PDA

View Full Version : Open Goal: On the Road with Michael Stewart

CloudSquall
05-02-2020, 01:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpAehiMkH8&app=desktop

Simon Ferry interviewing Michael Stewart, just started watching it myself but a lot of Hibs content regarding his time at ER under Mowbrary and Collins.

Since452
05-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Really good interview. The stuff about Collins was interesting but not surprising

J-C
05-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Thanks for that, really good stuff.

Sammy7nil
05-02-2020, 05:17 PM
Yeah it is a good listen thanks.

Allant1981
06-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Does MS actually come across like how he has in this video or does "he know his audience" as he mentioned earlier.

Barman Stanton
06-02-2020, 07:44 AM
This is probably my favourite interview that Ferry has done. Good to get a little more insight into the Collins saga. At the time I was on Collins side. But it certainly sounds like he just wasnt very good at his job.

J-C
06-02-2020, 08:02 AM
This is probably my favourite interview that Ferry has done. Good to get a little more insight into the Collins saga. At the time I was on Collins side. But it certainly sounds like he just wasnt very good at his job.

You're right about not good at his job, I heard all this at the time but there was so many stories coming out about what had happened with the players, it's a shame Collins deflected his own shortcomings onto a scapegoat like Stewart.

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2020, 08:03 AM

Yes very insightful. Collins does sound like a complete p*""k.

Barman Stanton
06-02-2020, 08:30 AM

I was biased as Collins was a hero as a kid and he did win a cup. But interesting to hear that the issues they had with training was actually the complete opposite of the rumours at the time.

hibsbollah
06-02-2020, 08:33 AM

It wouldn't be in Stewart's interests to portray him as anything else.

Smartie
06-02-2020, 08:34 AM
I thought it was quite interesting to hear him be as scathing as he was about Collins and his training and then enthuse about Csaba Laszlo.

The Scottish media would have you believe that Collins was years ahead of his time but that Hearts had a bunch of foreign jokers who didn’t know what they were doing.

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 08:48 AM
I thought it was quite interesting to hear him be as scathing as he was about Collins and his training and then enthuse about Csaba Laszlo.

The Scottish media would have you believe that Collins was years ahead of his time but that Hearts had a bunch of foreign jokers who didn’t know what they were doing.

I think Collins eventually got found out when Ronny Deila was revealed as a joker and his training was a sham too. Mind he called the Celtic team all unfit when he first went in and then training was that bad they actually all looked the most unfit they had ever been. The Hibs players hated training. Mikey also gets the blame for that meeting but Brown set it up with Jones.

hibsbollah
06-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Again, I'd add that Stewart isn't going to say Collins training was ahead of its time, even if it was! and just because players don't like a training regime, doesn't mean it's not beneficial for them. Also, regarding Marbella, he also lets it slip there that players were 'knocking the drinks' back in a bar a few days before the CIS cup final when theyd been told not to be, and according to Stewart, Collins shouldn't have had an alcohol ban and instead used a bit of reverse psychology :dunno: That's one thing that's guaranteed NOT to work when you combine young men, sun and easy access to booze and clubs, a stupid thing to say really.

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2020, 09:11 AM

Csaba was the Sporting Lisbon manager in Portugal, the countries third largest club. Portugal far ahead of Scotland on training methods, technique and sports science science. The record at club level, international level and the players they have produced. Csaba in different league than Collins ss a manager.

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Again, I'd add that Stewart isn't going to say Collins training was ahead of its time, even if it was! and just because players don't like a training regime, doesn't mean it's not beneficial for them. Also, regarding Marbella, he also lets it slip there that players were 'knocking the drinks' back in a bar a few days before the CIS cup final when theyd been told not to be, and according to Stewart, Collins shouldn't have had an alcohol ban and instead used a bit of reverse psychology :dunno:

That’s all and well but Marbella was three weeks before the final. Not a few days 👍

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2020, 09:12 AM
It wouldn't be in Stewart's interests to portray him as anything else.

He must be a very good story teller as he had a lot of detailed examples.

Barman Stanton
06-02-2020, 09:16 AM
Again, I'd add that Stewart isn't going to say Collins training was ahead of its time, even if it was! and just because players don't like a training regime, doesn't mean it's not beneficial for them. Also, regarding Marbella, he also lets it slip there that players were 'knocking the drinks' back in a bar a few days before the CIS cup final when theyd been told not to be, and according to Stewart, Collins shouldn't have had an alcohol ban and instead used a bit of reverse psychology :dunno: That's one thing that's guaranteed NOT to work when you combine young men, sun and easy access to booze and clubs, a stupid thing to say really.

He seemed to be speaking pretty honest to me. Criticised Levein and Collins but praised most other managers including Robbo. From the sounds of it the other players all agreed (apart from 2) regarding Collins.

Allant1981
06-02-2020, 09:29 AM
Csaba was the Sporting Lisbon manager in Portugal, the countries third largest club. Portugal far ahead of Scotland on training methods, technique and sports science science. The record at club level, international level and the players they have produced. Csaba in different league than Collins ss a manager.

When did he manage in Portugal?

hibsbollah
06-02-2020, 09:36 AM
That’s all and well but Marbella was three weeks before the final. Not a few days 👍

Ok, but the point is the manager told the players not to drink to maximise performance. And they were getting hammered. Which means Collins was right to be angry IMO.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2020, 09:41 AM
Ok, but the point is the manager told the players not to drink to maximise performance. And they were getting hammered. Which means Collins was right to be angry IMO.

Collins always thought he was right, that was part of his problem.

Nobody knew better than him, and while i do appreciate there should be rules when the team are away, there does have to be a bit of give and take between players and manager, there was never any of that under Collins.

It was no surprise there was resentment towards him, especially when you are treated like a child all the time.

raeburnhibs
06-02-2020, 09:47 AM
I like Michael Stewart; he talks a lot of sense. I also like John Collins for a bunch of reasons but mostly for 5-1 in a national cup final where I was able to relax and enjoy the last 20 minutes knowing we were going to win. It is possible that two individuals for whatever reason, just don't get on and that this is reflected, even decades later, in comments made. Clearly Stewart has an axe to grind, Collins didn't pick him for the final! It is also apparent, that there are aspects of Collin's makeup which are not perfect, like most, if not all of us.

hibsbollah
06-02-2020, 09:59 AM
I like Michael Stewart; he talks a lot of sense. I also like John Collins for a bunch of reasons but mostly for 5-1 in a national cup final where I was able to relax and enjoy the last 20 minutes knowing we were going to win. It is possible that two individuals for whatever reason, just don't get on and that this is reflected, even decades later, in comments made. Clearly Stewart has an axe to grind, Collins didn't pick him for the final! It is also apparent, that there are aspects of Collin's makeup which are not perfect, like most, if not all of us.

100% agree. I manage to like both of them even though they clearly don't like each other. There will be much more grey than black n white in that whole episode.

CL0762
06-02-2020, 10:05 AM

You're thinking of Paulo Sergio

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2020, 11:18 AM
You're thinking of Paulo Sergio

Yes apologies to all. Getting to old and too much information in my head.

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2020, 11:21 AM
100% agree. I manage to like both of them even though they clearly don't like each other. There will be much more grey than black n white in that whole episode.

I liked JC as a player and met him recently on a flight and got on well with him. Although he did spend a lot of time bragging to the air stewardess and to my surprise ate a lot of junk food.

HendoDelivered
06-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Good watch that. Always had time for MS!

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Good watch that. Always had time for MS!

The irony is I bet more Hibees like Mikey than Jambos. He’s a good egg. He never got over being Mr Man Utd during his career though and his standards was his downfall.

Frazerbob
06-02-2020, 01:39 PM
Mikey's recollections aren't as accurate as you'd hope. The meeting with Rod was after the cup final, not before it. Mikey suggested he was dropped for the cup final because of the meeting, 100% not the case.

I was the only other person in the room in the restaurant that day, before they headed off in the convoy. I knew something wasn't right but didn't realise I was witnessing what was to become one of the most talked about off the pitch moments of the decade. Mental!

Allant1981
06-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Mikey's recollections aren't as accurate as you'd hope. The meeting with Rod was after the cup final, not before it. Mikey suggested he was dropped for the cup final because of the meeting, 100% not the case.

I was the only other person in the room in the restaurant that day, before they headed off in the convoy. I knew something wasn't right but didn't realise I was witnessing what was to become one of the most talked about off the pitch moments of the decade. Mental!

Yip, pretty sure the meeting was in april

stantonhibby
06-02-2020, 01:44 PM

Was it not just before the Scottish Cup semi v Dunfy?

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 01:45 PM
It was before the Semi final against Dunfermline but Marbella was three weeks before the league cup final.

Frazerbob
06-02-2020, 01:51 PM
It was about a month or so after we won the cup IIRC so early to mid April.

stantonhibby
06-02-2020, 02:01 PM
The infamous Scott Brown 'don't know' interview was after the 0-0 semi final with Dunfermline I think

B.H.F.C
06-02-2020, 02:06 PM
I still always think that maybe, just maybe, Collins was the one that was right given we won the cup final 5-1.

That’s not to say he was always right, but his methods leading up to that game couldn’t have been that bad.

Frazerbob
06-02-2020, 02:27 PM
The infamous Scott Brown 'don't know' interview was after the 0-0 semi final with Dunfermline I think

Correct.....just after he handed in then rescinded his transfer request IIRC.

The 90+2
06-02-2020, 02:41 PM
Correct.....just after he handed in then rescinded his transfer request IIRC.

Wasn’t it after the replay?

The Baldmans Comb
06-02-2020, 02:44 PM
I was trying to think of that utter pish striker Collins started with in the Scottish Cup Final replay v Dunfermline.

He was so crap I had to look it up and it was a non entity called Damon Gray.

Damon Gray ahead of Steven Fletcher was Collins at his most cavalier and adventuress and also daft.

They all hated each other by then but what a missed opportunity that was to get to the Scottish Cup Final though fair play to Jim McIntyre for his class "Panenka" in extra time.

CloudSquall
06-02-2020, 03:30 PM
We had a huge chance to win the cup double that year given how ***** Celtic were in the final Vs Dunfermline.

hibsbollah
06-02-2020, 03:44 PM
I was trying to think of that utter pish striker Collins started with in the Scottish Cup Final replay v Dunfermline.

He was so crap I had to look it up and it was a non entity called Damon Gray.

Damon Gray ahead of Steven Fletcher was Collins at his most cavalier and adventuress and also daft.

They all hated each other by then but what a missed opportunity that was to get to the Scottish Cup Final though fair play to Jim McIntyre for his class "Panenka" in extra time.

To be fair, Damon Gray was scoring at a ridiculous rate for the old reserve league that season, over a goal a game, regular hattricks and there was a regular clamour on message boards for him to start, it wasn't just Collins. He'd played against Aberdeen in the league (and scored I think?) Fletcher was being used as a wide midfielder a fair bit then too.

I was at that semi final at Hampden, I remember at fulltime saying we should sign a certain Pars centre half that night because hed been immense for them all night, only to be told he was a donkey and I was mad. A certain Sol Bamba.

FilipinoHibs
06-02-2020, 06:15 PM

He says in the interview got dropped because would not commit 100% to Hibs as wanted to keep options open not because of meeting. Don't think he said meeting before final certainly before SC Semi.

Frazerbob
06-02-2020, 06:50 PM
He says in the interview got dropped because would not commit 100% to Hibs as wanted to keep options open not because of meeting. Don't think he said meeting before final certainly before SC Semi.

Not how I remember. He said JC blamed him for the meeting and he was subsequently dropped for the final. Canny be arsed listening again so apologies if I picked it up wrong.

mjhibby
07-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Thoroughly enjoy the podcast. Stewart comes across as a decent guy. I'm sure he remembers the incidents from his point of view. Kevin Thomson backs up a lot of what he said in his podcast so he is probably pretty close to what actually happened. Just a pity Collins didn't have better people skills.

The 90+2
07-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Not how I remember. He said JC blamed him for the meeting and he was subsequently dropped for the final. Canny be arsed listening again so apologies if I picked it up wrong.

The meeting was definitely after the final. He got benched for not signing a new contract. I don’t think he started again for us after his goal against Aberdeen from the corner in the replay of the game Killen got injured big time.

Frazerbob
07-02-2020, 01:33 PM
The meeting was definitely after the final. He got benched for not signing a new contract. I don’t think he started again for us after his goal against Aberdeen from the corner in the replay of the game Killen got injured big time.

I know, we’ve established that lol. The debate has moved on to wether or not Mikey said he was dropped for the final because of the meeting, which was the point of my first post.

The 90+2
07-02-2020, 01:36 PM
I know, we’ve established that lol. The debate has moved on to wether or not Mikey said he was dropped for the final because of the meeting, which was the point of my first post.

He couldn’t have been dropped from the team for the final because the meeting was after that. Mikey maybe meant the Semi Final.

Frazerbob
07-02-2020, 01:37 PM
He couldn’t have been dropped from the team for the final because the meeting was after that. Mikey maybe meant the Semi Final.

I know, that was exactly my point. 😂

The 90+2
07-02-2020, 01:39 PM
I know, that was exactly my point. 😂

Yeah I’m just clarifying 😁

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2007/apr/17/newsstory.sport3

The 90+2
07-02-2020, 01:41 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-hibs-star-michael-stewart-slams-4901566.amp