PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 25 01 20)

Jonnyboy
25-01-2020, 07:30 PM
On my way through to Motherwell today I said to my brother that I hoped we’d win but given ‘Wells’ lofty league position and the fact that they were in good form, winning last time out at Pittodrie, that I’d settle for a draw. A draw it was and in truth it was a deserved point as I felt we made a good Motherwell side look decidedly average. Yes they had the bulk of possession but Rocky had only three important saves to make in the whole game whilst we struck the post and their keeper had one decent save from Horgan. I guess you could say I’m a glass half full sort of person as I focus on the positives of which there were a few.

Hearing the starting eleven caused me to raise my eyebrows a little. David Gray was missing due to illness so Tom James started at right back. Newell and Omeonga retained their places on the back of a good performance in the fightback against Hamilton with Allan and Hallberg benched and Slivka dropping out completely. It concerned me that James has had little in the way of match minutes of late and of course Motherwell had tricky and speedy wingers. Also, with Allan on the bench who would provide the creativity? In truth I think Scotty’s drop to the bench was merited given a few poor performances of late and so it would fall to Newell in particular to provide a spark in attack.

Hibs started the game on the front foot but our two central midfielders soon found it hard going against the three of Motherwell and it was the Steelmen providing the attacking football in the first phase of the match. James Scott on the wide left was giving Tom James a torrid time and the Hibs man was struggling to stop Scott from racing down the wing at will. In fairness he got little or no help from Boyle and it took a good fifteen minutes for Hibs to tweak things, allowing Omeonga to help James out.

An early effort from Scott flew high and wide of the Hibs goal whilst at the other end a superb through ball from Newall allowed a Boyle effort bit it had the sting taken out of it by a defenders foot and the home keeper collected easily. It was poor fare from both sides really although it could be argued that Motherwell’s hesitancy in getting the ball forward quickly was the result of a very compact defensive line by Hibs. There was little space in which they could play and whilst that made for dull football it kept Hibs very much in the game. Of late our defence has looked too easy to breach but not today.

A silly challenge right on the edge of our box gave Motherwell the chance to open the scoring but Jake Carroll’s shot, whilst fierce, brought a good parrying save from Marciano. Soon after, Allan Campbell had a shot from distance that flew well wide of a post. Doidge was then unlucky to see an effort sail over the bar and in truth, as a spectator, half time couldn’t come quick enough.

Hibs started the second half brightly and might have taken the lead but Horgan’s bullet shot was pushed out by Gillespie. The ball fell to Boyle who dinked a cross to the far post where Kamberi launched himself into a flying header but agonisingly, with Gillespie well beaten the ball struck the far post and bounced outwards, allowing a defender to clear.

The second half seemed more even although the hosts still had more of the ball they were doing very little with it. A Scott effort was saved by Marciano and then a promising break forward by Hibs was brought to a halt by Campbell clattering into Allan (on for Kamberi) from behind but referee Colin Steven simply waved away the appeals for a free kick. To be honest I thought the ref was having a stinker and he seemed to give a free kick every time a Motherwell player fell over.

Both sides tried manfully to create chances but passes were going astray or wrong decisions were being made and it seemed as though they could play until Monday and still not score a goal. A rare misplaced pass by Omeonga allowed Motherwell to break and when the ball reached substitute Manzinga his left foot rocket looked destined for the top corner but a glorious save by Marciano steered the ball on to the top of the bar and over.

The game was now petering out somewhat and Rocky saved again at his near post to deny Ndjoli and in all fairness to have lost a late goal would have been a bitter pill to swallow. To a man, Hibs fought their corner and fully deserved to take a point home from Lanarkshire.

The players

Marciano – Rocky made three crucial saves and one or two others. His save from Manzinga was top drawer and deserved the praise it received from the Motherwell manager in his post-match interview.

James – I kid you not when I say that ten minutes in I said to my brother that I’d sub James with Whittaker. The laddie was toiling against Scott but to be fair to him he probably got better as the game wore on and he received help in defending on that side.

Jackson – Big Adam looked assured throughout and was immense in the air in defending crosses into the box. He likes a crossfield pass though!

Hanlon – Like Jackson he was solid enough and never really looked troubled.

Stevenson – I counted three crucial interceptions and two blocks in the first half alone so there are no complaints from me about his performance today.

Boyle – Squirrel was strangely subdued and even when he got the ball in some space he seemed to have trouble controlling it. On the positive side his dinked cross to Kamberi at the back post was superb.

Omeonga – Steph was booked quite early on but didn’t let that stop him from making crucial challenges for the rest of the game. He will I am sure benefit enormously from getting that ninety minutes under his belt.

Newell – Without having quite the same impact as last time out against Hamilton I thought Joe put in an enormous amount of work today. He is I feel a very clever footballer and today he wins my man of the match award.

Horgan – Daryl was very good and seemed better at actually challenging for a ball rather than pulling up at the last second. His shot was swerving and Gillespie made a decent save to deny him.

Kamberi – Flo is so frustrating. Invariably his first touch is poor and invariably he’ll take the ball in and then try to beat his man rather than looking up to find a team mate.

Doidge – With Flo off the pace, Doidge had it all to do and he stuck to his task manfully. The amount of physical effort he puts in is impressive and on one occasion today he was in the left back position stopping a Motherwell cross into the box.

Allan – Took a few minutes to get going but put plenty of effort into his play. The time he was hacked down from behind and the challenge went unpunished must frustrate him enormously as it’s the kind of treatment that’s becoming the norm.

Gullan – It was good to see Hammer getting some game time and he did his bit in helping secure the point.

Jack Ross – I’m told he was yellow carded following his reaction to the Motherwell players and bench screaming for a second yellow to Omeonga. As to the game I guess he’ll accept the point we won and focus now on the cup replay.

Referee – I think this is Colin Steven’s first season in the top league and he looks like he deserved his promotion because, like his new colleagues, he was utterly rank.

The fans – It was a good turnout and supportive throughout. As an aside the Motherwell fans deserve 10/10 for their efforts although the guy with the megaphone must have to read the match report as he never looks at the game!

greenlex
25-01-2020, 07:37 PM
Spot on JC. Omeonga my Motm today by a distance. He never stopped the whole game. Relatively closely followed by Newell.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-01-2020, 07:38 PM
Spot on as usual Jonny.

Gives me the fear when James plays. Hope SDG is back in soon, or is there anyone in the academy that can deputise?

Hiber-nation
25-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Difficult to name a man of the match today, thought Newell worked really hard but Omeonga wins it for his 2nd half performance.

Have to disagree (again) about Lewis, his distribution is worrying me, really poor today. And I'm a huge fan.

Billy Whizz
25-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Spot on as usual Jonny.

Gives me the fear when James plays. Hope SDG is back in soon, or is there anyone in the academy that can deputise?

Agee with your thoughts JB

To be fair James came onto a game, when he tackled the winger higher up the park
Up front we were really poor today, can’t remember the last time I’ve seen Boyle so out of touch, and Flo was on a par with him
I’d give Omeonga motm, simply as he worked his socks off, and didn’t let his early booking affect him
Rocky also was back to his best, along with a resolute defence
Was reading that’s Motherwell’s 15th clean sheet this season!

Will be interesting to see how Ross picks the bones out of today’s game, and picks a winning team for Tuesday. I’m presuming Omeonga is ineligible

25-01-2020, 08:16 PM
Great summary thanks JB. Given how well Motherwell have been playing, a draw isn't a bad result. Good to get a clean sheet. Omeonga motm for me.

Smartie
25-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Omeonga was my motm but I have to echo some of your comments about Newell.

Boyle is receiving plaudits at the moment but Newell has demonstrated a great deal over the past couple of matches. He has a lot more fig about him than I thought he had, his touch is excellent and weight of pass is very good indeed.

I think we need to pick the midfield 3 of Newell, Omeonga and Allan first, then build the team around them.

wookie70
25-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Good report but I'm with the others in giving Stephane MOTM. He wasn't brilliano n the ball but stopped so many Well attacks and played being on a yellow very well.

B.H.F.C
25-01-2020, 08:33 PM
No sure about Omeonga as MOTM. Thought he came on to a game as it went on but thought he was off the pace in the first half. And we never kept the ball all day.

Not his biggest fan but thought Jackson was good. Same for Hanlon.

Eyrie
25-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Omeonga was my motm but I have to echo some of your comments about Newell.

Boyle is receiving plaudits at the moment but Newell has demonstrated a great deal over the past couple of matches. He has a lot more fig about him than I thought he had, his touch is excellent and weight of pass is very good indeed.

I think we need to pick the midfield 3 of Newell, Omeonga and Allan first, then build the team around them.

I've warmed to Newell but think that midfield would need another grafter or defensive player to avoid being overrun. So we could only play two from Doidge, Boyle and Kamberi, unless we move to 3-5-2. However both the diamond and 3-5-2 leave us vulnerable on the flanks.

Headaches like that make me glad I'm not the manager. I don't think I'd get away with playing 4-5-2.

EL Green
25-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Jackson and Hanlon played well, ably assisted by a great save from Rocky in the second half. Omeonga got better the longer the game went on but from my point of view Newell was definitely MoM.

Ref was useless, booked Stephane because he was told to by Campbell, glad we finished with 11 men as he looked determined to send someone off.

weecounty hibby
25-01-2020, 09:38 PM
Hanlon gets loads of stick on here at times but I thought he was superb today. Never flustered, always in control, won headers and tackles all afternoon. Excellent, and we will struggle to replace him for the same money, £0, when he retires/leaves.

hibsbollah
25-01-2020, 09:58 PM
Newell my man of the match. He is so obviously a centre mid that it blows my mind that Heckinbotham saw otherwise. Good assessment Johnny.

Hi Heid Yin
25-01-2020, 10:12 PM
A good and accurate summary, jonnyboy.
Much appreciated.

Frankhfc
25-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Good report :aok:

A hard won point today.

I'm in total agreement about Flo in that his worst aspect to his game is that his instinct is to take on players and run into trouble rather than lay it off to others in better positions. His contribution to the team could double instantly if he would simplify his game. Very frustrating indeed.

Ross set up the team well today and it was a point gained I feel rather then two lost.

Robbo6-2
25-01-2020, 10:39 PM
Newell was good again.

Disappointed with Kamberi and Lewy. How many times did Stevenson give it away!

Poor game, draw was a decent result in end

Smartie
25-01-2020, 11:44 PM
I've warmed to Newell but think that midfield would need another grafter or defensive player to avoid being overrun. So we could only play two from Doidge, Boyle and Kamberi, unless we move to 3-5-2. However both the diamond and 3-5-2 leave us vulnerable on the flanks.

Headaches like that make me glad I'm not the manager. I don't think I'd get away with playing 4-5-2.

I think that midfield would be fine with 3 centre backs. Omeonga can tackle and get about the pitch and Newell has surprised me with his dig in the tackle lately.

Stantons Angel
26-01-2020, 12:52 AM
Newell was good again.

Disappointed with Kamberi and Lewy. How many times did Stevenson give it away!

Poor game, draw was a decent result in end

I disappointed too that his form has slipped recently but its only because we expect his usual gut busting runs up and down the park along with his quick sharp tackling game
after game that what ever he does wrong shows up and he gets slated for it.

Last Sunday i was amazed at the amount of passes Allan gave away all night long which continued in the Wednesday night game.

But a casual acknowledgement here and there was all that was said. Yet Lewis has a bad game and he gets it in the neck.

Today he made some really crucial blocks in the box and tackles all over the park. i even saw him beat both their towering wingers in the air too.

Yet no one other than the OP has mentioned anything other than his bad passing.

Come on guys lets be fair here. The whole team are playing with their gas at a peep. Can we not just have some positive stuff on here and stop looking for an individual to blame.

When our whole team are out of sorts?

Stantons Angel
26-01-2020, 12:58 AM
Difficult to name a man of the match today, thought Newell worked really hard but Omeonga wins it for his 2nd half performance.

Have to disagree (again) about Lewis, his distribution is worrying me, really poor today. And I'm a huge fan.

As a huge fan of Lewis's you dont mention the crucial blocks he put in today in the box, nor the tackles and headers he won during the game also.

Granted his standards have slipped recently but i do think that the whole team are toiling just now.

Lets keep the positives going till we get back all our injury victims and head for the league run in in a few weeks time. Then we can take stock for the season.

Not In The Know
26-01-2020, 07:21 AM
On my way through to Motherwell today I said to my brother that I hoped we’d win but given ‘Wells’ lofty league position and the fact that they were in good form, winning last time out at Pittodrie, that I’d settle for a draw. A draw it was and in truth it was a deserved point as I felt we made a good Motherwell side look decidedly average. Yes they had the bulk of possession but Rocky had only three important saves to make in the whole game whilst we struck the post and their keeper had one decent save from Horgan. I guess you could say I’m a glass half full sort of person as I focus on the positives of which there were a few.

Hearing the starting eleven caused me to raise my eyebrows a little. David Gray was missing due to illness so Tom James started at right back. Newell and Omeonga retained their places on the back of a good performance in the fightback against Hamilton with Allan and Hallberg benched and Slivka dropping out completely. It concerned me that James has had little in the way of match minutes of late and of course Motherwell had tricky and speedy wingers. Also, with Allan on the bench who would provide the creativity? In truth I think Scotty’s drop to the bench was merited given a few poor performances of late and so it would fall to Newell in particular to provide a spark in attack.

Hibs started the game on the front foot but our two central midfielders soon found it hard going against the three of Motherwell and it was the Steelmen providing the attacking football in the first phase of the match. James Scott on the wide left was giving Tom James a torrid time and the Hibs man was struggling to stop Scott from racing down the wing at will. In fairness he got little or no help from Boyle and it took a good fifteen minutes for Hibs to tweak things, allowing Omeonga to help James out.

An early effort from Scott flew high and wide of the Hibs goal whilst at the other end a superb through ball from Newall allowed a Boyle effort bit it had the sting taken out of it by a defenders foot and the home keeper collected easily. It was poor fare from both sides really although it could be argued that Motherwell’s hesitancy in getting the ball forward quickly was the result of a very compact defensive line by Hibs. There was little space in which they could play and whilst that made for dull football it kept Hibs very much in the game. Of late our defence has looked too easy to breach but not today.

A silly challenge right on the edge of our box gave Motherwell the chance to open the scoring but Jake Carroll’s shot, whilst fierce, brought a good parrying save from Marciano. Soon after, Allan Campbell had a shot from distance that flew well wide of a post. Doidge was then unlucky to see an effort sail over the bar and in truth, as a spectator, half time couldn’t come quick enough.

Hibs started the second half brightly and might have taken the lead but Horgan’s bullet shot was pushed out by Gillespie. The ball fell to Boyle who dinked a cross to the far post where Kamberi launched himself into a flying header but agonisingly, with Gillespie well beaten the ball struck the far post and bounced outwards, allowing a defender to clear.

The second half seemed more even although the hosts still had more of the ball they were doing very little with it. A Scott effort was saved by Marciano and then a promising break forward by Hibs was brought to a halt by Campbell clattering into Allan (on for Kamberi) from behind but referee Colin Steven simply waved away the appeals for a free kick. To be honest I thought the ref was having a stinker and he seemed to give a free kick every time a Motherwell player fell over.

Both sides tried manfully to create chances but passes were going astray or wrong decisions were being made and it seemed as though they could play until Monday and still not score a goal. A rare misplaced pass by Omeonga allowed Motherwell to break and when the ball reached substitute Manzinga his left foot rocket looked destined for the top corner but a glorious save by Marciano steered the ball on to the top of the bar and over.

The game was now petering out somewhat and Rocky saved again at his near post to deny Ndjoli and in all fairness to have lost a late goal would have been a bitter pill to swallow. To a man, Hibs fought their corner and fully deserved to take a point home from Lanarkshire.

The players

Marciano – Rocky made three crucial saves and one or two others. His save from Manzinga was top drawer and deserved the praise it received from the Motherwell manager in his post-match interview.

James – I kid you not when I say that ten minutes in I said to my brother that I’d sub James with Whittaker. The laddie was toiling against Scott but to be fair to him he probably got better as the game wore on and he received help in defending on that side.

Jackson – Big Adam looked assured throughout and was immense in the air in defending crosses into the box. He likes a crossfield pass though!

Hanlon – Like Jackson he was solid enough and never really looked troubled.

Stevenson – I counted three crucial interceptions and two blocks in the first half alone so there are no complaints from me about his performance today.

Boyle – Squirrel was strangely subdued and even when he got the ball in some space he seemed to have trouble controlling it. On the positive side his dinked cross to Kamberi at the back post was superb.

Omeonga – Steph was booked quite early on but didn’t let that stop him from making crucial challenges for the rest of the game. He will I am sure benefit enormously from getting that ninety minutes under his belt.

Newell – Without having quite the same impact as last time out against Hamilton I thought Joe put in an enormous amount of work today. He is I feel a very clever footballer and today he wins my man of the match award.

Horgan – Daryl was very good and seemed better at actually challenging for a ball rather than pulling up at the last second. His shot was swerving and Gillespie made a decent save to deny him.

Kamberi – Flo is so frustrating. Invariably his first touch is poor and invariably he’ll take the ball in and then try to beat his man rather than looking up to find a team mate.

Doidge – With Flo off the pace, Doidge had it all to do and he stuck to his task manfully. The amount of physical effort he puts in is impressive and on one occasion today he was in the left back position stopping a Motherwell cross into the box.

Allan – Took a few minutes to get going but put plenty of effort into his play. The time he was hacked down from behind and the challenge went unpunished must frustrate him enormously as it’s the kind of treatment that’s becoming the norm.

Gullan – It was good to see Hammer getting some game time and he did his bit in helping secure the point.

Jack Ross – I’m told he was yellow carded following his reaction to the Motherwell players and bench screaming for a second yellow to Omeonga. As to the game I guess he’ll accept the point we won and focus now on the cup replay.

Referee – I think this is Colin Steven’s first season in the top league and he looks like he deserved his promotion because, like his new colleagues, he was utterly rank.

The fans – It was a good turnout and supportive throughout. As an aside the Motherwell fans deserve 10/10 for their efforts although the guy with the megaphone must have to read the match report as he never looks at the game!

Good well balanced report as ever. Quite unlike Moria Gordon’s hootsman effort.

allmodcons
26-01-2020, 07:27 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy.

One of the few 'go to' threads on this site. I always enjoy reading your balanced assessment of matches.

Some of the post match knee jerk pish posted on this site just beggars belief.

CLASS OF 72 -73
26-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Hanlon gets loads of stick on here at times but I thought he was superb today. Never flustered, always in control, won headers and tackles all afternoon. Excellent, and we will struggle to replace him for the same money, £0, when he retires/leaves.

Hundred percent:aok:

Greenbeard
26-01-2020, 07:57 AM
So on the positive side - pleasing to the hear the good reports on Jackson and Newell continuing decent form from midweek.
BIt harsh Jonnyboy on Omeonga saying a stray pass led to their shot off the crossbar, even if he did have some that went astray. Per the HIbs TV highlights it looked to be an awkward high ball that he didn't get under control before the 'Well boy came in and nicked it off him.
Suprised no comment - on here or in commentary - about "Head-down Horgan" shooting (pretty straight tbf) and not seeing the Dodgie and Boyle to his right in space and bearing down on goal, either of whom had a better chance of scoring. Even a wee dink through to the left would have had Newell and Flo in great position to score. FOUR players better placed than him to score. Lack of vision is his biggest failing.

Tarrahib
26-01-2020, 08:06 AM
After every game I go to I read Jonny's report and his view of the games are very similar to my own.
i was unable to get down to yesterday's game so I had to settle for the updates from Hibs Net and face book which made very depressing reading.
After reading your report I felt a lot better about Hib's performance.
Thank you Jonny for your report.

flash
26-01-2020, 08:11 AM
I watched on the box and agree with pretty much everything. Thought Jackson was my best player but honourable mentions also for Hanlon, Stevenson and Marciano.
Newell and Omeonga worked hard and Allan improved our ball retention greatly.

number9dream
26-01-2020, 09:37 AM
A largely guff game with one top drawer save from Rocky earning us a point.
Starting line up looked bold but we created one solitary chance - which Kamberi should have tucked away.
Hallberg or Whittaker in the middle rather than Kamberi or Horgan might have given us a better platform to build on.
On the bright side, our patched up defence did pretty well and Omeonga got 90 minutes under his belt.
Take the point & clean sheet and move on...

Hiber-nation
26-01-2020, 10:34 AM
As a huge fan of Lewis's you dont mention the crucial blocks he put in today in the box, nor the tackles and headers he won during the game also.

Granted his standards have slipped recently but i do think that the whole team are toiling just now.

Lets keep the positives going till we get back all our injury victims and head for the league run in in a few weeks time. Then we can take stock for the season.

Can't disagree.

CMurdoch
26-01-2020, 11:27 AM
A silly challenge (Omeonga) right on the edge of our box gave Motherwell the chance to open the scoring but Jake Carroll’s shot, whilst fierce, brought a good parrying save from Marciano.
Hibs started the second half brightly and might have taken the lead but Horgan’s bullet shot was pushed out by Gillespie. The ball fell to Boyle who dinked a cross (which was headed onto the far post by Newell) where Kamberi launched himself into a flying header but agonisingly, with Gillespie well beaten the ball struck the far post and bounced outwards, allowing a defender to clear.

Good report as usual Jonny, especially your assessment of the players which is spot on.
Highlighted a couple of missing details. Hope you don't mind.

Positives: another 90 minutes for Omeonga and Jackson, 90 minutes for James and game time for Gullan.
Solid defence giving us an away point which was a big improvement on the games at Livingston and Dingwall.
A rest for Gray and Allan. McGregor in reserve for when required. No more injuries.

Negatives: missed chance to close the points gap on Motherwell and Aberdeen. Poor game.

Hallberg instead of Boyle would have improved the team performance but hindsight is 20/20.

Was Slivka suspended, injured or is he being teed up for transfer in the next week?

Next Episode Tuesday

BILLYHIBS
26-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Brilliant Jonnyboy as always

:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
26-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Good report as usual Jonny, especially your assessment of the players which is spot on.
Highlighted a couple of missing details. Hope you don't mind.

Positives: another 90 minutes for Omeonga and Jackson, 90 minutes for James and game time for Gullan.
Solid defence giving us an away point which was a big improvement on the games at Livingston and Dingwall.
A rest for Gray and Allan. McGregor in reserve for when required. No more injuries.

Negatives: missed chance to close the points gap on Motherwell and Aberdeen. Poor game.

Hallberg instead of Boyle would have improved the team performance but hindsight is 20/20.

Was Slivka suspended, injured or is he being teed up for transfer in the next week?

Next Episode Tuesday

Definitely Flo with the header, not Newell

greenlex
26-01-2020, 12:18 PM

Think the original poster meant the far post area rather than the post. At least that’s how I read it.

CMurdoch
26-01-2020, 12:45 PM

The cross from Boyle is headed on by Newell, who is on the front post in line with the penalty spot, and it then travels to Flo who is at the far post and he heads it back across the keeper onto the inside of the other post.

Jonnyboy
26-01-2020, 01:37 PM
The cross from Boyle is headed on by Newell, who is on the front post in line with the penalty spot, and it then travels to Flo who is at the far post and he heads it back across the keeper onto the inside of the other post.

Ah right, sorry 👍