PDA

View Full Version : NHC 25 Years Ago This Week

Pretty Boy
28-01-2020, 04:05 PM
The (in)famous kung fu kick at Selhurst Park.

I was 8 at the time and remember thinking it was the funniest thing I had ever seen in a football ground. As a more mature sort these days I still think it's a brilliantly iconic moment. The article below is an interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/25/eric-cantona-kung-fu-kick-hooligan-25-years-later

It's interesting to consider how much greater the hysteria would be if such a thing happened today, consider the outcry over a piece of tape being flicked into the stand just last week . The comment of Ian Wright is noteworthy, it's probably a minor miracle more players don't react to the abuse they are subjected to.

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2020, 04:14 PM
I was in my early 20s and Cantona was by far my favourite player.

I still rank him up there with one of the best I've ever seen in the flesh.

Gutted that he retired so early, but man, what a player.

Pretty sure he scored the winner against Liverpool when he came back after his 100 match ban or whatever it was.

If it wasn't for Cantona, Utd would never have dominated the 90s in the way they did. He was the catalyst that started it all going for Fergie.

Absolute legend.

BILLYHIBS
28-01-2020, 05:00 PM
HIBS content:

28/01/1995

Scottish Cup R3

Montrose 0 v 2 HIBS

Leighton, Miller, Mitchell, McGinley, Tweed and Farrell, McAllister, Evans, Wright, Jackson and Tortolano

Sub: Billy Findlay

Goalscorers: Goals McGinley and Darren Jackson

Dave Taxi for Farrell sent off straight red

Its an omen guys

scoopyboy
28-01-2020, 05:09 PM
HIBS content:

28/01/1995

Scottish Cup R3

Montrose 0 v 2 HIBS

Leighton, Miller, Mitchell, McGinley, Tweed and Farrell, McAllister, Evans, Wright, Jackson and Tortolano

Sub: Billy Findlay

Goalscorers: Goals McGinley and Darren Jackson

Dave Taxi for Farrell sent off straight red

Its an omen guys

East Lothian Hibs were booked into the Glaxo Club in Montrose that day, one of the best clubs weve been to.

Liberal Hibby
28-01-2020, 05:31 PM
The (in)famous kung fu kick at Selhurst Park.

I was 8 at the time and remember thinking it was the funniest thing I had ever seen in a football ground. As a more mature sort these days I still think it's a brilliantly iconic moment. The article below is an interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/25/eric-cantona-kung-fu-kick-hooligan-25-years-later

It's interesting to consider how much greater the hysteria would be if such a thing happened today, consider the outcry over a piece of tape being flicked into the stand just last week . The comment of Ian Wright is noteworthy, it's probably a minor miracle more players don't react to the abuse they are subjected to.

Also recreated in lego: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqJRrHeH6NA

:greengrin

Pagan Hibernia
28-01-2020, 11:08 PM
Eric Cantona. Poet, rebel, bohemian, enigma. There have been better players, but few as fascinating. The kind of unpredictable character the modern game tries it’s best to tame as soon as possible. I loved him.

ive often let my imagination run wild and thought what might have happened, had he decided a year or two after retiring that he couldn’t live without football and joined his former teammate Sauzee north of the border for a last fling without the commercial, corporate nonsense he was sick of at old Trafford . oh how our lives would have been enriched

Smartie
28-01-2020, 11:12 PM
I can’t stand Man Utd but I loved everything about Cantona.

He was a bit bonkers but absolutely brilliant.

That dinked lob thing he did was one of the best goals I ever saw.