PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 05 02 20)

Jonnyboy
06-02-2020, 12:42 AM
Hibs may not have taken anything from Ibrox tonight but I did. I came away immensely proud of Hibs’ performance and disappointed that we didn’t earn the point I felt our display deserved. It was backs to the wall at times but I thought we had a great shape which the hosts struggled to break down.

Jack Ross made a couple of changes to his starting eleven which reflected the fact that we’d have less of the ball than they did. McGregor was replaced by Jackson and Whittaker was preferred to Horgan.

As you might expect, the Rangers came out of the traps at double quick time from the off and there was barely three minutes on the clock when Rocky got down well to a vicious low drive from Morelos. It was the first of many fine saves over the ninety minutes although he was well protected for great swathes of the game by fine defending with Newell and Boyle in particular providing excellent cover for the full backs.

The hosts seemed camped outside our eighteen yard box in those opening exchanges but they failed to find a way through and although our forays forward were a tad infrequent we did have a chance when Newell cut in from the left but his shot was saved by McGregor. On the subject of McGregor it’s not the first time I’ve come away from watching him and thought he has serious anger issues.

It’s often the way that you visit Ibrox and hope to frustrate the home side so as to have the crowd get on their backs and that’s exactly what happened when they gave up trying to break us down on the wings and switched to an even less effective tactic of going long.

With ten minutes left until the interval Hibs shocked the home support by taking the lead as Doidge won a headed challenge in the box and with McGregor stranded a grateful Paul Hanlon slammed the ball into the net. The goal happened at the ‘wrong’ end from my viewing perspective and I’d no idea at the time as to who scored it with the PA announcer failing to identify the scorer.

It looked as though we’d take a half time lead but with seconds of the half remaining, Hanlon gave a silly free kick away on the Rangers right. Morelos was going nowhere and the challenge was unnecessary but it cost us dear. The free kick into the box was headed toward goal by Edmundson but that effort was blocked and as the ball fell, Omeonga took a swipe at it, missed and the ball hit his standing leg and rolled to Edmundson who fired it home from close range. Had we survived until half time I reckon it wouldn’t just be the referee booed off by the home support.

Lifted by their equaliser the hosts came out firing on all cylinders again and the game took on a familiar pattern with Hibs defending stoutly and Rocky making a few very good saves. They won corner after corner but Hibs were defending well with headed clearances and a good few blocks around the eighteen yard line.

A couple of rare bursts forward might have earned a reward had the final ball been better and one that sticks in mind was when Boyle raced through the middle only to hit his pass to the unmarked Doidge such that it hit the Hibs man on the heel. Had the pass been better, Doidge was through on goal.

The pressure was relentless and still Hibs defended well, until the 85th minute that is when Goldson and Arfield found an unmarked Hagi who rifled his shot pass the despairing dive of Marciano. All of the fine defending was undone by one lapse of concentration and I really felt for the players as I reckon their endeavours would have deserved a draw.

When Bobby Madden added on five minutes of additional time, Hibs threw everything at Rangers and Doidge had a header saved before a break by Rangers had Rocky making another fine stop.

The players

Marciano – A string of fine saves kept Hibs in the game and although there were another two or three players I could have chosen ahead of him I’ve opted for Rocky as my man of the match.

McGinn – We witnessed his ability as a defender tonight and he was solid throughout.

Jackson – The fact that Morelos was AWOL for long stretches of the game is kinda reflected in the fact that Adam was rarely troubled by him.

Hanlon – Another goal from Paul and a very good performance defensively, other than his error in conceding the free kick that led to the equaliser.

Stevenson – I thought both full backs were excellent tonight and it says a lot that Rangers stopped trying to break down the wings and went more central in the second half. Lewis had a wee tussle with Morelos late on but that was very much instigated by the Rangers man.

Newell – I was surprised when he took up position wide right but his assistance to McGinn was first class and I lost count of the number of times he halted a Rangers wing man with a timely tackle.

Omeonga – What a work rate this wee fella demonstrates. He might not do anything particularly special but his spoiling play in the middle of the park often had Rangers having to pass the ball backwards.

Whittaker – Another who played very well and I recall only a couple of mistakes, neither of which was costly.

Allan – Scotty was right up for it tonight and chased and harried until he was exhausted and had to be replaced late on. This was not a game where he got lots of chances to play the killer ball but he did the ‘dirty’ stuff well.

Boyle – Martin gave Stevenson great cover and didn’t get forward as much as a result. There were a couple of occasions that he broke free but his pass to a team mate let him down.

Doidge – Ploughed a pretty lonely furrow up front but did his fair share of fine defending when required.

McGregor – Daz replaced the injured Jackson and seemed to play his part though I’m not sure of his positioning for the winning goal.

Horgan – A straight swap for the tiring Allan he worked hard enough and made me smile when he rushed over to confront Morelos after the Rangers thug had tussled with Lewis.

McNulty – Brought on as we chased an equaliser late on but I’m not sure he even got a touch.

Jack Ross – I thought the formation and team selection was right on the money and Ross must surely be as proud of his players as I was.

The fans – Someone said we hadn’t sold out but I didn’t see many gaps. Our singers tried hard and gave plenty of outings to the F Kamberi song!

Bobby Madden – There are times when you think the guy must be blind but both sets of fans were angry when perceived free kicks were not awarded. As it happens I thought the game flowed well because of that and it’s far preferable to the incessant whistling of a Kevin Clancy.

Hermit Crab
06-02-2020, 12:58 AM
Edmundson shouldn't have been on the park to score after his horrendous tackle on I think it was Whittaker. A red card every day of the week except at Ibrox, for the home team. :rolleyes:

number9dream
06-02-2020, 01:33 AM
A game effort but it was a bit like watching San Marino play in the second half as we hung on and just thumped the ball anywhere.
Losing that goal on the stroke of half time was a killer and losing Jackson was a real blow since he was a stand-out in an overworked defence.
I'm surprised there weren't any midfield changes once we got to 70-75 minutes since we were so overrun. Hallberg for Allan seemed like an obvious swap if the idea was just to try and tough it out.
Boyle was there to keep Tavernier quiet but he doesn't look at all comfortable getting forward on the left. Newell did well on the other side but was blowing hard and he might have been replaced a bit earlier.
Plenty of dig and graft - and an excellent display from Rocky - but we just came up short after a big helping hand from Mr Angry's howler.

Tambo
06-02-2020, 05:03 AM
Edmundson shouldn't have been on the park to score after his horrendous tackle on I think it was Whittaker. A red card every day of the week except at Ibrox, for the home team. :rolleyes:

Any clips of this tackle?

BILLYHIBS
06-02-2020, 06:28 AM
Brilliant

Many thanks for posting

Listening on HIBS TV I made Rocky my Man of the Match :greengrin

JimBHibees
06-02-2020, 06:49 AM
Any clips of this tackle?

It's on the Hibs tv goal highlights posted down the forum. Personally don't think it is anywhere near a red. Watched game last night and we didn't do much with the ball second half but shape was good and frustrating giving away two avoidable goals. Deserved a point but pressure now on to put a run of wins together.

Since452
06-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Excellent first half but conceding in first half injury time gave them all the momentum. I don't think we'd have lost the game if we'd gone in ahead

Jonnyboy
06-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Agreed ✅

Captain Trips
06-02-2020, 10:59 AM
The first half was excellent from Jack Ross and the team. Just think in second half we allowed the desperation of Rangers to pin us back when I think we were giving as good as getting. Paul McGinn looked like he had been in the defence for years and this could well be one of our best signings.

Good to see a tall striker actually win headers the big man worked all night. Just wished we pushed back a bit more in 2nd half and we might have nicked it.

LaMotta
06-02-2020, 11:05 AM

Put it this way....its far worse than Porto's tackle from the Easter Road game.

superfurryhibby
06-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Put it this way....its far worse than Porto's tackle from the Easter Road game.

Take off the green tinted specs, it isn't.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 11:31 AM
We were really good first half. Goal before half time was the kind of thing that has killed us this season though.

I was disappointed second half. The chances we did have to get up the pitch we were careless with the ball.

Thought we missed a chance to get a result last night.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 11:33 AM

Porteous got the ball and brushed Barasic’s shin.

The tackle last night was about an hour late and put Whittaker about 6ft in the air.

Brightside
06-02-2020, 11:34 AM
I didn’t even think the tackle was a booking tbh. Maybe need to watch it again.

sean04
06-02-2020, 11:49 AM
Haven’t seen the game, only some of the highlights. We have conceded 2 crap goals again. Really unlucky break in the box for the 1st at a horrible time to concede. 2nd we have cleared the box and went to sleep. Hagi had all the time in the world. I know rocky made big saves and the team were defensively pretty good for a change but just silly wee errors are killing us

superfurryhibby
06-02-2020, 12:22 PM

The tackle last night was about an hour late and put Whittaker about 6ft in the air.

Nah, Porteous totally lunged in and would have melted the Hun had he not taken evasive action. Whittaker was fouled, it wasn't wild or particularly dangerous, but it stopped a move developing and for that it did merit a booking.

Laying on the hyperbole a bit thick there, BHFC.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Nah, Porteous totally lunged in and would have melted the Hun had he not taken evasive action. Whittaker was fouled, it wasn't wild or particularly dangerous, but it stopped a move developing and for that it did merit a booking.

Laying on the hyperbole a bit thick there, BHFC.

Hyperbole, really?

Porteous got the ball, Edmunson was nowhere near it. He also ran in at speed and wasn’t in control. Seeing it back I don’t particularly think it’s a red card. The problem is when you compare it to Porteous’s tackle and the fuss that created. Completely different because of the colour of top been worn. Porteous ‘could’ have melted him. Except he didn’t, he brushed his shin pad.

LaMotta
06-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Take off your blue red and white tinted specs, it is :banana:

LaMotta
06-02-2020, 12:51 PM

:agree:

Sad times when someone thinks Porto's is worse than that.

superfurryhibby
06-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Hyperbole, really?

Porteous got the ball, Edmunson was nowhere near it. He also ran in at speed and wasn’t in control. Seeing it back I don’t particularly think it’s a red card. The problem is when you compare it to Porteous’s tackle and the fuss that created. Completely different because of the colour of top been worn. Porteous ‘could’ have melted him. Except he didn’t, he brushed his shin pad.

Aye really, how else can you describe six foot in the air?

Porteous' tackle was very stupid and the only reason it "brushed" the opposition player was that the guy took evasive action and got out of the way. The reason he managed that was that it was telegraphed and he saw it coming a mile off. If it had been a Hun doing it, they would have been sent off too. A dangerous tackle, acceptable in the Maybury League, not in modern day pro football.

As for the tackle on Whittaker, I agree. Never a red card.

BlackSheep
06-02-2020, 12:55 PM

Agreed, watch the tackle back its late but he hardly touches Whitty, enough to trip him but nothing more.... not high, not dangerous!

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 02:03 PM
Aye really, how else can you describe six foot in the air?

Porteous' tackle was very stupid and the only reason it "brushed" the opposition player was that the guy took evasive action and got out of the way. The reason he managed that was that it was telegraphed and he saw it coming a mile off. If it had been a Hun doing it, they would have been sent off too. A dangerous tackle, acceptable in the Maybury League, not in modern day pro football.

As for the tackle on Whittaker, I agree. Never a red card.

Ok so 6ft is a slight exaggeration. Suffice to say he was put up in the air by the challenge.

I don’t understand the logic of hammering a Hibs player for something that didn’t happen but dismissing the incredibly late challenge on a Hibs player. And we moan when referees don’t give us a fair crack against that lot....

The reason nothing happened to Barasic is for that exact reason - it didn’t happen. When you put the two challenges next to each other, that one last night is every bit as bad. Possibly worse when you see how far the guy has come and how far away from the ball he is.

Hermit Crab
06-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Agreed, watch the tackle back its late but he hardly touches Whitty, enough to trip him but nothing more.... not high, not dangerous!

Aye ok. He is nowhere near the ball, about 2 weeks late and he scissors Whittaker. Late, dangerous and out of control. Red card all day.

Anthony Soprano
06-02-2020, 02:52 PM

Behave yourself, he took him clean out

Kojock
06-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Really disappointed with their equaliser. The board had just gone up with 1 minute added time. We had a free kick midway in the Hun half on the near side touch line. Lewis over hit it and the ball sailed out for a goal kick. Rangers took a quick goal kick and broke into our half where we conceded the free kick which led to the goal. Should’ve saw out the first half and to lose possession so easily was criminal.

Lago
06-02-2020, 05:31 PM
Really disappointed with their equaliser. The board had just gone up with 1 minute added time. We had a free kick midway in the Hun half on the near side touch line. Lewis over hit it and the ball sailed out for a goal kick. Rangers took a quick goal kick and broke into our half where we conceded the free kick which led to the goal. Should’ve saw out the first half and to lose possession so easily was criminal.
2nd goal pissed me off all the jobs players drawn to the ball leaving a massive empty space for the rangers player to run into, also think they all stopped waiting for an off side flag, poor stuff.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 05:42 PM
2nd goal pissed me off all the jobs players drawn to the ball leaving a massive empty space for the rangers player to run into, also think they all stopped waiting for an off side flag, poor stuff.

See for all the talk of needing leaders etc, those two goals show it. They need someone in there organising them properly, making sure they’re concentrating. We’ve not got that, whether they’re ‘good pros’ or not.

When you see the first goal back nobody is ever properly with the guy that scores. For the second, there is no urgency to push out. If there had been, the boy who wins the header might have been challenged and the guy who scores would probably be offside.

Kojock
06-02-2020, 05:43 PM

Yip the defence didn’t cover themselves in glory with the 2nd either. From my position in the ground it looked like Rocky was too busy claiming offside rather than watching Hagi. Might be totally wrong there tho.

CMurdoch
06-02-2020, 05:58 PM

That was the only thing that disappointed me in the performance last night.
I was screaming at Lewis to leave it for Hanlon, Newell or Allan.
All about game management at that stage.

jacomo
06-02-2020, 06:18 PM
My Rangers pal (yes I do have one - he’s a good guy in other respects) has been bragging like crazy all day.

Beating Hibs is their new target.

CMurdoch
06-02-2020, 06:58 PM
Another 90 minutes for Omeonga, Boyle and Jackson (almost).

Docherty, Omeonga and Newell in midfield combination will see Hibs performances improve greatly now and bring us back up towards the standards of the second half of the 2017/18 season.

All we need now is for McNulty to get himself up to speed and avoid injuries to Hanlon, Newell, Docherty, Boyle and Doidge

I'm excited about our next few league games.

JimBHibees
06-02-2020, 10:42 PM
Another 90 minutes for Omeonga, Boyle and Jackson (almost).

Docherty, Omeonga and Newell in midfield combination will see Hibs performances improve greatly now and bring us back up towards the standards of the second half of the 2017/18 season.

All we need now is for McNulty to get himself up to speed and avoid injuries to Hanlon, Newell, Docherty, Boyle and Doidge

I'm excited about our next few league games.

Only downside I assume is both Jackson and Newell looked like they got injured.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 11:06 PM
Only downside I assume is both Jackson and Newell looked like they got injured.

Jackson definitely which was a blow. That was his best game for us and the change was possibly a factor in us being a bit all over the place at the second goal.