02-2020, 10:33 AM
We should be favourites to finish In the top six bit I wouldn't say I'm confident. We only seem to be able to play well for 45 minutes of each game

danhibees1875
06-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Confident? No.

It's a pretty tight league and we could quite easily see ourselves going up or down with a run of games.

11 points isn't huge. We're 11 off 3rd and 11 off 11th. I think we're capable of beating any of the teams above us to 3rd, and capable of losing to any of the ones below us too!

We have a key run of league fixtures coming up to the derby: Ross co, Killie (a), Livi, then Hearts. If we can get a good points tally there then I think we could be right back in the hunt for Europe - certainly more securely in the top 6.

Diclonius
06-02-2020, 10:46 AM
We will finish sixth.

The Tubs
06-02-2020, 10:50 AM
I think we’ll be fifth by the end of February.

G B Young
06-02-2020, 10:58 AM
I think it’ll be tight. Can’t say I care all that much (unless we somehow get dragged into a relegation fight). Bottom six means another Derby. Top six means bit more cash and that’s about it.

That might be worth finishing in the lower half for if it meant we were able to relegate them, but personally I can easily live without another derby and I'd rather be cruising serenely out of their reach in the top six while they battle for top flight survival.

Bangkok Hibby
06-02-2020, 10:59 AM
Top 6 probably and the extra revenue from playing the others in top 6 can only help. I like Jack Ross and do believe that RG will fund a decent summer window. Roll on next season.

Captain Trips
06-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Totally

A Hi-Bee
06-02-2020, 11:18 AM
30 points from 25 games is no good going at all, it is close to almost pish, we need to get going and start winning games.

Since452
06-02-2020, 11:24 AM
I think we will but I'm not confident if that makes sense

Smartie
06-02-2020, 11:25 AM
I think we will but I'm not confident if that makes sense

Perfect sense, as that is exactly how I see it.

Bostonhibby
06-02-2020, 11:32 AM
Perfect sense, as that is exactly how I see it.50 plus years following Hibs have eventually taught me not to be confident, we've snatched a draw from the jaws of comfortable victory too often[emoji6]

I'm mildly optimistic about the forthcoming cup tie.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Brightside
06-02-2020, 11:46 AM
I’m hoping Docherty will ensure our top 6. Far too many easy points dropped this season. McGinn and Docherty will hopefully change that.

WeeRussell
06-02-2020, 12:26 PM
Yes to top 6. Probably not higher than 6th.

Therefore I'm pretty confident we'll finish 6th I suppose :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2020, 12:28 PM
6th comfortably but hoping we can get above Livvi.

Not asking for too much is it?

heretoday
06-02-2020, 12:34 PM
I'm not confident about anything to do with Hibs. If we get injury to key men we might not make top six.

Unseen work
06-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Not confident based on how inconsistent we are.

However our next 4 games

Ross County (H)
Kilmarnock (A)
Livingston (H)
Hearts (H)

We should be looking to take 12 points from that. I’m not saying we will, but that should be the goal without a doubt.

The additions of McGinn, Omeonga, McNulty and Docherty all look very good especially if we can get them fit and sharp. Add that to the reemergence of Newell and Whittikar.

The players should have it drummed into them that they’re playing for Hibernian, anything other than top 6 minimum from our current position is unacceptable and that 12 points over the next four games is the goal.

Green_one
06-02-2020, 12:57 PM
6th comfortably but hoping we can get above Livvi.

Not asking for too much is it?

Pretty much my view. To finish under Livi would be poor.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 12:57 PM
I'm very rarely confident of anything regarding Hibs and even when I am, it's a quiet confidence with disappointment still a real possibility.

Sometimes I'm more hopeful than other times, but I'm never really certain.

I'm as close to being 100% confident as I can ever be with regards to Sunday's cup tie, but the possibility of an embarrassment still looms.

Clearly, I'm not the only one who feels like that. Look at all the calls for our strongest team to be fielded and you can see that grains of doubt still exist.

I hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. Maybe that's why I enjoy our successes so much.

SlickShoes
06-02-2020, 01:16 PM
If we can get 6 points from the next two league games, YES. If we get 4 points, maybe, if we get 2 or less then I worry massively about slipping further down the league.

Phil MaGlass
06-02-2020, 08:39 PM
**** NO,too inconsistent and boggin defence, I had hoped top 4 beginning of season, but now, if we dont start winning ways we will end up aroun 8th/9th.Not confident at all I'm afraid. Only because of the defence.

JOD
06-02-2020, 08:45 PM
St John stone's game in hand is against Huns eh do we want to win that one? 🤔😏😁

Lancs Harp
06-02-2020, 08:47 PM
We're an upper mid table team. We'll finish 5th.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2020, 08:47 PM
**** NO,too inconsistent and boggin defence, I had hoped top 4 beginning of season, but now, if we dont start winning ways we will end up aroun 8th/9th.Not confident at all I'm afraid. Only because of the defence.

So just the back 4? Because it should be the whole team in that case because defending is a team game. Even our defence is much better than 9th, won't happen.

cabbageandribs1875
06-02-2020, 08:49 PM
big game v ross co next week, fail to win that and we wont deserve to be in top six, but i'm confident we will win all three games v

ross co
Livi
Heartz
and a point at least at killie

JOD
06-02-2020, 08:52 PM
big game v ross co next week, fail to win that and we wont deserve to be in top six, but i'm confident we will win all three games v

ross co
Livi
Heartz
and a point at least at killie

👌

ahibby
06-02-2020, 09:01 PM
The next four games will define this. 3 at home (Ross County, Livi, Hearts) and away to Killie.

We have to be looking at a good points total from those games. If we get it we’ll be comfortably top six with the chance to make a late push on the places above us. Ultimately, it’ll be fifth or sixth at best but it would be good to at least think about the places above.

Good Post.

Eyrie
06-02-2020, 09:34 PM
I think we can, but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it.

Having the three teams below us all win last night after we only managed a draw at home to St Mirren at the weekend has seriously reduced our room for error.

Sir David Gray
06-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Not particularly confident. We are losing goals at an alarming rate and whilst we are scoring goals, we are probably going to require at least draw at Rugby Park a week on Sunday to stay in the top 6.

A loss there and we'll be struggling.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Not particularly confident. We are losing goals at an alarming rate and whilst we are scoring goals, we are probably going to require at least draw at Rugby Park a week on Sunday to stay in the top 6.

A loss there and we'll be struggling.

Killie play The Rangers on Wednesday with us at home to Ross County. Hopefully have a bit more of a cushion going in to the game at Rugby Park.

We do need to start putting wins on the board quickly though.

Waxy
06-02-2020, 11:02 PM
Top six yes with probably a few bumps along the way.

Sir David Gray
06-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Killie play The Rangers on Wednesday with us at home to Ross County. Hopefully have a bit more of a cushion going in to the game at Rugby Park.

We do need to start putting wins on the board quickly though.

Our game v Ross County could be a high scoring one. They're one of the few teams with a worse defensive record than us.

Scouse Hibee
06-02-2020, 11:11 PM
I’m confident that it will go down to the wire.

Borderhibbie76
07-02-2020, 09:04 AM
No.

By that I mean I’m not confident rather than we won’t finish top 6.

We’re too hot and cold to be confident of anything. There are a few positive signs at the moment (form of Boyle, emergence of Newell, some decent new signings, Doidge’s goals) but there are also a few negatives (silly goals being lost, lack of a DM, starting games badly, questionable tactical decisions).

We might only be a decent draw away from having another good cup run and I could see us being a dangerous cup team.

Re the league though - next season can’t come quickly enough really.

This is where I am just cant wait for this season to end and JR to do some major surgery in this squad especially the ageing back 4 which needs rebuilding.

I think we will get Top 6 but it wont be comfortable and no higher than 5th, which given where we were under Hecky is a decent enough finish. But big big improvement needed next season.

And fingers crossed we at least get to Hampden again in the Cup then who knows...

theonlywayisup
07-02-2020, 11:14 AM
My thoughts are that the league can be split into four sections:

The top two are clearly much better than the rest.
Aberdeen and Motherwell are much more consistent that the rest, though any of the teams below them can beat them.
Livingston, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Ross County are quite inconsistent capable of the good and the bad, even in the same game.
St. Mirren, Hamilton and Hertz are quite fragile teams - despite good play at times, they don't have the resilience to put together a good run of wins.

I would be concerned that we could go on a bad run, but think we've better players playing more consistently than we had when we had the previous bad run. I think it's going to a be a close call as to whether we make the top six.

Regarding St Mirren and Hamilton at the bottom, I was actually quite impressed with them going forward and thought they caused us problems recently at Easter Road. I can see them picking up more points if they continue to play like that. If I was a Hertz fan, I would be worried.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Top six should be achievable, but there will still be questions if we are sixth behind Motherwell and Livingston. Would like to see Aberdeen being on the crest of a slump at the same time that they need to dig deep for the new ground. Hopefully , they use fortress Tynecastle as the predicate. If Motherwell get to the season end in the top four and then pocket more money from the sale of Turnbull , they could have good season again next year.

Gloucester Hibs
07-02-2020, 12:26 PM
We’re far too inconsistent; when was the last time we followed up a good performance with another one? Latest being Dundee United (a good performance IMO) followed up with way below par v St Mirren. I’d be amazed if took 9 points + from the next 4 games as all the evidence points to the contrary. Touch and go to make top 6, but I’ll say we will as that’s where we currently sit.

CMurdoch
07-02-2020, 11:01 PM
5th easily and chasing Aberdeen for 4th.

Livingston are about to hit the skids after their next game against St Mirren.
They then have away games against Rangers and Hibs and a home game against Celtic.

Next 4 games for Kilmarnock are Rangers, Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen although all but Celtic are at home.

Beat Livingston and Kilmarnock (plus RC and the famous) and Hibs will be comfortably 5th after the next 4 games and in very close pursuit of Aberdeen.

Dropping 2 points to St Mirren was bad but a midfield of Newell, Omeonga, Docherty and Allan will do the business for the rest of the season if they avoid injury.
My only current concern is how long McNulty takes to get up to speed. His 2 cameo's to date have been non events. Hopefully he starts on Sunday to get much needed minutes and Doidge is given a well earned rest.

eastcoasthibby
08-02-2020, 09:00 AM
We need 3 points against Ross County for definite if not too 6 is going to be a struggle as our form is so unpredictable with Killie away after that and we don't get a result there then we will be chasing 6th as the pack will be around us .....I am hoping that the likes of Docherty and McGinn give us added stability ..and that JR doesn't listen to half the Hibs faithful and go with SDG at right back for many games ...sorry to say but that creates more problems than we need we cannot be taking chances getting players game time when we need wins in the bank ..!!