PDA

View Full Version : Our last day in the european economic community

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 08:40 PM
Tomorrow Friday 31st January 2020 is our last day in the European Union

The first day of UK being in the European Economic Community was 1st January 1973

It marked an important game in the history of Hibernian Football Club

The greatest game in history

Hearts 0 v 7 Hibernian

Hibs had to win by five clear goals to go top of the old Scottish First Division

A crowd of 36000 crammed into Tynecastle that afternoon

I still remember the queues to get into the ground indeed many did not get in until HIBS were already 0-2 up

Many others standing outside on hearing what was happening inside simply turned around and went home to enjoy their steak pie and hide with their families

Did anyone on here attend that great victory 47 years ago and if so do you have any memories to share with your fellow Hibees?

Oh! Please remember to turn your data roaming off if going to the European Union :greengrin

https://youtu.be/ppM_MbCh4cA

DarlingtonHibee
30-01-2020, 08:43 PM
Always remember that day, was 12 years old and listened to the radio .....

eastterrace
30-01-2020, 08:43 PM
Tomorrow Friday 31st January 2020 is our last day in the European Economic Community

The first day of UK being in the European Economic Community was 1st January 1973

Hearts 0 v 7 Hibernian

Hibs had to win by five clear goals to go top of the old Scottish First Division

I still remember the queues to get into the ground indeed many did not get in until HIBS were already 0-2 up

Many others standing outside on hearing what was happening inside simply turned around and went home to enjoy their steak pie and hide with their families

Did anyone on here attend that great victory 47 years ago and if so do you have any memories to share with your fellow Hibees?

Oh! Please remember to turn your data roaming off if going to the European Union :greengrin yes was at the game at the school end. Had a massive hangover and wasn’t going to go to the game but my mates talked me around so jumped on the number one bus still feeling terrible but not as terrible I would have been had I missed this game, all thanks to my pals.

Andy74
30-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Tomorrow Friday 31st January 2020 is our last day in the European Economic Community

Hearts 0 v 7 Hibernian

Oh! Please remember to turn your data roaming off if going to the European Union :greengrin

I think our last day in the EEC was about 1993!

Wouldn't worry about roaming charges. There's a year until these types of rules fall away and so far phone companies say they'd have no plans to change their charging regardless. :wink:

greenpaper55
30-01-2020, 08:49 PM
I was in the school end, Hearts could have been two up before we scored ! 36,000 ? if all the fans who said they were there is true the crowd must have been in six figures !!

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 08:50 PM

Wouldn't worry about roaming charges. There's a year until these types of rules fall away and so far phone companies say they'd have no plans to change their charging regardless. :wink:
:thumbsup:

SquashedFrogg
30-01-2020, 08:56 PM

Hearts 0 v 7 Hibernian

We left EEC years ago.

Good news is our hospitals get £350m pw from Saturday. NHS rolling it now.

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 08:56 PM
I was in the school end, Hearts could have been two up before we scored ! 36,000 ? if all the fans who said they were there is true the crowd must have been in six figures !!

Mick O'Rourke
30-01-2020, 08:59 PM

That is correct.
Years later, a Hearts fan chatting to Jimmy O'Rourke in a pub mentioned that
He said to Jimmy

"Hearts could have been two up in the first five minutes"

Jimmy replied
"well,the final score would have been 7-2 then !"

I was in the school end as well

HappyAsHellas
30-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Only remember bits and piece's of the day and game itself. I do remember getting back to my Gran's house for a New Year party as quick as I could after the game as that side of the family were mainly Hearts fans and seemed quite upset about a 14 year old Hibby taunting them mercilessly for the duration.

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 09:00 PM
We left EEC years ago.

I know

EEC used for dramatic effect

EU used for phones but apparently still under review :greengrin

Great news for the NHS though

PatHead
30-01-2020, 09:03 PM
I was 9 at the time.

My family were all at my grandparents and my grandad was terminally ill. I was the only brother allowed to sit with him listening to the game. (My brothers are all Arabs). Although my grandad was an Arab I vividly remember the joy he got from seeing me running round the room every time we scored. Looking back he was really weak and very ill, he died 3 days later.

What a great last memory to have of him.

HiBremian
30-01-2020, 09:05 PM
In the enclosure somewhere behind Shades when he produced the throw-in assist for our first goal. Been on an all-nighter, was just recovering as we got to Tiny, but by half time was pished again. Seem to remember trying for another all-nighter after the game but gave up sometime around midnight.

Can’t imagine leaving the EU will be anything as good as joining. But we have got a game the next day, so maybe a wee repeat? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacomo
30-01-2020, 09:07 PM

Given that phone companies were forced to drop their roaming charges or be fined by the EU, I wouldn’t trust them on that.

ancient hibee
30-01-2020, 09:08 PM
Was in the enclosure right behind Erich hurling the ball into the area for Jimmy to put in.When I left passed a Hearts pal with his wife standing in shock.A couple of days later he couldn’t remember seeing me.Think Hearts had only lost 4 goals at home up until then.Have a number of Hibs supporting pals who have convinced themselves that they were there when they weren’t.One tells me that he was there with me.I had to go on my own as none were going.All very strange.

May21/05/16
30-01-2020, 09:08 PM
I was there with my dad and his friends as a 13 year old here my thoughts we walked to crewe toll roundabout to flag a taxi to sit in the park opposite the gorgie road end where much drink was had by the group except me and other kids it was friendly banter with hearts fans in the park then my old man filled his hip flask with scotch then watched that glorious game the first half was brilliant then the second half we moved to the school end and my best memory was seeing my dad offering hearts some scotch but
None was taken the second half was a bit of a bore because we only scored two it should been 10 as a 13 year old I thought I would be like that all the time
Turnbull's tornadoes team should have won more than they did

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
30-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Was there as well, don't remember much about the EEC from the time but I can still see Shades crunching into that tackle and charging forward to set another one up.

Still no idea why we stopped at 7.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Kato
30-01-2020, 09:16 PM
Always remember that day, was 12 years old and listened to the radio .....Ditto. Had just turned 12 and "wizny allowed to go".

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

CentreLine
30-01-2020, 09:29 PM
My 14th birthday and was in the enclosure, right beside the tunnel. When the players were leaving the field after their pre-match warm-up I yelled something like "give us six" to my favourite player of the time, Jimmy O'Rourke. He had the decency to laugh it off. I tried to get his attention again as they left the field, five up at half time. "You shouldn't have laughed" says me. Then persuaded myself he was just "in the zone" as he passed on by without even a grin. Still my hero but only another two in the second half was a bit disappointing :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
30-01-2020, 09:32 PM
Don't want the thread to get political but what's the script with the fat tory *******'s deal (Not talking about mercer here). We likely to encounter any potential problems signing EU players etc?

JeMeSouviens
30-01-2020, 09:33 PM
How did the ticketing work in those days? Could you just go in any terracing turnstile right round the ground?

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Was there as well, don't remember much about the EEC from the time but I can still see Shades crunching into that tackle and charging forward to set another one up.

Still no idea why we stopped at 7.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Yip!

That tackle rattled the Hearts players bones like a Xylophone and the momentum carried the ball through to Arthur who picked out Alan Gordon who Head flicked the ball onto the far away post rolled along the line hit the near side post and trickled over the line.

No idea why we stopped either?

Eddie Turnbull apparently said to them at half time “ Don’t take your foot off the gas boys they would do the same to you “

JeMeSouviens
30-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Don't want the thread to get political but what's the script with the fat tory *******'s deal (Not talking about mercer here). We likely to encounter any potential problems signing EU players etc?

That doesn’t change until end of this year as we’ll be in a transition. After that I assume it’ll be work permits for EU players the same as non-EU at the moment.

ancient hibee
30-01-2020, 09:36 PM
How did the ticketing work in those days? Could you just go in any terracing turnstile right round the ground?
Yes.Also in those days with far fewer seasons in the stands it was quite normal for away supporters at big games to go into the main stand.

H18S NX
30-01-2020, 09:41 PM
I went with a m8 from Clerrie, i walked and sang all the way back to Fort place in Leith where i stayed as the buses were hardly running that day,Happy days indeed.

monktonharp
30-01-2020, 09:41 PM
We left EEC years ago.

Good news is our hospitals get £350m pw from Saturday. NHS rolling it now.yeah, thank goodness got that one right. I cannae wait.

Andy74
30-01-2020, 09:51 PM
I work in the EU so looking forward to being turned away Monday morning!

The Pointer
30-01-2020, 09:58 PM
I had just turned 16 and walked down from, I think, Buckstone with a monstrous hangover (!) and stood in the shed to the left of the half-way line, below the cameras. Met up with my mates from Clerrie (whom I haven't seen for years) and was in in time to see all the goals. It was a right old rammy in there with all the surges going on and the noise was deafening from both sides.

Only thing I remember apart from the goals was knocking a copper's hat off when one of the goals went in (the fifth?) and apologising, only to be told, "Dinnae worry son, I'm a Hibee tae!"

greenlex
30-01-2020, 09:58 PM
The EU gave us a warm heartfelt final days send of in the European Chamber. Those ******** Brexit party MEPs embarrassed us all with their Union Jack waving GIRFUY reply as they walked out. Absolute bell ends.

SquashedFrogg
30-01-2020, 10:02 PM
yeah, thank goodness got that one right. I cannae wait.

It was on a bus. Must be true.

CLASS OF 72 -73
30-01-2020, 10:02 PM
Never forget that day, My big brother (13) and I (11) were in the Wheatfield stand. Near the end of the game we needed to catch I think a 32 to our Granny's house in Granton. So we made our way to the Gorgie road end. In those days the fans were spread over so we thought we would be fine, plus most jambos would have buggered off after Cropley's goal but took the precaution to wrap our scarfs around our waists under our coats. As we reached the open exit with more Jambos than we expected hanging around. A couple of older lads said to us dinnae worry lads we'll batter them next time. Our reaction was to lift our tops up flashing the green and white and gave them verbal wee laddies should'nt but do.... and then ran like hell for the bus..:greengrin

Hibs4185
30-01-2020, 10:11 PM
I work in the EU so looking forward to being turned away Monday morning!

I have a house in France and not been worried at all, but now it’s looking like a no deal after the transition period, I’m starting to worry

WoreTheGreen
30-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Was there with my dad and my brother probably to young appreciate history in the making

offshorehibby
30-01-2020, 10:13 PM
I'm in Fuerteventura at the moment and I'm hoping they force me to stay longer 😁😂

SquashedFrogg
30-01-2020, 10:14 PM
I'm in Fuerteventura at the moment and I'm hoping they force me to stay longer 😁😂

Jammy bassa!

Sir David Gray
30-01-2020, 10:27 PM

It will all depend on the deal that's agreed between the UK and the EU, which is due to be in place by the end of this year, with regards to the freedom of movement for workers.

If EU citizens are treated like non-EU citizens going forward then they will need to apply for a work permit to work in the UK and the Home Office has certain criteria that foreign football players must meet to be eligible for a work permit, including playing a certain number of games for their country.

It is possible that an agreement could be reached to allow special arrangements between the UK and the EU so that the requirements placed on non-EU citizens do not apply to those in the EU but that's far from certain.

Nothing will change until January 1st 2021 at the earliest though, as we enter the transition period from 11pm tomorrow. During that period, the UK ceases to be an EU member state but still continues to follow all the rules and regulations of the EU.

Forza Fred
30-01-2020, 10:58 PM
Remember it well. Or most of it well.
The day commenced with the traditional New Year keg at Ronnie Ferguson’s place in Lochend, before we jumped, well bevied on a 34 bus at Kemp’s Corner, for the ‘hud it in we’re nearly there’ trip to Gorgie.

We were inside for the start, and a gang of us from the Carlton branch...some no longer with us..but Messrs Ferguson,Williamson, Dougan, Rafferty, Stewart and Smith, were all in attendance and positioned at the school end.

Remember we agreed that every time Hibs scored we would have a swig from each of our ‘New Year Bottles’ so as you can imagine, with the score at 5-0 at half time we were very merry.

Remember the ball being kicked near us in the second half,Ronnie Ferguson grabbing it and uttering ‘ma ba’ as you do on the football park, and only releasing it when we suggested he’d get lifted if he didn’t throw it back.

After the game it was decided that we would continue new year celebrations at Frank Dougan’s place at Colinton about 7 of us jumped on a bus.

Remember the conductor informing us that it was ‘Hibs supporters upstairs, Hearts supporters downstairs, but could not work out why the bus was pretty empty.

Realised in later years that it was because half the crowd were long gone...

A few celebratory drinks at Frank’s place...we really needed them!.....and presumably it was off home, but at this point my mind had been taken over by aliens and my memory banks erased....

Springbank
30-01-2020, 11:08 PM
I know

EEC used for dramatic effect

EU used for phones but apparently still under review :greengrin

Great news for the NHS though

Thick as **** if you think this

Sorry

But it's TRUE

Welcome to mass unemployment in the backyard ******* UK unless and until the older generation start weakening up to the power of Scotland.

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 11:17 PM

Sorry

But it's TRUE

Welcome to mass unemployment in the backyard ******* UK unless and until the older generation start weakening up to the power of Scotland.

Your point is caller?

hhibs
30-01-2020, 11:18 PM

Caleta ?

Little Havana?

Mines a pint,back on Sunday night!

hhibs
30-01-2020, 11:21 PM
Your point is caller?

I think spelling error, wakening or awakening was likely meant

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 11:22 PM
I think spelling error, wakening or awakening was likely meant

I got that thanks

hibby6270
30-01-2020, 11:43 PM

I was definitely one of your so called “unofficial” non paying attendees.
I was 14 at the time and my old man was plain clothes polis. He was on duty at the game that day and took me along and in through the polis gate. Something he did many timesas well at ER when the polis congregated in the corner between North stand and the covered Albion Road terracing (or the Jungle as many of you know it!!)

Memories of the day are sketchy. 5 goals scored at the other end before half time. The School End expected the same or more second half. Typical Hibs though.:rolleyes:
Backed off to “defend our lead” :wink: and only scored the 2 goals.:greengrin:greengrin

One thing that is vivid in my mind was the huge gaps that emerged in the Wheatfield terracing from half time as the Jambos left en masse to avoid any further embarrassment.

Also, I’m sure mention is made in the tv highlights of joining EEC that day.

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2020, 11:44 PM
Any other HIBS fans out there got any great memories of the greatest game in history on 1st January 1973?

Hearts 0 v 7 HIBS

“ This green machine “ Alistair Alexander

FilipinoHibs
31-01-2020, 02:59 AM
Came up from Hawick with friend and his dad and his mate. Old Austin. On the car radio they announced old firm game off. I said if we win 5-0 we go top. Everybody turned and looked at me as if I was mad!

stalbanshibby
31-01-2020, 06:22 AM
I was in the main stand at Tynie that day. I was a guest of Peter Heatley the Commonwealth Games diving gold medalist because I was friendly with his son Robert who I went to school with (I was one of about 3 Hibs supporters in my year at Watson's - a jambo stronghold - my nickname was Green Nose: a twist on Blue Nose (aka Hun) with the obvious snot connection- very drole. I would have been 14 at the time, and was the only Hibby in the main stand that I know of surrounded as I was by rabid jambos.

I remember Donald Ford missed a chance early on, after that it was just glorious. Cropley, O'Rourke, Blackley, Alan Gordon, Arthur Duncan - the football couldn't have been sweeter - what a team that was. We were pumping Sporting Lisbon 6-1 at Easter Road round about the same time - and I have barely seen such instinctive sweet flowing football played by any team since. It was watching Hibs back then that I fell in love with football and head over heels with Hibs.

Anyway 5-0 at half time. I think by then Mr Heatley had decided I wasn't the sort of boy he wanted his son to hang out with. I'm from Leith/ Portobello - went to Leith Academy primary - so to them I had more than a few rough edges; and they were Balerno/ Morningside - posh Edinburgh - back then if you were from south/ east Edinburgh, you'd scarcely any reason to travel to that side of town. To be fair to them, I think they stopped a few jambos in the stand from giving me a doing - think they put my behaviour down to naivety and youthful exuberance, cos I was jumping up and down and they were getting more and more pissed off. Couldn't contain myself. But he never invited me anywhere again, and my friendship with Robert cooled after that.

One of my best footballing memories, only slightly eclipsed by 5-1 League cup final against Kilmarnock in 2007 where I had a seat near to Charlie Reid and watched the tears flowing down his face when 30K Hibby's sang Sunshine on Leith and of course May 2016.

I love Hibs.

simple
31-01-2020, 06:24 AM
We left EEC years ago.

Do you think the NHS would be interested in buying Hibs 😀

ACLeith
31-01-2020, 06:38 AM
The first New Year after I got married. My parents had a big party at their house and I consumed more than my fair share! Wakened up the next day feeling decidedly rough and was going to give the game a miss. But I decided to see if the fresh air would kill or cure, so met my dad and his friend. The car journey up was not the best but I managed to make it without mishap.

We were in the Gorgie Road end, in plenty time to see the kick off. Didn't get a clear view of their lucky chances at the far end at 0-0.

The best hangover cure invented, I felt refreshed 30 minutes into the game!

One incident on TV I remember, that I have never seen mentioned. Scotsport had a teatime preview programme and by way of advertising our game being shown in the evening Arthur M said "we have a seven-goal thriller from Tynecastle". Seemed a strange thing for him to say, for those watching without knowing the score - that did happen quite easily in those days - the result was set after our 4th.

My father died 3 years later and I have carried his photo with me to our cup finals since. In May 2016, I held it aloft after the final whistle whilst (unsuccessfully) trying to stop the tears from flowing.

Roxyhibee
31-01-2020, 07:14 AM
Some great / poignant stories on here.

I was 14 and went to the game with my dad as always, and an uncle and much older cousin who were both Jambos but who didn’t go to games much. The usual bunch of other Hibby uncles and pals we used to go with in a crowd to the big games must have made their own way there and we didn’t see them at the game.

I must have really got on the Jambos uncle and cousins’ t!ts as those 7 famous goals went in, as I didn’t hold back for any Hibs goal ever, in any game. They were both quiet sensible types and I can only imagine they wanted to boot me onto the park. We were in The Wheatfield, nearly level with the 18 yard line of Kenny Garlands goal, so had a great view of the first 5 goals. What a day - couldn’t wait to get back to Libby High a few days later.!

As one of the many footnotes - a (Jambo) family friend of my mum and dads was a bus driver and was on duty along Gorgie Road that day and had at least 1 of his fellow supporters wanting to run him down - said one stood in front of a packed bus, greetin’ and not moving.. 😂

Onion
31-01-2020, 07:18 AM
Tomorrow Friday 31st January 2020 is our last day in the European Union

Hearts 0 v 7 Hibernian

Was 15 and there with my best pal. A misty, murky day in Gorgie, with fans mixed together in good spirits. Hearts missed an easy chance which shocked Hibs... and the rest is history. Thousands of Hearts fans left at HT and we felt like we owned Tynecastle in the second half. Went back to my pal's house after the game. His mum and dad took an interest in football and Hibs but hadn't followed the match on the radio. We told them the score and then spent ages trying to convince them it wasn't a teenage prank. Highlights were shown around 7.30 that night on TV and we all sat watching with our jaws on the floor. Incredible day.

bigwheel
31-01-2020, 07:23 AM
If every Hibs fan who claims to have been there actually was - there must have been about 50000 of us there ..

I was a young kid - too young to go - or perhaps my old man just wanted to go on the booze with his mates..was at a family friends for New Year’s Day ..old man came back steaming and told me the score . I was already gutted not getting to go - was then a mixture between elated (with the score) and raging (not getting to see it ). [emoji2]

inglisavhibs
31-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Slight exaggeration, wee Parky had a swipe at a ball with his left foot (not his best!)from about 14 yards early on. From where I was in the old enclosure can’t rememember any other real scare.

Seveno
31-01-2020, 08:22 AM
I was there with my brother in the Enclosure. We had been given complimentary tickets from a friend who was a Jambo! Made the day even better.

The only downside was not being able to celebrate in our local as it was closed, being New Year’s Day.

offshorehibby
31-01-2020, 08:24 AM
Caleta ?

Little Havana?

Mines a pint,back on Sunday night!

We'll be in little Havana at some point see if Mark's in.

Hector Mudflap
31-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Way better to not post this sort of garbage. There are plenty Hibs fans who totally disagree with you on the two points you're making and this forum really doesn't benefit from political statements. I own and run a successful business based in Scotland and we sell to both EU and Non EU. The reality is none of us know for sure and we have no choice at the moment. Your fears are not "TRUE" they are an opinion right or wrong. We will have to wait and see. Don't be assuming all who disagree with you are *thick as ****".
It's extremely disrespectful and belittles any credulity your opinion may have.

Sorry

But it's TRUE

Liam978
31-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Sorry

But it's TRUE

Cant fathom the power you mean seeing as we are the most underachieving country in the UK. Thank God ( Pat Stanton) the older generation can se it as it is. However you probably think people like oor Paddy is thick as well.

PatHead
31-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Can we not keep politics out of it and just celebrate what was arguably the greatest result in our history.

Liam978
31-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Can we not keep politics out of it and just celebrate what was arguably the greatest result in our history.

Point taken Pat Sorry, got a bit overcome by emulsion there.

hughio
31-01-2020, 09:36 AM
I was in the main stand at Tynie that day. I was a guest of Peter Heatley the Commonwealth Games diving gold medalist because I was friendly with his son Robert who I went to school with (I was one of about 3 Hibs supporters in my year at Watson's - a jambo stronghold - my nickname was Green Nose: a twist on Blue Nose (aka Hun) with the obvious snot connection- very drole. I would have been 14 at the time, and was the only Hibby in the main stand that I know of surrounded as I was by rabid jambos.

I remember Donald Ford missed a chance early on, after that it was just glorious. Cropley, O'Rourke, Blackley, Alan Gordon, Arthur Duncan - the football couldn't have been sweeter - what a team that was. We were pumping Sporting Lisbon 6-1 at Easter Road round about the same time - and I have barely seen such instinctive sweet flowing football played by any team since. It was watching Hibs back then that I fell in love with football and head over heels with Hibs.

Anyway 5-0 at half time. I think by then Mr Heatley had decided I wasn't the sort of boy he wanted his son to hang out with. I'm from Leith/ Portobello - went to Leith Academy primary - so to them I had more than a few rough edges; and they were Balerno/ Morningside - posh Edinburgh - back then if you were from south/ east Edinburgh, you'd scarcely any reason to travel to that side of town. To be fair to them, I think they stopped a few jambos in the stand from giving me a doing - think they put my behaviour down to naivety and youthful exuberance, cos I was jumping up and down and they were getting more and more pissed off. Couldn't contain myself. But he never invited me anywhere again, and my friendship with Robert cooled after that.

One of my best footballing memories, only slightly eclipsed by 5-1 League cup final against Kilmarnock in 2007 where I had a seat near to Charlie Reid and watched the tears flowing down his face when 30K Hibby's sang Sunshine on Leith and of course May 2016.

I love Hibs.

Lovin your post St Albans.
Paragraph 2 says it all.

Never seen such football anywhere since and addicted to the Hibees ever since.

I was at the Roseburn end, a student, with a jambo mate...such a feeling.I remember half bottles being passed around but not too much more after that.

surreyhibbie
31-01-2020, 10:24 AM
I was there as a 16 year old, met my Jambo mate (RIP Davie King) when we were walking from one end to the other just before the game started.

"Do you think there will be any fighting?" he asked me. Not unusual at the time... "Not until Hibs are 5 nil up" I replied. He laughed and walked away.

Half time, 5 up, my uncle and aunt were stopped at traffic light near Tynie with my Mum and Dad going to a party. My uncle, who knew little about football and cared even less, was laughing at a joke my Dad had cracked, when he saw hordes of Jambos flooding across the road.

Assuming the game was over he wound down the window and, still laughing, asked "what was the score lads ?"

should have mentioned he was driving a green car...

Cue a hail of bottles and cans and insults aimed at said car...luckily the lights changed and they got away safely, still wondering what had happened.

I had great fun at another uncles house party that night, wouldn't tell anyone the score, made them put the highlights on the telly.

Unfortunately, I was the only football fanatic in the family at the time so much of the hilarity was lost on them

great memories though...

snedzuk
31-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Point taken Pat Sorry, got a bit overcome by emulsion there.

Painted into a corner? Anyway - I was in at the Gorgie Road end and my abiding memory is the amount of Hearts fans who left at half time but wished us well in winning the league - sadly not to be.

Joe6-2
31-01-2020, 11:22 AM
yes was at the game at the school end. Had a massive hangover and wasn’t going to go to the game but my mates talked me around so jumped on the number one bus still feeling terrible but not as terrible I would have been had I missed this game, all thanks to my pals.

Well I had that terrible experience, hungover, even offered a lift to the game, and turned it down 😢

H113EE5
31-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Way better to not post this sort of garbage. There are plenty Hibs fans who totally disagree with you on the two points you're making and this forum really doesn't benefit from political statements. I own and run a successful business based in Scotland and we sell to both EU and Non EU. The reality is none of us know for sure and we have no choice at the moment. Your fears are not "TRUE" they are an opinion right or wrong. We will have to wait and see. Don't be assuming all who disagree with you are *thick as ****".

Totally agree.

Iggy Pope
31-01-2020, 11:55 AM
My old fellah promised to take me on Hogmanay but he was a casualty on the 1st after our house party and we couldn’t go.
I watched the updates on Grandstand or whatever and when the classifieds came in it was 0-7 to the Hibs.
I raced through to rejoice with my old man who was still in his bed and a bit grouchy.
“It’ll no be a 7 it will be an upside down 1” he muttered.
Most effective hangover cure when it dawned on him though.

Missed that game but he took me to plenty other big nights, made me the Hibby I am and I forgave him.

Brunswickbill
31-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Well I had that terrible experience, hungover, even offered a lift to the game, and turned it down 😢

Same here. I’d downed the best part of a bottle of whisky on Hogmanay and when my pal came to go to the game I couldn’t get out of bed. He went on his own and came back to our house and ate my new year’s dinner. I was bed bound for two days with the worst hangover ever. Still the best of mates.

The Pointer
31-01-2020, 12:42 PM

Probably the best post I've ever read on .net.

Keith_M
31-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Holy Ground, surely........

emerald green
31-01-2020, 02:29 PM

Sorry

But it's TRUE

How do you know how all of the "older generation" think and vote? At least they were taught how to spell correctly at school.

"Mass unemployment" lol. I voted to remain btw.

emerald green
31-01-2020, 02:30 PM

:agree: Good post Hector.

emerald green
31-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Saw the new year in at the Tron with my mates. Made it to Tynecastle with fresh supplies of a half bottle and a couple of cans of beer. How times have changed! I could hardly believe how easily Hibs cut through them time and again.

Afterwards, like the late Eddie Turnbull, I felt Hibs let them off far too easily in the second half, and we could/should have scored double figures.

I ended up at a party in Leith after the game which is just a hazy memory. Happy days. What a team.

ancient hibee
31-01-2020, 05:01 PM

I love Hibs.

Just for the sake of accuracy Peter Heatly was a born,bred and proud Leither.

Iggy Pope
31-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Just for the sake of accuracy Peter Heatly was a born,bred and proud Leither.

And he went to Leith Academy.

gbhibby
31-01-2020, 07:45 PM
Remember the day. Got on the no 26 bus at clermiston lots of drink being consumed on the bus. More jambos on the bus. My mates wee brother was getting hassle from classmates at school as he was the only hibby in the class. He announced on hogmanay that he was now going to support Hearts. Bad move. Was in the school end. After the second goal the new jambo was sitting down with head in his hands never stood up. His brother gave him pelters for the rest of the game.

At half time there was a mass exodus of yams but the exit gates were not open.

Eddie Turnbull thought he was in heaven when Alan Gordon made it number 7.

leftfield
31-01-2020, 09:43 PM
I was stuck behind the Hibs goal for the first half so did not get the close ups of the 5 goals that would have been ideal. At half time a couple of young jambos climbed into the ground and asked what the score was. When we told them there was a lot of disbelieving swearing but as they got further in and asked more people they became convinced. They then proceeded to climb out of the ground again and this kind of summed up the day for me.

stalbanshibby
01-02-2020, 01:30 AM
And he went to Leith Academy.

So he did!! Well I never knew that. I only met him the once. At the time, they lived in either Currie or Balerno. Robert was a Hearts supporter IIRC. I do seem to remember Mr Heatley being very protective at the game, and he had everyone's respect, and I was pissing off quite a few Hearts supporters, but was mostly unaware - caught up as I was in the game. He was a complete gentleman - even to invite me along in the first place, and I was probably behaving like a total idiot. But then how often does a game like that happen?

Roxyhibee
01-02-2020, 08:27 AM
I was stuck behind the Hibs goal for the first half so did not get the close ups of the 5 goals that would have been ideal. At half time a couple of young jambos climbed into the ground and asked what the score was. When we told them there was a lot of disbelieving swearing but as they got further in and asked more people they became convinced. They then proceeded to climb out of the ground again and this kind of summed up the day for me.

Haha. Loving all the stories on here but it’s these exclusive little snippets that bring the whole day back.

MurrayfieldHibs
01-02-2020, 08:51 AM
As a 9 year old boy living in Hong Kong I didn't even know the super Hibees existed on Jan 1st 1973.

We moved to Yorkshire in 1973 then to Musselburgh in 1975. Musselburgh was very, very different to Hong Kong:agree:.

Ended up in a class full of Hibees and the rest was history...:flag: