PDA

View Full Version : NHC Poor, poor Liverpool FC

KingPat4
27-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Klopp already saying it will a full reserve team that take on Shrewsbury in the FA Cup replay.

You really have to feel for those poor boys picking up their millions in wages being asked to play in a football match because they are 'Tired'. It's cheating, plain and simple. If Liverpool don't want to play in the FA or League Cup, then don't enter the competitions.

How many domestic cups have they won in the last thirty years? Five, and only one, yes, one, in the last seventeen years.

Will be glad when they go back to being hammered 6-0 by Stoke City.

:crazy:

Since90+2
27-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Poor show by Liverpool.

They've rightly been showered with praise for being an outstanding side with a great manager but they should be hammered for that.

HoboHarry
27-01-2020, 04:08 PM
Klopp already saying it will a full reserve team that take on Shrewsbury in the FA Cup replay.

You really have to feel for those poor boys picking up their millions in wages being asked to play in a football match because they are 'Tired'. It's cheating, plain and simple. If Liverpool don't want to play in the FA or League Cup, then don't enter the competitions.

How many domestic cups have they won in the last thirty years? Five, and only one, yes, one, in the last seventeen years.

Nonsense. The amount of games these players are being asked to play in a season is absurd and it seems like someone in England has a hamstring pop every week. Even the likes of Andy Robertson looks tired to me for example.

theonlywayisup
27-01-2020, 04:10 PM

Personally, don't see what the problem is.

If someone said to me "we're going to have a mid-season break" at work, then I would be arranging a week away to re-charge my batteries with the family, most likely go away to a sunnier & warmer climate. If my employer then says that I've got to cancel the holiday because of an extra appointment then I think I would be pretty pissed off.

Since90+2
27-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Nonsense. The amount of games these players are being asked to play in a season is absurd and it seems like someone in England has a hamstring pop every week. Even the likes of Andy Robertson looks tired to me for example.

Don't think there's a risk of Klopp getting injured though.

KingPat4
27-01-2020, 04:11 PM

That's why they get paid so much. If you can't stand the heat....,

Pathetic.

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 04:14 PM

If someone said to me "we're going to have a mid-season break" at work, then I would be arranging a week away to re-charge my batteries with the family, most likely go away to a sunnier & warmer climate. If my employer then says that I've got to cancel the holiday because of an extra appointment then I think I would be pretty pissed off.

Exactly, especially when the FA will be getting paid an absolute fortune for hosting the Euros which Liverpool players will be predominantly active in.

WeeRussell
I don't think it's cheating whatever it is :confused:

HoboHarry

Pathetic.
OK you seem to be on an anti-Liverpool thing. I'm out as there is no sense in your posts and little chance of sensible debate.

DTS
27-01-2020, 04:16 PM
Liverpool playing a weaker team is cheating? Surely that benefits everyone else bar them. Add to the fact there’s a euros and a cops America in the summer a week off could be key for almost all Liverpool players as there is a high chance they will only have 2 weeks max off in the summer. Sadio mane for example has had 2 weeks off in 2 years.

HoboHarry
27-01-2020, 04:16 PM
Don't think there's a risk of Klopp getting injured though.
I have no idea what relevance that has to the debate.

hibsbollah
27-01-2020, 04:17 PM

Pathetic.

Because you get well paid does that mean you lose the right to have time off? The player becomes a sort of slave to ever more football, all the time, forever?

Klopps argument stands up, they were told not to schedule any friendlies by the premier league who wanted to have a winter break to allow player rest, then the governing body break the agreement at the first time of asking by making them play the replay in the middle of the break that they have just agreed?:dunno:

I think Klopp could attend the replay himself though, he's on shakier ground there.

neil7908
27-01-2020, 04:18 PM
Not Liverpools fault. Read the FA guidelines on the mid season break:

"Clubs should not arrange competitive or friendly matches with other clubs during the mid-season player break"

So why have the FA allowed a competitive match to be played in this time? Completely ridiculous.

There's a lot made about modern players being soft and pampered but I'd bet your current top level footballer plays more minutes than ever before.

theonlywayisup
27-01-2020, 04:20 PM

"Clubs should not arrange competitive or friendly matches with other clubs during the mid-season player break"

So why have the FA allowed a competitive match to be played in this time? Completely ridiculous.

There's a lot made about modern players being soft and pampered but I'd bet your current top level footballer plays more minutes than ever before.

Agree, best to close down this thread now. Not Liverpool's fault at all.

dar
27-01-2020, 04:21 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51256760

Premier league says not to arrange fixtures during winter break then FA decide to arrange fixtures.during the break.

Northernhibee
27-01-2020, 04:22 PM

They're competing in what, five competitions this year? I don't know what relevance their salary is, they're professional athletes and if they pick up injuries then they're no use to the team.

Some of the reserve players in the fringes of the squad should be enough to compete and it's a good way for them to assess younger players.

You sound oddly, oddly bitter about Liverpool football club.

KingPat4
27-01-2020, 04:23 PM
OK you seem to be on an anti-Liverpool thing. I'm out as there is no sense in your posts and little chance of sensible debate.

Not true. Most of best friends are Liverpool fans - all English and from the area. They certainly won't agree with me, obviously.

Let's remember Shrewsbury Town in all of this. It will put a damper on the replay for their fans and may mean less than a full house at Anfield and less cash for the club

Mind you, even with £100m worth of talent on the pitch, they still could not despatch a lowly third division club.

What is it with Liverpool? Why are they so beyond critisism?

:confused:

Since90+2
27-01-2020, 04:25 PM
I have no idea what relevance that has to the debate.

The arguement being put forward is the players are at danger of being injured due to overplaying.

Not sure why Klopp can't be there to manage the team though.

superfurryhibby
27-01-2020, 04:26 PM
Liverpool are only adhering to the League rules. Not an issue, shame the FA cup is so devalued though. Should be extra time and pens, that would help.

jacomo
27-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Partly due to nonsense like the club World Cup (mickey mouse money maker) and lucrative pre season tours being prioritised.

Liverpool seem able to bring all their big stars to those.

Lago
27-01-2020, 04:31 PM
The players yes but disrespectful of Klopp to be absent.

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 04:32 PM
Not true. Most of best friends are Liverpool fans - all English and from the area. They certainly won't agree with me, obviously.

Let's remember Shrewsbury Town in all of this. It will put a damper on the replay for their fans and may mean less than a full house at Anfield and less cash for the club

Mind you, even with £100m worth of talent on the pitch, they still could not despatch a lowly third division club.

What is it with Liverpool? Why are they so beyond critisism?

:confused:

So you’re a Shrewsbury fan then?

They got told by the epl not to arrange friendlies for the mental wellbeing of the players during the break, the FA, who stand to make 100s if millions in the summer have told them now to play during that week. I actually think it’s amazing man management by Klopp.

Anfield will still be packed and Shrewsbury will get more tv money and more of a chance to win the tie.

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Close the thread down?

Who the **** are you? God?

Imagine he was, nae heaven for you son 😁

Haymaker
27-01-2020, 04:35 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51256760

Premier league says not to arrange fixtures during winter break then FA decide to arrange fixtures.during the break.

The Premier League and FA are two separate bodies.

The Premier League say have a week off but surely it is earmarked that FA cup replays will be held on this date. Forward plan just in case!

B.H.F.C
27-01-2020, 05:01 PM

Are those the guidelines of the FA or the Premier League?

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 05:03 PM

Have you heard his statement? I have and though I don’t agree with it I never heard him say anyone was tired.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 05:07 PM
The arguement being put forward is the players are at danger of being injured due to overplaying.

Not sure why Klopp can't be there to manage the team though.

No it’s not that argument at all!

Listen to Klopp’s statement.

Since452
27-01-2020, 05:10 PM

I might be wrong of course but I'm sure you aren't earning 100k per week. They can man up as far as I'm concerned

Northernhibee
27-01-2020, 05:11 PM

Pathetic.

So, arguments for this:

- Help avoid injuries to key players
- Allows fringe players an opportunity to impress and break through to the first team
- Makes a point about the number of matches that players are expected to play.

Your argument against it:

- They get paid a lot of money which should make them superhuman and impervious to wear and tear.

MWHIBBIES
27-01-2020, 05:19 PM

What a stupid post.

having loads of money doesn't make you happy. It also doesn't make you immune to injuries so its utter irrelevant. It isn't cheating in the slighest.

They've also won at least 2 domestic cups in the last 17 years so thats also rubbish. 2006 FA Cup and a league cup under Dalglish?

Playing 60 games a season is mental, Klopp quite right to rotate and the results show that. Guy is a genius and managing his squad through a crazy time perfectly.

hibsbollah
27-01-2020, 05:23 PM
I might be wrong of course but I'm sure you aren't earning 100k per week. They can man up as far as I'm concerned

We've already established that how much you get paid doesn't affect your right to have a break.

Jack Hackett
27-01-2020, 05:23 PM
So, arguments for this:

- Allows fringe players an opportunity to impress and break through to the first team

- They get paid a lot of money which should make them superhuman and impervious to wear and tear.

Just wasted 5 mins on a comment making exactly those points. So instead of posting, I'll just give this a

+1

HoboHarry
27-01-2020, 05:24 PM
We've already established that how much you get paid doesn't affect your right to have a break.
Or prevent injuries.

jgl07
27-01-2020, 05:41 PM

Well they should rotate then as other clubs manage to do. Come to think of it they do. So what are the moans about?

Ever since Klopp has arrived, Liverpool have treated the FA Cup and the EFL Cup with contempt by fielding weakened sides and sometimes youth teams and often went out at the first opportunity. Last season, Liverpool played far fewer matches than other sides such as Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, despite getting to a CL Final.

Liverpool played 53 matches last season as against 61 for Manchester City and 63 for Chelsea. Arsenal played 58 and Spurs 56.

Weegreenman
27-01-2020, 05:45 PM
Pipe doon, Klopp is GOD.

YMWA

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 05:55 PM
I would rather that clubs who have no interest in the FA cup or the League Cup don’t enter them at all. Either that or they have to register a “cup” squad and honour every round using that squad. As someone who grew up watching Liverpool win the lot it pisses me off enourmesly that we don’t give a **** about either cup anymore.

Wakeyhibee
27-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Sad fact is the FA cup is devalued as Europe & the League offers more money. It's been going that way since Man U took leave to play in South America years ago.

Cant blame them it's the modern game. What do you do play a decent side and risk next years income?

hibsbollah
27-01-2020, 06:01 PM
I would rather that clubs who have no interest in the FA cup or the League Cup don’t enter them at all. Either that or they have to register a “cup” squad and honour every round using that squad. As someone who grew up watching Liverpool win the lot it pisses me off enourmesly that we don’t give a **** about either cup anymore.

I think that's a good idea. It's already written into some 2nd choice goalkeepers contracts that they are first choice for the cups, when that club doesn't have a cup as their main priority. There's no reason why the top teams couldn't have the Shaqiris at Liverpool or the Foley's at City contracturally guaranteed cup action. Still fairly big names looking to impress.

mixumatosis
27-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Pipe doon, Klopp is GOD.

YMWA

You'll maybe walk alone ?

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 06:10 PM
Pipe doon, Klopp is GOD.

YMWA

No, that would be Stubbsy. 👍

neil7908
27-01-2020, 06:18 PM
Are those the guidelines of the FA or the Premier League?

That's a good point. Although on the other hand, the Premier League are putting in rules that are impossible for their members to follow.

Whoever is at fault here, its not Liverpool. They haven't scheduled any games or broken any rules.

Stevie Reid
27-01-2020, 06:19 PM
Aside from the conflict regarding scheduling, I can’t be arsed when any successful team complains about the number of games they have to play. It goes hand in hand with being successful.

Since90+2
27-01-2020, 06:25 PM
What an arrogant attitude!, do you really think you will keep this up in seasons to come?, what you gonna do when klopp beats it to Bayern?

Dream on.

Think you've picked up his point wrong. From what I can tell he wants Liverpool to take it seriously.

jacomo
27-01-2020, 06:26 PM
So, arguments for this:

It’s a question of priorities. Ridiculous to argue otherwise.

The big clubs want complete freedom to organise lucrative long haul tours of their key ‘territories’ and then complain about long established cup competitions which, by the way, help to redistribute income to smaller clubs.

The EPL obviously doesn’t care about anything except itself.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 06:26 PM
What an arrogant attitude!, do you really think you will keep this up in seasons to come?, what you gonna do when klopp beats it to Bayern?

Dream on.

I have amended my response as this has now been cleared up, no hard feelings H-0762 👍

weecounty hibby
27-01-2020, 06:36 PM
Sadly that's where we are in modern football. The teams at the top of the EPL would rather qualify for Europe as it's more money than winning a cup. Those at the bottom would rather stay in the EPL as it's more money than winning a cup. Those at the top of the championship would rather gain promotion as there's more money in that than winning a cup. See the connection? I agree with you totally. As someone who has supported Hibs all my life the FA cup usually had more interest for me than the Scottish cup. Sad to see how the English clubs now treat the FA cup

B.H.F.C
27-01-2020, 06:39 PM
That's a good point. Although on the other hand, the Premier League are putting in rules that are impossible for their members to follow.

Whoever is at fault here, its not Liverpool. They haven't scheduled any games or broken any rules.

I’ve not read anything but are they actual rules, or have the Premier League just asked that teams respect the break?

Liverpool have got plenty first team squad players, that played yesterday, that could probably do with the 90 minutes.

MWHIBBIES
27-01-2020, 06:40 PM

Dream on.

Klopp is German
Bayern are German

He must want to go there

:faf:

Sir David Gray
27-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Dream on.

How was it arrogant? :confused:

The guy's criticising Liverpool (his own club) for deciding that they'll field a weakened team in their replay v Shrewsbury.

I totally agree with his stance. He doesn't like that big clubs in England devalue the two domestic cups these days and I can't see how that can be construed as arrogant.

Keith_M
27-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Klopp is German
Bayern are German

He must want to go there

:faf:

Not if they can sign Stendl first.

Keith_M
27-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Well said.

:aok:

Since452
27-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Klopp must be pissing himself. He's done everything to try and get knocked out the FA cup but still going strong. Sad it's come to this but that's modern football. A once brilliant competition is just an inconvenience now. So glad it isn't that way up here

HoboHarry
27-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Klopp must be pissing himself. He's done everything to try and get knocked out the FA cup but still going strong. Sad it's come to this but that's modern football. A once brilliant competition is just an inconvenience now. So glad it isn't that way up here
Aye, apparently they now have two diddy cups opposed to our one..... :greengrin

Fergos
27-01-2020, 06:51 PM
Partly due to nonsense like the club World Cup (mickey mouse money maker) and lucrative pre season tours being prioritised.

Liverpool seem able to bring all their big stars to those.

Excellent point, I’d rather clubs made a bigger issue about those games than their domestic competitions but £ is king.

GGTTH

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 07:25 PM
I totally disagree with that as it would completely devalue the competition even more than it presently has. These big clubs in England have big enough squads, they should stop moaning and get on with it. If Klopp wants to play a reserve team he should do just that without making statements or comments about it. The fans love the cup and they’ll be there once Klopp has gone. I love watching Liverpool under Klopp, but I totally disagree with his stance on this.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 07:28 PM
I totally disagree with that as it would completely devalue the competition even more than it presently has. These big clubs in England have big enough squads, they should stop moaning and get on with it. If Klopp wants to play a reserve team he should do just that without making statements or comments about it. The fans love the cup and they’ll be there once Klopp has gone. I love watching Liverpool under Klopp, but I totally disagree with his stance on this.

Not sure how you devalue a cup comp any more than he has already done by announcing that his entire first team squad including himself will take no part! Forcing them to name a cup squad would at least ensure consistency through the rounds regardless of the opposition, the current way they are treating it is a farce in my opinion. Liverpool have taken it to the extreme this season but many other clubs also throw in youngsters depending on the opposition.

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 07:33 PM
Not sure how you devalue a cup comp any more than he has already done by announcing that his entire first team squad including himself will take no part!
By not taking part at all. We all know it won’t be the reserves in the latter rounds, especially if they get knocked out of Europe. The league will be won long before the final so the priorities could change. The last thing you want is the premier cup competition being reduced to a trophy for lower league teams.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 07:34 PM
By not taking part at all. We all know it won’t be the reserves in the latter rounds, especially if they get knocked out of Europe. The league will be won long before the final so the priorities could change. The last thing you want is the premier cup competition being reduced to a trophy for lower league teams.

That’s why my suggestion of a cup squad would ensure more consistency.

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 07:41 PM
That’s why my suggestion of a cup squad would ensure more consistency.
I don’t think it needs consistency, it just needs people to stop complaining. Everyone understands the predicament Klopp finds himself in, he should just do what he needs to do.

MWHIBBIES
27-01-2020, 07:41 PM

Look at the past 10 winners of the FA Cup, it isn't even remotely a cup for lower league teams.

The Leith Dutch
27-01-2020, 07:43 PM

Klopp has both a job and a reputation to maintain.

The job is to assemble a team to compete at the very top end of the game and win trophies.
His reputation is to have players who believe in him and commit all their energy in a high tempo playing style that wins games.

Both those things will be compromised when you start playing 2 to 3 games every week.

He wouldn't be doing his job as a manager if he didn't flag things that were going to have a negative impact on his staff
and affect his success in the job he's doing and his reputation.

The fact that football players are paid way more than regular jobs and Liverpool players are paid at the higher end of football players is a completely separate topic.

They're paid to do a certain thing and that thing not being as tiring as a Nurse's job yet way more highly paid is, however unfair it may be, irrelevant to the matter at hand.

I would prefer that footballers were playing at the best of their abilities as often as possible and also that the bigger clubs didn't wind up acquiring a huge amount of the best players which they rotate - I'd prefer to see them more evenly distributed rather than players like Mahrez - who would walk into a number of teams - sitting on the bench half the time.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 07:43 PM
I don’t think it needs consistency, it just needs people to stop complaining. Everyone understands the predicament Klopp finds himself in, he should just do what he needs to do.

I disagree, he has taken it to the extremes so it was always going to attract attention.

Northernhibee
27-01-2020, 07:45 PM
It’s a question of priorities. Ridiculous to argue otherwise.

The big clubs want complete freedom to organise lucrative long haul tours of their key ‘territories’ and then complain about long established cup competitions which, by the way, help to redistribute income to smaller clubs.

The EPL obviously doesn’t care about anything except itself.

Jurgen Klopp's job is to get Liverpool winning as much as possible, it's not his job to look after the finances of lower league teams. He's putting out a team that he'll believe should be strong enough to get through the tie.

People saying "But they do big pre-season friendly tours" miss the point - that's after a long-ish summer break and builds match fitness into the team. This is already after they've competed in the Club World Championship, that European Super Cup thing, half of the EPL whilst only dropping two points and the League Cup up to that point. Rest is an important part of being an elite athlete and if he sees fit to rest his key players to allow them to compete for the rest of the season at the highest level, then that's his job.

If that's not the best thing for Shrewsbury then that's a shame, and there's also an argument as to why he's not going to be in the dugout, but those are other issues.

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 07:46 PM
I disagree, he has taken it to the extremes so it was always going to attract attention.
If they get to the final and all the big guns are playing no one will care.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 07:49 PM
If they get to the final and all the big guns are playing no one will care.

They won’t get to the final, absolutely no chance, that’s my issue.

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 08:19 PM
They won’t get to the final, absolutely no chance, that’s my issue.
You can’t say that for certain. They’ll be huge favourites to win the replay and after that you never know. They could get knocked out of Europe in the next round and that would change things. Who have you got in the next round?

jacomo
27-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Jurgen Klopp's job is to get Liverpool winning as much as possible, it's not his job to look after the finances of lower league teams. He's putting out a team that he'll believe should be strong enough to get through the tie.

People saying "But they do big pre-season friendly tours" miss the point - that's after a long-ish summer break and builds match fitness into the team. This is already after they've competed in the Club World Championship, that European Super Cup thing, half of the EPL whilst only dropping two points and the League Cup up to that point. Rest is an important part of being an elite athlete and if he sees fit to rest his key players to allow them to compete for the rest of the season at the highest level, then that's his job.

If that's not the best thing for Shrewsbury then that's a shame, and there's also an argument as to why he's not going to be in the dugout, but those are other issues.

If pre season was about fitness they wouldn’t do so much travelling.

Even winter training camps are being organised with sponsors in mind these days. The top clubs have an insatiable demand for money and need saving from themselves to be honest.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2020, 08:32 PM
You can’t say that for certain. They’ll be huge favourites to win the replay and after that you never know. They could get knocked out of Europe in the next round and that would change things. Who have you got in the next round?

They have Atletico Madrid next.

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-01-2020, 08:34 PM
I have amended my response as this has now been cleared up, no hard feelings H-0762 👍

👍

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 08:36 PM
They have Atletico Madrid next.
I was meaning next in the FA cup, but that will be a very tough tie to get through in Europe. If they go out of Europe the cup will become more of a priority given their massive lead in the league.

Hibeesmad
27-01-2020, 08:37 PM
I was meaning next in the FA cup, but that will be a very tough tie to get through in Europe. If they go out of Europe the cup will become more of a priority given their massive lead in the league.

Chelsea away

Pagan Hibernia
27-01-2020, 08:42 PM
Really don’t understand the fuss

every club has the right to play as strong or as weak a team as they want in my opinion.

if Liverpool get knocked out as a result so be it, good for Shrewsbury. If they still win even with a reserve/youth team, good for Liverpool.

not Klopps fault the FA Cup is dying on its arse. He wants the league and the champions league. Understandably so.

(That said if we get past Dundee Utd and JR is thinking of playing a weaker team in the next round he can f*** right off!)

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 08:43 PM

No one,Shrewsbury will play Chelsea

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 09:26 PM
No one,Shrewsbury will play Chelsea
I doubt that very much.

B.H.F.C
27-01-2020, 09:31 PM

They won’t be favourites for the replay. It’s not a fringe team he’s talking about playing, it’s the under 18s.

Their fringe team yesterday still included Champions League winners, Brazilian internationals and someone who has played a World Cup final. The team they put out in the replay is going to be nothing like that. It’ll be the type that was 4-0 down to Aston Villa at half time when they played.

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 09:43 PM
They won’t be favourites for the replay. It’s not a fringe team he’s talking about playing, it’s the under 18s.

Their fringe team yesterday still included Champions League winners, Brazilian internationals and someone who has played a World Cup final. The team they put out in the replay is going to be nothing like that. It’ll be the type that was 4-0 down to Aston Villa at half time when they played.
They won’t be playing a team anywhere in the same league as Villa though.

B.H.F.C
27-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Of course not but Liverpool 18s won’t be heavy favourites against a league one team.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2020, 09:54 PM

Their second XI couldn't beat Shrewsbury despite being given a 2 goal headstart.

What chance have their youth team got? :greengrin

lord bunberry
27-01-2020, 09:55 PM
Their second XI couldn't beat Shrewsbury despite being given a 2 goal headstart.

A good one

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2020, 10:25 PM

No chance.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2020, 10:29 PM
No chance.

Hope so pal. :wink:

Northernhibee
28-01-2020, 09:28 AM
If pre season was about fitness they wouldn’t do so much travelling.

Even winter training camps are being organised with sponsors in mind these days. The top clubs have an insatiable demand for money and need saving from themselves to be honest.

Match fitness is the entire point of pre-season. If they can also make profit from it, then that's good business as well as good squad management as opposed to just the latter.

Smartie
28-01-2020, 09:46 AM
A slight detour but I was watching a Peter Crouch thing yesterday, where he went through the shirts he wore during his career.

He was gushing about how much it meant for him to win the FA cup with Liverpool, that it was the main competition when he was a wee boy and the Champions League didn’t exist.

We’re probably now losing the last of a generation of players for whom the FA cup was something special rather than the irrelevance / distraction it has become.

It is so sad to see one of the world’s greatest cup competitions be reduced to this thanks to the total disrespect from England’s biggest clubs.

Aye, but money.

I have almost totally lost interest in English football (well, the premier league anyway) as it is a soulless corporate mess, where some play 38 games to strive to finish 4th and mix with Europe’s elite and the rest just gamble furiously on hanging onto the coat tails of the big clubs.

It’s a 5hite spectacle when you wake up and see it for what it is.

KingPat4
28-01-2020, 09:48 AM
A slight detour but I was watching a Peter Crouch thing yesterday, where he went through the shirts he wore during his career.

He was gushing about how much it meant for him to win the FA cup with Liverpool, that it was the main competition when he was a wee boy and the Champions League didn’t exist.

We’re probably now losing the last of a generation of players for whom the FA cup was something special rather than the irrelevance / distraction it has become.

It is so sad to see one of the world’s greatest cup competitions be reduced to this thanks to the total disrespect from England’s biggest clubs.

Aye, but money.

I have almost totally lost interest in English football (well, the premier league anyway) as it is a soulless corporate mess, where some play 38 games to strive to finish 4th and mix with Europe’s elite and the rest just gamble furiously on hanging onto the coat tails of the big clubs.

It’s a 5hite spectacle when you wake up and see it for what it is.

:top marks

jacomo
28-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Match fitness is the entire point of pre-season. If they can also make profit from it, then that's good business as well as good squad management as opposed to just the latter.

Thought you were a Hibs supporter.

The elite clubs are squeezing all the money out of the game and killing clubs like ours, but if even our own fans are cheering them on then the game is up.

Since452
28-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Never really been in to English football but always watched the FA cup final growing up. It was an absolute sporting must alongside the Scottish cup final. Now I can't remember the last FA Cup final I watched. Think I went off it when Man United pulled out to play a silly competition in South America

Northernhibee
28-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Thought you were a Hibs supporter.

The elite clubs are squeezing all the money out of the game and killing clubs like ours, but if even our own fans are cheering them on then the game is up.

You have a good day, I won't lower myself to responding properly to that one :aok:

theonlywayisup
04-02-2020, 08:59 PM
Worked well for Liverpool in the end

Hibeesmad
04-02-2020, 09:01 PM
Chelsea will slap them by 3 or 4 goals if they play that team.

heretoday
04-02-2020, 09:32 PM
Never really been in to English football but always watched the FA cup final growing up. It was an absolute sporting must alongside the Scottish cup final. Now I can't remember the last FA Cup final I watched. Think I went off it when Man United pulled out to play a silly competition in South America
That was the turning point right enough.

At least Liverpool fielded a team.

PH91
04-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Klopp has the right to play whatever team he likes in whatever competition he likes, squad rotation is a part of the game now. I don't have any issue with it.

It's pretty disrespectful to Shrewsbury for Klopp himself not to attend the game though. The manager should always take the team unless there are exceptional circumstances imo.

Sammy7nil
04-02-2020, 09:40 PM
Klopp has the right to play whatever team he likes in whatever competition he likes, squad rotation is a part of the game now. I don't have any issue with it.

It's pretty disrespectful to Shrewsbury for Klopp himself not to attend the game though. The manager should always take the team unless there are exceptional circumstances imo.

They reduced ticket prices because they were playing kids with an Average age of ni ni nineteen :wink:
I think that disrespects the competition a club the size of Liverpool could have added three or four players with experience. No need for them all to be topping up their tan. Yes they won but it is a poor show imo.

Joe6-2
04-02-2020, 09:45 PM
They reduced ticket prices because they were playing kids with an Average age of ni ni nineteen :wink:
I think that disrespects the competition a club the size of Liverpool could have added three or four players with experience. No need for them all to be topping up their tan. Yes they won but it is a poor show imo.

On the flip side it gave Shrewsbury a great opportunity to go further in the competition, they just couldn’t take it

HoboHarry
04-02-2020, 09:46 PM
When you see players in England doing their hamstrings every week, Liverpool are to be admired for acting responsibly in looking after the safety of their players by giving them a break. The amount of games the top players are being asked to play is getting daft.

Sammy7nil
04-02-2020, 09:48 PM
When you see players in England doing their hamstrings every week, Liverpool are to be admired for acting responsibly in looking after the safety of their players by giving them a break. The amount of games the top players are being asked to play is getting daft.

I bet their are ten players on the beach that have not played 20 games or played back to back 90 mins this season.

Sammy7nil
04-02-2020, 09:50 PM
On the flip side it gave Shrewsbury a great opportunity to go further in the competition, they just couldn’t take it

So is that what the FA cup is now? Maybe the big six should not enter if it is interfering with their quest for the top four. Give the diddy teams like Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and others a chance of winning a cup.

HoboHarry
04-02-2020, 09:54 PM
So is that what the FA cup is now? Maybe the big six should not enter if it is interfering with their quest for the top four. Give the diddy teams a chance of winning a cup.
It has been ever since Man Utd dropped out a few years back. Europe is far and away a bigger attraction than the FA Cup for all of the bigger clubs...

Scouse Hibee
04-02-2020, 09:57 PM
So is that what the FA cup is now? Maybe the big six should not enter if it is interfering with their quest for the top four. Give the diddy teams like Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and others a chance of winning a cup.

Liverpool gave a diddy team like Everton the chance of beating them by playing the youngsters, Everton lost!

Sammy7nil
04-02-2020, 09:58 PM
It has been ever since Man Utd dropped out a few years back. Europe is far and away a bigger attraction than the FA Cup for all of the bigger clubs...

I think they should negotiate and withdraw from the competition. Europe is not important only the the CL is.

Football as I recall it died years ago. Arron Ramsey on £400,000 a week dear oh dear.

KingPat4
04-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Liverpool gave a diddy team like Everton the chance of beating them by playing the youngsters, Everton lost!

Eleven traffic cones with red shirts would beat Everton.

The blues are cursed.

Baader
04-02-2020, 11:12 PM

Everton a diddy club? Come on!

HoboHarry
04-02-2020, 11:15 PM
I think they should negotiate and withdraw from the competition. Europe is not important only the the CL is.

Football as I recall it died years ago. Arron Ramsey on £400,000 a week dear oh dear.
The CL may be more important but clubs like Arsenal would prefer the Europa League to nothing at all.....

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2020, 04:11 AM

What does an excellent player being payed big wages but a big club have to do with football being dead? Football is absolutely fine. Yes, things like kick off times and ticket prices are problems but wages really arent. Top sportsman have always earned crazy money because they are worth it to the business.

Scouse Hibee
05-02-2020, 05:07 AM
Everton a diddy club? Come on!

I was merely replying to the poster that referred to them
as a diddy club.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-02-2020, 05:12 AM
What does an excellent player being payed big wages but a big club have to do with football being dead? Football is absolutely fine. Yes, things like kick off times and ticket prices are problems but wages really arent. Top sportsman have always earned crazy money because they are worth it to the business.

You’re looking at this in isolation rather than it’s knock-on effect on “the system” Is it sustainable across the system? If not there’s your answer.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2020, 05:29 AM
The FA cup was a special tournament for every club in England, then money took over with the riches that Europe gives and of course staying in the Premiership.

The 72 clubs outwith the top league are just an after thought now, in fact most of the Premiership is too now, the top 6 clubs who fight it out for Champions league football dont give a toss anymore about everyone else.

We've had it in Scotland with rantic for all my life, but in England they used to pride themselves with having 92 clubs and the best leagues in the world. (their thoughts) :wink:

Now it's everyone for themselves, and they will **** on anyone and everyone to make the holy grail, but even then if they dont make it, the big clubs now are trying to arrange it so the biggest clubs will automatically qualify for Europe.

What was it Rod Petrie once said about sporting integrity?

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2020, 05:58 AM
You’re looking at this in isolation rather than it’s knock-on effect on “the system” Is it sustainable across the system? If not there’s your answer.

The top companies paying the top wages has always happened though, it's nothing different to 100 years ago so I'm not really sure why this is the death of football.

I don't really see why it isn't sustainable, the money going into these top clubs isn't going anywhere and there will always be footballers not good enough to play there that end up at our level being payed what we can afford.