PDA

View Full Version : Man do we need Docherty

Hibbyradge
05-02-2020, 08:50 PM
There's no point blaming the defence for tonight's loss. They were under a barrage for almost the entire game, but nearly survived with a point.

The midfield is so lightweight, even more so when Newell went off, and The Rangers ran over them time and time again. On the odd occasion when we broke clear, they couldn't find a pass and the chances were gone.

They all worked hard, but that's about the only positive in the middle tonight, imo.

JimBHibees
05-02-2020, 08:51 PM
There's no point blaming the defence for tonight's loss. They were under a barrage for almost the entire game, but nearly survived with a point.

The midfield is so lightweight, even more so when Newell went off, and The Rangers ran over them time and time again. On the odd occasion when we broke clear, they couldn't find a pass and the chances were gone.

They all worked hard, but that's about the only positive in the middle tonight, imo.

Don't think Newell went off.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Don't think Newell went off.

Newell, Jackson and Allen were subbed, no?

Sir David Gray
05-02-2020, 08:56 PM

Yes.

JimBHibees
05-02-2020, 08:56 PM

Your right so he did. :aok:

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-02-2020, 09:00 PM
Man..we need a new defence 🙄

norhfc
05-02-2020, 09:01 PM
We are lightweight in midfield, it’s so obvious and needs addressed.
Docherty will make a huge difference tho but must be a priority this summer.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2020, 09:03 PM
I liked what I saw of Docherty during his 38 minutes on Saturday. I'm not hanging all my hopes on him though.

I can remember similar sentiments being expressed about the likes of Palsson and Deegan after decent debuts. He may well prove to be a shrewd signing, I think he will; but much as we dive in too quickly with criticism after a poor start it's probably a stretch to stress how much we need a player after little more than a cameo appearance as well.

Since452
05-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Looking forward to seeing more of him

CMurdoch
05-02-2020, 09:05 PM
The team did well tonight and Docherty will add to that.
Rangers played well in the 2nd half and Hibs refused to fold.
They were organised and even Scott Allan worked hard to do the ugly stuff.
Nothing for folk to get upset about.

GreenCastle
05-02-2020, 09:06 PM
We need a CDM - 2 windows and we haven’t recruited one.

hibee_girl
05-02-2020, 09:07 PM
I liked what I saw of Docherty during his 38 minutes on Saturday. I'm not hanging all my hopes on him though.

I can remember similar sentiments being expressed about the likes of Palsson and Deegan after decent debuts. He may well prove to be a shrewd signing, I think he will; but much as we dive in too quickly with criticism after a poor start it's probably a stretch to stress how much we need a player after little more than a cameo appearance as well.

Agree with this.

Don’t get me wrong he did impress me on Saturday but I’m not getting too carried away about him just yet.

EVENTUALLY
05-02-2020, 09:13 PM

I thought the defence tonight were fine.
Omeonga may be accused of a less than sharp reaction to the break of the ball to Edmunson for the first goal.
The 2nd ball which landed at Hagi's feet was a header into the box not directed at him albeit landed at his feet and he did very well to beat Rocky.

Rocky had a couple of decent saves and a good game.
McGinn was very calm and steady. Kent was subbed off.
Jackson and Hanlon were not troubled at any stage.
Lewis tired towards the end of the match but was part of a good defensive unit tonight.

Our focus of play tonight meant that we were facing a home attack for the majority of the game.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2020, 09:15 PM

Yes, that's fair comment.

I should have said, "Man we need Docherty if he's really as good as he looked on Saturday". :greengrin

Hibbyradge
05-02-2020, 09:16 PM

It certainly wasn't the defence's fault we lost tonight.

With a better midfield we could have won that game.

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2020, 09:18 PM

This

500miles
05-02-2020, 09:19 PM

I think we lacked an outball, or someone to hold up play. I think the midfield would stand up well against most of the teams in this league.

Basildon Hibs
We are lightweight in midfield, it’s so obvious and needs addressed.
Docherty will make a huge difference tho but must be a priority this summer.

Yet astonishingly, this wasn't addressed during this window.
It's so obvious where the weaknesses are yet nothing ever seems to be done about them.
Other teams manage to fix their problems...😐

Why can't we?

Captain Trips
The team did well tonight and Docherty will add to that.
Rangers played well in the 2nd half and Hibs refused to fold.
They were organised and even Scott Allan worked hard to do the ugly stuff.
Nothing for folk to get upset about.

Indeed I heard about how great the Rangers midfield is yet we did ok in there , against other teams we have enough in locker.

Bronson
05-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Newell did well first half, got his hands dirty and kept kent and barisic quiet along with mcginn.

Omeonga put himself about and gave us energy, although lacked any real influence on the game.

Whittaker was okay, not great but certainly not bad.

Allan looked like he could potentially make it happen for us on the counter and prevented a certain goal with a great nick on a through ball.

Looking forward to seeing docherty, but midfield were okay tonight. Everyone was okay tonight, we were just undone by a quality finish. It happens.

DetroitHibs
05-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Newell did well first half, got his hands dirty and kept kent and barisic quiet along with mcginn.

Omeonga put himself about and gave us energy, although lacked any real influence on the game.

Allan looked like he could potentially make it happen for us on the counter and prevented a certain goal with a great nick on a through ball.

Looking forward to seeing docherty, but midfield were okay tonight. Everyone was okay tonight, we were just undone by a quality finish. It happens.

I agree, didn’t think any aspect was bad tonight, just up against a better starting 11.

Daydreamer
05-02-2020, 09:32 PM
What we need is a youth policy that brings at least one player through every year. Not one player in 11 years. When will Evans and May realise they are doing a ***** job!!

Hibbyradge
05-02-2020, 09:33 PM

It really is remarkable that people can see the game so differently.

What I saw was wave after wave of The Rangers attacks because there was no one in the middle to stop them. This was particularly the case in the 2nd half right enough.

I usually think of myself as a glass half full type of perso. You're obviously much more positive about the performance than me so maybe I'll need to revise that opinion.

I hope you're right, Bronson.

SquashedFrogg
05-02-2020, 09:40 PM

A whole new defence? So midfield and attack is fine?

05-02-2020, 09:44 PM
Could have done with him today for a bit of drive in midfield. I like Newell, Whittaker has been decent recently and omeonga is a hero but they easily get penned in against half decent teams. Need that McGinnesque ability to force a team forward.

SquashedFrogg
05-02-2020, 09:46 PM
It really is remarkable that people can see the game so differently.

What I saw was wave after wave of The Rangers attacks because there was no one in the middle to stop them. This was particularly the case in the 2nd half right enough.

I usually think of myself as a glass half full type of perso. You're obviously much more positive about the performance than me so maybe I'll need to revise that opinion.

I hope you're right, Bronson.

You're not the only one Radge. We were bombarded, and based on that, our defence was probably the only part of the team to come away with any credit.

Midfield and attack (granted away at Ibrox) contributed very little. Reliant on Hanlon up front again. Yet, it's our defence who get slaughtered.

darwenhibby
05-02-2020, 09:49 PM
What we need is a youth policy that brings at least one player through every year. Not one player in 11 years. When will Evans and May realise they are doing a ***** job!!

Is Evans still there??

Hermit Crab
05-02-2020, 10:50 PM

Stevenson had a shocker. Was nowhere for the 2nd goal. His side and the boy had 10yds radius of space to bring the ball down, light a cigar then slot it home.

DstN75
05-02-2020, 10:55 PM

I disagree. We were set up to defend and those players worked very hard and did some decent stuff in a setup that was never going to flatter them.

DstN75
05-02-2020, 11:01 PM
You're not the only one Radge. We were bombarded, and based on that, our defence was probably the only part of the team to come away with any credit.

Midfield and attack (granted away at Ibrox) contributed very little. Reliant on Hanlon up front again. Yet, it's our defence who get slaughtered.

That was the plan though. Look where they were standing - behind the ball and ten yards in front of our penalty box. The idea was to try and stifle Rangers by sitting on the ropes and hitting them on the break, not try to dominate midfield, and they did a pretty good job pursuing that.

California-Hibs
05-02-2020, 11:26 PM
The guys gonna start and will score a goal or 2 on Saturday which will see his confidence go even higher 👍

fulshie
05-02-2020, 11:38 PM
Theres no point dwelling over the score. we battled hard but the reality is, we need a strong defensive midfielder and we need to start thinking about changing our old guard in defence. Its a pity Porteus and Naismith were out but that's the way it goes. JR will, I think and hope, start the serious rebuilding in the summer so lets all get behind the team and see us through to a top six finish.

Allant1981
06-02-2020, 05:06 AM
Theres no point dwelling over the score. we battled hard but the reality is, we need a strong defensive midfielder and we need to start thinking about changing our old guard in defence. Its a pity Porteus and Naismith were out but that's the way it goes. JR will, I think and hope, start the serious rebuilding in the summer so lets all get behind the team and see us through to a top six finish.

To be fair, jackson and mcginn had decent games and I dont think porteous or naismith would have been much of an improvement

BILLYHIBS
06-02-2020, 05:17 AM
Is Evans still there??

According to Wiki ....yes Head of Youth

Clarence
06-02-2020, 05:40 AM
We need a CDM - 2 windows and we haven’t recruited one.

Ken. We miss Bartley breaking up the play in order to give the defence a break in games like these.

Gerrard has the the’s midfield all over other teams now and it has made a big difference. We had no authority in the middle of the park.

Carheenlea
06-02-2020, 06:20 AM
Desperately defending and hoping the occasional counter attack, which was always just brief before defending desperately again was not a pretty watch. It’s not just a bit of steel that was lacking, it was some composure. Would Docherty being on the pitch have stopped us hoofing the ball away rather than passing our way out? I don’t think he would have made much difference last night to be honest.

Andy74
06-02-2020, 06:48 AM
So the answer to getting a better midfield than Rangers is a guy Rangers didn't play??

I like Docherty and he will make a difference, but let's get real here. We aren't going to be producing a midfield better than Rangers' any time soon.

Since452
06-02-2020, 07:04 AM
So the answer to getting a better midfield than Rangers is a guy Rangers didn't play??

I like Docherty and he will make a difference, but let's get real here. We aren't going to be producing a midfield better than Rangers' any time soon.

Not a chance and would be silly to think so BUT from what I saw of Docherty in the 30 odd minutes on Saturday I'm surprised Rangers didn't give him a chance. I was very impressed. Did Gerrard sign him or was it the previous guy?

BoomtownHibees
06-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Stevenson had a shocker. Was nowhere for the 2nd goal. His side and the boy had 10yds radius of space to bring the ball down, light a cigar then slot it home.

I agree that Lewis was poor last night however I’m not sure he can be blamed for the goal. It came from a corner and I think he would have been in and around the front post area at that time so there’s no way he could have got back in to his left back position by the time the call came back in

BlackSheep
06-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Thought Jackson has a very good game last night... if he can show that form more often then he would definitely be in with a shout to start more regularly.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 10:53 AM

That's as predictable as it's wrong.

Stevenson was in the middle at the corner, marking his designated player. Omeonga was marking Hagi.

When the ball broke out of defence, Hagi ran away from Omeonga who continued to saunter up the pitch.

When the ball came back in, Hagi was on his own.

Stevenson, like the rest of the defence, had an excellent game.

How upset were you when Hanlon scored?

Hibbyradge
06-02-2020, 10:56 AM

We can produce a midfield better than the one we've got though, and that's my point.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2020, 11:06 AM
I thought our midfield did well last night, they were playing against better players and stuck to their task well.

They were always going to be on the back foot, but we saw plenty of energy and plenty of legs getting in around them and stopping them playing how they wanted.

Most of the night, the ball was played in front of our midfield and defence, with very few openings for the huns.

They were always going to create the odd chance, they are a better team than us, what was disappointing for me was once again we've lost 2 very soft goals, one through stupid defending, and the other through our player losing his man.

Much better than the last couple of games, the Govan Galacticos are a decent side, but not the world beaters some would have you believe, and a team set up properly against them has a chance, unlike secondbottoms clueless tactics, christ almighty, even that dafty over the road beat them.:rolleyes:

green with envy
06-02-2020, 11:16 AM
I thought our midfield did well last night, they were playing against better players and stuck to their task well.

They were always going to be on the back foot, but we saw plenty of energy and plenty of legs getting in around them and stopping them playing how they wanted.

Most of the night, the ball was played in front of our midfield and defence, with very few openings for the huns.

They were always going to create the odd chance, they are a better team than us, what was disappointing for me was once again we've lost 2 very soft goals, one through stupid defending, and the other through our player losing his man.

Much better than the last couple of games, the Govan Galacticos are a decent side, but not the world beaters some would have you believe, and a team set up properly against them has a chance, unlike secondbottoms clueless tactics, christ almighty, even that dafty over the road beat them.:rolleyes:

Good post!

BlackSheep
06-02-2020, 11:20 AM
The main difference between them and us last night was their movement off the ball, it created lots of space to either ruin into or to pass between, it had us on the back foot for quite some time.

We did well to absorb as much as we could and we were lucky that Morelos and a few others in their attack didn't have their shooting boots on last night as they could have scored long before their eventual winner.

The team should take great confidence from their performance last night, and use that to move onward. I felt that our attackers had the slightest lack of confidence in the final third and funbled their lines due to this.

Overall i was happy with the performance and i feel our form will go from strength to strength now.

I agree with the OP too (again, this is getting strange) that Docherty will be a massive boost to our midfield and we are finally seeing Newell as a good signing (trust me i have been one of his biggest critics) and there seems to be good competition for places in the midfield now, so the bench becomes stronger as a result.

The rest of the season is looking bright.... GGTTH

Anthony Soprano
06-02-2020, 02:32 PM

Haha Gary Deegan, he'll always have that goal against Aberdeen in the cup

Diclonius
06-02-2020, 02:37 PM
Haha Gary Deegan, he'll always have that goal against Aberdeen in the cup

One of the best goals I have ever seen live.

Jonnyboy
06-02-2020, 02:46 PM

Don’t you ever give up? The ball was headed out of the box and the defenders should have followed thereby leaving Hagi offside. Daz stays in and Hagi scores. Nothing to do with Lewis’ position

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2020, 02:49 PM
Ken. We miss Bartley breaking up the play in order to give the defence a break in games like these.

Gerrard has the the’s midfield all over other teams now and it has made a big difference. We had no authority in the middle of the park.
Bartley didn't actually play much at all in the 18 months before his departure, missing him is a myth. The best midfield we've had in 15 years was McGinn, Allan and Mcgeouch. It's Mcginn we miss.

Since452
06-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Bartley didn't actually play much at all in the 18 months before his departure, missing him is a myth. The best midfield we've had in 15 years was McGinn, Allan and Mcgeouch. It's Mcginn we miss.

Marv gets better and better the more time goes by. In 10 years time he'll be up there with Roy Keane

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Thought Jackson has a very good game last night... if he can show that form more often then he would definitely be in with a shout to start more regularly.

Agree with this. Been pretty critical of him but thought he was superb last night. If fit, he as the jersey ahead of McGregor for me.

Brightside
06-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Correct - we need at least another £50m injected. I totally accept we are miles behind the old firm. But i do want us pushing for 3rd every year.