PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee Utd 28 01 20)

Jonnyboy
28-01-2020, 10:55 PM
Cup football should be all about two teams going at each other from the off and tonight’s game with Dundee United provided just that. It was a great watch and of course a great win for a Hibs side often accused of not being entertaining enough. They squashed that view tonight with a hard fought, hugely enjoyable and deserved 4-2 win over a plucky outfit that contributed well to the entertainment factor.

With Omeonga unavailable, Jack Ross opted to bring Steven Whittaker in to the holding midfield role but that was not the only change to the eleven that had started against Motherwell. Scott Allan returned in midfield whilst Flo Kamberi had to settle for a seat on the bench.

Hibs set out their stall from the off and after just three minutes Steven Whittaker won the ball in midfield and set off towards the United goal. Skipping past several challenges he found his way deep in to the box and if I was picky I’d say he should have done better than hitting the outside of the post.

United settled and with Hibs standing off too much in their play the visitors came back at them and around the ten minute mark broke the deadlock. Hibs had been attacking and lost possession. United broke and with Horgan jogging back and making no attempt to close him down their right back had time to pick out Shankland on the edge of the Hibs box. The prolific striker took the ball on his chest, wheeled around and hit a cracking drive past Rocky who had no chance with the ball having been struck so well.

The opener rattled Hibs a bit but they got back into their stride without looking as though they would draw level, despite half decent efforts from both Whittaker and Boyle, the latter causing the United rearguard all sorts of problems with his pace. At the other end a corner on the United right saw Shankland leave Hanlon for dead but then smash the ball over the bar from around twelve yards.

For a few moments, Hibs pummelled the United goal but the visitors defended well and it has to be said the home fans were growing restless as the half time whistle approached. Five minutes before that whistle, Boyle wriggled through a couple of challenges and as he raced in to the box he was clearly hauled down by Butcher with referee Clancy immediately pointing to the spot. Scott Allan was a picture of calmness personified as he sent keeper Siegrist the wrong way and then celebrated whilst facing a United support that had booed him throughout. Next, Allan played a superb ball for Boyle to run on to, only for Kevin Clancy to blow the half time whistle.

Jack Ross had said he’d given his players a stern talking to at half time in the Hamilton game and I wonder if he did the same tonight as Hibs were much more aggressive in their forward play from the off. United were being pinned back and were struggling to gain any forward momentum with Whittaker and Newell dominating the midfield. It was the latter that created Hibs’ second goal when he intercepted a pass, drove past a couple of defenders and sent in a cross that flew between retreating defenders and a static goalkeeper for Doidge to smash home from close range.

For reasons I cannot explain, Hibs seemed then to take their foot off the gas a bit and some of their play was downright sloppy which led to an equaliser. United broke down their right, cut infield and the ball reached Sporle, who had literally just come off the bench and the youngster’s shot was deflected over the diving Marciano by Adam Jackson.

Thankfully, Hibs did not allow this to become nervous in their play and a fabulous ball from Newell found substitute Fraser Murray galloping down the left where his perseverance in doing so earned the hosts a corner. Newell’s cross was met by Doidge who headed strongly home to put Hibs back in the lead. That was Newell’s second assist of the game and more was to come. United tried hard to come back at their hosts but Hibs stayed strong and as the game entered time added on another corner by Newell witnessed a sclaffed effort by Kamberi reaching Doidge who grabbed his hat trick by smashing the ball high into the net.

As I alluded to earlier, United offered much in this cracking cup tie and I’m pretty sure they’ll be a welcome addition to the top flight, especially if they are replacing Hearts!

The players

Marciano – Rocky had no chance with either goal but in between those strikes he saved brilliantly with his feet when a United man was through one on one.

James – Tom got roasted a bit in the early part of the game against Motherwell but he improved as the game wore on and I thought that largely he was good tonight, marking tighter and getting his challenges in early. Yes he was caught out a couple of times but definitely didn’t deserve the constant abuse he was getting from some cretin a couple of rows behind me.

Jackson – I thought Adam had his hands full tonight and he was caught wrong side a couple of times but he still merits a pass mark from me.

Hanlon – As we all know, Shankland is a predator and he scored a stunning goal tonight but for the most part I thought Paul kept him quiet with the one obvious exception mentioned earlier when he was caught flat footed at a corner.

Stevenson – A number of times tonight Lewis used his experience to read a forward pass from an opponent and therefore cut that pass off before it arrived. He maybe could have done a bit better in the lead up to their second goal but got no help from his central defenders in closing his man down.

Boyle – It was obvious from the off that they were terrified of Boyle’s pace and he was closely marked, too closely sometimes as he got hauled down when looking as though he might break free. His run in the penalty incident makes that very point.

Whittaker – Steven has been written off by many on here but his performance tonight was top notch and won him the sponsors’ man of the match award.

Newell – What a difference when he’s played centrally instead of being hung out to dry by Heckingbottom playing him as a winger. Joe’s energy tonight was impressive as was his use of the ball in assisting all of Doidge’s goals.

Allan – I firmly believe that Scott is low on confidence at the moment and that has obviously affected his form. Not back to his best tonight but he slotted the penalty home well enough and we did see evidence of the odd stunning pass. His confidence will I am sure, return and that will be a crucial factor in the weeks and months ahead.

Horgan – There is no doubt Daryl works hard enough but for me he didn’t contribute much to tonight’s win. He can’t/won’t tackle and rarely tracks a runner, as witnessed by United’s opening goal tonight.

Doidge – That’s 14 ‘sclaff’s’ for the season so far. I do feel Doidge gets a hard time from some on here that is unwarranted and frankly disappointing. He took all three goals well, worked his socks off as usual and deservedly went home with the match ball.

Kamberi – Flo gave United something to think about as he was effectively joining Doidge up front as often as possible. Although he didn’t set the heather on fire he was part of a winning team and you can’t ask for much more than that.

Murray – Fraser’s persistence in chasing a ball that others might have given up on led directly to the corner from which we scored our third goal. If indeed he does go on loan to Dundee and personally I’d keep him here, he’ll improve that team by his presence in my opinion.

Hallberg – Melker only got the last ten minutes or so but he played his part in defending the back four against passes through the middle.

Jack Ross – I heard most of his interview and got the impression that like every singly Hibee in that stadium tonight he will go home very happy.

The fans – Just over 10,000 there and I’d estimate a good 2,500 were supporting the visitors.

Kevin Clancy – I thought he got most things right tonight but still makes the odd infuriating decision.

And finally…………… I’ve been agonising over this from the moment the final whistle blew. Who’d get my man of the match? Doidge with his three goals is an obvious candidate. Newell with his assists and play in general. Steven Whittaker was excellent for his eighty minutes on the park. Sod it; I can’t separate them so tonight we have a three way man of the match tie.

greenlex
28-01-2020, 10:59 PM
Cheers JC. Was back shift tonight so was waiting eagerly on this.👍

Joe6-2
Great report J, thanks

Hibeesmad
In regards to Clancy, is deliberate handball a bookable offence? No idea why their player didn't get one. Was also confused to why the Dundee Utd keeper got no warning for time wasting in the first half but he was onto Rocky the moment we went 2-1 up.

Jonnyboy
28-01-2020, 11:05 PM
In regards to Clancy, is deliberate handball a bookable offence? No idea why their player didn't get one. Was also confused to why the Dundee Utd keeper got no warning for time wasting in the first half but he was onto Rocky the moment we went 2-1 up.

You're right, the Dundee Utd guy should have been booked. :agree:

Siegrist did get warned, just not so obviously as Rocky

hibby6270
28-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Excellent summary once again JB.
I get your triple MOTM award LOL but if push comes to shove, I would (for once!) agree with the match sponsors. Whitty for me.

calumhibee1
28-01-2020, 11:08 PM

That handball was a disgrace. No malice in it or that, just stupidity.. but it is the most obvious booking you’ll probably ever see in football. I’d love to hear Clancys explanation for why he didn’t book the guy for catching the ball as the pass was way over his head.

CMurdoch
28-01-2020, 11:10 PM
Good report as usual

JohnM1875
28-01-2020, 11:18 PM
Great report as usual. But James is never a footballer.

Proposed McGinn Signing making more sense than ever.

MartinfaePorty
28-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Great summary as always, but only thing I would says is whilst Horgan wasn't great in an attacking sense, he did block quite a few balls into the box in the first half.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
28-01-2020, 11:59 PM
Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

Thought about this long and hard Whitt’s outstanding tonight shudda perhaps topped it off with a goal

Newall starting to add tenacity and physicality to his natural game as a centre mid and starting to impose himself and influence games

Big Doidge hard to resist a hatrick hero and starting to prove all the doubters wrong myself included and quite rightly gets my Man of the Match for never giving up believing in his ability and ultimately scoring the goals that turned the game HIBS way

Goals change games

I can fully understand why you nominated all three

NAE NOOKIE
29-01-2020, 12:00 AM
For a wee while I was worried it was going to be one of those nights as Hibs passed up a couple of decent chances in the first half. As it turned out we played a lot better after half time, though I absolutely agree that we lost the 2nd goal through our own slack play, something we simply have to cut out, coz its not as if its the first time, the way we were fannying about with the ball you could see it was going to get us into bother.

Marciano ... 6 ..... No chance with either goal and produced a great save with his feet.

James ... 5 .... It's possible I was the 'cretin' a few rows behind Jonnyboy coz James was doing my head in, far too many under hit and misplaced passes for me and I thought he struggled defensively for the most part.

Jackson ... 6 .... Carried the ball fairly well and was reasonably solid defensively.

Hanlon .... 6 .... Handled Shankland pretty well and wasn't troubled very often.

Stevenson .... 6 .... Made a number of interceptions through good positioning and supported Horgan well ... one woeful attempt at a cross from a really good position I'm sure he'll want to forget though.

Whittaker ... 7 ... Played well all the time he was on the pitch, and incredibly for him might have scored twice.

Newell ... 7 .... What a transformation in him since moving to the middle, once again he drove us forward always looking to do something positive.

Allan ... 6 .... Took his penalty with real composure and made two or three decent passes, still not quite at his best but better tonight.

Horgan ... 5 .... As in a lot of his games ran about a lot without quite being able to make anything meaningful happen, he did engineer a decent shooting chance for himself at one point, I think the ball is still rolling down Albion Road.

Boyle ... 6 .... For some reason he looked about 80% for me tonight, there was a few times where he would normally have taken the ball for a run but seemed reluctant to do so, he still managed to get a few decent balls in though.

Doidge ... 8 .... Any Hibs player who scores a hat trick has to be MOM unless someone else has a brilliant performance, nobody quite hit that height so he gets it, apart from his three goals he did some decent backtracking as well.

SUBS.

Murray ... 5 ... Did fine while he was on. I think if Dundee want him on loan he should go, he's been hovering about for a few seasons now without being able to get anything close to a run of games and if he's to progress he really needs to play regularly for a bit. I've always thought there's a real player in there, time he had a chance to show it.

Kamberi ... 4 ... Didn't influence the game much.

Hallberg ... 3 ... Didn't have much chance to get involved, so 3 for getting on.

The Ref .... Not as bad as the East stand assistant who I thought got two offside decisions completely wrong. I get why he didn't book the Utd player, the ball was going out anyway and not booking him was for me common sense, but then again I've seen more than one player booked for that and if it's the rule he should have booked him .... says it all about our refs that the only time they apply common sense is the one time the rules specifically say they shouldn't.

I have to say I thought the Utd fans backed their team well tonight. I don't know if anybody has thought of this, but doesn't it look good having 2,000 folk backing a team from the lower deck of an end stand at Easter Road ... noisy too. I wonder if any of our fans have suggested us doing that.

ABZHFC
29-01-2020, 02:56 AM
For a wee while I was worried it was going to be one of those nights as Hibs passed up a couple of decent chances in the first half. As it turned out we played a lot better after half time, though I absolutely agree that we lost the 2nd goal through our own slack play, something we simply have to cut out, coz its not as if its the first time, the way we were fannying about with the ball you could see it was going to get us into bother.

Marciano ... 6 ..... No chance with either goal and produced a great save with his feet.

James ... 5 .... It's possible I was the 'cretin' a few rows behind Jonnyboy coz James was doing my head in, far too many under hit and misplaced passes for me and I thought he struggled defensively for the most part.

Jackson ... 6 .... Carried the ball fairly well and was reasonably solid defensively.

Hanlon .... 6 .... Handled Shankland pretty well and wasn't troubled very often.

Stevenson .... 6 .... Made a number of interceptions through good positioning and supported Horgan well ... one woeful attempt at a cross from a really good position I'm sure he'll want to forget though.

Whittaker ... 7 ... Played well all the time he was on the pitch, and incredibly for him might have scored twice.

Newell ... 7 .... What a transformation in him since moving to the middle, once again he drove us forward always looking to do something positive.

Allan ... 6 .... Took his penalty with real composure and made two or three decent passes, still not quite at his best but better tonight.

Horgan ... 5 .... As in a lot of his games ran about a lot without quite being able to make anything meaningful happen, he did engineer a decent shooting chance for himself at one point, I think the ball is still rolling down Albion Road.

Boyle ... 6 .... For some reason he looked about 80% for me tonight, there was a few times where he would normally have taken the ball for a run but seemed reluctant to do so, he still managed to get a few decent balls in though.

Doidge ... 8 .... Any Hibs player who scores a hat trick has to be MOM unless someone else has a brilliant performance, nobody quite hit that height so he gets it, apart from his three goals he did some decent backtracking as well.

SUBS.

Murray ... 5 ... Did fine while he was on. I think if Dundee want him on loan he should go, he's been hovering about for a few seasons now without being able to get anything close to a run of games and if he's to progress he really needs to play regularly for a bit. I've always thought there's a real player in there, time he had a chance to show it.

Kamberi ... 4 ... Didn't influence the game much.

Hallberg ... 3 ... Didn't have much chance to get involved, so 3 for getting on.

The Ref .... Not as bad as the East stand assistant who I thought got two offside decisions completely wrong. I get why he didn't book the Utd player, the ball was going out anyway and not booking him was for me common sense, but then again I've seen more than one player booked for that and if it's the rule he should have booked him .... says it all about our refs that the only time they apply common sense is the one time the rules specifically say they shouldn't.

I have to say I thought the Utd fans backed their team well tonight. I don't know if anybody has thought of this, but doesn't it look good having 2,000 folk backing a team from the lower deck of an end stand at Easter Road ... noisy too. I wonder if any of our fans have suggested us doing that.

He also kept running/standing on the pitch in the second half, it really annoyed me (for some reason)

Green_one
29-01-2020, 03:49 AM
The linesman looked inexperienced

Thought James was very poor defensively. Lacks pace and physicality

Newell is growing into his role. Obviously a central mid and not a winger. Looks a lot happier

Kamberi gave away three fouls in as many minutes including an off the ball that killed a Hibs breakaway
Is it just me irritated by him not doing the simple things required ?

Whits was a star

Tambo
29-01-2020, 04:21 AM
How did frasier do? Sounded like he made a good impact.

PeeJay
29-01-2020, 04:49 AM
Good report as ever and even more enjoyable to read when we have played well - at times anyway. 1st half I was astonished at how lost our defence and midfield looked at times - as if no one really knew what to do or when to do it, is that just me? The Shankland sclaff over the bar - when our defence "forgot" to mark him - has to be the most ludicrous piece of defending we have managed yet this season: comedy gold, everyone in the defence pointing at each other afterwards saying "who's marking Shankland?" (their top goalscorer and only threat).
Good, entertaining cup tie, and we are into the next round - can't complain too much.

500miles
29-01-2020, 05:44 AM
I not convinced that Allan is low on confidence. I think that those little precision through balls and reverses are brilliant for quick, clever forwards who can steal a yard in behind defenders. I think Doidge lives off headers and throwing himself at scraps in the opposition box. That's no criticism of either player, but I don't think Allan is the man to play behind Doidge alone up front, and Horgan might be better there in that system.

If you're playing Kamberi or Boyle through the middle with Doidge, or even Kamberi alone, Scott has a lot more to aim at, and is a better option than Horgan there.

matty_f
29-01-2020, 05:57 AM
That handball was a disgrace. No malice in it or that, just stupidity.. but it is the most obvious booking you’ll probably ever see in football. I’d love to hear Clancys explanation for why he didn’t book the guy for catching the ball as the pass was way over his head.

Same here. The ref's job is to apply the laws of the game - he's given the foul for the handball so there's no question of him not seeing it, so how can he possibly view that as anything other than a yellow card?

It's decisions like that, that infuriate me because you know that inevitably, when that's a Hibs player, the card comes out.

hibee_girl
29-01-2020, 06:19 AM
How did frasier do? Sounded like he made a good impact.

He did really well imo. Came on and won a corner straight away which we scored our 3rd from

GoalsMcGinley
29-01-2020, 06:47 AM
Agree with with majority of OP. However, cannot agree about James and Jackson. Both are absolutely dreadful and should be moved on sharpish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
29-01-2020, 06:52 AM
Agree with with majority of OP. However, cannot agree about James and Jackson. Both are absolutely dreadful and should be moved on sharpish.

I thought Jackson done ok. Thought James was absolutely miles off it though. His lack of pace is terrifying.

GoalsMcGinley
29-01-2020, 07:31 AM
I thought Jackson done ok. Thought James was absolutely miles off it though. His lack of pace is terrifying.

At fault for both goals imo

HibbyAndy
29-01-2020, 07:47 AM

Same here. The ref's job is to apply the laws of the game - he's given the foul for the handball so there's no question of him not seeing it, so how can he possibly view that as anything other than a yellow card?

It's decisions like that, that infuriate me because you know that inevitably, when that's a Hibs player, the card comes out.

:agree:

That's a shocker from Clancy , It's a yellow card every single day of the week.

I'd love to see the through ball by Allan to Boyle that was offside in the 2nd half , Replica of the defense spliiting pass against Aberdeen where Boyle rounded the keeper , Looked onside to me

supermcginn
29-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Cup football should be all about two teams going at each other from the off and tonight’s game with Dundee United provided just that. It was a great watch and of course a great win for a Hibs side often accused of not being entertaining enough. They squashed that view tonight with a hard fought, hugely enjoyable and deserved 4-2 win over a plucky outfit that contributed well to the entertainment factor.

With Omeonga unavailable, Jack Ross opted to bring Steven Whittaker in to the holding midfield role but that was not the only change to the eleven that had started against Motherwell. Scott Allan returned in midfield whilst Flo Kamberi had to settle for a seat on the bench.

Hibs set out their stall from the off and after just three minutes Steven Whittaker won the ball in midfield and set off towards the United goal. Skipping past several challenges he found his way deep in to the box and if I was picky I’d say he should have done better than hitting the outside of the post.

United settled and with Hibs standing off too much in their play the visitors came back at them and around the ten minute mark broke the deadlock. Hibs had been attacking and lost possession. United broke and with Horgan jogging back and making no attempt to close him down their right back had time to pick out Shankland on the edge of the Hibs box. The prolific striker took the ball on his chest, wheeled around and hit a cracking drive past Rocky who had no chance with the ball having been struck so well.

The opener rattled Hibs a bit but they got back into their stride without looking as though they would draw level, despite half decent efforts from both Whittaker and Boyle, the latter causing the United rearguard all sorts of problems with his pace. At the other end a corner on the United right saw Shankland leave Hanlon for dead but then smash the ball over the bar from around twelve yards.

For a few moments, Hibs pummelled the United goal but the visitors defended well and it has to be said the home fans were growing restless as the half time whistle approached. Five minutes before that whistle, Boyle wriggled through a couple of challenges and as he raced in to the box he was clearly hauled down by Butcher with referee Clancy immediately pointing to the spot. Scott Allan was a picture of calmness personified as he sent keeper Siegrist the wrong way and then celebrated whilst facing a United support that had booed him throughout. Next, Allan played a superb ball for Boyle to run on to, only for Kevin Clancy to blow the half time whistle.

Jack Ross had said he’d given his players a stern talking to at half time in the Hamilton game and I wonder if he did the same tonight as Hibs were much more aggressive in their forward play from the off. United were being pinned back and were struggling to gain any forward momentum with Whittaker and Newell dominating the midfield. It was the latter that created Hibs’ second goal when he intercepted a pass, drove past a couple of defenders and sent in a cross that flew between retreating defenders and a static goalkeeper for Doidge to smash home from close range.

For reasons I cannot explain, Hibs seemed then to take their foot off the gas a bit and some of their play was downright sloppy which led to an equaliser. United broke down their right, cut infield and the ball reached Sporle, who had literally just come off the bench and the youngster’s shot was deflected over the diving Marciano by Adam Jackson.

Thankfully, Hibs did not allow this to become nervous in their play and a fabulous ball from Newell found substitute Fraser Murray galloping down the left where his perseverance in doing so earned the hosts a corner. Newell’s cross was met by Doidge who headed strongly home to put Hibs back in the lead. That was Newell’s second assist of the game and more was to come. United tried hard to come back at their hosts but Hibs stayed strong and as the game entered time added on another corner by Newell witnessed a sclaffed effort by Kamberi reaching Doidge who grabbed his hat trick by smashing the ball high into the net.

As I alluded to earlier, United offered much in this cracking cup tie and I’m pretty sure they’ll be a welcome addition to the top flight, especially if they are replacing Hearts!

The players

Marciano – Rocky had no chance with either goal but in between those strikes he saved brilliantly with his feet when a United man was through one on one.

James – Tom got roasted a bit in the early part of the game against Motherwell but he improved as the game wore on and I thought that largely he was good tonight, marking tighter and getting his challenges in early. Yes he was caught out a couple of times but definitely didn’t deserve the constant abuse he was getting from some cretin a couple of rows behind me.

Jackson – I thought Adam had his hands full tonight and he was caught wrong side a couple of times but he still merits a pass mark from me.

Hanlon – As we all know, Shankland is a predator and he scored a stunning goal tonight but for the most part I thought Paul kept him quiet with the one obvious exception mentioned earlier when he was caught flat footed at a corner.

Stevenson – A number of times tonight Lewis used his experience to read a forward pass from an opponent and therefore cut that pass off before it arrived. He maybe could have done a bit better in the lead up to their second goal but got no help from his central defenders in closing his man down.

Boyle – It was obvious from the off that they were terrified of Boyle’s pace and he was closely marked, too closely sometimes as he got hauled down when looking as though he might break free. His run in the penalty incident makes that very point.

Whittaker – Steven has been written off by many on here but his performance tonight was top notch and won him the sponsors’ man of the match award.

Newell – What a difference when he’s played centrally instead of being hung out to dry by Heckingbottom playing him as a winger. Joe’s energy tonight was impressive as was his use of the ball in assisting all of Doidge’s goals.

Allan – I firmly believe that Scott is low on confidence at the moment and that has obviously affected his form. Not back to his best tonight but he slotted the penalty home well enough and we did see evidence of the odd stunning pass. His confidence will I am sure, return and that will be a crucial factor in the weeks and months ahead.

Horgan – There is no doubt Daryl works hard enough but for me he didn’t contribute much to tonight’s win. He can’t/won’t tackle and rarely tracks a runner, as witnessed by United’s opening goal tonight.

Doidge – That’s 14 ‘sclaff’s’ for the season so far. I do feel Doidge gets a hard time from some on here that is unwarranted and frankly disappointing. He took all three goals well, worked his socks off as usual and deservedly went home with the match ball.

Kamberi – Flo gave United something to think about as he was effectively joining Doidge up front as often as possible. Although he didn’t set the heather on fire he was part of a winning team and you can’t ask for much more than that.

Murray – Fraser’s persistence in chasing a ball that others might have given up on led directly to the corner from which we scored our third goal. If indeed he does go on loan to Dundee and personally I’d keep him here, he’ll improve that team by his presence in my opinion.

Hallberg – Melker only got the last ten minutes or so but he played his part in defending the back four against passes through the middle.

Jack Ross – I heard most of his interview and got the impression that like every singly Hibee in that stadium tonight he will go home very happy.

The fans – Just over 10,000 there and I’d estimate a good 2,500 were supporting the visitors.

Kevin Clancy – I thought he got most things right tonight but still makes the odd infuriating decision.

And finally…………… I’ve been agonising over this from the moment the final whistle blew. Who’d get my man of the match? Doidge with his three goals is an obvious candidate. Newell with his assists and play in general. Steven Whittaker was excellent for his eighty minutes on the park. Sod it; I can’t separate them so tonight we have a three way man of the match tie.
A 5 for James is 4 more than I'd have given him. I agree with the rest.

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2020, 07:59 AM
A 5 for James is 4 more than I'd have given him. I agree with the rest.

Agree nearer to terrible than great. :greengrin

calumhibee1
29-01-2020, 08:00 AM

I'd love to see the through ball by Allan to Boyle that was offside in the 2nd half , Replica of the defense spliiting pass against Aberdeen where Boyle rounded the keeper , Looked onside to me

Also thought he looked well on side for that one.

Peevemor
29-01-2020, 08:01 AM
Also thought he looked well on side for that one.

In line at best. I thought he was just off.

Brightside
29-01-2020, 08:10 AM

Im not sure he was at fault for the second but would need to watch it again. First goal is a cracker though and not many CH in our league would have had a chance. The movement from Shankland was top class. I've no issues with Jackson - I like his partnership with Hanlon. We still need more defensive cover from midfield when we lose the ball though. Hopefully omeonga will provide that.

madhibee_again
29-01-2020, 08:16 AM

Pretty sure the rules of the game state that a deliberate hand ball is only a booking if it interferes with a promising attack. In this case as the ball was going out anyway he’s not preventing an attack therefore a free kick suffices.

superfurryhibby
29-01-2020, 08:29 AM

Great play by Shankland to score a cracking goal. Preventable, well maybe if you're a world class defender.

Every goal would be preventable if you micro analyse it. Sometimes you just have to credit the opposition player with a fine bit of football. In this case it was a perfect chest down and a booming finish. The other goal is just one of those things, a closed range deflection.

Jackson is a decent enough centre half. Does all that's required of him at this level.

Seveno
29-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Pretty sure the rules of the game state that a deliberate hand ball is only a booking if it interferes with a promising attack. In this case as the ball was going out anyway he’s not preventing an attack therefore a free kick suffices.

The rules are that handball is a cautionable offence if it prevents or interferes with a promising attack or where it is used in an attempt to score a goal. I don’t know where the myth started that it is an automatic yellow card.

AlbertK86
29-01-2020, 08:38 AM
In line at best. I thought he was just off.

Was a yard on at least. Just about right in line with me and linesman was yards off the pace looking at it from a angle.

Ridiculous decision

B.H.F.C
29-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Great play by Shankland to score a cracking goal. Preventable, well maybe if you're a world class defender.

Every goal would be preventable if you micro analyse it. Sometimes you just have to credit the opposition player with a fine bit of football. In this case it was a perfect chest down and a booming finish. The other goal is just one of those things, a closed range deflection.

Jackson is a decent enough centre half. Does all that's required of him at this level.

Was a cracking finish from Shankland but he didn’t do anything remotely world class to make the space. Jackson was yards off. He certainly didn’t do everything expected of him last night IMO. Major improvement needed in that area of the pitch.

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Was a yard on at least. Just about right in line with me and linesman was yards off the pace looking at it from a angle.

Ridiculous decision

Just watched it on HIBS TV and looked tight but on

We score in the next immediate passage of attacking play so all is good

Brightside
29-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Was a cracking finish from Shankland but he didn’t do anything remotely world class to make the space. Jackson was yards off. He certainly didn’t do everything expected of him last night IMO. Major improvement needed in that area of the pitch.

He was a yard off him due to the movement of the striker. It’s a great goal. We aren’t buying anyone any time soon that would have done better.

B.H.F.C
29-01-2020, 09:12 AM
He was a yard off him due to the movement of the striker. It’s a great goal. We aren’t buying anyone any time soon that would have done better.

He was never within a yard. I think we’ve got players at the club already who would have done better. He’s certainly the weakest of our centre halves (and I actually thought he deserved to keep his place after the weekend). But he was brutal last night. His mistake to give them the ball back for the second as well.

wookie70
29-01-2020, 09:16 AM
After watching the highlights Rocky is terrible for the first goal. Poor positioning and should have saved it. Jackson poor for first goal too but otherwise did well.

Peevemor
29-01-2020, 09:24 AM
After watching the highlights Rocky is terrible for the first goal. Poor positioning and should have saved it. Jackson poor for first goal too but otherwise did well.

I don't know if he should have saved it but I've no idea what he was up to either (another comedy fall like Utd's 2nd equaliser at Tannadice?).

One thing for sure is that Maxwell would have been getting pelters on here had it been him.

brog
29-01-2020, 09:27 AM
I not convinced that Allan is low on confidence. I think that those little precision through balls and reverses are brilliant for quick, clever forwards who can steal a yard in behind defenders. I think Doidge lives off headers and throwing himself at scraps in the opposition box. That's no criticism of either player, but I don't think Allan is the man to play behind Doidge alone up front, and Horgan might be better there in that system.

If you're playing Kamberi or Boyle through the middle with Doidge, or even Kamberi alone, Scott has a lot more to aim at, and is a better option than Horgan there.

I think that's a great point. All Scotty's wonder passes for goals this season have been to the likes of Horgan & Boyle. CD could never have scored Martin's opener against Sheep. Again, no criticism of CD intended. It may be that to get the best out of a SA/CD combo Scotty may have to play further forward with sharp little passes in & around the box rather than 20/30 yard wonder balls.

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2020, 09:31 AM

Not his biggest fan but credit where credit due a brilliant save with his feet second half

Shanklands control and execution for the first was top drawer as soon as he controlled it with his chest you just knew it was a goal a real zinger Rocky no chance tremendous pace on the strike

jgl07
29-01-2020, 09:35 AM

I remember Willie Miller being sent off for Hibs in very similar circumstances.

GoalsMcGinley
29-01-2020, 09:37 AM

He lets a championship striker chest it down and turn 20 yards from goal. It’s amateur defending at best. 2nd goal is either a crappy clearance or a dreadful touch. Either way it leads to a goal.

H18S NX
29-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Did the og not come off Newell?

Nicho87
29-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Off topic slightly. Decided to sit in west stand for a change. Mallan and Naismith sat few seats up in executive seats obviously. Mallan was cheering on everything, good to see. Shows he cares. Applauded Whittaker off.

wookie70
29-01-2020, 11:24 AM
He lets a championship striker chest it down and turn 20 yards from goal. It’s amateur defending at best. 2nd goal is either a crappy clearance or a dreadful touch. Either way it leads to a goal.

Allan not tracking his man was a big factor in teh second. He looked like he was thinking about his next threaded pass as he let the UTd boy run past him and into the box. By the time he reacted to the danger it was way too late. Really poor and something he did well with early in the season but seems to have reverted to the player he was in his first spells.

Groathillgrump
29-01-2020, 11:32 AM
I remember Willie Miller being sent off for Hibs in very similar circumstances.

I remember that too. It was a game at Dunfermline and he picked up a second yellow, shortly after getting his first, for jumping up to catch the ball as it was going over his head and out for a throw. One of the stupidest decisions by a player I've ever seen.

superfurryhibby
29-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Baffled by how anyone can reasonably disaqree with this.

As I said , micro analysis and apportioning blame to Jackson. People need a bit of a reality check. Maybe a top quality defender would have stopped Shankland, but it was basically a very well taken goal, end of.

matty_f
29-01-2020, 12:11 PM
The rules are that handball is a cautionable offence if it prevents or interferes with a promising attack or where it is used in an attempt to score a goal. I don’t know where the myth started that it is an automatic yellow card.

Aye, that's fair enough - I moaned a lot about that last night but checked up on the laws and it was right not to book him.

GoalsMcGinley
29-01-2020, 02:46 PM

As I said , micro analysis and apportioning blame to Jackson. People need a bit of a reality check. Maybe a top quality defender would have stopped Shankland, but it was basically a very well taken goal, end of.

It’s not unreasonable to want your central defender to stop the striker turning. If he does that shankland doesn’t score. Simple as that.

jacomo
29-01-2020, 05:24 PM
Great report JB, but a three way tie for man of the match?? A scandal!

erin go bragh
29-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Good report JB but can’t agree with your comments about James .
Think he only made one tackle all game but fell down twice and won a couple of free kicks .
The guy looks like a rabbit facing headlights. He looks like he’s never played right back before .

B.H.F.C
29-01-2020, 05:54 PM

There isn’t any micro analysis on that one. Jackson wasn’t close enough at any point. You could tell by his reaction he knew he’d made a mistake. And you could tell by Paul Hanlon’s reaction towards him that he knew as well.

Greenbeard
29-01-2020, 09:58 PM
Good report as ever and even more enjoyable to read when we have played well - at times anyway. 1st half I was astonished at how lost our defence and midfield looked at times - as if no one really knew what to do or when to do it, is that just me? The Shankland sclaff over the bar - when our defence "forgot" to mark him - has to be the most ludicrous piece of defending we have managed yet this season: comedy gold, everyone in the defence pointing at each other afterwards saying "who's marking Shankland?" (their top goalscorer and only threat).
Good, entertaining cup tie, and we are into the next round - can't complain too much.
Credit where credit is due for Shankland escaping his marker - I think Whittaker, by running towards and sneaking by tight to the right of one of his own men who was being tightly marked, leaving Whittaker who followed his run, to get blocked by the two-man wall in front of him. Clever creation of space for himself.

Greenbeard
29-01-2020, 10:02 PM

Ridiculous decision

Nah. Close call but just off imo per Hibs tv re-run. Maybe hi-tec in-line freeze-frame would show him just on but you can't call it a ridic decision.

Johnny_Leith
29-01-2020, 10:04 PM

Nobody forgot to mark him, utd played a well executed block on Whittaker. Should have really been a foul but hardly ever gets pulled up, it was a well worked set piece if you can get away with them.

greenlex
29-01-2020, 10:14 PM

Blaming him for the second goal is laughable. There’s a hell of a lot of football between that and the strike. How far back do want to take it?

The_Sauz
29-01-2020, 10:29 PM
Blaming him for the second goal is laughable. There’s a hell of a lot of football between that and the strike. How far back do want to take it?
The same goes for the first one, not many keepers would have got that one!

mjhibby
30-01-2020, 06:53 AM
Allan not tracking his man was a big factor in teh second. He looked like he was thinking about his next threaded pass as he let the UTd boy run past him and into the box. By the time he reacted to the danger it was way too late. Really poor and something he did well with early in the season but seems to have reverted to the player he was in his first spells.

Is his diabetes not helping I wonder. As has been said he is not doing his bursts into the box anymore. Once we have a shape the team is happy with and we have cover in front of the defence then Scotty won't have to worry too much about tracking back. Get the correct centre mid partnership and we will lose less goals and Scotty will be far more effective. I'm sure Ross will have a plan how to utilise Scotty best. Not his fault set up of the team wrong all season. Team has done really well considering that.

GoalsMcGinley
30-01-2020, 11:31 AM

Come off if