PDA

View Full Version : How would you assess the transfer window?

theonlywayisup
01-02-2020, 06:14 AM
Well thank goodness that's the transfer window closed!

How would you rate it?

Confirmed in (2):

Adam Bogdan, six month contract (goalkeeper, Liverpool)
Paul McGinn, one and a half year contract (defender, St Mirren)

Confirmed in on loan (3):
Greg Docherty, six month loan (midfielder, Rangers)
Marc McNulty, six month loan (striker, Reading)
Stephane Omeonga, six month loan (midfielder, Genoa)

Confirmed returned from loan (3):
Tommy Block (Queen's Park)
Josh Campbell (Arbroath)
Jamie Gullan (Raith Rovers)

Confirmed out (4):

Chris Maxwell (Preston) - loan cancelled
Glenn Middleton (Rangers) - loan cancelled
Oli Shaw (Ross County)
Josh Vela (Shrewsbury)

Confirmed out on loan (5):

Florian Kamberi (Rangers)
Innes Murray (Airdrie)
Kosovar Sadiki (Finn Harps)
Ryan Shanley (Forfar)
Ben Stirling (Alloa)

theonlywayisup
01-02-2020, 06:21 AM
Me, I'm probably in the middle ground.

If we had got in Nisbet and/or a defensive midfielder, I would have said good.

H18 SFR
01-02-2020, 06:22 AM
I would have liked a defensive midfielder.

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2020, 06:36 AM
Still gutted we never got Kevin Nisbet but for once I can honestly say that the club really tried to get this over the line and showed real ambition

It is not the clubs fault that Dunfermline were being greedy bassas and totally unreasonable with their demands but I suppose you cannae blame them

Happy with Omeonga Bogdan and McGinn

A bit meh over McNulty and slightly concerned that Docherty has not played regular first team football

Apart from that well done HIBS

number9dream
01-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Omeonga & Bogdan are good signings.
MGinn is probably a step down from Naismith but the injury forced our hand.
McNulty for Kamberi could work out positively but where are we in the summer? Not sure Kamberi’s sell on value will increase and McNulty still has a lucrative contract at Reading.
Not sure about Docherty. A decent player but again do we have any chance of keeping him on? And do we risk alienating a guy like Hallberg, who is our player for another few years or stifling a guy like Murray?
I guess we needed an extra body in midfield and it’s up to the others to prove they are worth a place with hard work and good performances.

lyonhibs
01-02-2020, 07:02 AM
In the absence of a "6/10 decent" option, I'll say good but not very good. Not a fan of 6 month loans in general as they leave us with a(mother) rebuild in summer but I appreciate the January window is short term loan season for almost every team (Arsenal and Man U for starters)

lyonhibs
01-02-2020, 07:04 AM
Still gutted we never got Kevin Nisbet but for once I can honestly say that the club really tried to get this over the line and showed real ambition

It is not the clubs fault that Dunfermline were being greedy bassas and totally unreasonable with their demands but I suppose you cannae blame them

Happy with Omeonga Bogdan and McGinn

A bit meh over McNulty and slightly concerned that Docherty has not played regular first team football

Apart from that well done HIBS

Docherty was a regular at Hamilton Academicals and played 40+ games last season at Shrewsbury? :confused:

NC1875
01-02-2020, 07:05 AM
Omeonga & Bogdan are good signings.
MGinn is probably a step down from Naismith but the injury forced our hand.
McNulty for Kamberi could work out positively but where are we in the summer? Not sure Kamberi’s sell on value will increase and McNulty still has a lucrative contract at Reading.
Not sure about Docherty. A decent player but again do we have any chance of keeping him on? And do we risk alienating a guy like Hallberg, who is our player for another few years or stifling a guy like Murray?
I guess we needed an extra body in midfield and it’s up to the others to prove they are worth a place with hard work and good performances.

Sure McNultys Reading contract is up in the summer so you’d like to think we’ll be doing what we can to get him to sign a pre contract.

makaveli1875
01-02-2020, 07:15 AM
Sure McNultys Reading contract is up in the summer so you’d like to think we’ll be doing what we can to get him to sign a pre contract.

His contract runs until July 2022

Jonny1875
01-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Overall I think it has been a good window and shows what type of business we want to do in the summer. It feels like I say this every year but I really do feel we need a major overhaul this summer. It's not right we always have a better January window than summer.

we are hibs
01-02-2020, 07:59 AM
2 decent goalies.
Defence meh.
Midfield should be sorted but we will wait and see
Still a striker short.

Brightside
01-02-2020, 08:00 AM
The best window ever.

mjhibby
01-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Overall I think it has been a good window and shows what type of business we want to do in the summer. It feels like I say this every year but I really do feel we need a major overhaul this summer. It's not right we always have a better January window than summer.

Hence why we got loans. I'm sure the summer window will see more long term deals.

hibbysam
01-02-2020, 08:03 AM
2 decent goalies.
Defence meh.
Midfield should be sorted but we will wait and see
Still a striker short.

We have 3 strikers, plus Boyle. Not sure how we are 1 short.

Curried
01-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Hibs making a concerted drive for a European place here.....not.

Peevemor
01-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Hibs making a concerted drive for a European place here.....not.So we reportedly made an offer of £350-400k for a player but that's not enough effort for you? OK then. [emoji848]

JammyDoidger
01-02-2020, 09:23 AM
I'm still concerened about the lack of balance in the squad. Kamberi was essentially a wide player for us, so we are one down in that position. I have no clue what jack ross is going to do but it looks to accomodate all these centre midfielders we are going to need to go a diamond. 3-5-2 is a possibility but any more injury's leaves us a bit short at cb and would need to play paul mcginn or whittaker there. 4-3-3 means sacrificing doidge or Mcnulty. Flat 4-4-2 and your leaving good centre midfielders on the bench. Any formation that includes 2 up top leaves us with only gullan as an extra option. Not good enough for me. The loans also mean we need to go through all this again in summer. We deserve better imo.

Eyrie
01-02-2020, 09:51 AM
It's been a good January.

Upgrades are replacing Maxwell with Bogdan, Vela with Omeonga/Docherty, Kamberi with McNulty.

No worse off with McGinn in for Naismith and Gullan for Shaw.

Showed ambition with the bids for Nisbet.

Saint Hibee
01-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Underwhelmed. I don’t really think we’re stronger. Hopefully I’m proved wrong.

Speedy
01-02-2020, 09:59 AM
6/10. More positive than not but mostly an element of wait and see.

Happy with Omeonga

Not sure about McNulty/Kamberi

Won't miss any of the other leavers

Will see how it plays out with McGinn/Docherty. Can't say I've seen enough of them to comment either way

Smartie
01-02-2020, 10:10 AM
4/10.

No issue with the quality of the players who have come in. Delighted we’ve held onto Boyle.

The squad was hopelessly imbalanced, it remains badly unbalanced and it is hard to imagine a best team or an intended style of play.

As a result we’ll continue to be horribly inconsistent. We’re comfortably better than the poorer teams in the league and we’re in no danger of relegation but we’re miles behind the better teams. We’ll continue to struggle against the OF and at difficult grounds like Livingston.

I like that we’ve brought in some good loan players but I see no prospect of keeping them permanently and there is no core to a team to build on or youngsters coming through.

Hibs seem content to coast right now, happily drifting about between 5th and 8th. We may or may not continue to pitch up in record numbers, if numbers drop I’m not sure the new regime will be savvy enough to work out what to do so there may be trouble ahead.

A couple of seasons ago we were level pegging with Rangers and Aberdeen in a footballing sense. It was inevitable that Rangers would pull away at some point, and Aberdeen had a poorish start to this season. Permanent signings like McGeouch suggest they mean business and I only see them continuing to pull away from us.

Basically, I’m happy enough with the sticking plasters but Hibs are a club going nowhere right now, and we’ve wasted the good work done pre and immediately post cup win.

Ozyhibby
01-02-2020, 10:14 AM
I think our midfield is stronger than December but our defence is weaker and our forward line is possibly weaker as well.
I think the window has been a bit of a sticking plaster. The quality of the three loanees is decent in my opinion but there is no sign of any long term plan in the business we have done in January.
In fact we have no idea of any long term plan at Easter road at all just now.
Overall, it’s been an average window. The defence looks as shaky today as it did in December and it’s been left that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curried
01-02-2020, 10:27 AM
So we reportedly made an offer of £350-400k for a player but that's not enough effort for you? OK then. [emoji848]
You can make outrageous offers all you want throughout the transfer window, but unless we have a player on the park at the end of it its all for nought. So yes, it not enough effort for me.

overdrive
01-02-2020, 10:33 AM
We needed an out and out defensive midfielder and an extra striker over and above what we had. We got neither, so I’m actually a bit disappointed.

Ozyhibby
01-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Ignoring the defence is looking a bit stupid right now.[emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Percy Vere
01-02-2020, 04:49 PM
Underwhelmed. I don’t really think we’re stronger. Hopefully I’m proved wrong.

We are def stronger
I think this is a good winter transfer window
We've got better strength in depth
More energy and pace to midfield
A better striker than Kamberi and one who wants to be here
The defence will need looked at in summer but if youd offered me this at the start of January I'd have bitten your hand off

ancient hibee
01-02-2020, 06:29 PM
The failure to sign a defensive midfielder who can tackle is just staggering in my opinion.As St Mirren showed all the teams in the league know how weak and easily beaten to the ball we are particularly between the penalty area and halfway.

Smartie
01-02-2020, 06:34 PM
The failure to sign a defensive midfielder who can tackle is just staggering in my opinion.As St Mirren showed all the teams in the league know how weak and easily beaten to the ball we are particularly between the penalty area and halfway.

They were destroying us in that area during the first half.

As expected, really.