PDA

View Full Version : Lose Boyle and I fear for Hibs

thebausburst
24-01-2020, 02:09 PM
I think we all agree Boyle is, by the proverbial country mile, Hibs best and most influential player. As Celtic circle I really fear for our team as an attacking threat without him. Hibs may or may not get McNulty to replace Oli, but we don’t have the funds required to replace Boyle, when out injured we were a FAR poorer side in an attacking sense and unless Hibs pull something dramatic out the bag we will be a poorer squad come the end of January without Boyle, whether McNulty is with us or not.

Greenbeard
24-01-2020, 02:13 PM
When is his contract up?

Golden Bear
24-01-2020, 02:17 PM
I think we all agree Boyle is, by the proverbial country mile, Hibs best and most influential player. As Celtic circle I really fear for our team as an attacking threat without him. Hibs may or may not get McNulty to replace Oli, but we don’t have the funds required to replace Boyle, when out injured we were a FAR poorer side in an attacking sense and unless Hibs pull something dramatic out the bag we will be a poorer squad come the end of January without Boyle, whether McNulty is with us or not.

Boyle is one of the very few players in the current squad who is a genuine entertainer. If he does go, he'll be a sad miss.

:boo hoo:

makaveli1875
24-01-2020, 02:22 PM
When is his contract up?

18 months

scoopyboy
24-01-2020, 02:26 PM

Huge miss but we will survive, we always do.:greengrin

joe t
24-01-2020, 02:27 PM
We will lose Boyle in the summer. We will not lose Boyle in this transfer window. I can’t understand why people think this might actually happen.

TimeForHeroes16
24-01-2020, 02:27 PM
We survive every time he is injured we will survive again.

Smartie
24-01-2020, 02:35 PM
It depends on the circumstances of his departure.

If he goes now because we receive a valuation that is appropriate for a player of his importance, adjusted upwards for OF tax (if that’s where he goes) then I’m ok with it.

If we somehow find ourselves giving our best player to Celtic for any of the poor reasons that have been suggested then I won’t be happy.

I have a horrible feeling it will be the latter and within a year of taking over Ron Gordon’s going to have some questions to answer, if he can be bothered.

We knew and accepted in was time for McGinn and McGeouch to move on. This is a wee bit like the “Scott Allan saga”, where Hibs will be making some sort of statement via their actions.

HoboHarry
24-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Unnecessary title with hysterics written all over it. If Boyle goes we will move on as well. The King is dead, long live the King and all that.......

Sir David Gray
24-01-2020, 02:42 PM
He's an important player and a club legend but we've lost important players like him in the past and we seem to cope alright so I think we might be ok.

Spike Mandela
Yes but we might as well get excited about the players we might sign too.
Things will be really good.

When Boyle got injured at short notice we signed Middleton on loan from Rangers. I suspect any replacement would have the same ‘excitement’.

Hermit Crab

We will never reject decent money from any team. Way of the world.

Waxy
24-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Nothing to gain at all by selling MB at this point.

The Harp
24-01-2020, 02:48 PM
Seen this scenario acted out so many times down the decades since the Joe Baker era when he asked the club for an extra fiver. The press at that time reported 'Hibs can't meet Baker's demands.'
I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't fight tooth and nail to keep Boyle at ER. Offer him a new and improved contract for starters. His value is likely to increase greatly in the next few years so giving Celtic the green light is not in our best interests, or his, if he was foolish enough to go there.

Barman Stanton
24-01-2020, 02:52 PM
We have lost way better players in the past and have always done ok. Its just part of watching Hibs.

Onceinawhile
24-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Although I think the OP is slightly over stating it, I tend to agree.

Our games without Boyler this season, we've been mince. With him, we've been much improved.

Personally, next time his wife is in for training, I'd lock her in a cupboard and only release her once MB has signed an extended deal.

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 03:00 PM
We have lost way better players in the past and have always done ok. Its just part of watching Hibs.

Just okay is the issue. We sold our best players in 07/08 and ended up ***** for years then eventually got relegated in a fully complete half empty stadium.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2020, 03:03 PM

We got considerably worse when he was injured. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weegreenman
24-01-2020, 03:07 PM
As much as Boyle has improved, he won’t be an automatic starter if he were to sign for Celtic. Similar to Johnny Hayes in that regard in my opinion.
However he’ll probably triple his wage, so nobody can blame him for wanting to go.

Whatever happens, we’ve seen it all before. The most important thing is that the club will move on also, as will the fans.

I hope we hang onto him as long as we possibly can but business is business and we all need to acknowledge were we are on the food chain.

lord bunberry
24-01-2020, 03:13 PM
Have we always done ok? Every time we lose a good player we replace them with an inferior player. There may be a couple of exceptions, but generally that’s what happens. We definitely shouldn’t be selling Boyle under any circumstances in this window, if we do we might as well raise the white flag on this season.

HoboHarry
24-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Have we always done ok? Every time we lose a good player we replace them with an inferior player. There may be a couple of exceptions, but generally that’s what happens. We definitely shouldn’t be selling Boyle under any circumstances in this window, if we do we might as well raise the white flag on this season.
How could we possibly afford a better player than Boyle as his replacement if his fee is around 1.5M?

lord bunberry
24-01-2020, 03:16 PM
As much as Boyle has improved, he won’t be an automatic starter if he were to sign for Celtic. Similar to Johnny Hayes in that regard in my opinion.
However he’ll probably triple his wage, so nobody can blame him for wanting to go.

Whatever happens, we’ve seen it all before. The most important thing is that the club will move on also, as will the fans.

I hope we hang onto him as long as we possibly can but business is business and we all need to acknowledge we’re we are on the food chain.
We don’t need to sell players so our position on the food chain is irrelevant. There’s far to many people just willing to accept players leaving imo. I know it happens, but it should happen on our terms and that’s not in this window.

lord bunberry
24-01-2020, 03:18 PM
How could we possibly afford a better player than Boyle as his replacement if his fee is around 1.5M?
We can’t, that’s why we as fans should put pressure on the club not to sell him. Keeping Boyle will be better for the punters in the stand than money in the bank account.

Weegreenman
24-01-2020, 03:19 PM
We don’t need to sell players so our position on the food chain is irrelevant. There’s far to many people just willing to accept players leaving imo. I know it happens, but it should happen on our terms and that’s not in this window.

Fair enough but you need to take into account the wishes of the player. Look at Erickson for Spurs. If a player wants to go, there’s not much a club like Hibs can do about. We won’t allow his contract to run down, no way.

Captain Trips
24-01-2020, 03:22 PM
Fair enough but you need to take into account the wishes of the player. Look at Erickson for Spurs. If a player wants to go, there’s not much a club like Hibs can do about. We won’t allow his contract to run down, no way.

The wishes of the player were taken into account that is why he has a wage and contract. The player is required by the club to play for rest of season to get Hibs higher in table. That should be the end of the matter.

lord bunberry
24-01-2020, 03:22 PM
If he wants to go then he should be told he can leave at the end of the season.

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 03:23 PM

Okay, every time we lose a player we usually replace them with someone who can’t even get in the team yet alone come close to the capabilities of the lost player.

Spud
24-01-2020, 03:24 PM
I would like to see us hang on to our top performers as much as possible. I understand there are other considerations (mainly financial), but let’s not resign ourselves to the fact that we have lost players before and continued to “survive”.

HoboHarry
24-01-2020, 03:25 PM
The wishes of the player were taken into account that is why he has a wage and contract. The player is required by the club to play for rest of season to get Hibs higher in table. That should be the end of the matter.
If his agent was any good there would be a sell on clause in the contract.

CMurdoch
24-01-2020, 03:25 PM
This is a media induced story which folk are giving creedence to.
Where is the evidence that Celtic are moving for Boyle?

Weegreenman
24-01-2020, 03:28 PM
If he wants to go then he should be told he can leave at the end of the season.

Totally mate.

Alfred E Newman
24-01-2020, 03:28 PM
Selling Garry O'connor a few days after knocking Rangers out the cup 3-0 at Ibrox is a perfect example of the way the club has operated for all the years I've supported them.

Barman Stanton
24-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Just okay is the issue. We sold our best players in 07/08 and ended up ***** for years then eventually got relegated in a fully complete half empty stadium.

Its just the way it is. Like it or not, if we pay 3k a week and someone else offers 15k there's not a lot we can do other than let the contact run down and lose the player for nothing. The key is finding good replacements, but thats easier said than done.

*these figures are made up, before the post gets jumped on!

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Some might argue Hecky lost his job because he never had Boyle to call on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Weegreenman
24-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Agreed. Let’s hope this is the case.

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 03:33 PM
Its just the way it is. Like it or not, if we pay 3k a week and someone else offers 15k there's not a lot we can do other than let the contact run down and lose the player for nothing. The key is finding good replacements, but thats easier said than done.

*these figures are made up, before the post gets jumped on!

That is the key, of course. History tells us it doesn’t happen and the replacements are usually inadequate. That’s why I would rather keep the player instead of selling him. Why do we have to sell for £1.5m say? It’s not as if that money goes right into the team.

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Selling Garry O'connor a few days after knocking Rangers out the cup 3-0 at Ibrox is a perfect example of the way the club has operated for all the years I've supported them.

It was days after knocking out Falkirk in the next round (great game btw) but you’re point still stands, we sold even though we knew Riordan was suspended for the Semi and Gaz didn’t even want to go.

Onceinawhile
24-01-2020, 03:37 PM
It was days after knocking out Falkirk in the next round (great game btw) but you’re point still stands, we sold even though we knew Riordan was suspended for the Semi and Gaz didn’t even want to go.

Did we win that 5-1? Or by a similar big score? Have a feeling Gary Caldwell scored?

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 03:39 PM
Did we win that 5-1? Or by a similar big score? Have a feeling Gary Caldwell scored?

Spot on! 4 goals at the hibs end in the second half 👍

Barman Stanton
24-01-2020, 03:39 PM
That is the key, of course. History tells us it doesn’t happen and the replacements are usually inadequate. That’s why I would rather keep the player instead of selling him. Why do we have to sell for £1.5m say? It’s not as if that money goes right into the team.

We dont need to sell. But if he wants to go then we have an unhappy player for a year and a half and then lose him for nothing. Thats something they would need to weigh up.

I too get pissed off losing our best players to bigger teams. But its the same all over the world.

Although I do think 1.5M is too cheap for Boyle.

Ronniekirk
24-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Unnecessary title with hysterics written all over it. If Boyle goes we will move on as well. The King is dead, long live the King and all that.......

The Squirrel is more important than The King

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 04:10 PM
We dont need to sell. But if he wants to go then we have an unhappy player for a year and a half and then lose him for nothing. Thats something they would need to weigh up.

I too get pissed off losing our best players to bigger teams. But its the same all over the world.

Although I do think 1.5M is too cheap for Boyle.

True. I don’t think Boyle would kick up a stink though.

Real Emerald
24-01-2020, 04:17 PM
True. I don’t think Boyle would kick up a stink though.

I would hope not considering he signed a new 4 year deal and has spent almost a year on the treatment table with 18 months still left to go. He could be doing some paying back on the pitch for us now.

Greenbeard
24-01-2020, 04:22 PM
To max the income from MB we need to sell when he is hot, not when he's not. But if we do do that, either a pre-contract for next season or sell now with a loan back for the rest of the season.

Barman Stanton
24-01-2020, 04:24 PM
I would hope not considering he signed a new 4 year deal and has spent almost a year on the treatment table with 18 months still left to go. He could be doing some paying back on the pitch for us now.

I would suggest he is indeed paying back on the pitch. Which is why Celtic are reportedly interested.

Loyalty is great, but a move like that is likely life changing for Boyle. Im not suggesting he would kick up a stink by the way. But I would be surprised if he didnt want to go.

Real Emerald
24-01-2020, 04:26 PM
To max the income from MB we need to sell when he is hot, not when he's not. But if we do do that, either a pre-contract for next season or sell now with a loan back for the rest ofseason.
And that will really get the season tickets moving. No ambition to hold onto our best player who still has 18 months left would be disastrous for our support.

Real Emerald
24-01-2020, 04:28 PM
I would suggest he is indeed paying back on the pitch. Which is why Celtic are reportedly interested.

Loyalty is great, but a move like that is likely life changing for Boyle. Im not suggesting he would kick up a stink by the way. But I would be surprised if he didnt want to go.
How long has he been back? How many games? He’s hardly kicked a ball for over a year. Agree he is looking great now.

Gordy M
24-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Thing is, some players just go through a wee purple patch, im not saying Boyle is......but IF thats the case, we need to consider whether we cash in......

ben johnson
24-01-2020, 04:41 PM
Celtic were talking to Hibs about MB but his injury scuppered the bid
Funnily enough he has transformed himself into a far better player than he was prior to his injury so we might get a bit more for him.
He has a young family to look after so can’t complain if he puts them before anything else
Over to you Ron if he goes.

MagicSwirlingShip
24-01-2020, 04:42 PM
There’s an old saying my Granpa used to tell my Dad when he was wee; “Hibs would sell their Granny, son” - hasn’t changed in 50 odd years and it’s likely it never will.

Players come, player’s go. It’s par for the course

green day
24-01-2020, 04:44 PM
There’s an old saying my Granpa used to tell my Dad when he was wee; “Hibs would sell their Granny, son” - hasn’t changed in 50 odd years and it’s likely it never will.

Players come, player’s go. It’s par for the course

Surely that is the same for any club - perhaps outside of a Liverpool / Barcelona / Madrid / Juventus?

Greenbeard
24-01-2020, 04:52 PM
And that will really get the season tickets moving. No ambition to hold onto our best player who still has 18 months left would be disastrous for our support.
Another reason to do the business now, not wait until ST renewal time when his departure might have a greater negative effect on renewals, although I'd question for how many folk MB leaving will be the deciding factor in whether or not they renew. Folk have to accept, if he keeps his form and stays free of another long-term injury he will be leaving.

Cataplana
24-01-2020, 04:58 PM

As Boyle didn't cost us a penny, we should be looking to find another Martin Boyle. Fear not for Hibs, we sell players to cover our costs, it's what medium sized clubs do.

Real Emerald
24-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Celtic were talking to Hibs about MB but his injury scuppered the bid
Funnily enough he has transformed himself into a far better player than he was prior to his injury so we might get a bit more for him.
He has a young family to look after so can’t complain if he puts them before anything else
Over to you Ron if he goes.
I think you’re last sentence is the important one. As fans we have no confidence or any evidence that any money is forthcoming to improve us. It’s questionable whether any money taken in would be even used for transfers. Until we know Ron’s strategy I would rather hold on to our best players as we have no need whatsoever to sell and I’m sure Martin Boyle would be fine with that given the length of time he’s been looked after by Hibs.

HoboHarry
24-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Surely that is the same for any club - perhaps outside of a Liverpool / Barcelona / Madrid / Juventus?
:agree: It is though Man City could maybe be added to that list if it comes down to money.

WhileTheChief..
24-01-2020, 05:14 PM
Just shows how weak our squad is when folk are now saying he’s our best player.

We’ll be fine if he goes.

hibeerealist
24-01-2020, 05:31 PM

Man Utd, Man City.....Liverpool sold Moutinho and Suarez when they wanted to hold onto them odd that you would use them as the team from England to use as an example

green day
24-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Man Utd, Man City.....Liverpool sold Moutinho and Suarez when they wanted to hold onto them odd that you would use them as the team from England to use as an example

I was using "teams with shedloads of cash" in my example, ffs :rolleyes:

You can pick holes in any argument, but - to be honest - all you have done with the Suarez / Moutinho examples is back up my argument that almost all clubs are "selling clubs" and Hibs are no different.

Brightside
24-01-2020, 05:35 PM

WE dont all agree. He's just one player. Having a good run of form. If he leaves someone else will take his place. Thats change may make us better or it may make us worse.

24-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Just hope if Boyle does go we get at least the £1.5m, plus a sell on clause, and we've got someone decent lined up to bring in this window.

hibsbollah
24-01-2020, 05:37 PM

You can pick holes in any argument, but - to be honest - all you have done with the Suarez / Moutinho examples is back up my argument that almost all clubs are "selling clubs" and Hibs are no different.

You also forgot PSG
:tsk tsk:
Hence your whole point is completely redundant
:bitchy:

HoboHarry
24-01-2020, 05:37 PM

:agree: The point has been made numerous times but some prefer their own narrative regardless of the blindingly obvious. When a player has a suitor and he wants to go then he almost always does.

green day
24-01-2020, 05:38 PM
You also forgot PSG
:tsk tsk:
Hence your whole point is completely redundant
:bitchy:

:wink:

Hibbyradge
24-01-2020, 05:59 PM

No, it really isn't.

How many players have we sold in the years you've watched Hibs?

How many have been sold like that? Brown? Thomson? SJM?

If anything, O'Connor's transfer is the exception that proves the rule.

EI255
24-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Yip. What's the point on planning and getting in a great young manager when you lose your best talent?

Hibs HAVE to say NO!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

whiskyhibby
24-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Absolutely and withAustralia going to play in Copa America this year then Boyles profile will increase and hopefully any subsequent transfer fee, it would be bonkers to sell him now to Celtic for a paltry £1.5M

Kano Kirsty
24-01-2020, 06:36 PM
I know a friend of Martins family and they reckon he is going nowhere.

Not claiming to be the font of all knowledge but I think he’ll be here until the summer at least. He loves it at Hibs. 👍