PDA

View Full Version : Get that defence tae...

Pages : [1] 2

Keith_M
01-02-2020, 02:21 PM

Fill in the blanks

Beefster
01-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Learn how to defend.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 02:23 PM
We all knew the defence was a shambles we all knew that we lost our two best defenders during the window. I’m not sure why people are surprised?

Diclonius
01-02-2020, 02:38 PM
We've got a bit of money lying around. Efe Ambrose.

Jakhog1
01-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Still can't believe Efe is without a club, surely worth a punt in bringing him back, I know his fitness may be questionable having not played in a while but the guy is undoubtedly a great player when up to speed, bring him back

Joe6-2
01-02-2020, 02:42 PM
This! This! This!

w pilton hibby
01-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Still can't believe Efe is without a club, surely worth a punt in bringing him back, I know his fitness may be questionable having not played in a while but the guy is undoubtedly a great player when up to speed, bring him back

Maybe Efe was approached to come back and he said no.

sean04
01-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Mcgregor sleeping At the 1st goal and gray was just pathetic how easy he was beat on the 2nd. Got a serious inability to stop crosses

Heisenberg
01-02-2020, 02:52 PM
The old guard are finished. Hanlon maybe the only one to keep his place next season.

supermcginn
01-02-2020, 02:54 PM
The old guard are finished. Hanlon maybe the only one to keep his place next season.

He's no better than the rest. Time for change

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2020, 02:57 PM
It's not the defence. Hanlon and Lewis have been fine. It's Gray. Gray has been hopeless today, offensively and defensively. And Martin Boyle hasn't offered any defensive support at all. Our right side has been an absolute disaster.

Jakhog1
01-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Maybe Efe was approached to come back and he said no.

Possibly, just seems such a waste for a guy who probably played his best football whilst at Hibs and who was appreciated by the fans to turn us down, haven't seen much in news or any rumours linking him anywhere else, all I know is that I would love him back at Hibs and whilst were at it give Mulumbu a wee look as well, still it comes down to these guys fitness having not played in a while but don't think our new boys have had much game time too

Speedway
01-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Too hasty in losing Jonathan Spector.

Keith_M
01-02-2020, 03:03 PM
It's not the defence. Hanlon and Lewis have been fine. It's Gray. Gray has been hopeless today, offensively and defensively. And Martin Boyle hasn't offered any defensive support at all. Our right side has been an absolute disaster.

It was pathetic defending for the corner ss well.

supermcginn
01-02-2020, 03:03 PM
It's never their fault 😂

HendoDelivered
01-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Needs stripped and replaced. The legends of 21.5.16 are not the players they were then, anymore.

neil7908
01-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Same defence we had what 4 years ago? What was the average age of the 4 defenders today?

McGinn and Porteous will help but there is a serious job to do in the summer.

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 03:56 PM
It's never their fault 😂

Stevenson and Hanlon were fine today.

Gray was awful, McGregor started badly but came good.

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2020, 03:57 PM
It's never their fault 😂

That's not the case. Hanlon had another very good game. Lewis fine defensively. McGregor rash at times and poor for first goal. Gray subbed before he cost us another.

NC1875
01-02-2020, 03:59 PM

I hope not

Ozyhibby
01-02-2020, 04:01 PM
Needs stripped and replaced. The legends of 21.5.16 are not the players they were then, anymore.

Hibs are determined to keep them until we hate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bawheid
01-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Hate? What?

Ozyhibby
01-02-2020, 04:02 PM
That's not the case. Hanlon had another very good game. Lewis fine defensively. McGregor rash at times and poor for first goal. Gray subbed before he cost us another.

This week it’s gray, next week another of them. We are shipping a massive amount of goals.

McKenzie
01-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Can’t be Ambrose. Boy behind me last week saying he was past it, while watching Hanlon and Stevenson play. He was serious

Heisenberg
01-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Gray, McGregor and Stevenson well short today. Need much better next season.

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 04:11 PM
Gray, McGregor and Stevenson well short today. Need much better next season.

Stevenson was absolutely fine today

Hibeesmad
01-02-2020, 04:11 PM
McGinn looks like a solid addition. I'm sad to say it but I think Gray hasn't got long left. McGregor not far behind Gray. And in terms of long term success we need to start looking at alternatives to Hanlon and Stevenson, great servants of the club and Scottish club legends but we can't live in the past.

HoboHarry
01-02-2020, 04:12 PM

What an absurd statement.

danhibees1875
01-02-2020, 04:14 PM

:agree:

McGinn looked good too.

California-Hibs
01-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Said it before yesterday's deadline, that defense is a shambles. Its horrible to say but David Gray is done. I'd also put McGregor into that category. Hanlon? Who knows what's happened to that guy and Stevenson is just poor let's be honest.
It needs major work because going forward we are excellent and that brutal backline is undoing all our great attacking play week after week.

Unbelievable we didn't sign a centre half this window. 2nd worse defense in the league!

dmc1875
01-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Said it before yesterday's deadline, that defense is a shambles. Its horrible to say but David Gray is done. I'd also put McGregor into that category. Hanlon? Who knows what's happened to that guy and Stevenson is just poor let's be honest.
It needs major work because going forward we are excellent and that brutal backline is undoing all our great attacking play week after week.

Unbelievable we didn't sign a centre half this window. 2nd worse defense in the league!

Efe just sat at home as well...

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2020, 04:16 PM
This week it’s gray, next week another of them. We are shipping a massive amount of goals.

Well no because Hanlon has been good for weeks, far from a problem.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 04:16 PM
It's never their fault 😂

He's right.

Keyser Sauzee
01-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Gray and Mcgregor were really poor as was Stevenson. Hanlon and McGinn has good games. The defence on a whole are not good enough for European aspirations.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 04:18 PM

That's exactly right.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Surf safe mate. Artillery incoming. :duck:

Springbank
01-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Lewis is off the boil at the moment judging by Hamilton & St Mirren.
Lucky to get away with a yellow today.

Speedy
01-02-2020, 04:24 PM
I thought McGregor was good today. Gray was a man down though.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 04:27 PM

Eventually, McGregor was good. He was awful for both their goals.

Heisenberg
01-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Stevenson was absolutely fine today

Far from it for me. Slow every time and gave nothing going forward. Needs replaced for next season.

Forza Fred
01-02-2020, 04:28 PM

I thought it was a quite funny tongue in cheek quip to be fair.

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Far from it for me. Slow every time and gave nothing going forward. Needs replaced for next season.

That’s nonsense, he’s a lot of things but he’s not slow.

If you watch him closely he’s not only thinking about where he needs to be he’s also constantly having to tell Horgan where to go, who to mark etc. He’s getting next to no support.

Again, he was fine today.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 04:33 PM

If you watch him closely he’s not only thinking about where he needs to be he’s also constantly having to tell Horgan where to go, who to mark etc. He’s getting next to no support.

He’s slow on the ball. Dithers and takes far too many touches.

truehibernian
Please Jack, Graeme, Leeann................bring Efe home :boo hoo::aok:

supermcginn

Yip, one of the main reasons we are mid table. Far too many average Joe's.

Hibby Kay-Yay
01-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Please Jack, Graeme, Leeann................bring Efe home :boo hoo::aok:

Wonder why Efe is not playing anywhere else?

Hi Heid Yin
01-02-2020, 04:37 PM
The aged back line is becoming our Achilles heal.
It is slow and about as tight as a burst balloon.
I feel that we are witnessing the last days of this legendary backline.
The signs have been there for a good while and this just has to be the final season for at least 3, if not all, of our stalwarts

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 04:38 PM
He’s slow on the ball. Dithers and takes far too many touches.

You could say that about all 11 of them

truehibernian
Wonder why Efe is not playing anywhere else?

He's a hard man to find at times and rarely wears a watch :greengrin but seriously, ridiculous if we have not attempted to bring him back - no brainer for me, versatile, athletic, good on the ground, and drives us forward when we need it.

Is It On....
So far this season in the league we have played 24 and conceded in 21. It's alot of pressure on the team knowing that to win you will probably need to score a minimum of 2 goals.

sorryfolks
01-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Thought Hanlon played really well today. Gray was woeful and rightfully hooked at half time. McGregor dealt with any long balls fine, but consistently gave the ball away trying to find Doidge with a long ball. Very rarely tries to play it into a midfielders feet. Thought Stevenson stuck at it but wasn’t great. McGinn looked good when he came on - sound defensively and got forward when he could.

biotech
01-02-2020, 04:40 PM
We have have options in defence; McGinn, Jackson, James. We also need more defensive support from midfield players.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 04:42 PM
So far this season in the league we have played 24 and conceded in 21. It's alot of pressure on the team knowing that to win you will probably need to score a minimum of 2 goals.

39 goals conceded in 24 games is a horrendous stat by the way. Our whole defence is ropey although McGinn may make a difference. Hanlon, McGregor, Gray and Stevenson all need replaced. Dress it up how you like they are just not good enough anymore.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 04:46 PM
You could say that about all 11 of them

No you couldn’t and he’s particularly bad for it.

He wasn’t too bad defensively but he hinders us in possession.

hibbydad
01-02-2020, 04:49 PM
39 goals conceded in 24 games is a horrendous stat by the way. Our whole defence is ropey although McGinn may make a difference. Hanlon, McGregor, Gray and Stevenson all need replaced. Dress it up how you like they are just not good enough anymore.
You are totally right Hermit

Hibeesmad
01-02-2020, 04:51 PM

Totally agree. You just need to check the weekly score prediction thread to see that the majority of us don't feel confident of keeping a clean sheet.

truehibernian
01-02-2020, 04:52 PM

The only one I wouldn't replace is Paul Hanlon (and I am a self-confessed Lewy fan). Paul is playing okay, often well, however we lose goals from our wide areas because of a number of factors - mostly our full backs not closing down or jockeying rather than limiting space to get a cross in. You could also argue the full backs are not getting the protection they need due to the formation and midfield lacking energy and balance of course.

We are often set up to counter quickly when we win back possession - but it's the winning back possession we are poor at. You simply can't rely on the opposition misplacing a pass, you often have to chase, harry, and commit to the tackle.

We give up far too much space on the wider areas of the pitch and that's what teams are seeing and exploiting.

Captain Trips
01-02-2020, 04:52 PM

The lack of a DM has been also blamed and to an extent I agree however a lot of the goals conceeded are just duff defending irrespective of a DM.

I would not lose any sleep seeing 4 different defenders in there next season.

Captain Trips
01-02-2020, 04:54 PM
The only good thing is and ffs please Jack Ross sort it out for playing Sevco. You get that defence sorted and we are in business.

I would love to end them on their own patch next week. Set up correctly it can be done.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 04:58 PM
The only one I wouldn't replace is Paul Hanlon (and I am a self-confessed Lewy fan). Paul is playing okay, often well, however we lose goals from our wide areas because of a number of factors - mostly our full backs not closing down or jockeying rather than limiting space to get a cross in. You could also argue the full backs are not getting the protection they need due to the formation and midfield lacking energy and balance of course.

We are often set up to counter quickly when we win back possession - but it's the winning back possession we are poor at. You simply can't rely on the opposition misplacing a pass, you often have to chase, harry, and commit to the tackle.

We give up far too much space on the wider areas of the pitch and that's what teams are seeing and exploiting.

I’m not a big fan of Hanlon but I thought he was trying to defend single handedly in the first half. And I thought he dug in well. There is probably a place for him but he needs some proper competition. The other three simply need replaced IMO. Today could be the end for Gray.

Gloucester Hibs
01-02-2020, 04:58 PM

Do you believe he offers us anything in an attacking sense? FWIW I’d keep Hanlon and Stevenson as squad players but if we’re genuinely targeting top 3/4 neither should be first picks. As evidenced by: them not having achieved top 3 during their entire time at Hibs.

gazzag70
01-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Major surgery in the defence is needed for next season. I am sure Jack Ross knows this and will deal with it accordingly.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Do you believe he offers us anything in an attacking sense? FWIW I’d keep Hanlon and Stevenson as squad players but if we’re genuinely targeting top 3/4 neither should be first picks. As evidenced by: them not having achieved top 3 during their entire time at Hibs.

Nope.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 05:03 PM
Major surgery in the defence is needed for next season. I am sure Jack Ross knows this and will deal with it accordingly.

It might be too late by then though. This needed dealt with now.

stowhibby
01-02-2020, 05:03 PM
People complaining about an ageing back line and the solution being proposed is signing efe who will be 32 this year!

seanoheimhin
01-02-2020, 05:04 PM
No room for sentiment. Love the guys, but IMO that back four should never play together for us again.

Apart from an in-form Hanlon, none of the other three should be regular starters for us if we want to be top 4 next season.

Building a solid defence is never a glamorous or exciting thing to do with your transfer budget, but we desperately need to bring in a centre half to compete with Jackson/Porteous to start and a left back to take over from Lewis in the starting 11.

hibbydad
01-02-2020, 05:04 PM
People complaining about an ageing back line and the solution being proposed is signing efe who will be 32 this year!
Efe is miles ahead of what we have at the moment

truehibernian
01-02-2020, 05:06 PM

Hasn't had the serious injuries Daz and SDG have had (who break down every season guaranteed). Timekeeping might be array but he trains :greengrin and doesn't have to sit out sessions. If you don't feel Efe would be a good addition I'm baffled. The boy is an athlete.

wookie70
01-02-2020, 05:07 PM
It's not the defence. Hanlon and Lewis have been fine. It's Gray. Gray has been hopeless today, offensively and defensively. And Martin Boyle hasn't offered any defensive support at all. Our right side has been an absolute disaster. Boyle's defensive efforts have been terrible this year. He has made up for it at the other end. One of the biggest problems in our defense is our midfield and strikers. Good teams defend from the front we don't seem to bother until it gets near our box

Is It On....
01-02-2020, 05:10 PM

Totally agree that it's a horrendous stat. If it hadn't been for the fact we have scored in 18 out of 24 games we would probably be with our neighbours in the relegation dog fight.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-02-2020, 05:11 PM
Lewis is off the boil at the moment judging by Hamilton & St Mirren.
Lucky to get away with a yellow today.

Doesn't help when we don't have any cover for Lewy. Everyone goes through periods of loss of form but the wee felly just has to play through it, and can take the criticism to heart at times.

truehibernian
01-02-2020, 05:11 PM
Boyle's defensive efforts have been terrible this year. He has made up for it at the other end. One of the biggest problems in our defense is our midfield and strikers. Good teams defend from the front we don't seem to bother until it gets near our box

I'm a great believer that midfield is the most important area of the pitch to get right - and we lack balance there. It's where most of the play is concentrated and you need energy and players in there to support the back and front line.

That said, our full backs are poor (for a side wanting top 4), and we need to address that area in summer, as well as get good defensive midfielders who have energy to drive forward when required.

RIP Bestie
01-02-2020, 05:12 PM

I beg to differ. Hanlon and Stevenson have not been fine and it is not only the right side that we have been conceding all season. Those two have been mainstays of a defense that has leaked goals consistantly all season regardless of the formation they play or the personell that they play alomgside. So in response to your statement that "its not the defense" i would counter that it most certainly is.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 05:14 PM

Thats **** all mate, some were wanting Bamba back yesterday! :brickwall

seanoheimhin
01-02-2020, 05:16 PM
in response to your statement that "its not the defense" i would counter that it most certainly is.

Agree - I think it’s as plain as the way you put it, and a lot of us are letting our emotional connection and closeness to the situation cloud our judgement. We’ve been reluctant to acknowledge the elephant in the room - that elephant being these guys are past it now and are the source of the one constant in our woes over the last 12 months - a super shaker defence.

I really hope to **** that JR is fresh and removed enough from the emotional side of the club to come in and spot the elephant in the room and deal with it clinically

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2020, 05:17 PM

Hanlon had certainly been good enough recently. Getting back to very good form.

we are hibs
01-02-2020, 05:21 PM
Mcgregor and hanlon were okay.
Gray and stevenson poor.
Mcginn good.

Smartie
01-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Gray and stevenson poor.
Mcginn good.

Stevenson started very badly but come onto a game and did nothing wrong defensively.

Hanlon was excellent.

McGregor was very poor for the goals but otherwise ok.

Gray was very poor.

McGinn was impressive.

This defence will never get us top 4 but should give us a year or 2 before being relegation standard.

Since452
01-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Sadly Gray is done. For me anyway. Looked so slow and lost his man far too easily for their 2nd. Legend but he's done as a starter

Ozyhibby
01-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Gray and stevenson poor.
Mcginn good.

McGregor gave away far too many fouls today, was at fault for St. Mirren goal and his distribution was poor.

Hibeesmad
01-02-2020, 05:27 PM
With Gray and McGregor still having 3 and a half years on their contracts what is the script with their involvement once they stop becoming starters? Will it be a youth coach position or first team coaching?

makaveli1875
01-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Sadly Gray is done. For me anyway. Looked so slow and lost his man far too easily for their 2nd. Legend but he's done as a starter

Unfortunately his best days are behind him. He should have a job for life at hibs. Just not in the match squad.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Gray and stevenson poor.
Mcginn good.

Did you see McGregor for both goals?

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 05:31 PM
Stevenson started very badly but come onto a game and did nothing wrong defensively.

Hanlon was excellent.

Gray was very poor.

McGinn was impressive.

This defence will never get us top 4 but should give us a year or 2 before being relegation standard.

That's what I saw except I didn't notice a poor start from Lewis.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2020, 05:33 PM
We are so poor defensively as a team and need it sorted. Unfortunately that should have been done last month but wasn't.

It's blatantly obvious where our failings are as a team, we barely keep clean sheets and I we've conceded almost 40 goals and it's only early February.

Not good enough.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Marciano was poor today.

Robbo6-2
01-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Hanlon was our best defender today.

McGregor, Gray and Stevenson are done.

BlackSheep
01-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Stevenson has a poor game today... he’s very one dimensional and not hard to find out.

Gray needs match fitness then I think he will slotback in it right back and we can perhaps put Paul McGinn on the left for a few games and see how that works out.

Smartie
01-02-2020, 05:40 PM
That's what I saw except I didn't notice a poor start from Lewis.

He failed to link up with Horgan 2 or 3 times and gave the ball away pretty badly when he really shouldn't have. It was a sloppy start in possession.

After that he was really pretty good.

Bishop Hibee
01-02-2020, 05:44 PM
I thought Hanlon played fine. McGregor is a season too far though and Stevenson isn’t far behind sadly. McGinn looked solid.

JimBHibees
01-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Ridiculous comment

BlackSheep
01-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Marciano was poor today.

Yup. Agreed... twice in 24 hours lol

The Modfather
01-02-2020, 05:48 PM
Stevenson, Hanlon, McGregor & Gray, as a unit, are now probably closer to a bottom 6 defence than one that can challenge, and challenge consistently, for the top 4 IMO.

Individually:

Stevenson - still very fit, but looks to me to be slowing down and starting to look his age. The attacking side of the game has never been his strong point, but he appears to be badly regressing in that aspect IMO. I think we need a new LB, with Stevenson still having his worth and moving into becoming a very able deputy

Hanlon - was very poor for a long time, but appears to have been playing quite well for a few months now. I still have question marks about him being a common factor as part of a collective unit that hasn’t been good enough for 2 or 3 seasons now, but not a priority to replace IMO.

McGregor - like Stevenson, just not good enough at the attacking side of the game and starting attacks. Tailor made for Tynecastle, but not many other games IMO.

Gray - sadly, looks finished and always a bit of a surprise when he lasts the 90. Expect him to be phased out and possibly retire or move in at the end of the season.

WhileTheChief..
01-02-2020, 05:50 PM
Isn’t the defence today the same defence that won us the cup?

If so, I’d have thought the thread title could have shown a bit more respect to them.

supermcginn
01-02-2020, 05:51 PM

If so, I’d have thought the thread title could have shown a bit more respect to them.

That was 4 years ago. It's Hibernian football club not Paul Hanlon or Stevenson FC.

mcfly
01-02-2020, 05:52 PM
All been great servants but we are conceding far too many goals.

Big clear out needed in the summer if we want to improve

Benny Brazil
01-02-2020, 05:54 PM

Hate to say it but Gray looks done at this level - wouldn't be surprised if he retired at the end of the season

CMurdoch
01-02-2020, 05:55 PM
We need more ability on the ball at the back.

Of today's defenders only Hanlon is up to scratch on the ball. He is a very good player and must miss Efe as a worthwhile out ball when in possession at the back. Important player for Hibs for another few season.

Stevenson is no different than he has ever been i.e. a good defender but nothing special on the ball going forward or crossing. A shame because he always get's himself on the ball up the field. 32, fit as a fiddle and still likely to see off anyone looking to take over his position for another 18 months despite his shortcomings.

McGregor, good defender but poor on the ball, 35 before next season starts and unable to train properly. Great player who has done well to keep going as long as he has but should probably retire as a player at the end of the season.

Gray, made of Weetabix, 32 before the end of the season which isn't old but it might be time up for the guy as a player due to injuries.

McGinn, very early days but looks limited as a defender and nothing great on the ball. Much preferred Naismith.

Would love to see Ambrose back on a 16 month contract. He is a special player. would take a while to get up to speed but he is a great athlete.

emerald green
01-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Every team that attacks Hibs look like they are likely to score. That's three games in a row, at home, where Hibs have conceded the important opening goal.

As a team, Hibs are extremely poor defensively. Due to lack of defensive cover in midfield, the ageing back four are now being regularly exposed. It's just as well Hibs are decent going forward or they would be in big trouble.

On a more positive note, I thought McGinn and Docherty looked good today, especially Docherty.

Keith_M
01-02-2020, 05:57 PM

He was decent from about the 30 minute mark. Sadly we'd conceded 2 goals by that point.

Another issue we have is playing really narrow at the back. Play wide and you'll get past us with relative ease.

I dread to think how we're going to get on at Ibrox, as they totally controlled the two previous games.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 06:03 PM

How long we going to hang on to that? 4 years ago. Done F all since then. Back to mediocrity.

Alfred E Newman
01-02-2020, 06:05 PM

Exactly. The four of them have been great servants to the club and should be respected. No need at all for abuse. Unfortunately today proved once again that they are now past it as a unit.
I don't think we will see much of Gray after today given McGinns performance and McGregor toiled as well. I thought Hanlon actually had a good game today and Stevenson gave his usual honest performance though his lack of pace is starting to tell.

hibeerealist
01-02-2020, 06:05 PM
He failed to link up with Horgan 2 or 3 times and gave the ball away pretty badly when he really shouldn't have. It was a sloppy start in possession.

After that he was really pretty good.

Don’t think Horgan helps Lewis he rarely finds space to accept a pass, I would say Horgan as much the problem as Lewis - certainly today!

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2020, 06:10 PM
That was 4 years ago. It's Hibernian football club not Paul Hanlon or Stevenson FC.

They're not the ones who cost us today. They're also not the ones given 4 years deals out of sentiment.

At worst Lewis is an excellent squad player and Paul has shown recently he is still our best central defender.

greenlex
01-02-2020, 06:11 PM
It might be too late by then though. This needed dealt with now.

January is not the window to be making long term changes. Things will be addressed in the Summer. Gray is the only one needing urgently removed and that’s been done.

Robbo6-2
01-02-2020, 06:11 PM
How many times today did McGregor pass the ball behind one of our players

Weegreenman
01-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Hanlon was my MOTM today.

Stevenson
Daz
SDG
bad day at the office.

hibbysam
Love how we concede goals, then just say all four aren’t good enough. I actually agree that Gray is probably done, he doesn’t play enough games and his body is breaking down. McGregor’s mobility and positioning is poor, which means he ends up having to do last ditch stuff, badly at fault today. Stevenson id like to see us get better in. We genuinely haven’t signed a decent left back in god knows how long. Twice on Tuesday night he just runs 10 yards deeper than our back line because a winger makes a run there. Hanlon has been fine for months though. His positioning has been very good and his distribution good also, rarely loses an aerial dual and has plenty time left in our defence. I’m hoping McGinn takes care of the right back slot, would like to see us get another quality centre back and a left back in the summer though. Porteous will hopefully mould into that top centre back, but he needs to cut out the mistakes ASAP..

hibee_girl
Don’t think Horgan helps Lewis he rarely finds space to accept a pass, I would say Horgan as much the problem as Lewis - certainly today!

:agree:

WhileTheChief..
01-02-2020, 06:13 PM
How long we going to hang on to that? 4 years ago. Done F all since then. Back to mediocrity.

Happy to discuss their shortcomings now or the need to replace them.

Don't think there is any need for the “get tae....” comment in the title, hence why I’m saying they deserve a bit more respect than that.

Now, if the thread had been about Heckingbottom or Vela when they were still here, I could understand it.

But these four guys are bona fide Hibs greats for what they achieved, so yeah, they deserve our respect for the next 4 decades and more.

01-02-2020, 06:14 PM
4 genuine legends in hanlon daz lewis and sdg but we need a strategy to replace them.

Hibees1973
01-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Hibs are well known as an attacking side......we cannot have it both ways if we want to continue playing this way. Even under Lennon we scored a lot but lost plenty as well. We normally get done on a break-away after losing possession or a set piece.

Looking at the goals today the first one, in particular, was a bad goal to lose. MacGregor lost his man. But you could say that Hanlon’s goal against Hamilton and Doidge’s from a corner against Dundee Utd were bad goals for the opposition to lose.

The truth is that all teams lose bad goals...it’s football.

Gray, Stevenson & MacGregor’s careers are declining. The will know this themselves. I feel it was a decision based on sentiment to give Gray & MacGregor 4 year deals recently. They are legends, but to give 4 year contracts makes no sense from a purely footballing sense.

They will be replaced soon enough, however I doubt if any of their immediate replacements will match any of them when they were in their pomp. That’s why they are legends.

I just hope none of them make a huge error in a high profile game which tarnishes their legendary status.

Billy Whizz
01-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Gray and McGregor looked rusty, Gray has played only 1 and a half games, and Daz probably around 30 mins or so before today so far this year. Remember they also had lengthy times out injured last year too
So both bound to be off the pace needed

Noticed Gray needed treatment after 30 mins or so, was he hooked or taken off injured

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Gray and McGregor looked rusty, Gray has played only 1 and a half games, and Daz probably around 30 mins or so before today so far this year. Remember they also had lengthy times out injured last year too

Noticed Gray needed treatment after 30 mins or so, was he hooked or taken off injured

I would agree with this. He looked fine after treatment tho, didn’t the ref order him to get off the pitch?

ancient hibee
01-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Fill in the blanks? The blanks are in front of them where the midfield provide as much support as a set of parking cones.It was like a practice game against dustbins for St.Mirren

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 06:23 PM

They’re always going to be rusty because they’re always going to pick up injuries. Gray, in particular, looks absolutely done.

Fergos
01-02-2020, 06:27 PM
They're not the ones who cost us today. They're also not the ones given 4 years deals out of sentiment.

At worst Lewis is an excellent squad player and Paul has shown recently he is still our best central defender.

I’m sure the 4 year deals were given with a view to them stepping into their coaching / backroom / ambassador roles during these contracts.

There will always be a place at ER for SDG and Daz.

Glory Glory

inglisavhibs
01-02-2020, 06:28 PM
We need more ability on the ball at the back.

Of today's defenders only Hanlon is up to scratch on the ball. He is a very good player and must miss Efe as a worthwhile out ball when in possession at the back. Important player for Hibs for another few season.

Stevenson is no different than he has ever been i.e. a good defender but nothing special on the ball going forward or crossing. A shame because he always get's himself on the ball up the field. 32, fit as a fiddle and still likely to see off anyone looking to take over his position for another 18 months despite his shortcomings.

McGregor, good defender but poor on the ball, 35 before next season starts and unable to train properly. Great player who has done well to keep going as long as he has but should probably retire as a player at the end of the season.

Gray, made of Weetabix, 32 before the end of the season which isn't old but it might be time up for the guy as a player due to injuries.

McGinn, very early days but looks limited as a defender and nothing great on the ball. Much preferred Naismith.

Would love to see Ambrose back on a 16 month contract. He is a special player. would take a while to get up to speed but he is a great athlete.

I think most on here make up their minds whose played badly or well before a ball is kicked. Today Gray struggled badly and made a horrendous decision at their second, McGregor has never been good on the ball but I thought did ok today defensively (need to see 1st goal again because I actually thought that it was Doidge that lost his man) Hanlon played really well and I'm not sure where we are supposed to get a better left sided centre half on our budget. Stevenson defended stoutly but is increasingly finding it difficult to have any impact going forward. Just as big a problem defensively is our midfield where Allan and Horgan are just not able to close opponents down nor match runs. If we want to become more solid defensively we may well have to sacrifice a bit of attacking flair in midfield. Would like us to go back to having players on the posts at corners, today's was another one that would have been headed of the line.

Allant1981
01-02-2020, 06:29 PM
As a unit they are just not playing well, probably down to lack of matches played together this season but it really needs sorted, mcginn wasnt bought to sit on the bench every week so will probably start and once jackson has got rid of his bug he will be back in again

Sir David Gray
01-02-2020, 06:30 PM
Hibs are well known as an attacking side......we cannot have it both ways if we want to continue playing this way. Even under Lennon we scored a lot but lost plenty as well. We normally get done on a break-away after losing possession or a set piece.

Looking at the goals today the first one, in particular, was a bad goal to lose. MacGregor lost his man. But you could say that Hanlon’s goal against Hamilton and Doidge’s from a corner against Dundee Utd were bad goals for the opposition to lose.

The truth is that all teams lose bad goals...it’s football.

Gray, Stevenson & MacGregor’s careers are declining. The will know this themselves. I feel it was a decision based on sentiment to give Gray & MacGregor 4 year deals recently. They are legends, but to give 4 year contracts makes no sense from a purely footballing sense.

They will be replaced soon enough, however I doubt if any of their immediate replacements will match any of them when they were in their pomp. That’s why they are legends.

I just hope none of them make a huge error in a high profile game which tarnishes their legendary status.

2 seasons ago, Lennon's only full season with us in the Premiership, we had conceded 28 goals at the same stage as we're at now, which is 11 fewer than this season.

We have scored one more than than we did that season though so that's something.

Defensively we are a shambles and I don't think that's just the four recognised defenders who are to blame for that. Collectively the team just isn't very good at defending.

we are hibs
01-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Did you see McGregor for both goals?

Hanlon lost his man for the first.

Billy Whizz
01-02-2020, 06:40 PM

Was it Paul, at the time I thought it was Daz

Brightside
01-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Eh? Go watch again. Daz lost his man. Hanlon was raging at him

BoomtownHibees
01-02-2020, 06:42 PM

Was Daz

we are hibs
01-02-2020, 06:42 PM

https://twitter.com/M5Buddie/status/1223690161503993862?s=19

Its clearly Hanlon picking him up and losing him. McGregor was at the front post.

Brightside
01-02-2020, 06:44 PM

Its clearly Hanlon picking him up and losing him. McGregor was at the front post.

Hanlon has the other guy 6 yards in front. Watch it slowly.

Allant1981
01-02-2020, 06:46 PM

Hanlon was marking him to start with and when the boy moved hanlon barged into the other player, was definitely hanlons man

01-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Thought Hanlon played really well today. Gray was woeful and rightfully hooked at half time. McGregor dealt with any long balls fine, but consistently gave the ball away trying to find Doidge with a long ball. Very rarely tries to play it into a midfielders feet. Thought Stevenson stuck at it but wasn’t great. McGinn looked good when he came on - sound defensively and got forward when he could.

Agree with that, found it a bit frustrating and was pleased when Docherty started going back to get it.

SquashedFrogg
01-02-2020, 06:47 PM

It really wasn't.

we are hibs

Hanlon is clearly picking up the boy who scored. He then ran into another player after losing him. McGregor sees the boy who scored running in late and tries to go to the front post to win it and is beaten. None of Doidge, Hanlon or McGregor cover themselves in glory but it was 100% Hanlon's man.

Allant1981
It really wasn't.

It really was

we are hibs
01-02-2020, 06:48 PM
It really wasn't.

I mean it clearly was. Arguing otherwise is nonsense. Its not a debatable point. Hanlon was on him and lost him.

Brightside
01-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Hanlon is clearly picking up the boy who scored. He then ran into another player after losing him. McGregor sees the boy who scored running in late and tries to go to the front post to win it and is beaten. None of Doidge, Hanlon or McGregor cover themselves in glory but it was 100% Hanlon's man.

He is picking him up before it’s taken. When it’s taken he’s moved on to the other guy. Daz picks up the first guy. It’s basic defending. Daz knew very well he’d messed up.

Allant1981
01-02-2020, 06:50 PM
He is picking him up before it’s taken. When it’s taken he’s moved on to the other guy. Daz picks up the first guy. It’s basic defending. Daz knew very well he’d messed up.

He ran into the other guy, that's the only reason he moved on to him22955

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 06:53 PM
I would agree with this. He looked fine after treatment tho, didn’t the ref order him to get off the pitch?

He was told to get off because his knee was bleeding. Nothing major

Pretty Boy
01-02-2020, 06:58 PM
Gray, Mcgregor, Hanlon and Stevenson will be a back line that is spoken about for years to come. They have all given Hibs seasons of good service, been good professionals and performed well as individuals and as a unit.

If I never saw them play together again then I probably wouldn't complain though. I've said it before but age waits for no one. Mcgregor and Gray need replaced imminently, indeed they probably have been with McGinn and Porteous, we should be looking at someone to compete with Stevenson next season and start succession planning for Hanlon. None of them are performing at the levels they have in the past.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 06:58 PM

Never noticed it at the game, but Hanlon does lose him. He tried to go with the guy and got blocked off. Then McGregor is flat footed at the front post.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 06:59 PM

Johnny Boy doesn't agree...

Your defence of Hanlon is staggering even when he makes a shop front of it.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 07:00 PM
As a unit they are just not playing well, probably down to lack of matches played together this season but it really needs sorted, mcginn wasnt bought to sit on the bench every week so will probably start and once jackson has got rid of his bug he will be back in again

It’s lack of quality. We are mid table for a reason.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 07:00 PM
He was told to get off because his knee was bleeding. Nothing major

Yeah I thought that was the case. 👍

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 07:01 PM
I mean it clearly was. Arguing otherwise is nonsense. Its not a debatable point. Hanlon was on him and lost him.

I agree but didn’t notice it at the game. It’s actually well worked from St Mirren, they knew what they were doing to block him off.

Hiber-nation
01-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Hanlon was pick of the back 4 by a mile today. The other 3 look done. But there was no protection in front of them, our midfield were like statues at time. Plus Horgan and Allan kept giving the ball away. We're so inconsistent it's unbelievable.

we are hibs
01-02-2020, 07:04 PM
I agree but didn’t notice it at the game. It’s actually well worked from St Mirren, they knew what they were doing to block him off.

I thought it was actually Doidge at the game. But seeing that its Hanlon. All 3 could have done more to prevent it.

goosefat
01-02-2020, 07:05 PM

That sense of humour bypass has worked sweet as mate

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 07:05 PM
Was it Paul, at the time I thought it was Daz

It was 100% McGregor. He didn’t lose his man though, he was covering someone else and nobody picked up the runner until it was too late.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Never noticed it at the game, but Hanlon does lose him. He tried to go with the guy and got blocked off. Then McGregor is flat footed at the front post.

In fact that would make sense.

Clarence
01-02-2020, 07:07 PM

But can still do back flips. Can you imagine gray or McGregor trying a backflip?

Crab apple
01-02-2020, 07:08 PM
It's never their fault 😂

He’s always had a thing about Gray even when he was playing regularly. His post today is spot on though.

marleyhib
01-02-2020, 07:08 PM
No place any more for Gray, Hanlon, McGregor or Stevenson. Not slagging them off but all past it. Positives from today is McGinn looks decent and we can score goals. Defence is single fish.

Crab apple
01-02-2020, 07:09 PM
Hanlon was pick of the back 4 by a mile today. The other 3 look done. But there was no protection in front of them, our midfield were like statues at time. Plus Horgan and Allan kept giving the ball away. We're so inconsistent it's unbelievable.

Not a Hanlon fan but you’re right he was the easily best of a bad bunch today.

Allant1981
01-02-2020, 07:10 PM
It’s lack of quality. We are mid table for a reason.

For once we agree!!

Diclonius
01-02-2020, 07:17 PM
I honestly wouldn't be bothered if we had an entirely new back four next season.

They're all legends but it's clear we need new blood in there now. Naismith and Porteous will be a start but we need another CB and left back.

CMurdoch
01-02-2020, 07:33 PM
1st St Mirren goal is well worked and from the training ground.
Hanlon is marking the eventual scorer who is in a line with another St Mirren player and the eventual point of contact where Daz is standing. The ball is played perfectly from the corner to the eventual point of contact. As it's taken the scorer makes the run past his colleague who blocks Hanlon. The scorer is running and by this method out jumps the standing McGregor.
The key is the quality of the ball from the corner which lands in exactly the right place.
In conclusion not the fault of Hanlon and McGregor just a very well worked set piece.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 07:35 PM
1st St Mirren goal is well worked and from the training ground.
Hanlon is marking the eventual scorer who is in a line with another St Mirren player and the eventual point of contact where Daz is standing. The ball is played perfectly from the corner to the eventual point of contact. As it's taken the scorer makes the run past his colleague who blocks Hanlon. The scorer is running and by this method out jumps the standing McGregor.
The key is the quality of the ball from the corner which lands in exactly the right place.
In conclusion not the fault of Hanlon and McGregor just a very well worked set piece.

There is definitely fault on our part. McGregor doesn’t see the boy coming and is flat footed.

PH91
01-02-2020, 07:38 PM
People are talking as if gray and daz are regulars and Hibs are refusing to replace them. They are squad players kept around for their great attitude and to eventually move into a non football role. Im sure they will tell you themselves they are not at their best anymore. They are third choice in their position but having to play due to injuries.

As for stevenson, he still has plenty to offer but the time has come for us to get a young full back in and start to bleed him into the team as his replacement. I imagine its on the radar of the recruitment team for the summer but certainly wasnt the priority this window.

Imo hanlon has seen an upturn in form recently and i expect him to be part of the team for a few years yet. If we happen to get in a better ball playing centre half then he will fall down the pecking order but players better than hanlon arent easy to come by for a club like us.

Lastly, a midfield which can defend would not suddenly make us stop losing goals but it would certainly help us lose less.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 07:47 PM
People are talking as if gray and daz are regulars and Hibs are refusing to replace them. They are squad players kept around for their great attitude and to eventually move into a non football role. Im sure they will tell you themselves they are not at their best anymore. They are third choice in their position but having to play due to injuries.

As for stevenson, he still has plenty to offer but the time has come for us to get a young full back in and start to bleed him into the team as his replacement. I imagine its on the radar of the recruitment team for the summer but certainly wasnt the priority this window.

Imo hanlon has seen an upturn in form recently and i expect him to be part of the team for a few years yet. If we happen to get in a better ball playing centre half then he will fall down the pecking order but players better than hanlon arent easy to come by for a club like us.

Lastly, a midfield which can defend would not suddenly make us stop losing goals but it would certainly help us lose less.

Gray wasn’t playing due to injuries. The other two right backs on our books were sitting on the bench. He’s only 31, I don’t think he’ll want the non football role yet but we can’t carry a ‘squad’ player that is so rarely in the squad, that when he is, is a million miles off the pace.

Given our struggles, keeping folk around for their good attitude isn’t actually benefitting is.

CMurdoch
01-02-2020, 07:47 PM
I think most on here make up their minds whose played badly or well before a ball is kicked. Today Gray struggled badly and made a horrendous decision at their second, McGregor has never been good on the ball but I thought did ok today defensively (need to see 1st goal again because I actually thought that it was Doidge that lost his man) Hanlon played really well and I'm not sure where we are supposed to get a better left sided centre half on our budget. Stevenson defended stoutly but is increasingly finding it difficult to have any impact going forward. Just as big a problem defensively is our midfield where Allan and Horgan are just not able to close opponents down nor match runs. If we want to become more solid defensively we may well have to sacrifice a bit of attacking flair in midfield. Would like us to go back to having players on the posts at corners, today's was another one that would have been headed of the line.

I agree with most of that.
Hibs cannot and will not get a better left sided CB than Hanlon on the current budget.
Horgan is best brought on as an impact sub after an hour of play. Hard to carry both him and Allan in a team.
Docherty should have played from the start, was head and shoulders above the other midfielders when he came on.
Hibs died creatively after Newell left the field and we missed his set pieces as well.
Docherty and Newell in the midfield together will be a thing of beauty but the issue of our defenders inability with the ball at their feet will remain (with the exception of Hanlon). They will continue to hoof the ball, pass square and slow down our attacks up the wings.

PH91
01-02-2020, 07:52 PM
Gray wasn’t playing due to injuries. The other two right backs on our books were sitting on the bench. He’s only 31, I don’t think he’ll want the non football role yet but we can’t carry a ‘squad’ player that is so rarely in the squad, that when he is, is a million miles off the pace.

Given our struggles, keeping folk around for their good attitude isn’t actually benefitting is.

He was playing because naismith is injured and im sure mcginn would have played ahead of him if he hadnt just been in the door 2 minutes.

He is past his best but still an able 2nd or 3rd choice right back (if he can stay fit) even if he was terrible today.

CMurdoch
01-02-2020, 07:55 PM
There is definitely fault on our part. McGregor doesn’t see the boy coming and is flat footed.

McGregor has run a couple of paces towards the ball and jumps for it but can't jump as high as the scorer who has made a longer run.
Perfectly executed classic from the training ground.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 07:55 PM
I agree with most of that.
Hibs cannot and will not get a better left sided CB than Hanlon on the current budget.
Horgan is best brought on as an impact sub after an hour of play. Hard to carry both him and Allan in a team.
Docherty should have played from the start, was head and shoulders above the other midfielders when he came on.
Hibs died creatively after Newell left the field and we missed his set pieces as well.
Docherty and Newell in the midfield together will be a thing of beauty but the issue of the defenders inability with the ball at their feet will remain (with the exception of Hanlon). They will continue to hoof the ball, pass square and slow down our attacks up the wings.

What? We can’t get a better defender than Hanlon? I’ve literally no idea how you draw that conclusion tbh. It’s probably the same attitude hearts fans thought when discussing replacing Berra.

Jdawg
01-02-2020, 07:57 PM

Lewis is terrible. Complete panic when he crosses the halfway line.

If we are under the cosh then he’s good , as soon as he has to attack he *****s himself.,stops, cuts inside and plays a safe pass back to Hanlon.

Tambo
01-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Didnt think hanlon done much wrong today, also think McGinn will be a regular at right back.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 08:01 PM
He was playing because naismith is injured and im sure mcginn would have played ahead of him if he hadnt just been in the door 2 minutes.

He is past his best but still an able 2nd or 3rd choice right back (if he can stay fit) even if he was terrible today.

Equally, if Gray hadn’t been out injured, Naismith might never have actually signed. We can’t keep carrying him IMO.

AlbertK86
01-02-2020, 08:04 PM

Both full backs first half failed to cut out crosses .... this has been an ongoing issue for Lewis especially and agree Gray is well off the pace.

Hanlon played well today but has had some really ropey games this season.

McGregor looks to be struggling as well? Was Jackson injured today ?

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 08:04 PM
Lewis is terrible. Complete panic when he crosses the halfway line.

If we are under the cosh then he’s good , as soon as he has to attack he *****s himself.,stops, cuts inside and plays a safe pass back to Hanlon.

It’s the copy and paste “Lewis and Hanlon are fine today”

It’s “fine” which means not near good enough in the general scheme of things against ***** like Hamilton and St Mirren and even Dundee Utd that has us in this position. We need better than fine week in week out for months on end.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Both full backs first half failed to cut out crosses .... this has been an ongoing issue for Lewis especially and agree Gray is well off the pace.

Hanlon played well today but has had some really ropey games this season.

McGregor looks to be struggling as well? Was Jackson injured today ?

Jackson was sick. He’s never the answer either. We did know this all transfer window mind.

Keith_M
01-02-2020, 08:08 PM
I was impressed with McGinn. He deserves a start ahead of Gray.

I think it's time Gray was moved solely to a coaching role.

Billy Whizz
01-02-2020, 08:09 PM
Jackson was sick. He’s never the answer either. We did know this all transfer window mind.

Gray was sick last week, wonder if there’s a bug going through the team

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Gray was sick last week, wonder if there’s a bug going through the team

If Dave was sick last week, coupled with his lack of first team action and returning from injury it’s no wonder he’s very rusty.

judas
01-02-2020, 08:19 PM
SDG is a hero of Hibernian.

Tread very carefully please

You say we are carrying him. Get a ****ing grip eh.

He was one of our best players vs Hamilton and now not long back from a virus. He’s not match fit FFs

If you can’t cut this man some slack then you are a welt.

Jdawg
01-02-2020, 08:20 PM
It’s the copy and paste “Lewis and Hanlon are fine today”

It’s “fine” which means not near good enough in the general scheme of things against ***** like Hamilton and St Mirren and even Dundee Utd that has us in this position. We need better than fine week in week out for months on end.

Agreed. The back 4 that starred today were honking. Replace all of them. We concede soft goal after soft goal, almost weekly.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 08:29 PM

He was one of our best players vs Hamilton and now not long back from a virus. He’s not match fit FFs

He is a legend and should always have a place at Hibs. Not in a playing capacity anymore though. We are carrying him in that sense and I don’t consider myself a welt for having that opinion.

PH91
01-02-2020, 08:32 PM
Equally, if Gray hadn’t been out injured, Naismith might never have actually signed. We can’t keep carrying him IMO.

We signed James in the summer. He wasn't up to much and we signed Naismith. He got injured and we signed McGinn.

This all suggests that Hibs don't see Gray as our first choice right back any more.

I'm not sure in what way you think Hibs are "carrying him". Do you mean because of his fitness? As far as second (arguably 3rd with James on the books) choice right backs go I'm not sure we have had many better.

Lancs Harp
01-02-2020, 08:32 PM
That back four are all past their sell by dates. SDG the legend that he is simply doesnt look fit enough and i doubt he ever will again to play at the level we aspire too. Similar for Daz and Lewis. Time calls for all of us. Paul Hanlon is struggling for form consistently and has done for sometime. 2016 is a long time ago in footballing terms. We need to progress our back four has stagnated and now moved backwards this issue should have been recognised and addressed sometime ago.

It would help if the back four had some protection from midfield of course.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 08:47 PM
We signed James in the summer. He wasn't up to much and we signed Naismith. He got injured and we signed McGinn.

This all suggests that Hibs don't see Gray as our first choice right back any more.

I'm not sure in what way you think Hibs are "carrying him". Do you mean because of his fitness? As far as second (arguably 3rd with James on the books) choice right backs go I'm not sure we have had many better.

We signed Naismith after Gray had got injured.

Gray missed all the pre season and league cup games and James started the first league game. Gray came back at Ibrox then got injured the next week.

I think we’re carrying him because he’s not capable of contributing consistently. He needs games to get up to speed but whilst he’s trying to do that, we see performances like today. And then it’ll only be a matter of time until his body breaks again.

I know people talk about the four year deal being about more than playing. But he’s only 31 so I don’t think he will be wanting to move to the other stuff yet.

Jonnyboy
01-02-2020, 08:47 PM
The two who were our worst defenders today were Boyle and Horgan. Absolutely no support offered to either full back who often had two men to cope with.

Boyle offers plenty going forward but Horgan is just poor. Never tackles, rarely lifts his head and runs about without doing much

Allant1981
01-02-2020, 08:55 PM

Pretty clear who is the welt

IberianHibernian
01-02-2020, 09:07 PM
I remember SDG getting quite a lot of flak here in early 2016 , THAT goal silenced that . He`s been a great servant to the club but I can`t see any way he can become a first team regular unless he improves his fitness . Lewis has always had his critics but we all know that loads of managers have stuck by him but he seems to be struggling in most matches this season and we must surely be looking for someone to at least provide serious competition next season ( and more than competition if we`re trying to build a team that will compete seriously for top 3 ) . St Mirren`s young left back Watters looked good today for example . Daz same as Gray - great professional but not getting any younger . I thought Hanlon was quite good today and in most recent matches and as he`s younger than other defenders and can play in several positions I hope he stays with us for a few more years though never guaranteed a place in starting team . Paul McGinn will be a good player to have as he can play in several positions and Naismith would be a good signing if he recovers from injury and his club let him leave permanently but even with them and Porteous we must be looking at at least 2 new defenders for next season .

hibbysam
01-02-2020, 09:07 PM
The two who were our worst defenders today were Boyle and Horgan. Absolutely no support offered to either full back who often had two men to cope with.

Boyle offers plenty going forward but Horgan is just poor. Never tackles, rarely lifts his head and runs about without doing much

In a 4-2-3-1 the left and right winger haven’t really meant to defend. That’s the way the setup is. Otherwise the centre forward would be so isolated we would be back in the Heckingbottom days. We really need to stop playing that formation though. Get McNulty through the middle with Doidge.

PH91
01-02-2020, 09:33 PM
We signed Naismith after Gray had got injured.

Gray missed all the pre season and league cup games and James started the first league game. Gray came back at Ibrox then got injured the next week.

I think we’re carrying him because he’s not capable of contributing consistently. He needs games to get up to speed but whilst he’s trying to do that, we see performances like today. And then it’ll only be a matter of time until his body breaks again.

I know people talk about the four year deal being about more than playing. But he’s only 31 so I don’t think he will be wanting to move to the other stuff yet.

There are plenty on the thread calling for the 4 old guard to be replaced, my original point was simply that 2 of the 4 have already been replaced, they just happened to be playing today due to injuries to others.

I still see Gray as an acceptable back up right back although i do take the point that his inability to get himself fully fit for longer than a few games is becoming concerning and something the club should be keeping an eye on. Hopefully he was just hooked today and isn't injured again because I'd prefer him on the bench over James.

judas
01-02-2020, 09:37 PM

I’d rather be welt than a Jambo like yourself.

Here’s 7 for you wierdo:

🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣

Smartie
01-02-2020, 09:42 PM

For most of the first half though I had sympathy for Horgan. He'd get the ball, have 2 or 3 of their players on top of him very quickly and have no support whatsoever - striker miles away, central midfielders nowhere to be seen and if we were lucky Stevenson would be somewhere in the vicinity for him to go backwards.

Middleton always seemed to have the same problem and most folk wrote him off as being crap.

This formation just doesn't work on a number of levels - none possibly more so than we really struggle to do anything positive down our left side. I don't actually think Horgan did all that badly defensively and we weren't under as much pressure defensively down that side. In fairness, Boyle manages ok to be positive but the defence down that side is like a sieve.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 09:42 PM

Here’s 7 for you wierdo:

🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣

Lay off the drink if you're going to post.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 09:45 PM

I think it’s clear none of us (okay maybe be) or David Gray are.

David Gray is the ultimate Hibernian legend. He’s going to draw strong feelings. Passions run high and all that.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Lay off the drink if you're going to post.

I’m sure you posted Hearts will finish above us earlier. That was either trolling or drink related?

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 09:47 PM

David Gray is the ultimate Hibernian legend. He’s going to draw strong feelings. Passions run high and all that.

Legend or not, the more we play him the more goals we will concede. We cant keep playing players just for sentimental reasons. They are fair game when it comes to a cull.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 09:49 PM
I’m sure you posted Hearts will finish above us earlier. That was either trolling or drink related?

No, I said at this rate they will finish above us. (when we were 0-2 down and they were 1-2 up.:wink:)

judas
01-02-2020, 09:52 PM
No, I said at this rate they will finish above us. (when we were 0-2 down and they were 1-2 up.:wink:)

and I’m that one that’s been drinking 😂😂

Hermit Crab
01-02-2020, 09:53 PM
and I’m that one that’s been drinking 😂😂

You don't think theres chance Hearts could finish above us? None at all?

Iggy Pope
01-02-2020, 09:56 PM

You really didn’t. You blasted in as soon as things were crap by saying you ‘bet’ they finish above us. Taking your posting blueprint into account it’s pretty clear what you do.

wookie70
01-02-2020, 10:00 PM
In a 4-2-3-1 the left and right winger haven’t really meant to defend. That’s the way the setup is. Otherwise the centre forward would be so isolated we would be back in the Heckingbottom days. We really need to stop playing that formation though. Get McNulty through the middle with Doidge.

Doidge is isolated for huge chunks of the game.

judas
01-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Nope. I really don’t mate.

Go to bed.

Hermit Crab
Nope. I really don’t mate.

Go to bed.

Don't think I will, thanks though.

The 90+2
Legend or not, the more we play him the more goals we will concede. We cant keep playing players just for sentimental reasons. They are fair game when it comes to a cull.

I don’t think he’s finished yet. I think he’s not completely fit and is BW said he’s been unwell. That might be sentimental in a way but I feel he’s improved the more he’s played in games. (Second half).

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Fair do’s - I don’t think there’s a hope that **** will finish above us. I’ll leave you to it 😁

Heisenberg
01-02-2020, 10:03 PM

They are 12 points behind us. 9 pre split games left. They’ve won once in the 8 games Stendel has had in charge. No chance they finish above us.

Unseen work
01-02-2020, 10:43 PM
FWIW I wouldn’t be surprised to see hearts finish above us. Think Boyce will fire them up the league and our defence is costing us.

12 points, 9 games and still to play us.

Ever since we tweeted about the gap after the derby at Christmas Iv been nervous.

Biggie
01-02-2020, 10:50 PM
Strangely enough today my daughters man came out with that ***** that they were going to finish above us...(he needs to stay off the drink).
Despite us being distinctly average, I cant see it.
We do need a new backline next season though...

Hibeesmad
01-02-2020, 10:56 PM
More chance of Kamberi playing for Hibs again than Hearts finishing above Hibs.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2020, 10:57 PM
FWIW I wouldn’t be surprised to see hearts finish above us. Think Boyce will fire them up the league and our defence is costing us.

12 points, 9 games and still to play us.

Ever since we tweeted about the gap after the derby at Christmas Iv been nervous.

And yet in the 4 games since then, they've managed to reduce the gap by 1 point!

I'm sure we can manage 3 or 4 wins before the split which means Hearts will need to practically win their next 9 games to overtake us before the split.

It's not happening.

Of course if we end up in the bottom six which is certainly possible then they may overtake us then but not before the split.

Allant1981
02-02-2020, 06:16 AM

Here’s 7 for you wierdo:

🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣

Very good, I'm a jambo you got me!!!

Allant1981
02-02-2020, 06:18 AM

Of course he is but people are allowed to criticise him and suggest his time at the club is up without the name calling, or even worse being called a jambo!!

Todi114
02-02-2020, 06:55 AM
We have a back four of legends
2 have played their whole career at this club
paul Hanlon looks like being the only survivor next season
jack ross has the unenviable task of dismantling our cup winning heroes
I can’t bring myself to criticise the men who ended our 114 year wait
I hope they are afforded a dignified end

Sir David Gray
02-02-2020, 06:59 AM

Correct. Whilst sentiment shouldn't come into football, it unquestionably will do when you're talking about 4 of the biggest legends to have played for the club.

berwickhibee
02-02-2020, 07:22 AM
Time to go 3 at the back.
Allowing 2 strikers and Scott Allan in natural positions.

Brightside
02-02-2020, 07:34 AM

I think we will still see Lewis too. Due to his overall fitness and his body not being hampered with injuries. Daz and SDG don’t have that luxury and will only be stop gaps this season. We do need to get a LB in tho in the summer.

J-C
02-02-2020, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately Gray has had one too many injuries and he may be in danger of ruining his legend status with his gameplay recently, he looked like a div 1 player yesterday, so far off the game it was horrible to watch him. Daz was slow off the blocks but came onto a decent game, Hanlon and Lewis coped well with St Mirrens wrestlers most of the time. I thought McGinn was composed, quick and a good solid 2nd half, very promising, he won't be a star but he'll be 7 most games. Apart from two poor mistakes we coped pretty easily with them, it was a slow start not just by the defence but the whole team yesterday.

JimBHibees
02-02-2020, 07:45 AM

None

J-C
02-02-2020, 07:47 AM

Why do you keep wanting Hearts above Hibs, have you got a bet on that? Really weird thinking for a Hibs supporter.

we are hibs
02-02-2020, 07:48 AM
Unfortunately Gray has had one too many injuries and he may be in danger of ruining his legend status with his gameplay recently, he looked like a div 1 player yesterday, so far off the game it was horrible to watch him. Daz was slow off the blocks but came onto a decent game, Hanlon and Lewis coped well with St Mirrens wrestlers most of the time. I thought McGinn was composed, quick and a good solid 2nd half, very promising, he won't be a star but he'll be 7 most games. Apart from two poor mistakes we coped pretty easily with them, it was a slow start not just by the defence but the whole team yesterday.

Ruining his legend status. Give me peace 😂

No matter how poorly david gray performs he will always be a hibs legend and always be remembered as being an excellent captain whos contributed a huge amount to the club.

And when the day comes that its his final appearance for Hibs, i hope we know it so he gets the reception he deserves. Same for the other 3. People have spoken over the years about selling out the ground if Sauzee ever returned, the same would happen for David Gray.

J-C
02-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Ruining his legend status. Give me peace 😂

No matter how poorly david gray performs he will always be a hibs legend and always be remembered as being an excellent captain whos contributed a huge amount to the club.

And when the day comes that its his final appearance for Hibs, i hope we know it so he gets the reception he deserves. Same for the other 3. People have spoken over the years about selling out the ground if Sauzee ever returned, the same would happen for David Gray.
My point was he's playing so poorly there's going to be lots of people giving him grief everytime he makes a mistake, I dont want to see that happening. He's looked shocking since he came back from injury, will he ever get back to level to compete properly at this level. I dont want to see him being skinned by average Joe's, or breaking down every 2 games, if his legs have gone and he cant do it now, the get him into the coaching set up now and get teaching those kids. I dont want to see his reputation ruined.

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Of course he is but people are allowed to criticise him and suggest his time at the club is up without the name calling, or even worse being called a jambo!!

Definitely. There’s a way of structuring the suggestion though. I don’t think your either a name or a Jambo by the way, definite passionate Hibee. 👍

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 09:09 AM
I think we will still see Lewis too. Due to his overall fitness and his body not being hampered with injuries. Daz and SDG don’t have that luxury and will only be stop gaps this season. We do need to get a LB in tho in the summer.

If Lewis and Hanlon are in our defence next season then it’s another season of mediocrity ahead.

delbert
02-02-2020, 09:25 AM
If Lewis and Hanlon are in our defence next season then it’s another season of mediocrity ahead.

This one hundred per cent !

B.H.F.C
02-02-2020, 10:03 AM

I’m critical of him performance wise but he’ll never, ever ruin his legend status. His body just isn’t up to performing at the required level any more and it’s actually sad to see. Especially considering he’s still only 31.

w pilton hibby
02-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Why it’s too simplistic to blame Hibs’ dire defensive record on the ‘old guard’. From the EN.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/why-its-too-simplistic-blame-hibs-dire-defensive-record-old-guard-1382948

Roxyhibee
02-02-2020, 09:08 PM

This is true. Long overdue to improve. We’ve accepted mediocrity for too long in those positions.

Sir David Gray
02-02-2020, 09:26 PM

David Gray could score 2 own goals per game for 6 months, miss open goals at the other end, get sent off every other week, rob my house and sing the Hearts Song in the middle of the Easter Road pitch whilst holding up the 5-1 gesture and he still couldn't ruin his legend status.

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 10:06 PM
David Gray could score 2 own goals per game for 6 months, miss open goals at the other end, get sent off every other week, rob my house and sing the Hearts Song in the middle of the Easter Road pitch whilst holding up the 5-1 gesture and he still couldn't ruin his legend status.

😂😂😂😂. It’s actually true tae.

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 10:08 PM
This is true. Long overdue to improve. We’ve accepted mediocrity for too long in those positions.

Yep. The copy and paste “Lewis and Hanlon are fine today” is proof of this.

Scouse Hibee
02-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Efe is miles ahead of what we have at the moment

Well he was when we last saw him play, that was a while ago.

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Well he was when we last saw him play, that was a while ago.

Yep. Perhaps he would struggle for fitness, confidence and awareness. Oh, wait.

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 10:47 PM
Yep. The copy and paste “Lewis and Hanlon are fine today” is proof of this.

We're you at the game?

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 10:56 PM
We're you at the game?

I would pull up your spelling but that would be so you.

I wasn’t at the game, no, I couldn’t make it - but watched it on Hibs TV.

You?

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 11:06 PM
I would pull up your spelling but that would be so you.

I wasn’t at the game, no, I couldn’t make it - but watched it on Hibs TV.

You?

:faf:

Pulling me up on a typo and blaming me for it. Class deflection.

No, I watched on TV. I live 200 miles away.

Do you ever go to game's?

(I've left that rogue apostrophe in there to make you feel good about yourself, Ivan 👍)

KingPat4
02-02-2020, 11:08 PM
Can we please forget about Ambrose. AFAIK he has not played in over a year, He's not coming back.

:blah:

Hibbyradge
02-02-2020, 11:11 PM
Can we please forget about Ambrose. AFAIK he has not played in over a year, He's not coming back.

Correct. And there's a reason he doesn't have a team now, even if we don't know what it is.

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 11:53 PM
:faf:

Pulling me up on a typo and blaming me for it. Class deflection.

No, I watched on TV. I live 200 miles away.

Do you ever go to game's?

(I've left that rogue apostrophe in there to make you feel good about yourself, Ivan 👍)

Can you point out my class deflection when I answered your question? I was giving you a bit that you like to rip others on here for. In fact, don’t please.

Yep, we know, you live in York, we hear about that with your holidays all the time needlessly.

Ivan?

Yes, I’ve been to a lot more games this season for example, we know you went during the week.

Anyway, the thread is about our defence, erm, Gatsby, I would appreciate it if you want to communicate with me in future you do it by discussing the thread otherwise I’ll be trying to get you a warning like your wee pal Stevie done with me 👍

The 90+2
02-02-2020, 11:57 PM

We’re in need of a central defender, probably a right back too. Ambrose was the best defender we’ve had since Bamba. He’s kicking about still as our defence is a shambles.

Smartie
03-02-2020, 12:06 AM

What if he joined Rangers and made a few daft comments after arriving at Ibrox?

The 90+2
03-02-2020, 12:14 AM

To put into context, as Sir David was showing off his hun top with 2-3 on the back? 😁😁😁😁

Hibeesmad
03-02-2020, 12:38 AM

He could **** the missus and I'd cheer each thrust.

The 90+2
03-02-2020, 02:10 AM
He could **** the missus and I'd cheer each thrust.

Stevie Fulton could take mines forever and I’ll make him a roast beef dinner if it helps?

JohnM1875
03-02-2020, 02:30 AM
Honestly don't think Hanlon was bad at all on Saturday. Don't get half the abuse he gets on here either. I'd be keeping him next season for sure. McGinn looks like a good signing too.

The rest of the defence needs improved on though, can't argue with that. I'll never ever slate Daz, Lewie or SDG. Just time to replace them. It happens to the best of players.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2020, 02:32 AM
If you think we’ve got a bad defence go see the 49ers.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2020, 06:12 AM
I cant remember the last time we had a back 4 that was not playing together with at least one player just coming back from injury, and not 100% match fit.

Saturday had us with 2 in Gray and McGregor, both back after very long injuries.

And when you see who the players are in front of them, be it Horgan or Boyle, is it any wonder they would struggle on that side of the pitch?

Not sure why we'd play 50% of our back 4 like this, maybe we were short in numbers, but it does seem a little daft in my opinion.

JimBHibees
03-02-2020, 06:18 AM
I cant remember the last time we had a back 4 that was not playing together with at least one player just coming back from injury, and not 100% match fit.

Saturday had us with 2 in Gray and McGregor, both back after very long injuries.

And when you see who the players are in front of them, be it Horgan or Boyle, is it any wonder they would struggle on that side of the pitch?

Not sure why we'd play 50% of our back 4 like this, maybe we were short in numbers, but it does seem a little daft in my opinion.

Good point think Jackson was ill though. Also personally and I know he isn't the best would have played James given he had just played 2 games back to back and Gray had been ill missing Motherwell game. Gray was left out to dry a wee bit on Saturday imo given not playing regularly and against a lively winger with Boyle in front. Think McGinn will be in rest of the season injury permitting.

theonlywayisup
03-02-2020, 06:32 AM
Not read the thread, but my take on it is that the back four of Stevenson, Hanlon, McGregor & Gray have been great servants to Hibernian FC. All four are still more than adequate individually and collectively, but it's clear that their ability to play consistently well at the highest level in Scottish Football is diminishing with every passing month. Whilst I state adequate, this is not good enough for Hibernian FC.

The fact that we're still playing the Scottish Cup winning back four four years later will be a surprise to many with no connection to Hibernian FC. I can't think off any team that has the same back four playing four years later. That said, we've obviously tried to replace them with Porto, Jackson & James, but for varying reasons we still have same back four playing.

If we still have the same back four playing next year, I will be pretty disappointed. We need to get some young blood and get pace and energy into the defence. We need to go down the 'McGinn' route in buying Scottish players, though I would prefer younger players from the Championship.

On the subject of Porto, I also have reservations about him being the player I once thought a few months ago. He needs to take some time to learn from the best and stop the ridiculous challenges.

BILLYHIBS
03-02-2020, 06:46 AM
Good point think Jackson was ill though. Also personally and I know he isn't the best would have played James given he had just played 2 games back to back and Gray had been ill missing Motherwell game. Gray was left out to dry a wee bit on Saturday imo given not playing regularly and against a lively winger with Boyle in front. Think McGinn will be in rest of the season injury permitting.

James got ripped a new one by the same tricky winger back in August I remember Jackson coming across time and time again to clear the danger

You could tell by SDGs body language after the loss of the second that he knew he should have done better

It was sad to watch as the guy is a club legend

I would defo go with McGinn at right back give SDG more time to recover and get back to full fitness and maybe try James in midfield in the Development Team to see how he gets on in a new position

Smartie
03-02-2020, 07:18 AM
Not read the thread, but my take on it is that the back four of Stevenson, Hanlon, McGregor & Gray have been great servants to Hibernian FC. All four are still more than adequate individually and collectively, but it's clear that their ability to play consistently well at the highest level in Scottish Football is diminishing with every passing month. Whilst I state adequate, this is not good enough for Hibernian FC.

The fact that we're still playing the Scottish Cup winning back four four years later will be a surprise to many with no connection to Hibernian FC. I can't think off any team that has the same back four playing four years later. That said, we've obviously tried to replace them with Porto, Jackson & James, but for varying reasons we still have same back four playing.

If we still have the same back four playing next year, I will be pretty disappointed. We need to get some young blood and get pace and energy into the defence. We need to go down the 'McGinn' route in buying Scottish players, though I would prefer younger players from the Championship.

On the subject of Porto, I also have reservations about him being the player I once thought a few months ago. He needs to take some time to learn from the best and stop the ridiculous challenges.

Is the very definition of "adequate" not that they are good enough for Hibernian FC? If they are not good enough then they can only be classed as inadequate.

I think folk are overreacting a wee bit. The defending WAS poor at times but that doesn't mean we need to write off players. Hanlon was good on Saturday, Stevenson was "adequate". Gray had a bit of a nightmare but he's not had many of those for us. McGregor might have done better at the goals but again did fine throughout the game. McGinn looked good when he went on.

There was a good article elsewhere (possibly linked even on this thread) which stated that the back 4 aren't disappearing over the hill. One of our biggest problems has been the enforced changes meaning we've not had anything like enough continuity. Ideally you want to be able to play your best back 4 and keeper every week and for one reason or another (mainly injury) we've not been able to do that. We should expect an improvement when (if) we get a wee bit of continuity, both in defence and protecting the defence.

SlickShoes
03-02-2020, 07:34 AM
Is the very definition of "adequate" not that they are good enough for Hibernian FC? If they are not good enough then they can only be classed as inadequate.

I think folk are overreacting a wee bit. The defending WAS poor at times but that doesn't mean we need to write off players. Hanlon was good on Saturday, Stevenson was "adequate". Gray had a bit of a nightmare but he's not had many of those for us. McGregor might have done better at the goals but again did fine throughout the game. McGinn looked good when he went on.

There was a good article elsewhere (possibly linked even on this thread) which stated that the back 4 aren't disappearing over the hill. One of our biggest problems has been the enforced changes meaning we've not had anything like enough continuity. Ideally you want to be able to play your best back 4 and keeper every week and for one reason or another (mainly injury) we've not been able to do that. We should expect an improvement when (if) we get a wee bit of continuity, both in defence and protecting the defence.

The lack of continuity is everywhere really, people thought we were overloaded on right backs and due to injuries we have had to sign yet another one.

The only consistent performer this season is Doidge, and probably Scott Allan, everyone else has been in and out the team for various different reasons. Generally in our league if you look at the teams that are doing well and "punching above their weight" they are having a relatively injury-free run with a settled team.

It's just constant unwanted changes that we need to somehow curb, and if it's a freak injury and illness there is little you can do. Jackson and Hanlon were decent together then, Jackson is ill. Gray came back and seemed OK, then got ill, then James came back and looked "unsure" I would say, then Gray was rushed back into the team as McGinn had only just signed.

Personally I think we are doing OK considering the team Hecky set up for us, we are flawed but Jack Ross has us at least playing decent football and we have something good to build on, with Hecky we were just a lost cause heading for the Championship.

Begbie79
03-02-2020, 07:47 AM
Centre halfs currently without clubs.....................

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=3&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

Captain Trips
03-02-2020, 09:09 AM

That is a point. Going to Ibrox whatever system is being played it cannot be with players coming back after a lay off. If everyone is 100% we have good shout but if any of the defence is lacking then its game over.

BILLYHIBS
03-02-2020, 09:19 AM
That is a point. Going to Ibrox whatever system is being played it cannot be with players coming back after a lay off. If everyone is 100% we have good shout but if any of the defence is lacking then its game over.

If The Rangers lose to us they will be 10 points adrift that should be a hint in itself

I would love it just love it if we could take something from this game

overdrive
03-02-2020, 12:38 PM
All four are declining in performance. Gray and McGregor look to be ‘finished’ and Stevenson looks ‘finished’ at full back.

I think Stevenson might have some life left in him if we moved him back to holding midfield and didn’t ask him to attack.

Hanlon I think is maybe suffering due to the others.

Anthony Soprano
03-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Hanlon is just as bad, if you watch St Mirren's first goal from Saturday it was Hanlon's man who scored.

Hanlon initially loses him and him and Doidge end up marking the same guy, then McGregor caught on his heels far too slow to react beaten to the header at the front post, a free f4ckin header, horrendous marking.

That back 4 that started the game are well past it, they've become a liability now.

Anthony Soprano
03-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Correct. None of them are the exception, they've all played their part in a very poor defence this season and are showing considerable signs of ageing. Need replaced in the Summer.

J-C
03-02-2020, 02:32 PM
Hanlon is just as bad, if you watch St Mirren's first goal from Saturday it was Hanlon's man who scored.

Hanlon initially loses him and him and Doidge end up marking the same guy, then McGregor caught on his heels far too slow to react beaten to the header at the front post, a free f4ckin header, horrendous marking.

That back 4 that started the game are well past it, they've become a liability now.
Hanlon was blocked off at the corner, that's why his man got the space, Daz nearly gets over to cover, it could be said he was illegally blocked by the St Mirren player.

Anthony Soprano
03-02-2020, 02:33 PM

Hanlon was excellent.

Gray was very poor.

McGinn was impressive.

Some folk must of been watching a different game to me, Hanlon maybe wasn't as bad as Gray but he was far from excellent.

hibbysam
03-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Some folk must of been watching a different game to me, Hanlon maybe wasn't as bad as Gray but he was far from excellent.

What makes your opinion any more valid than anyone else’s? Just curious. Apart from facts clearly painting Hanlon in decent like for the majority of this season, I’m sure you can provide some facts on why he is ‘ageing’ and ‘far from excellent’.