PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

Nitten
29-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Showed class throughout the 2 cup games. I cannot understand the level of negativity he and other players are subjected to. It’s like some fans want players to fail. Clearly he is comfortable in the central midfield role and brings class and intelligence to the team. No doubt he could have finished his chances better last night but without doubt the best Hibs player over the 2 legs.
He provides back up to Omeonga and is capable of influencing the team through the second half of the season.
intersting to hear how highly Joe Newell speaks of him on and off the park. Well done Whitt’s and keep up the good work.

.Sean.
29-01-2020, 10:43 AM
On last nights showing he deserves a one year extension.

supermcginn
29-01-2020, 10:56 AM
He was absolutely different class last night, a joy to watch.

jax67
29-01-2020, 11:06 AM
Played really well over the two legs, long may it continue.
Well played Whitt.

29-01-2020, 11:10 AM
Showed class throughout the 2 cup games. I cannot understand the level of negativity he and other players are subjected to. It’s like some fans want players to fail. Clearly he is comfortable in the central midfield role and brings class and intelligence to the team. No doubt he could have finished his chances better last night but without doubt the best Hibs player over the 2 legs.
He provides back up to Omeonga and is capable of influencing the team through the second half of the season.
intersting to hear how highly Joe Newell speaks of him on and off the park. Well done Whitt’s and keep up the good work.

Some of the excessive negativity towards Whittaker may be down to him leaving us last time to join Rangers.

Shrekko
29-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Some of the excessive negativity towards Whittaker may be down to him leaving us last time to join Rangers.

Most likely but unwarranted- handled the transfer with class.

My season started with someone behind me at Stirling launching a tirade of abuse at him 5 seconds into the game before he’d touched the ball and there was a Rangers reference.

He was also booed after missing a chance in another League Cup tie at ER. Utterly shameful way to treat a cup winning player who also made us £2 million and had been a model pro.

Golden Bear
29-01-2020, 11:20 AM

Possibly, but there again if you go thru the entire squad I bet there's not a player who has not been subjected to excessive negativity at one time or other.

Its the Hibs net way unfortunately but it pales into insignificance when compared with some of the Facebook pages.

The Harp
29-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Great display from him last night and almost made it on to the score sheet.
Hope he maintains that level of performance for the rest of the season.

calumhibee1
29-01-2020, 11:23 AM
He was excellent in both legs. That type of game is made for him as it’s less of a physical battle. The two midfields were very similar in that they want to pass through teams.

Northernhibee
29-01-2020, 11:23 AM

Yep, the players clearly look up to him too.

Onion
29-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Great performance by Whitty, again, but IMO he's not worth another deal. He was up against a poor Championship level midfield (the area DUFC need to strengthen more than any) and struggles when playing stronger, quicker, more energetic Prem players.

we are hibs
29-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Thankfully Hibs dont hand out contracts based on the odd game.

Brightside
29-01-2020, 11:29 AM
He had a great game last night. But we really shouldn't be giving contract extensions out to players his age. Unless its a pay as you play contract.

matty_f
29-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Whittaker has been a good signing, provided more than adequate cover whenever he's been called upon and is a good influence at the club. I'm always amazed at the stick he gets, although to be fair to the support, I've not heard any for a while now.

He was terrific last night, shame he couldn't cap the performance with a goal, but even then he set the tone for the team. A class act.

wookie70
29-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Not surprised about last night. He was a good signing providing cover for a few positions and is a brilliant role model, classy and intelligent player and a very nice guy. He has been MOTM a good few times and although he struggles against pace out wide he gives us so much when he has the ball. Not sure he warrants another deal on the basis of a couple of games but he has played plenty of good games in this spell without as much credit as some of the darlings of the crowd get. See how he is at the end of the season and make a decision then. If he is free from injury then he may well have a year or two left.

Northernhibee
29-01-2020, 11:33 AM

When called upon this season he’s been very good.

Smartie
29-01-2020, 11:34 AM
I thought he looked fitter, quicker and more mobile than he has done during his second spell - you’d expect the opposite to be happening at his age.

For his second chance there was no stopping him as he drove forward with the ball after winning it. A “finished” player would have stopped and looked to move the ball on.

I was really impressed by him last night. He linked up well with Newell and the pair of them had a good bit of dig about them.

Brightside
29-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Whittaker has been a good signing, provided more than adequate cover whenever he's been called upon and is a good influence at the club. I'm always amazed at the stick he gets, although to be fair to the support, I've not heard any for a while now.

He was terrific last night, shame he couldn't cap the performance with a goal, but even then he set the tone for the team. A class act.

My only concern is number of games played. Hes not a good signing if he doesnt play the majority of games.

Smartie
29-01-2020, 11:36 AM
My only concern is number of games played. Hes not a good signing if he doesnt play the majority of games.

It depends on how much we’re paying him and whether he’s a positive or negative influence when he’s not playing.

we are hibs
29-01-2020, 12:06 PM
When called upon this season he’s been very good.

He wasnt at motherwell in August. He played well at centre back v celtic and last night. I didnt think he was as good as made out at Tannadice. I have no problem with him making fleeting appearances between now and May but giving him a new contract makes no sense.

jeffers
29-01-2020, 12:10 PM
He was excellent last night and thoroughly deserved his MoM award. In saying that I'm not sure I'd gamble on giving him another deal, at his age you just don't know if his next season will be the one he stops being able to perform at this level.

.Sean.
29-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Thankfully it’s no been his only decent showing when called upon then eh. Been good whenever he’s played this season

we are hibs
29-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Thankfully it’s no been his only decent showing when called upon then eh. Been good whenever he’s played this season

But you're the one who said he was worth a new 1 year deal on last nights performance.

Jonnyboy
29-01-2020, 01:21 PM
I thought he looked fitter, quicker and more mobile than he has done during his second spell - you’d expect the opposite to be happening at his age.

For his second chance there was no stopping him as he drove forward with the ball after winning it. A “finished” player would have stopped and looked to move the ball on.

I was really impressed by him last night. He linked up well with Newell and the pair of them had a good bit of dig about them.

Re your quicker and fitter point it was interesting to hear Joe Newell say in his post match interview that Whitaker inspires on the training pitch and on the park. He obviously gives it all and earns the respect of team mates.

brog
29-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Re your quicker and fitter point it was interesting to hear Joe Newell say in his post match interview that Whitaker inspires on the training pitch and on the park. He obviously gives it all and earns the respect of team mates.

Exactly, & he's obviously impressed JR on the training pitch also. FWIW I don't think he's had a bad game this season. IIRC he played both fullback positions in the 1st league game vs St M & was many pundits, MOTM. Won MOTM as a stop gap centre back versus Celtc & now wins MOTM as a midfield player. Thats versatility & quality.

hibbysam
29-01-2020, 01:47 PM
The fact he’s on a very low wage, is a massive influence, not only on our younger players, but our experienced ones also, can play in 3/4 positions, and clearly is going to go into our coaching setup when done, id be massively surprised if he doesn’t get a new player/coach deal.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Last week he was getting ripped for letting the Dundee United boy turn him with ease. Get rid asap was the call.

Today he's a hero and worth a new contract.

Hibs.net. The bipolar website.

The 90+2
29-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Last week he was getting ripped for letting the Dundee United boy turn him with ease. Get rid asap was the call.

Today he's a hero and worth a new contract.

Hibs.net. The bipolar website.

Last week he had a good game until he tired, with that game under his belt he seemed to have a lot more energy last night and had a lot of confidence on the ball.

Captain Trips
29-01-2020, 02:18 PM

Read post wrong apologies

Hibbyradge
29-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Aye of course it was that and not the wages etc it was the "fans" again.

Why would the wages cause negativity towards him? :confused:

Captain Trips
29-01-2020, 02:21 PM
Over the piece he has been average at best IMO yes good last night but this for me is exception rather than rule.

Captain Trips
29-01-2020, 02:24 PM
Why would the wages cause negativity towards him? :confused:

I didnt say it did. 007 said negativity from fans is a reason he went to Rangers I said sarcastically yes it was that and not the wages on offer at Rangers.

lyonhibs
29-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Keep him the **** away from the wide areas when defending and his experience and class on the ball is a great asset in the DM role. I wouldn't be averse to him staying 1 more year as long as he's never put in a full back position again.

craigiehibs
29-01-2020, 02:28 PM
Keep him the **** away from the wide areas when defending and his experience and class on the ball is a great asset in the DM role. I wouldn't be averse to him staying 1 more year as long as he's never put in a full back position again.

he never wanted to play full back. when he signed he said cb or dm...he knew and still does where his strenghts lie

Hibbyradge
29-01-2020, 02:28 PM
I didnt say it did. 007 said negativity from fans is a reason he went to Rangers I said sarcastically yes it was that and not the wages on offer at Rangers.

I see. You misread 007s post, in that case.

Captain Trips
29-01-2020, 02:31 PM
I see. You misread 007s post, in that case.

Yeah your right, I do not have any negativity based on him joining Rangers I base my opinion on watching him play

Hibbyradge
29-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Yeah your right, I do not have any negativity based on him joining Rangers I base my opinion on watching him play

Me too! :aok:

hibby6270
29-01-2020, 02:54 PM
What I can’t understand is the present day Whittaker is as mobile, ‘pacey’ and effective in defensive midfield than the much lauded on here - Marvin Bartley and/or Mark Milligan - players many of you cry out by saying they should never have been released.

In many respects that’s fair comment. However, what many of you don’t take into account is what a classy player Whitty was in his first spell and that class is still evident this time round. What shades it for me is his attacking qualities. He’s never afraid to venture forward. Something that both a Marv and Mark got nose bleeds over if they ventured further than 5-10 yards from the centre circle.

Whitty may not be to everyone’s taste, I get that, but if I was to choose between any of the 3 players I’ve mentioned to play in that position, Whitty would win hands down as the more complete player.

Sorry if anyone disagrees. Just my opinion.

MWHIBBIES
29-01-2020, 03:00 PM
What I can’t understand is the present day Whittaker is as mobile, ‘pacey’ and effective in defensive midfield than the much lauded on here - Marvin Bartley and/or Mark Milligan - players many of you cry out by saying they should never have been released.

In many respects that’s fair comment. However, what many of you don’t take into account is what a classy player Whitty was in his first spell and that class is still evident this time round. What shades it for me is his attacking qualities. He’s never afraid to venture forward. Something that both a Marv and Mark got nose bleeds over if they ventured further than 5-10 yards from the centre circle.

Whitty may not be to everyone’s taste, I get that, but if I was to choose between any of the 3 players I’ve mentioned to play in that position, Whitty would win hands down as the more complete player.

Sorry if anyone disagrees. Just my opinion.

You're spot on. He's a much better footballer than either. 2 wonderful feet.

neil7908
29-01-2020, 03:08 PM
He gets unfairly criticised but has done well recently.

I'd be pretty reluctant to offer him a new deal unless it's for buttons. We already have McGregor and Gray sitting on the bench/stands most weeks, not sure another aging squad player is needed.

If he is does stay it should be to fill a midfield role - far too old to play fullback.

pacoluna
29-01-2020, 03:10 PM

Seems to me he is important player to have behind the scenes.

HendoDelivered
29-01-2020, 03:47 PM
Unplayable last night. Speaks volumes about him as a person/player when you hear what Joe Newell had to say about him. Top pro 👍🏻

eastcoasthibby
29-01-2020, 03:57 PM
In addition to what we saw in respect of his actual footballing contribution, you could also see him talking and directing the players about him, at one point could actually see him at Scott Allan to get over and pick someone up ....so brought some much needed leadership and organisation into the team ...again hard to get in players !!

Iggy Pope
29-01-2020, 04:00 PM
In addition to what we saw in respect of his actual footballing contribution, you could also see him talking and directing the players about him, at one point could actually see him at Scott Allan to get over and pick someone up ....so brought some much needed leadership and organisation into the team ...again hard to get in players !!

He’s in all those Ivan clips this week from 15 years ago. If players at Hibs don’t listen to him they’d be as well listening to the spraff on here.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Over the piece he has been average at best IMO yes good last night but this for me is exception rather than rule.

This is my take on Whittaker too.
:agree:

Peevemor
29-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Re your quicker and fitter point it was interesting to hear Joe Newell say in his post match interview that Whitaker inspires on the training pitch and on the park. He obviously gives it all and earns the respect of team mates.Do you not think Newell might be taking the piss (in a nice way) with his Whittaker tributes? "It's great how he trains AT HIS AGE", etc.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2020, 04:04 PM

I disagree.
One brilliant performance in a sea of sub par/average performances does not merit a one year contract.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2020, 04:05 PM
Great performance by Whitty, again, but IMO he's not worth another deal. He was up against a poor Championship level midfield (the area DUFC need to strengthen more than any) and struggles when playing stronger, quicker, more energetic Prem players.

:agree:

TelaStella
29-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Maybe whits isn’t actually that bad? Maybe he never actually has been?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
29-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Do you not think Newell might be taking the piss (in a nice way) with his Whittaker tributes? "It's great how he trains AT HIS AGE", etc.

Definitely wasn't taking the piss. You can tell by the way he says it and in the context of his praise for Whitts as a whole, it was a sincere compliment.

Steve88
29-01-2020, 04:15 PM
SW had a couple of good games (only) against a CHAMPIONSHIP club...

It’s about consistency. He hasn’t been consistent and on his return to hibs has shown he can’t be consistent at a premiership level

It comes down to wages. If he’s a top earner we need to be replacing him (he can stay on in the background for coaching etc)

Good on him though for his last couple of outings.

brog
29-01-2020, 04:20 PM
I disagree.
One brilliant performance in a sea of sub par/average performances does not merit a one year contract.

He's started 3 league games this season, hardly a sea of sub par performances. A puddle at most!

Kaff
29-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Definitely wasn't taking the piss. You can tell by the way he says it and in the context of his praise for Whitts as a whole, it was a sincere compliment.

I agree with you and Jonnyboy, both were in agreement how influential he is, doing his badges and Eddie May involved him preparing the team for St J game.
Could even be that he is more involved than under Heck and his guidance has rescued the Hibs career of Newell and Doidge, might not be a coincidence and he's given Jack some pointers when he's come in?
Whittaker has always been my favourite from the golden bunch, head screwed on and always treated the club with respect, he fits in perfectly with the ethos of Pat Stanton, SDG, Daz, Lewie and Paul Hanlon that is thankfully the majority at the club, it will take a lot of bad apples to sour things at the moment

Captain Trips
29-01-2020, 04:24 PM
He's started 3 league games this season, hardly a sea of sub par performances. A puddle at most!

Over the whole time here.

SquashedFrogg
29-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Maybe whits isn’t actually that bad? Maybe he never actually has been?

A player on the pitch last night with a career all the other players can only dream of.

Scouse Hibee
29-01-2020, 04:47 PM
I disagree.

Seeing as he has not had a sea of sub par/average performances, he may well merit a contract.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2020, 06:39 PM

I'm talking about the last 2/3 years.

theonlywayisup
29-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Some people seem to go out of their way to be critical of our players. Steven Whittaker was our best player last night, yet some want to make that positive a negative.

Being a positive individual in life, I really struggle to understand why?

lyonhibs
29-01-2020, 07:19 PM
he never wanted to play full back. when he signed he said cb or dm...he knew and still does where his strenghts lie

Then I agree entirely with his own self analysis

lord bunberry
29-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Whittaker is a true hibs legend and some of the treatment he’s had is unforgivable. Some fans should hang their head in shame, cheering when he was substituted and booing when he was in the team, ffs what’s wrong with people these days. He’s never let us down, but it’s obvious he’s not a full back anymore, but he is more than decent in the middle of the park when needed.

HendoDelivered
29-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Whittaker is a true hibs legend and some of the treatment he’s had is unforgivable. Some fans should hang their head in shame, cheering when he was substituted and booing when he was in the team, ffs what’s wrong with people these days. He’s never let us down, but it’s obvious he’s not a full back anymore, but he is more than decent in the middle of the park when needed.

Bang on.

The 90+2
29-01-2020, 10:46 PM

I wouldn’t say a legend. He’s been amazing for Hibernian though and got us very good money,!hes the ultimate pro’ a three year contract was a bit much especially when we thought we where getting the old Whittaker back. To hear boos to him though is disgraceful and he’s never ever let us down. He’s a hibs fan that grew up a Jambo and has had a fantastic football career. If he can keep up the bit between his teeth he has at the moment then there’s definitely a new deal there, he’s also happy learning from JR.

KWJ
29-01-2020, 10:49 PM
It's been referenced a few times but what Newell says here really is impressive.

I think it was Steven Fletcher in his Open Goal interview that says Whittaker was the best of the bunch in the golden generation.

He's probably in the same ball park with Brown and Fletcher on wages, I'd guess 2nd for trophies and probably about Brown again for caps. He's played plenty times in the Premier League and in a Europa League Final.

As someone said before, a career players aspire to.

The 90+2
29-01-2020, 10:50 PM
It's been referenced a few times but what Newell says here really is impressive.

I think it was Steven Fletcher in his Open Goal interview that says Whittaker was the best of the bunch in the golden generation.

He's probably in the same ball park with Brown and Fletcher on wages, I'd guess 2nd for trophies and probably about Brown again for caps. He's played plenty times in the Premier League and in a Europa League Final.

As someone said before, a career players aspire to.

Fletch was always going to be the best. Whittaker the smartest. Totally agree with the rest. I must sound old now but if younger players have the same attitude as Whittaker they will go far. Wasn’t his debut the night Alen Orman had a seizure?

Smartie
29-01-2020, 11:06 PM
Fletch was always going to be the best. Whittaker the smartest. Totally agree with the rest. I must sound old now but if younger players have the same attitude as Whittaker they will go far. Wasn’t his debut the night Alen Orman had a seizure?

I’m sure his debut was at Fir Park (that was the first time I remember seeing him anyway).

He played one game as a real youngster, disappeared for a bit then broke into the first team squad properly later.

I think......

FilipinoHibs
29-01-2020, 11:18 PM
I wouldn’t say a legend. He’s been amazing for Hibernian though and got us very good money,!hes the ultimate pro’ a three year contract was a bit much especially when we thought we where getting the old Whittaker back. To hear boos to him though is disgraceful and he’s never ever let us down. He’s a hibs fan that grew up a Jambo and has had a fantastic football career. If he can keep up the bit between his teeth he has at the moment then there’s definitely a new deal there, he’s also happy learning from JR.

Yes Heck's fault for exposing him at full back. That man has a lot answer for.

Unseen work
29-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Even at the start of the season when struggling he was one of our better performers, certainly on the ball however was exposed in the right back area with lack of pace.

Hes always looked good in the centre of the park to me and seems to get quite a few chances playing in that role with his driving runs.

I think he along with Newell and Omeonga may have convinced Ross not to spend a money on a centre mid until the summer.

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2020, 05:47 AM
I'm talking about the last 2/3 years.

And you would still be wrong.

Aim Here
30-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Yes Heck's fault for exposing him at full back. That man has a lot answer for.

Unless my memory is failing, Lennon regularly had Whittaker at left-back during the 2017-18 season, so I'm not sure why Hecky should get more stick for doing the same, other than he's the easiest scapegoat these days...

Billy Whizz
30-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Unless my memory is failing, Lennon regularly had Whittaker at left-back during the 2017-18 season, so I'm not sure why Hecky should get more stick for doing the same, other than he's the easiest scapegoat these days...

The game that Lennon left before, St Mirren away, Whittaker played left back and was man of the match. He picked up an injury at the end of that game, which put him out for a few months

Wembley67
30-01-2020, 10:42 AM
I wonder if he is taking his coaching badges?

Iggy Pope
30-01-2020, 10:46 AM
I’m sure his debut was at Fir Park (that was the first time I remember seeing him anyway).

He played one game as a real youngster, disappeared for a bit then broke into the first team squad properly later.

I think......

I seem to remember seeing him first time at Perth in a more advanced role? He was great when he really broke through. Physically suited to his position.

Iggy Pope
30-01-2020, 10:47 AM

Is that tongue in cheek? He’s been doing them a while.

SideBurns
30-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Even at the start of the season when struggling he was one of our better performers, certainly on the ball however was exposed in the right back area with lack of pace.

Hes always looked good in the centre of the park to me and seems to get quite a few chances playing in that role with his driving runs.

I think he along with Newell and Omeonga may have convinced Ross not to spend a money on a centre mid until the summer.

I think the same. If Whittaker can stay injury free, then he could fill that role until the summer at least. Omeonga wins a lot of possession, and Newell is now defying the doubters (me amongst them) so there is less urgency for a new central midfielder, in my opinion.

Aim Here
30-01-2020, 10:49 AM

Yeah, he's mentioned it in interviews. Same class at Heriot Watt as Scott Brown, apparently.

Wembley67
30-01-2020, 11:03 AM
Is that tongue in cheek? He’s been doing them a while.

Nope, Hibs isn't my life so I don't know absolutely everything that goes on at the club.

Good to hear though :thumbsup:

Wembley67
30-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Yeah, he's mentioned it in interviews. Same class at Heriot Watt as Scott Brown, apparently.

:thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
30-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Nope, Hibs isn't my life so I don't know absolutely everything that goes on at the club.

Good to hear though :thumbsup:

Me neither.

Hi Heid Yin
30-01-2020, 02:51 PM
And you would still be wrong.

Being right or wrong does not come into the equation.
We have conflicting opinions, nothing more, nothing less.
If it helps; I actually rated him during his first stint. The guy oozed class and pace.
I'd like to see him get a post at ER, but not a one year playing contract.

ancient hibee
30-01-2020, 03:18 PM

There are a few on that course.They're not coaching it's a sports management course.

Ozyhibby
30-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Couple of good games a season. Def worth a new contract.[emoji849]

MWHIBBIES
30-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Couple of good games a season. Def worth a new contract.[emoji849]

He's only played a couple. I'd say he's near 100% for good games this season.

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Being right or wrong does not come into the equation.
We have conflicting opinions, nothing more, nothing less.
If it helps; I actually rated him during his first stint. The guy oozed class and pace.
I'd like to see him get a post at ER, but not a one year playing contract.

Oozed pace? That’s the first time I’ve heard that description of any player, it’s not really about opinion it’s about fact. The fact is that Whittaker has rarely let us down, he has massive ability yet during his second stint people have far too often put the boot in and often picked on a single error and totally ignored his other contribution in the same game. He gets stick before he has even kicked a ball as soon as some see his name on the teamsheet. So the fact is that he has not let us down or turned in a load of poor performances as you alluded to.

HibbyAndy
30-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Oozed pace? That’s the first time I’ve heard that description of any player, it’s not really about opinion it’s about fact. The fact is that Whittaker has rarely let us down, he has massive ability yet during his second stint people have far too often put the boot in and often picked on a single error and totally ignored his other contribution in the same game. He gets stick before he has even kicked a ball as soon as some see his name on the teamsheet. So the fact is that he has not let us down or turned in a load of poor performances as you alluded to.

Spot on mate

theonlywayisup
30-01-2020, 05:51 PM

100% Scouse Hibee.

The 90+2
30-01-2020, 05:58 PM

I think......

Nope, you’re right. Def replaced Orman in the seizure rangers match.

SquashedFrogg
30-01-2020, 06:01 PM

I think......

Think I was at that match. Am I imagining it or did he play out on the left?

Captain Trips
30-01-2020, 06:17 PM

None of that is fact its your opinion. I have left Easter Road many a team hearing all sorts of complete opposite views of the same player as I make my way up the stairs. You are just generalising on what you think is happening with fans. I happen to agree with a lot of Hi Heid Yin on SW. Its nothing like what you describe above it is based on my opinion on how I have seen his 2nd stint which is different from you. 1000 can agree with you its still not a fact and never will be.

It would certainly be strange behaviour by people then if what you say about SW is fact.

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2020, 06:23 PM
None of that is fact its your opinion. I have left Easter Road many a team hearing all sorts of complete opposite views of the same player as I make my way up the stairs. You are just generalising on what you think is happening with fans. I happen to agree with a lot of Hi Heid Yin on SW. Its nothing like what you describe above it is based on my opinion on how I have seen his 2nd stint which is different from you. 1000 can agree with you its still not a fact and never will be.

It would certainly be strange behaviour by people then if what you say about SW is fact.

Opinion can’t change the way he has performed, that has happened and is now fact whether you like it or not.

Captain Trips
30-01-2020, 06:31 PM
Opinion can’t change the way he has performed, that has happened and is now fact whether you like it or not.

So I must assume then all your thoughts on players must be fact?

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2020, 06:37 PM

Not at all, I am basing my opinion on fact that is all.

Captain Trips
30-01-2020, 06:40 PM
Not at all, I am basing my opinion on fact that is all.

So what do you base your opinion on with other players?

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2020, 06:48 PM
So what do you base your opinion on with other players?

What they actually do on the pitch of course. Not aimed at you but some folk don’t see half of what a player contributes unless it’s a “memorable” moment in the game, good or bad. I’m no expert and don’t claim to be but I am sometimes mystified at what people don’t see at a game.

theonlywayisup
30-01-2020, 06:49 PM

I'm really not sure where you are going with this one CT.

Scouse said "the fact is that SW has rarely let us down". A fact is a thing that is known or proved to be true. Scouse and I'm sure many others are considering all the occasions observing SW playing and making a subjective decision based on the evidence that they see on the park.

The way to challenge their view is the provide evidence to support your view. Otherwise you are just trading opinions.

Captain Trips
30-01-2020, 06:54 PM
I'm really not sure where you are going with this one CT.

Scouse said "the fact is that SW has rarely let us down". A fact is a thing that is known or proved to be true. Scouse and I'm sure many others are considering all the occasions observing SW playing and making a subjective decision based on the evidence that they see on the park.

The way to challenge their view is the provide evidence to support your view. Otherwise you are just trading opinions.

Scouse and I'm sure many others are considering all the occasions observing SW playing and making a subjective decision based on the evidence that they see on the park. I am doing the exact same as what you have said there and I think differently. No facts involved.

What do you think the people who do not agree with Scouse are doing? Will they not been doing the exact same as what you said in bold?

Captain Trips
30-01-2020, 07:02 PM
What they actually do on the pitch of course. Not aimed at you but some folk don’t see half of what a player contributes unless it’s a “memorable” moment in the game, good or bad. I’m no expert and don’t claim to be but I am sometimes mystified at what people don’t see at a game.

My point is then your thoughts on Horgan, Boyle etc etc etc must be a fact as well. People see differently perhaps your view a wayward pass less harshly or a missed chance. Im comforatable with my view on SW and under this stint at Hibs he has been at best average. When good he has been excellent but for me those have been a few and far between. Not a fact just my thoughts.

Smartie
30-01-2020, 10:32 PM
Think I was at that match. Am I imagining it or did he play out on the left?

I’m sure he did.

My main recollection was that he had a fair strike on him. Not sure if it was just a shot or a direct free kick that made me think that.

SquashedFrogg
30-01-2020, 10:40 PM
I’m sure he did.

My main recollection was that he had a fair strike on him. Not sure if it was just a shot or a direct free kick that made me think that.

So glad you said this. Could've swore he took a free kick at goal from left side of the pitch that game. Towards away end.

SRHibs
30-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Newell is a big fan anyway!

https://youtu.be/aNV-ABPRJDI

Great interview.

Hi Heid Yin
31-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Opinions are opinions are opinions....but you want us to take your opinions as fact!
:no way:

lyonhibs
31-01-2020, 01:23 PM

I actually agree with you re Whittaker but painting your interpretation, that may or may not be shared by others, of what you've seen him do, though your eyes, on the pitch as immovable "fact" is a tad Orwellian

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2020, 02:19 PM
Newell is a big fan anyway!

https://youtu.be/aNV-ABPRJDI

Great interview.

Yeah but what does he know, his opinion is his own. 😁

Captain Trips
31-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Yeah but what does he know, his opinion is his own. 😁

His opinion does not change his performances since he joined. It doesn't change anything.:agree:

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2020, 05:14 PM
His opinion does not change his performances since he joined. It doesn't change anything.:agree:

Exactly, opinions can’t change facts.