PDA

View Full Version : we are mid table team with mid table players

familyman
02-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Oh so sad that our team continues to struggle with too many average players.
We have a goalkeeper whose distribution continues to be suspect and a defence that cannot even defend corner kicks.Hamilton at far post corner last league game now this time near post ,same result avoidable goal.
The lack of pace of our back three is truly alarming, not because it is a fact but because it has been that way for too long.last season it was obvious we needed to refresh as Celtic wingers tore us apart.I believe it is preferable to bring in youth .I will not be critical of those that have been loyal servants but it is just the way of things we slow down as we age...The club has in my view dragged its feet on that matter .
Scot Alan seems to want too long on the ball these days..why is that?
Ok a good moan but while it is far far to early to suggest otherwise Docherty looks the part and has the body strength,McNulty kinda disappeared on introduction but we can expect good runs and maybe a goal at Ibrox?
I guess I am content to see out this unsettling season but it would be really good to hear what our New Owner has to say in his vision asap.
We simply cannot tread water again next year ,time for a watershed surely.
I had hoped for a captain with a driving forward and up and at em mentality to be signed in the midfield ..maybe next season!
I feel the is an air of acceptance rather than anticipation around the stands just now.
Come on Hibs how ambitious are we?
Cheer us up with a good cup run at least.:flag:

ahibby
02-02-2020, 10:50 AM
We have a goalkeeper whose distribution continues to be suspect and a defence that cannot even defend corner kicks.Hamilton at far post corner last league game now this time near post ,same result avoidable goal.
The lack of pace of our back three is truly alarming, not because it is a fact but because it has been that way for too long.last season it was obvious we needed to refresh as Celtic wingers tore us apart.I believe it is preferable to bring in youth .I will not be critical of those that have been loyal servants but it is just the way of things we slow down as we age...The club has in my view dragged its feet on that matter .
Ok a good moan but while it is far far to early to suggest otherwise Docherty looks the part and has the body strength,McNulty kinda disappeared on introduction but we can expect good runs and maybe a goal at Ibrox?
I guess I am content to see out this unsettling season but it would be really good to hear what our New Owner has to say in his vision asap.
I had hoped for a captain with a driving forward and up and at em mentality to be signed in the midfield ..maybe next season!
I feel the is an air of acceptance rather than anticipation around the stands just now.

We suspected this before the season started. The club not the manager decided to spend significant part of budget on players in their thirties past their best. Clubs smaller than ours using their smaller budget better. Just look at Livi compared to us an St M yesterday easily mTching us at our home. If RG intervenes then some top people at ojr club respinsible for the model which clearly doesnt work must be replaced.

Alfred E Newman
02-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Deary me.

SlickShoes
02-02-2020, 11:04 AM
I don’t think St Mirren “easily” matched us, they worked really hard to press us and they tired a lot in the second half barely creating a chance. Our defense started from the position of fully asleep and are the reason we drew.. St Mirren done well pressuring us and getting behind the ball at times but we were the architects of our own downfall

Onion
02-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Have already accepted we’re no better than a mid-table team. RG and LD have a job on their hands to instil some confidence that things WILL be better next season.

hibby rae
02-02-2020, 11:12 AM
Actually under Jack Ross our form suggests we are a top 4 team.

Unseen work
02-02-2020, 11:15 AM
The players we now have in the midfield and final third are all very good options, the issue is lack of squad depth.

We really need to sort that defence out though and I still think a leader in the middle of the park.

Our business since Ross has came in has been good, the issue is come summer we will be in the same predicament without McNulty, Docherty and Omeonga, Flo will be back and wanting away just as quick.

I’m confident Ross can sort it out, handing 4 year deals to Gray and McGregor gets more ridiculous with every passing month. Imo it should have been 1 year extensions with a gentleman’s agreement about the role they will go into when their legs give.

I think Ross knows exactly how he wants us to play and how the fans want us to play, the issue is having the players for this.

Big push this season to end on a high, get everyone back from their injuries and fit again, a good pre season and smart early business in the window and well really kick on under our management.

Stuart93
02-02-2020, 11:16 AM
I actually thought St.mirren played some good football at times

Not sure if it was because we were making them look good but they passed the ball about well

Spike Mandela
02-02-2020, 11:18 AM
A few years bouncing around the top six will do us the world of good. Some we’ll be nearer second others nearer sixth but that would do me.

We will have some exciting players I like watching and when transfer windows come round we will able to do some exciting deals.

We had a bad start this year and it looked like we would be scrambling about the bottom of the league like Hearts but that looks unlikely now.

I have seen mediocre Hibs teams and endured some terrible seasons but at the moment if you consider the team in a ten year cycle say, from around the point we were relegated, I would say we are in a pretty good place going forward.

weecounty hibby
02-02-2020, 11:25 AM
A few years bouncing around the top six will do us the world of good. Some we’ll be nearer second others nearer sixth but that would do me.

We will have some exciting players I like watching and when transfer windows come round we will able to do some exciting deals.

We had a bad start this year and it looked like we would be scrambling about the bottom of the league like Hearts but that looks unlikely now.

I have seen mediocre Hibs teams and endured some terrible seasons but at the moment if you consider the team in a ten year cycle say, from around the point we were relegated, I would say we are in a pretty good place going forward.
Brilliant, you must have been drinking early today. You are normally the most pessimistic person I know when it comes to Hibs. Hard to disagree with what you say though. I see steady improvement rather than a boom and bust and spending money we don't have like the Tarts.

The Spaceman
02-02-2020, 11:28 AM
We've got the midfield and attack to challenge for Europe, but the defence of a bottom 6 side. McGinn and Porteous are IMO good enough. Stevenson, Gray, Hanlon and McGregor have all been fabulous players for us, but they all seem to be on the slide just now. New LB and two new brutes for CBs are needed this summer. Also a good CDM to give them protection for certain games.

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 11:33 AM
If we say that positions 1-4 are top, and bottom is 9-12, then the thread title is currently correct.

Steve88
02-02-2020, 11:38 AM
St. Mirren took their chances.

We need a new defence, two new perm strikers and 2 new perm midfielders (Summer transfer window)

We're not going to be competing for European places realistically until the 2021 season begins - The next season will be stepping stones towards this.

Tiny tiny steps..

chrisski33
02-02-2020, 11:41 AM

at least know how to spell the players names. whose Scot Alan?

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 11:59 AM
We've got the midfield and attack to challenge for Europe, but the defence of a bottom 6 side. McGinn and Porteous are IMO good enough. Stevenson, Gray, Hanlon and McGregor have all been fabulous players for us, but they all seem to be on the slide just now. New LB and two new brutes for CBs are needed this summer. Also a good CDM to give them protection for certain games.

Paul Hanlon is only 30 and is going to be with us for a good few years yet. He gets called out every time he makes a mistake, and often even when he doesn't, but his detractors don't give him the credit he deserves when he does well.

Porteous is extremely raw. The coaching team needs to work out how to remove the rashness from his game and make him a more composed player, without cutting his enthusiasm and determination.

Replacing Lewis is going to be difficult. His work rate and commitment is second to none, but at 32, he doesn't have many years left at this level. He is always looking to get involved and I think that because he's so often on the ball, he's bound to make more mistakes so that creates a false impression about his ability. If he was the type to hide, he wouldn't get half the criticism he currently receives.

He's been the favourite scape-goat for most of his career, but the fact that he's been consistently the first pick of 10 managers and 5 caretakers tells us all we need to know about his value to the team.

SDG looks well short of where we need him to be and, now that we've recruited Paul McGinn, I expect him to feature less and less.

I think Jack Ross will know what we need and will bring it in.

jacomo
02-02-2020, 12:09 PM

:agree:

Life’s not so bad.

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2020, 12:19 PM

This post should surely be the consensus. Our legendary back four beed replaced, its simply a birth certificate thing. We should be looking forward to getting on with that next season, instead of bedwetting. It wasn't so long ago that we were talking about being stick ons for relegation. Ross has turned it around but has a major rebuild on his hands. Thankfully, he's already proven he's no PH, so lets back him to get on with it.

makaveli1875
02-02-2020, 12:31 PM
I dont think the squad is any worse than Aberdeen or Motherwell and its better than Livi . We are paying the price for a shocking start to the season

sean04
02-02-2020, 12:32 PM
We’re a top 4 side with a bottom 4 defence

KingPat4
02-02-2020, 01:13 PM
SDG has had a load of injuries to contend with in his career and quite frankly he looked like a 37 year old yesterday. But I'm not convinced he's finished as a player. I think he needs an extended rest, doing light training and in the summer he'll know himself where he stands. Daz has also been out for a while and I think he should be cut a bit of slack until he gets up to speed, I think there's a year or two left in him. Porteous needs the rashness coached out for his potential to be realised. Lewis needs replaced, he's just not good enough anymore. A great career, can't think of another Hibs player with two major cup winners medals.

Bit disappointed with the reaction to the game yesterday. Three new players to bed in,will take time, but showed lots of promise.

Don't think we'll see Kamberi back at Easter Road, thankfully, we'll need another striker in but not convinced about Nisbet.

Overall I feel pretty positive.

:flag::flag::flag:

Weegreenman
02-02-2020, 01:18 PM
We can’t seem to pass the ball around at pace. Other teams come to our home and continually out play us.
I think most supporters are quite happy we’ve brought in a few players but I think even that doesn’t cover the cracks that are blatant obvious. A patch up job just doesn’t wash I’m afraid.

A total rebuild in the summer is what is needed. By then I think we’ll have lost a couple of thousand on the gate.

Before any of you smart ***** reply, that was St.Mirren at home yesterday. We are truly average beyond belief.

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2020, 01:45 PM
We’re a top 4 side with a bottom 4 defence

Defending is a team game, if the defence are bottom 4 than means the entire team is.

The Modfather
02-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Paul Hanlon is only 30 and is going to be with us for a good few years yet. He gets called out every time he makes a mistake, and often even when he doesn't, but his detractors don't give him the credit he deserves when he does well.

Porteous is extremely raw. The coaching team needs to work out how to remove the rashness from his game and make him a more composed player, without cutting his enthusiasm and determination.

Replacing Lewis is going to be difficult. His work rate and commitment is second to none, but at 32, he doesn't have many years left at this level. He is always looking to get involved and I think that because he's so often on the ball, he's bound to make more mistakes so that creates a false impression about his ability. If he was the type to hide, he wouldn't get half the criticism he currently receives.

He's been the favourite scape-goat for most of his career, but the fact that he's been consistently the first pick of 10 managers and 5 caretakers tells us all we need to know about his value to the team.

SDG looks well short of where we need him to be and, now that we've recruited Paul McGinn, I expect him to feature less and less.

I think Jack Ross will know what we need and will bring it in.

For all his criticism, hiding is one thing that can never be labelled at Stevenson, I’ve a lot of admiration for him on that score, among other attributes. However I think it’s been a noticeable tactic for a few years now that teams specifically allow us time and space on the left and allow Stevenson as an out ball as more often than not Stevenson on the ball wont cause the opposition many problems.

where'stheslope
02-02-2020, 01:53 PM
I dont think the squad is any worse than Aberdeen or Motherwell and its better than Livi . We are paying the price for a shocking start to the season
So how did they manage to have a good start?
I think its all down to the players not believing in our old manager, as they seem to have picked up as soon as Ross came in?
Which is sad as Heckingbottom brought a few of them in, yet they appeared not to want to play for him????

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2020, 01:59 PM
So how did they manage to have a good start?
I think its all down to the players not believing in our old manager, as they seem to have picked up as soon as Ross came in?
Which is sad as Heckingbottom brought a few of them in, yet they appeared not to want to play for him????

Our manager was *****. Thats it.

greenlex
02-02-2020, 02:03 PM
Actually under Jack Ross our form suggests we are a top 4 team.

Stop it. We need a good hand wringing session.

CockneyRebel
02-02-2020, 02:07 PM
at least know how to spell the players names. whose Scot Alan?

Does it matter? Really? You know who he meant. It's the opinion/contribution to the post that matters shirley?

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 02:17 PM
For all his criticism, hiding is one thing that can never be labelled at Stevenson, I’ve a lot of admiration for him on that score, among other attributes. However I think it’s been a noticeable tactic for a few years now that teams specifically allow us time and space on the left and allow Stevenson as an out ball as more often than not Stevenson on the ball wont cause the opposition many problems.

You've made that suggestion before, but it's not correct and it's very insulting to Lewis. The opposition close him down as quickly as any other player. If they didn't, he wouldn't be under any pressure and he wouldn't make any mistakes.

SDG is always given plenty room to bomb up the right wing when he makes himself available on the touchline. Defenders don't mark or close those wide players down until they become a threat.

The Modfather
02-02-2020, 02:26 PM
You've made that suggestion before, but it's not correct and it's very insulting to Lewis. The opposition close him down as quickly as any other player. If they didn't, he wouldn't be under any pressure and he wouldn't make any mistakes.

SDG is always given plenty room to bomb up the right wing when he makes himself available on the touchline. Defenders don't mark or close those wide players down until they become a threat.

I don’t see how it’s insulting. I pointed out some of his admirable attributes, then commented on a tactic that looked very deliberate to me, not necessarily yesterday, but felt it has been noticeable in various games. Others have also pointed this out before so don’t think I’m alone in what I feel I’ve seen.

KingPat4
02-02-2020, 02:34 PM
I don’t see how it’s insulting. I pointed out some of his admirable attributes, then commented on a tactic that looked very deliberate to me, not necessarily yesterday, but felt it has been noticeable in various games. Others have also pointed this out before so don’t think I’m alone in what I feel I’ve seen.

Lewis Stevenson is not good enough. Time to ditch the sentiment surrounding him.

sean04
02-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Defending is a team game, if the defence are bottom 4 than means the entire team is.

Defenders switching off from corner kicks, full back getting skinned. Conceding soft goals all year. Giving teams goals

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 02:36 PM

It read to me that the opposition have the attitude "he's sheite, let him have the ball" which you will agree, is insulting. Fair enough if you didn't mean it like that.

I still disagree that he is given more time than anyone else, though, but I'll pay specific attention to that, and to how Paul McGinn is treated in future.

sean04
02-02-2020, 02:38 PM
I honestly think teams look at hibs defence and think we’re going to get some joy here. Let’s have a go at the full backs

EI255
02-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Get a decent finish, top six, then regroup summer.

For the umpteenth year? (!!)

I do think Ross Jack will come good with good players in.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

The Modfather
02-02-2020, 02:42 PM
It read to me that the opposition have the attitude "he's sheite, let him have the ball" which you will agree, is insulting. Fair enough if you didn't mean it like that.

I still disagree that he is given more time than anyone else, though, but I'll pay specific attention to that, and to how Paul McGinn is treated in future.

That’s certainly an overly negative way to put it, but that’s the sentiment I’ve seen in various games. We will have employed similar tactics to opposition players.

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Lewis Stevenson is not good enough. Time to ditch the sentiment surrounding him.

People have been saying Lewis isn't good enough for 10 years. Fortunately, the people who choose the team, and know what they're talking about, have always thought otherwise.

There's no sentiment involved. When the time comes that a player's performance levels drop below what we require, fans will accept that change is needed. You can see that happening with SDG and Fax now, but it's not the case with Lewis yet.

Brooster
02-02-2020, 02:51 PM
The back 5 who started yesterday all need replaced if we are to improve. The full backs were particularly bad yesterday.

wookie70
02-02-2020, 02:54 PM
I think it is as much down to the defensive abilities of our midfield particularly out wide and just in front of the centre halves. Even with two sitting against Dundee United Whittaker was in and around their box all the time and the wide me played in advanced positions. It makes us good to watch at times but also wide open to quick attacks.

TimeForHeroes16
02-02-2020, 03:02 PM
Allan
Boyle
Doidge
Omeonga
Marciano
Mcnulty
Docherty

majority of our first 11 are not mid table players.

Allan has 9 goals 9 assists.
boyle has played 3 months of this season.
doidge need I say more? To save me going on the fact is we don’t have mid table players we have a mid table defence

KingPat4
02-02-2020, 03:08 PM
Allan
Boyle
Doidge
Omeonga
Marciano
Mcnulty
Docherty

majority of our first 11 are not mid table players.

Allan has 9 goals 9 assists.
boyle has played 3 months of this season.
doidge need I say more? To save me going on the fact is we don’t have mid table players we have a mid table defence

If we can get Naismith back, I would put him in that bracket too.

B.H.F.C
02-02-2020, 03:23 PM
I think it is as much down to the defensive abilities of our midfield particularly out wide and just in front of the centre halves. Even with two sitting against Dundee United Whittaker was in and around their box all the time and the wide me played in advanced positions. It makes us good to watch at times but also wide open to quick attacks.

Some more stability in the middle of the park would undoubtedly help. But yesterday was just basic individual errors from our defenders. As it was from Jackson during the week despite the quality from Shankland.

The back four are going to get tested at times, no midfield in the world will prevent that completely, and when ours do they rarely stand up to the test IMO.

BlackSheep
02-02-2020, 03:48 PM
I shouldn’t be surprised but it still boggles my mind how negatively hibs fans can be...!

Right now I think Jack Ross is doing a great job of creating the beginnings of a new team and style of play. Yes we are looking for a top half finish with a rebuild in the summer and yes it’s not the first time it’s been said, but we have had 3 new managers in 4 years, it’s to be expected.

Yesterday, once we got going, we looked quite impressive at times.

A bit of patience is needed.

MyJo
02-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Since sacking Heckingbottom we are actually the joint third best team in the league alongside Livingston. (We’re ahead of them by one more goal scored)

Celtic - played 12 - 33 points - +24 gd
Rangers - played 13 - 29 points - +16gd
Hibs -played 12 - 21 points - +6gd
Livi - played 12 - 21 points - +6gd
Motherwell - played 12 - 20 points - +3gd
Aberdeen - played 12 - 17 points - 0gd
St Johnstone - played 12 - 15 points - -8gd
St Mirren - played 13 - 13 points - -7gd
Killie - played 12 - 11 points - -11gd
Hamilton - played 12 - 10 points - -10gd
Hearts - played 13 - 10 points - -12gd
Ross County - played 12 - 8 points - -16gd

greenlex
02-02-2020, 04:33 PM
I shouldn’t be surprised but it still boggles my mind how negatively hibs fans can be...!

Right now I think Jack Ross is doing a great job of creating the beginnings of a new team and style of play. Yes we are looking for a top half finish with a rebuild in the summer and yes it’s not the first time it’s been said, but we have had 3 new managers in 4 years, it’s to be expected.

Yesterday, once we got going, we looked quite impressive at times.

A bit of patience is needed.
Steady man. It’ll never catch on.

DetroitHibs
02-02-2020, 04:49 PM
People have been saying Lewis isn't good enough for 10 years. Fortunately, the people who choose the team, and know what they're talking about, have always thought otherwise.

There's no sentiment involved. When the time comes that a player's performance levels drop below what we require, fans will accept that change is needed. You can see that happening with SDG and Fax now, but it's not the case with Lewis yet.

You could also say we have been a primarily bottom six team in those ten years with three years in the lower league. Might say more about the players that have been there during that entire spell.