PDA

View Full Version : Dundee Utd

Diclonius
28-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Decent team. Will do fine next year.

sean04
28-01-2020, 09:26 PM
I think they were alright but if you look at the 2 games overall we should’ve thumped them both times

Since452
28-01-2020, 09:28 PM

Hmm not so sure. Conceded 6 in two games to a mid table premiership team. Big step up for them. Should have been dead and burried at Tannadice. Lose Shankland and they're toiling

28-01-2020, 09:29 PM
Diddy club

Lago
28-01-2020, 09:29 PM
Diddy club
Far from it

CapitalGreen
28-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Diddy club

Diddy

green with envy
28-01-2020, 09:31 PM
Hmm not so sure. Conceded 6 in two games to a mid table premiership team. Big step up for them. Should have been dead and burried at Tannadice. Lose Shankland and they're toiling

They don't defend very well. We should have had at least 3 in the first half before the penalty.

jacomo
28-01-2020, 09:31 PM
They’ve got the right manager for the championship. And a goal machine up front.

Next season will be a different prospect but I certainly don’t begrudge them coming back up.

A real opportunity for a resurgence for Dundee football, which would be good for the scottish game. But they need to make the right decisions.

I’d still like to see League reconstruction though and a thorough overall of the whole set up but that’s a different discussion!

hfc rd
28-01-2020, 09:32 PM
They remind me a bit of what we were like in 2013 when we relied so heavily on Leigh Griffiths. Take Shankland out that team and they don’t have any other threats that you can pinpoint to keep an eye on that could cause us or many of the other premiership teams a problem.

Hibs4185
28-01-2020, 09:32 PM
One man team if ever I saw one. Take shankland out and they’re struggling in the championship.

28-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Hertz lite

Hibeesmad
28-01-2020, 09:35 PM
We showed we are a better team throughout the two games which is expected based on divisions. The team they have just now would be down facing a relegation fight in the Premiership, plenty of signings needed for next season.

B.H.F.C
We should have beaten them up there. We could have scored 12 goals over the two games.

I think how far they are ahead in the league shows how much the championship has weakened in the last couple of years. They’ve got a lot to do to compete in the premiership imo.

Vault Boy
They'll struggle without Shankland, unless they pull a gem from somewhere to replace him. Full of hatchetmen and their defence is dreadful.

Winston Ingram
28-01-2020, 09:37 PM
Diddy club

Brought over 2000 fans. That’s more than St Johnstone, Hamilton and Livingston have at their home games.

Winston Ingram
28-01-2020, 09:37 PM
One man team if ever I saw one. Take shankland out and they’re struggling in the championship.

Tbf, other than his goal I barely noticed him

Souter96Mac
28-01-2020, 09:38 PM
Unless they replace Shankland, I reckon they'll be struggling to stay up next year

HendoDelivered
28-01-2020, 09:41 PM
Will be good to have them back tbh. Add more to the league than your Hamiltons, Ross County’s etc.

Northernhibee
28-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Unless they replace Shankland, I reckon they'll be struggling to stay up next year

Could see them going for Jason Cummings.

Waxy
28-01-2020, 09:48 PM
Shankland utd.

supermcginn
28-01-2020, 09:51 PM
One man team. They are very poor.

Smartie
28-01-2020, 09:51 PM
They know what they need to improve - their defence was dreadful.

Going forward they were decent though, and I thought they had more than just Shankland as a threat.

They’ll go up and stay up but unless they get a new defence they’ll be nowhere near the top six.

Hiber-nation
28-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Agree, plus they'll need to make another 2 or 3 decent signings to survive.

Albanian Hibs
28-01-2020, 09:52 PM
They arent very good. Should have buried them in the first tie. Only scored due to a worldy and ***** defending.

Del Boy
28-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Decent team, good support. They’ll be fine next season and a good addition to the league. Far better to have them in the league than County, Livingston or Hamilton.

BILLYHIBS
28-01-2020, 10:04 PM
Robbie Neilson and Billy Dodds more or less agreeing on BBC Radio Scotland post match that IF they do come up -they still have 14 games to play -they will have to revamp their squad and bring in premier league standard players

Tonight’s game and last Sunday’s was a good test of where they are now and where they need to be

I thought Robbie Neilson spoke very well

It was an exciting game tonight but I kept telling people round about me to relax as we kept creating chances it should have been 3-1 to us at half time and the goals will come and so it proved as their defence was worse than ours if that is at all possible and they were too reliant on Shankland where we had other outlets Boyle Horgan Allan Newall and Steven Whittaker for example creating two good chances for himself

Sir David Gray
28-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Strange how different people see things differently, I don't think they're very good at all and will struggle next season. They're likely to lose Shankland in the summer and will need to try and replace him which is almost impossible on their budget.

Without some big investment, I can see them being in a relegation scrap next year.

Brightside
28-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Utd are good going forward and i liked the big number 4 in the middle. Not the strongest at the back though. We should have got a few more tonight.

Carheenlea
28-01-2020, 10:18 PM
They took a gamble on Shankland and realistically can’t afford to keep him (pay him), but it’s a gamble that’s payed off and they will recoup their outlay and make a decent sum on top when he is sold. If they can use the transfer fee to fund two or three players they might be able to hold their own, and Neilson pretty much accepted post match that the side would need some surgery to establish themselves back in the top flight.
I hope they can do as they will be a good addition to the SPFL.

calumhibee1
28-01-2020, 10:19 PM
Strange how different people see things differently, I don't think they're very good at all and will struggle next season. They're likely to lose Shankland in the summer and will need to try and replace him which is almost impossible on their budget.

Without some big investment, I can see them being in a relegation scrap next year.

I agree.

Without Shankland they’d be the whipping boys in the top tier.

Del Boy
28-01-2020, 10:23 PM
I agree.

Without Shankland they’d be the whipping boys in the top tier.

Obviously shankland would be a massive loss but I don’t think they’d be the whipping boys, comfortably be a match for likes of St Johnstone, Hamilton, St Mirren, County and Hearts IMO.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2020, 10:28 PM
Obviously shankland would be a massive loss but I don’t think they’d be the whipping boys, comfortably be a match for likes of St Johnstone, Hamilton, St Mirren, County and Hearts IMO.

If Hearts play like they did on Sunday, Dundee Utd wouldn't get near them.

Hamilton's first half performance last week was also far better than anything I saw from Dundee Utd over the last 180 minutes.

Shankland will go soon and from what I've seen of them, they don't have much else in their current squad of any real quality.

They'll be in a relegation fight next season without some serious investment.

tamig
28-01-2020, 10:30 PM
Decent team, good support. They’ll be fine next season and a good addition to the league. Far better to have them in the league than County, Livingston or Hamilton.

Why do you tar Ross County with the same brush as the other two? They’re remarkably well supported for a very small town club and their attendances are much healthier.

Del Boy
28-01-2020, 10:33 PM
Why do you tar Ross County with the same brush as the other two? They’re remarkably well supported for a very small town club and their attendances are much healthier.

Rather have 2,000 away fans at Easter Rd than 200. Yeah County very well supported for the size of Dingwall but I’d rather have the biggest teams in the top flight, just adds to the atmosphere at games and makes the league more appealing. Just my opinion.

Billy Whizz
28-01-2020, 10:33 PM

But we need teams to bring a support to ER, unfortunately due to geography and population, County can’t do that, and never will

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2020, 10:41 PM
They played well in patches and certainly got round the back of our defence more than I for one would have liked. But the fact is they lost 6 goals in the two matches to a Hibs team who aren't exactly banging them in in the league, it could have been even more but for a couple of woeful attempts by Whittaker when he was put clean through. That defence would get them relegated from the top league.

Having said that at least they gave it a go in both games, which made for good entertainment, and they brought an away support half the clubs in the premiership could only dream of. And from a personal point of view .. at least they played in their home strip, I'm heartily sick of practically every team I see against Hibs at ER playing in sodding blue

Shrekko
28-01-2020, 10:44 PM
United are a terrific club and have been missed in the top league - will always be an attractive fixture.

monktonharp
28-01-2020, 10:47 PM
They’ll go up and stay up but unless they get a new defence they’ll be nowhere near the top six. while you're on that , talking of teams that need a new defence...……………………………..:rolleyes:

ekhibee
28-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Disagree with some of the posters on here, I think they're a good team, but it's obvious that they need to get a better defence for when they get promoted. At times they looked dangerous, but I don't know if that's just because we've got a **** defence too. A brilliant away support considering it was a Tuesday night. Don't have a problem with DU, they should be in the top league and they will be next season.

CMurdoch
28-01-2020, 11:24 PM
Between the striker and the goalkeeper they had 9 very average players in both legs.

The best thing I can say about them is they had 6 chances over the 2 games and scored 4 goals which is very impressive and probably the reason they are so far ahead of the rest of the Championship this season.

Their fans will be a great addition to the top league next season and I hope they can at least survive but that will require bringing in a handful of 1st eleven players given that i thought them poorer than any SPFL team we have faced this season.

Once we eventually scored our 1st goal tonight I was able to relax and enjoy the game knowing we were going to win.

California-Hibs
29-01-2020, 03:43 AM
Meh, they're alright. However could easily have been thumped 4-2 in each game.

Scouse Hibee
29-01-2020, 05:38 AM
They’re a decent side with decent support and will be a welcome addition back in the top tier.

macca70
29-01-2020, 06:49 AM
I was surprised at how poor United were, we weren’t great especially 1st half and we scored 4. Our defence was shambolic, I reckon most SPL teams would have beat us last night.

Shankland’s goal was outstanding, he’s clearly the difference between United and rest of the Championship.

Excellent support, would rather have them in the league than Hamilton, Livi, St Johnstone, or St Mirren

The Harp Awakes
29-01-2020, 06:56 AM
They’re a decent side with decent support and will be a welcome addition back in the top tier.

Correct. Hamilton out and Dundee United in would be good. As Scottish football goes, they're a decent bunch and Tannadice is a good day out.

PeeJay
29-01-2020, 06:58 AM
Thought United had a very good 1st half, they passed the ball about well and created a few decent openings (not difficult with our defence) 2nd half we made it more difficult for them, but overall I thought they gave a decent account of themselves - let's not forget, they made us look distinctly average at times, think they will do well in the upper league when they come back up and strengthen their squad.

Since452
29-01-2020, 07:01 AM
Dundee United can stay where they are imo. The money they are paying in wages will potentially take signing targets away from us in the Premiership. Unfortunately looks a very likely they're coming up

Hibee Mac
29-01-2020, 07:08 AM
They'll need a large overhaul to stay up. Once Shankland is gone they are full of championship players at best I reckon.

jacomo
29-01-2020, 08:06 AM

Unfortunately, last time they were in the top flight apathy set in and the Arabs were allowing away fans half of Tannadice, because their own crowd stopped turning up.

Let’s hope they sustain these higher crowds next time around.

G B Young
29-01-2020, 08:28 AM
They irritate me for some reason. Possibly their fans - and I was glad when watching last night's highlights to see Allan have a wee dig at them after scoring.

I used to like them back in the 80s when they were an extraordinary side under Jim McLean but have grown to dislike them and have quite enjoyed their four year absence from the top flight.

In saying that I'd happily see them come up at Hearts' expense :agree:

hibstag
29-01-2020, 08:35 AM

the Facts differ so I am challenging this statement two of the teams mentioned have won the league cup more recently than hearts (beating us in the finals) the other relegated us. all three all have competed with and beaten this fabled better team Dundee united (Hamilton, Livingston in a play off - shudder) county topped the league for months to get back to the premiership at the first time of asking . so who is premier league standard? its not 4 years in the championship Dundee united...

as an aside we need the variance of these 'wee teams' in the premiership Ross County I feel are up with us big boys on merit steady progress since they were introduced into the league and decent sized crowds for their location and 'status' it also a great away day oot i.e. a decent team and a good support which meets your criteria

I will contradict myself and say that now here Hamilton and Livi don't offer much to the league overall but are here on merit frustrating as the Hamilton yearly survival act is

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2020, 08:35 AM
They irritate me for some reason. Possibly their fans - and I was glad when watching last night's highlights to see Allan have a wee dig at them after scoring.

I used to like them back in the 80s when they were an extraordinary side under Jim McLean but have grown to dislike them and have quite enjoyed their four year absence from the top flight.

In saying that I'd happily see them come up at Hearts' expense :agree:

:agree:

The sense of entitlement that their fans had must have taken a wee dent in the four seasons they have been down

I remember a few years back two of their fans telling me to enjoy my night oot when we were in the Championship and they were in the SPL before a League Cup tie at Easter Road

HIBS won!

Like you I can never take to them but admired their brilliant side of the early eighties

GIRFUY!

:na na:

Diclonius
29-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Celtic
Rangers
Hibs
Hearts
Aberdeen
Kilmarnock
Dundee
Motherwell
St Mirren
Dundee Utd
Dunfermline
Falkirk

This would be the top flight if based solely on attendances.

G B Young
29-01-2020, 08:58 AM
Rather have 2,000 away fans at Easter Rd than 200. Yeah County very well supported for the size of Dingwall but I’d rather have the biggest teams in the top flight, just adds to the atmosphere at games and makes the league more appealing. Just my opinion.

I wasn't at the game but having just watched the highlights that looked like by far the biggest United support I can recall seeing at ER for many years. They usually bring a pretty poor following and there's no way there will be anywhere close to 2,000 of them attending next time we play them in the top flight.

As others have said, they have been pretty pathetic in the Championship until this season. We had Rangers and Hearts to contend with whereas the only season United had a bigger club down there with them was the season we won the league. If they were as big a club as they like to think they are they'd have made a better stab at beating the likes of St Mirren and Ross County to the title.

whiskyhibby
29-01-2020, 09:02 AM

don’t see it personally, they could easily have been skelped both games and to be honest HAMILTON at ER in the first half were streets ahead of them, if they get up they will need dramatic improvement, particularly if they sell Shankland

CockneyRebel
29-01-2020, 09:32 AM
They know what they need to improve - their defence was dreadful.

Going forward they were decent though, and I thought they had more than just Shankland as a threat.

They’ll go up and stay up but unless they get a new defence they’ll be nowhere near the top six.

Works for us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Decent side and are showing it by being so far ahead in the Championship.

Northernhibee
29-01-2020, 09:47 AM
Celtic
Rangers
Hibs
Hearts
Aberdeen
Kilmarnock
Dundee
Motherwell
St Mirren
Dundee Utd
Dunfermline
Falkirk

This would be the top flight if based solely on attendances.

Aberdeen are a joke. One team city, easy location to get to and they can’t be arsed turning out for them.

Waxy
29-01-2020, 10:46 AM
Aberdeen are a joke. One team city, easy location to get to and they can’t be arsed turning out for them.

One city team until Cove Rangers promotion.

DH1875
29-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Utd won't bring anything like 2k fans for league games next season. It's like us taking 3k to there place. Cup yes, league no.
They also won't see us as a free hit and won't play anything like they did last night. Probably come to ER and play for the draw.