'he's 31'

'naw he's 29'

😂😂😂

Sir David Gray
26-01-2020, 07:56 PM
We've got McGinn, super Paul McGinn....

cmcd
26-01-2020, 08:02 PM
All the negative comments about McGinn.Hibs class my erse .Not such a thing on here .

bigwheel
26-01-2020, 08:06 PM
All the negative comments about McGinn.Hibs class my erse .Not such a thing on here .

Yep.....social media posters have destroyed that over recent years for sure......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hibs90
26-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Steady enough player, good option to have. Can play RB, DC and DM. No complaints for me as long as we get others in too.

CMurdoch
26-01-2020, 08:07 PM
Read the transfer thread

'lacks ambition'

'underwhelming'

'he' s pish'

'I'm not renewing my season ticket'

'he's too old'

'he's 31'

'naw he's 29'

That covers the drivel :aok:
The only good bit on the thread is Smarties song

You’re not McGinn
Super John McGinn
I don’t think Jack Ross understands
We wanted Stubbsy’s man
But got “the ither wan”
You’re not Super John McGinn

SideBurns
26-01-2020, 08:09 PM
He's a McGinn, so he'll be made of the right stuff anyway. Can't say he's ever caught my eye but I'm expecting a model pro who won't be found wanting physically (if he signs, of course).

The 90+2
26-01-2020, 08:11 PM
Hope it happens. The boys a good footballer and has determination he’s also supers brother.

superfurryhibby
26-01-2020, 08:12 PM
No thanks for me. I would prefer a bit more quality.

Smartie
26-01-2020, 08:23 PM
I like this type of signing and trust Ross to know that he’s right for us.

Bronson
26-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Underwhelming would be sugar-coating it. Shan signing that.

IberianHibernian
26-01-2020, 08:47 PM
From the little I`ve seen of him I think he`d be a good signing . I`ve been quite impressed by Naismith but with his bad injury and Gray`s fitness problems plus doubts about James and Whittaker we probably need someone in . What are alternatives ? We`ve got a lot of matches coming up and hopefully will have a cup run so need to have cover for all positions .

The Wireless
26-01-2020, 08:49 PM
With Naismith injured and Gray struggling for fitness. I think McGinn is a good signing. Not a risk regarding outlay. I predict Hibs supporters will be surprised how well he will do. Loves to get forward. A Yes from me.👍🇳🇬

Springbank
26-01-2020, 08:53 PM
My #2 choice, so not a bad shout at all

#1 preference would be O'Donnell.
How many times in a decade do the circumstances arise where the current Scotland fullback is available on a pre-contract free transfer from Killie?
We'd get 5 excellent years out of o'Donnell, worth the outlay

silverhibee
26-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Is he getting a game for St Mirren, seen that he came on for the last minute in today's game, is he coming back from a injury or something or not good enough to start for the buddies.

tonyrougier123
26-01-2020, 08:57 PM
I'd love to see him sign for us!
That family have a touch of class about them,hopefully he fancies the prospect of being a hibee.👍

GGTTH

3pm
26-01-2020, 08:58 PM

How many times in a decade do the circumstances arise where the current Scotland fullback is available on a pre-contract free transfer from Killie?

Aberdeen was the rumour.

Lago
26-01-2020, 09:00 PM
Hope it happens. The boys a good footballer and has determination he’s also supers brother.
Far too sensible.

Wilson
26-01-2020, 09:01 PM

O'Donnell is on record as saying he won't make a decision until the end of the season. He'll see his contract out and won't be short of offers.

Smartie
26-01-2020, 09:02 PM
Was he with his mum at the parade the day after the cup final?

I seem to remember he was.

Silky
26-01-2020, 09:03 PM
Underwhelming would be sugar-coating it. Shan signing that.

Why?

Wilson
26-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Is he getting a game for St Mirren, seen that he came on for the last minute in today's game, is he coming back from a injury or something or not good enough to start for the buddies.

Seems he played the full game in their win v Killie then not in the squad v Rangers. I'd assume he was injured. Looks like Goodwin stuck with the team that stood up well against Rangers for their game against Aberdeen.

flash
26-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Seems he played the full game in their win v Killie then not in the squad v Rangers. I'd assume he was injured. Looks like Goodwin stuck with the team that stood up well against Rangers for their game against Aberdeen.

He played against Rangers.

G B Young
26-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Strikes me as a bit of a stop gap/cover signing. He's got plenty of experience so maybe a solid enough option to take us through to the end of the season.

I do recall him outshining his wee brother when they beat us in Paisley under Jack Ross not long before we won the Championship. Probably extra fired up for that one.

04Sauzee
26-01-2020, 09:23 PM

He's been in the starting 11 91% of the time for St Mirren and also played 91% of available minutes.

Diclonius
26-01-2020, 09:24 PM
Not the most exciting signing but we somehow need cover at right back. If we can offload James then I'm fine.

It's not that we're signing a backup RB that is the problem, it's that we still haven't addressed the need for a ball winning midfielder.

Bronson
26-01-2020, 09:37 PM
Why?

He’s a run of the mill bottom 6 spl defender and is 30 this year so it’s not like he’s a prospect we can develop.

As much as I heard he had a poor first half on saturday, I’d far rather see tom james get a run in the side before we sign paul mcginn. We have gray and if need be whittaker who can cover at rb already, we’re not desperate.

It’s just a really uninspiring signing and if we’re paying a fee, an awful waste of money.

Captain Trips
26-01-2020, 09:42 PM
SW has been ripped a new arse from what I remember I want him knowhere near RB. We have injuries. If he just defends then I'm happy we will be looking at bigger and better for the key areas needed.

A RB was not on the agenda just 2 weeks ago unfortunately circumstances have changed that. Rather than starting to waste time on looking for RBs or seeing if T.James works Jack Ross is bringing in a player who is capable.

Jim44
26-01-2020, 09:44 PM
A lot of knowledge and expertise (🤣) being touted here but can we not trust JR to make decisions and judgements without trashing them before they get off the ground?

Eyrie
26-01-2020, 09:52 PM
A solid premiership full back is fine by me.

I don't want to have to rely on James when Gray isn't available, and this is a season too far for Whittaker as predicted when he came back.

Squealing pig
26-01-2020, 09:58 PM
Will do a job if he gets signed , good business

chrisski33
26-01-2020, 09:59 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/51258436

Thoughts?

Whats yours?

Silky
26-01-2020, 10:01 PM
He’s a run of the mill bottom 6 spl defender and is 30 this year so it’s not like he’s a prospect we can develop.

As much as I heard he had a poor first half on saturday, I’d far rather see tom james get a run in the side before we sign paul mcginn. We have gray and if need be whittaker who can cover at rb already, we’re not desperate.

It’s just a really uninspiring signing and if we’re paying a fee, an awful waste of money.

I get that. But will we the fans allow us to "develop" someone? There is already an unhappiness about the season so far and a very real prospect of us finishing outside the top 6. Will we accept mistakes, mediocrity, "ah, but he's just learning", from a young "prospect" when there may have been a more experienced head available. Someone who has been over the course. Whittaker is finished as a right back and we won't get a season out if Gray. The consensus is that James is *****, so that leaves us painfully short. Ross has seen McGinn more than I have, so I trust his judgement over mine.

jeffers
26-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Can he not also provide dig in the middle of the park if played there ?

neil7908
26-01-2020, 10:12 PM
A lot of knowledge and expertise (🤣) being touted here but can we not trust JR to make decisions and judgements without trashing them before they get off the ground?

Let's just shut down hibs.net then. Same stuff was said about Hecky and look how Vela, Maxwell and Middleton turned out.

Far too many seem happy because he's SJM's brother. He's a guy I've seen play a number of times and he's never stood out. As another poster mentioned, he's spent his career kicking around the lower part of the SPL and is 30 this year. We need to focus on the long term rebuild of the defence and building a side to push for Europe. Imo he's not a player that achieves either of those objectives.

B.H.F.C
26-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Let's just shut down hibs.net then. Same stuff was said about Hecky and look how Vela, Maxwell and Middleton turned out.

Far too many seem happy because he's SJM's brother. He's a guy I've seen play a number of times and he's never stood out. As another poster mentioned, he's spent his career kicking around the lower part of the SPL and is 30 this year. We need to focus on the long term rebuild of the defence and building a side to push for Europe. Imo he's not a player that achieves either of those objectives.

I think that’s an interesting point on the McGinn family connection. As with you I can honestly say I’ve never watched him and thought to myself that he’d be a good signing that would improve us.

Hibbyradge
26-01-2020, 10:23 PM

How would you prefer we reacted to the news that we're looking at him?

neil7908
26-01-2020, 10:29 PM
How would you prefer we reacted to the news that we're looking at him?

Critically rather than being keen to sing the McGinn song again. The actual post I was responding to was basically saying Jack Ross likes him so we should just shut up and trust the manager.

If folk who have watched him are genuinely impressed with him at St Mirren then fine. But we've faced him many times over the last few years and I'm struggling to recall anyone on here talking him up. He's never stood out for me.

His career points to a below average SPL player at an age where he's only going to get worse.

Smartie
26-01-2020, 10:34 PM

RB is looking like it could be a problem position for us this season and there are other problem positions.

If Ross reckons he can get someone in who won’t take up much of our budget and at least stop the right side of our defence from being an Achilles heel whilst leaving us with the majority of our budget to spend on other areas than that is surely a good thing, no?

Swedish hibee
27-01-2020, 02:33 AM
Only seen him in a few games. Just a meh from me.

Hibs90
27-01-2020, 04:25 AM
Steve Lawson from Livi also a good shout.

Since452
27-01-2020, 05:18 AM
People were complaining about Gray at Tannadice and slating James on Saturday. The manager has identified that position as a problem and is going out to fix it by signing a player St Mirren fans and their manager are gutted to lose. Can't win.

EAZY-ME
27-01-2020, 06:14 AM
Cover till the summer when the proper rebuild will begin

Captain Trips
27-01-2020, 06:15 AM
We have a guy on loan that Ross may want to keep but got Injured, David Gray has been struggling for how long now with injury? A problem has came up in a position that Ross may have already had an eye on filling in summer possibly with Naismith. If some people want us to sign better than McGinn then that is going to cost. I do not see an issue with this player under the current circumstances as he is fit been playing and does the job.

It can as will all positions be looked at in summer however I do not see this having any real impact on any targets we have been looking at for this window. We have let a good few players go so there is certainly some wages been freed up and i would not lose any sleep if T. James was let go also. Paul McGinn is all about cover and stability in a problem position.

JimBHibees
27-01-2020, 06:17 AM
We have a guy on loan that Ross may want to keep but got Injured, David Gray has been struggling for how long now with injury? A problem has came up in a position that Ross may have already had an eye on filling in summer possibly with Naismith. If some people want us to sign better than McGinn then that is going to cost. I do not see an issue with this player under the current circumstances as he is fit been playing and does the job.

It can as will all positions be looked at in summer however I do not see this having any real impact on any targets we have been looking at for this window. We have let a good few players go so there is certainly some wages been freed up and i would not lose any sleep if T. James was let go also. Paul McGinn is all about cover and stability in a problem position.

Nail on the head and the fact he has been playing every week is a plus at this time of the year as most loans or signings haven't really been playing much and need a few weeks to get up to speed.

Hibernian Verse
27-01-2020, 07:16 AM

That's how I see it. A good squad player and a stopgap at the moment. As always, I'll judge him when he gets a game for Hibs.

Jim44
27-01-2020, 07:22 AM

I think that’s an interesting point on the McGinn family connection. As with you I can honestly say I’ve never watched him and thought to myself that he’d be a good signing that would improve us.

I didn’t say I’m happy with the Paul McGinn signing nor did I make the family link as you suggest. I think Ross, given financial restraints of managing Hibs and his prior experience of working with McGinn, has gone for someone he thinks can do a job for the remainder of the season. I don’t think a long term solution would happen in this window and I feel we should trust Ross’s judgement and not write him off before a ball has been kicked. We are clearly not in the same financial league as the ugly sisters, Aberdeen and the Jambos who are picking up players with potential.

The Count
27-01-2020, 07:30 AM
In the minority here but think McGinn is not a bad signing for what it will cost.We moan when we sign lower tier english players that dont know our league and still moan when we sign solid Scottish Premier players that know our league.Yes not a glamour signing but will do a job.We need two players for every position in my opinion.

Since452
27-01-2020, 07:33 AM
St Mirren fans are pig sick. That's a good indication for me

B.H.F.C
27-01-2020, 07:39 AM
In the minority here but think McGinn is not a bad signing for what it will cost.We moan when we sign lower tier english players that dont know our league and still moan when we sign solid Scottish Premier players that know our league.Yes not a glamour signing but will do a job.We need two players for every position in my opinion.

Apart from right back, in which case we need four!

Vault Boy
27-01-2020, 07:44 AM
St Mirren fans are pig sick. That's a good indication for me

Always a very good sign. When reception is overwhelmingly one way or another, it tends to tell a pretty dependable story. There are of course some exceptions (i.e. Ambrose leaving Celtic, was denounced by them but was exceptional for us), but they're pretty rare.

Since452
27-01-2020, 07:55 AM
Always a very good sign. When reception is overwhelmingly one way or another, it tends to tell a pretty dependable story. There are of course some exceptions (i.e. Ambrose leaving Celtic, was denounced by them but was exceptional for us), but they're pretty rare.

Looking at their forum apparently McGinn is one of the few players that drives the team up the pitch and creates chances. Solid 7/10 every week - in a poor team that isn't bad.

CentreLine
27-01-2020, 08:03 AM
I will be very happy if PMcG is a good communicator. I believe we have good players but have lacked an organiser in our defensive lines for too long. Nobody is calling the shots or ensuring the line is not broken and has not really done so since Franck Sauzee. If he brings a level of organisation to our defence I’ll be happy.

Captain Trips
27-01-2020, 08:10 AM
Gray Injured a lot
T.James question marks
SW Skinned on most 1 on 1s. Not an answer

McGinn seems to be a pretty solid player to bring into that position while we rebuild and probably while we look to stengthen other areas. He might not be Zanetti but he is at this time a better option than the 3 players we have just now. Could we get better? probably but I would prefer the budget spent further forward with the team.

Forza Fred
27-01-2020, 08:18 AM
I didn’t say I’m happy with the Paul McGinn signing nor did I make the family link as you suggest. I think Ross, given financial restraints of managing Hibs and his prior experience of working with McGinn, has gone for someone he thinks can do a job for the remainder of the season. I don’t think a long term solution would happen in this window and I feel we should trust Ross’s judgement and not write him off before a ball has been kicked. We are clearly not in the same financial league as the ugly sisters, Aberdeen and the Jambos who are picking up players with potential.

Agree with this, but the question I haven’t seen yet, we’ll 2 really..is

How much will St Mirren want for him?and

Are we prepared/able to pay it?

.Sean.
27-01-2020, 08:19 AM

Run of the mill defender approaching 30? Could’ve said that about Darren McGregor when we signed him and he turned out no too bad. Give him a chance FFS

Pretty disappointed at some of the arrogance shown about signing a player from St Mirren and disrespect shown to the brother of SJM. Same folk would probably be buzzing if we signed someone with an exotic name even though they came from Swindon Town

I’ll trust the judgement of the St Mirren supporters who watch him every week and are disappointed over those who have seen him once or twice and are underwhelmed purely as it’s an ‘unfashionable’ signing

Brightside
27-01-2020, 08:22 AM
Good signing. Solid pro.

Shrekko
27-01-2020, 08:24 AM
He’s always really impressed me and can fill problem roles.

Not read all the opinions on him but really surprised if there’s a lot of negativity. Well I’m not, but just don’t see how it’s justified. The Hibs social media pages are cesspits.

Greenworld
27-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Good signing. Solid pro.Were not allowed to say such things there is no controversy in it.
I for one agree though every team needs three or four solid pros the unsung heroes

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
27-01-2020, 08:53 AM

He'll be here a lot longer than that.

The laddie is Mr Versatility and he'll get a lot of games all over the defence.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2020, 08:55 AM

I'm sure you're in the majority.

Since452
27-01-2020, 09:02 AM
A solid Premiership player that plays every week instead of a rusty Tom James and Gray who's sadly on the decline. It's not box office but exactly what is needed

Bronson
27-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Run of the mill defender approaching 30? Could’ve said that about Darren McGregor when we signed him and he turned out no too bad. Give him a chance FFS

Pretty disappointed at some of the arrogance shown about signing a player from St Mirren and disrespect shown to the brother of SJM. Same folk would probably be buzzing if we signed someone with an exotic name even though they came from Swindon Town

I’ll trust the judgement of the St Mirren supporters who watch him every week and are disappointed over those who have seen him once or twice and are underwhelmed purely as it’s an ‘unfashionable’ signing

That’ll be darren mcgregor that had just won POTY at rangers a few months before we signed him? Plenty.

Vault Boy
27-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Think I'm right in saying that squad numbers 5 and 6 are both available. McGinn will take 5 or 19 I think.

Will still have a number 6 to fill, you know what to do Hibs. 😇

Vault Boy
27-01-2020, 09:04 AM
That’ll be darren mcgregor that had just won POTY at rangers a few months before we signed him? Plenty.

Playing in which division? Don't think that does anything to negate the point made in the other post.

.Sean.
27-01-2020, 09:56 AM
...In the championship.

And plenty ������ do you think you’re actually Charles bronson?

scoopyboy
27-01-2020, 10:36 AM

I don't think he has worked with him.

IIRC he signed him but left to go to Sunderland before he got the chance to play him.

Heisenberg
27-01-2020, 10:37 AM
I don't think he has worked with him.

IIRC he signed him but left to go to Sunderland before he got the chance to play him.

Worked with him at Dumbarton I think.

scoopyboy
27-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Worked with him at Dumbarton I think.

I doth my cap to you sir. :aok:

The Modfather
27-01-2020, 10:47 AM
He'll be here a lot longer than that.

The laddie is Mr Versatility and he'll get a lot of games all over the defence.

I’d hope any players we sign now, be it permanent or loan, are for the first team and will improve us. That may or may not be McGinn, and versatility does of course have a place, but we already have Whittaker & James as stop gaps for various positions. Unless McGinn is a good right back don’t think we need anymore versatility.

Hypothetical, but could we have better spent Whittaker, James & potentially McGinns wage on either a designated first pick or a specific back up rather than a collection of jack of all trades master of none. It isn’t McGinn’s fault, but we will have 5 RB’s and one LB.

Heckys Wheel
27-01-2020, 10:51 AM

Agreed. I think he’ll surprise a lot of people if he does sign.

Wilson
27-01-2020, 11:04 AM
I’d hope any players we sign now, be it permanent or loan, are for the first team and will improve us. That may or may not be McGinn, and versatility does of course have a place, but we already have Whittaker & James as stop gaps for various positions. Unless McGinn is a good right back don’t think we need anymore versatility.

Hypothetical, but could we have better spent Whittaker, James & potentially McGinns wage on either a designated first pick or a specific back up rather than a collection of jack of all trades master of none. It isn’t McGinn’s fault, but we will have 5 RB’s and one LB.

Possibly McGinn is being signed to start for the first team in light of the injuries. In that scenario Whittaker would still be the stop gap and Gray making an important contribution when fit. Longer term Gray and Whittaker move more towards coaching so what then? And although folk count him Naismith isn't even our player. We might like to sign him but what if Peterborough prove hard to deal with?

Signing McGinn for his experience and versatility and signing him under current circumstances makes so much sense.

Crutch
27-01-2020, 11:23 AM
Might get torn apart for this...

But from what I've seen, ability-wise Paul McGinn & Lewie are probably on par with eachother. Both have their limitations - but I reckon he's the type, like Stevenson, that ultimately gives you everything and rarely lets you down.

I'm all for him coming in, do a job and see what comes of it. He might surprise a few.

Aim Here
27-01-2020, 11:24 AM
I'm sure we don't really need 5 right backs on the books, despite Naismith and Gray being broken, so getting McGinn in is part of the deHeckification of the team roster and getting (hopefully) Tom James off the wage bill, so I'm for it. I'm assuming this McGinn gadgie is both cheaper and better, or at least cheaper and not worse.

It does mean we're not bringing Efe back, mindyou...

Greenworld
27-01-2020, 11:53 AM
According to black and white they think it is a done deal a complete of comments also https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/3bb099a72ccfdbfe9ea73325a94ede62.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/994736f65b00e8afa46089e307dfecbf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

MyJo
27-01-2020, 01:01 PM
I'm sure we don't really need 5 right backs on the books, despite Naismith and Gray being broken, so getting McGinn in is part of the deHeckification of the team roster and getting (hopefully) Tom James off the wage bill, so I'm for it. I'm assuming this McGinn gadgie is both cheaper and better, or at least cheaper and not worse.

It does mean we're not bringing Efe back, mindyou...

We are short at left back and centre half and would be screwed if any more injuries happened in those areas. James & McGinn can both play across the back line

If we sign McGinn we will have 8 fit players to cover 4 defensive positions. Two of which are still recovering from long-term injuries themselves.

James won't be going anywhere just now because we just don't have the bodies to spare and he can fit in wherever needed, just like McGinn.

makaveli1875
27-01-2020, 01:32 PM
If he does sign will he be cup tied . He was unused sub in St Mirrens game with Broxburn

ElginHibbie
27-01-2020, 01:36 PM
If he does sign will he be cup tied . He was unused sub in St Mirrens game with Broxburn

Aren't players only cup tied if they come off the bench these days?

jacomo
27-01-2020, 01:45 PM
I doth my cap to you sir. :aok:

Verily ye art wise to do so.

bod
27-01-2020, 01:50 PM

I’d like to think we’re signing him for the league rather than this seasons Scottish cup

heretoday
27-01-2020, 01:52 PM
We should always have a McGinn in the team even if he's not too great.

Golden Bear
27-01-2020, 01:56 PM

:agree:

At least I think so. Was the ruling not changed quite recently?

ElginHibbie
27-01-2020, 02:00 PM
:agree:

At least I think so. Was the ruling not changed quite recently?

Ryan Christie played against us when loaned out to Aberdeen, sure he had been on Celtic's bench in a previous round because there was a lot questioning it then

HoboHarry
27-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Of all of the antiquated rules that still exist that one must be one of the worst and should have been abandoned years ago. Transfer windows did away for the need for that cup-tied rules and I'm sure if challenged in court would be done away with as restraint of trade (or whatever the current terminology is).

oldbutdim
27-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Verily ye art wise to do so.

Even wiser if he 'doffed it' rather than 'dothed it'.

:rolleyes:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-01-2020, 05:26 PM
We've got McGinn, Super Paul McGinn, ah just don't think you understand,
He's Jack Ross's man, he's better than Jap Stam, we've got super Paul McGinn!

:greengrin

Since452
27-01-2020, 06:18 PM

😂

judas
27-01-2020, 08:04 PM
Whats yours?

I’m big fan of 100% men and I think on that basis I would be satisfied with the signing. He knows the league and should have no adjustment issues.

From a managerial point of view I think it’s a sensible If somewhat conservative move.

Torto7
27-01-2020, 08:09 PM
I don't know much about McGinn but seeing Ryan Flynn(a good hibby himself) moving to right back makes me think Goodwin wanted a more attacking right back? The comments from the Buddies seem to be positive. I'm guessing he's a Stevenson style fullback?

Brightside
27-01-2020, 08:23 PM
I don't know much about McGinn but seeing Ryan Flynn(a good hibby himself) moving to right back makes me think Goodwin wanted a more attacking right back? The comments from the Buddies seem to be positive. I'm guessing he's a Stevenson style fullback?

Mcginn is a forward thinking full back can also play RM.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2020, 08:25 PM

Ryan Christie played against us when loaned out to Aberdeen, sure he had been on Celtic's bench in a previous round because there was a lot questioning it then

Yep Christie was an used substitute when Celtic played Albion Rovers in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup in 16-17. He then went on loan to Aberdeen in the second half of that season and played against us in the semi finals.

Unless the rule's been changed in the past 3 years then you're only cup tied if you take to the field.

My old man
27-01-2020, 08:51 PM

well done that man
If JR believes in him so must we
If he’s 1/2 the player his brother is/was
he’ll do for me

GGTTH

Hi Heid Yin
27-01-2020, 09:12 PM
I think Paul McGinn would be a sound if not exciting signing.
He has solid SPL experience and, if some of the the St. Mirren fans forum posts are to be believed, he will be a great loss to them, which is a good indicator that we would be getting a decent player.

Stokesy's on fire
27-01-2020, 09:18 PM

100% this

hfc rd
27-01-2020, 10:19 PM

Aberdeen have been linked with a pre-contract move for Stephen O’Donnell. Logan might be moving back down south in the summer.

macca70
27-01-2020, 10:22 PM
According to my mate that’s a St Mirren fan, Stephen McGinn is better than Paul McGinn.

Although, maybe they are trying to chuck us duff info in hope we sign the wrong McGinn.

Stephen McGinn is centre mid but Paul McGinn is Right Back so it’s a right back we need

monktonharp
27-01-2020, 10:35 PM

It’s just a really uninspiring signing and if we’re paying a fee, an awful waste of money.we're a run of the mill hovering around top six team at the moment. we also have loads of 30+ old players. sure he can slot in when required. no problem with this guy. has scored a few too.

monktonharp
27-01-2020, 10:44 PM
In the minority here but think McGinn is not a bad signing for what it will cost.We moan when we sign lower tier english players that dont know our league and still moan when we sign solid Scottish Premier players that know our league.Yes not a glamour signing but will do a job.We need two players for every position in my opinion.:agree:better than someone from forest green Fleetwood etc. we need men that know our league, right now.

Stuart93
27-01-2020, 10:47 PM
:agree:better than someone from forest green Fleetwood etc. we need men that know our league, right now.

That the guy from forest green who’s our top scorer 😉

hhibs
27-01-2020, 10:52 PM
According to my mate that’s a St Mirren fan, Stephen McGinn is better than Paul McGinn.

Although, maybe they are trying to chuck us duff info in hope we sign the wrong McGinn.

Stephen McGinn is centre mid but Paul McGinn is Right Back so it’s a right back we need

The complete opposite view from my St.Mirren mate,hoped it was Stephen McGinn,quote "I would bloody drive him through myself" and he is on the board of one of the main St.Mirren sponsors !

monktonharp
27-01-2020, 10:52 PM
That the guy from forest green who’s our top scorer 😉the very one. couldnae hit a coo's erse wi a banjo :greengrin

Stevie Reid
27-01-2020, 10:54 PM
He’s an experienced, versatile player that our manager obviously trusts. Obviously has a good fitness record given the number of games he’s played too.

Happy with that.

hhibs
27-01-2020, 10:55 PM
we're a run of the mill hovering around top six team at the moment. we also have loads of 30+ old players. sure he can slot in when required. no problem with this guy. has scored a few too.

If it is a fee it will no be much,six months left on his contract Ibelieve and,fallen down their pecking order to boot.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2020, 10:58 PM
If it is a fee it will no be much,six months left on his contract Ibelieve and,fallen down their pecking order to boot.

I'm pretty certain that he hadn't fallen down their pecking order.

hhibs
27-01-2020, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty certain that he hadn't fallen down their pecking order.

Only passing on what I got from a St. Mirren fan today

Wilson
27-01-2020, 11:04 PM
Only passing on what I got from a St. Mirren fan today

The margins at St. Mirren are quite tight. I don't think they have a squad so vast that anyone fit is out of the picture. Don't listen to this slaver.

Since452
28-01-2020, 05:39 AM
Sounds like a very clever signing. Encouraged by what I've heard from St Mirren fans. Can play RB, LB and CB. Brilliant attitude and their most consistent performer. If he's anything like his brother then that's exactly the type of character I want at Hibs.

Heisenberg
28-01-2020, 05:53 AM

He missed the last game because of our interest and came on in the last minute to say his goodbyes. He’s played the majority of their games this season.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Seems a solid if unspectacular signing. Given the injury to Naismith, the niggling injuries that seem to befall Gray and the question marks about James then it seems to make perfect sense to look to bolster that area. McGinn seems to want to come here as well which is also a huge positive. Add to that he has a bit versatility about him.

I don't think anyone is happy about how the last couple of seasons have gone but there seems a tendency to just jump on everything the club does and spin it as a negative. If McGinn comes in and is utterly awful over a reasonable period then by all means criticise the signing but until then give the guy a fair chance. No one can find it easy going into an environment where they are already being talked about as a failure before they have kicked a ball.

craigiehibs
28-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Seems a solid if unspectacular signing. Given the injury to Naismith, the niggling injuries that seem to befall Gray and the question marks about James then it seems to make perfect sense to look to bolster that area. McGinn seems to want to come here as well which is also a huge positive. Add to that he has a bit versatility about him.

I don't think anyone is happy about how the last couple of seasons have gone but there seems a tendency to just jump on everything the club does and spin it as a negative. If McGinn comes in and is utterly awful over a reasonable period then by all means criticise the signing but until then give the guy a fair chance. No one can find it easy going into an environment where they are already being talked about as a failure before they have kicked a ball.

i very much doubt he will be in any way a failure fwiw

GloryGlory
28-01-2020, 09:31 AM

This. It will probably be the unexpired portion of his wages. About 5 1/2 months - maybe £20-25k.

number9dream
28-01-2020, 09:40 AM
I work with a Buddies season ticket holder and he says PMcG is a solid defender with a good engine and good attitude. He can fill in on the left and, at a push, in central defence. He added that he looked a bit lost when asked to play in midfield on occasion and that his crossing / final ball was erratic.
The fact that Ryan Flynn has stepped in at right-back and looked very comfortable means the fans are not too upset with his departure. St Mirren's problem has been putting the ball in the net and any cash they can get may go towards another centre forward.

hhibs
28-01-2020, 11:28 AM
I work with a Buddies season ticket holder and he says PMcG is a solid defender with a good engine and good attitude. He can fill in on the left and, at a push, in central defence. He added that he looked a bit lost when asked to play in midfield on occasion and that his crossing / final ball was erratic.
The fact that Ryan Flynn has stepped in at right-back and looked very comfortable means the fans are not too upset with his departure. St Mirren's problem has been putting the ball in the net and any cash they can get may go towards another centre forward.

Much as I have been told,again direct from a St.Mirren fan,sponsor andseason ticket holder.

There some folk on here who seem to think their opinions and judgements on Mcginn and what goes on at St. Mirren are better than say ,St. Mirren fans.

Dolce7
28-01-2020, 01:06 PM
If he plays like his brother then we are on to a winner.:flag:

.Sean.
28-01-2020, 01:50 PM
well done that man
If JR believes in him so must we
If he’s 1/2 the player his brother is/was
he’ll do for me

GGTTH
Still canny work out what tune this is meant to be sung along to?

Scorrie
28-01-2020, 02:01 PM
Still canny work out what tune this is meant to be sung along to?

The Sash?!

murray26
28-01-2020, 02:07 PM
If he plays like his brother then we are on to a winner.:flag:

If he could play like his brother he wouldn’t have had the career he’s had.. poor signing..

AgentDaleCooper
28-01-2020, 02:07 PM
I've got a good feeling about paul mcginn

Andy74
28-01-2020, 02:31 PM
He’s better than Thuram.

HoboHarry
28-01-2020, 02:34 PM
If he could play like his brother he wouldn’t have had the career he’s had.. poor signing..
And if he signs and does well you will most certainly be back on here to apologize right?

Hibiza
28-01-2020, 02:35 PM
A steady , versatile defender. No probs with that.

murray26
28-01-2020, 02:38 PM
And if he signs and does well you will most certainly be back on here to apologize right?

%100.. I’ll get right behind him all the time.. I don’t wish for any Hibs player to be unsuccessful but I’ve not seen any evidence to suggest he is good enough for us.. maybe I think to highly of us and that’s the type of signing we should be making..

Diclonius
28-01-2020, 02:39 PM
He’s better than Thuram.

There we go.

Smartie
28-01-2020, 05:26 PM
He’s better than Thuram.

I'll give you that one, but that's only because I couldn't get "he's an altogether different type of player to Zidane but that doesn't mean he can't do a job filling in at fullback for the Hibs" to scan.