PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous levels of stress in football fans

Anthony Soprano
24-01-2020, 11:44 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51222376

Would be interesting to see similar tests done at Easter Road, surely there aren't many teams more stressful to support than us.

Since452
24-01-2020, 11:51 AM
The joy, stress, anxiety then elation I went through in the last 3 minutes alone on 21/5/16 backs that report up. I went through the ringer so much I was strangly flat and shattered that evening. It definitely takes it right out you

CallumLaidlaw
24-01-2020, 11:51 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51222376

Would be interesting to see similar tests done at Easter Road, surely there aren't many teams more stressful to support than us.

Would hate to see what mine look like in the last 20 minutes of a derby when we’re ahead. Especially at Tynecastle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2020, 11:54 AM
The joy, stress, anxiety then elation I went through in the last 3 minutes alone on 21/5/16 backs that report up. I went through the ringer so much I was strangly flat and shattered that evening. It definitely takes it right out you

I was like that after The Skol Cup Final, completely the opposite after the Killie and Rangers finals, could've and did carry on for days! 🍺

Smartie
24-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Interesting stuff.

I may have mentioned this before, but a guy I know who is a season ticket holder at Tottenham Hotspur had witnessed 3 cardiac arrests at White Hart Lane in recent years - 2 amongst the fans around him then Fabrice Muamba was the third although obviously that happened on the pitch.

Personally, I've stopped going to Hibs games against Rangers and Celtic and I've stopped going to Tynecastle, mainly because I've noticed that I get wound up to a level that is just not healthy, and as a 42 year old who carries a bit of timber and has a very stressful job I've just decided it is something I can do without.

Jones28
24-01-2020, 11:59 AM
I was like that after The Skol Cup Final, completely the opposite after the Killie and Rangers finals, could've and did carry on for days! 🍺

I did 😂 I’ve only been elated like that 3 times, if I could bottle that feeling I’d be a billionaire.

Since452
24-01-2020, 12:03 PM

I was genuinely dead on my feet. Tried to get drunk but couldn't. Was surreal. The next day at the parade was a different story!

WeeRussell
24-01-2020, 12:13 PM

Absolutely. One of thine things I noted... we were shattered.

Got going again back in Leith for a couple of hours but even then had to retire early.

Emotion does indeed tire you out.

Oh.. and it's a long run to the Rangers end as well :greengrin

Northernhibee
24-01-2020, 12:15 PM
I'm surprised that there weren't ten or so cardiac arrests at the cup final in those last two minutes and I'm being serious. Never felt nerves or even downright terror like that before, or indeed the change in emotion after the final whistle went.

24-01-2020, 12:59 PM
I'm surprised that there weren't ten or so cardiac arrests at the cup final in those last two minutes and I'm being serious. Never felt nerves or even downright terror like that before, or indeed the change in emotion after the final whistle went.

The ref perhaps saved one or two by awarding us that free kick that should've been theirs. Imagine what it would've been like if they'd been able to put one last ball into our box.

we are hibs
24-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Someone should test hibs fans stress levels everytime we take a throw in.

nonshinyfinish
24-01-2020, 06:06 PM
I agree about the astonishing emotional stress levels of the SC final, but I've found that since then I'm a bit more zen about watching Hibs. It's not that I'm completely calm now, I still can and do get worked up and nervous, but not to the same degree. Losing still stings but not as much, somehow.

Iggy Pope
24-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Interesting stuff.

I may have mentioned this before, but a guy I know who is a season ticket holder at Tottenham Hotspur had witnessed 3 cardiac arrests at White Hart Lane in recent years - 2 amongst the fans around him then Fabrice Muamba was the third although obviously that happened on the pitch.

Personally, I've stopped going to Hibs games against Rangers and Celtic and I've stopped going to Tynecastle, mainly because I've noticed that I get wound up to a level that is just not healthy, and as a 42 year old who carries a bit of timber and has a very stressful job I've just decided it is something I can do without.

42. Get yerself sat beside me.

Iggy Pope
24-01-2020, 09:18 PM
I was like that after The Skol Cup Final, completely the opposite after the Killie and Rangers finals, could've and did carry on for days! ��

You were still a laddie in 1991 though :greengrin

allezsauzee
24-01-2020, 09:21 PM
There's an older couple in the West sitting behind me who manage to get themselves wound up about opposition players stealing a few yards at a throw in even if they are deep in their own half. I do worry at least of one of them is going to keel over during a match!

Deansy
24-01-2020, 10:36 PM
There's an older couple in the West sitting behind me who manage to get themselves wound up about opposition players stealing a few yards at a throw in even if they are deep in their own half. I do worry at least of one of them is going to keel over during a match!

Being honest. its one of my pet-hates too - made worse by the fact that our players infuriatingly 'play the game' and never do it !

Bristolhibby
24-01-2020, 10:37 PM

I started shaking and felt like I was going to throw up until full time. Then I burst into tears.

Was also crying before the Hearts final. The lad behind me was also in tears.

So much emotion in this game we love.

Find it ironic that that article is full of weeping Brazil fans. Purleese! Right enough, it’s tough supporting Brazil.

Try being a Hibs and Scotland fan.

J

weecounty hibby
24-01-2020, 10:38 PM
Being honest. its one of my pet-hates too - made worse by the fact that our players infuriatingly 'play the game' and never do it !

Keep an eye on Lewis tomorrow then, he steals yards at every throw in.

mjhibby
24-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Dr Robert Winston in one of his programmes following England fans at the world cup stated that the pain of losing is two and a half time stronger than the joy of winning so I'm not surprised at those findings at all. It use to spoil my whole weekend if Hibs lost. Now it's just my sat/weds night. Age obviously mellowing me.😅

tamig
24-01-2020, 10:59 PM
I was genuinely dead on my feet. Tried to get drunk but couldn't. Was surreal. The next day at the parade was a different story!

You are the resurrection. Welcome back my friend 😀

Stonewall
24-01-2020, 11:12 PM

Me too. I was absolutely spent by the time I got home.

Before the game I said to my wife she’d see me when she’d see me if we won. Just went home had a couple of glasses of whisky and went to bed.

Gloucester Hibs
25-01-2020, 01:14 AM
The Boxing Day Derby I was stressed out my mind watching it at home on the telly, and that was probably one of the least stressful of recent times in so much as we took an early lead and then fairly soon after had a 2 goal cushion! I find watching games on the telly a lot more stressful than watching them live in person for some reason.

Bishop Hibee
25-01-2020, 01:23 AM
Ach the more stressfully crazy the better. Makes you feel alive!

NAE NOOKIE
25-01-2020, 01:39 AM
Like practically everybody the last two minutes of the SC final were as nerve wracked as I've ever felt at a game of football, I just sat with my eyes shut and my hands over my ears repeating hold out, hold out, hold out over and over at the top of my voice .... if that had been in the street they would have come to take me away :greengrin

Funnily enough I don't get too stressed when I'm actually at games these days. For some reason if I'm watching Hibs on the telly and especially away at Tynecastle I get far more stressed out ... strange :confused:

I'm not that surprised that the study found lassies got just as stressed as the blokes ... some of the Hibs supporting females I've known are proper mental :wink:

Smartie
25-01-2020, 01:41 AM
Ach the more stressfully crazy the better. Makes you feel alive!

That was the thing about the last Tynecastle derby I went to. It was the one when the linesmen and Lennon were hit by coins and there was a steady stream of projectiles flying back and forward between the stands.

It was hell, it was a nightmare getting in, the football was diabolical and I was just desperate for us not to lose.

Then we scraped our point and I went home fairly happy.

FilipinoHibs
25-01-2020, 06:36 AM
The old firm and the derby and stress and heart rates are high. Even the 5-1 league cup final against Killie, untillit was 4-1 I was stressed. This seasons been with the late goals conceded. Just waiting for the anguish. Iand I am watching on Hibs TV.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2020, 07:06 AM

Yep. When the winning goal went in I was going mental, I felt feelings that I had never felt before and I'm unlikely to ever experience again. Then when the game finished I was very happy but I was also stunned and then leaving the stadium and driving home it was quite a surreal feeling, almost a bit anti-climactic. It was a very weird feeling for a few hours afterwards.

hibee-boys
25-01-2020, 08:14 AM
I get most worked up trying to listen to games on the radio, I think it's due to the fact that the commentary is so poor with open mike you never have a clue what the heck is going on.....switch off half the time. I am a lot more chilled these days at games, still have the odd rant, age has definately chilled me out!

Smartie
25-01-2020, 12:05 PM
I get most worked up trying to listen to games on the radio, I think it's due to the fact that the commentary is so poor with open mike you never have a clue what the heck is going on.....switch off half the time. I am a lot more chilled these days at games, still have the odd rant, age has definately chilled me out!

Listening to football on the radio used to be a pleasure. Last 5 mins of the first half commentary and the whole second half, with updates from other grounds.

It’s now just a racket.

lyonhibs
25-01-2020, 12:35 PM
I remember celebrating Kerr's goal at Tynecastle in the Roseburn Stand so hard that I could feel my heart thumping in my chest and had genuine little black spots in my peripheral vision after about 30 seconds or so. Would've been a scary experience had I really thought about it too much

SideBurns
25-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Interesting stuff.

I made a decision as I walked out the game against the Huns before Christmas that I won't be at the next one. I don't recognise myself as this wound up, angry lunatic; it's a ridiculous state for a man of my age to get into.

The lead up to derbies and subsequent 90 minutes are so stressful that my first emotion when the final whistle blows is one of complete relief. Then, if we've won, total joy and I'll go to the pub for a singsong and get pished 😁

WoreTheGreen
25-01-2020, 01:00 PM
The Boxing Day Derby I was stressed out my mind watching it at home on the telly, and that was probably one of the least stressful of recent times in so much as we took an early lead and then fairly soon after had a 2 goal cushion! I find watching games on the telly a lot more stressful than watching them live in person for some reason.

Don’t watch derby games on the tv I get to wound up but not if it’s at ER (not been to tiny since Gordon Hunter game) however this Boxing Day game we were invited to my brothers house for the game before going out to eat.The place going mad at the second goal my brother said with 15 minutes to go “ if you were at the game you’d be away by now “I answered your right and walked out his house and walked round the block till final whistle.sad I know but willing us to win gets to much sometimes. My daughter got one of these Apple Watches and during the game her dress levels were sky high I dread to think what my reading would have been

SideBurns
25-01-2020, 01:19 PM
Don’t watch derby games on the tv I get to wound up but not if it’s at ER (not been to tiny since Gordon Hunter game) however this Boxing Day game we were invited to my brothers house for the game before going out to eat.The place going mad at the second goal my brother said with 15 minutes to go “ if you were at the game you’d be away by now “I answered your right and walked out his house and walked round the block till final whistle.sad I know but willing us to win gets to much sometimes. My daughter got one of these Apple Watches and during the game her dress levels were sky high I dread to think what my reading would have been

I watched the Boxing Day game in Gladstones, and went for a walk with 20 mins to go as had this horrible feeling that if they got one back they'd score another. I had an idea to take refuge in St.Mary Star of the Sea with my phone turned off, but the gates were locked! Was on my my back to Gladstones and was almost passing Wilkies Bar when finally got a text to say it was all over. My pace suddenly quickened for the last hundred yards or so!

Glory Lurker
25-01-2020, 02:42 PM
It really is ridiculous that we get so emotionally involved!

I guess there are few factors that could affect it all.

Is the size of the crowd relevant? I imagine that the larger the shared experience, the higher the tension. But, is it apparent in large rugby crowds? Is there something inherent in the game of football that makes it more demanding on the emotions? Or is there something about football that attracts emotional people?

Since452
25-01-2020, 02:56 PM
I started shaking and felt like I was going to throw up until full time. Then I burst into tears.

Was also crying before the Hearts final. The lad behind me was also in tears.

So much emotion in this game we love.

Find it ironic that that article is full of weeping Brazil fans. Purleese! Right enough, it’s tough supporting Brazil.

Try being a Hibs and Scotland fan.

J

Same here. Walked into Hampden for the 2012 final in tears. Was an emotional wreck. The weeks of build up just hit me. So did the alcohol!

hibee_girl
25-01-2020, 03:13 PM
I genuinely worried about my Grandad every cup final we’ve been too, was terrified the stress was going to kill him.

Now strangely enough I think he’d be fine, now he’s actually seen us win it.