PDA

View Full Version : Jack Ross So Far

hibby rae
24-01-2020, 09:01 AM
I think we'd all agree we've seen a massive improvement since JR took over. Third is most likely beyond us but we should aim for fourth, with fifth probably being most likely. Given we were looking like relegation fodder before things could be worse, hopefully one or two more signings without losing Boyle and we can see what happens.

This was on the BBC which highlights the improvement:

'Over the course of his first 10 league games in charge, only Rangers, Celtic and Motherwell have picked up more points. The latter of which - considered by many to be the in-form team of the season - lead Ross' side by a single point.'

Since452
24-01-2020, 09:06 AM
I was very impressed with his post game interview on Wednesday. Encouraging Slivka and Hallberg to enjoy the win as much as the others is brilliant man management and the opposite to what's happening across the city for instance. That on top of making the half time changes and complely turning the game around made me think a lot more of him than I did previously. Doidge and Hanlon alluded to a few ***** being booted at half time. He comes across as a nice guy but definitely someone with a bit of athority about him too which Hecky really didn't. I thought it was a good appointment at the time and one both parties couldn't really turn down. Reminds me very much of when McInnes went to Aberdeen.

makaveli1875
24-01-2020, 09:17 AM
He's doing well , Only really bad loss was Ross County and the draw with Killie wasnt great . Folk will say Livi was a bad 1 but i disagree they are pretty much unbeatable on the rubber pitch . Good wins against on form Motherwell , Anti football Aberdeen and obviously the win at the PBS .
Hopefully the board back him with cash to start bringing his own players in

Anthony Soprano
24-01-2020, 09:32 AM
Don't think we can fully make a fair assessment till he gets the money and backing from the board to bring in his own players.

Having said that I feel he's done well so far, a few poor games but overall a massive improvement from Heckingbottom.

Also showed against hamilton that he's willing to make changes early on to turn a game around, one of my gripes with previous managers is waiting far too late to make changes and by the time they do the game is gone. He made two changes at half time and the third came a few minutes later, he got it spot on and the subs he made changed the game.

Read an interview with hanlon saying that at half time JR was the angriest the squad had seen him, he comes across as a very calm, collected guy but it's good to know he's got that bit of steel about him and isn't afraid to give the players a kick up the a*** when needed.

B.H.F.C
24-01-2020, 09:47 AM
I’d probably say it’s been a fairly steady start. We should actually have a few more points on the board since he came in.

Quite encouraged by the start we’ve made in moving players on. Don’t expect anything terribly exciting to happen in this window in terms of players coming in, it’ll be the summer and in to next season before we really see what he is about IMO. Think the rest of the season will be more of the same and we’ll struggle for any real consistency.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2020, 09:57 AM
Very happy with him and think there is much more to come. Some of our forward play is sublime, but it goes with out saying that we need to tighten up defensively. It's certainly been an entertaining period since he arrived.

Turning draws into wins makes a big difference, draws can kill your progress in this league - it was draws that stopped us having a truly amazing season under Lennon in 2017-18.

Since Ross came in he has lost as many league games (4) in his ten in charge as Hecky did in his 11 - of course the major difference is that Ross has won five and drawn one of the other games, whilst PH won one and drew six. JR's points per game so far (1.6) is double what Hecky's was.

Motherwell have lost two more games than Aberdeen and as many as us and Livi (8), but have only drawn once, and obviously their 13 wins from 22 is excellent - they only took one point from their first two games as well - and they haven't gone more than three league games in a row without being beaten this season. They just haven't drawn since the first day of the season, which is pretty amazing.

This place can go into meltdown when we lose matches but as long as we have a healthy win ratio, regular losses are not the end of the world. The Mowbray era was pretty much made up of wins and losses in the league.

Kaff
24-01-2020, 10:09 AM
I said in the 1st half of the match thread that I was concerned if we lost that we'd be dragged into bottom 6.
This was mainly due to the squad losing confidence and becoming fragile but JR has basically allayed any of those fears now showing that he can rouse the team and make effective personnel changes to get a result from a losing position.
He always comes across well and this has added to my confidence in him now, I'm sure the players will respect his public stance defending them but not holding back on team changes, really hope we can reel in Livi and then Aberdeen, would be a great achievement alongside a good cup run:flag:

WhileTheChief..
24-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Results could have been better but performances have been mostly decent.

At least I can sense that he has a style he wants to play and I like how he comes across in interviews. I think he'll do really well with us.

My own view is that we just don't have a very good squad just now. I'm not hating on anyone, i just think they are all pretty much average SPFL standard players.

This season was ruined by Heckingbottom. We'll finish 5th or 6th in the league but can hopefully get to the semis of the cup at least.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2020, 10:28 AM

Ironically at this exact point last year, after Lennon's last game, we had a healthier points total (29 from 22 games) but were down in 8th, seven points behind Hearts in 6th (36 points) - and Motherwell were five points behind us in 9th. Killie were 2nd on 44 points, and St. Johnstone 5th with 37.

Just shows you what can happen in a year.

Saint Hibee
24-01-2020, 10:37 AM
There's certainly been an improvement, but I'm not yet sure I'd call it a "massive" improvement.

PeeJay
24-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Not convinced yet - he will need to do a great deal better than he has done in some of the games we have had - don't care much for the "he needs to bring in his own players..." theory: we've seen that work so well!
Have to wish him well and hope that it all works out - I don't see any real structure/tactical vision in the team and basic mistakes are still being made all over the park.
The way I see it, we have some decent players, some really good ones - a good manager, along with his coaching team, should be capable of achieving better and more consistent performances than we are experiencing ...

HibeeHibernian4
24-01-2020, 10:44 AM
I think if he can sort the defence we're onto a real winner with him.

worcesterhibby
24-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Very happy with him and think there is much more to come. Some of our forward play is sublime, but it goes with out saying that we need to tighten up defensively. It's certainly been an entertaining period since he arrived.

Turning draws into wins makes a big difference, draws can kill your progress in this league - it was draws that stopped us having a truly amazing season under Lennon in 2017-18.

Since Ross came in he has lost as many league games (4) in his ten in charge as Hecky did in his 11 - of course the major difference is that Ross has won five and drawn one of the other games, whilst PH won one and drew six. JR's points per game so far (1.6) is double what Hecky's was.

Motherwell have lost two more games than Aberdeen and as many as us and Livi (8), but have only drawn once, and obviously their 13 wins from 22 is excellent - they only took one point from their first two games as well - and they haven't gone more than three league games in a row without being beaten this season. They just haven't drawn since the first day of the season, which is pretty amazing.

This place can go into meltdown when we lose matches but as long as we have a healthy win ratio, regular losses are not the end of the world. The Mowbray era was pretty much made up of wins and losses in the league.

Some very interesting stats and points made. I guess this is exactly why 3 points for a win was introduced. It's not always easy for Fans to support the club logically though..what we crave most of all is wins, particularly home wins. This is particularly true when the nature of the draws were like under Heck when we always seemed to lead and then be pegged back. leading and "throwing away" the lead always feels much worse than scoring late to get a draw when you are behind. Of course it makes no difference to the points, but it provides more joy for supporters. If you really want to be a successful manager of a club like Hibs, the trick is to win your home games and be better at snatching draws from defeats rather than the other way round.

If we came fifth in the league having won the majority of our home games, beaten Hearts home and away had a win against Rangers in the league and most of our draws were when we saved games we would have a happy support.

If we came fifth in the league on the same number of points as above having won most of our games away from home, been beaten home and away by hearts, lost convincingly to the Old Firm in our games against them and most of our draws were matches we went ahead in, we would have a very unhappy support.

That's football.

Tyler Durden
24-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Couldn’t make the game on Wednesday and clearly the first half was a shocker but I was still shocked to see some of the rubbish posted on the match thread. That Jack Ross could take us down. And how we should be worried about getting dragged down towards the play off spot.

Some fans seem to focus on all our negative points whilst only highlighting positives for the other teams. Going on about Aberdeen for example when we’ve played them off the park twice this season and have taken more points than them since the new manager came in.

I’m not sure Jack Ross could’ve done any better than what we’ve seen to date.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2020, 11:01 AM
Given the position that we were in when he arrived, even after that big win away at St. Johnstone, I really don't think we could have asked for much better than we've had from nearly a full cycle of fixtures. The OF are miles ahead and have beaten us comfortably, but we have comfortably beaten the 3rd and 4th best teams at home, and Hearts away, with the St. Mirren and Hamilton wins being very timely also.

I've seen better Hibs team than this one go away up north midweek and come away with nothing, same goes for Livi at Almondvale, where their record is superb. The only one that sticks in my throat a bit is the Killie draw at home, as we were superb that day - win that and it really would have been an outstanding start.

Our propensity to throw away leads, and the amount of goals were are conceding are still a concern - but as I said before JR has doubled PH's point per game tally for this season to a very healthy 1.6, and if you look at where we are versus the league table when he arrived, the improvement is significant in such a short space of time.

Very optimistic that we have the right man, and that we are going to be a very enjoyable team to watch.

Hibeewilly
24-01-2020, 11:03 AM
I’d probably say it’s been a fairly steady start. We should actually have a few more points on the board since he came in.

Quite encouraged by the start we’ve made in moving players on. Don’t expect anything terribly exciting to happen in this window in terms of players coming in, it’ll be the summer and in to next season before we really see what he is about IMO. Think the rest of the season will be more of the same and we’ll struggle for any real consistency.

I hope you're wrong about players coming in BHFC...….I hoping at least 3. I don't think we would have let Shaw go if we didn't have another striker lined up.
We appear to be trying to get McNulty on a permanent deal so maybe something has been agreed there....here's hoping

Northernhibee
24-01-2020, 11:12 AM
If I was to give him a grade so far, it'd be a B minus or a B.

He's improved the quality of football, our league standing and he's getting the best out of the likes of Doidge, Boyle and Newell.

Still not found an answer to our defensive issues and we've had some concerning results and performances, but good recruitment in the rest of the window could see the grade increase to a B plus.

Sammy7nil
24-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Jeez Hearts have had two outstanding draws :wink: and their manager is dubbed the new Kloppers Choppers and can do no wrong.

Our manager has good start beating Aberdeen and winning at the PBS and the jury appears to be in his favour but is still deliberating.

Spot the difference in realism :greengrin :thumbsup:

Unseen work
24-01-2020, 11:23 AM
I was desperate for us to appoint him and I’m delighted we done so.

For the squad he has he’s done very well and made us climb the table to a respectable position. With a couple of transfer windows I have full confidence he’ll get us up where we should be.

24-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Couldn’t make the game on Wednesday and clearly the first half was a shocker but I was still shocked to see some of the rubbish posted on the match thread. That Jack Ross could take us down. And how we should be worried about getting dragged down towards the play off spot.

Some fans seem to focus on all our negative points whilst only highlighting positives for the other teams. Going on about Aberdeen for example when we’ve played them off the park twice this season and have taken more points than them since the new manager came in.

I’m not sure Jack Ross could’ve done any better than what we’ve seen to date.

Didn't read the match day thread but I'd guess the people coming out with stuff like JR could take us down are the sort who like to later say they "called it" first because they think it makes them look like some kind of football genius. They spout all sorts of nonsense but never refer back to the 99% which they "called" completely wrong.

Hibs90
24-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Not fully convinced but he needs his own players in. Next season is the time to judge. Although if we sell Boyle going by his words the other day I wouldn't blame him if he quit at all.

GreenPJ
24-01-2020, 11:47 AM
6.5/10

Wilson
24-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Not fully convinced but he needs his own players in. Next season is the time to judge. Although if we sell Boyle going by his words the other day I wouldn't blame him if he quit at all.

I would absolutely blame him if he quit. Player turnover is one of the realities of being a head coach. So Boyle is the last person he'd want to lose? Hard lines because that also makes him the first player anyone wants to buy.

He's in a good job with good people supporting the football operation. You don't quit because of a player sale. Not at hibs, aberdeen, or anywhere else. Driving on in spite of the need to make sales is a big part of the job.

ABZHFC
24-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Away form is still a bit of an issue, losing too many games to teams around us on the round. That said, get a point or three at Fir Park tomorrow and we have quite a few winnable home games coming up

hibby rae
24-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Given the position that we were in when he arrived, even after that big win away at St. Johnstone, I really don't think we could have asked for much better than we've had from nearly a full cycle of fixtures. The OF are miles ahead and have beaten us comfortably, but we have comfortably beaten the 3rd and 4th best teams at home, and Hearts away, with the St. Mirren and Hamilton wins being very timely also.

I've seen better Hibs team than this one go away up north midweek and come away with nothing, same goes for Livi at Almondvale, where their record is superb. The only one that sticks in my throat a bit is the Killie draw at home, as we were superb that day - win that and it really would have been an outstanding start.

Our propensity to throw away leads, and the amount of goals were are conceding are still a concern - but as I said before JR has doubled PH's point per game tally for this season to a very healthy 1.6, and if you look at where we are versus the league table when he arrived, the improvement is significant in such a short space of time.

Very optimistic that we have the right man, and that we are going to be a very enjoyable team to watch.

I think we may see a lot of value from the Killie result in the future, more than the solitary three points we would have gained.

It probably told Jack Ross a lot about the players and the problems he was inheriting. Setbacks are fine as long as they are used as a learning experience. Something obviously his predecessor was unable to do.

heretoday
24-01-2020, 12:12 PM
The manager rises and falls by results and they've been generally good so he's done well. We just can't afford the quality of player we need to progress but that's not his fault.

ancient hibee
24-01-2020, 12:21 PM
So if we beat Motherwell only the OF will have a better record than him over the time he’s been here.I would have thought most fans will think that’s pretty good although there will always be those that are never pleased.In his interview right after the game he was clearly annoyed that players had not followed instructions and that was why he made the changes.I think that’s excellent,no mucking about.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2020, 12:23 PM
I'm optimistic although I can't see how we're going to finish in the top 4. From where we were 3 months ago though we're in a far healthier position now.

We still concede far too many goals though and that is a huge concern for me and hopefully seen as a priority for the management to sort out over the coming months.

I was pleased we appointed Ross and I'm still confident we made the right choice based on how we have done so far.

I'm Spartacus
24-01-2020, 12:44 PM
He's doing well , Only really bad loss was Ross County and the draw with Killie wasnt great . Folk will say Livi was a bad 1 but i disagree they are pretty much unbeatable on the rubber pitch . Good wins against on form Motherwell , Anti football Aberdeen and obviously the win at the PBS .
Hopefully the board back him with cash to start bringing his own players in

Just sitting having the usual Friday staff room football debate an there are still folk who think he's only papered over the cracks, Hamilton were really difficulty to play against the other night and I think first and foremost we take a win at all costs. I'm happy with how it's going and can see us growing into a great 'team' again as the weeks go by.

Keith_M
24-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Our league record under Ross so far is

P - 11, W - 5, D - 2, L - 4

Plus one draw in the cup to Dundee United.

It's not a bad record but I'm hoping we can do better than that.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2020, 02:10 PM

That's his overall record. Take out the cup game and it's a 50% win ratio from his ten league games - which is very good.

Weegreenman
24-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Getting Boyle back has been the major factor for me. Doidge starting to score goals also.
I reckon Hecky was a tad unlucky in this respect.

Peevemor
24-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Getting Boyle back has been the major factor for me. Doidge starting to score goals also.
I reckon Hecky was a tad unlucky in this respect.We started winning games when Boyle was still regaining fitness and coming off the bench.

Doidge started scoring as soon as he had a striking partner. That he didn't before was Hecky's choice and nothing to do with luck.

Since452
24-01-2020, 04:46 PM
We started winning games when Boyle was still regaining fitness and coming off the bench.

Doidge started scoring as soon as he had a striking partner. That he didn't before was Hecky's choice and nothing to do with luck.

Bang on. I'm afraid Hecky made his own luck. Played Doidge up front on his own and he struggled. Puts a player up with him and he turns into a goal machine. Same with Newell and playing him out wide. I remember when he signed, Joe said he wasn't a winger. Hecky leaves and the boy looks class in the middle. Credit Hecky for signing them but he really didn't know how to get the best out them

my left peg
24-01-2020, 08:02 PM
He needs backed in the transfer market.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
24-01-2020, 08:09 PM

Word for word. Can’t complain.

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 08:13 PM
No bad, he’s here for the long run though and give him time and backing he will turn us into a force in the league.

The Spaceman
24-01-2020, 08:20 PM
7.5/10.

Happy with the progress we have clearly made. We still require surgery and the injury list is not helping our cause. Think he demonstrated well against Hamilton he’s got a good awareness of how to turn a game around when our chips are down.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2020, 10:37 PM

2 of those defeats were against Rangers and Celtic and whilst I don't like admitting it, they are both operating on a different level entirely.

We've had 4 disappointing results so far under Jack Ross, at Ross County, Livingston and Dundee Utd and at home to Kilmarnock.

Still not a fantastic ratio but I'm confident that once he sorts our defence out then we'll improve massively.

HibeeHibernian4
24-01-2020, 11:29 PM
2 of those defeats were against Rangers and Celtic and whilst I don't like admitting it, they are both operating on a different level entirely.

We've had 4 disappointing results so far under Jack Ross, at Ross County, Livingston and Dundee Utd and at home to Kilmarnock.

Still not a fantastic ratio but I'm confident that once he sorts our defence out then we'll improve massively.

I'd say you can't yet call Dundee United a disappointing result. If we go and win the replay then I'd say that was job done in the Tannadice game, and Ross didn't slip on a very big banana peel in the form of a trip to the high-flying runaway leaders of the second tier.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2020, 05:29 AM
I'd say you can't yet call Dundee United a disappointing result. If we go and win the replay then I'd say that was job done in the Tannadice game, and Ross didn't slip on a very big banana peel in the form of a trip to the high-flying runaway leaders of the second tier.

Being ahead twice against a team from a lower division and failing to win the game should always be considered as a disappointing result.

Borderhibbie76
25-01-2020, 06:13 AM
Being ahead twice against a team from a lower division and failing to win the game should always be considered as a disappointing result.

I disagree...technically they are a lower league team but we all know they are an SPL team in all but name and at the very least they will be upper bottom 6 too

Sir David Gray
25-01-2020, 06:17 AM
I disagree...technically they are a lower league team but we all know they are an SPL team in all but name and at the very least they will be upper bottom 6 too

Really? I thought they were garbage last Sunday and nowhere near as good as Hamilton were in the first half on Wednesday and they're second bottom of the Premiership.

We were by far the better team in that game and should have won. The fact we didn't is disappointing.

B.H.F.C
25-01-2020, 06:32 AM

They were crap, had two shots on target and we should have had the tie done and dusted. The way it went it was definitely a disappointing result.

Onceinawhile
25-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Form from the last 10 league games has us 4th.

That's a good job with an average squad. Hopefully we can deliver a few better players in January and summer and we can finish 5th this year and have a positive end to the season.

I suspect we will lose today however and we'll be back to having folk moan about him.

B.H.F.C
25-01-2020, 06:58 AM
Form from the last 10 league games has us 4th.

That's a good job with an average squad. Hopefully we can deliver a few better players in January and summer and we can finish 5th this year and have a positive end to the season.

I suspect we will lose today however and we'll be back to having folk moan about him.

Folk will moan if we lose today because, if we do, any hope of reaching the European places is gone. That might not all be down to him, and I haven’t seen too much criticism directed at him in fairness, but more so at the club generally IMO.

The Harp Awakes
25-01-2020, 07:09 AM
There has been a definite improvement since he came in and his use of subs during games has been very good. We're still far too inconsistent for my liking though, and the biggest disappointment for me was our performances in the games v Rangers and Celtic in December - we were passive and didn't lay a glove on them. A B- on the report card for me, with Hecky being a D-

Onceinawhile
25-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Folk will moan if we lose today because, if we do, any hope of reaching the European places is gone. That might not all be down to him, and I haven’t seen too much criticism directed at him in fairness, but more so at the club generally IMO.

But that's not his fault. That's down to the poor start we made under Hecky.

Also, we would still have a decent chance of making the European places by either 1) winning the Scottish or 2) finishing 4th, which would still be achievable (assuming one of the Old firm win it).

Scorrie
25-01-2020, 09:29 AM
For me I think we potentially have a cracking manager. Will be v interesting to see what we’re like when he had his own players in but Hibs and Ross seem like a good fit

Eyrie
25-01-2020, 09:32 AM

It's the equivalent of a round of league fixtures, so I wouldn't discount the two Ugly Sister games.

I'd think five wins from eleven is a good ratio when we look at our history since the top flight changed to playing each other four times.

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2020, 09:42 AM
First half Vs Hamilton probably as bad as we've played all season. Livi was also absolutely brutal, no gameplan at all.

I'm not sure yet, I definitely had a bad feeling at half time on Wednesday that he was clueless.

jacomo
25-01-2020, 09:47 AM
No bad, he’s here for the long run though and give him time and backing he will turn us into a force in the league.

:agree:

Feel confident we are on the right path with Jack.

jacomo
25-01-2020, 09:49 AM
First half Vs Hamilton probably as bad as we've played all season. Livi was also absolutely brutal, no gameplan at all.

I'm not sure yet, I definitely had a bad feeling at half time on Wednesday that he was clueless.

I have that bad feeling about a lot of your posts.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2020, 10:01 AM

We've only played 10 league games so far under Jack Ross, your stats include the Dundee Utd game, the draw with them isn't on top of those stats.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2020, 10:06 AM
B- for me.

We are undoubtedly better than under the previous incumbent but that was a low starting point. We look more threatening going forward but still look very vulnerable defensively. He has shown more flexibility than Heckingbottom, which is a huge positive, would he have changed the shape straight after HT on Wednesday?

It's not a one window fix. The defence needs a rebuild over the next couple of seasons as age continues to catch up with the stalwarts. People can argue about it not being fair to criticise these guys but age waits for no man. They all need replaced in the coming 2 or 3 seasons. Natural squad evolution also means there is a rotating door at most clubs in Scotland. I'd hope we are in a better position this time next year and I've seen enough to suggest Ross can deliver that.

Keith_M
25-01-2020, 10:11 AM

P - 11 W - 5, D - 2, L - 4

That's his overall record. Take out the cup game and it's a 50% win ratio from his ten league games - which is very good.

Take out the Cup Game and it's

P - 10, W - 5, D - 1, L - 4

Pretty Boy
25-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Take out the Cup Game and it's

P - 11, W - 5, D - 1, L - 4

An I missing a joke?

5+1+4 = 10.

erin go bragh
25-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Compared to the dull defensive football under the last incumbent.JR has been a breath of fresh air .
Yes we have had some setbacks but overall , the football,style,tempo has been good to watch .
Finishing fourth will be a big ask but you never no . A win today would certainly help .
Needs a decent defensive midfielder in this window. A quality striker and Effe would also help .

erin go bragh
25-01-2020, 10:16 AM
An I missing a joke?

5+1+4 = 10.
Looks like they have took out the cup draw with UTD but forgot to take it off the total games played .

Wilson
25-01-2020, 10:24 AM

And at full time?

KingPat4
25-01-2020, 10:33 AM
He's doing ok, 7/10 for me We desperately need that DM though. I'm hoping there may still be business done before the window shuts.

matty_f
25-01-2020, 10:47 AM
I'm for giving him time, I'm sure at St Mirren he took a while to get motoring but once he did they were excellent.
A similar impact here and we're laughing. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
25-01-2020, 10:54 AM
An I missing a joke?

5+1+4 = 10.

We have played 10 league games under Jack Ross;

Won - 5
Drawn - 1
Lost - 4

We have also played 1 cup match which ended in a draw, giving a total of;

Played - 11
Won - 5
Drawn - 2
Lost - 4

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2020, 10:54 AM
And at full time?Yes, definitely felt better. He got the 2nd half spot on. Wasn't afraid to take off Allan for Horgan who definitely made an impact.

I have that bad feeling about a lot of your posts.Thats great pal. Try and keep it on topic. I know its hard to resist but this thread is to talk about Jack Ross, not me.

Borderhibbie76
25-01-2020, 11:10 AM
Hes started reasonably well...dont feel he can truly be judged till next season as he doesnt have his own players yet and not been much movement in Jan thus far.

Next season is his real acid test but I'm pretty confident we have the right guy...he just needs proper backing from the Board which is where all my doubts currently lie

Keith_M
25-01-2020, 11:15 AM
An I missing a joke?

5+1+4 = 10.

Naw, Ah just forgot to change that.

Senility :-)

Keith_M
25-01-2020, 04:53 PM

That was obviously a premonition

:-)

we are hibs
25-01-2020, 05:27 PM
. At this moment in time i think hes done okay. I think we should wait until he has at least had the summer window before judging him. Obviously if he does extraordinarily well/badly before that then that may change but given how inconsistent we have been to this point i cant see us becoming a winning machine or one who hits a terrible run before then. We will probably stagger along playing really well some games and awful others and finish 6th.

bingo70
25-01-2020, 05:34 PM
I think he’s done alright. Still find this Hibs team really boring to watch, with the odd exception obviously.

It’s still very early days and he can only do so much with the current squad so too early to be critical of the manager. I’d hoped we might have been a lot busier in the transfer market up till now but again, that’s probably not the managers fault.

He’s making the most out of the very average squad he has available to him but hopefully come next season we are a bit better to watch.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2020, 06:42 PM
A good point today.

All hypothetical of course, but I wonder what folks’ opinions of Ross would be if we hadn’t appointed him and Hearts had, and he achieved the same results there as he has with us.

Content as I can be at the moment that we have the right man

Hibees1973
25-01-2020, 06:57 PM
First of all Ross comes across as a sensible, considered bloke.

The Hibs board will be relieved they don’t have to get involved in the type of cr*p they often had to deal with when Lennon was in charge. Don’t get me wrong, Lennon did have us playing attacking football that was great to watch, but I feel those with influence at Hibs were getting tiresome with his antics and the way he wound other people up.

As for Heckingbottom, I for one found it difficult to understand him and the way he wanted us to play. He didn’t understand the game up here, which is proved by hardly any of his signings fitting in. My opinion is Ross is a better fit for us than Hecky.

So far I would give Ross 6/10. My main concern is how he will work with our recruitment team. It seems a pre-requisite that any new Hibs manager appointed must work with the recruitment guys (Jesus, none of them seem to change, or move on). The comments Ross gave last week regarding his surprise that Oli Shaw was sold was revealing. Was this a hint at some friction with the recruitment team?

How Ross and the team are judged for the rest of the season depends on two things. First, negotiating a tricky replay on Tuesday which would, in effect, put us in the last eight of the Scottish Cup. And second, what we do in the transfer window next week. Ross must keep Boyle and take the money on offer for Kamberi. Then use this cash to get two strikers in, a defensive midfielder and a right back. Love David Gray, but Ross needs someone solid and dependable to step in as Gray does not seem to be as durable as before. James is not a Hibs calibre player.

If Ross gets anywhere near to or more than this, we could have a squad that can make a serious push for third/fourth in the league and be in the last four of the Scottish Cup.

GGTTH

Keith_M
25-01-2020, 08:39 PM
So that's 17 points from 11 games.

Extend that to each round of games and we would have 51 points at the split, plus probably about 5 points after it (going by our previous results against the teams that would also finish in the top six), so roughly 56 points for a season.

Last season we finished on 54.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2020, 08:51 PM
So that's 17 points from 11 games.

Extend that to each round of games and we would have 51 points at the split, plus probably about 5 points after it (going by our previous results against the teams that would also finish in the top six), so roughly 56 points for a season.

Last season we finished on 54.

Decent and something to build on.

We need to aim for a points total in the range of the mid-high 60s if we want to do any damage in the European places.

Hibeesmad
25-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Motherwell and Aberdeen will secure 3rd and 4th this season I think. We can aim to get 5th and win the Scottish Cup or get 5th and hope the title winners also win the Scottish Cup so we secure our target of European football.

Ideally, 3rd and a Scottish Cup.

HibeeHibernian4
25-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Motherwell and Aberdeen will secure 3rd and 4th this season I think. We can aim to get 5th and win the Scottish Cup or get 5th and hope the title winners also win the Scottish Cup so we secure our target of European football.

We don’t get Europe if we finish 5th and one of the top three win the cup, that’s 4th place.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2020, 10:26 PM

5th place doesn't get Europe.

There's only 4 European spots available to Scottish teams for next season. 3 of those spots go to 1st, 2nd and 3rd so Celtic, Rangers and by the looks of things, Motherwell.

The fourth spot goes to the winner of the Scottish Cup or if the winner of the cup is a team that's finished in the top 3 of the Premiership, that place goes to the 4th placed team.

We'll either need to break into the top 4 or win the Scottish Cup to have any chance of Europe next year.

Hibeesmad
25-01-2020, 10:31 PM
5th place doesn't get Europe.

There's only 4 European spots available to Scottish teams for next season. 3 of those spots go to 1st, 2nd and 3rd so Celtic, Rangers and by the looks of things, Motherwell.

The fourth spot goes to the winner of the Scottish Cup or if the winner of the cup is a team that's finished in the top 3 of the Premiership, that place goes to the 4th placed team.

We'll either need to break into the top 4 or win the Scottish Cup to have any chance of Europe next year.

Ah my mistake! Makes sense as we didn't get it last season 👍

tonyrougier123
26-01-2020, 01:02 AM
Absolutely delighted we appointed jack ross.

Sees and explains things incredibly well.

Makes necessary changes swiftly.

But can only use whats at his disposal.

Next step for JR is to be backed in the market or the recruitment to supply good players for us to build a formidable squad.

Keith_M
26-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Decent and something to build on.

We need to aim for a points total in the range of the mid-high 60s if we want to do any damage in the European places.

If he's given the opportunity to rebuild the team, then hopefully we can be properly challenging for Europe next season.

I'm sure none of us would be happy with a mid-table finish (no matter how badly Hearts are doing)

Sir David Gray
26-01-2020, 09:10 AM
If he's given the opportunity to rebuild the team, then hopefully we can be properly challenging for Europe next season.

I'm sure none of us would be happy with a mid-table finish (no matter how badly Hearts are doing)

Finishing 6th isn't something that's acceptable and it's imperative that we look to build a squad that's capable of competing for 3rd place.

Whilst Motherwell are the team in 3rd place, there should be no reason why we shouldn't be competing for that.

Since452
26-01-2020, 09:15 AM
We got horsed under Hecky at Fir Park last time so there is improvement there. That was a shockingly bad performance that day. I think both ourselves and Motherwell have improved since. I don't think Ross could have done much better as confidence was at rock bottom when he came in.

bigwheel
26-01-2020, 09:23 AM
We got horsed under Hecky at Fir Park last time so there is improvement there. That was a shockingly bad performance that day. I think both ourselves and Motherwell have improved since. I don't think Ross could have done much better as confidence was at rock bottom when he came in.

With the injuries we have I guess we have to keep some balance around expectations. That said, it was quite underwhelming to see us set up to play on the counter yesterday. I would have taken a point before the game, so decent result, but it was a poor performance. Really reminded me of us under PH tbh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
26-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Next step for JR is to be backed in the market or the recruitment to supply good players for us to build a formidable squad.

That's where I am he has done well since come in but needs support in the market. At St Mirren he wasn't shy at shaking things up with players moving in and out and personally wouldn't rule out more movement this week than we think.

Jim44
27-01-2020, 03:00 PM

I think this is the immediate problem for JR. I have every faith in his ability and like his style but I don’t think he will get sufficient financial backing to take us up a level. Ticking over nicely mid table appears to satisfy the powers that be, in my opinion.

Bobby's Cinema
27-01-2020, 03:08 PM
I think people have short memories of just where we were and where we were heading when he took over.

Won at Tynecastle, beat a good Motherwell and Aberdeen at ER and 4th in the form table. And this while hands seemingly tied during the window, all the chat about working with what he's got. Good start :aok:

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Jack is going to be a fantastic manager for us. The longer he is here the better.

jacomo
27-01-2020, 03:12 PM
I think this is the immediate problem for JR. I have every faith in his ability and like his style but I don’t think he will get sufficient financial backing to take us up a level. Ticking over nicely mid table appears to satisfy the powers that be, in my opinion.

From the club’s pov, we probably spent a fair bit of money in the summer and we’ve been burned. Unpicking those mistakes will take a little while.

I hope Ron understands that we have an opportunity to elevate ourselves above the bottom 6 in this league and push on.

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 03:18 PM
From the club’s pov, we probably spent a fair bit of money in the summer and we’ve been burned. Unpicking those mistakes will take a little while.

I hope Ron understands that we have an opportunity to elevate ourselves above the bottom 6 in this league and push on.

Vegan Nish is worth the money and will make us more in a year or so I reckon.

Again, I’ve no idea why he wants to invest in a Scottish side and happy for it to be hovering above top six in the table. It literally makes no sense. If it’s a ego investment it’s hardly something to boast about and if it’s a money making investment then surely he would have to invest before he makes money?

Peevemor
27-01-2020, 03:19 PM
Vegan Nish ...

Can you not just stop? It's NOT going to catch on. Ever.

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Can you not just stop? It's NOT going to catch on. Ever.

Nope. Sorry.

Peevemor
27-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Nope. Sorry.

OK, I'm now going to nickname you pishopinions.

Just 'cos!

The 90+2
27-01-2020, 03:30 PM
OK, I'm now going to nickname you pishopinions.

Just 'cos!

Why would you call me something derogatory when I’m doing nothing as such? You like my opinions, I can tell, is that a smile? :greengrin

ekhibee
27-01-2020, 05:00 PM
Results could have been better but performances have been mostly decent.

At least I can sense that he has a style he wants to play and I like how he comes across in interviews. I think he'll do really well with us.

My own view is that we just don't have a very good squad just now. I'm not hating on anyone, i just think they are all pretty much average SPFL standard players.

This season was ruined by Heckingbottom. We'll finish 5th or 6th in the league but can hopefully get to the semis of the cup at least.

Totally agree.

hibby rae
29-01-2020, 10:35 AM
4 games in 10 days and we've came out of it with 2 wins and 2 draws. That's not bad going. Given how we are a work in progress he's used the resources available to him well and rested players and reshuffled as necessary. To me he's showed again he was very much the right appointment for us.