PDA

View Full Version : How do we line up now?

MikeyS
01-02-2020, 07:53 AM
With business all done (unless any free agents appear) what is everyone's 1st choice XI?

I'm not sure weve really addressed the unbalance in the squad. I'd assume McNulty will partner Doidge in a 2 which usually means a more traditional 4 in midfield.

Boyle isn't going to be dropped.

Who plays left side? Horgan is the obvious choice but then who misses out of Allan, Omeonga, Docherty, Newell & Halberg for the 2 CM positions?

I'd go Newell & Docherty personally but feel we need to get Allan in our side even when he is having a dip in form as he can do what no other can. Nice problem to have for JR & will be interesting to see how he does it!

Bogdan

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Docherty
Newell
Horgan

Doidge
McNulty

Hibby Kay-Yay
01-02-2020, 07:54 AM
think we’re set up for the diamond

Rocky

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Omeonga

Docherty
Newall

Allan

Doidge
Boyle

Or 433

Rocky

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Docherty
Omeonga
Newall

Boyle
Doidge
McNulty

judas
01-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Omeonga for Doc. Re the first post.

MikeyS
01-02-2020, 07:56 AM
think we’re set up for the diamond

Rocky

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Omeonga

Docherty
Newall

Allan

Doidge
Boyle

Or 433

Rocky

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Docherty
Omeonga
Newall

Boyle
Doidge
McNulty

McNulty wont be coming here to play wide left and Boyle isn't as good in a 2 up top. We need his pace in the wing

MikeyS
01-02-2020, 07:58 AM
Omeonga for Doc. Re the first post.

From what I've seen previously, Docherty is going to be serious upgrade on Omeonga. How match fit he is might be an issue though I suppose.

wookie70
01-02-2020, 08:05 AM
We are still left with an issue of where to fit Allan in and now Newell is playing well where to play him if at all. A Diamond with Boyle, Docherty, Steph and either Newell or Allan seems most likely or maybe we will continue with one up top. Either way it will all need changing in the summer

danhibees1875
01-02-2020, 08:14 AM
It's the enigma that seems to have plagued Hibs for a while now. I can't remember when we were last able to say "our best players are these guys and so that fits perfectly to play this formation". :dunno:

I think 2 upfront is what we'll have to play to get the best from Doidge and McNulty. 4-4-2 seems the obvious choice but I think that limits Boyle and/or Allan to an extent - these guys are our 2 main creative outlets who will be involved in the goals.

3-5-2 could work, but it's not something JR has seemed interested in so far and would rely on McGinn being able to play RCB (which I think I read he could) and still limits Boyle a little. It also arguably needs a more defensive minded midfielder within the 3.
I think it would still be my favoured formation.

Marciano
McGinn Jackson Hanlon
Boyle Docherty Hallberg Stevenson
Allan
McNulty Doidge

Bench: Bogdan, Gray, McGregor, Whittaker, Newall, Omeonga, Gullan

Any of the bench, other than Gullan for now, would fill in without really reducing the quality in the team.

Slivka, Porteous when fit, and Mallan when fit would also be looking to get in about the team.

hibby67
01-02-2020, 08:16 AM
If he is going to play Doidge and McNulty together it has to be in a 4-4-2
Perhaps that is Jack Ross favourite formation now he has the players to play it ?

BoomtownHibees
01-02-2020, 08:18 AM
If he is going to play Doidge and McNulty together it has to be in a 4-4-2
Perhaps that is Jack Ross favourite formation now he has the players to play it ?

Doesn’t have to be 442, would like to see us try 352:

Rocky

Mcginn
Jackson/Daz
Hanlon

Boyle
Doc
Omeonga
Allan
Stevenson

Doidge
McNulty

Smartie
01-02-2020, 08:20 AM
It’s a mess.

We’ve signed some decent players but the squad is hopelessly imbalanced and the players signed don’t really address our deficiencies.

It looks like Ross is committed to playing 451 which doesn’t really work with our current players. Doidge is pish when he’s isolated, see the difference in him when we changed on Wednesday. Horgan is our only option on the left and he’s hopelessly inconsistent. The central midfielders we have should suit playing 352 but we don’t have the defenders for that, no depth in the striker department, a difficulty accommodating Boyle and question marks on the left.

We might manage a simple 442 but that involves a lot of good midfielders sitting out.

The diamond probably suits our players best and I think we’ll manage to pump the weaker teams in the league with it but anyone half decent will quickly work out how easy it is to get at our fullbacks.

Personally, I think it’s a shambles of a squad and exactly what we did under Fenlon and what we immediately improved and got away from under Stubbs - ample options in certain areas, ridiculously thin in others and no obvious sense of direction regarding how they play together. The players recruited are good (which is something at least) but it’s like we’re signing players because they’d be good to have - fine if we’re going to be sold for profit but with them being on loan it all seems a bit pointless.

MikeyS
01-02-2020, 08:22 AM
Will be very harsh to drop Newell after the form he has shown.

352 is always my favourite formation but no sure we have the right players at this moment.

yerauldda
01-02-2020, 08:26 AM
For now I’d play the below:

Marciano
McGinn Jackson Hanlon Stevenson
Docherty Omeonga Newell
Boyle Doidge Horgan

Bench:
Bogdan
McGregor
Gray
Hallberg
Allan
McNulty
Whittaker

Allan and McNulty the two with a real fight on their hands for a starting spot.

Gmack7
01-02-2020, 08:26 AM
In current form Joe newall will surely start

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 08:35 AM
We are still left with an issue of where to fit Allan in and now Newell is playing well where to play him if at all. A Diamond with Boyle, Docherty, Steph and either Newell or Allan seems most likely or maybe we will continue with one up top. Either way it will all need changing in the summer

Based on current form, fitting Allan in isn’t a problem because he’s not playing well.

Problem we have in playing with wingers is that we’re fine with Boyle playing on one side but nobody consistently plays well on the other side with Horgan a total hit or miss. So on that basis I agree that we might see a diamond being used, not today though as I don’t expect McNulty to start.

McKenzie
01-02-2020, 08:37 AM
In current form Joe newall will surely start

In current form we build the team around him and Doidge. Allan has not deserved a place lately so there’s no point shoehorning him. 442 has worked lately, if that doesn’t suit Allan then so be it. Can’t imagine Jack Ross does not have a plan for the players we have signed. Next four games will tell all

S4uzee
01-02-2020, 08:39 AM
I want us to go 3-5-2. It’s a strong formation and we have the players but not played it since Lennon

Marciano

Jackson
Mcgregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Omeonga
Allan
Docherty
Stevenson

Mcnulty
Doidge

Gives us two wide men, 3 CB’s to tighten up the defence, 3 in CM with energy and also a partner for Doidge

eastcoasthibby
01-02-2020, 08:42 AM
It's a tough one now with so many central midfielders albeit all slightly different or some night argue very different, we wanted solidity in the midfield and a pairing just now would look like Omeonga and Newell for today as I don't think Docherty is at match sharpness through lack of fame time at Ibrox, though maybe wrong on his fitness. If Docherty is ready to go, I think we can play Omeonga on the left of a midfield with Boyle on the right ...it leaves Scott Allan on the bench with Horgan ....with Docherty and Doidge going together up top.
Whatever we all think JR has some real selection options to go with and no doubt knows how he wants it ...the competition for those places in the midfield and forward positions is really good and hopefully lifts the game quality ...look forward to see what the Boss comes up with today ...the other thing is that too many changes in one game could undo some of the good work done ...

The Leith Dutch
01-02-2020, 09:00 AM
With business all done (unless any free agents appear) what is everyone's 1st choice XI?

I'm not sure weve really addressed the unbalance in the squad. I'd assume McNulty will partner Doidge in a 2 which usually means a more traditional 4 in midfield.

Boyle isn't going to be dropped.

Who plays left side? Horgan is the obvious choice but then who misses out of Allan, Omeonga, Docherty, Newell & Halberg for the 2 CM positions?

I'd go Newell & Docherty personally but feel we need to get Allan in our side even when he is having a dip in form as he can do what no other can. Nice problem to have for JR & will be interesting to see how he does it!

Bogdan

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Docherty
Newell
Horgan

Doidge
McNulty

I get where you're coming from with unbalance though I'd probably phrase it more as signing good players rather than a good team (though hopefully JR can get that from the good players).

My take:
a) Completely agree we need to get Allan in the side for the reasons you outline above. To me you build the team around Scott Allan's vision.
Not saying he doesn't have off days or dips in form but that's part of the market we operate in.

b) With Boyle's form right now he's undroppable which means you need a formation that accommodates both.

c) We absolutely must play at least two Centre midfielders to hold that area of the park to let the rest of the team play.

Given that then it boils down to needing one of the calls below:
1) We go 3 at the back
2) We go 1 up front
3) We don't play a left winger and let Boyle choose which wing he thinks he can do damage on

I like option 3 the best - Horgan is a decent player but I wouldn't be gutted that he's only coming off the bench.

Options 1 or 2 are technically more balanced.
If we can be comfortable with 3 at the back and 1 up front then we have options to set up for the opposition.

The one thing I would say is that presumably one up front is on the cards given that we only have two forwards.
Not advocating that btw but just an observation that we're very light on strikers if we plan to play two up front.

Smartie
01-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Did Fraser Murray not leave in the end?

He might be a shout on the left, thought he looked lively on Tuesday.

MrRobot
01-02-2020, 09:23 AM
I want us to go 3-5-2. It’s a strong formation and we have the players but not played it since Lennon

Marciano

Jackson
Mcgregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Omeonga
Allan
Docherty
Stevenson

Mcnulty
Doidge

Gives us two wide men, 3 CB’s to tighten up the defence, 3 in CM with energy and also a partner for Doidge

Like the idea of going back to 3-5-2, but Newell should be in the team.

Eyrie
01-02-2020, 09:47 AM
Marciano or Bogdan in goals is a win/win choice.

A back four is a given, so that's McGinn, Jackson/McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson.

Then I'd play three in midfield - two from Omeonga/Hallberg/Docherty and one of Allan/Newell - and give Boyle a free role on either wing.

And play Doidge and McNulty up front.

Decent bench with either keeper, Gray, McGregor/Jackson, two of the midfielders, Horgan and Gullan. Still leaves us Slivka and Murray with Mallan and possibly Porteous to return.

H18 SFR
01-02-2020, 09:51 AM
I don't think Docherty will be better than Omeonga and Newall.

villahibs
01-02-2020, 10:16 AM
..........................Rocky..............

Mcginn...Mcgregor...Hanlon.....Stevenson

..................Docherty.....Allan ......................

Boyle............................................. Newell

..................Mcnulty.....Doidge.............. .

PH91
01-02-2020, 10:36 AM
The players we have signed are of good quality (on paper) but again it seems like our recruitment has just bought good players without any thought of how they go together.

Still no midfielder with good defensive qualities but docherty, omeonga and newell (who has been like a new signing) at least gives us more dig than we had.

Seems to me that only 3 of mcnulty, doidge, boyle or allan will play at one time, i just dont think we have the defensive players to allow all of them on the pitch at once.

AlbertK86
01-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Based on current fitness and ability and all being on form

Rocky

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Newell
Docherty
Allan

Boyle - free role

Doidge
McNulty

Subs
Bogdan
Whittaker
McGregor
Omeonga
Hallberg
Horgan
Gullan/Murray

Don’t think he’ll start with that today.

Think newcomers willl start on bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
01-02-2020, 10:44 AM
I’d go:

Rocky

McGinn
Daz
Hanlon
Stevenson

Omeonga
Newell
Docherty

Allan

Boyle
Doidge

Possibly drop Allan and Boyle back one each and replace Omeonga with McNulty.

HibeeJude
01-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Anyone think Allan could play as an inside forward on the left? Means Boyle could stay wide on the right and we could keep a 4-3-3. Plus having Steph, Docherty and Newell in the middle means their energy would cover him from tracking back.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Anyone think Allan could play as an inside forward on the left? Means Boyle could stay wide on the right and we could keep a 4-3-3. Plus having Steph, Docherty and Newell in the middle means their energy would cover him from tracking back.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see something like that at some point.

wookie70
01-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Anyone think Allan could play as an inside forward on the left? Means Boyle could stay wide on the right and we could keep a 4-3-3. Plus having Steph, Docherty and Newell in the middle means their energy would cover him from tracking back.Allan pretty much does play left inside forward 8n attack he just forgets that he needs to track men too. Tricky to drop him when in form but he is less consistent than Flo was. He would be on the bench for me. We score plenty goals where he isn't involved so would rather have more legs in the team. Newell is the player to replace Allan for me

B.H.F.C
01-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Allan pretty much does play left inside forward 8n attack he just forgets that he needs to track men too. Tricky to drop him when in form but he is less consistent than Flo was. He would be on the bench for me. We score plenty goals where he isn't involved so would rather have more legs in the team. Newell is the player to replace Allan for me

No sure about Allan being less consistent than Flo. We must have had a fair bit more in terms of goals and assists from him this season.

makaveli1875
01-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Rocky

McGinn
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Newall
Docherty
Omeonga

Horgan/Allan

Doidge
Boyle

ancient hibee
01-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Whatever way we line up we’ll have a midfield that couldn’t tackle a fish supper and will be the same as we have been all season wide open through the middle.Failure to bring in a proper defensive mid fielder is staggering and keeps the pressure on a less than confident defence.

thegaffer12
01-02-2020, 12:42 PM
General consensus seems to be Hallberg won't be a starter anymore.

Dr_Regal
01-02-2020, 12:45 PM
—————Marciano——————-
McGinn-Jackson-Hanlon-Stevenson
Boyle-Omeonga-Docherty-Newell
————McNulty-Doidge—————