PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever delay/avoid checking the Hibs score?

G B Young
29-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Without going into the details I had an important role to play last night involving some folk who were oblivious to the fact Hibs were playing and who don't know the first thing about football. It necessitated a lot of focus and required me to be upbeat and patient.

While I was relatively confident Hibs would win it certainly wasn't a given and I knew fine well that were I to learn we had gone out the cup it would impact on my concentration, so I decided it would be better not to know the score rather than run that risk.

All went fine and I was then able to check the score in the early hours of this morning, which was a great way to round off a challenging night.

Anyone ever deliberately avoid the Hibs score when you have something else to focus on? Something perhaps more light-hearted, like a best man speech, romantic dinner etc?

Cataplana
29-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Without going into the details I had an important role to play last night involving some folk who were oblivious to the fact Hibs were playing and who don't know the first thing about football. It necessitated a lot of focus and required me to be upbeat and patient.

While I was relatively confident Hibs would win it certainly wasn't a given and I knew fine well that were I to learn we had gone out the cup it would impact on my concentration, so I decided it would be better not to know the score rather than run that risk.

All went fine and I was then able to check the score in the early hours of this morning, which was a great way to round off a challenging night.

Anyone ever deliberately avoid the Hibs score when you have something else to focus on? Something perhaps more light-hearted, like a best man speech, romantic dinner etc?

Yes, I am on holiday just now, and waited till morning. I didn't want my night out last night to be spoiled.

essexhibee
29-01-2020, 08:53 AM
I have flashscores so get instant notifications. Hear the vibration and think oh god whos scored.. :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
29-01-2020, 08:56 AM
No. When I'm aware Hibs are playing it's all I think about anyway. I can't focus on something else if that's eating away at me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hibee87
29-01-2020, 08:57 AM
When the game is on Alba and were away from home.

Saturday was the perfect example, took the Mrs to Ikea (A place I have no great likeness for, especially hungover.) kinnaird park, big asda shop etc. I switched flash scored off, did not look at the phone and listened to tunes, not the radio stations, in the car. Wish I had'nt now!

Golden Bear
29-01-2020, 08:59 AM
I have flashscores so get instant notifications. Hear the vibration and think oh god whos scored.. :greengrin

:agree:

That's a great wee app. When it pings you're filled with both trepidation and excitement and its even worse when it pings near the final whistle!

:greengrin :worried:

Jim44
29-01-2020, 09:01 AM

I’m sure you were doing something very worthwhile, GGY, good for you and I don’t mean to detract from that by being flippant, but I couldn’t help thinking, by the wording of the first paragraph, that you were chaperoning a local branch group of HMFC supporters. :greengrin

G B Young
29-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Yes, I am on holiday just now, and waited till morning. I didn't want my night out last night to be spoiled.

Yes, I've done that before come to think of it. What makes it easier on holiday is that I'm usually in a place where I'm highly unlikely to run into anyone who would bring my attention to the score.

G B Young
29-01-2020, 09:04 AM
I’m sure you were doing something very worthwhile, GGY, good for you and I don’t mean to detract from that by being flippant, but I couldn’t help thinking, by the wording of the first paragraph, that you were chaperoning a local branch group of HMFC supporters. :greengrin

:greengrin Re-reading my post I can see why you might think that way!

FilipinoHibs
29-01-2020, 09:11 AM
Never. When we played Rangers in the 1991 LC semi. I was working in NY on Wall St. My wife called the bank I was working at. They put her through to the trading floor and a colleague said it is your wife. I plicked up let out a massive yell when I heard the score. A few hundred people turned round to see what was going on.

Joe6-2
29-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Yes, at a wedding, but all I could think of was how the game was going!

PatHead
29-01-2020, 09:35 AM
:greengrin Re-reading my post I can see why you might think that way!

So you don't deny it?

ABZHFC
29-01-2020, 09:46 AM
For complicated reasons , I went 14 hours without knowing the Falkirk second leg playoff score, got home the next morning and watched a recording of it, fast-forwarded through the last minute of injury time thinking it was going to extra time, couldn't understand it when I suddenly saw them all celebrating. An absolute kicker

Man Down Under
29-01-2020, 12:39 PM
I live in NZ, I stay up for most of the games (2 or 4am KO mostly) but if I need to get up early for work I have to wait till the end of the day to watch the replay without spoiling the score. Sometimes I am weak and check the score on my break though [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Killiehibbie
29-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Once for a delayed coverage Alba game v Aberdeen which produced no goals and not much of anything else.

hibbydog
29-01-2020, 05:13 PM
It’s not possible for me not to check the score. There have been times when we’ve been murder, gash, awful and I’ve decided I’m not interested and I’m better off away from the Hibs. I can sustain that until about 5 minutes after kick off.

HibeeJude
29-01-2020, 05:27 PM
It’s not possible for me not to check the score. There have been times when we’ve been murder, gash, awful and I’ve decided I’m not interested and I’m better off away from the Hibs. I can sustain that until about 5 minutes after kick off.

Was playing football during the play off second leg v Hamilton so couldn’t make it. Me and the old man agreed to not check the score and we’d record it and watch it as if it was live. Recording failed just before Scotland scored their first. Thank Christ for that dodgy sky box.

Hibeesmad
29-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Not Hibs related but I once spent an entire day avoiding all the scores then watched match of the day in the evening, it actually makes it a lot more enjoyable. The hardest part was avoiding the news giving you a split second to mute the tv as they reveal all.

Eyrie
29-01-2020, 07:20 PM
I do this most times that an away game is shown on Alba. Easy enough to find something else to do.

Mind you, that's meant a few games where I wish I'd known that it wasn't worth waiting for.

danhibees1875
29-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Done it once, we beat Dundee 1-0 a couple of years ago.

Wasn't a fan!

Andy74
29-01-2020, 07:46 PM
Do it a fair bit with working away. Try and watch the replay later. I know the guys try their best but can be frustrating waiting for uploads after midnight. It can be a long time after this.

You generally see the goal highlight link when trying to find the game and usually the scorer of at least one goal is visible on the graphic.

The players picked for the post match interviews also can be a give away.

It is a perilous business.

FilipinoHibs
29-01-2020, 08:35 PM
Yes, at a wedding, but all I could think of was how the game was going!

Was it your own?

offshorehibby
29-01-2020, 10:55 PM
Boxing day v Jambos visiting grandkids, new I wouldn't get back in time for kick off. So on drive back no Radio, phone switched off and all passengers threatened with death if they told me the score.

Back in house the Mrs was desperate to spill the beans as she had the score on her phone App.

The 90+2
29-01-2020, 10:58 PM
Once for a delayed coverage Alba game v Aberdeen which produced no goals and not much of anything else.

Midweek match about five years ago? I’m the very same if so. Really weird 😁 raging I was up till 1am sod all happening.

jgl07
30-01-2020, 12:15 AM
Not Hibs related but I once spent an entire day avoiding all the scores then watched match of the day in the evening, it actually makes it a lot more enjoyable. The hardest part was avoiding the news giving you a split second to mute the tv as they reveal all.

I recall trying to do a ‘Likely Lads’ and avoid the scores so we could watch Match of the Day’ as if it was live. It was much easier to avoid scores with no internet and less sports news on TV. Manchester City were away from home and were one of the two featured games on Match of the Day.

All went well until we were sitting down with the theme music playing waiting for the match to start. Then my Grandfather arrived back from the British Legion club just as the match was coming on. He put his head around the door and said “I see they have got beat again”!

Hibeesmad
30-01-2020, 01:17 AM
I recall trying to do a ‘Likely Lads’ and avoid the scores so we could watch Match of the Day’ as if it was live. It was much easier to avoid scores with no internet and less sports news on TV. Manchester City were away from home and were one of the two featured games on Match of the Day.

All went well until we were sitting down with the theme music playing waiting for the match to start. Then my Grandfather arrived back from the British Legion club just as the match was coming on. He put his head around the door and said “I see they have got beat again”!

Nightmare!

AZhibee
30-01-2020, 03:22 AM
I say I will wait and avoid the score till after the game so I can watch it...I never make it.

Forza Fred
30-01-2020, 06:44 AM
Never.

If we are playing I must know the score ASAP.

2am on a Sunday morning is a regular get up for me, to watch Hibs TV.

FilipinoHibs
30-01-2020, 07:18 AM
Never.

If we are playing I must know the score ASAP.

2am on a Sunday morning is a regular get up for me, to watch Hibs TV.

11pm and 3:45am in winter. 10pm and 2:25am summer time for me.

eastmainsmsh
30-01-2020, 09:10 AM
when terry butcher was in charge

stantonhibby
30-01-2020, 09:57 AM
Not Hibs......but the Scotland game in Paris when McFadden scored. Away at a hotel in Auchterarder for the night. Managed to avoid knowing the score and settled down to watch Sportscene......some random English bloke arrived and said 'great result for you boys tonight'

G B Young
30-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Not Hibs......but the Scotland game in Paris when McFadden scored. Away at a hotel in Auchterarder for the night. Managed to avoid knowing the score and settled down to watch Sportscene......some random English bloke arrived and said 'great result for you boys tonight'

You really need to be in an environment where there's next to no chance of running into anyone who might tell you the score.

It's hard these days with communication being so much more instantaneous but I recall being on holidays abroad in the pre-mobile/internet days when you would wait around for the UK papers arriving a day late before you could find out the score.

stantonhibby
30-01-2020, 01:30 PM
You really need to be in an environment where there's next to no chance of running into anyone who might tell you the score.

It's hard these days with communication being so much more instantaneous but I recall being on holidays abroad in the pre-mobile/internet days when you would wait around for the UK papers arriving a day late before you could find out the score.

Indeed.....i remember being on holiday when Hibs were playing Celtic at Parkhead. No idea of score and were listening to a radio for full times.....Celtic 2 (boooo) Hibs 3 (yaaaay). Early 90's I think.

G B Young
30-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Indeed.....i remember being on holiday when Hibs were playing Celtic at Parkhead. No idea of score and were listening to a radio for full times.....Celtic 2 (boooo) Hibs 3 (yaaaay). Early 90's I think.

I remember being at that game. Mental scenes when we scored the winner, as you can see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COW-QQmt6Mw

PH91
05-02-2020, 02:27 PM
Can't make it tonight so contemplating avoiding the score and watching it 'as live' early tomorrow morning.

Can anyone confirm that the full game will be put onto hibs tv at midnight as usual. I'm led to believe we don't have the same broadcasting rights deal with rangers as we do with other clubs.

itslegaltender
05-02-2020, 02:36 PM
was away working last week, BBC sport updates for Hibs werent working due to the VPN over there.

had to be a quick check end of game in car park to see we had won, very satisfying.

PH91
05-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Can't make it tonight so contemplating avoiding the score and watching it 'as live' early tomorrow morning.

Can anyone confirm that the full game will be put onto hibs tv at midnight as usual. I'm led to believe we don't have the same broadcasting rights deal with rangers as we do with other clubs.

Bump.

Any info would be appreciated.

Andy74
05-02-2020, 04:42 PM

It is very rarely at midnight. I understand why but I’ve sat up a few nights and had to give in some time after 1am!

PH91
05-02-2020, 04:54 PM
It is very rarely at midnight. I understand why but I’ve sat up a few nights and had to give in some time after 1am!

Yeah, can understand it would be tricky with the evening kick offs.

6am tomorrow would be fine though. Are games at ibrox generally expected to be put up at some point given they are not shown live to international subscribers?