PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St. Mirren 01 02 20)

Jonnyboy
01-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Let’s get the positives out of the way first. Starting with the trip to Tannadice we’ve played five games, winning two and drawing three. Avoiding defeat is always a positive and given our propensity for leaking goals it’s to their credit that the team managed such a return. There were some other positives but I’ll come back to them later. Sadly there were a good few negatives too, not least of which was the dismal first half performance by our back five. Add to that the fact that of our midfield four, only one seemed tuned in when it came to winning second balls whilst the supply to our front men was sadly lacking.

In terms of team selection, Gray replaced James; McGregor replaced Jackson and Omeonga replaced Whittaker. There was a place on the bench for McGinn, McNulty and Docherty but no sign of Jackson, Slivka or James.

Soon after the kick off a cracking cross from Horgan was met by the head of Doidge who headed wide from close range. To the striker’s relief the flag had gone up for offside. From that point on it became evident that St. Mirren weren’t here to sit and soak up pressure. Instead they were open and expansive and were soon causing problems for the Hibs back line. Obika was causing all sorts of problems for our central defenders whilst the St. Mirren wingbacks were playing high up the park.

As the quarter hour approached, Hibs went behind to a goal that seconds before I had predicted to my brother. It came from a corner and as the feigned to go short it drew Stevenson and Horgan towards the ball, leaving a massive gap at Marciano’s front post which was seized upon as McCarthy lost his marker and headed in to the vacant net. This was schoolboy defending and was punished in the severest of ways.

Every ball in to our area seemed to cause panic and Marciano hardly covered himself in glory by staying rooted on his line or indeed fumbling the ball and luckily getting away with that. The panic was evident again when the visitors doubled their lead five minutes after the first. A long diagonal ball deceived David Gray who then made a hash of his attempt to tackle allowing Durmus to hit the bye line before rolling the ball to an unmarked Andreu who gleefully fired home from ten yards.

This was shocking stuff from Hibs but credit must go to St. Mirren who looked dangerous in attack and compact in defence. I was beginning to wonder if and how we might get back into the game when Allan intercepted in midfield racing forward before unloading to Boyle who drew his marker before slotting the ball back into the path of Allan who scored from about sixteen yards. Stung into action the visitors spurned two chances to extend their lead with Obika firing wide and Morias doing the same soon after.

With half time fast approaching, Hibs drew level when persistent challenging by Horgan and Omeonga saw the latter wriggle free on the left before standing up a cross into the middle which was falling slightly behind Doidge but the big striker contorted his body to ensure his head met the ball and the effort looped over Hladky and into the far corner.

The half time talk revolved around the poor showing from our back five and it was no surprise when Paul McGinn replaced an out of touch and possibly injured again David Gray. Not long after, Newell limped off to be replaced by Greg Docherty and it has to be said that the changes had a positive effect as Hibs were now much more in the game. A free kick from Allan found the head of McGregor but the effort was slightly off target and then on the hour mark Horgan was replaced by another debutant as McNulty joined the play.

I’ll be honest here and say that I had now formed the impression that we could go on and win the game because St. Mirren did not drop into defence as I had thought they might. Instead they kept coming at us and a combination of poor finishing and at last some decent defending kept them out.

Scott Allan nearly won us the points when his inswinging corner deceived the keeper but crashed off the bar rather than dropping into the net. Still the visitors came at us but our midfield looked far stronger following the introduction of Docherty who demonstrated an admirable work rate, good passing and a turn of pace I hadn’t noticed in him before.

As time was running out the game became a little scrappy with both sets of players rushing passes or choosing the wrong option and so when the final whistle blew I felt that over the piece a draw was a fair result.

The players

Marciano - Rocky, at times looked, well ………. rocky. He fumbled the ball twice, punched when he could have caught and returned to the ways of his terrible distribution. Someone nearby to me suggested he is our best keeper but I’m not sure I agree.

Gray – SDG struggled badly in the half he played and was often beaten as he tried to defend. It did not surprise me one little bit when he was replaced at half time.

McGregor – Daz had problems with the man mountain that is Obika and it’s not often our man is outmuscled as much as he was today.

Hanlon – I may be doing Paul an injustice but I think it was him that was left flat footed as McCarthy left him for dead at the first goal.

Stevenson – Sadly I have to say Lewis was awful today although he did win some crucial tackles which his back four team mates were not doing for the bulk of the first half especially. I thought he was lucky in only getting a yellow for a shocking tackle right in front of the benches. I also noted that he accepted his punishment and appeared to be apologising to Jim Goodwin for the challenge.

Boyle – Martin wasn’t involved a lot today but credit to him for setting up the Scott Allan goal. What I did pick up on was the fact that his pace was matched by their left back Calum Waters who looks a decent player.

Omeonga – In a first half where his fellow midfielders went missing at second balls I thought he was a big plus in terms of his endless energy and ability to make timely tackles. His cross for the equaliser was a peach and his defending as virtually last man near the end was excellent. Stephane gets my man of the match award.

Newall – Joe was struggling to make the sort of impact we’ve witnessed in his last two outings but to be fair to him he did make the effort to burst forward with the ball when the opportunity arose. Given how quickly he was replaced in the second half I can only assume he picked up an injury.

Allan – I thought Scotty had a kind of patchy game in that he was ineffective for periods of time and then heavily involved at others. Started and finished the move for our first goal and I can’t wait for the inevitable occasion when one of his reverse passes actually reaches a team mate.

Horgan – Daryl played his part in our equaliser although ironically he almost tackled his own player in Omeonga in the build up. That would have been ironic because as far as I can see, Daryl doesn’t do tackling.

Doidge – That’s another fine goal from the big fella, who once again worked his socks off. Christian did enough to win the man of the match from the sponsor so well done to him.

McGinn – Aside from the pleasure I get from typing the name McGinn I have to say I thought his was a solid debut. Paul defended well and got forward a few times, providing decent crosses into the box. I’d wager he’ll keep his place for a while.

Docherty – I was very impressed with Greg’s contribution as his movement, pace and range of passing brought much needed life to our midfield.

McNulty – Someone on here said Marc was stones overweight when he resigned and if that’s true I want a copy of the diet sheet that ensures you can lose said stones overnight.

Jack Ross – Once again I’ve no idea what he said in his after match interview but I’d like to think he voiced disappointment at the overall performance whilst acknowledging the effort to get back level after such a shocking start.

The fans – The debate about the placement of the singing section has been done to death so I’m not going to add to it. I’d simply say that from my seat in the centre of the East I had no problem hearing the visiting fans whilst I was also aware of sporadic Hibs chants but also long periods of relative silence.

David Munro – This may be the first time I’ve seen this referee but I reckon he’s from the Bobby Madden school of letting some things go so that the game will flow. Overall, I thought he did ok.

Baldy Foghorn
01-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Thought James was on the bench, and thought it was Daz who lost marker for the opener.

We were well off the pace for the first 30 or so.

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 07:02 PM
Think you’re being a big harsh on Stevenson today, he wasn’t awful.

I was watching him closely and he was constantly having to tell Horgan where to be, who to mark etc.

He got next to no support from Horgan yet again.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Your assessment of the back 5 is from the same game I was watching, it's been an issue all season and all the chopping and changing, some of it enforced, can't be helping. I'd only give Hanlon pass marks and I'd second HGs point about Stevenson having little or no help from Horgan, I still thought he was pretty poor though.

Frankly I'm just looking forward to this league season being over, I had high hopes but it's just a bit of a grind. Hopefully the Scottish Cup provides a bit excitement in the coming weeks.

Conj
01-02-2020, 07:08 PM
Thought James was on the bench, and thought it was Daz who lost marker for the opener.

James definitely was on the bench. Hanlon lost his man, who then got in front of McGregor who was meant to be spare.

thebakerboy
01-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Great report as always I really look forward to these reports after every game. It was McGregor beaten at post for first goal but it shouldnt have been a corner it was a throw in as signaled by Assistant ref over ruled by Ref , but we should still have defended it better. How ref can decide from 30/40 yards away over lino from 3 feet I don't understand.

hibbydad

I agree with you my friend Baldy the defence wil require major surgery in the summer

Hermit Crab
James definitely was on the bench. Hanlon lost his man, who then got in front of McGregor who was meant to be spare.

At corners there should never be a defender spare. All defenders should be picking up an opposing player unless they're on post duties.

Conj
01-02-2020, 07:20 PM
At corners there should never be a defender spare. All defenders should be picking up an opposing player unless they're on post duties.

Well McGregor was standing on his own at the edge of the six yard box not marking anyone before the corner so was obviously meant to be a spare man, while Hanlon was picking up the guy who lost him, got in front of McGregor and scored

Kojock
01-02-2020, 07:21 PM
Our back four of Gray, Hanlon, McGregor and Stevenson are the Dads Army of the SPL. The goals we lost were criminal Scott Alan was so far off the pace I have no idea why he wasn’t subbed. We had 11 corners and apart from the one that struck the bar the rest were woeful. As for our throw ins what exactly do they do at East Mains. Poor performance all round FFS it was St. Mirren we were playing not Barcelona.

skyhibs
01-02-2020, 07:24 PM
There was no pass marks for any Hibernian player... absolutely shocking... grey and Stevenson were murder... the midfield were missing and no strike force... would love to say it was an off day but this will be normal service with the **** we have

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2020, 07:24 PM
Our back four of Gray, Hanlon, McGregor and Stevenson are the Dads Army of the SPL. The goals we lost were criminal Scott Alan was so far off the pace I have no idea why he wasn’t subbed. We had 11 corners and apart from the one that struck the bar the rest were woeful. As for our throw ins what exactly do they do at East Mains. Poor performance all round FFS it was St. Mirren we were playing not Barcelona.

We made St Mirren look like Barca at times in the first half

We did well to stay in the game

Ellahappyhibee
01-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Man of the match would be McGinn or Docherty. both were huge upgrade on Horgan and Gray and impressed with positive tackling, passing and crossing.
Just wish Hibs would be switched on from the start of a game. Perhaps Ross needs to be ruthless towards Gray, Stevenson and MacGregor and put his trust in other players, I thought Hanlon was ok. I was surprised Gray started, he has not impressed all season and maybe his time as regular starter (if fit) is over.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Have you actually ever played football. Having spare players is a tactic used by loads of teams to pick up runners. You really are clueless about football.

Often required when their defensive partner doesn’t match the run of the opposing player.

greenlex
01-02-2020, 07:38 PM
There was no pass marks for any Hibernian player... absolutely shocking... grey and Stevenson were murder... the midfield were missing and no strike force... would love to say it was an off day but this will be normal service with the **** we have

😂😂😂 Cheer up FFS. Hearts got a point.

skyhibs
01-02-2020, 08:08 PM
😂😂😂 Cheer up FFS. Hearts got a point.
Some idiots in this place

The Harp Awakes
01-02-2020, 08:28 PM
The way we have started the home games v Hamilton and St Mirren is completely unacceptable. Both teams ave played us off the park in the first 30 mins. Something still isn't right with the team. I think the new boys will improve us but I'm more worried about the attitude and inconsistency. Hope Ross is not making life too comfy for the players - that's the way it looks.

greenlex
01-02-2020, 08:30 PM

You’re no wrong.

CMurdoch
01-02-2020, 08:43 PM
1st St Mirren goal is well worked and from the training ground.
Hanlon is marking the eventual scorer who is in a line with another St Mirren player and the eventual point of contact on the corner of the 6 yard box. Daz is standing a couple of yards from that contact point.
The ball is played perfectly from the corner to the eventual point of contact. As it's taken the scorer makes the run past his colleague who blocks Hanlon. The scorer is running and by this method out jumps McGregor who although running to head the ball can't get the same spring .
The key is the quality of the ball from the corner which lands in exactly the right place and the blocker who stops Hanlon in his tracks.
In conclusion not the fault of Hanlon and McGregor just a very well worked set piece.

Exhibit 1:
https://twitter.com/M5Buddie/status/1223690161503993862?s=19

Leith Green
01-02-2020, 08:44 PM
If we are going to play one up top then im amazed we didnt look to improve the left forward position. Horgan is so frustrating to watch and useless most of the time

Borderhibbie76
01-02-2020, 09:17 PM

There sure are

IberianHibernian
01-02-2020, 09:19 PM
If we are going to play one up top then im amazed we didnt look to improve the left forward position. Horgan is so frustrating to watch and useless most of the timeIt wasn`t one of Horgan`s better matches but I certainly wouldn`t describe him as useless Even when things weren`t coming off for him he was always looking for the ball and trying things . When he first arrived he was substituted cause he was tired but now it seems to be a case of he`s a midfielder and / or forward so an obvious choice to come off whoever is coming on . Frustrating I agree but mainly because his teammates don`t seem to think as fast as him .

04Sauzee
01-02-2020, 09:21 PM
If we are going to play one up top then im amazed we didnt look to improve the left forward position. Horgan is so frustrating to watch and useless most of the time

Put in an offer for Miller of Hamilton

IberianHibernian
01-02-2020, 09:35 PM
As always enjoyed reading match report here . Think St Mirren deserve some praise too . They seem to try to play good football and sign talented players . They deserve to be higher up the league and I hope they steer well clear of relegation . Goodwin could be a good future Hibs manager for those Hibs fans like me who value good football as well as results .
2 common themes of This Is How It Feels this season seem to be defending Lewis and criticising Horgan so today`s comments about Lewis stick out a lot . Maybe the first time Lewis has been criticised much . Agree about yellow card - if it had been red not many would have complained including Lewis himself .

judas
01-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Balanced as ever and a great review of the game.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2020, 10:19 PM
Horgan second touch is invariably a tackle he doesn’t win.

O'Rourke3
01-02-2020, 10:23 PM
As always enjoyed reading match report here . Think St Mirren deserve some praise too . They seem to try to play good football and sign talented players . They deserve to be higher up the league and I hope they steer well clear of relegation . Goodwin could be a good future Hibs manager for those Hibs fans like me who value good football as well as results .
2 common themes of This Is How It Feels this season seem to be defending Lewis and criticising Horgan so today`s comments about Lewis stick out a lot . Maybe the first time Lewis has been criticised much . Agree about yellow card - if it had been red not many would have complained including Lewis himself .It was never a red.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2020, 10:26 PM
Brilliant as ever Jonnyboy

I agree with all of your comments

Iggy Pope
01-02-2020, 10:32 PM

It’s Gray.
With a wee ‘g’, then grey is a very gloomy thing.
Gray though, with a big G’ and an ‘a’ is a wonderful thing with a big beautiful Berwick upon Tweed that changed everything.

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2020, 11:21 PM
First things first, simply as a fitba fan ... That was a very decent watch as entertainment for the second time in a week at Easter Road, simply because both visiting teams came to attack, if every game in Scotland was like those two Scottish football would thrive.

There were positives and negatives, we were poor in the first 25 minutes but at least we had enough about us to level before half time. Even though St Mirren kept coming at us we were far better after half time and a bit of luck could have seen us get a winner.

Marciano ... 5 ... Nowhere at either goal and hit some totally aimless ball up field under little pressure.

Gray ... 5 .... Roasted for their second goal and yet again got injured. Its a recurring theme with SDG and I'm beginning to fear for him and his career.

McGregor ... 6 ... Had a real handful with their forwards but was mostly ok.

Hanlon ... 6 .... Pretty well the same as Daz, was ok but has to take his share of the blame for a poor overall defensive effort from everybody for 30 minutes.

Stevenson ... 6 ... Had a tough job coz at times St Mirrens right side moved the ball very well, as others have said he gets little help from Horgan. Didn't offer anything of note going forward. For a player who hardly ever gets booked that's two in a week and he was lucky only to get a yellow for what looked like a pretty reckless challenge.

Omeonga ... 8 ... Buzzed about and was the only midfielder who offered anything in the first half, he tried hard to win the ball and keep it moving for 90 minutes.

Newell ... 5 .... Didn't do a lot before being subbed.

Allan ... 6 .... He does look a bit short of fitness and like a few I'm beginning to wonder if he's carrying an injury or some other ailment. Scored though which hopefully will help his confidence.

Horgan ... 6 ... You cant fault the guy for effort, at least he tries to make an impact, the trouble is most of the time his efforts come to naught.

Boyle .... 5 .... Sorry Boyler but that's been coming mate, at one point my mate asked if he was still on the pitch. I thought there was something amiss with him against Dundee United on Tuesday and his performance today was similar to that one ... I don't know what the problem is but since that game at Tannadice he seems to have lost his mojo a bit ... could he be disappointed that nobody came in for him?

Doidge ... 7 .... I thought he battled manfully at times without much backup, as the game wore on he won more and more in the air and of course scored yet again.

SUBS.

McGinn ... 6 ... Played pretty well down the right side and certainly looks like he could be a very decent addition, which is just as well give our woes at right back.

Docherty ... 6 ... nearly a 7 which aint bad for a 2nd half sub. If that's how he plays with little game time under his belt I am chuffed we have him, brought pace, power and energy, not afraid to take on a man either. In one half of football I think he put to bed any questions of what his commitment is going to be like.

McNulty ...5 .... Hardly got a kick of the ball, but certainly didn't look unfit or overweight.

What concerns me about us at the moment is the way our on field organisation appears to fall apart at times. I see it in a lot of our games where our discipline goes and defensively from the midfield to our back line we look so ragged. Do that at Ibrox and we will get another thumping to a Huns team we have already conceded a hat full of goals to this season.

BILLYHIBS
02-02-2020, 05:17 AM
Excellent report

I agree re Boyle but thought he helped turn the game versus Dundee United on Tuesday at 2-2 chasing lost causes harassing defenders into mistakes using his pace and closing them down

Strange one reNewall I wonder if he picked up an injury?

HiBremian
02-02-2020, 07:38 AM
Hanlon is marking the eventual scorer who is in a line with another St Mirren player and the eventual point of contact on the corner of the 6 yard box. Daz is standing a couple of yards from that contact point.
The ball is played perfectly from the corner to the eventual point of contact. As it's taken the scorer makes the run past his colleague who blocks Hanlon. The scorer is running and by this method out jumps McGregor who although running to head the ball can't get the same spring .
The key is the quality of the ball from the corner which lands in exactly the right place and the blocker who stops Hanlon in his tracks.
In conclusion not the fault of Hanlon and McGregor just a very well worked set piece.

Exhibit 1:

Finally a post that actually analyses how we lost the first goal, thanks. In fact I’m pretty sure we’ve lost a few goals from the same blocking tactic this season. As you say, Daz didn’t have the momentum to challenge the scorer. But what about the marker of the guy doing the blocking. Think it was Doidge yesterday, who looks lost when the ball is delivered. Either way, this is a tactic that will keep coming back at us, and we need to learn to deal with it in training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
02-02-2020, 08:02 AM

Not correct many teams play zonal marking so the player is marking an area rather than a player. Some teams will play man to man marking most teams will play a mix of zonal and man marking. Many teams including Hibs I think have no players on the posts at corners.

JimBHibees
02-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Excellent report

I agree re Boyle but thought he helped turn the game versus Dundee United on Tuesday at 2-2 chasing lost causes harassing defenders into mistakes using his pace and closing them down

Strange one reNewall I wonder if he picked up an injury?

Looked to me like he was surprised to be taken off rather than injury but completely guessing on injury.

JimBHibees
02-02-2020, 08:11 AM

Exhibit 1:

Spot on analysis and the video shows it. Certainly well worked however imo both central defenders should be doing better Hanlon on not being so easily blocked indeed did we not have an identical one on Tuesday when Shankland blazed over and McGregor probably should attack the area better.

Greenbeard
02-02-2020, 08:20 AM
It wasn`t one of Horgan`s better matches but I certainly wouldn`t describe him as useless Even when things weren`t coming off for him he was always looking for the ball and trying things . When he first arrived he was substituted cause he was tired but now it seems to be a case of he`s a midfielder and / or forward so an obvious choice to come off whoever is coming on . Frustrating I agree but mainly because his teammates don`t seem to think as fast as him .
Head-down Horgan does some good things. Maybe 10% of the time, if I am being generous.
Typical head-down shot in the second half was decent enough, but any half-good player would have dinked a wee pass through to Boyle who was in a great scoring position. He just doesn't see the game in front of him and I usually have the impression that any decent things he does are pot luck.

JimBHibees
02-02-2020, 08:21 AM
2 common themes of This Is How It Feels this season seem to be defending Lewis and criticising Horgan so today`s comments about Lewis stick out a lot . Maybe the first time Lewis has been criticised much . Agree about yellow card - if it had been red not many would have complained including Lewis himself .

Totally agree about St Mirren was very impressed with them and more than held their own and on another day would have won. Thought their left back Waters looked very promising (I see he is loaned from Killie which seems odd to me) and Cammy McPherson in centre mid was good on the ball and competed well. It will take a few weeks for us to get settled team with all the changes and we could do with no midweek games at present unfortunately that isn't the case. Does seem to be a fair bit of rotation going on whether that was down to injury (were Jackson and Whitty injured?) or managers selection? Was surprised Gray started especially given James played 2 games back to back and Durmis is a lively winger. Goodwin is doing a good job with them that is for sure and they have pretty much competed in every games they have played this season including old firm.

JimBHibees
02-02-2020, 08:23 AM
Head-down Horgan does some good things. Maybe 10% of the time, if I am being generous.
Typical head-down shot in the second half was decent enough, but any half-good player would have dinked a wee pass through to Boyle who was in a great scoring position. He just doesn't see the game in front of him and I usually have the impression that any decent things he does are pot luck.

I also find him frustrating a ball broke into his path just outside the box in the second half and looked perfect for first time strike however he then took a touch which allowed Saints players to block it.

PeeJay
02-02-2020, 08:23 AM
Good honest report as ever - McGinn and Docherty both looked good additions to the team, but time will tell - McNulty's debut was benign, but we know what he is capable of - thought Saints made a good game of it and made us look very poor at times. We make it very difficult for ourselves as well for some reason - thought Allan had a really good game. On this showing top 6 is a long way from being a certainty. Lots of work required ... Marciano "fumbled" the ball as you say, but the conditions - to be fair - were treacherous ...

Keith_M
02-02-2020, 08:29 AM
Our support seem to be on a downer as well. The atmosphere at most home games just now is absolutely dire (aside from visiting fans.. and the valiant efforts of the ever dwindling number of Since-1875)

I think maybe yet another indifferent season is getting to the fans, most of whom can't seem to get too excited about games.

eastcoasthibby
02-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Your assessment of the back 5 is from the same game I was watching, it's been an issue all season and all the chopping and changing, some of it enforced, can't be helping. I'd only give Hanlon pass marks and I'd second HGs point about Stevenson having little or no help from Horgan, I still thought he was pretty poor though.

Frankly I'm just looking forward to this league season being over, I had high hopes but it's just a bit of a grind. Hopefully the Scottish Cup provides a bit excitement in the coming weeks.

The issue in front of Stevenson has been all season and in Horgan how many times do our managers need to see that Daryl is an impact player coming on as a sub ...very rarely has he contributed very much at all from being in a starting 11 ...the left side of our team ahead of the full back position which can be a problem on its own ..has not been resolved in 2 seasons ...I seriously hope we are looking for at least 2 naturally left sides players that can play either as left back midfield or wing back .....I have a lot of time for Lewis but we need to bite the bullet and get a good replacement in next season, happy to have him as cover

Bobby's Cinema
02-02-2020, 09:06 AM
I came away happy enough. An open game, a hibs team that had a go and scored goals but didn’t quite get there in the end.

Bobby's Cinema
02-02-2020, 09:08 AM
The issue in front of Stevenson has been all season and in Horgan how many times do our managers need to see that Daryl is an impact player coming on as a sub ...very rarely has he contributed very much at all from being in a starting 11 ...the left side of our team ahead of the full back position which can be a problem on its own ..has not been resolved in 2 seasons ...I seriously hope we are looking for at least 2 naturally left sides players that can play either as left back midfield or wing back .....I have a lot of time for Lewis but we need to bite the bullet and get a good replacement in next season, happy to have him as cover
Agree with the Horgan issue, fitness still doesn’t appear up to scratch he cannot last the 90 its only going to become more exposed as we have not replaced Kamberi he will be in there.

greenlex
02-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Agree with the Horgan issue, fitness still doesn’t appear cup to scratch he cannot last the 90 its only going to become more exposed as we have not replaced Kamberi he will be in there.

Gullan will get a start sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

500miles
02-02-2020, 09:43 AM
I know Ross might have wanted to give all his new players a run out, but McNulty seemed miles off it. Gullan might have given us more penetration on the day. I hope him and Fraser Murray get a chance against BSC Glasgow.

emerald green
02-02-2020, 10:21 AM
St Mirren, the SPL team with still the lowest goals for (GF) scored so far this season (19) looked like they could score every time they came near Hibs penalty box, particularly in that first half hour. St Mirren, the team some local journos were telling us they can't score and have "nothing up front" and so on. :rolleyes:

As the OP says, it was "panic stations" at times in the Hibs defence.

Club legend David Gray should not be playing if he is not 100% fit. Marciano looked very uncertain in goal. Age is creeping up on other club legends Daz and Lewis. I think we're in for a very difficult night at Greyskull. I wonder if Kamberi will play?

Robbo6-2
02-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Gullan will get a start sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

He canny even get in the squad.

Id say Murray is ahead of him for that position

Since452
02-02-2020, 11:13 AM
Expected us to go on and win the game 2nd half but felt we started it with no intensity. We were slow and ponderous when we should have had them on the ropes after coming back.

Docherty looks a right player

Green_one
02-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Man of the match would be McGinn or Docherty. both were huge upgrade on Horgan and Gray and impressed with positive tackling, passing and crossing.
Just wish Hibs would be switched on from the start of a game. Perhaps Ross needs to be ruthless towards Gray, Stevenson and MacGregor and put his trust in other players, I thought Hanlon was ok. I was surprised Gray started, he has not impressed all season and maybe his time as regular starter (if fit) is over.

Yip, impressed with McGinn and Docherty. Not at all clear about Gray’s fitness. Looks to struggle and short of real game time.

PISTOL1875
02-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Hanlon once again unable to do the basic art of tracking his man and then blaming Doidge for him scoring.. How he is selected every week totally baffles me .......................

David Gray sleeping for the second. Firstly gives the forward far too much space and then lets him stroll past him unchallenged..

Nothing more than shambolic defending yet again..............

brog
02-02-2020, 07:59 PM
Hanlon once again unable to do the basic art of tracking his man and then blaming Doidge for him scoring.. How he is selected every week totally baffles me .......................

David Gray sleeping for the second. Firstly gives the forward far too much space and then lets him stroll past him unchallenged..

Nothing more than shambolic defending yet again..............

Your continual negative comments, without justification, about Hanlon are extremely tiresome.

PISTOL1875
02-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Your continual negative comments, without justification, about Hanlon are extremely tiresome.

Am I wrong in being critical of him regarding the first goal ? It was clearly highlighted on sportscene if you were able to watch it ..........

As for not having justification , that is complete nonsense.. Before making any comment on any player I always make sure I check footage from TV..

You are clearly one of these fans wh simply doesn't want to see how poor he actually is and has been for a considerable period of time now....

erin go bragh
02-02-2020, 08:05 PM
St Mirren, the SPL team with still the lowest goals for (GF) scored so far this season (19) looked like they could score every time they came near Hibs penalty box, particularly in that first half hour. St Mirren, the team some local journos were telling us they can't score and have "nothing up front" and so on. :rolleyes:

As the OP says, it was "panic stations" at times in the Hibs defence.

Club legend David Gray should not be playing if he is not 100% fit. Marciano looked very uncertain in goal. Age is creeping up on other club legends Daz and Lewis. I think we're in for a very difficult night at Greyskull. I wonder if Kamberi will play?
Kamberi like Docherty won’t be able to play in the game . It’s a bigger blow to us than them fwiw .
St Mirren played some nice one touch football early doors but credit to our players for getting a draw after being 2-0 down .
Second half ,we looked the more likely to score . Horgan is a much better sub than starter and we need to stop giving teams a goal or 2 of a start .

greenlex
02-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Am I wrong in being critical of him regarding the first goal ? It was clearly highlighted on sportscene if you were able to watch it ..........

As for not having justification , that is complete nonsense.. Before making any comment on any player I always make sure I check footage from TV..

You are clearly one of these fans wh simply don't want to see how poor he actually is and has been for a considerable period of time now....
He was blocked. His man ran to the front post where Mcgregor caught flat footed. He was spare and the cross came into his space. Should have done better. Not much Hanlon could do about it. Well worked corner. Should still defend it better but not Hanlon to blame for me.

greenlex
02-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Kamberi like Docherty won’t be able to play in the game . It’s a bigger blow to us than them fwiw .
St Mirren played some nice one touch football early doors but credit to our players for getting a draw after being 2-0 down .
Second half ,we looked the more likely to score . Horgan is a much better sub than starter and we need to stop giving teams a goal or 2 of a start .
Part of the loan deal should have been Kamberi must play against us.

B.H.F.C
02-02-2020, 08:16 PM
He was blocked. His man ran to the front post where Mcgregor caught flat footed. He was spare and the cross came into his space. Should have done better. Not much Hanlon could do about it. Well worked corner. Should still defend it better but not Hanlon to blame for me.

It was his man that scored so he’s not blameless. The block was clever but the man was already in front of him at the point he was blocked.

greenlex
02-02-2020, 08:18 PM
It was his man that scored so he’s not blameless. The block was clever but the man was already in front of him at the point he was blocked.

Opinions eh? I’m not sure what Hanlon could have done .

Radium
02-02-2020, 08:25 PM
Vlog from yesterday that has a good view of the block by St Mirren for the goal. Nothing wrong with it and worked well for SM

https://youtu.be/BZxf1126ZEI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brog
02-02-2020, 08:25 PM

You are clearly one of these fans wh simply doesn't want to see how poor he actually is and has been for a considerable period of time now....

Paul Hanlon has IMO, been by far, the best member of our defence this season. Porteous has more potential but has been off his game since returning from injury.
Thats not my point though. Its as if you wait to find any possible opportunity to criticise PH & jump all over him. As for their 1st goal, i've watched it several times on Hibs TV & TBH Im not sure who, if anyone should be blamed. Perhaps our Mgt team who decide not to have anyone on, at least the front post & who seem to employ a strange & ineffective mixture of zonal & man to man marking.

B.H.F.C
02-02-2020, 08:27 PM

I actually thought Hanlon was the only defender with pass marks in the first half, I thought he about defended on his own at points.

But as I say, if you see it back, the guy already has a run on him. They were clever enough to work it but I think he’d already got caught wrong side which made it possible.

CMurdoch
02-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Paul Hanlon has IMO, been by far, the best member of our defence this season. Porteous has more potential but has been off his game since returning from injury.
Thats not my point though. Its as if you wait to find any possible opportunity to criticise PH & jump all over him. As for their 1st goal, i've watched it several times on Hibs TV & TBH Im not sure who, if anyone should be blamed. Perhaps our Mgt team who decide not to have anyone on, at least the front post & who seem to employ a strange & ineffective mixture of zonal & man to man marking.

I did a critique of the 1st St Mirren goal earlier in this thread and concluded that our guys weren't to blame.

It was a move from the training ground that was executed to perfection by the St Mirren players.
Yet there are still folk on here saying the Hibs players should have stopped it.

I ask you guys.
How could it have been stopped without the Hibs players being being party to what was going to happen?
Did you know what was going to happen or like me did you only see the clever **** when you watched it back?
Hindsight is 20/20.

Hats off to the St Mirren players. Top class corner routine perfectly executed.

LaMotta
02-02-2020, 09:55 PM

Michael Stewart points the finger squarely at Hanlon on Sportscene for the first goal and I'm puzzled how anyone could disagree with that view tbh.

Thought Hanlon was good apart from that though.

Hedlund12
02-02-2020, 10:06 PM
Looked to me like he was surprised to be taken off rather than injury but completely guessing on injury.

I think Newell might have picked up a knock. I said as much to the guy who sits beside me. He was struggling after going for a ball near the touchline close to the home dugout. Within 10 minutes he was subbed. Hope it's nothing too bad.

dchibs
02-02-2020, 10:45 PM

Agree with Horgan he plays better comming on when opposing players tire, he changed the game against Hamilton.

JimBHibees
03-02-2020, 06:13 AM
I did a critique of the 1st St Mirren goal earlier in this thread and concluded that our guys weren't to blame.

It was a move from the training ground that was executed to perfection by the St Mirren players.
Yet there are still folk on here saying the Hibs players should have stopped it.

I ask you guys.
How could it have been stopped without the Hibs players being being party to what was going to happen?
Did you know what was going to happen or like me did you only see the clever **** when you watched it back?
Hindsight is 20/20.

Don't let the goal scorer get in front of him therefore causing the block. Daz probably could have reacted sooner to flight of the ball and attacked the space in front of him. Think Dundee United did similar move during the week when Shankland should have scored. Too easy on both occasions.

brog
03-02-2020, 07:32 AM
Michael Stewart points the finger squarely at Hanlon on Sportscene for the first goal and I'm puzzled how anyone could disagree with that view tbh.

Michael Stewart's a good pundit but he's not infallible. I'm a great believer in body language & PH's reaction was IMO, telling. He immediately berated Doidge, most unusual for PH, & CD looked embarrassed. It was Doidge's man who blocked PH & the reaction made me suspect CD was perhaps charged with marking the front post area. Anyway, i didnt mean to analyse it to death, it was as others have said a well worked goal.

LaMotta
03-02-2020, 07:48 AM
Michael Stewart's a good pundit but he's not infallible. I'm a great believer in body language & PH's reaction was IMO, telling. He immediately berated Doidge, most unusual for PH, & CD looked embarrassed. It was Doidge's man who blocked PH & the reaction made me suspect CD was perhaps charged with marking the front post area. Anyway, i didnt mean to analyse it to death, it was as others have said a well worked goal. G

Hes not infallible but I think hes right here. It is well worked but that doesnt mean Hanlon shouldn't have done better, he loses his man for a split second which is enough to allow the St Mirren plan to unfold.

I also have seen a few people say that Hanlon has a go at Doidge, but I think hes more likely to be having a go at McGregor for not attacking the ball well enough in that front post area.

LaMotta
03-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Don't let the goal scorer get in front of him therefore causing the block. Daz probably could have reacted sooner to flight of the ball and attacked the space in front of him. Think Dundee United did similar move during the week when Shankland should have scored. Too easy on both occasions.

:agree:

brog
03-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Hes not infallible but I think hes right here. It is well worked but that doesnt mean Hanlon shouldn't have done better, he loses his man for a split second which is enough to allow the St Mirren plan to unfold.

I also have seen a few people say that Hanlon has a go at Doidge, but I think hes more likely to be having a go at McGregor for not attacking the ball well enough in that front post area.

It's definitely Doidge. He completely loses his man who then blocks PH. Michael Stewart actually mentioned PH having a go at Doidge. I'm maybe out of order here but I don't think Rocky covered himself in glory either. When the ball was in the air heading for front post he didn't move his feet at all towards that post. His 1st reaction was the futile dive as the ball flew past him. I should say, after watching the goal many times I'm not exonerating PH in any way but there was a collective defensive failing to deal with a well worked set piece.

greenlex
03-02-2020, 02:11 PM

I ask you guys.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Ok Doidge lost his man that blocked Hanlon. It happens. McGregor is the spare man in the area the ball is delivered. He should have reacted better IMO.

Greenbeard
03-02-2020, 02:18 PM
]Michael Stewart's a good pundit but he's not infallible. I'm a great believer in body language & PH's reaction was IMO, telling. He immediately berated Doidge, most unusual for PH, & CD looked embarrassed. It was Doidge's man who blocked PH & the reaction made me suspect CD was perhaps charged with marking the front post area. Anyway, i didnt mean to analyse it to death, it was as others have said a well worked goal.
And thinks a yellow for Griffiths was the correct call, not red, because his "foot plant" onto the prone Accies player wasn't overly aggressive even though he knew what he was doing and could have avoided the contact.
Yet players who go nose-to-nose and make contact with the very slightest of head movements get an automatic red with no account of the aggression level.
Sorry to all the old Sparky fans on here but that was a straight red all day long.
Sorry that is so far off topic it's a Bounty.

CMurdoch
03-02-2020, 04:21 PM

The Sportscene coverage of the 1st St Mirren goal is poor and clearly makes the goal look like Hanlon's fault. Stewart is commenting on this coverage. However there is no continuity of evidence in this footage. You see the corner taker take the corner in isolation then the next shot you see shows the activity in the box as the ball is arriving.

In comparison the twitter and vlog coverage (see above) of the goal taken from the west stand is continuous and shows all the players including the corner taker as well as the timing of all the relevant runs and the block. It's the timings and runs that are important in the goal.

Hanlon is goalside of the goalscorer as he should be but can't match the 45 degree run because of the block and Doidge is wrong footed by the blockers dummy run and then his change of direction to make the block.

Wonderfully executed corner routine from all 3 St Mirren players involved.

Shoddy work Michael Stewart, look at all the evidence before making your mind up. Amateur :wink:.

LaMotta
03-02-2020, 04:49 PM
The Sportscene coverage of the 1st St Mirren goal is poor and clearly makes the goal look like Hanlon's fault. Stewart is commenting on this coverage. However there is no continuity of evidence in this footage. You see the corner taker take the corner in isolation then the next shot you see shows the activity in the box as the ball is arriving.

In comparison the twitter and vlog coverage (see above) of the goal taken from the west stand is continuous and shows all the players including the corner taker as well as the timing of all the relevant runs and the block. It's the timings and runs that are important in the goal.

Hanlon is goalside of the goalscorer as he should be but can't match the 45 degree run because of the block and Doidge is wrong footed by the blockers dummy run and then his change of direction to make the block.

Wonderfully executed corner routine from all 3 St Mirren players involved.

Shoddy work Michael Stewart, look at all the evidence before making your mind up. Amateur :wink:.

I agree with you in the main that it is very well executed by St Mirren but that doesn't mean the defence should get completely let off the hook.

Hanlon gets himself in a position that allows the guy to steal a yard on him and the block seals his fate.

As others have said McGregor might have attacked the ball better.

I've no doubt when the Hibs management team review the goal they will point to some ( albeit slightly) shoddy defensive work.:wink:

CMurdoch
03-02-2020, 05:07 PM
I agree with you in the main that it is very well executed by St Mirren but that doesn't mean the defence should get completely let off the hook.

Hanlon gets himself in a position that allows the guy to steal a yard on him and the block seals his fate.

As others have said McGregor might have attacked the ball better.

I've no doubt when the Hibs management team review the goal they will point to some ( albeit slightly) shoddy defensive work.:wink:

Afraid I can't stick up for Grey for the 2nd goal. Horrendous decision making from SDG.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2020, 05:31 PM
Afraid I can't stick up for Grey for the 2nd goal. Horrendous decision making from SDG.

GRAY:wink:

Yep, SDG was completely wrong footed by the guy. Pretty shoddy defending.

W

ancient hibee
03-02-2020, 05:45 PM
I know it's a different era but nobody would have dared stand to block John McNamee or George Stewart.

BILLYHIBS
03-02-2020, 06:11 PM
I know it's a different era but nobody would have dared stand to block John McNamee or George Stewart.

Ah Big Dode !

Shudda been a Hibby long before he wis

Speaking to him he told me he wis from birth 😁

Kojock
03-02-2020, 06:16 PM

I ask you guys.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Off on a slight tangent, “it was a move from the training ground”. We had 11 corners and everyone (apart from the one that hit the bar) was pathetic and never caused them any problems. Maybe we could practice corners at East Mains.

KingPat4
03-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Off on a slight tangent, “it was a move from the training ground”. We had 11 corners and everyone (apart from the one that hit the bar) was pathetic and never caused them any problems. Maybe we could practice corners at East Mains.

Closest we came to scoring in the second half was from a corner......,

But I agree, there seems too little variation.

JR needs to watch a video of Sauzee volleying in a Latapy corner from 25 yards. V Morton, I think.

Lago
03-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Well you do come out with some silly stuff at times.

BILLYHIBS
03-02-2020, 06:39 PM

We scored from a corner versus Dundee United last week a beautiful corner from Newall right on Doidges napper

The fourth goal might arguably be said as coming from a corner Doidge again!

When was the last time we scored from a corner before that?

Probably Carlisle away Big Doidge again

Lago
03-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Oh how true😊

PISTOL1875
03-02-2020, 06:43 PM

I know football is all about opinions but you have got to be kidding me on ??

Brightside
03-02-2020, 07:13 PM
I know football is all about opinions but you have got to be kidding me on ??

It’s a clear fact. Not opinion. Fact.

Eyrie
03-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Closest we came to scoring in the second half was from a corner......,

But I agree, there seems too little variation.

JR needs to watch a video of Sauzee volleying in a Latapy corner from 25 yards. V Morton, I think.

Allan came close to doing that at the Tiny PBS.

From the way he floated two corners earlier in the second half to the back post it looked like he was trying it again on Saturday and it was the third attempt that hit the bar.

BILLYHIBS
03-02-2020, 07:48 PM
Hmmm!

SDG and Dazza have both played slightly more than a handful of games each this season through injury or one reason or another

Porteous has been rash and eratic this season and is still looking rough around the edges though still has youth on his side and has bags of potential and room for improvement

It is a worry that he seems to be out with the same injury that he had versus Livvy almost two years ago?

Lewis has not been at his best this season especially going forwards or is that backwards but still gives nothing less than 100%

This leaves Paul Hanlon who not always brilliant has been the best and most consistent performer and at times is the only one holding the whole defence together often single handedly

I also like the look of Jackson and McGinn

All of the above is of course imho

Allant1981
03-02-2020, 07:54 PM

It's not exactly something to brag about this season though, all of them have been below par

PISTOL1875
03-02-2020, 08:01 PM

If you are saying he has been the best performer out of all our defender's then we are in bigger trouble than even I think we are in and I think we are horrific at the back..........

Brightside
03-02-2020, 08:02 PM
If you are saying he has been the best performer out of all our defender's then we are in bigger trouble than even I think we are in and I think we are horrific at the back..........

So that is your opinion. But it is clearly a fact he’s been our best defender this season.

Eyrie
03-02-2020, 08:05 PM
So that is your opinion. But it is clearly a fact he’s been our best defender this season.

You're damning your own performances with faint praise there :na na:

None of our defenders can consider themselves to have had a good season so far.

PISTOL1875
03-02-2020, 08:10 PM

A better performer than Jason Naismith ?? You simply have to be at the wind up if you can't see that .......

Brightside
03-02-2020, 08:12 PM
A better performer than Jason Naismith ?? You simply have to be at the wind up if you can't see that .......

100%

brog
03-02-2020, 09:41 PM

PH has played in nearly every game this season, more than twice as many as JN. He's had 3 different CB partners & has been captain for most of these games, selected by 3 different managers. I think it's pretty easy to make a case for PH being our best defensive performer this season.

Since452
04-02-2020, 05:38 AM
Sorry if already mentioned but I noticed Jack said that Gray's substitution at HT was tactical and not an injury. I'm glad the manager realised he was toiling

Smartie
04-02-2020, 07:24 AM
You're damning your own performances with faint praise there :na na:

None of our defenders can consider themselves to have had a good season so far.

Naismith had a good season by anyone’s standards, surely?