PDA

View Full Version : Locked out

Weegreenman
01-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Anyone else locked out at the most crucial of times last night? The last hour of transfer deadline day.

Very disappointed to say the least and it’s not the first time this has happened,

Onceinawhile
01-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Anyone else locked out at the most crucial of times last night? The last hour of transfer deadline day.

Very disappointed to say the least and it’s not the first time this has happened,

Are you a private member?

judas
01-02-2020, 07:42 AM
I was locked out, but I am not a member.

I know a couple of other guys who ARE members and they couldn’t get in either

Never seems to happen on Kickback (and yes I do like to keep my eye on the cheats)

I blame it on the time a called a lassie a bitch for joining Rangers. That’s not allowed under the newspeak language austerity that is being imposed on the general populous these days.

Johnny_Leith
01-02-2020, 07:42 AM
I'm often locked out whenever the site is busy, messages an admin about it but no response. Clearly on some kind of banger list for my bad chat, don't blame them...

Weegreenman
01-02-2020, 07:45 AM
Are you a private member?

Nope, just an ordinary Joe. Wasn’t aware you needed to be a PM. If that’s the case, I’ll happily contribute to become a member.

DaveF
01-02-2020, 07:47 AM
I believe it was closed to all but private member's due to the volume of traffic slowing the site down.

If everyone who used the site paid something to it, then the folks that run it could afford to pay for more bandwidth.

As it is, private member's pay so they get the 'benefit' at busy times.

tamig
01-02-2020, 07:50 AM
The “Slowing Down” thread further down tells the story.

staunchhibby
01-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Even as a PM I still found it difficult to log on last night.

Carheenlea
01-02-2020, 07:53 AM
I believe it was closed to all but private member's due to the volume of traffic slowing the site down.

If everyone who used the site paid something to it, then the folks that run it could afford to pay for more bandwidth.

As it is, private member's pay so they get the 'benefit' at busy times.

I thought the PM board would be quicker as less people would be on that than the main forum, but reading that the bandwidth thing must be for the whole site. Obviously I have no idea whatsoever about tech.

shamo9
01-02-2020, 07:54 AM

If access to Hibs.net is so important to you why not pay the fiver a year to support the running of it? Join us ^_^ :flag:

Carheenlea
01-02-2020, 07:56 AM
If access to Hibs.net is so important to you why not pay the fiver a year to support the running of it? Join us ^_^ :flag:

Still cheap at twice the price...

Weegreenman
01-02-2020, 07:58 AM

Very happy to do that mate. How do I go about joining ??

DaveF
01-02-2020, 08:00 AM
I thought the PM board would be quicker as less people would be on that than the main forum, but reading that the bandwidth thing must be for the whole site. Obviously I have no idea whatsoever about tech.

Dunno. I guess the database was getting a hammering which slow all aspects of the site down until whatever bottleneck was cleared.

It's a difficult one to manage but if everyone paid then those running the place could afford a top deal to give the level of service craved for at busy times. In the real world though that will never happen as most people think this place runs for free.

Carheenlea
01-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Very happy to do that mate. How do I go about joining ??

In the drop down menu for all the forums, click on private membership and follow instructions. It’s actually a tenner, not a fiver, but still not a huge sum to pay.

cmcd
01-02-2020, 08:03 AM

Yes I was locked out .Cant understand why

Since452
01-02-2020, 08:06 AM
It was a bit of a shame to be honest. Last hour

lord bunberry
01-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Yes I was locked out .Cant understand why
When it gets really busy the site slows down. It’s then restricted to private members, pay up and you’ll never be locked out.

Dunbar Hibee
01-02-2020, 08:15 AM
Bit of a shambles quite frankly.

SquashedFrogg
01-02-2020, 08:23 AM

Bit harsh. Isn't it run and maintained on a voluntary basis?

Joe6-2
01-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Still cheap at twice the price...

😂😂

Percy Vere
01-02-2020, 08:41 AM

Never seems to happen on Kickback (and yes I do like to keep my eye on the cheats)

I blame it on the time a called a lassie a bitch for joining Rangers. That’s not allowed under the newspeak language austerity that is being imposed on the general populous these days.

Imagine not being allowed to call a lassie a bitch!
What’s the world coming to eh?

superfurryhibby
01-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Pony up, then you’ll not miss out.

Personally, I find it quite amusing how people can have multiple thousands of posts and be such a tight was as to not pay a tenner a year, then come and moan about being locked out :na na:

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 08:55 AM
As explained on other threads last night the site was running slow at times.

We locked out guests pretty early on to try and help things and we made it clear that our next step would be making access available to pm’s only.

We did leave it as long as we possibly could before we took this action.

Weegreenman
01-02-2020, 08:57 AM
In the drop down menu for all the forums, click on private membership and follow instructions. It’s actually a tenner, not a fiver, but still not a huge sum to pay.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 08:59 AM

:faf:

Paranoid much?

01-02-2020, 09:00 AM
As explained on other threads last night the site was running slow at times.

We locked out guests pretty early on to try and help things and we made it clear that our next step would be making access available to pm’s only.

We did leave it as long as we possibly could before we took this action.

Yes I also got locked out. Guessed it would be because of overload but it was disappointing because of the bids going on for both Dunfermline and Hamilton players!

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 09:02 AM
For anyone that wants to become a pm here’s the link - https://www.hibs.net/payments.php

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 09:04 AM

If that was the case you wouldn’t be allowed on at all, not just at busy times.

If pm’s couldn’t get on last night they must not have been logged on before access was restricted.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2020, 09:04 AM
When it gets really busy the site slows down. It’s then restricted to private members, pay up and you’ll never be locked out.

If everyone was a PM wouldn’t it be too slow? And where would all the world exclusives be posted?

Dunbar Hibee
01-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Pony up, then you’ll not miss out.

Personally, I find it quite amusing how people can have multiple thousands of posts and be such a tight was as to not pay a tenner a year, then come and moan about being locked out :na na:

Nah, you’re alright thanks.

SquashedFrogg
01-02-2020, 09:07 AM
If everyone was a PM wouldn’t it be too slow? And where would all the world exclusives be posted?

Maybe they'd have more funds to increase/improve server capacity?

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2020, 09:10 AM
Maybe they'd have more funds to increase/improve server capacity?

Maybe.

Maybe they wouldn’t have enough though. Who would they lock out when it’s too slow?

Southernhibee
01-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Tried to access the part of the site where you can pay for private membership but it can up advising that I can’t. How are you supposed to join

superfurryhibby
01-02-2020, 09:13 AM

Here’s hoping you enjoy being locked out many more times in the future.

Wee Effen Bee
01-02-2020, 09:16 AM

Wait, what? Is this satire? You called a young girl footballer a bitch but you’re blaming society for acknowledging it is an ignorant and idiotic thing to do? Really? What an erse!

SquashedFrogg
01-02-2020, 09:24 AM
Maybe.

Maybe they wouldn’t have enough though. Who would they lock out when it’s too slow?

Premium members who pay more than £10? 😀

Jones28
01-02-2020, 09:28 AM

So you’ll just let others pay towards it but still moan when it runs slow? You deserve what you get then.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2020, 09:46 AM
So you’ll just let others pay towards it but still moan when it runs slow? You deserve what you get then.

Quite funny really. It literally costs about 2.74 pence PER DAY to be a private member on here. For that amount you'll never be restricted from posting on here. I can't believe people are openly criticising being locked out when it's really busy (which is hardly ever) and in the same breath, they refuse to stump up less than 3 pence per day! :faf:

Jack Hackett
01-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Tried to access the part of the site where you can pay for private membership but it can up advising that I can’t. How are you supposed to join

I believe there are 'qualifications' for joining the PM board... one of them being having more than 2 posts in 4 years.

matty_f
01-02-2020, 10:19 AM

We could afford more bandwidth.

As it is, the site copes absolutely fine the vast majority of the time, so spending more is only really justified for a few hours out of the year.

If more people paid, we'd just upgrade.

Dunbar Hibee
01-02-2020, 10:28 AM

Wasn’t moaning about it running slow, was moaning about being locked out. Pay attention

Allant1981
01-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Wasn’t moaning about it running slow, was moaning about being locked out. Pay attention

Well pay for a PM then you can stop moaning altogether

KingPat4
01-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Frustrating to be on here all day yesterday and then be locked out at the important time.

I'm moving to Follow Follow. Always loved their threads and they have the best posters.

Always been my dream.

I'll be back in the summer.

:na na:

Vault Boy
01-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Wait, what? Is this satire? You called a young girl footballer a bitch but you’re blaming society for acknowledging it is an ignorant and idiotic thing to do? Really? What an erse!

Incredible isn't it? But no, of course it's the Orwellian dystopia of Hibs.net to blame, and not their own behaviour. Absolutely unbelievable.

Not to mention the fact that it had nothing to do with being them being locked out, as HG has explained.

Apologies to anyone else for the inconvenience of the site slowing down, it is something we've been looking at for quite a while but unfortunately the answer isn't a simple or cheap one. We'll keep trying to work on it.

sleeping giant
01-02-2020, 10:44 AM
Ended up listening to the sportsound TDD special which was utterly crap , reading Twitter and reading Jambos kickback transfer thread.

danhibees1875
01-02-2020, 10:46 AM

You were locked out because the site was running slow. The two are very much dependant on each other. :aok:

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Maybe.

Guests. And twats. :na na:

tamig
01-02-2020, 10:48 AM

And the reason for you being locked out? Pay attention.

Oscar T Grouch
01-02-2020, 10:49 AM

You cannae moan about not getting a service you don’t pay for. That’s like moaning at Sky for not giving you free football when you’ve got the basic package they offer. Pony up a tenner and it won’t happen to you. I had great access last night. Also .net contribute to Hibs every year which is worth paying the subs for alone.

wazoo1875
01-02-2020, 10:56 AM
Frustrating to be on here all day yesterday and then be locked out at the important time.

I'm moving to Follow Follow. Always loved their threads and they have the best posters.

Always been my dream.

😂😂😂👍🏻

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Guests. And twats. :na na:

What if you’re a PM and a twat? :

No offence. :hilarious

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 11:11 AM
What if you’re a PM and a twat? :

No offence. :hilarious

:tee hee:

Frankly, that's impossible.

Eyrie
01-02-2020, 11:27 AM
:tee hee:

Frankly, that's impossible.

I'm the exception that proves the rule.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 11:28 AM
I'm the exception that proves the rule.

I'd heard rumours, but I refused to believe them.

Until now.

KingPat4
01-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Times must have changed. Admins used to be known as ****s.

Craig_HFC
01-02-2020, 11:30 AM
I’m a PM and the site was as slow as **** last night.

Jay
01-02-2020, 11:34 AM
I’m a PM and the site was as slow as **** last night.

But you werent locked out. We booted guests then registered members so you could still log on, albeit a bit slower than usual.

overdrive
01-02-2020, 11:36 AM
Were the PMs that were locked out using Chrome? Whenever I go to Hibs.net on Chrome it shows me as not being logged in then as soon as I click any link, I’m automatically logged in.

When it is restricted to PMs it shows a message saying I’m not permitted access, but then as soon as I click anything I’m in.

Scouse Hibee
01-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Here’s hoping you enjoy being locked out many more times in the future.

I second that.

Box 17
01-02-2020, 11:47 AM
I'd happily pay a tenner but it says I'm not elegible.

It would be useful if there was some sort of explanation put up as to what the criteria for private membership is.

One Day Soon
01-02-2020, 11:50 AM

I agree with this but just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment there's - rightly - been quite a bit of Kamberi abuse since last night for going to the same club and nobody has really objected to it. To be fair, he did issue a ridiculous statement though and I don't his abuse has been gender based.

Jack Hackett
01-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Were the PMs that were locked out using Chrome? Whenever I go to Hibs.net on Chrome it shows me as not being logged in then as soon as I click any link, I’m automatically logged in.

When it is restricted to PMs it shows a message saying I’m not permitted access, but then as soon as I click anything I’m in.

This usually has to do with your saved link to .net being non-secure (the address starting "http://hibs.net"). To get automatic login, this needs to be "https://hibs.net"... the 's' indicates 'secure'

One Day Soon
01-02-2020, 11:53 AM

Always been my dream.

Hope your Polish is good, we're selling you to LechPoznan.net for £2 in August.

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 12:57 PM
I'd happily pay a tenner but it says I'm not elegible.

It would be useful if there was some sort of explanation put up as to what the criteria for private membership is.

We can relax the 200 post rule sometimes. Pm an admin about it.

SRHibs
01-02-2020, 01:02 PM
We could afford more bandwidth.

As it is, the site copes absolutely fine the vast majority of the time, so spending more is only really justified for a few hours out of the year.

If more people paid, we'd just upgrade.

Honestly, I think this is such backwards logic. The only times the site fails is when people want to get online to discuss things of importance. The most important time for the site to be accessible is surely during these periods.

one day maybe...
01-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Is PayPal the only option to make the £10 payment. I don’t want to set up a paypal account

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 01:11 PM
For anyone that wants to become a pm here’s the link - https://www.hibs.net/payments.php

Should be advertised on the day of a derby or transfer window day 😁😁

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Is PayPal the only option to make the £10 payment. I don’t want to set up a paypal account

Bank transfer also.

Brummie_Hibs
01-02-2020, 01:18 PM
I got this when I clicked on the link on my phone:

"hibs.net Messageboard does not have any paid subscriptions available to which you can subscribe."

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Maybe.

Loyalty points?

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Should be advertised on the day of a derby or transfer window day 😁😁

It’s there every day.

People can also pm an admin about becoming a private member.

The 90+2
01-02-2020, 01:19 PM
It’s there every day.

People can also pm an admin about becoming a private member.

Yeah I know, some people don’t realise though.

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 01:20 PM
I got this when I clicked on the link on my phone:

"hibs.net Messageboard does not have any paid subscriptions available to which you can subscribe."

Can’t see your post count but if it’s under 200 that’ll be why.

Pm one of us admins and we can look into it

iwasthere1972
01-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Yes I was locked out. 21,000 posts as well. Disgusting. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
01-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Honestly, I think this is such backwards logic. The only times the site fails is when people want to get online to discuss things of importance. The most important time for the site to be accessible is surely during these periods.

It's not backward logic.

It costs, give or take a few pounds, £4000 a year to keep the site online. In days gone by people paid large chunks of that out their own pockets before a more pragmatic approach was taken and we introduced the PM package. PM subscriptions just about cover that. We have looked at upgrading servers but there is a significant cost increase and the site software would require time consuming work as well. 95% of the time the current package works, on the rare occasion it doesn't we maintain access for those who pay to use the site and keep it online. It's one of the small perks of paying your tenner.

If people would rather we cut our donations to Hibs by 20-25% for the sake of 3 or 4 days a year then we'd be happy to discuss the idea with them. It doesn't really make sense to me though.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2020, 01:27 PM

How much would you be prepared to pay to make that happen?

SRHibs
01-02-2020, 02:12 PM
How much would you be prepared to pay to make that happen?

I wouldn't be averse to an increase in PM costs to support it, or contributing to a GoFundMe to help cover costs.

Many of us aren't from Edinburgh, and rely on Hibs net for updates and information when we can't make the games. A large portion of the downtime is during the games, which doesn't get remedied because the admins are at said game.

This is by far the biggest Hibs website, and I don't think it's a huge ask to expect it to be available reliably. Maybe that's entitled, I don't know.

Joe6-2
01-02-2020, 02:15 PM

I had the same msg, sure I’ve posted more than 200, maybe not
Who are admins? Use my phone and info seems less

Brummie_Hibs
01-02-2020, 02:33 PM

My post count is, after this post, 1,232.

Jones28
01-02-2020, 02:42 PM

I think everyone else has made the point. So yeah, as you say, pay attention.

Beefster
01-02-2020, 03:01 PM
The entitlement is strong in this thread.

If you’ve used this site for free for years but still want to be treated like you’re special, cough up the equivalent of ~2 pints a year. Or just suck it up and enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling of other folk paying for your access instead.

hibee_girl
01-02-2020, 08:03 PM
I had the same msg, sure I’ve posted more than 200, maybe not
Who are admins? Use my phone and info seems less

My post count is, after this post, 1,232.

I’ve sent you both pm’s about this.

matty_f
01-02-2020, 09:27 PM

It's not at all. Why pay over the odds for something that is only needed for a few hours a year.

If we had more PM's we'd cover that cost, but as it is we take the hit at the busiest time and keep the site open for those that pay to use it.

matty_f
01-02-2020, 09:29 PM
Bit harsh. Isn't it run and maintained on a voluntary basis?

Completely voluntary, none of the admins take any payment from the site to keep it running, and any left over cash is given to Hibs.

hibby6270
01-02-2020, 09:40 PM
Maybe.

Loyalty points would be taken into account. :greengrin:wink::rotflmao: